What's wrong and how it can be fixed

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Knox.3748

Knox.3748

2000h? Take a break men. I agree that gw2 just wont improve but after playing 2000g its only ormal u get tired.

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

2000h? Take a break men. I agree that gw2 just wont improve but after playing 2000g its only ormal u get tired.

Agreed, I’m at 1400h and lost most of my enjoyment in this game. Now I log on to do my daily which takes 15-30 mins and log out and play other things. It’s not like I have to pay a monthly fee to play so it’s not a big loss if I don’t. The game will continue to change and will eventually change enough to lure me back or a better game will come out and I will completely disappear from Tyria. Either way, I had at least 1400 hours worth of enjoyment for my money. Well worth the price tag.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

I can’t offer much but to echo many of the posts here. I’m at around 1500 hours and I still love the game, but I can’t play it like I did in the first few months after launch. I do other stuff with a lot of that time, and when I’m specifically in the mood to log in to do this or that, I do it. This works well for me, since I’m able to bypass the frustrating ‘login and stand around in Lion’s Arch until I think of something I’m in the mood to do’ phase.

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I would like have liked the GW2 we had up until January. That’s when they started with all these nerfs and anti-farm initiatives.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Knox.3748

Knox.3748

Agreed, I’m at 1400h and lost most of my enjoyment in this game. Now I log on to do my daily which takes 15-30 mins and log out and play other things. It’s not like I have to pay a monthly fee to play so it’s not a big loss if I don’t. The game will continue to change and will eventually change enough to lure me back or a better game will come out and I will completely disappear from Tyria. Either way, I had at least 1400 hours worth of enjoyment for my money. Well worth the price tag.

Thats what i think. I have 1020h and i took a break 2 times already. Sometimes i just do daily, sometimes i go WvW with guildies. Not enjoying the game as i used to but thats normal. Sometimes i still think “why am i still playing this?” But im my case its not just GW2, its the mmos in general. Im not a veteran but im getting tired.

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

yes. it was November. that is the time that will be remembered as start of ,what gw2 could be, downfall. it is not dieing in player base numbers, but something else died with adding the fractals for sure. player base is maybe the same, or increasing, but community never recovered from split fractals created.. i just hope anet stops listening to grinders on forum. they are making this game… well, average… the fact its beautiful world of tyria is not gonna conceal the grind the game actually has become.

suggestion: do not add anything anymore for the next 6 months. that will let ppl actually spread out in your game world and do what they want to do. what you are doing at the moment is forcing community to go to a single location and do a single event. and you have been at it since… let me think… November.

anyone remember when ppl started complaining that there is no one in the open world? Fractals anyone? November?

Posted by: Grounder.7381

Grounder.7381

kinda agree with Op. most of my friends left already..
and lately. been feeling kinda dull,, everything feels static and stale.. nothing feels new..
most temporary event will only occupy for a few days.. discovering mini games and all.. but than.. the grind kicks in…

Posted by: Insignya.8625

Insignya.8625

I appreciate your replies. It’s both a relief and a pain to see so many of you sharing my view. To those who believe I’ve been burned out: perhaps you’re right. I’ve been playing solely Guild Wars 2 since August and to tell you the truth, it’s the first game I truly committed to. That’s why I wrote all of this, hoping a developer would see it and reflect.
I feel the community’s had way too much of an impact on the direction of the game. Colin recently stated he wanted the push game to its unique roots, but every update strays further and further from that. Perhaps it was inevitable.
I’m not talking an expansion worth of content. The content is already there – focus on the wonders you’ve achieved with creating Tyria, don’t put bars on what players can do that will be “useful”. Ultimately, what RPG gamers strife for is progress – you can spread the grind around the world and I guarantee you it will be at least a welcome step forward, even if people don’t see it at first.

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

I wasn’t aware the game was more a “grindfest” now than at release. It’s actually because it isn’t that I keep on playing it.
And people who played 2000h definitely need to get a life… that’s constant approx. 6:30 hours a days for 10 months, no matter if week day or weekend. No MMORPG developer can cater to people without a job who can play video games all day long.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

(edited by Korrigan.4837)

Posted by: Ouroboros.5076

Ouroboros.5076

TL;DR : OP played the same game 2000 hours in 10 months. That is an average of 6.57 hours a day. So OP is tired of the game.

Thank you for reading.

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

TL;DR : OP played the same game 2000 hours in 10 months. That is an average of 6.57 hours a day. So OP is tired of the game.

Thank you for reading.

Was just about to say this basically. I want Super Mario Bro’s/Duck Hunt to be as awesome as it was when I first played it in 1988 or whatever year it was, but that’s never going to happen, and no dev’s have done anything to it in the ensuing decades.

Posted by: Siebenstein.1376

Siebenstein.1376

I have to agree with OP, too. GW2 was tons of fun until November 2012. I hit 80 one ore two weeks before and got my exotic gear. I enjoyed Halloween a lot and then Anet introduced ascended gear. After that the game went downhill for me with every patch: DR, RNG, the so called “living” story … I think that attracted a lot of other players, but the fanbase that believed in the manifesto was kind of betrayed.

Except for some WvW I quit GW2 around February or March and played TSW since then. Yes, I wanted GW2 to be great but after November 2012 it just wasn’t the game I played since then.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: Arkham Creed.7358

Arkham Creed.7358

I have to agree with OP, too. GW2 was tons of fun until November 2012. I hit 80 one ore two weeks before and got my exotic gear. I enjoyed Halloween a lot and then Anet introduced ascended gear. After that the game went downhill for me with every patch: DR, RNG, the so called “living” story … I think that attracted a lot of other players, but the fanbase that believed in the manifesto was kind of betrayed.

Except for some WvW I quit GW2 around February or March and played TSW since then. Yes, I wanted GW2 to be great but after November 2012 it just wasn’t the game I played since then.

As one of the long time Guild Wars fans who believed in, and continue to believe in, the manifesto I fail to see how we were “betrayed.” Everything said in the manifesto is still true, and if anyone was betrayed it was Arena Net, as the community are the ones to wouldn’t stop telling them how awful their game was, and how all the things they were trying to do were bad ideas. Vocal minority of not; that kind of thing is what is really responsible for the current state of the game.

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

Stop thinking of GW2 like other MMO’s. You don’t feel like doing your daily? Then don’t.

You have to grind dailies, it’s the only way to get ascended gear… noone likes being weaker than everyone else, get real.

downed state is bad for PVP

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

And then it all went downhill. As if I’d missed something critical, everyone started to do what I most loathe in games – exploits. Not botting, hacking, or whatever – massive moments of “well, just another MMO….”. People stacking at the feet of a dragon, people shouting for Warriors in map chat, people pulling the boss into one corner, doing the same exact thing in every Fractal because of dumb AI (I’m not blaming the developer, these things happen in every game, but they’re usually addressed quicker) In short, it broke the immersion that I was playing something truly unique. In a moment’s notice, it was all about the grind, the whole thing had become a job, as any other MMO tends to do. What’re these people even farming? Skins? And, naturally, I became pulled by that notion, because when everyone you’ve ever played with is suddenly doing these farm events, you’ll join in if only for the sake of company. What’re you gonna do, explore Tyria alone? Roleplay? When the mass mentality is to grind, you feel left behind, even if there’s nothing to grind in actuality.

I know it’s sort of selfish and probably wouldn’t fix the Overall Problems in the game, but I really, really want them to somehow remove easily abuseable and boring boss AI in dungeons. Dragging the queen spider into that tiny alcove is killing me inside, but it’s been concluded by The Community that it’s a kitten move to demand the group you joined actually fight it in the open. So, I’m stuck unless I want to build a group from the ground up, every single time.

Similarly, fights like The Howling King and the usage of stairs. I know these bosses can still be beaten without such exploits (Yes, even Colossus Rumblus, since Grast has actually gotten much, much better on his hammer attacks) but since easymode tactics have been discovered, I never get that opportunity. A lot of groups will give it a half-hearted try once, but will never give it a second shot after they’ve learned a few things about how the fight works by experiencing it.

Again, I know it’s selfish to demand people play the way I want them to. I know that I should just ‘Make groups with like-minded people’, even if that takes a lot longer and makes me look like a snob. But can we at least agree that the community as a whole tries to cheapen and trivialize dungeon content at every opportunity, instead of being surprised that they actually succeeded?

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

(edited by Softspoken.2410)

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

100% agree with the OP. The game has not progressed into a relaxed gaming environment. It’s just become a ‘second job.’

I REALLY hope Anet/NCsoft get their acts together, because Neverwinter is looking pretty good right now.

Neverwinter is very disappointing and doesn’t have the free roaming as gw2 has.. And I hate the fact I have to look at my character like a top down view, not counting other things I have noticed which I am not going to go into… I had 2 characters, but deleted one of them.. Why have two when I won’t be playing it enough to even make it worth while to have two. It’s a mediocre game to spend my boring times in, but it is not one that I would spend hours, days or weeks at a time in.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Posted by: Tuluum.9638

Tuluum.9638

100% agree with the OP. The game has not progressed into a relaxed gaming environment. It’s just become a ‘second job.’

I REALLY hope Anet/NCsoft get their acts together, because Neverwinter is looking pretty good right now.

Neverwinter is very disappointing and doesn’t have the free roaming as gw2 has.. And I hate the fact I have to look at my character like a top down view, not counting other things I have noticed which I am not going to go into… I had 2 characters, but deleted one of them.. Why have two when I won’t be playing it enough to even make it worth while to have two. It’s a mediocre game to spend my boring times in, but it is not one that I would spend hours, days or weeks at a time in.

Plus, its a Perfect World game. For many, that is all they need to hear. Combat is pretty fun, though I dont know what you mean with the top down view.

Either way, GW2 isnt the only game out there. And, it has the benefit of being open to the player coming back whenever they please. Never hurts to try out the competition.

Henosis [ONE]
06-04-13
NEVER FORGET

Posted by: The Master.2893

The Master.2893

Yes i just recently posted something to this effect myself: “Why do we fight?”

Without a good reason it just feels like more of the same. Furthermore ArenaNet’s refusal to give any direction on anything meaningful makes it hard to figure out what is going on.

I assume by the end of the year GW2 player population will be finished once and for all given release of final battle of WoW’s Mists of Pandaria and Elder Scrolls Online.

Indeed it is so…

THE MASTER HAS SPOKEN!

Posted by: etiolate.9185

etiolate.9185

I haven’t been doing the meta boss events lately, because I got bored of them.

I have been doing Southsun a lot though because the rewards are good and it can actually be challenging.

Normally, when I get bored of one thing in the game, I find that there’s always something else to do. This can be WvWvW, alts, spvp, dungeons, or world completion. If you don’t like the meta event train then get off it.

Zed Zebes – SBI Mesmer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Interesting because that’s not been my experience at all. All of my cleric AOE abilities with target reticles actually have a centralized beam from the sky that help me aim it whenever I use them so I never have to look down i play by looking from behind my toon.

I love their economy. They have three currencies all available thru gameplay. You can actually farm and get currency, open world mobs never have issues dropping great gear, all gear is sellable no BOA here. They allow players to earn enough currency in game to buy any of the little items they might need like keys to open boxes, or the powerups. They don’t break character classes with their updates. PWE definitely has the economy thing down, they’ve got about 10 mmo’s all F2P titles. All three of their mmo’s are having heavy updates right now to bring their UI’s and content up to snuff (DCUO, STO, NWO) they’re calling them kitchen sink updates.

They also don’t limit resources for crafting. I’ve farmed their version of nodes and have all kinds of resources to get my crafting to max and still have plenty left over for the higher tier items. There’s no mystic toilet to waste our time with. Mobs drop resources just as much as the nodes do and there’s no worrying over a double RNG system. We’re also able to buy resources from the AH with in game currency and their AH system is the old style system, post something with a buyout someone buys it, which works so much better then having a TP where players with too much cash can manipulate items to sell for 1 copper (way lower then the vendors take) still to this day and it’s almost been a year.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that if devs let go and let the players handle the auction house they end up with so much better pricing than if they try to hold the reigns way way too tight. They just had an issue with players abusing a bug and they banned the accounts and the economy fixed itself. There was no roleback and there was no DR implemented nor has there been loot nerfs to try and fix it and their system has been working just fine.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: cygnus.8913

cygnus.8913

You know what? I signed in on my forum account just to reply to this.

This whole post (or two) completely touched me, it’s exactly how I feel. When the game came out, it was glorious just running around as a low-level and thinking “Wow, I can’t wait until I get that armour” or “Holy crap, that guy’s level 65 already!”. But now I’ve reached the level cap and I have some more characters. I still don’t even make that much gold and yet still, the nostalgia has worn off for me.

I still spend hours on this game, but when I look back, what have I done? Akitten in Lion’s Arch and then done the daily and dragon events. It isn’t fun. I’m looking at legendaries thinking “Wow, they’re so cool” but then I think “It’s a least 500+ hours to get one, or a hell of a lot of gold” and I instantly get disappointed at that.

Perhaps it’s just because the novelty has worn off. We’ve explored all there is to explore and now the game become people wanting their tier 6 mats and all that crap. Actually, thinking about it, legendaries are basically a major cause of our issues. They cause people to farm and that’s it. I had a friend who played every day for months since release and when he finally made his legendary, after months and months of grinding, he rarely plays anymore. But this is the real question – would people still be playing if items that take a long time to get (such as legendaries) weren’t in the game?

Overall, it’s just such a difficult topic. Have a game where it’s just exploring and people will get bored when everything’s explored (lolrhyme). Have a game of full grinding and people will have nothing to work towards. As of yet, there’s no real answer.

I think the effort vs reward balance is a little out of tune right now.

Since launch, I believe that it has become more difficult to farm and to obtain shinies whilst out in the world. My Mesmer was my first character, and has a few dozen dyes unlocked (none bought). My alts nowadays are lucky to get a few here and there.

The 1-80 experience is a blast, but I’m not a huge fan of being 80. The dungeons are ok, but I wouldn’t run them over and over and over again for tokens (and it would be nice if the tooltip told you where you could spend those, it’s not user/noob friendly). I’d like a legendary, but not enough to farm like a banshee for one. WvW is fun, but I spend most of my time in open world PvE – and that was the most fun for me when the world was teeming with players.

If you want shiny gear, you’re all set if you have enough time and effort to invest. Personally, I would really like more abilities on my characters. Have a new skill tier unlock at 80 which costs a currency to buy, so people go back out into the world in droves. I’d farm for a ‘legendary skill.’ Dot a few epic chests around the world every day at random times and make people go hunting for them, perhaps. Add temporary vendors that unlock on dynamic event completion, and give some of them nifty stuff. Have rare recipes drop out in the world. Revolve some items on the Gem Store and make them purchasable or part purchasable with Karma, even large amounts of it. Stuff like that.

Just my thoughts as someone who misses the player ‘zergs.’

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

It really is about finding people who share your play style and playing with them. I can’t stress this enough.

But it helps a whole lot to have like-minded people to share that time with.

Now while I agree with the “finding people who share your play-style”… that can only last so long. I’ve been jumping between multiple guilds, both big and small because time after time, my “play-style” gets boring for those, who have more time than me to play

You’re in the wrong guild. I never get tired of helping newbies, because I don’t play for rewards. Or, more importantly, I find helping newbies rewarding. I’m not the only person in my guild who feels this way.

Have to reiterate. I’ve been jumping around in Multiple guilds, I’m still jumping around as we speak. They start out with completely “all inclusive” intentions, but slowly devolve to “want to do fractals 20+?” or “want to farm xyz dungeon?”…

I’ll still echo Vayne there and say you’ve been jumping through the wrong guilds.

Can’t blame you as the right people are never easy to find.

It only takes one person seeking to farm xyz and run exploit abc to ruin not just a dungeon, but if left unchecked an entire guild.

In my guild we’ve actually taken breaks from dungeons and booted people to avoid this.

Rather be on an off cycle from dungeons that let some folks poison things.

I -have- run CoF story and exp. We did part of it as a guild, and I carefully PUG’d the rest. But I’ve no intentions of going back unless its with people I know. I refuse to cater to the zerker/farmers and the poison they bring to things.

Thankfully they limit themselves to CoF p1 and p2… and higher ranked fractals. So they’re very easy to avoid.

But there usually is one in every guild, and they will drag others into that mess with them – because no junkie ever wants to be alone in the crack house.

Keep searching for the right guild. I’d say us but as I noted above – we’re in a down cycle right now with the core dungeon folks not fully active (2 of them on summer vacations, but as they’re real life family I know they’re coming back soon, and another dealing with a newborn). And we’re on Tarnished Coast, active in the GMT-8 / PST timezone.

I’m sure there’s good guilds in Europe. Maybe on the European roleplay server. I find people who are in good guilds ALL THE TIME when I PUG.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

Thank you for reading.

Aye 1000x times this. He said " I became drawn to the idea of a fresh MMO that didn’t have that gray stamp on it that said “this is your job now”.", and then puts full time hours into it.

I still don’t have world completion on a single character, nor have I touched sPvP yet or completed all dungeons paths. Not because I can’t, but because I’m in no hurry to ruin the game for myself by plowing through the content. I love the game, and I moderate my consumption of the content accordingly.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I treat Guild Wars 2 as I would a bottle of 20 year old scotch. Most MMO players treat their MMO as a frat-boy treats the beer at a kegger. No wonder they get sick of it.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Stop thinking of GW2 like other MMO’s. You don’t feel like doing your daily? Then don’t.

You have to grind dailies, it’s the only way to get ascended gear… noone likes being weaker than everyone else, get real.

You can’t grind dailies. You can do them, but you can’t grind them…because they’re time limited.

The definition of grind is to do the same thing over and over again usually go get experience for leveling. But since daily CAN be done in 20 minutes, and since missing a day only sets you back a day…you really can’t grind them. In other words, as long as it takes you to do the five easiest dailies, that’s the longest you can “grind” for.

If you mean the game encourages people to do dailies daily…well, yeah, that’s sort of the point of them. It’s why they were made so easy.

If dailies are your idea of grind, there’s probably nothing more to say on the matter.

Posted by: Sola.7250

Sola.7250

It’s the same with every game, once everything is figured out & explored, that’s pretty much it. I would rather Anet release an expansion pack with new area’s to explore & new game content, than continue with these limited monthly events.

I’m afraid were in for cycle of nerf, tweak, & repeat (until no one’s happy) with more monthly limited content events for the rest of the year. One can only hope early next year we’ll seen something new.

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

Perhaps it’s just because the novelty has worn off. We’ve explored all there is to explore and now the game become people wanting their tier 6 mats and all that crap. Actually, thinking about it, legendaries are basically a major cause of our issues. They cause people to farm and that’s it. I had a friend who played every day for months since release and when he finally made his legendary, after months and months of grinding, he rarely plays anymore. But this is the real question – would people still be playing if items that take a long time to get (such as legendaries) weren’t in the game?

No they would not play, many people who are just in the mindset of old MMOs will find the biggest grind there is in a game, and do it, once that objective is done they will quit. It is pointless and stupid yet people do it in every MMO all the kitten time.

Also really, i still play and the game is still magical to me, but this is mostly due to me always playing with a friend. Playing with people who are not even remotelly like minded as you will ofcourse get you to do things you do not want.. and hence make a painfull experience.

The magic in the game is still here, it just wont be there unless you play for the fun of it.

(edited by Gathslan.1870)

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Speak for yourself. I just don’t care about stats, and the majority of groups I play with doesn’t care either. My main wasn’t full exotikittenil two months ago and still isn’t full ascended. I take my time and 30 laurels is peanuts.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

I would like have liked the GW2 we had up until January. That’s when they started with all these nerfs and anti-farm initiatives.

Yes, like the guaranteed yellows on world bosses and 200% MF in Southsun!!!

Blasted NCsoft and it’s cash-cow conspiracy!

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Yes, like the guaranteed yellows on world bosses and 200% MF in Southsun!!!

Blasted NCsoft and it’s cash-cow conspiracy!

Yes don’t mention DR at all because no one ever hits that when these event mobs start popping up, oh no that never happens. spsssh, smh.

Some of us have it permanently no matter what we do, that’s not bad luck that’s bad math.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

DR existed before January.

I never hit that and I haven’t had anyone hit it in my (small) guild. So I’m terribly sorry for you and while I don’t doubt that your problem exists, my (fallacious) experience tells me that the problem is not as widespread as you seem to imply.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

Just as a sidenote. Am I really the only one who enjoyed the southsun-storyline? I mean no it wasn’t exactely a masterpiece of sublime storytelling, but I liked the atmosphere (“like” beeing the wrong word maybe^^) and I found it immersive and pretty intense.

That fishy consortium company which tricked people into workingcontracts they are neither suited for nor do they want to do them. The consortiumpeople themselves didn’t seem all to happy with their workforces.

The settlers after happily moving to this island to start a new future and now seeing the reality but beeing trapped by a workingcontract. Wildlife going mad everywhere and attacking everything they can reach. Every minute someone loosing his nerves and going on a rampage… A madhead trying to play the hero while making everything much worse.

And in between they play paradise for some snobby tourists. Of course the story had it’s flaws and some pieces where not that awesome but overall I really liked it.

And yes of course I think they try to get people to play but after daily missions, ascended stuff and other things that I don’t like at all I think it is still a way better approach to “lure” people into the game.

(edited by Pirlipat.2479)

Posted by: Salamol.7963

Salamol.7963

2000 hours in 10 months is a lot. I played GW1 on and off for 8 years and got to around 6000 hours, and that’s my most played MMO. Play some other things for a while! It’s not that it’s bad, it’s just hard to be entertaining for 7 hours a day every day!

Just take a break until the next batch of content… oh wait that’s today! So, do that, get bored, then take a break for a few weeks!

Follow me: @Salamolign
Mist Angels [Mist] – Piken Square

Posted by: Righteous Sen.1053

Righteous Sen.1053

I think what your experiencing maybe is just that much of the content has been exhausted.

Thats how i feel now versus the sheer dopeness of this game i experienced upon release like you.

I think its only natural to get bored.

However GW1 had less content in terms of exploration than GW2 but what kept it for me was the expansions, ability to set your own skills and captivatng PVP.

I think the onus for A-Net now is to really look at how to move the game forward. I wouldnt say a huge opening of new areas is immediately necessary but certain game mechanics that imo should be obvious is GvG dedicated arenas, GVG halls and adding of new skills, thus ensuring everyone isnt running the same builds.

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Unfortunately it is inevitable for a game not to become a “grindfest” these days.

Not because of the game, but because of the people. People used to play for fun and immersion, but these days people will automatically become “grinders”. It is only about rewards now, be it by the developers’ own intentions or not.

There are a few things you can do:

1. Join the grinders.
2. Quit.
3. Play the game the way you want to and have fun with, but accept that you will be “behind” a lot of people because of their grind mentality.

Personally I am for the third option.
I do what I want to do, where I want to do it, and when I want to do it.
And in the end I will be the one leaving this game feeling satisfied and sad that it had to end, while the people with the grind mentality will ragequit and claim the game had turned into something horrible, when in fact it was those people who turned into something horrible – people who are unable to enjoy a game for what it is.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

Inb4 vayne and the rest of the usual folk. Good post and I agree.

In after Gasoline QQing about Vayne.

As for OP, not sure what I can tell you. Maybe the next MMO will be able to keep that glow after all the paths of least resistance have been discovered, I’m not entirely sold on that possibility.

In b4 Uruz jumps on the Vayne bandwagon and helps keep the clear objectivity at bay with blind fandom.

The OP is absolutely correct. Something happened around November 2012 that changed everything and it’s been downhill ever since. Most titles would have had a massive ui rebuilding system update but here we are almost at the anniversary and we haven’t seen that yet. They wanted to bring people into the open world, but focus everyone in one spot on the map with every LS update. They want people to be interested in legendaries but fail to provide any method other than farming to get one but continue to nerf viable farming locations every month.

Something is very wrong, has been for a while.

I don’t have burnout and even I can see it. I’m presently playing three other mmo’s and in none of those do i have the issues seen in this game.

I would just like to point out that most titles get a UI overhaul because the ones they launch with cough SWTOR cough are HORRIBLE messes. While GW2s is far from perfect, its totally usable and uncluttered.

Arkham Creed.7358

Some of us have it permanently no matter what we do, that’s not bad luck that’s bad math.

Actually it’s intended. Based on a tiny bit of research it appears that the anti-farm code inherited from the original Guild Wars will slap you account with permanent low drop rates if you farm too much. Arena Net doesn’t want you farming, and they will stop you from farming regardless of if you want to or not.

And before you say that you have to farm to get this or that; no. You don’t, it will just take longer to get those things if you don’t farm, like about as long as its supposed to take. You people are confusing veteran rewards with general loot and think you’re entitled to it. You’re not. Guild Wars 2 hasn’t been out long enough for their to be a real veteran player yet.

Posted by: Uruz Six.6594

Uruz Six.6594

As for OP, not sure what I can tell you. Maybe the next MMO will be able to keep that glow after all the paths of least resistance have been discovered, I’m not entirely sold on that possibility.

In b4 Uruz jumps on the Vayne bandwagon and helps keep the clear objectivity at bay with blind fandom.

In after tigirius jumps in with more QQ and haterade weeks after he said he quit the game.

Skoryy, sylvari thief: “Act now, figure out ‘with wisdom’ later.”
Nanuchka, norn mesmer: “BOOZEAHOL!”
Tarnished Coast – Still Here, El Guapo!

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

It’s the same person or his brother or something. just ignore them, they are a pair made in heaven for each other. Nothing good can come from talking to people who blindly hate others ideas and put down other people every chance they get. This forum is much more enjoyable if you just post your feelings and ignore people like this.

Calling them out just stokes the trollish fires, so to speak.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s the same person or his brother or something. just ignore them, they are a pair made in heaven for each other. Nothing good can come from talking to people who blindly hate others ideas and put down other people every chance they get. This forum is much more enjoyable if you just post your feelings and ignore people like this.

Calling them out just stokes the trollish fires, so to speak.

You and Tigirius must be related too, I assume, because you share an opinion. I mean if it’s impossible for me and Uruz to share an opinion and not be the same person, we should certainly apply that same logic to you.

Stupid post is a stupid post.

Posted by: dimgl.4786

dimgl.4786

It really is about finding people who share your play style and playing with them. I can’t stress this enough. No new MMO is going to have enough content to keep people playing indefinitely without some sort of “gimmick”. In most games that’s a raid and then a new raid, with the gearing up in between. That doesn’t work for me, and people like me.

Guild Wars 2 is doing it with temporary content and dailies. It’s not ideal but I’m not sure how they can do it better.

In six months to a year from now, they’ll have a bunch of new cool stuff that will bring back the fun to the game. I think the difference between me and others might be that I expected this phase and I’ll ride it out.

But it helps a whole lot to have like-minded people to share that time with.

Now while I agree with the “finding people who share your play-style”… that can only last so long. I’ve been jumping between multiple guilds, both big and small because time after time, my “play-style” gets boring for those, who have more time than me to play, thus progressing forward, and considering that rewards are not very favorable for those who help newbies, there’s no incentive for them to even bother trying to guide me or even play things for the fun of just doing an activity together.

It’s the reason why I’ve never done COE/COF story. The reason why people aren’t willing (and i do mean a LOT of people) to let me join a fractal run at their level when i explain due to work and living in the real world, I have not had the time to gain the experience for doing higher fractal runs, which results in me asking them to drop down to my level, and them quickly declining.

Regarding the No new mmo will have enough content. Isn’t that where User Generated Content really comes into it’s own? Obviously GW2 doesn’t and is not likely to have it, but Neverwinter doesn’t and STO didn’t seem to have a problem on that front. I feel that the emphasis on temporary, will only garner temporary players. They will come and go in one swift motion.

I agree, that in six months time-a year they will have cool stuff, but will it be “living-story” kinds of cool – enough to pop your head in for another week, and then right back out the door again – or will it be enough to pull players away from any new mmo’s that may have released in that time?

You’re in the wrong guild. I never get tired of helping newbies, because I don’t play for rewards. Or, more importantly, I find helping newbies rewarding. I’m not the only person in my guild who feels this way.

Have to reiterate. I’ve been jumping around in Multiple guilds, I’m still jumping around as we speak. They start out with completely “all inclusive” intentions, but slowly devolve to “want to do fractals 20+?” or “want to farm xyz dungeon?”…
I personally am in the boat for helping newbies, running low level stuff for the hell of it, and keeping it fun in the long run, and it seems like you’re the same…the problem is, there’s so few of us.

PS: Are you EU? Would love to break out of the “TPWars” mentality and play the the game…well…like a game, If you’ve got a decent guild to join in on, or want to run some thing together?

Sorry I’m on Tarnished Coast (US). But I’m like you…I just play the game. I don’t think I’ve ever done a speed run, and I don’t remember kicking anyone from a dungeon run. I don’t think I have. Nor have I been kicked. Though that’s probably because I run with guildies about 90% of the time.

It seems to me you spend more time lurking on the Guild Wars 2 forums blindly defending ArenaNet and this game. Maybe you should apply for the community manager position?

Also, you don’t like playing for rewards and you have never had a negative experience in an ever-changing online game. I call bullkitten. I’m happy for you, but please stop trying to discredit other people’s opinions. People don’t like this game. They come on this forum, and they give the developers their complaints and their criticisms because they have had bad experiences.

You’re doing 0 to contribute to the discussion by telling others “how you play” and “how they should play the game”, especially when you “don’t play for rewards” and you “just play”. What the hell do you even do? Also, many players don’t have the time to start a social network or become part of one. Who cares if you play with guildies? The point is, no one cares how you play. We’re talking about mechanics and design flaws of Guild Wars 2 as a whole that affects the way everyone plays.

dimgl.4786

No they would not play, many people who are just in the mindset of old MMOs will find the biggest grind there is in a game, and do it, once that objective is done they will quit. It is pointless and stupid yet people do it in every MMO all the kitten time.

Also really, i still play and the game is still magical to me, but this is mostly due to me always playing with a friend. Playing with people who are not even remotelly like minded as you will ofcourse get you to do things you do not want.. and hence make a painfull experience.

The magic in the game is still here, it just wont be there unless you play for the fun of it.

I can play Barbie: Horse Adventures with five friends and it’ll still be a kitten game. Frankly, Guild Wars 2 is not a kitten game, it is simply a game that is not fun for a lot of people. If you have the ability to play with other people in-game, why should a game only be fun when you play with a friend? It makes no sense.

I think there’s a general misconception that people in this forum don’t seem to understand:

Grinding can be fun.

I’ve never liked the way Guild Wars 2’s combat worked, but what OP is saying is that the game has gotten progressively worse. We’re straying more into the topic of “people should enjoy the game objectively” and not “the developers are not paying attention to attitudes that ruin the game”.

The problem isn’t that grinding isn’t fun, but rather other people are finding ways to more grinding more like a job format, where if you aren’t qualified or experienced you can’t do it. You also can’t do it if you don’t do it a certain way. The ArenaNet developers now have more work to do than just make the game more interesting in its mechanics, but expand and polish its existing content. We’re nine months into release; it’s unacceptable that CoF is STILL the preferred method of farming.

Arkham Creed.7358

The point is, no one cares how you play. We’re talking about mechanics and design flaws of Guild Wars 2 as a whole that affects the way everyone plays.

Unless you play as intended. It is pretty obvious by the way the game is designed and promoted that no body is supposed to play for rewards. I understand lots of people have a hard time understanding that because of what has been drilled into their skulls by the MMO industry so far, and I don’t blame anyone for it, but it is what it is. I realize that people tend to get offended when you imply that they are playing the game wrong, but those same people need to get over it because they are playing the game wrong.

Depending on how the game was designed there can be and often is a wrong way to play. That is simply a fact of the technology. And the best way to tell if you’re playing wrong is to look and see how often the way you play is getting nerfed.

Nerf = stop that

Getting nerfed = you’re doing it wrong

Farming spots (for example) getting nerfed = STOP KITTEN FARMING YOU DOLT!

Diminishing returns getting worse for grinding = STOP KITTEN GRINDING

(edited by Arkham Creed.7358)

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

The point is, no one cares how you play. We’re talking about mechanics and design flaws of Guild Wars 2 as a whole that affects the way everyone plays.

Unless you play as intended. It is pretty obvious by the way the game is designed and promoted that no body is supposed to play for rewards. I understand lots of people have a hard time understanding that because of what has been drilled into their skulls by the MMO industry so far, and I don’t blame anyone for it, but it is what it is. I realize that people tend to get offended when you imply that they are playing the game wrong, but those same people need to get over it because they are playing the game wrong.

Depending on how the game was designed there can be and often is a wrong way to play. That is simply a fact of the technology. And the best way to tell if you’re playing wrong is to look and see how often the way you play is getting nerfed.

Nerf = stop that

If you aren’t suppose to play for rewards then why have rewards? It seems obvious that a reward is there to well… reward behavior. If the behavior that is rewarded is collecting 100 charged lodestones, then aren’t you suppose to run out and collect charged lodestones.

I know that some people will say that legendaries happen over the long term and don’t try to get there. I don’t think that makes any sense. Games (and everything else in life) include a set of incentives which cause people to behave in a certain way. For example, by offering precursors, they encourage characters to throw items into the mystic forge. Great weapon skins are something that people want to pursue. Of course they are going to try to get them.

Since clearly obtaining legendary weapons requires some form of material gathering, I wish people would stop telling people to gather materials. It’s a waste of time.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

dimgl.4786

Nerf = stop that

You do understand that it’s not the MMO part that is incorrect but rather the RPG aspect… RPGs are meant to be rewarding and or progressive in nature.

In the original Guild Wars, you had a sense of progression by collecting skills and armor sets that would be functional towards different playstyles or dungeons. Similarly there were titles, albeit better than the ones in Guild Wars 2, that you can work towards to show off your commitment to the game. In other games, you are rewarded with additional skills as you level up and additional challenges. Also, once you reach the level limit your quest doesn’t just end; you then have additional challenges that you can partake in that have purpose and continue to progress your character in other ways.

In other words, telling players that they should not play for a reward is simply foolish in a game that rewards you loot that is categorized by rarity… If Guild Wars 2 was really intended to have no grind and to satisfy players who can play however they want, their design would be completely different. Why have rarities if rewards don’t matter? Why have unique loot? Why have Ascended gear? Why the emphasis on dodging for every character if we should be able to play the way we want? Why do we need a mandatory heal button? Why can’t we have a selection of weapon-based skills?

One of the major points in the Guild Wars 2 manifesto is that this is a game that you can play how you want. Other games that have role-based trinity structures allow for this type of choice too. Do you want to be the tough guy engaging in battle? Do you want to be the guy at range doing damage from afar? Do you want to be the one providing support for those actively engaged in battle? These were tangible choices that you had to those types of games and in Guild Wars 2, all of that has gone out the window.

You will forever argue that we’re playing the game wrong, but you basically sound like Steve Jobs saying “you’re holding the phone wrong”.

(edited by dimgl.4786)

dimgl.4786

In the manifesto they also told us that there would be no grinding and would rather have players go to any part of the world and quest there and yet… there are areas that are more lucrative than others, legendaries require an obscene amount of materials to make and areas are distinguished by level.

If this was truly a game that would follow the manifesto, the following would be true:

- The game would have no levels.
- All areas in the game would have unique mechanics to encourage players to play in different areas.
- Characters would be free to select skills and would not be limited to cookie-cutter builds.
- Drops would not be determined by random arbitrary numbers and instead by a number of different factors, such as number of people who have received the drop in the past hour, etc.
- The game would not have rarities and fixed items and instead would allow players to craft their own types of stats into armor…
- Dungeons would not have optimal paths…
- Legendaries would be rewarded based on extremely difficult challenges rather than time spent grinding for materials…

And way more.

(edited by dimgl.4786)

Posted by: Saldonus Darkholme.5680

Saldonus Darkholme.5680

Nerf = stop that

This post is so wrong, it’s ridiculous!

The game is not only designed to be played for rewards, it is designed to get you to BUY rewards from the cash shop!! If it did not offer a reward for doing anything, (no drops, no exp. points) THEN your argument MIGHT have merit.

And to suggest nerfs are implemented exclusively to keep players from “playing wrong”, is also incorrect. MOST nerfs are more geared towards controlling the economy than anything else. If they nerf a skill, it is because of unintended imbalance.

And to tell people NOT to grind, implement an entire endgame (fractals) that REQUIRES grind to get any of the rewards, is beyond foolish.

“Here’s a carrot, here’s how you grow it. BUT DON’T DO THAT!”

Oh brother….!

Arkham Creed.7358

One of the major points in the Guild Wars 2 manifesto is that this is a game that you can play how you want.

No it was not.

When was the last time you watched that video? A year ago? Because I just watched it and at no point was the phrase “you can play how you want to play” ever uttered. Nor anything similar. The whole video was about fun content, not methods of play nor rewards. It spoke of grind, but Colin said, and I quote “the rest of the game is this boring grind to get to the fun stuff” did you catch that? “To get to the fun stuff.” It wasn’t talking about grinding for mats or rewards, it was talking about grinding to unlock content.

I think everyone who has been bringing up that video of late needs to take six minutes to actually watch the kitten ed thing.

Posted by: Cloud.7613

Cloud.7613

GW2 will live and die by temporary content. I agree with OP in the sense that GW2 could be so much more, but still completely worth the money three times over. I also agree with some other people saying if you’ve spent that much time on GW2, maybe you are burnt out. I’m taking GW2 like a casual game, play it for the quick dailies, if I want to continue to play, that’s cool, if not, play another game.

dimgl.4786

One of the major points in the Guild Wars 2 manifesto is that this is a game that you can play how you want.

No it was not.

When was the last time you watched that video? A year ago? Because I just watched it and at no point was the phrase “you can play how you want to play” ever uttered. Nor anything similar. The whole video was about fun content, not methods of play nor rewards. It spoke of grind, but Colin said, and I quote “the rest of the game is this boring grind to get to the fun stuff” did you catch that? “To get to the fun stuff.” It wasn’t talking about grinding for mats or rewards, it was talking about grinding to unlock content.

I think everyone who has been bringing up that video of late needs to take six minutes to actually watch the kitten ed thing.

I don’t get what your point is? What do you consider fun? Mindlessly playing the game for no reason? Grinding to unlock content and grinding to get rewards are two completely different things.

“I swung a sword, I swung a sword again! Hey I swung a sword again.” That sounds to me like he was speaking about gameplay. Him and Roesbee both mention that this
game is a unique experience that is unlike anything you’ve ever played before. Why then is the combat a cookie cutter mess?

I’m not gonna bother watching that video again I already watched it A MILLION TIMES before launch.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/thread/336987/The-Tao-of-Arenanet.html

There it clearly says: 3. Play with who you want, when you want, how you want.

THIS IS AN INNOVATION ARENANET BOASTED ABOUT.