What's wrong with Guild Wars 2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lorelei.3918

Lorelei.3918

1. Too many apologists. You can’t grow unless you acknowledge your shortcomings.

2. PvE gameplay is too cut and dry, the lore is shallow and uninvolving. To qualify; even as a die hard pvper I liked raiding in wow because it was a large team effort and because the lore read like a novel, not like a series of random short stories.

3. sPvP still plays like it did during launch. WvW players are still a poor and malnourished welfare class. If you care about these two modes of game play at all then this shouldn’t need any explanation.

Kinda got sick of all the "Guild wars too is so awesum’ posts. We need some balance in the force.

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

More like:

1. SPvP is a huge step down from the acclaimed GvG fights that gave GW1 it’s competitive reputation.

2. The build system is made even more restriction by the stupidly low selection of weapons, utilities, healing skills, and elites available to each profession.

3. Too many resources are being used on the wrong things. Instead of improving the core experience, so much development time and talent has been wasted on a lackluster living story arc.

4. Too much emphasis on twitch reactions as a form of skill and not nearly enough emphasis on intelligent skill choice, skill usage, and team coordination. (PvE)

5. Too much emphasis on zerging. Not enough emphasis on small group roaming. (WvW)

6. Rewards for dynamic events, fractals, and many of the more difficult dungeon paths are pitiful.

7. The balance team does next to nothing.

8. Poor stat nomenclature balance – especially in PvE. Con damage is too worthless in PvE, while being overpowered in pvp formats. Berserker is too valuable in PvE content. Healing power is all around meh – unless you’re an SPvP bunker.

9. Underwater combat still feels like an alpha product.

And…. despite it all…..

10. Too many critics. You have to acknowledge your shortcomings, but it’s easy to get sick of all the whining posts. We need some balance in the force.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

1. Too many apologists. You can’t grow unless you acknowledge your shortcomings.

Kinda got sick of all the "Guild wars too is so awesum’ posts. We need some balance in the force.

Question: Are apologists those who defend even the most ridiculous of decisions, or those who simply defend decisions you don’t agree with?

There’s the other side of it as well. There are too many people who stick around to just make little comments that don’t help whatsoever.

Also, I’d say there are more posts critisising GW2 than posts saying what it does right.

2. PvE gameplay is too cut and dry, the lore is shallow and uninvolving. To qualify; even as a die hard pvper I liked raiding in wow because it was a large team effort and because the lore read like a novel, not like a series of random short stories.

Eh, although the story isn’t all that well written, for the most part they are all tied in with one another.

I’d also say it’s a failure if a game tells the story like any other media. Since games are interactive, they should tell the story while playing. Not make the player stop to watch a cut-scene or read a wall of text.

Although I do agree more could be done in the PvE aspect to encourage teamwork.

3. sPvP still plays like it did during launch. WvW players are still a poor and malnourished welfare class. If you care about these two modes of game play at all then this shouldn’t need any explanation.

Only played SPvP for a few games. Not really my thing.

You should explain the shortcomings, simply because your views on what needs improving may be different to someone else.

Personally, I feel WvW could use more sandbox elements (building forts of your own design instead of having them already built, not limited as to where you can build ect), along with more map variety (make a bank of maps, select from them at random, mist over the map).

Finally, rewards for winning, for example, Influence for the guilds that participated, bonus WXP. That sort of thing. I’m not a rewards driven guy, but I do recognise the winner should get something.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

More like:

1. SPvP is a huge step down from the acclaimed GvG fights that gave GW1 it’s competitive reputation.

2. The build system is made even more restriction by the stupidly low selection of weapons, utilities, healing skills, and elites available to each profession.

3. Too many resources are being used on the wrong things. Instead of improving the core experience, so much development time and talent has been wasted on a lackluster living story arc.

4. Too much emphasis on twitch reactions as a form of skill and not nearly enough emphasis on intelligent skill choice, skill usage, and team coordination. (PvE)

5. Too much emphasis on zerging. Not enough emphasis on small group roaming. (WvW)

6. Rewards for dynamic events, fractals, and many of the more difficult dungeon paths are pitiful.

8. Poor stat nomenclature balance – especially in PvE. Con damage is too worthless in PvE, while being overpowered in pvp formats. Berserker is too valuable in PvE content. Healing power is all around meh – unless you’re an SPvP bunker.

And…. despite it all…..

10. Too many critics. You have to acknowledge your shortcomings, but it’s easy to get sick of all the whining posts. We need some balance in the force.

Combat:
- Too many AoE abilities, with too little risk for the one dealing them (resulting in stacking and zerging).
- Not enough skill involved: tap a button and it does the job for you (result of having skills instead of aiming, blocking, dodging, sprinting as weapon abilities).
- Lack of friendly fire: nobody would zerg if you would be hitting allies by running in a pack of 20.
- Lack of bodyblocking: you can run through enemies as if they aren’t there, yet you can CC them.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

whatever everyone said is right but the biggest problem is that the focusing their resources in the wrong things, as someone said before instead of fixing the combat, balance, bugs and personal story which imo is the worst personal story ive done in mmo ever, they give us bad LS and it would be better if it was good this content, but nah, is not.

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

More like:

this one nailed it.

Posted by: Lysander Freeman.4186

Lysander Freeman.4186

How about give us something kittening new to kill and do that expands the world. Expansion, please. Returned to the game a bit ago and will be taking another break again soon. Sill no precursor and still very little new and permanent in the game.

It’s a money grind… how much money can you make today doing the same thing you’ve done 500 times already, etc. That’s not much of a game to me.

I say stop upgrading the old kitten, give us new and better kitten.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

More like:

And…. despite it all…..

good post!

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Dench.5968

Dench.5968

The game has stagnated for me. The living story is not all that it’s cracked up to be, in my opinion. We have a massive map with huge portions of the world closed off. Instead we get tedious and grinding living story patches that I have zero interest in participating in.

I want to grow my toon. I can’t anymore. I have 3 legendary weapons, all ascended jewelry and now ascended armor that I crafted out of sheer boredom to have something to do with my toon besides rehash the nightmare that is Tix’s air ship.

Expansion, please. New skills, please. Guild vs Guild in the PvE world, please. Level cap raise with new areas, please. New races, please. Etc, etc, etc.

The only thing I can expect is more living story, which is the exact thing I don’t want to do. Starting to think I’m on the verge of another 3+ month break from the title, which is a total shame since there is plenty I could be doing had the .dev team focused on other things.

Oh well. GW2 is still a good game at its core.

Posted by: deathklock.4961

deathklock.4961

I have never played a MMO before that had such a vast amount of worthless loot, time vs reward is a total joke in this game.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Did a bunch of accounts just get off another in a series of forum bans? Same whines are back after a short absence.

Posted by: Sothe.5639

Sothe.5639

And there come the recycling feature making trash gold.
There may be apologist but there is also a huge amount of guys you see blaming the game all the day. Most of the time they just critize like a machin.

Posted by: kntz.1420

kntz.1420

GW2 still the best MMO in terms of art direction and action combat, beats all the others.

What GW2 needs:

- Factions
- Open PvP everywhere and duels (with option flag: pvp on ou off.
- Police, trial and prisons
- Better and valuable loot everywhere
- More Pve maps (open PvP)
- Housing in WxWxW
- More traditional quest and better rewarding
- Portuguese translation

By the way, from another forum:

“Hello!

Games are a psychological experience. And the way they feel is of paramount importance.

That being said, let me use examples from original ____ to show what constitutes ____ feel:

Real danger was often imminent, and you really didn’t want to die. This kept players in a state of high awareness and thus complete immersion.

Players relied on each other for both complex and mundane tasks. (res, TP, buffs, CR, etc)

Trade skills required devotion to max out, causing those players to become highly valued.

Players could engage in complex tasks and build a reputation in the community. This led to appreciation, attention, and new relationships.

Quests could be long, hard, and elusive… but very rewarding. (epic weapons)

Players valued what they earned, since it usually required considerable effort.

Traveling was not always trivial, and was often scary.

Players learned to share, since for a long time, instances did not exist. Instancing disconnects players from the living world, thus breaking the feeling of truly being part of it.

The game was a rich journey to be savored, instead of just an aggressive min-maxing hunt.

These were the things that made ____ so memorable. There was persistence of alertness, determination, length, care, accomplishment, proper rewards, and daily collaboration among strangers. This is what I believe ____ needs.

Modern games are too often designed to cater to the lowest common denominator. Spoon-fed quests. Mindless killing. Minimal thinking. Content fed through a fire hose. Instant gratification. Short-lived gear. Flashy character appearance. Horrific communities. User interfaces that automate everything.

I hope the development team reads these forums.

Thanks"

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Same whines are back after a short absence.

They’re not whines, they’re feedback. If the feedback keeps coming back, it means it has a foundation, and there IS a problem.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Destai.9603

Destai.9603

More like:

And…. despite it all…..

11. Too many unfinished details. For instance, the personal story is only instanced adventure we can partake. There are no arcs for the orders, for other factions, it’s just that one. Even the supporting systems, such as charm and dignity fall to the side. The cities are empty – no minimgames or storylines to partake in. Southsun cove is a wasted idea – there’s no reason to go there. They stopped the story destiny’s edge, as bad as it was, and now we’re onto living story. All of this adds to a sense of incompleteness in a world ripe with potential.

12. Bucking tradition. There are certain things in MMOs that exist for a reason. The trinity existed to support roles, the very cornerstone of roleplaying games. Without it, the game becomes a race to burn down foes, rather than enjoying the style of your role. The abilities between professions (why can’t they be called classes?) becomes amorphis after a while when the focus is on zerging. Their refusal to add raids negates any change at having a meaningful team fight, and when an efficient method of beating a boss is found, it’s nerfed. Their refusal to add additional permanent dungeons further inhibits. Everything that makes an MMO what it is, is being denied in favour of a living world – an even more shallow product than the vanilla game. They had a great product at launch, and rather than strengthening it and adding more of what players love, we’re given achievements. So many MMOs add dungeons and zones in patchs – and leave the kitten things in there – so those games have a sense of history and don’t rush players to eshew their long term goals.

This game is better because of its critics. We could just go elsewhere, we could ask for a refund. Instead we stick around because we believe in the game and want to see it become as fulfilling as it can be.

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

No energy means no ressource management, which lead us to the zergy and spammy gameplay we have now.

Posted by: Mordalus.8146

Mordalus.8146

1. too grindy
2. particle effects too heavy (one shot in zergs because can’t see boss telegraphing)
3. zerker build only viable build in pve
4. instance ownership griefing

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

2. particle effects too heavy (one shot in zergs because can’t see boss telegraphing)

Re #2 – Need option to turn particle effects off. REALLY miss that about my EQ days.

Re #3 – Only? No.

Re #4 – Yes, well, that needs to get some attention. Seriously.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Mordalus.8146

Re #2 – Need option to turn particle effects off. REALLY miss that about my EQ days.

Re #3 – Only? No.

I’ll elaborate on #3. Zerker is the most efficient, highest dps build. On top of that, many parties don’t want anything other than zerkers. I’ve seen people get booted once their non-zerker build was revealed during play. Especially condy builds. Two condy builds in a party and you can be sure at least one of them is getting booted.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Re #3 – Only? No.

I’ll elaborate on #3. Zerker is the most efficient, highest dps build. On top of that, many parties don’t want anything other than zerkers. I’ve seen people get booted once their non-zerker build was revealed during play. Especially condy builds. Two condy builds in a party and you can be sure at least one of them is getting booted.

Well most efficient DPS is probably not going to change but that doesn’t mean other builds aren’t viable. Only that they’re not as efficient at DPS, and in some cases that’s not always good. (Those cases are, to note, very situational.)

The latter half of this is a social issue about people and not something simply fixed. Also – never been booted for not being zerker. Been booted for being a ranger, but not something other than zerker.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Mordalus.8146

More like:

I agree with most of your post. However, I think sPvP is hella fun when the group is properly matched. The matchmaking sucks though even after the recent patch. Also a decent reward system is needed and other modes of PvP like GvG as you suggest. Better rewards are on the way but they’ve said these kinds of things before and rewards are always lackluster. Would love to see some GvG.

Posted by: seekerking.2875

seekerking.2875

I have never played a MMO before that had such a vast amount of worthless loot, time vs reward is a total joke in this game.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Glob_of_Globby_Goo
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Glob_of_Globby_Gloop

What could you possibly be referring to!?

Tobias Trueflight.8350

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Glob_of_Globby_Goo
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Glob_of_Globby_Gloop

What could you possibly be referring to!?

Vast amount of worthless loot? EverQuest had tons of stuff which was not “worthless” in the sense of you could always get something for stuff. Of course, that’s until you start comparing values . . .

Also, by some aspects, UO had absolutely terrible NPC loot outside of a few places. It was the PCs which had the good stuff.