What the new tags will inevitably become...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Is there a Green one ? my toon is all green so if there is a green one i am so gonna buy it and have it on 24/7 and no i don’t command Ever and have chat box on combat so no one can bug me lol

Ohh, I have an all-white charr, if there’s a white one I may buy it!

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

I decided to be a kool kid and I bought a commander’s compendium. Maybe when the patch hits, it’ll let me pick a color. If not, I’m content with bloo.

#noobcomm

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

If they didn’t charge extra for the colors, and just increased the price, everyone would buy it now for 100 gold, get all the colors after the patch, and the price increase would be rendered pointless. I know you guys say that you need colors to coordinate, but you seem to be doing okay now. Why are colors essential? I get that they’re nice to have, but essential?

Posted by: Ignavia.7420

Ignavia.7420

If they didn’t charge extra for the colors, and just increased the price, everyone would buy it now for 100 gold, get all the colors after the patch, and the price increase would be rendered pointless. I know you guys say that you need colors to coordinate, but you seem to be doing okay now. Why are colors essential? I get that they’re nice to have, but essential?

Nothing is essential, you get along fine without commander tags at all, you could play the game if there was no Eternal Battlegrounds, some people would also like the game if there was no WvW at all. It’s just a matter of how good the game wants to be.

Colors are a nice way to organize multiple commander. You can look at the map and see — or at least limit — right away which commander you want to join. A second step could be squad descriptions. Just like that you can find out in a couple of seconds what is going on on a map.

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

I think the better question is…

Why make a feature that has the purpose of improving the ease coordination then put a huge money barrier in front of it to the point most commanders would not use it?

It just seems very counter productive if the features purpose is to improve the coordination of commanders and the player base and make it to where you have to pay upwards of 1000+ gold to make full use of that feature.

I could be mistaken about the purpose, it could just be a huge money sink to deflate the economy. But, this is not the purpose most players wanted color coded commanders.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

Posted by: Bartas.4908

Bartas.4908

IMO this idea is stupid as hell but I know that at least on my server people would gladly donate few gold for our commanders so every one of them will have all tags at day 1.

Thanks to our commanders, be it EB, BL or EotM ones I made so much gold I will gladly donate 10, 20 or even 100. Not to mention all the fun they gave me.

Proud member of [BOO]
Thief/Necro/Guardian/Mesmer/Elementalist of SFR EU

Esplen.3940

You’ll donate fun? I should use my commander tag and get my payment of fun before the feature patch!

Posted by: int randInt return.7810

int randInt return.7810

Ok now I’m curious.
What would the game be like if everyone with a tag was just using it as a vanity item and leaving it active all the time?
Might be interesting to see just for a day or two.

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

Thank you,

Wow…

For 300g I think ill just stay blue and have people deal with it when I’m commanding.

Here I thought this feature was to make things easier on commanders and organizing players.. not burden them with a gold sink to even make use of the feature.

Totally defeats the purpose if 3 commanders that own the same color are commanding at the same time and are locked into the same color. Does nobody at Anet actually play the game or think things through?

Really what is the point of the feature if commanders cant switch colors easily to fit the current situation?

I know they play the game. I see Anet tags up on SBI all the time in WvW. I think the problem comes from greedy management telling them to make it 300 gold so players will be forced to trade in gems.

It’s okay for certain things, but not for items designed to help organized a system that really needs better tools.

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

This thread is incredible. Maybe I can explain further. Colors are in no way mandatory! The price change has literally nothing to do with the introduction of colors! Anet can’t win. lol. Currently, you pay 100g for commander’s tag and can use that tag for only one character. After patch, you pay 300 gold for a commander’s tag and get your choice of color, only now you can use that tag on any character you have, thus the reason why the price has increased. It’s the same thing that happened when they changed unlimited gathering tools from being soul bound to being account bound. There is no money barrier that didn’t already exist (gold is easier to obtain now, 300 gold is not out of reach of a casual player) and they are not trying to force anyone to trade gems for gold. There is no conspiracy!

Now I know that many antagonists here will simply disagree and continue to complain, but those are the facts.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

Esplen.3940

Ok now I’m curious.
What would the game be like if everyone with a tag was just using it as a vanity item and leaving it active all the time?
Might be interesting to see just for a day or two.

I bought a compendium because of the price spike and account-boundeyness. I mainly do dungeons so I don’t particularly care about WvW.

Oh, and I have a character who’s called Legenday Beginner, so I’ll now be able to roll around in WvW as Commander Legendary Beginner and totally fail without going… out of character ba-dum-tsh.

Posted by: Glaciate.3901

Glaciate.3901

Account bound commander tag brings Uplevel commanders?

Esplen.3940

Commander in Tutorial stages for more Dorito goodness.

Posted by: GenoUnknown.7504

GenoUnknown.7504

(gold is easier to obtain now, 300 gold is not out of reach of a casual player)

Lies! I’m a casual player and I can barely scratch together 100g in a month! :P

Kisu Beki(Guardian) | Suki The Great (Warrior) | Suki Grimm (Necromancer)
Geno Bishou (Elementist) | Suki The Huntress (Ranger) | Geno The Unknown (Thief)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I have seen some posters claiming that anyone that can’t earn 100g daily is obviously not playing the game. It’s clear that people like that will have very unrealistic vision of what is a “casual gameplay”. Or how big is the ingame wealth disparity.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

How can you show off with 300g ? 300g is nothing now, because of the inflation/devaluation.
It’s just the old 100g.

Stop PvEing and play WvW for an entire week, at the end if the week tell me how much gold you make compared to your regular play style.

There are many people who command and WvW exclusively who don’t have 300 gold. I’ve never had more than 360 gold myself and all I do is WvW, I’ve not even done any of the new living story content.

Charging players for a tool designed to make organization easier is a joke too.

I guess you don’t sell your crafting mats?

You mean the crappy tier materials you find in the Boderlands? And let me stop commanding/responding to an attack to mine every node on the way.

Commanders don’t have the luxury of stopping 20 people to mine every resource node on the map when moving to A to B.

You get plenty heavy loot bags, .. save up 250 or 500, then open, then sell all you get.

easy gold.

And yes, it is, you can get quite alot of good loot from those heavy bags. And depending on the skirmishes you can end up with alot of those bags in sitting.

So unless you’re not killing anything…I find it hard to believe that you are really making nothing.
Yes, you don’t make hard gold as easy as pve players, this is balanced in that you get crafting materials easier.

Posted by: Aetheldrake.6395

Aetheldrake.6395

although it Could be a vanity item
your analogy is flawed, it’s more like the army commander who is too stubborn or cheap to invest in an adequate number and variation of Battle Standards ultimately leading to a tactical failure

I’m not too stubborn, I can’t afford to spend 300 gold on the item. I don’t PvE and I don’t grind dungeons for gold. All I do is WvW and the most gold I’ve ever had was 356. I know I’m a minority but many of the commanders I’ve spoken to are in the same boat.

I would like to imagine I’m slowly saving enough to purchase my precursor, nearly a year and half later when many players already have one.

youre not a minority, the minority is the handful of people with ungodly amounts of cash

then theres everyone else

its the same as the real world, a handful of super rich
everyone else

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

I have seen some posters claiming that anyone that can’t earn 100g daily is obviously not playing the game. It’s clear that people like that will have very unrealistic vision of what is a “casual gameplay”. Or how big is the ingame wealth disparity.

My wife hardly ever has time to play and when she does she just wants to get on and do some hotjoin matches. She currently has well over 100g from doin hotjoin about 2 hours a week. And I constantly just ask her to send me gold since she’s not using it. Trust me, 300g is as easy to obtain as 100g used to be.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

Posted by: Resubian.5823

Resubian.5823

Not going to be a status thing, the people who paid 100g will get all colors, just like the people who paid 300g will get all colors.

Posted by: SolviteSekai.9816

SolviteSekai.9816

This thread is incredible. Maybe I can explain further. Colors are in no way mandatory! The price change has literally nothing to do with the introduction of colors! Anet can’t win. lol. Currently, you pay 100g for commander’s tag and can use that tag for only one character. After patch, you pay 300 gold for a commander’s tag and get your choice of color, only now you can use that tag on any character you have, thus the reason why the price has increased. It’s the same thing that happened when they changed unlimited gathering tools from being soul bound to being account bound. There is no money barrier that didn’t already exist (gold is easier to obtain now, 300 gold is not out of reach of a casual player) and they are not trying to force anyone to trade gems for gold. There is no conspiracy!

Now I know that many antagonists here will simply disagree and continue to complain, but those are the facts.

Why would a casual player be a commander anyway?

Posted by: ST Babaganosh.3745

ST Babaganosh.3745

Are the colors not being introduced to encourage tactical strategy and organization VS massive zerg running around the map? Maybes it’s my server but I have yet to play WVW and see anything the remotely resembles strategy. It is nothing more than form up on my tag run around from site to site, with the occasional other team spotted here get your speed boost out and run over there for a bit and hope we have more people ! It make sensethat on a server with a well-organized team who communicate with each other the colors are needed each person picks a color and from there they are able to provide better coverage on a map and focus on individual tasks.

The descriptions of WVW has always been that some large teams will take large targets smaller teams and the occasional individual will take smaller points. Allowing players to be part of the action in a manner they choose- from the press releases just before/after the game was released and clearly reading this press release the developers are trying to push players to play WVW the way it was intended. Additionally the extra colors will make great addition to massive Living world events that require a bit more organization such as Teq and the marionette allowing players who may not be commander identify what they are supposed to be doing (assuming the commander knows and is just tagging cause hey they paid for it!)
On the PVE side The commander system is in place to organize massive events not to form a zerg rush/farming run. Sadly the game although planned and designed well, It falls short because a large player base insisting on crafting grind and loot drops.

I suspect most of the rage comes from that fact that everyone wants to be the great leader and forcing people to pick a color and possibly forcing them to play “smaller” role in the attack could be upsetting to some and fair enough that’s what video games have traditionally been about. Being more than you are in life; an escape into something more exciting, and who really wants to give that up?

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Potential coordination tactics, I would expect. I can imagine this happening: Blue Dorito assaults the keep, Yellow and Green Doritos could distract the enemy on these two sides to prevent them from catching up to us.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!