What will kill GW2

What will kill GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Assassinin.4963

Assassinin.4963

I am not trying to be funny for suggesting this thread but the threat may be real and probably imminent.

For me, what will kill GW2 eventually will be the day when WoW adopts free-to-pay model like GW2. Atm, WoW still has ‘healthy’ revenue but it is likely a diminishing one as time passes. There will be a revenue floor threshold where once crossed, it will benefit WoW more to go free-to-pay.

While new content may provide a temporary spike in revenue for GW2, unpolished new content will add more frustration to players on top of existing bugs which remains unsolved. Players’ loyalty vs new content, and in the light of the above imminent threat scenario, I hope Anet makes its wise choice. Good luck.

What will kill GW2

Posted by: xiv.7136

xiv.7136

WoW is very old, very ugly and quite dull. F2P won’t change that.

It’s full of kids and immature adults who attach their ego to how high their item score is, and basically join a sort of “rat race” comparing themselves to others on the basis of gear, like people in RL who attach their egos to their furniture or how many cars they have.

That’s why some people get “stuck” in WoW chasing pixels, and I have nothing but pity for them.

The small amount of ascended gear does not a rat race make, believe me. When your entire ability to do anything in the game depends on the colour and numbers on your pixels, that’s when you’re in a gear treadmill.

(edited by xiv.7136)

What will kill GW2

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

While new content may provide a temporary spike in revenue for GW2 .

i’d like to discuss this….

If a player likes vertical progression there are tons of better games for them already…
Why on earth should they leave what they are doing to play gw2?

They just will have back thise few players who likes to farm that didn t knew what they were buying…

And lose much more…..

I think Anet and NCsoft perfectly know this……they aren t doing this for the game, they are doing this for another reason we don t know (i have few plausible theories knowing a little how VG market works)…..

They’ ll have 4 types of players:

1) some really “dedicated” that will spend a lot real moneys to get legendary sets.
2) casual players that used to spend some moneys just to support the game that won t leave because they have friends here….but won t spend moneys again pissed off from the situation
3) people that will leave angered by the treatment and will avoid any other game from NCsoft and Anet in the future….
4) people who will accept this, play for a month then leave as the next mmorpg will be realeased

i think 2 and 3 have the most impact on the game…..

The small amount of ascended gear does not a rat race make, believe me. When your entire ability to do anything in the game depends on the colour and numbers on your pixels, that’s when you’re in a gear treadmill.

tell me how you are supposed to face the new condition without your pink pixels

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

What will kill GW2

Posted by: xiv.7136

xiv.7136

You forgot:

5) the 90% of the playerbase that doesn’t come to forums or have any strong beliefs either way and that just plays and will continue to play whenever they feel like it, because the game is F2P.

What will kill GW2

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

-Lying to customers
-Empty zones because everyone is farming Fractals until they die(I dont think zones are empty yet…just saying…)
-Lying to customers
-Not responding adequately to customer concerns when ther ewas a 9000 post thread about one particular issue
-Lying to customers
-gear grind

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Zplus.4217

Zplus.4217

You forgot:

5) the 90% of the playerbase that doesn’t come to forums or have any strong beliefs either way and that just plays and will continue to play whenever they feel like it, because the game is F2P.

You also forgot:

This isnt a “strong believes” issue, its a game direction change that affects the game play, so unless those “90%” of the player base don’t actually play the game, they will sooner or later realise the obvious change in game system and think to themselves: “Hey I’m actually grinding for gears for sometime now, I may as well just grind the one that I had for years with my grindfest panda friends.”

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Assassinin.4963

Assassinin.4963

The silent majority is probably the biggest threat because they don’t care whichever way GW2 develop. They just go where there is more fun. They will leave the game at the first instant when the tide turn.

The ‘noisy troublemaker’ complainer minority are those who worries and cares about this game to feel frustrated to complain. They are vested into this game and will not want to see it go down to the competitors.

So, cool down the bashing of the ‘noisy’ minority. Silence of the majority does not mean approval. It probably meant apathy.

What will kill GW2

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

For me it’s when I’m not having fun any more. I fear Puritans more than I fear gear grinding. I can ‘choose’ not to participate in gear grinds, so long as I find other things fun to do (though, WvW is currently a large part of my fun, and if not participating in gear grind makes that less enjoyable, that’ll hurt). Now, if new in-between gear can be crafted by crafters, like Exotics, then I’m all in.

I like making things. I just don’t care for dungeons and the social baggage, pressures, stress, specific time commitment that goes with them. In WvW, I can spend 15 minutes helping take a keep, but if I gotta stop and do something, I can stop and do something and they don’t suffer much when I’m gone, and pop back in when I can. My time is my own. I’m not a slave for 2 hours to 4 other people.

But getting back to Puritans. They are my biggest fear, because the things they passively aggressively voice their concerns about end up being ‘all or none’ type things where choices and options are squished. That would cause me to go.

I certainly wouldn’t go play WoW again. I’d do nothing, or anything new that seemed interesting. I’m a TSW player as well, I like that game. Having a difficult time with it lately because I upgraded to Windows 8 and it’s not gelling well with 8 and my nVidia card and DX11, sadly.

I never look at a game and say it’s dead or it’s a killer of something else. I’m there when I’m having fun, I’m gone when I’m not. I’ve never understood the need to put a grand label on something relative to whether I’m playing it or not, like I’m in a Sorority or Fraternity and inheriting a mob mentality that puts down whatever is not the collective. Doesn’t seem terribly healthy or realistic.

Why must something be a WoW Killer while you (not OP you, just a hypothetical ‘you’ to anyone who makes a comment like that) are playing it?

Why must something be declared ‘dead’ when you decide not to go play it any more (because you moved on to another game…which…is clearly ‘the WoW Killer’)?

I’m all for comparing features in games, or leveraging an existing feature in another game to help describe what you want (I have recently used how TSW allows you to make tiny camera movements with each mouse ‘tick’ to describe how I ‘hope’ GW2 changes their camera movement in the future, as an example). What I don’t get is the whole ‘threatening’ thing (if you don’t implement LFG, then your game will ‘die’, and I’ll go play [the next WoW-Killer]).

And the cycle continues.

Didn’t used to be so bad. Mostly been the last maybe 5 years where this cycle seems to jump from game forum to game forum like a plague of locusts. An interesting experiment would be to make a forum with a bunch of hi-jacked threads from other game forums the past 5 years, removing anything specific that lets you identify exactly what game they are talking about (always using [current game] and [next new awesome current game killer] as replacements). And then after letting us read a bunch of those for a month, let us know which game forums they came from.

That’d be an interesting read.

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Thereon.3495

Thereon.3495

I think youre looking at GW2 the wrong way. I see the game as so different to WoW that it shouldnt be classed in the same bracket. Its a hell of a lot more casual, even with the ascended ‘grind’ and has a very different feel, look and content structure. We should stop looking at GW2 as one of the potential ‘WoW killers’ and start looking at it from a casual standpoint.

The vanilla game is designed so that if you wish you could play both WoW and GW2. Its pick up and play. The new content may encourage a few people to quit WoW but thats not its intended purpose. Its main job is to give those that want it more to do post-80 to keep them in the game more than anything while also having the effect of encouraging more WoW(or other standard model MMOs) to try GW2 out.

Thereon Avenrise – former [Noes] Officer – Piken Square (EU)
Retired and living in a shack. Relaxing!

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Ruby Red.4019

Ruby Red.4019

You forgot:

ANet are the ones that forgot this playerbase I think.

And the percentage of that 90% that leave.. without announcing it to the forums?

Priceless!

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Cloudwalkernz.1328

Cloudwalkernz.1328

That’d be an interesting read.

Interesting and well thought out thread. Like you I don’t think any thing will kill GW2 or it is dying.

I think a better way to put it is that GW2 is no way living up to its full potential and need to try a lot harder if it want to continue the GW legacy (lol sound like my old school report )

I am not going to list the ills of GW2 as I believe most players have their own lists.

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Bolt.8791

Bolt.8791

Lack of challenge and competition. Well, it was born dead since there isn’t any atm.

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Delolith.9645

Delolith.9645

So, cool down the bashing of the ‘noisy’ minority. Silence of the majority does not mean approval. It probably meant apathy.

Apathy towards such posts as yours probably. Apathy towards the game, I don’t think so…

What will kill GW2

Posted by: phooka.4295

phooka.4295

My entire guild (mostly coming from LotRO / Rift) is deeply disappointed and can be described (at least) as having lost passion about GW2.

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Thorgrum.4679

Thorgrum.4679

The silent majority is probably the biggest threat because they don’t care whichever way GW2 develop. They just go where there is more fun. They will leave the game at the first instant when the tide turn.

The ‘noisy troublemaker’ complainer minority are those who worries and cares about this game to feel frustrated to complain. They are vested into this game and will not want to see it go down to the competitors.

Im one of the silent majority (well mostly silent) I dont post much and play games as a hobby. Im 40+ have disposable income to spend on my hobby, Im the perfect customer for MMO’s (I play a few). I came to GW2 with 3 things in mind:

1. PvP/WvWvW play: Its had some problems, while not game breaking from time to time those problems were prohibitive of fun.

2. To play a ranger and be viable: I always play ranged classes in MMO’s, i like it. The Ranger in Gw2 is the absolute lowest toon on the totem pole. That wouldnt be so bad if the pets werent crap.

3. I dont want to grind. I leveled to 80 I did what I needed to do in PVE even did the Orr karma trains to get gear. I want to be done and competitive. Im seeing the begining of the treadmill (ascended gear is absolutely a gate way to the grind) to be competitive in the areas I enjoy.

Im close to leaving the game, the ranger patch was a joke. Im the guy they want to keep dumb fat and happy, MMO’s love me I have a $75 a month budget for video games, if there is something worth purchasing.

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Rakhar.4615

Rakhar.4615

What will kill any game… People going into a game with the attitude that if everything doesn’t go their way they will just leave. The MMO community on a whole seems to always be on the lookout for the “perfect game”, some holy grail that they will play for 10 years without buying another game. It doesn’t exist, and the constant game hopping a lot of people do only fuels more mediocre games being put on the market to soak them up for a few months.

Personally I think that there are VERY few MMO games that are not completely fun to play with friends. I can log into any major MMO on the market with a friend and have fun. The people make the game fun. I can meet new people, enjoy the game experience, and then when you look at the forums it’s all posts about how the world is going to end because some aspect of the game is horrible or some people didn’t agree with some change.

I don’t see anything in GW2 that would make me quit in outrage or ruin my fun, nor do I see ANet doing anything to hasten that.

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Xeres.3724

Xeres.3724

Probably its “fans”. Because no matter what ANet does there will be a group of fans (large or small) who won’t like it – come to these forums and complain about it. But instead of constructively criticising the decision you’ll get a ton of posts about how the game is dying, etc.

What will kill GW2

Posted by: xtorma.1283

xtorma.1283

Probably its “fans”. Because no matter what ANet does there will be a group of fans (large or small) who won’t like it – come to these forums and complain about it. But instead of constructively criticising the decision you’ll get a ton of posts about how the game is dying, etc.

Plenty of constructive criticisim.

Baron Irongut – Warrior-

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Not fixing my Ranger, and making it a Ranger I will be proud to play.
The grind.
Lack of content.
Did I mention my Ranger, that’s the worst thing for me, being told it would be fixed, and it’s not, all we got was some silly stuff that I don’t use anyway.

Oh and the obstructed stuff and invulnerable rubbish.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

(edited by Solid Gold.9310)

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Hunterdan.4921

Hunterdan.4921

I dunno man. I don’t play WoW because gasp I’ve already played it before. Not because $15 a month is going to make or break factor in my decision to do something.

Even if they were to pay me $15 a month to play, I would probably not do so as I simply do not have the free time.

What will kill GW2

Posted by: lagrangeify.5641

lagrangeify.5641

I’ve played WoW literally to death, to the point that my involvement in it’s pve experience amounts to exploitation of something I know so intimately well that I might as well be a bot. It’s now so kitten fugly that even I, someone who generally isn’t all that bothered about high graphic fidelity, can never go back to that lumpen, etch-a-sketch world, not after Tyria anyway.

I’m not an Eve sort of player, though I do admire what it does for sure. I’m just not driven enough and I don’t have even remotely the amount of time required to succeed in that game, and I don’t like it’s setting anyway.

That leaves the former P2Ps that have gone FTP (the purpose built FTPs almost universally suck imho), and since I played most of them when they had a sub and didn’t like them enough to stick with them, I can think of no possible reason why I’d want to play them over GW2. They weren’t that hot when they were subbed, nothing about not being subbed makes that any less the case.

That leaves me with GW2. I’m enjoying it immensely. But then I’m at a time in my life when the things it offers me are hitting my sweet spot. I can quite understand that the more careerist MMO gamer is looking for something that will hit their’s, though I humbly submit that such a game simply does not exist in the genre.

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Amulrei.4973

Amulrei.4973

The dishonesty is the worst problem I think. All the months of reading “The Golden Rules of GW2” or Design Manifestos that turned out to be nothing but rubbish. No one likes being lied to and hates being made a fool out of even more. AN has done both in the space of a single week.

I also think they handled the post-launch development poorly. For example there seems to be a gross misallocation of resources if there is only two bloody people working on balancing and testing every profession in the game.

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Archer.6485

Archer.6485

You know your game is doing well when people start looking for it’s “killer”

Will F2P WoW be the GW2 killer? Or will TESO be the one that finally sinks it? :P

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Curlybaby.6258

Curlybaby.6258

The dishonesty is the worst problem I think. All the months of reading “The Golden Rules of GW2” or Design Manifestos that turned out to be nothing but rubbish. No one likes being lied to and hates being made a fool out of even more. AN has done both in the space of a single week.

The above is worth quoting.

It is teh “biggy” for me.

It was all “hype” after all, wasn’t it?

We are not hamsters!

What will kill GW2

Posted by: HyDraLiNsK.2470

HyDraLiNsK.2470

You know your game is doing well when people start looking for it’s “killer”

Will F2P WoW be the GW2 killer? Or will TESO be the one that finally sinks it? :P

No doubt. What an interesting turn of ironic events…

Will WoW be the one to dethrone GW? FINALLY?!?!?!

lol

“This rose has thorns…. here they are!!”

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I’ve played WoW literally to death, to the point that my involvement in it’s pve experience amounts to exploitation of something I know so intimately well that I might as well be a bot. It’s now so kitten fugly that even I, someone who generally isn’t all that bothered about high graphic fidelity, can never go back to that lumpen, etch-a-sketch world, not after Tyria anyway.

I’m not an Eve sort of player, though I do admire what it does for sure. I’m just not driven enough and I don’t have even remotely the amount of time required to succeed in that game, and I don’t like it’s setting anyway.

That leaves the former P2Ps that have gone FTP (the purpose built FTPs almost universally suck imho), and since I played most of them when they had a sub and didn’t like them enough to stick with them, I can think of no possible reason why I’d want to play them over GW2. They weren’t that hot when they were subbed, nothing about not being subbed makes that any less the case.

That leaves me with GW2. I’m enjoying it immensely. But then I’m at a time in my life when the things it offers me are hitting my sweet spot. I can quite understand that the more careerist MMO gamer is looking for something that will hit their’s, though I humbly submit that such a game simply does not exist in the genre.

Well said.

I quit WoW long before I found GW2, there is nothing that GW2 can or cannot do that would tempt me to go back to WoW.

If I were to choose to stop playing GW2, I have a huge list of gaming and non-gaming things to do – WoW doesn’t even make it to the bottom of that list.

I too am enjoying GW2 immensely, as are my friends. The art, the music, the exploration, the puzzles, the easter eggs hidden throughout the game – they all appeal to me in a visceral way that no other game has ever done.

It’s like playing art. Fun art.

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Eddie Van Grog.7095

Eddie Van Grog.7095

What will kill GW2 is, most likely, a negative, deconstructive, irrational, petty and tiring outcry of so many people!

Do you really want GW2 to succeed and do well, or you would love to see it fail? Very often I think most of the people posting in these threads belong to the second group of people!

If you want it to do well, be positive and constructive! That is the ONLY way to make things go further and develop. Try to be mature, try to give a meaningful contribution and try to enjoy! Don’t just try with all your guts to hate everything and then something more!

I LOVE this game. I don’t like everything about it, but I don’t like everything about most of everything in life! What do I do? I can choose to destroy, to corrupt, to undermine and implode… or I can do what I would think a decent human being would do… Try to contribute, look at things positively and make CONSTRUCTIVE comments!

Your comments are creating a catastrophic vision/reality of a game that is not perfect, but its really good and has enormous potential! GW2 could be much more, no doubt… But no one wants to give it time! Everyone starts running around shouting, like a crazy chicken… Most of the times, not really knowing why they shout! But if everyone around shouts… Why shouldn’t they?

So that’s it… What will kill my loved GW2 is most of you and your comments! And that is just sad…

ps: and all this hate, dark hanger, destructive rage for what? For a bloody computer game? Oh well…

(edited by Moderator)

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Could be WOW goes F2P, could be another of the two games I’m waiting for a bit after Christmas, which no doubt will both have an impact on GW2.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Amulrei.4973

Amulrei.4973

If you want it to do well, be positive and constructive! That is the ONLY way to make things go further and develop. Try to be mature, try to give a meaningful contribution and try to enjoy! Don’t just try with all your guts to hate everything and then something more!

We tried that in beta. We tried that post-launch.

Short version? It didn’t work.

What will kill GW2

Posted by: CJAncients.6907

CJAncients.6907

What will kill GW2 is, most likely, a negative, deconstructive, irrational, petty and tiring outcry of so many people!

Do you really want GW2 to succeed and do well, or you would love to see it fail? Very often I think most of the people posting in these threads belong to the second group of people!

I LOVE this game. I don’t like everything about it, but I don’t like everything about most of everything in life! What do I do? I can choose to destroy, to corrupt, to undermine and implode… or I can do what I would think a decent human being would do… Try to contribute, look at things positively and make CONSTRUCTIVE comments!

Your comments are creating a catastrophic vision/reality of a game that is not perfect, but its really good and has enormous potential! GW2 could be much more, no doubt… But no one wants to give it time! Everyone starts running around shouting, like a crazy chicken… Most of the times, not really knowing why they shout! But if everyone around shouts… Why shouldn’t they?

So that’s it… What will kill my loved GW2 is most of you and your comments! And that is just sad…

ps: and all this hate, dark hanger, destructive rage for what? For a bloody computer game? Oh well…

I would still be very forgiving of the game’s shortcomings if ArenaNet hadn’t introduced the gear treadmill. And as long as gear treadmill remains, I will only want this game to fail in the most spectacular way.

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Irnhide.3428

Irnhide.3428

I just wana play enjoyable dungeons where melee classes aren’t useless and everything is balanced.

I’d also love a LFR system to make things 200 times easier.

That would go along way with alot of us.

If they continue to not implement this, it will help kill this game.

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Natural.7013

Natural.7013

If this is a GW1 clone, then it will be a niche game just like the first and later mmo titles will steal the majority of player time.

What will kill GW2

Eddie Van Grog.7095

We tried that in beta. We tried that post-launch.

Short version? It didn’t work.

And what if you think about it as an eternal beta? An ever changing experience of a virtual world? That is what happens in the world… Everything always changes! Most of the times we eat the ground and eat earth and what? We pull ourselves together and we try to make it better!

Look, GW2 has had already two world changing events! In three months… That is unbelievable! And if you guys would man up and contribute in rebuilding what is broken (good metaphorical comparison with the event coming soon, in which we will have to rebuild Lion’s Arch), maybe you would enjoy your game more and see how deep your contribution can go in it!

Tyria gets screwed… We stand up united and we help in reconstructing it. And like this, GW2 is not only Anet anymore, its ours!

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Booning.5476

Booning.5476

I am not trying to be funny for suggesting this thread but the threat may be real and probably imminent.

For me, what will kill GW2 eventually will be the day when WoW adopts free-to-pay model like GW2. Atm, WoW still has ‘healthy’ revenue but it is likely a diminishing one as time passes. There will be a revenue floor threshold where once crossed, it will benefit WoW more to go free-to-pay.

While new content may provide a temporary spike in revenue for GW2, unpolished new content will add more frustration to players on top of existing bugs which remains unsolved. Players’ loyalty vs new content, and in the light of the above imminent threat scenario, I hope Anet makes its wise choice. Good luck.

Just seen your user name. Is the answer to the question you?

What will kill GW2

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

Agreed. The scares me about the real world.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

It’s already headed in the direction of a WoW model so say goodbye to anything GW related other than lore. Just another MMO. And looking at the recent skill “balances” which quite frankly made me laugh, and cry, this game has no chance honestly.

If this turns into the typical MMO it’s obvious that people will rather just move onto pandaland, because it does that model 10x better. I mean the entire game is based on gear grind so at least they aren’t being lied to. If you ask me, this game is already in the hole.

I bought MoP last night because the thief changes literally made no sense, I am still confused about them. Burst was almost completely untouched and balanced was nerfed… for real? Not even Blizz has ever done a balance this bad on my rogue.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Free WoW is no different than sub Wow as far as I’m concerned.

Never liked that game.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Avatar.1923

melee class arent useless, they do a LOT of dmg.
but you cant stay in melee forever, go in do your stuff l go back for 20 seconds.
when youre ready, charge back and see the monsters health bar going down.

GW2 have more than enough content to keep me playing until the next big thing (and its gonna have to be “very” big.

love GW2.
(but seriously anet… why the marketing lie about no gear grind… ? that hurts!)

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Avatar.1923

It’s already headed in the direction of a WoW model so say goodbye to anything GW related other than lore. Just another MMO. And looking at the recent skill “balances” which quite frankly made me laugh, and cry, this game has no chance honestly.

If this turns into the typical MMO it’s obvious that people will rather just move onto pandaland, because it does that model 10x better. I mean the entire game is based on gear grind so at least they aren’t being lied to. If you ask me, this game is already in the hole.

I bought MoP last night because the thief changes literally made no sense, I am still confused about them. Burst was almost completely untouched and balanced was nerfed… for real? Not even Blizz has ever done a balance this bad on my rogue.

hey, anet have mathematical stats to back up the nerfs/buffs…
they know what class own and what class doesnt.

im quite sure you re simply a bad player.
pandas will be your teddy bears, easy mode, sleep well, drone.

What will kill GW2

Eddie Van Grog.7095

I would still be very forgiving of the game’s shortcomings if ArenaNet hadn’t introduced the gear treadmill. And as long as gear treadmill remains, I will only want this game to fail in the most spectacular way.

Look, I also am not super excited about gear and stats improvement either… But I try to see the positive aspects of it!
1- No one is really certain how this “increase” is going to give a competitive advantage.
2- Including “infusions” or more upgrades for gears is great! Hell, when GW1 started we couldn’t add inscriptions to gear! Did the game change that much to break it when they introduced these? It did change… It made it better and more tactical and interesting
3- On the infusion and other upgrade business, this can also be seen as increasing diversity of content! Dealing with certain content will require you use different strategies! Similar to the Mursaat. No one really knows the plans of Anet on this! I am confident that they have realized by now that people don’t want gear progression.

Finally, if someone says “I want it to fail in the most spectacular way”, what can I say? I am sure that every argument we trade is going to be met with the irrational resolve of a fundamentalist!

What will kill GW2

Posted by: CJAncients.6907

CJAncients.6907

Look, I also am not super excited about gear and stats improvement either… But I try to see the positive aspects of it!
1- No one is really certain how this “increase” is going to give a competitive advantage.
2- Including “infusions” or more upgrades for gears is great! Hell, when GW1 started we couldn’t add inscriptions to gear! Did the game change that much to break it when they introduced these? It did change… It made it better and more tactical and interesting
3- On the infusion and other upgrade business, this can also be seen as increasing diversity of content! Dealing with certain content will require you use different strategies! Similar to the Mursaat. No one really knows the plans of Anet on this! I am confident that they have realized by now that people don’t want gear progression.

Finally, if someone says “I want it to fail in the most spectacular way”, what can I say? I am sure that every argument we trade is going to be met with the irrational resolve of a fundamentalist!

What if I were to say I want this game to succeed in the most spectacular way, as long as there is no gear treadmill? That’s what a lot of us came to GW2 for, and what a lot of see as the first step on the said treadmill.

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Genlog.4983

Genlog.4983

in my many years of mmorpg
what can turn a game bad is

no good services
no GM on forum ore in game
hackers botters
cash shop that sells items to make you more power full
nerft drop rate and nerf the sucess rate of crafting ore up your gear
then sell items in CS to get a beter change i hate that alot

and alot of mmorpg games sell those items

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Djinn.4396

Djinn.4396

The single biggest failure here and yep im probably beating a dead horse and some people love having to spam chat and beg for a group but I won’t probably keep playing long term if I don’t have the ability to queue for a dungeon. It just dumbfounds me that they would launch a game in today’s on demand world that didn’t include this. Having to beg for groups almost made me quit wow and I was really happy when Rift added it in. I just don’t see a title being viable without one. Sub or not if I can’t find my way into some dungeon crawling in this game im probably going to stop logging in…

What will kill GW2

Posted by: xtorma.1283

xtorma.1283

I’m here until someone else comes out with three way WvW.
I wish i didn’t have to grind new gear , but that is out of my hands.
They are going to make as much money as they can, and if that involves tossing out everything they have ever said, it’s just the way it is. No corporation is any different.

Areananet is not a company of gamers, striving hard to make everyones gaming wish come true. They are a company of professionals that have to make a paycheck to raise thier families, and they are just as beholden to thier stockholders as Walmart is.

They see this change as necessary to increase thier revenue stream, and no amount of posting is going to change that. Even if enough people leave, and it starts to impact thier revenue, it will only cause them to replace whoever decided this was the way to go.

Ascended gear is reality now…….the end.

Baron Irongut – Warrior-

What will kill GW2

Posted by: bojangles.6912

bojangles.6912

WoW I don’t ever see losing its p2p. There are still a people who quit playing but keep their accounts active. WoW is still a great game. Cata was a huge problem and caused a lot to leave, but MoP brought a lot of us back and keeping most of us that came back. Sure some still quit again, but lots of servers still very populated.

Look at UO. You still need to pay a sub for that and that game is very old but has a good following.

Only time WoW will go f2p is when they need to condense the servers by 3/4 what they have now and likely stop making content, or at least not much of it. I believe they stated as long as people keep wanting more, they will keep it coming with expansions etc. This was when they were briefly mentioning their new mmo because people asked if WoW would shut down then and he replied with that. Personally I think WoW would shut down before going a f2p route.

GW2 won’t die either. Even with people leaving in herds, it will level out in time and keep a fan base like AoC, Aion, Rift, Tera, ToR, Warhammer, LotR, The Secret World, etc.

What will kill GW2

bojangles.6912

WoW is very old, very ugly and quite dull. F2P won’t change that.

It’s full of kids and immature adults who attach their ego to how high their item score is, and basically join a sort of “rat race” comparing themselves to others on the basis of gear, like people in RL who attach their egos to their furniture or how many cars they have.

Sounds like you summed up GW2 to a T also.

What will kill GW2

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

I heard people say that only WoW/Blizzard will kill WoW. It seems that it’s happening here, only GW2/ArenaNet was needed to kill GW2.

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

This game is not being killed imo. The pve is the best ive had granted ive inly played wow and eve online to compare. Even the pvp which im not sold on is quite good. I just find it zergy for my tastes.

What is so bad about a sub? WoW and Eve both have subs and I felt like I was rewarded in the form of fixes improvements and new content. You can afford a pc internet connection and $60 I just dont get it. That said if halloween is an example Anet is handing out quality free stuff. So well done Anet.

Generally you get what you pay for. Except in Anet’s case as their free stuff is good.

What will kill GW2

bojangles.6912

I heard people say that only WoW/Blizzard will kill WoW. It seems that it’s happening here, only GW2/ArenaNet was needed to kill GW2.

How many “main stream” mmo’s have been shut down? SWG, Matrix Online and CoH will be or is now.

I don’t know of any others. And I don’t mean little companies/titles like you see on ads for some romper room mmo. I am talking the big ones. UO and EQ1 are still around.

Also no new game is going to worry about GW2 and saying “GW2 killer” because GW2 isn’t even close to the ranks of a WoW. Elder Scrolls online people will compare it WoW more than GW2. GW2 is just another mmo that was hyped and failed like AoC, Tera, Aion, and Warhammer etc.

What will kill GW2

Posted by: Nurse.1085

Nurse.1085

Not much because it’s F2P.

The tools who follow the next-big-MMO will move on like mindless sheep but that’s no different from what they normally do. However, they’re welcomed to wonder back because unlike their past MMOs, they don’t have to pay $15 to start playing again. That’s the beauty of it.