What would tempt you to make a new character?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

14 level 80’s

with plans on at least 5 more.

I don’t Like Clogging Inventory space with Gear. So I level new characters. The New system is actually easier to work with and simplifies a good number of things. The most recent one was a level 20 scroll. and I had it at level 80 before the birthday booster ran out. And I spent exactly 0 min inside Edge of the Mists.

Personally… the “grind” everyone is so angry over? I really do not see it. But then again, that is me.

Posted by: NekoLen.9753

NekoLen.9753

I make new characters whenever I get an idea for one. But h=what would tempt me to make a new guy would be new race and/or new class.

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

If I only played 3 classes I’d die from being so bored. You are seriously selling yourself short. I play all 8 classes. I have 2 warriors, 3 necros, 2 guards, 3 eles, and a single of the rest everythin at 80 except one necro. Building tools with different themes is half the fun. If I played this game this long and never tried engi I’d be a fool imo

Posted by: Dante.8456

Dante.8456

New profession is probably the only thing. Maybe a new race, but it would probably only keep me entertained for the first few levels.

Desolation EU
Guardian / WvW Enthusiast

Posted by: Iris.5918

Iris.5918

Removal of NPE
Revert of traits system
Interesting and challenging leveling experience

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

The new low level experience must completely go. In fact, now that I am greedy, utility skill slots need to all be available from level 1.
All equipment slot should have available items as well. In addition of being greedy I am also very, very vain. I have not forgotten you, beta weekend hat… Or was it shoulder armor? Well, I haven’t forgotten!

Speaking of utility skills… these can’t be locked behind tiers. And I must be able to redo them for my existing characters, I dislike having to take skills I don’t want. Or even more when the game decides one for me like seems to be the case recently.

Traits must be available as easily as they used to, or vendor price needs to be way cheaper and without use of skill points, trait reset must remain free.

And as I still will not buy character slots due to several other reasons why I am unhappy, I must be gifted some for each of my accounts. Yes, still greedy.

That is what it would take.

(Would love a ritualist)

(Also new races)

let the sky fall

(edited by Traced.3495)

Posted by: Targren.6073

Targren.6073

The removal of the NPE.

I’m dead serious.

Pretty much this.

My name is Targren, and I’m an Altoholic. I’ve played each class through to the end of the PS (still haven’t done Arah Story on all of them though) and have a spare slot that I would just roll up a new alt when I felt bored.

Or I was, until I came back and found the NPE waiting for me. Cured me in one fell swoop. Now, I played through to 80 on a character named “X’s Mule” simply by virtue of it having been made prior to the Curse of the Slogging Levelling being cast over Tyria.

Pretty sure I won’t be leveling any more characters.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I honestly don’t think Anet will reverse the trait acquisition system. I’d be happy if they improved it…but it would have to be a significant improvement.

I don’t either but I still think it would be the best choice. They have been repeatedly using the excuse of things being too complicated/difficult for newer players to nuke a lot of the things that a huge amount of people like[d] and I’m sick of it.

There were problems with traits in the past, of course, but there’s pretty much nothing good about the new system other than that we can change them wherever we please.

If the trait system was too complicated before, then implementing a proper tutorial for them would’ve sufficed.

Change for the sake of change isn’t good change.

I’m with you. I’ve got two alts in the mid 30’s now, and the new trait system is a definite barrier to enjoying the process.

I get Vayne’s point about the old leveling benefits system lacking something at the higher levels. To me, there were just not enough benefits to leveling through 79 level gains. The amount of upgrades would have been better suited to something like 40 levels. Stretching those benefits differently (which is all back-loading Master and GM traits and back-loading when traits become available) just transferred the problem from the higher levels to the mid-levels.

I don’t really mind the NPE. I’m kind of neutral on it. Some of the item rewards are better than others. There was one where I chose the stats and ended up using it for ten levels. However, an Exotic with Condition Damage, Vitality and Healing Power that I’ll throw away because I cannot sell or salvage and will not use it is a minor annoyance, not a benefit.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

A trait system rework.

I won’t even be tempted by a new race or class/profession.
With 9 characters, five of which are level 80, I can barely find the motivation to finish those last four. Some are even ‘grand-fathered’ into the old trait acquisition system and still feel tedious to finish now that they’re in the mid-levels.
I love experimenting with builds and the limitations imposed are new character killers for me.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

Can somebody explain why the NPE is bad? I just see people saying it’s bad but why exactly? I don’t like the trait system, it’s stifling and prevents any sort of build experimentation. Forces you to look up which ones are worth getting for a generic cookie cutter build.

I think most of the issues with the whole items thing has been the same issue since launch. Stats are still very much unbalanced. Condition Damage is a very crap stat for most classes because of how the game handles conditions. Admit it, the game handles conditions in the worst way imaginable. Healing power is a worthless stat because of how the game handles boons, you get a marginal bonus on the heals that isn’t worth the tradeoff of the damage loss. Which without being able to be a full healer, you’re going to need damage. You’re best off being straight damage gearing and playing in a support fashion, you’re more of a help.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

Posted by: Ryuu.5608

Ryuu.5608

- Rework on NPE Stats acquisition.
For example, the fact that you acquire a full chunk of stats every certain amount of levels is dreadful and unbearable, back then in GW2 Alpha, you could actually level up and gain some attribute bonus to increase your main stats (AKA Vitality, Toughness, Precision and Energy), I’d love to see this system again on leveling experience, allow the player to raise up and actually feel how the character grows up through leveling and discovering the world.

As for the new Trait acquiring system, there is a whole thread about it, I don’t need to add anything to that really, there are tons of great ideas sinking slowly into the depths of oblivion.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Can somebody explain why the NPE is bad? I just see people saying it’s bad but why exactly? I don’t like the trait system, it’s stifling and prevents any sort of build experimentation. Forces you to look up which ones are worth getting for a generic cookie cutter build.

For me, personally, it is a combination of weapon skills and utility skill unlocks being pushed further into the process, a lack of a steady stream of skillpoints, the lock on downed and underwater skills, and the way the personal story can now only be done every 10 levels. Additionally, the personal story has been butchered, so there’s that, too.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

For me, personally, it is a combination of weapon skills and utility skill unlocks being pushed further into the process, a lack of a steady stream of skillpoints, the lock on downed and underwater skills, and the way the personal story can now only be done every 10 levels. Additionally, the personal story has been butchered, so there’s that, too.

See thats the kind of constructive feedback that needs to be in here. Stating exactly what you don’t like. Just saying NPE is very broad and not really specific as to what is wrong exactly.

I don’t like how screwy the story is now, but I do think it needed to be adjusted and more streamlined. I just don’t think they did it quite to the point where people would be happy with the results. Yeah downed being disabled and lots of other things was a big problem too, it should have remained locked but just unlocked at like level 4 or something low.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

Free character slots.

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

Skelk pet with stealth and I’ll reroll to Ranger.

Posted by: Opc.4718

Opc.4718

I have so many tomes of knowledge levelling is pretty much trivial for me. I’ve insta 80’d lots of characters, but unlocking all the traits is getting expensive now

Kehlirixx Q | Nixx Q | Classic Bunker

Posted by: uncomfortably energetic.9153

uncomfortably energetic.9153

A new character? Reverting or reworking the trait system.

This preferably a revert to the way they were unlocked. ArenaNet reworking them would probably just make the system even worse considering their track record…

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

A new character? Reverting or reworking the trait system.

This preferably a revert to the way they were unlocked. ArenaNet reworking them would probably just make the system even worse considering their track record…

Sorry…yes, that is actually what I meant. Thanks.

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

New world exploration. I love exploring.

Posted by: Huck.1405

Huck.1405

With the disaster that leveling has become since last April, why would anyone want to create another char?

“You can teach ’em, but you cant learn ’em.”

Posted by: dagrdagaz.4913

dagrdagaz.4913

- new class / race
- rework of the trait system and NPE (or changing it back to what it was).

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

new race,profession

This, and reversing at least some of the NPE package changes (new trait system, i’m looking at you).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: OMNIBUS.2913

OMNIBUS.2913

New race(tengu specifically XD). I don’t feel the need for a new profession right now cause i think they should expand more on the current professions. Giving us more weapons for each class for example.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Definitely a new class. I already have one of each class and only really enjoy two builds for each class, so just keeping an alternate set of gear (which also helps fulfill that fashion itch) and a screenshot of trait setups is more than enough to keep me satisfied.

Expanded weapons for current classes might tempt me, provided the new skills (and associated traits/utility skills) can substantially change how classes are played, otherwise they’d just become gear to optimize existing builds (or ignore if they’re horribly underpowered).

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

“What would tempt you to make a new character?”

New Races
New Professions
Free Total Makeover Content
Instant level 60+(prefer 80 but I would do it for 60)

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

Well, I for one don’t really have a problem with making new characters as it stands. However, I have quite a few characters (eight, to be exact – two of which I’ve never actually played but they’re placeholders because I desperately want to play them). I would like to see some more armor sets that inspire me to make a particular character, add variety to weapons and weapon skills or add some new races/professions.

I might also be a bit more excited for making new characters if they make leveling for veterans even easier. Only problem I see with this idea though is how do they implement something that makes it easier to level up and has the potential to discriminate veterans and new players. I love new players, but I remember when I was new and leveling up my first time was a great learning experience that nobody should have the “luxury” of skipping.

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

I enjoyed leveling my first character to 80.

My second was pretty fun too.

My third was a little rough. (leveling scrolls helped)

My fourth… ugh. It was bad.

I wont be leveling another until I get some more tomes of knowledge. I may finish up my human necromancer though. I’m not sure yet.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Is there anything ArenaNet could add or change to tempt you into creating a new character?

Why, yes. If ArenaNet would repeal the trait system redesign and restore the alleged ‘confusing’ things that were taken away by the NPE, I would consider buying another character slot. Until such time, no.

New race? New profession? Bah. Why bother with such things, if they are going to be tossed into the same old open-air cesspool of character building that ArenaNet has refused to address constructively for almost nine months?

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Subdue.5479

Subdue.5479

Another character slot.

Posted by: vana.5467

vana.5467

A rework (or preferably rollback) of the trait acquisition system.

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

The only way I’d make a new character at this point is if ANet introduced a new race or profession. However, that’s not because of the NPE, but rather because 2.5 years later I’m still working on getting all professions up to 80 and properly outfitted.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

I’d say a free character slot is all I need to make a new character

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg