When Will ArenaNet Allow Saving Names?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

Q:

-
When will this happen?

Rangers have been asking to save the names for all their pets since August 2012.

Two years ago, Regina Buenaobra made this statement: “Thanks for the suggestion. We’re aware of this request from ranger players.” – https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Saving-pet-names/first#post56611

Here are some quotes from other players:

“ArenaNet could have the pet names stored client-side. When you bring out a new pet, your client would automatically use the name stored for it.”

“ArenaNet would simply have to verify the name set by the client… what they already do when we are manually setting it.”

“Basically, instead of having us constantly remember our pet names and set them manually… have the game client do that for us. Very simple and it doesn’t require any additional storage for ArenaNet.”
-
Can we get an ETA?

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Does naming pets create gem sales? No
Is the lack of pet naming causing a noticeable number of people to leave the game? No.

ETA? Never.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

-
When will this happen?

Rangers have been asking to save the names for all their pets since August 2012.

Here are some quotes from other players:

• “ArenaNet could have the pet names stored client-side. "
  • “simply …verify the name set by the client… what they already do when we are manually setting it.”
  • “Very simple and it doesn’t require any additional storage for ArenaNet.”

Can we get an ETA?

They haven’t promised it will happen at all.

If it were “very simple” to have the names stored client side, don’t you think that ANet would be all over it? Big win on a popularly-requested feature for little effort — seems that would be a no-brainer. That leads me to believe it isn’t anything close to easy to do.

-
Two years ago, Regina Buenaobra made this statement: “Thanks for the suggestion. We’re aware of this request from ranger players.” – https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Saving-pet-names/first#post56611

“We’re aware of this request” doesn’t translate to “we plan to do it” or even “we think it’s such a great idea that we plan to prioritize it.” All it means is that they’ve read it. It’s literally the very least they could do besides not doing anything at all.

To be clear, I’d really like this feature, too. I just don’t expect to see it anytime soon.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

They said a long time ago it isn’t something they are going to do any time soon. I doubt the answer has changed.

From that thread: source
MokahTGS.7850:
“This is actually not a bug, it is working as intended. It is not optimal, but to save the names of all of your pets (read: all of everyone’s pets) would require another large name database that ANet did not create. Currently the pet name feature saves the name in the slot, not the pet, so changing out the pet type resets the slot name.
Perhaps someday they will change this, but it is not a bug”.

Jason King
ArenaNet Community Team
“This is pretty much exactly what’s going on.
Tl;dr: we may change this some day, but it’s not going to happen in the near future, and it’s not a bug”.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Huh. Why not make that a client-side thing? Rather than keep a names database, have a short routine that checks the player’s pet name list saved in their client and applies the one saved for that pet when the pet is summoned into the two “live” pet slots.

That doesn’t seem like it would allow any hacking since players already can put whatever name in (as long as SEQL or whatever doesn’t get compromised, sorry, not a programmer), it would just automate the process for the player.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

As much as I’d like this, there may be technical issues with it. Wouldn’t be the first time weird engine limitations have got in the way of things (for example, the 500 member cap on guilds is supposedly a hard limit that can’t be exceeded)

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Just take a screenshot of your pet names if you can’t remember them and make a mashup picture in Windows Paint to remember each name for each pet.

Honestly if you can’t remember the name you’ve given each pet, it must not be that important to you. I have something I always name certain pets, and I just rename them to that when I switch to them.

As easy as it might seem to add something like this, however they program the game opens it up to all kinds of bugs every time they add a minor thing. There have been multiple instances of an update to one part of the game creating random bugs for all sorts of other parts of the game.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Anet seems to have a policy of avoid all they can from saving anything client-side, and for a security point of view I can kinda understand why.
But yeah, people above already posted the devs position about it and I also doubt that it will ever change.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

This doesn’t really bother me.

For pets I use regularly I can remember the names, even the random ones like calling my owl Holly for no reason. If I don’t use them often enough to remember the name I gave them I make up a new one.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Donari.5237

Remembering isn’t the issue. I have a Word document listing all pet names, including some IC mini names for reference during RP., and I can bring that up on a second monitor The issue is having the name reset so you can’t quickly swap around between pets without ending up with Juvenile Whatever roaming at your side if you’re pressed for time.

It’s a QoL thing.

Jasher.6580

I’m hard pressed to believe that it’s really that hard to accomplish.

Posted by: rodadams.5963

rodadams.5963

I’d be happy for a /petname command to rename my current pet. That would at least make it a lot easier to change, and far less mouse clicky.

Jasher.6580

I’d be happy for a /petname command to rename my current pet. That would at least make it a lot easier to change, and far less mouse clicky.

I’d be happy for this too… but I’d much prefer for it to save all the names like in WoW.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

If other games have this…why would it be hard for a newer game to do?

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Being hard has nothing to do with it. It’s simply something they didn’t implement and from where I sit, not something that would really be necessary.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Kinda seems like an archaic thing not to have, really.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

If other games have this…why would it be hard for a newer game to do?

Every game uses different structure and engines and different games are programmed from the start with different priorities. It’s not a question of this game can do it and this game can’t. Guild Wars 1 didn’t have jumping for example, because the engine didn’t allow jumping. This game is a bit different.

For one thing, in many games with pets, like Guild Wars 1, you have to give up your pet to get another pet. That means you don’t have to remember 30 plus names for each and every ranger in the game. You may think that’s nothing but you add up a million rangers and that’s a lot of space for remembering a lot of names.

Without designing that database into the game, you have to go and add it. And anything you add things into a program this complex, there will be myriad interactions you can’t even predict.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Remembering isn’t the issue. I have a Word document listing all pet names, including some IC mini names for reference during RP., and I can bring that up on a second monitor The issue is having the name reset so you can’t quickly swap around between pets without ending up with Juvenile Whatever roaming at your side if you’re pressed for time.

It’s a QoL thing.

Even if you were coming from an RP perspective, I can’t see how this is a severe QoL issue. How often do you change one or both of your equipped pets? I’m not sure how changing your pets continuously is necessary even in WvW. In PvE of course it’s so easy you shouldn’t really need pet changes all the time.

Hey though, it would be nice to save names. But I just don’t think it’s a big deal.

(edited by Mo Mo.1947)

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Does naming pets create gem sales? No
Is the lack of pet naming causing a noticeable number of people to leave the game? No.

ETA? Never.

I think you would find a LOT of rangers would buy gems just for that, making your argument invalid.

Would I buy them for every pet in my menagerie? I doubt it. I would be interested in it for my favourites at the right price though.

Jasher.6580

Hey though, it would be nice to save names. But I just don’t think it’s a big deal.

I think it’s a pretty big deal.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think it’s a pretty big deal.

Sure, and you’re not alone in thinking that. However, you might also notice that there are plenty of others who disagree and think it’s merely “nice to have” or even “completely unnecessary” (some of whom even have rangers as main characters).

From ANet’s point of view, therefore, it’s a large undertaking (modifying or creating a database to handle remembering the names or even retrieving names stored client-side) and the result is a quality-of-life improvement for a tiny subset of the community. In other words: high cost/risk and minor benefit.

There are plenty of good ideas out there that will never be included in the game because there are always better ideas that are easier to implement.

Donari.5237

It’s a QoL thing.

Even if you were coming from an RP perspective, I can’t see how this is a severe QoL issue. How often do you change one or both of your equipped pets? I’m not sure how changing your pets continuously is necessary even in WvW. In PvE of course it’s so easy you shouldn’t really need pet changes all the time.

I didn’t say it was a “severe” QoL issue. But then, I don’t play my Ranger. I got her to 80 and stopped, other than some recent skill challenge completions. Part was my finding the profession boring, part was my long time dislike for pet classes in MMO … and part was that I never RP’d her. RP fuels my interests in characters. Having the pet constantly lose its identity was a bar to easy RP.

It was also a bar to using a variety of pets. Once I had a named one, I didn’t want to swap out to a random Juvenile even if it would better suit the immediate situation, so I wasn’t finding very effective play if a wolf and a raven weren’t useful.

A minor change, yes, but one that would make many Ranger players happy. Take a look at Engie hobo sacks. No game play mechanics were affected at all by having forced back coverings. Yet the hobosack was something that lessened a lot of players’ enjoyment of their profession and now finally it’s getting reworked. Pet names are the Ranger hobosack.

Posted by: vox.5019

vox.5019

A programmer could have a working prototype in a day if they already know the relevant systems. Maybe an extra hour beforehand for a lead or manager to design it. Sure the process continues from there but most likely it’s not being done simply because it’s not seen as an issue worth any current effort. That’s just how development works.

My question is, if it’s not worth the effort, why have pets nameable in the first place? After all, rangers are encouraged to change out pets to the situation causing the issue to be run into often.

Should have just named them pet type minus the juvenile part. I really hate having juvenile on every pet name because it’s not worth naming them only for it to reset constantly.

This industry just needs to move on. We’ve seen a bunch of “WoW 2.0” attempts, and
who actually wants that? Do we really want to be playing those same game mechanics for
another 5 or 10 years? -Mike O’Brien

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Pet names are the Ranger hobosack.

Sure, so it’s probably on their radar to do. On the other hand, it might (or might not) be more complicated and/or more effort than hobosack-removal was or that change might have dovetailed with other things going on.

So again, the point is it’s one of many good ideas out there and not necessarily near the top of the priority list.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

This is likely not seen as either a source of revenue if developed or of a loss of revenue if not developed.

Jasher.6580

This is likely not seen as either a source of revenue if developed or of a loss of revenue if not developed.

I have no idea why, but this statement infuriates me.

Posted by: Cambios.7451

Cambios.7451

I just started playing GW2 a few weeks ago and assumed this issue was a bug.

The fact that it has lingered this long is pretty demoralizing.

It is one of those bugs/missing features that is extraordinarily embarrassing and unprofessional.

Is it game breaking? Not at all. But it just looks horrendously bad and is a huge downer psychologically. Sometimes those are the types of negative things that are far worse than a more serious bug.

This really should get more priority.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Just think of your pet as the friend you made back when you were starting your life as an adventurer and hero. A friend who fights beside you and never runs away from danger no matter the odds. A friend who would give his life for you. A friend who you never bothered to name because it was too much trouble. Your Juvenile “Whatever”.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

Ha ha. I went through a period of thinking up new names every time I swapped them out; then followed the ‘juvenile whatever’; and now all my pets get the same name.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I just started playing GW2 a few weeks ago and assumed this issue was a bug.

The fact that it has lingered this long is pretty demoralizing.

It is one of those bugs/missing features that is extraordinarily embarrassing and unprofessional.

Is it game breaking? Not at all. But it just looks horrendously bad and is a huge downer psychologically. Sometimes those are the types of negative things that are far worse than a more serious bug.

This really should get more priority.

Welcome newbie! I’ve been playing for over three years now and first six months this bothered the hell out of me. Fifteen (or so) rangers later now I don’t even think of it. I never switch out pets from the rosters of my guys once they hit 80 so it isn’t an issue. I’d imagine plenty of other players are the same. If Anet have figures on how often pets are completely switched out or not then I expect that would influence how seriously they’d look at this. I wouldn’t say no if it happened but ultimately I don’t think the issue is high in the grand scheme of things.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Donari.5237

I’m pretty sure it’s one reason I played my Ranger only enough to get her to 80 as part of my at least one of each prof at 80 set, never RP’d her, and then played her again only enough to unlock Druid and gather the new pets.

Even with a cheat sheet in Word listing all the pet names so I can reapply them if I pick a new pair to use, it’s too much of a pain and seriously immersion breaking to have the name vanish all the time.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Most rangers are too lazy to even name their pets in the first place, honestly.

Like, take 30 seconds and think of something, christ.

Posted by: Cambios.7451

Cambios.7451

It really is a shame the names don’t save. It takes a very simple opportunity to have a meaningful, creative connection with the game and throws it in the trash.

Donari.5237

Most rangers are too lazy to even name their pets in the first place, honestly.

Like, take 30 seconds and think of something, christ.

You don’t know that. They could each and every one have come up with a brilliant name, then had it wiped out by a pet swap and never bothered to type it in again. Here’s my list of names for my norn ranger’s pets (names adapted from an Old Norse dictionary), but you bet I won’t bother to apply them unless I am bringing the pet out for RP because what’s the point? The game will forget them.

Alpine Wolf Issulfr (Ice Wolf)
Armor Fish Herklaedi (Armor)
Arctodus Rifa (Rip)
Black Bear Blarbitr (Black Biting)
-Black Moa Hrafn (Raven)
-Black Widow Spider Ekkja (Widow)
Blue Jellyfish Reki (Jetsam)
Blue Moa Fjordpiner (guess!)
Boar Galti (Wild Boar)
Bristleback Fleindrifa (Spear throwing)
Brown Bear Grimmr (Grim)
Carrion Devourer Eyrrdrepa (Spit Strike)
Cave Spider Helliretta (Cave Eight)
Eagle Ari (Eagle)
Electric Wyvern Slandit (Smite Face)
Fern Hound Lauf (Leaf)
Fire Wyvern Ormbruni (Serpent Fire)
Forest Spider Elketta (Tree Eight)
Hawk Sverdlopt (Sword Sky)
Hyena Hlatr (Laughter)
Ice Drake Seinnfrost (Slow Frost)
Jaguar Grannr (Slender)
Jungle Spider Eitretta (Poison Eight)
Jungle Stalker Kelda (Spot)
Krytan Drakehound Storrhundr (Huge Hound)
Lashtail Devourer Dundi (Whir)
Lynx Villieldr (Wildfire)
Marsh Drake Myrr (Bog/Swamp)
Murellow Bani (Slayer)
Owl Vedr (Wind)
Pig Vandrflesk (Bad Bacon)
Pink Moa Astfugl (Love Bird)
Polar Bear Duna (Resounding)
Raven Blekkrblindr (Black Blinder)
Red Jellyfish
Red Moa Dreyri (Blood)
-Reef Drake Rif (Reef)
River Drake Groenna (Green River)
Salamander Drake Garganleggr (Snake Leg)
Shark Fiskr (Fish)
Siamoth Flatrnef (Flat Nose)
Snow Leopard Isskelda (Ice Spot)
Tiger Drepa (strike/knock/kill/slay)
Warthog Griss (Piglet)
Whiptail Devourer Otti (Fear/Dread)
White Moa Gellirkala (Yeller Become Cold)
-White Raven Litlauss (Pale)
Wolf Valdr (Wolf)