When is gw2 expansion coming out? [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Davidm.2419

Davidm.2419

when is the first guild wars 2 expansion coming out? and will there be a collecters edition for the first guild wars 2 expansion at the gamestop store?

Posted by: Banono.4597

Banono.4597

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

They keep saying they wont be an expansion, but I am pretty sure NCsoft (and wisely) force them to make an expansion. To me, an expansion is away to reset the game and try and get back some of the people that might not be paying attention.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Hopefully, we will not see a traditional expansion. I believe it would much better to evolve the living world in a natural manner, similar to how our world evolves. The expansion has been de rigueur in terms of the old formula, but there is really no need for it. I can live without the disruption.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Sadly i think we’re stuck with their mini jumping puzzles for the next couple of years until they see their fanbase significantly decrease, then an expansion will be announced and released.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Technically, the Living Story is an expansion. It’s just not a typical expansion players are used to.

Currently, Arenanet is unsure of whether they want to release expansions in boxes that or just make it a part of the game, similar to the Living Story, ergo free.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

They keep saying they wont be an expansion, but I am pretty sure NCsoft (and wisely) force them to make an expansion. To me, an expansion is away to reset the game and try and get back some of the people that might not be paying attention.

NCsoft is the reason we have all the garbage crap in the game, like the Gem store, RNG and the like, if NCsoft has it’s way we may never see an expansion, It’s ANET that would do the deed and release one, but, since NCsoft is pulling the strings, again, we may not

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Technically, the Living Story is an expansion. It’s just not a typical expansion players are used to.

Currently, Arenanet is unsure of whether they want to release expansions in boxes that or just make it a part of the game, similar to the Living Story, ergo free.

More like a poor man’s DLC that you feel rippedoff after buying, thanks god their living story crap is free…

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Oorjuwa.1682

Oorjuwa.1682

They made it clear that there will be no expansions for GW2. What they focus on are these updates and events that evolve around their gem store. Painful but true.

“You’ve got some really nice toys there. Mind if I break them?”
— Gwen

(edited by Oorjuwa.1682)

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

So we will never face the other dragons and get new zones…

We had an entire story, several zones and much more for just one dragon: Zhaitan.
When we’re going to face the other dragons I expect nothing less. But they can’t fit 3 or more zones, a huge line of quests and all the content that comes with it in Living Story, there is just no way. Living Story content is just too small, insignificant and (mostly) temporary..

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

We had an entire story, several zones and much more for just one dragon: Zhaitan.
When we’re going to face the other dragons I expect nothing less. But they can’t fit 3 or more zones, a huge line of quests and all the content that comes with it in Living Story, there is just no way. Living Story content is just too small, insignificant and (mostly) temporary..

I have to question you on why you think it’s impossible to deliver “3 or more zones, a huge line of quests and all the content that comes with it” through the Living Story system. This isn’t a question of whether it’s probable, but whether it’s possible. You seem to think it isn’t and I have to ask why.

(edited by NewTrain.7549)

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Why would it be impossible for the Living Story, but not for an expansion?

If they’ve got 4 teams, what’s to say that one of them teams aren’t working on a massive update they’ll be released in 6 months time?

People are too caught up on labels to see that LS and expansions are exactly the same thing; content updates.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

silvermember.8941

NCsoft is the reason we have all the garbage crap in the game, like the Gem store, RNG and the like, if NCsoft has it’s way we may never see an expansion, It’s ANET that would do the deed and release one, but, since NCsoft is pulling the strings, again, we may not

Ncsoft is also the reason they guild wars 1 and 2 were MADE and Release, so what’s your point. Most companies wouldn’t have taken the risk for gw1 and if gw1 wasn’t made 2 wouldn’t be made. So ultimately, your point is moot and is spoken out of ignorance for reality. If you want to see a real cash shop go play Swtor.

unlike you I have no beef with Ncsoft or the cash shop. See the difference between YOU and ME is that I am not affected by any of the RNG crap nor do I care if it affects everyone.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Ncsoft is also the reason they guild wars 1 and 2 were MADE and Release, so what’s your point. Most companies wouldn’t have taken the risk for gw1 and if gw1 wasn’t made 2 wouldn’t be made. So ultimately, your point is moot and is spoken out of ignorance for reality. If you want to see a real cash shop go play Swtor.

unlike you I have no beef with Ncsoft or the cash shop. See the difference between YOU and ME is that I am not affected by any of the RNG crap nor do I care if it affects everyone.

Really? All I can say to this is ROFL.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

silvermember.8941

Really? All I can say to this is ROFL.

Right back at you slick.

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Apart from the 4 living story teams,which are a small part of the dev
force,there are other teams working on content that is usually
associated with expansions.Whether that content will be
released in the traditional form of an expansion or via other
means has yet to be decided.
The game is not even a year old,and players go bananas on an expansion,
that no matter the way and form it will be introduced,is at least
6 months away.More like 1 year away,I would say.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

I love how people always hate changes to what they are used to see.
Most People come from WoW Clone MMOs or WoW itself, and all the crap they are used to see from there is holy and untouchable. They’d rather pay 50 Bucks for an expansion than nothing for content updates every 2 weeks.
Why? Because they trust more in what they are used to than new things.
In a few weeks you have more content for free than you would have get from an expansion.

Since they have 4 Living Story Teams it is likely that the content updates become bigger and bigger, and very likely that they build up a path to a new dragon instead of just smashing an expansion out and say “Here’s the new dragon”. I like the Living Story, and many others do. Don’t think everybody hates the Living Story just because you do.

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

If they’ve got 4 teams, what’s to say that one of them teams aren’t working on a massive update they’ll be released in 6 months time?

People are too caught up on labels to see that LS and expansions are exactly the same thing; content updates.

And it’s better that they fail miserably with free content than with paid content.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Except I would pay for a “traditional” expansion if we got new zones and content at least as good at the original zones and content within.

Living story is worth exactly what I pay for it. If this last set of “Living Content” was boxed up and put on the Black Lion, I wouldn’t give 50 gems for it.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Sadly i think we’re stuck with their mini jumping puzzles for the next couple of years until they see their fanbase significantly decrease, then an expansion will be announced and released.

Or, see the fan base increase, since mini jumping puzzles seem to be very popular. I’m seeing an increase, not a decrease in the fan base…of course, that’s just annecdotal.

What’s not anecdotal is your content doom-saying because you don’t like the game. The game isn’t going anywhere. It’ll be doing fine in a year or two as well.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

I would quote Colin once again where he says that expansion or not they’re still going to do new zones and new story lines etc… Or were he says that New dragons, Canta as well as elona arent off the table even if they choose not to do an expansion. That LS is just a small part of the whole team and many more devs are working on bigger things. But whats the point… someone else will start a new topic and we’ll still get a bunch of posts LS is all we’re gonna get that means minigames and jumping puzzles.

Irony is we already got more then Mini games and jumping puzzles but Everyone seems to forget the 100+ Guild missions, 2 Dungeons, 50+ new Dynamic Events, 3 PvP maps, 3 news mini dungeons, a new meta event, a new zone and the changes to WvW. Seems for some people what counts is what they dont like and everything else they like well that’s like it never existed.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

And it’s better that they fail miserably with free content than with paid content.

And better to trip and stumble with content that isn’t established with existing lore or what should be epic fights.

I mean, look how well Zhaitan was received.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Justdeifyme.9387

Irony is we already got more then Mini games and jumping puzzles but Everyone seems to forget the 100+ Guild missions, 2 Dungeons, 50+ new Dynamic Events, 3 PvP maps, 3 news mini dungeons, a new meta event, a new zone and the changes to WvW. Seems for some people what counts is what they dont like and everything else they like well that’s like it never existed.

This.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

This.

ohh and i realized I forgot fractals too 9 more small scale dungeons !

Posted by: Zoldyck.6241

Zoldyck.6241

I prefer it this way (without expansions only through bi-monthly updates) since paid expansions are no guarantee it will be “better”, it only guarantees that you need to buy it to find out. With the current living story + content updates if you don’t like the content, go play something else for a week or two then come back to see something new.

Worse case scenario is that one of the teams really did a bad job so go take a 4 month break and wait for the new team to take over. In an expansion you have to wait for years if you didn’t like the new content (or force yourself to enjoy it since you paid for it).

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

It’s technically possible of course, but up until now, al the LS updates have been tiny (mini game here, temporary dungeon there). I just don’t see it happening, but I really hope I’m wrong.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

It’s technically possible of course, but up until now, al the LS updates have been tiny (mini game here, temporary dungeon there). I just don’t see it happening, but I really hope I’m wrong.

Colin said [recently] that the future LS will be larger and have more impact, since their teams now have more time with their rotations. We’ll see what they give us.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Banono.4597

Banono.4597

That post I linked at the top has me excited. More teams having more time to make these updates mean bigger and better updates.

Gamers sometimes just confuse me.
If they had said before release that they were going to not have expansions and do bi weekly free updates on the game that expand upon it, the gaming forums would have a massive cleanup to do while everyone went to put on a fresh pair of pants.

Thank you Galen Grey for making this list “100+ Guild missions, 2 Dungeons, 50+ new Dynamic Events, 3 PvP maps, 3 news mini dungeons, a new meta event, a new zone and the changes to WvW.” because that sounds close to an expansions worth of content (Maybe add two more zones and a new class) and the kicker is it was free and done in less than a year after release.

My point being, relax.
Enjoy what the game has to offer now, and lets see how the added Dev power to LS pans out. If in 9 months (About a year and a half after release.) you still feel they are hollow then by all means ask for your new classes and zones.

(edited by Banono.4597)

Posted by: Peponewolfchant.6513

Peponewolfchant.6513

We will be stuck at 80 forever,that sucks.. :/ But yeah i think they ill make good updates,but we want like wow does,more races,clases.

Justdeifyme.9387

We will be stuck at 80 forever,that sucks.. :/ But yeah i think they ill make good updates,but we want like wow does,more races,clases.

we? Who’s we?

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

we? Who’s we?

Probably Dr. We. Travels through space an time inside a kitten litter box.

Posted by: raptor.1064

raptor.1064

Thank you Galen Grey for making this list “100+ Guild missions, 2 Dungeons, 50+ new Dynamic Events, 3 PvP maps, 3 news mini dungeons, a new meta event, a new zone and the changes to WvW.” because that sounds close to an expansions worth of content (Maybe add two more zones and a new class) and the kicker is it was free and done in less than a year after release.

All that content is pathetic compared to what GW Factions added.

Posted by: Banewrath.5107

Banewrath.5107

I think when people say expansion they mean something the size and scope of how they did factions, nightfall, and eye of the north. There were pretty standalone games by themselves and huge. I really like how they linked all the worlds together and you could go wherever you wanted. That is what I think people are wanting when they say expansion. The small content here and there is nice but an expansion like we are used to would fly off the shelf like a blue light special. We do have a lot of areas on the map that are unacessable like the ring of fire and crystal desert, maybe they have some big plans for some of those places.

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

It’ll be doing fine in a year or two as well.

Oh Vayne, you and your infallible factoids.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

Yes NCSoft is the reason these two games were funded and published. What you need to remember is that NCSoft was just the PUBLISHER of GW. Meaning they had NO say in the content or how the game was run. Looks like they decided to take a bigger hand in the developement of GW2 tho, hence the Gem Store, Gear Progression, ect.

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

Yes NCSoft is the reason these two games were funded and published. What you need to remember is that NCSoft was just the PUBLISHER of GW. Meaning they had NO say in the content or how the game was run. Looks like they decided to take a bigger hand in the developement of GW2 tho, hence the Gem Store, Gear Progression, ect.

The people that were in GW1 development are either long gone or don’t deserve to be mentioned for obvious reasons.

I don’t even think the people that founded ANet are there anymore, and we were losing devs in GW1 during GW2’s development to work on other games.

Either they just wanted something new, wanted to expand their career, or didn’t like the direction guild wars was going.

Kinda sad that the few ex-Blizzard employee’s that founded ANet created GW to be different and unique turned out to make an amazing game and it all went in the trash with GW2.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

(edited by Mathias.9657)

Vayne.8563

Except that Factions and Prophecies together had less content than Guild Wars 2 at launch. Nice try though.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Except that Factions and Prophecies together had less content than Guild Wars 2 at launch. Nice try though.

I’m sure pvp in gw2 is blooming thanks to all that content we have.

Vayne.8563

I’m sure pvp in gw2 is blooming thanks to all that content we have.

You know, PvP players have, in my opinion, the absolute most legit gripe of all players. I should point out that as a PvE’er I feel quite spoiled. As far as PvE content goes, Guild Wars 2 launched with more content than both games put together.

And Guild Wars 1 had nothing even remotely resembling WvW.

haviz.1340

And we should only thanks our Lord FSM for that.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

when is the first guild wars 2 expansion coming out?

From what we have been told NEVER, there is never, ever going to be a expansion.

Living story updates every 2 weeks thou, instead…

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

Factions nor Prophecies had rehashed content in the guise of new content though. And no, different skins and new areas that events occur in doesn’t make the content new.

And we should only thanks our Lord FSM for that.

AB would count. Since all WvW is a zerg anyway.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

haviz.1340

From what we have been told NEVER, there is never, ever going to be a expansion.

Yay! A new backpack and a mini.

Vayne.8563

They never said they’d never have an expansion? Why say so?

Skan.5301

“ArenaNet’s lead content designer Mike Zadorojny recently went on record puncturing that particular balloon, saying that if the team manages these updates correctly, it will “probably never do an expansion and everything will be going into this Living World strategy.”"

GW2 might never have an expansion – Massively

It’s basically saying at first there will not be an expansion, then they realized “Oh kitten, we kittened up by saying that!” and they went back and said “Nah, we’re working on it.” Everyone knows they aren’t. LS is where they’ll stay.

Edit: Oh look, here’s one with more in depth questioning —> Eurogamer on GW2 expansion

– Euripides

(edited by Skan.5301)

Vayne.8563

“ArenaNet’s lead content designer Mike Zadorojny recently went on record puncturing that particular balloon, saying that if the team manages these updates correctly, it will “probably never do an expansion and everything will be going into this Living World strategy.”"

It’s basically saying at first there will not be an expansion, then they realized “Oh kitten, we kittened up by saying that!” and they went back and said “Nah, we’re working on it.” Everyone knows they aren’t. LS is where they’ll stay.

They’ve said long long before that interview, that there may or may not be an expansion, but the types of things you’d expect from expansions are being worked on. They have yet to decide the best way to deliver that content.

haviz.1340

Our Lord FSM may or may not exists as well. But I have a strong faith.

Skan.5301

They’ve said long long before that interview…

Yes, long, long BEFORE that interview.

– Euripides

Vayne.8563

They’ve said long long before that interview…

Do you really think Anet has ANY long term plans? Cause I’ve seen no evidence of it. They seem to be flying by the seat of their pants. That’s why it looks like they’re lying sometimes. Because they just sort of see what happens and rolls with it.

Doesn’t work out a lot. lol

haviz.1340

Manifesto was also long, long before November 2012.