Where did the Karma go?

Where did the Karma go?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: CamHawk.7832

CamHawk.7832

I am a recently returned player. Before I left, karma was issued as a reward for dungeon events and your dailies. Now that I am back, the rewards are non-existent in some area’s of the game and diminished in others. I am curious for the reason (Yes, I’ve looked at release notes) because it makes little sense to me. Perhaps it is a little frustration on my part since I am literally 21 Mystic Clovers away from my legendary and my preferred game play gives virtually no karma rewards any more. I simply want to understand the rational for the changes and perhaps ask the question if those changes were effective or to much?

Where did the Karma go?

Posted by: Crowshou.6091

Crowshou.6091

you get for almost everything karma, I cannot see your problem, sry.
just do events u encounter, do wvw ( every little thing is a event there now ) the sum of events make the karma not the amount of karma you gain from 1 event.

Where did the Karma go?

CamHawk.7832

Crowshou – I realize you can still get karma, that isn’t my question … not really. Why was the reward system changed? You used to get Jugs of karma for daily (1)/monthly(10) and then for every dungeon you ran. Those are gone. I like running dungeons, it was how I got all my original karma … enough to almost get my legendary but now I’m going to have to do a lot of stuff I dont like as much as other aspects of the game to get it. Sure, I can chase events and do WvW and still get it, but what was the point of taking away the other rewards? Is there release notes stating why it was changed?

Where did the Karma go?

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

Mebbe it was to encourage people to do wvw and events.

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

Where did the Karma go?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

The official explanation said that the rewards were lowered to compensate for luck essence drops. It’s up to you to see any logic in that statement.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Where did the Karma go?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’m not sure about dungeons, I never paid attention to the reward there beyond tokens, but you do still get karma for dailies and monthlies, you just get less of it and instead get some essences of luck which contribute towards your account magic find total.

I’m not sure what happens when you max out magic find and those essences become useless though.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Where did the Karma go?

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

Because Anet sometimes don’t know what they’re doing and refuse to accept that they screwed it up.

Where did the Karma go?

CamHawk.7832

Karma, to me, was always the heroic reward for saving Tyria one NPC, one mission, one dungeon, one epic fight at a time. I am not sure how MF plays into that and would like to see that official explaination myself but it seems like saving Tyria doesn’t pay like it used too.

Thanks for the responses.

Where did the Karma go?

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

In response to suggestions that karma was a fairly useless currency, they phased out the excessive rewards and made it exceedingly scarce. Apparently you can get a fair amount from high level fractals and WvW still. I tend to get mine through the daily activity (I will run the sprint endlessly when it’s up) which awards 1k if you win the event or 600 if you don’t.

That said, I’m not farming karma, and I feel bad for people who are. They cut the rewards by 90%. Seems like it would be better to make it a desirable currency by adding useful things to buy with it.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Where did the Karma go?

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

They needed to make the time gating on obsidian shards (legendary and ascended crafting) longer.

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

Where did the Karma go?

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

The only issue I had with the current karma is that we no longer get it from dungeon. Personally I made it to 4million karma with only jugs adn cahmpions boxes, not thats gone and thats understandable. But isnt karma about doing good stuff for the world? How is saving the Kodans not good? How is it aliviating the situations with the ghosts in Ascalon not good?

To me it all seems like a big [forced] time gating on yet another part oft he game. W/e, i feel bad for all those people returning now or those strating, they will never reach 1million karma needed for ONE legendary at any time getting 100-200 karma each time they do an event. I bought around 750 obsidian shards, already finishing one legendary and 1 million karma to spare, sucks to be a new player, Anet logic to make it fun for newcomers, HAH HAH.

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Where did the Karma go?

Posted by: Dragonax.6487

Dragonax.6487

I think A net want to promote Fractal running as a better way to get Obsidian instead of Karma. But u can still get Karma from running WvW, even faster than the old Cursed shore (minimum 50k per day for me )

Where did the Karma go?

Posted by: aliksyian.7642

aliksyian.7642

It fits in with the general theme of time-gating they have going on. It seems they are afraid of players finishing content, getting bored, and complaining.

Honestly I’d be happier if they just told those people to roll an alt or take a break from the game, but apparently there’s money to be made this way.

Hide user’s posts on forum with chrome tampermonkey script: http://pastebin.com/aaUQr3pm

Where did the Karma go?

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Two words, Lunatic Inquisition. Farm it for 600-1000 karma in small item chests for getting top ranks in certain categories. Not a hard game to play or win in.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Where did the Karma go?

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

This:

They needed to make the time gating on obsidian shards (legendary and ascended crafting) longer.

And this:

It fits in with the general theme of time-gating they have going on. It seems they are afraid of players finishing content, getting bored, and complaining.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

Where did the Karma go?

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

karma as a reward was nerfed 90%

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Where did the Karma go?

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

It wasn’t enough grind for ANets tastes.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

Where did the Karma go?

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Karma was entirely broken currency. It was pointless before as nothing new could ever realistically be priced in karma as the people with millions of karma could buy anything. They had to do something about it and the obvious thing to do was to cut the karma rewards down significantly and stop giving bottles of karma away like confetti.

Where did the Karma go?

Posted by: junho.7825

junho.7825

Because ascended materials kicked in. I can understand about daily changed because it gives essence of luck but have no idea why they removed karma from clearing dungeons. Stop giving us freaking useless ascended raw materials from dungeons Anet!

Where did the Karma go?

Posted by: Eric.1340

Eric.1340

I really want some kind of explanation from A-Net on why they had to nerf karma as badly as they did. I think that a nerf was necessary but they went to far with it. I think the karma nerf to dailies, failed events, monthlies, and the karma boosters was the perfect way to nerf karma. But they went too far when they also nerfed Karma from dungeons. They kind of did this nerf with no real warning, the only warning they gave was that karma boosters will no longer effect jugs of karma. Kinda screwed up my timetable on my second legendary so I am a little annoyed

Fort Aspenwood

Where did the Karma go?

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

They had to do it so they could make karma more valuable.

Unfortunately, they missed one point though. People who like to grind had millions of it anyway, as they had tons of ancient wood and ori and all that stuff.
So everyone who liked to grind got all the stuff they needed for ascended weapons in the first place, while they made it ridiculously hard for casuals and new players to get these items.

And on the way, they destroyed the point of all other karma items, as everyone is saving like crazy for ascended stuff.

Where did the Karma go?

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

Karma is definitely slower but does it matter much? You can spend karma on your first exotic set (if you even want to, mismatched stats and all), later on buy some obsidian shards for ascended. There arent that many uses for it and most older players had millions of karma with no use for it except orrian boxes.

The only big sink is legendary, and there karma is a footnote compared to the other requirements.