Where is the optimal place to farm now?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

With the recent patch, it seems to me we took a giant hit to farming potential with non guaranteed rares from mega events (outside the daily reward). I understand why Anet did it, but as we know from other games when time heavily outweighs reward.. people start to walk.

It doesn’t make much sense to me to jump from event to event when in all likelyhood, we’ll lose more money WP’ing around than we actually gain back from these events. Wasn’t this a problem before when these events were literally a ghost town?

With that being said, for someone that doesn’t like doing dungeons (nor has the time), what is the most optimal way to farm now? Dynamic events seem have “meh” rewards at best. Even though this game was not supposed to be about grinding, I actually don’t mind doing it, as long as, the reward outweighs the time spent.

I love GW2 and the whole concept of it, but i’m finding it difficult now to find reason to play when it seems the reward and fun factor of it has been taken away (IMO).

What are people doing/planning now to farm in lieu of the new patch?

Posted by: Manatee Nymph.8261

Manatee Nymph.8261

Its glaringly obvious when we look at the past few months and its systematic nerf of all-things-profitable that we are pigeonholed into the last remaining profitable farm:

1) buy gems with real money
2) exchange for gold
3) ??
4) profit

that or

braindead CoF P1
or you need to be a TP warrior

“in my opinion” GW2 has turned into the least rewarding mmo i have ever played… period!

nem·e·sis
/?nem?sis/
The inescapable or implacable agent of someone’s or something’s downfall.

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

Running dungeons in experienced groups is a good way to make gold.
Cursed shore/southsun cove farming is still a thing.
World events, but this isn’t as good anymore.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

Posted by: Sazgo.9842

Sazgo.9842

You forgot the main one: getting lucky with drop or in mystic forge.
Im pretty sure all the people with alot of wealth in this game had a precursor drop or forge for low amount of trys. They didnt grind cof for 5-6g an hour for months or do word events for a couple of rares.

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

I played the “mystic toilet” game long enough to know better lol. I did get very lucky during the Karka event and got a Dusk as a drop. I nearly sold it at the time as it was going for 100g… thank god I never did.. I’m saving that for a legendary when/if I can make it.

I find it very difficult to have the time to do dungeons + I just find them plain boring. I suppose I’ve pigeonholed myself with this mindset lol but I just cannot getting into doing dungeons (like I did back in WoW).

Back to cursed shore/southsun cove for me.

At some point, I just really wish they’d heavily buff the rewards of dynamic events in Cursed Shore and make them far more challenging and have more events in the series. Kind of like the old Plinx where it had about 4-5 events, but instead possibly buff it to 10-15 but got increasingly harder with each one, but the rewards grew with each one as well.

Doubt this will ever happen.. but one can dream!

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

The best place to farm? Not in Tyria.

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

CoF path1 or guest to different servers to hit the mega-bosses close together. So just do like many people say in map chat. Hit Maw then guest and get each Jormag/Tequatl/Behemoth/Orr Temple event.
I don’t do any of these things but then again I have no gold to speak of either.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I’m not sure what this post is about. They only nerfed the bonus rare for alts. Nothing about the chests has changed for mains. Alts can even still do they events and get the chest, they just don’t get the extra rare, they have the base chance for the rare.

Nothing has changed other then that since the last patch

Posted by: SadieDeAtreia.8912

SadieDeAtreia.8912

First rule of farming: do not talk about farming.
Second rule of farming: do NOT talk about farming!

If you do find that secret spot (if it exists, at all)… well, you know.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

There are still a bunch of world events you can do daily and get a guaranteed gold from each one of them. What you can’t do is wait around for a single event and do it over and over. It’s one way to farm.

Supplement that with Orr, and you have a farming regime.

As for dungeons, if you find the right guild/group to go with, dungeons can be fun as hell. Fractals too are decent farming.

We have a ball when we run dungeons in Guild Wars 2…not because the dungeons are so much fun…but the guild is.

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

I’d like to be able to farm things that aren’t gold. CoF is printing money. If I wanted to make money in a vacuum, I can kill things over and over offline in Final Fantasy.

Mats obtained by gathering are devalued by not having an associated skill grind. Trophies and unidentified dyes are subject to diminishing returns. Crafted gear has a value set by the supply of ectos. The ability to provide things like siege weapons are, for the most part, determined by the depth of your pockets.

If SOMETHING gave, that would be nice. There would be an “endgame” that isn’t the monotony of collecting dungeon tokens, zerging easy world bosses, or praying you get an easy fractal. Doing something economically useful for your fellow players can be fun! Many people PAY A SUBSCRIPTION so that they can be miners and factory workers in EVE. Imagine how many you could attract, appealing to their nature, but in a game where combat is exciting and vivid.

User was infracted for being awesome.

Posted by: thisolderhead.5127

thisolderhead.5127

I farmed in with my wallet with my credit card, and then invest wisely in TP’ing the farmers’ gold away.

But quoting here:
“There would be an “endgame” that isn’t the monotony of collecting dungeon tokens, zerging easy world bosses, or praying you get an easy fractal.”

Tokens ought to be a consolation prize, not the goal true… but not my main point – “world bosses too easy, go do a fractal would” normally be a part of my answer since you seem to have no issues face rolling the other dungeons…

Feeling bad due to my response does not mean it was a personal attack.
It may just be that your original statement was wrong.
Please try again.

Posted by: Mega Messiah.1734

Mega Messiah.1734

I’ll tell you how I made my money.

I did TA while getting the tokens for the gear and a recipe for the Nightmare Coil dropped, so now when I run that that’s a cool 7g per ring for an easy 3 path dungeon. Then, when I did Arah path 4, I managed to get the Bloodstone Fragment recipe which is worth another 20g, so more easy money.

Then I do my daily bosses and a 30 minute ori run for enough orichalcum and ectos to make 2 Beryl Orichalcum Rings which sell for around 3g 20s a piece, which is about ~2g 80s a piece once they sell.

Sometimes I’ll spend 2-3 hours just farming cursed shore and selling the Heavy Moldy Bags alone made me along the lines of, like, 5-7g (No MF% gear on).

Now, since our guild decided to take a break from dungeon running because we wanted to play stuff like Bioshock Infinite and maybe some Mount & Blade, I’ve just done my bosses and my orichalcum runs and stuck to making the rings. So as it stands, from Jeweler, if all I do is make 2 rings a day I can make about 7g a day. Not the worst profit in the world.

If I did Arah speed clears and TA speed clears (which we can’t because we don’t have the group make up) I could probably make somewhere along the lines of 35g a day just off of crafting and dungeons. This isn’t to show off or anything mind you, but I haven’t gotten anything out of nowhere that suddenly net me 500g.

The thing is, you have to be willing to put the time in to get those nice skins. As it stands I had made around 125g just off of doing dungeons and crafting and decided to try my luck in the forge and I got Dawn which I won’t even sell, I’ll just use it to make Sunrise to go along with The Dreamer, so even then I don’t have the benefit of profiting from my 125g loss.

That said, there are other ways to make money. For the economically inclined there’s TP flipping, some people I know run crafter power houses where they pump out tons of stuff on multiple characters to rake in incremental, but large, profits, and some people just get dumb luck and get a Black Lion Merchant Trader on their 3rd of 7 Black Lion keys which they sell for 150g.

ALL THAT SAID, the only thing I’m trying to get across is you don’t NEED to do CoF non-stop every single day to make enough money to get the stuff you want, but you do have to be willing to accept the fact that you’re probably not going to get it all within a week. However, since it sounds like expansions are a long ways off, I really don’t see the big deal anyways.

My $0.02. But 2 cents never made you rich anyways.

“73 + 22 = 100!” – Nexus