Where will Gw2 be 1 year from today

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

The painful truth? is that people are leaving Gw2

True of every MMO right ?

majority of the Gw2 community agrees this game is in a state of downward progression

What percentage if you please? 51% exactly ? 53.7%? 69%?

Did you poll a hundred thousand people? quarter million?

Or are you inventing, “facts,” to support your position? Did you feel that saying that you (and perhaps even a relatively few others with whom you’ve interacted) agree with something would not carry sufficient weight so you made up some data to make your opinion seem more important ?

I am sure that others would be more than happy to accept your claim that you know what the majority agree with if you can provide a shred of credible data to support your claim.

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

In 1 year I predict:

• 0 new armor pieces not from Gem Store
  • 0 new weapon types
  • 0 new weapon combinations
  • 0 new weapon skills
  • 0 new races
  • 0 new professions
  • 0 new dungeons
  • 0 new Guild Missions
  • 0 new legendaries
  • 0 craftable precursors
  • 0 lore to precursors or legendaries
  • 0 dyeable weapons
  • 0 attainable Tribal armor pieces
  • 0 attainable Halloween back pieces
  • 0 guild housings
  • 0 players in Cantha/Elona
  • 0 cape skins
  • 0 outfits converted to armor
  • 0 new usages for dungeon tokens
  • 0 new usages for fractal tokens
  • 0 characters who changed race
  • 0 ascended rings salvaged
  • 0 fixes for merge-kicking
  • 0 reappearances of SAB
  • 0 development to Orr story

Signed,
- Ghastly Grinning Korossive

Haha don’t be ridiculous, anet must be working on something!

Signed by 2013 me.

This actually can be true (sadly). ANET promised a lot of the listed things to the last year and didn’t happen.

Sorry for my english.

Posted by: xXZeroDeathXx.9408

xXZeroDeathXx.9408

majority of the Gw2 community agrees this game is in a state of downward progression

Or are you inventing, “facts,” to support your position? Did you feel that saying that you (and perhaps even a relatively few others with whom you’ve interacted) agree with something would not carry sufficient weight so you made up some data to make your opinion seem more important ?

I am sure that others would be more than happy to accept your claim that you know what the majority agree with if you can provide a shred of credible data to support your claim.

No there was no actual poll i conducted myself, but if you read any of the replies i made you would understand where i was coming from. When i say majority i base it on the hours/months prior i have spent reading the forums from not only Gw2 but other highly credited Mmo review sites and blogs. Majority of the people are not pleased in the direction the game is going. I started to catch on the over all picture and why Gw2 was heading in this direction months ago. People that are familiar on how the mmo business functions recognize this. If you search Gw2 forums you can find some post about this also but a lot of the times it gets deleted. You don’t always need data to see what’s happening behind curtains, just open your views and start doing your own research and you may understand. But aye if you enjoy this Game how it is and don’t care the direction it goes then by all means enjoy the game.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

No there was no actual poll i conducted myself, but if you read any of the replies i made you would understand where i was coming from. When i say majority i base it on the hours/months prior i have spent reading the forums from not only Gw2 but other highly credited Mmo review sites and blogs. Majority of the people are not pleased in the direction the game is going. I started to catch on the over all picture and why Gw2 was heading in this direction months ago. People that are familiar on how the mmo business functions recognize this. If you search Gw2 forums you can find some post about this also but a lot of the times it gets deleted. You don’t always need data to see what’s happening behind curtains, just open your views and start doing your own research and you may understand. But aye if you enjoy this Game how it is and don’t care the direction it goes then by all means enjoy the game.

The majority of the playerbase doesn’t post on the forums. Anyone with any experience in MMOs would know this.

The most you could claim MAYBE is the majority of people who post on the forums. You couldn’t even claim a majority of people who read the forums, since most people don’t post.

So the small percentage of people who agree with you mean what exactly?

Posted by: xXZeroDeathXx.9408

xXZeroDeathXx.9408

The majority of the playerbase doesn’t post on the forums. Anyone with any experience in MMOs would know this.

The most you could claim MAYBE is the majority of people who post on the forums. You couldn’t even claim a majority of people who read the forums, since most people don’t post.

So the small percentage of people who agree with you mean what exactly?

….read all the replies i made, from observing these forums, in game chat, other blogs,mmo review sites, months prior yes this game is not pleasing a lot of the core base players. It is not that hard to see. As for new players, they are new so for them they have a lot of content to catch up with, but for the core vet players that have started this game months or years ago the majority feel this game is headed downwards. It’s actually quite sad some of you cant see this. And you say most of the player base don’t even read this forum or post on here, that may be true, but the players that do count then, the ones that don’t either quit the game or just don’t care perhaps cuss they don’t play often. I mean i myself know couple players that still play this game and they know its going downhill but still play for the potential of what could happen and that very well may be many. There are many thoughts on this matter but from the time I spent reading and reading and observing I’m going to say majority or if it pleases you more than half of the core members agree.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

A year from now I think we:

1. Still won’t have precursor hunt/farming
2. Still won’t have dyeable weapons
3. Still won’t have a new class, race, or expansion
4. Will have pretty much the same rewards in WvW and EOTM as we do today. We seriously need some new exclusive armor and weapon skins to WvW or at least some continuous reward track, like sPvP has.

I think we’ll have a lot of gemstore content within this year though. I just hope we get some money making living stories, cause I’m sooo out of pocket with all the money sinks lately.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

….read all the replies i made, from observing these forums, in game chat, other blogs,mmo review sites, months prior yes this game is not pleasing a lot of the core base players. It is not that hard to see.

First of all you buy a new account , and suddenly you represent the comminty ?
If you can walk on the water i will follow you :P

I read on the forums that WoW is a p2w game now , where you can pay a 50 dollar price to istantly get a character up to 90 lvl (otop the x-pack priece + sub).
Is that also true ?

Edit: You said to ’’chemiclord’’ = ‘’fair enough, assuming you are the casual gamer’’
That means you are a raid-like person ?
What a raid-like person bought a game where it has no-raids ?

Edit2: Its understandable to ask them to speed up the content releases and implant things …. but not in this silly way … and surely not compare companies and the one of them makes 1 billion profit per year ….

I want to play a ’’Healer’’ for 2 years now , but i dont go all the way and say ‘’hurr hurrr the game will die , if you dont implant a healer’’ …

(edited by Killthehealersffs.8940)

Posted by: nightwulf.1986

nightwulf.1986

If I don’t get a Quaggan mount to ride from waypoint to waypoint a year from now, this game is dead. If I don’t get precursor crafting while riding a Quaggan mount a year from now, this game is dead. If I’m not beating up on Shiro Tagachi’s ghost in Cantha while riding a Quaggan mount, wielding a crafted pre-cursor, this game is dead. If Guild Wars 2 isn’t completely abandoned and the servers shuttered while I’m beating up on Shiro Tagachi’s ghost, riding a Quaggan, wielding a crafted pre-cursor a year from now, this game is dead. No matter what anyone says, this game is in a downward spiral unless I and my legion of followers get their Canthan Tagachi beating, Quaggan mounted precursor crafting. This future will come to pass unless these things happen.

Signed,
Ghost of MMO future

Posted by: A Lizard Bolting Skin.7426

A Lizard Bolting Skin.7426

Honestly, the GW2 business model works like this: Release updates that keep players spending money on gems. If you give ANet money for gems, you are telling them to keep the updates as they are. ANet has made a conscious decision to make small updates and fund the game off of gems alone, with no plans for an expansion. This means, at some level, ANet makes enough money off of gems alone, that it is not in their financial interest to work on an expansion. They make more money with the status quo.

Hypothetically, if players stopped paying money for gems, it would cause ANet to consider an expansion to be able to continue making money off the franchise. Which brings me to my point: When you buy gems, you are basically paying ANet to continue not making an expansion (and also to get some virtual cosmetic junk I suppose). So, if you are not satisfied with ANet’s updates, stop paying them for gems. Please and thank you.

Honestly, if GW2 continues to move further away from it’s GW1 roots, I don’t care what it will look like in a year, because I won’t be playing it.

(edited by A Lizard Bolting Skin.7426)

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

In 1 year I predict:

• 0 new weapon types
  • 0 new weapon skills
  • 0 new races
  • 0 new professions
  • 0 new dungeons
  • 0 new Guild Missions
  • 0 new legendaries
  • 0 craftable precursors
  • 0 dyeable weapons
  • 0 guild housings
  • 0 cape skins
  • 0 reappearances of SAB
  • 0 Hunam female animations restored
  • 1 Halloween 2015 event… unfortunately

Signed,

Exactly this plus:

• 0 new PvP modes
  • 0 new PvP maps
  • 0 fix for 4vs5 problem in PvP
  • 0 new WvW maps and content
  • 0 revamp of dungeons
  • 0 revamp of dungeon rewards
  • 0 return of TA:F/U
  • 0 temples will be added to the World boss timer rotation
  • 0 races will have the option to change to different race
  • 0 episodes from LS1 will be added to the LS journal
TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

(edited by moiraine.2753)

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

We should be more concerned about where we will be 1 year from now.
I mean any of us can drop dead at any moment! During the next year we could:

• be victims of accidents
  • reckless drivers
  • high blood pressure
  • ozone layer failing
  • methane gas escaping
  • global warming
  • local conflicts
  • global conflicts
  • tax collectors
  • hurricanes, typhoons
  • lawsuits
  • etc….

I don’t foresee a bright future, maybe we should realize it’s all going downward and act accordingly.

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

Based on what we’ve seen from Anet in 2014 the outlook is bleak. They are hemorrhaging talent. Couple this with the fact that chaos reigns supreme in their home office (reference to recent employee reviews on Glassdoor) I don’t see anything substantial coming in 2015 beyond more thin Living Story and QoL improvements.

I would love to be wrong in this. 2013-2014 was the era of suck for GW2, let’s hope 2015 is the year Anet turns it around.

The Glassdoor reviews you refer to are anonymous. As such they should be taken with a grain of salt, as there is no one actually confirming that any of them are in fact, true.

However what is worrying, is that Anet’s behaviour, and what they’ve done with the game has suggested that they have a lot of management problems, and the Glassdoor reviews (whether true or not) are simply confirming what people are already thinking.

That’s all their intended to do, really. Problems in the home office have trickled down into the game, that’s not a stretch. This wouldn’t be the first developer to experience this. Another example was the outsourcing of the QA team – this led to the September QoL patch as having processes run “that were not what they intended”. Bad decisions have led GW2 to this point. GW2 is still a viable enough platform the powers that be can turn this ship around, but the clock is ticking.

Posted by: Liraela.3601

Liraela.3601

Last years is bad for me (about gw2).

- More breaks with LS for months
- No SAB
- Copy Paste Halloween ( i feel that they will do same with Wintersday ><)
- New bad system exchange
- Only 1 new map where its ublocking in parts.

Look at other games, on this same system shop (like aion or neverwinter) they made in 2 years alot of new maps, dungeons, instances, items or even new playable chars.

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

Honestly, the GW2 business model works like this: Release updates that keep players spending money on gems. If you give ANet money for gems, you are telling them to keep the updates as they are. ANet has made a conscious decision to make small updates and fund the game off of gems alone, with no plans for an expansion. This means, at some level, ANet makes enough money off of gems alone, that it is not in their financial interest to work on an expansion. They make more money with the status quo.

Hypothetically, if players stopped paying money for gems, it would cause ANet to consider an expansion to be able to continue making money off the franchise. Which brings me to my point: When you buy gems, you are basically paying ANet to continue not making an expansion (and also to get some virtual cosmetic junk I suppose). So, if you are not satisfied with ANet’s updates, stop paying them for gems. Please and thank you.

Honestly, if GW2 continues to move further away from it’s GW1 roots, I don’t care what it will look like in a year, because I won’t be playing it.

I see your point. From a NA standpoint, a near-stoppage of gem sales may lead to a reduction in force; however, Anet and NCsoft have been making a killing in China. Cash is falling from the sky. A player revolt could still influence NCsoft into pressuring Anet into making an expansion. After all, the expansion would serve on two continents now. Win-win for everyone.

But I don’t see this happening. Anet can sit back and enjoy the profits from China for another year before feeling the pressure to release anything substantial. Meanwhile North America continues to languish. We are not the primary customers anymore- China is. As far as Anet’s concerned we got our money’s worth. Time to move on.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

In 1 year I predict:

• 0 new weapon types
  • 0 new weapon skills
  • 0 new races
  • 0 new professions
  • 0 new dungeons
  • 0 new Guild Missions
  • 0 new legendaries
  • 0 craftable precursors
  • 0 dyeable weapons
  • 0 guild housings
  • 0 cape skins
  • 0 reappearances of SAB

Signed,

Haha don’t be ridiculous, anet must be working on something!

Signed by 2013 me.

This actually can be true (sadly). ANET promised a lot of the listed things to the last year and didn’t happen.

Link or it never happened. Once again you are deliberately misrepresenting what A net said in an attempt to make them look bad. This forum is so embarrassing.

Posted by: Liraela.3601

Liraela.3601

They did it. Was On official website this info. In december they promised us that they “pass themselves” with new plans etc.

Vayne.8563

Anet “promised” us nothing. Anet did outline a plan for the future. However Anet has said hundreds, even thousands of things and a handful haven’t happened. That’s it.

If you want to call that a bad track record go ahead. But it’s not, no matter how you slice it.

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

it will be at the same place it is today but with less people and less profit.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I have no clue what I will be doing a year from now, crystal ball gazing a game is very,very low on my priority list.

Posted by: kins.3294

kins.3294

GW2 will be in the discount bin…. Oh wait! It already is! in that case it will be ran be populated by the few remaining white knights who like to be abused by a game company

Posted by: Narsilik Khilsigre.9453

Narsilik Khilsigre.9453

Gods, I hope they’re not doing GW3 at this point. With all that is broken in this game I would shudder to see what GW3 had in store.

The last day dawns in the Kingdom of Ascalon…

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

You guys haven’t seen a really broken game if you think this is broken.

Posted by: samo.1054

samo.1054

First of all, I like this game.

But it’s becoming increasingly obvious that Anet are going to have to step up their game… Step up big time. I’m talking expansion big. Without it, they’ve doomed their own game – that’s one simple fact.

Just a thought – If Anet (or NCsoft) continue to treat GW2 the way they did until now, there’s more chance that in 5 years time, WoW will still be alive and kicking, while GW2 pretty much dead… and at that point in time, WoW will be a 15 year-old game.

People responsible for development and funding of GW2 should consider, because obviously they’re doing something wrong. After 2 years, good and strong MMOs grow stronger. GW2 is going weak.

No meaningful additions to the game for a long long time now, it feels like they have like 2 developers and one half-drunk lead designer working on the game… The only thing they are doing is adding and changing things that no one asked for, and those changes usually end up annoying the majority of their players (enter april trait system change, enter september NPE, enter the recent change to currency exchange in TP… I really could go on forever here). And oh boy, let’s wait till they implement the “no white swords” in WvW. There’s going to be tons of rage… and for a good reason.

They better announce something big (and I already defined “big” in this post) after the season 2 ends, or it’s the beginning of the end. Slow but painful ending. Especially painful for those of us that want this game to unleash it’s full potential.

(edited by samo.1054)

Vayne.8563

GW2 will be in the discount bin…. Oh wait! It already is! in that case it will be ran be populated by the few remaining white knights who like to be abused by a game company

Yes, it’s populated by no one now. No one is playing this game. No one every complains about lag at events. The funniest bit about comments like this is how transparent they are.

I don’t like the game so no one plays it. This is simply incorrect.

Posted by: Narsilik Khilsigre.9453

Narsilik Khilsigre.9453

Yeah, broken. I’ve been a gamer a looong time and I’ve seen what polished games look like and half-finished games. MMO’s generally fit into half-finished as end content is not usually the primary focus when developing the game to what it is. There may be a plan in place, but it usually gets implemented when the producers tell you to rush the game out and less time is spent developing for it. GW2 is of no exception. Case in point, look at the differences in the dungeons. You can tell they spent a great deal of time developing Ascalonian Catacombs (because of the demo/beta maybe) while the others seem progressively more… haphazardly slapped together. The story dungeon in Arah was a giant mess and sadly, a bit underwhelming. The other dungeons, story-wise, are a little more forgettable as story elements do not culminate to them as much (meaning they can mostly be skipped and not missed). Technical glitches aside, balance issues, and everything else aside, yes, GW2 may not have been as “broken” as others, but I have seen better attempts even with launch day issues. And, I actually love this game if you can figure that out.

Let me put it this way: ArenaNet is in no way ready to make a GW3 as there are A LOT of things they need to flesh out with this one. It’s not going to happen any time soon; I know that and I’m happy with that, I just found it humorous that someone was anxious about it when this game is nowhere near done.

The last day dawns in the Kingdom of Ascalon…

kins.3294

Yes, it’s populated by no one now. No one is playing this game. No one every complains about lag at events. The funniest bit about comments like this is how transparent they are.

I think you forgot that we are talking about the future…. That’s ok reading is hard.

Vayne.8563

I think you forgot that we are talking about the future…. That’s ok reading is hard.

I didn’t forget anything. But since people are playing and enjoying it and it’s not particularly losing people, saying that only white knights will be populating it is like extrapolating something from nothing.

Even saying it’s in the bargain bin isn’t really true, since it goes on sale and then it’s full price again, just like every other item that goes on sale. I was in EB games last week and it was full price.

But you know, never let the truth hurt someone trying to insult something he doesn’t like.

Posted by: longshot.1397

longshot.1397

Gw2 will still be here. The population may be reduced but will survive for awhiile yet. Theissue I think is the potential is there, unfortunately the development isbt. We are given exciting concepts that just arent implemented and we are getting frustrated. Sure w dont see every unhappy user posting, they just talk with their feet and move on. We do hear from the vocal minority who either are blinded by the promise and potential of the game or the disheartend fueled by the prospects that are not realised. Either way, the static and stagnant content will eventually drive the population lower.

On the other side of the coin is if anet gives us new fresh content, the game still has so much growth potential. Its all in anets hands. Ijust hope they make some better calls than they have over the last 18 months

kins.3294

I didn’t forget anything. But since people are playing and enjoying it and it’s not particularly losing people, saying that only white knights will be populating it is like extrapolating something from nothing.

Even saying it’s in the bargain bin isn’t really true, since it goes on sale and then it’s full price again, just like every other item that goes on sale. I was in EB games last week and it was full price.

But you know, never let the truth hurt someone trying to insult something he doesn’t like.

I was at the gamezone the other day and it was 19,99. Now I do not know much but I do not think that is full price since i paid a lot more for it.

And yes the white knights who love and defend the game will be all that is left after everyone has moved on to other games, thinking this is not true just means that you are one of them.

So do not let the truth hurt your mind too much.

Vayne.8563

I was at the gamezone the other day and it was 19,99. Now I do not know much but I do not think that is full price since i paid a lot more for it.

And yes the white knights who love and defend the game will be all that is left after everyone has moved on to other games, thinking this is not true just means that you are one of them.

Right because it’s not one of the most popular MMORPGs on the market. lmao

Long after all the other pretenders have shed the bulk of their player base, Guild Wars 2 will still be going strong. I hope you have the brass to come back in a year and see if you were wrong or right.

It’s so easy to make a prediction you can’t back up with no basis in anything but your own dislike. It’s much harder to stand by it long term.

Posted by: Noobix.3958

Noobix.3958

In the same place it is now.

kins.3294

Long after all the other pretenders have shed the bulk of their player base, Guild Wars 2 will still be going strong. I hope you have the brass to come back in a year and see if you were wrong or right.

It’s so easy to make a prediction you can’t back up with no basis in anything but your own dislike. It’s much harder to stand by it long term.

Ncsoft’s flagship MMO Guild Wars 2 showed a decline in sales and revenue, making ?34 billion ($32 million) in Q4, 2013. That’s down from ?119 billion ($112 million) in the prior year’s quarter, when the game launched – a clear reflection of its subscription-free model. However, with the title still to launch in Asian territories, traditionally NCsoft’s strongest market, those numbers are expected to climb again soon.

Pretty obvious that the market is getting saturated (that means lesser inflow), with people getting bored of the game because of lackluster updates(WvW for me and many others) people will leave, because of the reduced inflow and increased outflow the population will drop, because the population drops other people will leave because they feel that the game is empty creating more outflow against an even more reduced inflow.

Can you still follow it? or should i write it up even more simplistic?

If you take WvW as a preview of the outflow then the game will be dead in a year.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

A year from now. That’s 12 months. So most likely:

• 8 total more episodes of “bi-weekly” LS (absolute maximum).
  • No new dungeons.
  • No WvW content.
  • No guild content.
  • One recycled Wintersday and one recycled Halloween event….
  • 12 more episodes of cash grab fury similar to the gold-to-gems disaster we just went through and the commander tag debacle.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Did Anet cut workers short

Actually, as far as we can know, yes, this is their primary problem.
Somewhere between ANet’s management and NCsoft, wages are low, incentives are low and morale is low, leading to talent bleeding left and right and centre.

This in turn means that any new talent coming in is confronted with tools and an engine which they did not write, and whose producers are long gone. Couple this with the usual incomplete documentation and you have a recipe for disaster as just about when the new person is knowledgeable, they also got enough time in the industry to be hired by another company (which pays more).

And as far as I can tell, that’s pretty much the main reason behind the extremely glacial dev speed. Which is at the root of all problems ,content, balance, bugfixing. Super-slow development speed, likely caused by constant cycling of people and loss of talent.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Can’t imagine any substantial coming to the game. Maybe 1-2 new (mini-)zones, few bits of casual play story that gets repetitive after doing it once. There will be certainly not be:

• new dungeons/raids
  • new classes
  • new professions
  • new weapons
  • more than a couple of new skills
  • new campaign/continent
  • new PvP modes (really… 1 mode after 2 years, still). Remember GW1 had about 8-10 different PvP modes after two years.
  • improvements to the UI (additional slots for bufffood, toys etc?), more options to personalize the UI? gosh REALLY
  • improvements to graphics and overall polish (directx9 still…)
‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

• new PvP modes (really… 1 mode after 2 years, still). Remember GW1 had about 8-10 different PvP modes after two years.

Eh…

Hero Battle (removed now)
Team Arena, Random Arena, Heroes Ascent
Guild vs Guild
Fort Aspenwood
Jade Quarry

I don’t know about you but I see 4 different modes. Not 8-10.
TA, RA and HA were the same mode after Team Deathmatch mode after all.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Eileane.3845

Eileane.3845

In a year from now…

… NCSoft will have released its first expansion
…is still working on the Guildhall instances (ppl will be whining about this big time)

Boxie Togg (main)… probably Tyrias only Asuran Mesmer that ultimately fails at jumping puzzles
Stinky McLane… the only Necro known to have a toothpaste fetish
Lefty (give me a second) Fiddlesticks… one Engineer, two clumbsy hands…

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I count that as different. But yeah, you can count this as well. You forgot: Alliance Battles, so I count 8, but you can it count 6 if you choose to put TA, RA and HA in one (it’s legit). It’s still a lot more than we have in GW2, right?

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I count that as different. But yeah, you can count this as well. You forgot: Alliance Battles, so I count 8, but you can it count 6 if you choose to put TA, RA and HA in one (it’s legit). It’s still a lot more than we have in GW2, right?

Ah true. I felt like I had missed something!

Aye, it is more than we have in GW2, but on the other hand GW1 was also advertised as a PvP-focused game, while GW2 was not.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Scipio.3204

Scipio.3204

I’m sure in 1 year from today Guild Wars 1 will be about where it is now. For every person who leaves, another person joins. For many of those people it’s their first MMO and they won’t move on.

It’s likely there are as many new players as long time vets right now. So I don’t know why anyone would think it’s not going to be fine. It’ll just be fine without some of us.

If you mean GW2, I find that statement highly unlikely. For every person leaves another joins is simply not true. Proof is on Xfire, in the first months GW2 had 17k unique logins, ~ 1 year ago the number of unique logins was 4k, now on the first day of halloween its 440. Even if we count with the data we have from 1 year ago means the active playerbase ~90% stopped playing

Vayne.8563

Ncsoft’s flagship MMO Guild Wars 2 showed a decline in sales and revenue, making ?34 billion ($32 million) in Q4, 2013. That’s down from ?119 billion ($112 million) in the prior year’s quarter, when the game launched – a clear reflection of its subscription-free model. However, with the title still to launch in Asian territories, traditionally NCsoft’s strongest market, those numbers are expected to climb again soon.

Pretty obvious that the market is getting saturated (that means lesser inflow), with people getting bored of the game because of lackluster updates(WvW for me and many others) people will leave, because of the reduced inflow and increased outflow the population will drop, because the population drops other people will leave because they feel that the game is empty creating more outflow against an even more reduced inflow.

Can you still follow it? or should i write it up even more simplistic?

If you take WvW as a preview of the outflow then the game will be dead in a year.

You’re underestimating the number of casuals, new players and people who take breaks and come back. You also clearly have little idea of how business plans work.

Guild Wars 2 is performing at expectation not below it. The sign of that is no lay offs. Every single big business has a business plan they follow. They EXPECT falloff. They make plans based on it. Saying a game makes less money a year after launch is a no brainer. But it still makes millions of dollars a month. That’s not hay.

Clearly you think that it makes millions of dollars because no one plays it. Again, not the case. Do you really think if you and I leave this game it’ll make a difference to the bottom line. What about 10% of the population? 20%?

Do you know how many people buy the game or come back? Do you know how many people will play the game and buy stuff in China?

The game is fine. That it made less money year two than year one is only relevant if it didn’t meet expectations laid out in the business plan.

You can try to talk down to me and talk about making things simple…but business isn’t that simple. If you knew that you wouldn’t say half of what you’ve said.

Vayne.8563

I’m sure in 1 year from today Guild Wars 1 will be about where it is now. For every person who leaves, another person joins. For many of those people it’s their first MMO and they won’t move on.

It’s likely there are as many new players as long time vets right now. So I don’t know why anyone would think it’s not going to be fine. It’ll just be fine without some of us.

If you mean GW2, I find that statement highly unlikely. For every person leaves another joins is simply not true. Proof is on Xfire, in the first months GW2 had 17k unique logins, ~ 1 year ago the number of unique logins was 4k, now on the first day of halloween its 440. Even if we count with the data we have from 1 year ago means the active playerbase ~90% stopped playing

No one is talking about the first months. Do you realize 90% of everyone who’s ever played WOW doesn’t play WoW anymore?

We’re talking about sustained figures, not peak figures. That happens with all games.

The game is making millions of dollars a month. That’s a lot of money. It’s enough money to keep the game going for a long time. It’s just launched in China so the figures will go up, not down.

No one, and I mean no one, not Anet, not NcSoft and not me thought a 2 year old MMO will have the same playerbase as launch month. That’s not even close to reasonable.

The game has enough players and enough money to continue indefinitely…and it will. It’s not going to be a mega huge blockbuster and I never claimed it was. I claimed enough people like this sort of thing and have no real alternative to keep this game going for a long long time. And if you don’t believe it, have the bottle to come back in a year and then talk to me.

Scipio.3204

No one is talking about the first months. Do you realize 90% of everyone who’s ever played WOW doesn’t play WoW anymore?

We’re talking about sustained figures, not peak figures. That happens with all games.

The game is making millions of dollars a month. That’s a lot of money. It’s enough money to keep the game going for a long time. It’s just launched in China so the figures will go up, not down.

No one, and I mean no one, not Anet, not NcSoft and not me thought a 2 year old MMO will have the same playerbase as launch month. That’s not even close to reasonable.

The game has enough players and enough money to continue indefinitely…and it will. It’s not going to be a mega huge blockbuster and I never claimed it was. I claimed enough people like this sort of thing and have no real alternative to keep this game going for a long long time. And if you don’t believe it, have the bottle to come back in a year and then talk to me.

I’m sorry, but I didn’t talk about the first months I was talking about ~ year ago, otherwise your argument would be relevant.

On the GW2 is still making money thing , we saw decrease in revenue in Q2 from Q1 even with the launch of china. Also you saw this week’s gem conversion change, looks pretty desperate to me, and I’m pretty sure they knew what’s going to be the players reaction. Also you might know how much does GW2 make every month, but do you also know the expenses? Without that it’s hard to tell “GW2 is financially a succes”.

Also noone is doubting wether GW2 will be here 1 year from now , but some people got tired they get as much content in GW2 as they got in GW1 while they were working on GW2. The question here is wether GW2 is making enough money to take the development forward, not backwards.

Vayne.8563

I’m sorry, but I didn’t talk about the first months I was talking about ~ year ago, otherwise your argument would be relevant.

On the GW2 is still making money thing , we saw decrease in revenue in Q2 from Q1 even with the launch of china. Also you saw this week’s gem conversion change, looks pretty desperate to me, and I’m pretty sure they knew what’s going to be the players reaction. Also you might know how much does GW2 make every month, but do you also know the expenses? Without that it’s hard to tell “GW2 is financially a succes”.

Also noone is doubting wether GW2 will be here 1 year from now , but some people got tired they get as much content in GW2 as they got in GW1 while they were working on GW2. The question here is wether GW2 is making enough money to take the development forward, not backwards.

You didn’t see a decrease with the launch in China. China sales aren’t listed under the Guild Wars 2 figures they’re listed under royalties.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Ah good a zero sum table tennis game has broken out.

Posted by: Tryxtr.6295

Tryxtr.6295

I’m going to put on my Optimistic Hat for a second:

In 1 year I will be:
– Speaking with my guildies in our beautiful Guild Hall about the upcoming Raid system to be implemented next month. And since I have some time before the GvG starts I’m going to take my Tengu Alchemist to the Dominion of Winds to do some leveling.

….takes Optimist Hat off….

In one year I will be:
– Complaining that the Skeletal Lich is annoying to kill and wondering what to do in-game now that I’ve already finished the meta for Blood & Madness. Sigh.

Scipio.3204

You didn’t see a decrease with the launch in China. China sales aren’t listed under the Guild Wars 2 figures they’re listed under royalties.

My bad. Still, Q2 had the biggest update of the year so far and we saw a decrease without china, and all my other point stands.

Posted by: spritefire.5234

spritefire.5234

I’ve been here since beta and it has dropped so far down that I am now playing games I had originally left to go off and play gw2 for.
Hopefully 1 year from now I will be playing the next best MMO hoping that finally someone gets it right.

Posted by: NEOCROM.8957

NEOCROM.8957

That’s why we deserve less events, why? Because after every major update, you see at least 15 poisonous topics where the HATE is the main subject. Why you are still here? You hate the game, even if it’s on the top5 or top3? Fine, go somewhere else.

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

That’s why we deserve less events, why? Because after every major update, you see at least 15 poisonous topics where the HATE is the main subject. Why you are still here? You hate the game, even if it’s on the top5 or top3? Fine, go somewhere else.

I personaly am here on the forums because i like the game.But i find that it is severly lacking hard core end game.And i refuse to give Anet even 1$ if i don’t see something added for the veteran players.I wpn’t buy anyting from the game shop untill Anet start to care more for me and players like me that actually want more things for WvW/PvP/PvE that are NOT LS.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

(edited by moiraine.2753)