Which classes can be a solid main?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Amaranthe.3578

Amaranthe.3578

hey guys
im a returning player,just got HoT
i wanna start a fresh main but i just cant choose
i prefer mostly ranged,but heres the thing for me
heres the thing for mein mmos i mostly stick to one main and almost never use alts
i want a class that has a role in all the game modes,i dont wanna choose a main and then being locked out of wvwvw for example or dungeons or raids cuz my class is just bad in that game mod
in any mmo ive played so far i never had such a poblem
but here all i see is: class x is not viable for dungeons/wvwvw/spvp so if u wanna dungeon/wvwvw/spvp don’t take it
are there no classes which have a role in all the game modes?
the classes that appeal to me in terms of flavor : ele/ranger/engi/reveran(not in that order)

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

It is never stated that they are not viable, they are just not optimal meaning best in slot for many.

Posted by: Minx.7521

Minx.7521

Any of those are viable ^.^ Really depends on how you want to play :P Action cam helps engis a lot now

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

I’m partial to engi’s. In my opinin its the class with the most flexible options which are still quite viable in their various forms.

Posted by: senki.1046

senki.1046

Anything, but thief. Thief is garbage in everygame mode now

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Go Revnant they are wicked awesome . Realistically though any class is viable as a main

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

anything but thief or ranger (unless you want to be a healer)

Posted by: Minx.7521

Minx.7521

OMG. I thought saying so would be mean lol, I didn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings, but YES. YES. do ANYTHING but thieves. Seriously I get super upset if I see a thief in my high lvl fractal parties. It’s not that they’re bad players, it’s just a terribly nerfed class that’s hard to survive (compared to everyone else) and doesn’t give much to the team.

Posted by: Xetu.7341

Xetu.7341

I would actually say Elementalist is most flexible for everything.

Go melee or range, be a supportive tank or go for pure damage.

I really love the Tempest, I am tanking the kitten out of everything and I am still doing good damage.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Engie and Ele are the more flexible build wise, but Ele always get more love from Anet.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Xetu.7341

Xetu.7341

Engie and Ele are the more flexible build wise, but Ele always get more love from Anet.

I don’t see any reason why Ele got more love…

Without elite spells you barely have any good utility spells.

Ofc you can use some blast finishers which do nothing other than having the combo finisher.
The weapons are all garbage. After the frost bow nerf I barely see any Ele using it.
The elite spells are just bad, really bad. Only the flame sword is decent, but with 3 min cooldown I’d rather take any utility spell with lower cooldown over it.

Maybe use the blink? So much cooldown… just as all the other defensive spells…

Posted by: Redattack.7836

Redattack.7836

Revenant is a lot of fun, great DPS, can tank really well and provide great support too. Great jack of all trades class imo. Absolutely destroys in PvP/WvW if played right. Though it’s more of a melee class, although it can also play ranged.

If you prefer ranged a lot more though, I’d go with Elementalist. Never played one myself, but from my experience playing with them, they seem like a good, well-rounded class.

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

Then why do I do well with Thief in the three modes?

Posted by: Arius.7031

Arius.7031

Ele is the most viable of all of those—it fills not only a good but nearly required role in every game mode (heavy dps in pve, the key to backline in WvW zerg busting, apex predator of WvW roaming, and a very well rounded PvP 1v1/team fighter).

Rev is like ele in that regard, though a little less desired in most game modes due to less support and not a key part in the backline of zergs (no static/water fields or).

Engi is great for PvP, okay for WvW, but generally not particularly desired for PvE.

Ranger is generally not wanted or needed for any old content. Druid might change things up, but I haven’t seen druid in action so I can’t say. I hear they’re the best in slot dedicated healer, but then that’ll still be the only way you’re really useful to any group in anything.

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

More or less, any class will do. Don’t let someone else tell you what or how you should play, that how I see it.

Posted by: Substatic.6958

Substatic.6958

I wouldn’ t go Necro, word on the street is when all the HoT dust settles it’ll be back to “No necro” for dungeons/fractal/raids. Lowest DPS and bad group support.

Posted by: echoeagle.5439

echoeagle.5439

I like my thief and necro whats wrong with them?

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

Thief main here with almost 2k hours under my belt. Don’t listen to those saying thief is fine, it’s not. You can play well but the class only has access to one type of play and has little to no support.

Literally any other class would be an okay choice. Some less optimal then others, but the others are all well-rounded and capable of multiple roles across all game types.

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

Posted by: Hokeypokey.2135

Hokeypokey.2135

Pick ranger if you like logging on to see your skills get weaker every other day

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

I main a Necromancer that is now a Reaper.

Now instead of a Terrormancer, She is more of a Banshee (Fear AND Chill does damage).

Swap between staff and greatsword. Love it!

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior