Who else loves Female Enemies?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TheDraconian.7934

TheDraconian.7934

One thing that’s always bugged me in a lot of media is the fact that we don’t see a lot of female goons or henchmen unless the hero is a girl or the creators are going for some kind of Amazon warrior thing. That’s why I really like the fact that a lot of the enemies in Guild Wars 2 across four of the five races have women fighting alongside the men. The only exception to this is The Flame Legion, but that makes sense in universe as the Flame Legion are pretty much the MRA’s of Tyria. I know this is a weird thing to get excited about, but it I feel that it just helps considering American society is so terrified of seeing women get hurt in any way.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Did you forget about LS1? Scarlet?

Edit: oops, took the whole post the wrong way. You’re celebrating female enemies in GW2! Yeah, I think it’s pretty cool too.

Edit 2: What about Sons of Svanir? I don’t see many females around there. (I guess the clue’s in the name there, but I wonder what the lore is behind it).

A lot of enemy races seem one-sided in the gender department. Jotuns, ogres, giants, minotaur all appear fairly masculine whilst harpies and krait seem pretty feminine. Part of this is to replicate what we see in nature I guess- gender differences aren’t obvious in many species. Visual gender differences are also a pretty human construct (like me applying the label “masculine” to the bulky, square-jawed races), but it’d still be nice to see more variety in enemy models.

(edited by Crimson Clouds.4853)

Posted by: eyestrain.3056

eyestrain.3056

^ the son of svanir hate and distrust women because their founder was killed by Jora.

ps also they think women are weak and i’m glad the game treats them like poopy heads

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Edit 2: What about Sons of Svanir? I don’t see many females around there. (I guess the clue’s in the name there, but I wonder what the lore is behind it).

Jora killed her brother, Svanir. You’ll find plenty of lore around it in Wayfarer Foothills and if you ever try out GW1 for HoM points (or any other reason) then you can be part of it.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Jelle.2807

Jelle.2807

I agree, it’s a refreshing change.

Sons of Svanir do not accept females in their rank at all, courtesy of Jorra killing Svanir, and the general sentiment that women are too weak to follow Dragon.

Wow, the ninjas.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

Wow! The forum allows “poopy heads”! :O

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Wow! The forum allows “poopy heads”! :O

TIL

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

What’s the difference besides the image?

Pineapples

Posted by: TheDraconian.7934

TheDraconian.7934

What’s the difference besides the image?

Like I said before, most media just refuses to have female goons for the heroes to take down. It feels weird because it looks like the heroes are the only ones who are equal opportunity employers or something. As for the image, it just helps the world feel more alive to see that kind of variety in the enemies. Similar to how in Pacific Rim having all those extra’s of different races and genders in the background just helps make the world more realistic.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I suspect in a lot of games it’s simply a matter of not wanting (or having time/money) to make as many models.

In an RPG it won’t make much difference because they’ve got to have lots of different models for NPCs anyway and the enemies often use the same ones as allies and neutral NPCs.

But in something like an FPS game where it’s usually just you and your allies (who are likely to all have unique models) and the enemies adding generic female enemies would mean making two versions of each type of enemy.

Unless they do something like make all units of one type female. RTS games often do this, and it kind of works but it seems very weird once you realise that your cavalry are always male and your mages are always female (for example).

Also in some situations it’s actually more realistic not to have them. The old Call of Duty games set during World War 2 for example, there were very, very few female soldiers back then so having them in the games would be strange.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

(edited by Danikat.8537)

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

One of the things I like about GW2 is how varied the characters are on all sides, been catching up with GW1 recently and it shows how little variety there could have been :p (I could be wrong though I’m only halfway through prophecies)

Scarlet, Faolain and Mai Trin are some of my favourite antagonists

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: MegumiAzusa.2918

MegumiAzusa.2918

been catching up with GW1 recently and it shows how little variety there could have been :p (I could be wrong though I’m only halfway through prophecies)

True, Varesh was the first female that really had any real impact. Maybe the Fortune Teller, though it’s a demon and thus probably gender neutral.