Who still does this?

Who still does this?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

Little Story:
So I made yet another character(engie) and started exploring queensdale with him. I decided to take my chances and take on the veteran ettin even though I was 3-4 levels below. Another player joined me and we had to keep him busy with turrets while we took care of the other ettins that kept spawning. A whole lotta dodging, close calls, and healing just so we could get the skill point.
It was really fun though and I enjoyed the challenge.

I noticed that many players prefer to win as fast as possible by zerging bosses, using exploits in dungeons, and only allowing certain builds/gear(whether you enjoy them or not) in order to complete instances as fast as they can.

TLDR:
I was wondering if there is anyone left out there who still enjoys that experience of exploring areas or taking on challenges above your level where you are outmanned and you have to rely on that random player who just happened to walk by to help you overcome these challenges. No zerging, no exploits, and all fun.

Note: I am not a very skilled player but that just adds to the challenge. I have been playing for over a year and I still love to explore the lands and run into other players who are trying to take down that boss all on their own.
Wish I could at least find a guild that still does that.

(Added this random picture I took for the dramatic effect :P)

Attachments:

Who still does this?

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

Yup, I am still here.

But that style of play only works in PvE. You go into WvW in greens/yellows looking for a challenge you’re just going to get 2 shot by a thief.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Who still does this?

Zavve.8205

oh yeah for sure. I mostly do WvW atm and defend our borderlands. I should have stated that I meant PvE.

Who still does this?

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

Yep, I still play that way too. I enjoy rushing into a group of enemies who are four levels above me and have a veteran with them…especially when I’m gloating over their dead bodies a few minutes later. Of course, sometimes they’re gloating over my body…but that’s just the way it goes.

Who still does this?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I do this quite frequently. I was on a level 40 ranger the other day and soloed the wasp soldier and wasp queen in Fields of Ruin. It was fun. Then I did an event in one of the charr areas at level, that had multiple champions in them which I soloed.

Though solo might be the wrong word because I had helpful NPCs. lol

Yeah, I enjoy doing stuff like that. I don’t usually follow the herd.

Who still does this?

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

I do this quite frequently. I was on a level 40 ranger the other day and soloed the wasp soldier and wasp queen in Fields of Ruin. It was fun. Then I did an event in one of the charr areas at level, that had multiple champions in them which I soloed.

Though solo might be the wrong word because I had helpful NPCs. lol

Yeah, I enjoy doing stuff like that. I don’t usually follow the herd.

Vayne, you’re my hero.

Who still does this?

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I do this sort of stuff all the time with my guildies. All 1.5 of them, that is. Its great fun and reminds me of times in older MMOs when you just did it anyway.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Who still does this?

Zavve.8205

Nice to see that I am not the only one. Honestly, this is what keeps me here haha. It is also why I can constantly level new characters the normal way without crafting and farming 24/7.

Who still does this?

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Just exploring around and getting up to no good is my favorite thing by far in this game.
I usually have a couple of characters off doing this.

The other day I was in Dregdehaunt Cliffs trying to find that horrifying vista by Sorrows embrace at least one of those lol.
I was standing just under it unable to find my way up when a champ spawned right by me and made me fall- I smacked him so hard!. Killed him from sheer rage

Then a very helpful random person wandered past and showed me the way up- and helped me kill the vet that sat on the vista

Gunnar’s Hold

Who still does this?

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

A true explorer of Tyria right here. -bows- I didn’t do just map completion, I did my best to uncover every single cave, boss, puzzle, secret events, and champ fight there was to have. I’ve discovered a whole bounty of adventure, and even if I go back to an old place, I still find something new.

Heck, I even made my own ‘soloist build’ for PvE exploring up in the mesmer forums. People can keep their ascended gears and time record dungeon runs. I still get a lot more amazed ‘oohs’ and ‘aahs’ when I drag them out and show em what I found.

Who still does this?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

This is a big part of how I play.

I spend most of my time in this game just roaming around PvE, either new maps I need to complete or areas I’ve enjoyed before, and just dealing with whatever comes up. Some of my favourite experiences have been when I never got to do what I’d planned (even something as simple as ’get that point of interest) because so much other stuff came up or I got drawn completely off course by an event chain or an interesting cave or something.

I felt like it was a major achievement when I first managed to solo one of the champion steam creatures. At first I was hoping someone else would come along, towards the end I was really hoping they wouldn’t so I could do it completely alone.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Who still does this?

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

I would, but due to the method of completionist I am I frequently end up 8 levels above everyone else in that region.

Who still does this?

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

You go into WvW in greens/yellows looking for a challenge you’re just going to get 2 1 shot by a thief.

Fixed that for you.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Who still does this?

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I do that too

Who still does this?

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

I applaud the OP and all the other posters for playing this way.

I have tried to do the same, but anytime I try to, any map Im on..I seem to be alone. No random adventurers, no one completing that event to re-take the town.

Feels like a single player game. So how do you do it? Or..do you not mind being alone in these zones?

(serious question though…)

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Who still does this?

Posted by: Finnway.2183

Finnway.2183

I noticed that many players prefer to win as fast as possible by zerging bosses, using exploits in dungeons, and only allowing certain builds/gear(whether you enjoy them or not) in order to complete instances as fast as they can.

I like to win as fast as possible… but I’m not so hardcore that I discriminate against other players. I agree with the general spirit of your post that this playstyle (yours not mine) is when GW2 is at its best. I wish there was more rewards associated with this playstyle (such as more Karma skins for completing events).

This game is not about out-DPSing you. It’s about out-flashing you.

(edited by Finnway.2183)

Who still does this?

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I have tried to do the same, but anytime I try to, any map Im on..I seem to be alone. No random adventurers, no one completing that event to re-take the town.

Feels like a single player game. So how do you do it? Or..do you not mind being alone in these zones?

I honestly don’t mind being alone since I find it relaxing and very immerse.

I always run into people and it is good because we have a shared love of exploring and very often we go off into some cool looking cave or whatever- or just share a bit of our journey before we move on.
This is the best thing about exploring imo the people you meet and the cool places you see

Gunnar’s Hold

Who still does this?

Zavve.8205

ATM I just guest to Tarnished Coast since there is a large PvE community. I usually get lucky and run into players there. I would recommend that you do the same if your server seems empty. I am sure there are other servers that also have a large PvE community but I have not looked yet.

Who still does this?

Posted by: Oenanthe.6549

Oenanthe.6549

It’s nice to see a thread in which people admit to enjoying the game.

I’m another who goes out and explores just for sake of it, and gathers anything I come across, kind of farming, but not intensive.

Yesterday, on my level 80 ranger in Dredgehaunt Cliffs I came across a small town with a champ standing in the middle so I decided to have a go, simply because he was there. Fortunately I managed to take him down, although I did spend a couple of minutes running in circles trying to keep out of reach as I had let my pet die rather than swap them around at the right time (bad judgement on my part). For me that type of fight is far more fun than standing in a zerg train, even if leveling isn’t as quick, for me speed isn’t everything.

I don’t mind being alone in areas, its a big world and there shouldn’t be masses of people around every corner, it makes it more interesting, and if you do come across someone else it makes seeing them more special, particularly if they happen to arrive just at the right time in a champ fight.

Who still does this?

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Been doing this since launch in all zones, but it’s been easier and more fun since Living World stuff has been extended and I’m caught up with metas. My OCD on meta AP hunting can take a break and I can get back to enjoying the world at large!

Sometimes it is nice just to pick a zone and just go wandering!

Who still does this?

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

I used to love exploring in MMO’s, but ever since the in game map has become big, it has all but completely lost it’s luster to me.

Exploring on EQ pre Atlas, now that was fun, exploring today in mmo’s is like going to a popular hiking trail and saying it’s “exploring”.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.