Who the hell...

Who the hell...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Arnox.5128

Arnox.5128

Would DDoS ANet? >:( That’s like DDoSing Valve. Or at least DDoSing Valve back when they were cool.

ArenaNet, please give us more skills!

Who the hell...

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I presume the purpose of ddosing someone is to enjoy annoying as many people as possible.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Who the hell...

Posted by: AvaAzul.8290

AvaAzul.8290

Server been down since 1am EST

Attachments:

Who the hell...

Just a flesh wound.3589

They have this post in the support forum.

We’re aware of the issue and are looking into it.
I’ll update here as I get them.

Temp Workaround:
(This will not work for everyone)

As a temporary bypass add -assetsrv 64.25.41.2 to your Gw2 Shortcut in the Target Section (you will want to clear this out at a later date)

64.25.41.3, 64.25.41.4 may also work

ANet may give it to you.

Who the hell...

Posted by: Ray Koopa.2354

Ray Koopa.2354

And I thought I got banned for kicking a golem from behind (still can’t connect here).

Who the hell...

Posted by: AvaAzul.8290

AvaAzul.8290

Temp Workaround:

As a temporary bypass add -assetsrv 64.25.41.2 to your Gw2 Shortcut in the Target Section (you will want to clear this out at a later date)

didn’t work.

Who the hell...

Just a flesh wound.3589

Temp Workaround:

didn’t work.

Oh well. Next post

For those able to get in with the workaround, great. For those that are still unable to get in, we are actively troubleshooting the issue. Sorry for the inconvenience!

ANet may give it to you.

Who the hell...

Posted by: Dreamy Lu.3865

Dreamy Lu.3865

Could someone explain how to exactly put the “-assetsrv 64.25.41.2” in the target section? Alone? At the end of existing path? Sorry, first time I am trying to use such bypass. Thank you.

QUESTION CANCELLED. Description is given in the support section. See below for info:
- copy this from here: -assetsrv 64.25.41.2
- go to your GW2 folder
-find your GW2.exe (or GW2 -64. exe)
- make a link from the *.exe to your desktop
- go to your desktop, find the link and open its properties
- paste the -assetsrv 64.25.41.2 behind the exe
- looks like this: “C:\Program Files\Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.exe” -assetsrv 64.25.41.4

(edited by Dreamy Lu.3865)

Who the hell...

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

I presume the purpose of ddosing someone is to enjoy annoying as many people as possible.

A DDOS attack costs money. It’s supposed to hurt the organisation, not the people who visit thew website or log into a game. Even if the person/group that owns the botnet executes the attack, it takes resources they cannot otherwise use or sell.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Who the hell...

Just a flesh wound.3589

A DDOS attack costs money. It’s supposed to hurt the organisation, not the people who visit thew website or log into a game. Even if the person/group that owns the botnet executes the attack, it takes resources they cannot otherwise use or sell.

Yes. But the question was, whats the purpose.

Since it costs the attackers money and if they aren’t getting a financial return, such as a payoff by the company to leave them alone then the purpose is to annoy and cause trouble.

ANet may give it to you.

Who the hell...

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Since it costs the attackers money and if they aren’t getting a financial return, such as a payoff by the company to leave them alone then the purpose is to annoy and cause trouble.

It doesn’t cost the attackers money. It costs the victim money.

Who the hell...

Just a flesh wound.3589

Ok. That’s the purpose then. By imposing costs on the victim they cause trouble and annoyance.

Or do you have another explanation as to what the purpose is? What does the attacker get out of it?

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Who the hell...

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Ok. That’s the purpose then. By imposing costs on the victim they cause trouble and annoyance.

Or do you have another explanation as to what the purpose is? What does the attacker get out of it?

In short, who knows?

I would guess that they bear some grudge against ArenaNet or their parent or affiliated companies over some real or imagined hurt (which could literally be anything) that makes them feel justified in harming them financially and inconveniencing their customers.

It could simply be people revelling in a kind of power fantasy some kind of “haha, look at the harm I can do with these downloaded programs! That’ll teach them to change the cooldown on the Bear pet’s Bottom Burp ability from 8 to 9 seconds when it’s clearly going to destroy the entire game!” thing.

Who the hell...

Just a flesh wound.3589

In short, who knows?

I would guess that they bear some grudge against ArenaNet or their parent or affiliated companies over some real or imagined hurt (which could literally be anything) that makes them feel justified in harming them financially and inconveniencing their customers.

It could simply be people revelling in a kind of power fantasy some kind of “haha, look at the harm I can do with these downloaded programs! That’ll teach them to change the cooldown on the Bear pet’s Bottom Burp ability from 8 to 9 seconds when it’s clearly going to destroy the entire game!” thing.

In other words, the purpose is to cause trouble. The reason, the motive why they do so, is unknown.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Who the hell...

Posted by: Brother Dulfite.5793

Brother Dulfite.5793

I found GFXSETTINGS.GW2.EXE (and the 64 version), but didn’t find just the gw2.exe file. Help? I tried pasting afte rthe GFX one and it didn’t help.

Who the hell...

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

In short, who knows?

First thing to note is that (unless there’s an anet specific DDoS I’m not aware of) this DDoS isn’t being directed at Arenanet, it’s aimed at the service provider Level3, which means it’s impacting a lot more than just us, we’re most likely small fry caught in the crossfire.

It’s hard to tell the motives behind stuff like this when whoever is responsible doesn’t make demands.
Could be someone(s) upset about the FCC trying to sell out net neutrality.
Could be people on the other side trying to make giving them more control over the net look like a good option.
Or could just as easily be someone on a power trip, although since time/processing power = money it costs both the attacker and the victim so one would think it wouldn’t be wasted on just ego stroking.

It can be more than an annoyance though, companies have been put out of business this way.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Who the hell...

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Would DDoS ANet? >:( That’s like DDoSing Valve. Or at least DDoSing Valve back when they were cool.

Trolls (i.e. people who have literally nothing better to do than try to make others’ lives difficult).

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Who the hell...

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

Valve back when they were cool.

OT
Those were the days

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens