Why I'm sticking it out with gw2...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: deapee.7516

deapee.7516

Yeah, there’s a lot to complain about. In fact, I could probably fill a couple pages myself and have certainly reached a fairly high frustration level at times due to bugs or exploiters or cheating or griefing or what I view as things being imbalanced.

That said, it’s a great game with a great community, and (I think) devs that actually care about us (the players). I feel like things will be ironed out in the long run and it’s worth waiting for.

No, I’m not a suck up, and I could care less if any dev ever reads this, for the record. But it should be said to the community that the game itself is great, gorgeous, well-thought-out, and for the most part balanced and fun.

The thing with forums is this — they ALWAYS attract unhappy customers and trolls. People are something like ten times more likely to complain about something when they’re unhappy than to say something nice about it when they are happy.

Keep that in mind, because the community here really is great, the game is great and can only get better.

Posted by: Salt.4621

Salt.4621

I’m sure ArenaNet are taking a lot of constructive criticism on board. It is incredibly early days and MMOs change dramatically over time. You need a good solid polished base to work with and this game has it in spades. There are many well designed concepts in GW2 and many that need some more thought. I am more than happy to give it time and watch it unfold.

“Your face is funny. All squished and weird.”

Posted by: Death Aggro.9602

Death Aggro.9602

Honestly i love the game. But what anet did was spent the budget on art and graphics and forgot to put anything meaningful into the beautiful world. Bad loot system. You already know. I think a lot of things will be fixed. But i think a lot will not be. Loot being 1.
I just shelved the game till i see them fix everything. Notice how EVERYONE (even haters) say how pretty the game is. And it is! But the content and design is seriously flawed. You’ll get it anet. Just listen to the ppl paying you. B/c only a small fanboy base is calling this game a success.

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

Remove 1hit mechanics and I’ll consider this game a gem.

I’m talking both pve and pvp. I’m looking at you, backstab thieves critting for near 20k (me included) and stupid bosses that are all like loludeadbromeleesuckswhynoinfinitedodge???

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: Ubung.7423

Ubung.7423

I think the game is genius in so many ways. Its missing a few things for me but overall its a great base to build from.

Posted by: Borked.6824

Borked.6824

All great MMOs take time. We all know a good MMO that came about 8 years ago. It was the most buggy, incomplete, unbalanced garbage for a VERY long time, but the amount of complaints it received were leaps and bounds less than what we’re seeing…and this game is extremely well done and meets all the standards of a 2012+ MMO. Sadly, the hurdle is having to deal with the armchair generals that think they know how it all works, and that with enough disdainful comments, they can essentially drag the game around by the balls.

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

Death Aggro

B/c only a small fanboy base is calling this game a success.

And the 2 million copies sold. And nearly every reviewer, professional or not. But what do they know; anyone that doesn’t want this game to be a carbon-copy of that other game is clearly a fanboy and doesn’t understand that it’s carbon-copies of that other game, like SWTOR, that go on to be succe- oh wait.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

I’m talking both pve and pvp. I’m looking at you, backstab thieves critting for near 20k (me included) and stupid bosses that are all like loludeadbromeleesuckswhynoinfinitedodge???

This.

I adapted to every change GW2 did to the gaming field, but being 1shotted is poor design period.
Penalizing exploring through very high WP fees isn’t good design either.

Everything else is a masterpiece.

Posted by: Mastermind.3169

Mastermind.3169

DusK.3849, everything you just said there would make SWTOR a success too.. It just isnt in reality. GW2 is like a carbon-copy of Rift, but with less choices and no endgame. The thing that makes GW2 special is its combatsystem, a direct copy of one of the later versions of Super Mario Bros, Lego Star Wars or Zelda. Which is cool, for a while..

Posted by: Ironangel.1548

Ironangel.1548

d3 sold 8 mil copies and its horrible, don’t say cuz it sold 2 million it isn’t bad.

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

Ive never minded 1 hit mechanics. As long as there is a clear indication that a player can learn that they are coming. Some of the most fun in an mmo can come from wipes and trying to learn stuff. At least to me anyway.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Yeah I still find one shot mechanics/abilities that have absolutely 0 warning or you just die instantly and have no idea why so when you get back up, you immediately die again because you have know what what’s going on lol.

Posted by: Adzy.8370

Adzy.8370

Honestly i love the game. But what anet did was spent the budget on art and graphics and forgot to put anything meaningful into the beautiful world. Bad loot system. You already know. I think a lot of things will be fixed. But i think a lot will not be. Loot being 1.
I just shelved the game till i see them fix everything. Notice how EVERYONE (even haters) say how pretty the game is. And it is! But the content and design is seriously flawed. You’ll get it anet. Just listen to the ppl paying you. B/c only a small fanboy base is calling this game a success.

agree 100%. your posts are my thoughts in words.

Posted by: tsmith.7915

tsmith.7915

I’m sticking with the game because for me there isnt anything wrong at all. I play the game to take a break and have a little fun! Not that I dont get serious sometime, but it’s called a game for a reason =p

people just need to remember that the game just came out “recently”…so any ideas us players may have might be implemented down the road we just have to wait and see!

[AMD FX6300 @3.5Ghz][ASRocks 970D Mobo][8GB DDR3 G. Skill Sniper]
[XFX R9 270X O.C Edition][Thermaltake 600W PSU]
[Windows 8.1 64-Bit]

Posted by: Thorn.7963

Thorn.7963

There are rough spots certainly but 3 weeks do not make for an entire MMO.

And no monthly fee means i’m in no rush.

Posted by: Reaper.8431

Reaper.8431

i like telling people the game sucks….because i want it all to MYSELF!
and now i can spend my 15$ a month on more important things, like more beer.

Ironangel.1548

wouldn’t you rather pay a sub for a game that was fun at max lvl? rather than no sub, grind gold that has no meaning, etc etc? all my friends already shelved it in 3 weeks.

Posted by: metaverse.6821

metaverse.6821

DusK.3849, everything you just said there would make SWTOR a success too.. It just isnt in reality. GW2 is like a carbon-copy of Rift, but with less choices and no endgame. The thing that makes GW2 special is its combatsystem, a direct copy of one of the later versions of Super Mario Bros, Lego Star Wars or Zelda. Which is cool, for a while..

Look at the user reviews of SWTOR vs the ones for GW2 and you’ll see the difference there.

Posted by: Dead.7385

Dead.7385

I still need a crap load more Karma for my Melandru set. So not much reason to quit yet.

DusK.3849

Look at the user reviews of SWTOR vs the ones for GW2 and you’ll see the difference there.

Don’t do that. He wants to stay in this bizzaro fantasy-land where most GW2 players actually hate the game.

I also LOL’d quite a bit at the “Super Mario Bros, Lego Star Wars, or Zelda” bit.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: Kravick.4906

Kravick.4906

Yeah, despite this games flaws, I’m still sticking with it. Even after leveling my chosen class to 76 and finding out it is barely working (looking at you necromancer) I still can’t help but love the game. I’m still in love with the necromancers mechanics, but to many abilities are outta whack for me to continue with it. Someday after they finally fix the broken I’ll go back to my first love, but for now its all about my warrior.

Stuff goes here.

(edited by Kravick.4906)

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

I love guildwars2 but only for the pvp, Im not such a fanboy I’d defend a clearly broken pve mechanic of punishing people for being effective, finding their own strategies.

Ill say it for what it is, it’s got a great PVP platform but as far as PVE goes… A lot of things coulda been done differently.

And if anyone says differently about the pvp I will present them with my opinion on the pvp which are mostly positive.

If you feel like 60 – 70 dollars is fair for a pvp game… Get the game
if you like a good story, buy Ghosts of Ascalon or read the plot for gw2 online.

And Story plots… there are many different branches yes, but they all lead to one point. They don’t change the course of the world you’re in in a drastic manner, sure someone might dissapear, a building might not be there, you’d take a different attack on a problem but your mentor or whatever will do the other one but it all leads to one point, you reuniting destiny’s edge and beating Zhaitan.

It’s a nice change from a linear storyline, but when you take it for what it is, its just one storyline with variations which leads to one final conclusion

(edited by Rizzy.8293)

Posted by: HeeHee.5208

HeeHee.5208

Compared to other MMO forums like SWTOR, Aion, TERA and WoW, I’m noticing a lot of positivity, which is REALLY REALLY REALLY unusual.

Having said that, some people may think GW2 forums are negative but they are ignorant of / forget how worse other MMO forums are.

The worse i’ve seen was in SWTOR forums where once there was literally a FULL page of negative threads, there was so much QQ that it was entertaining! :P

Ironangel.1548

same thing on these forums, almost a full page of negativity on a daily basis.

Posted by: Attila.6348

Attila.6348

wouldn’t you rather pay a sub for a game that was fun at max lvl? rather than no sub, grind gold that has no meaning, etc etc? all my friends already shelved it in 3 weeks.

OH certainly I would pay….but the problem is; a game like that doesn’t exist. In fact, name me one game out there that’s a sub game, that has large world battles without any apparent balance issues when it comes to classes. Also, make sure that my class is always needed for both pvp and dungeons. Most importantly, make sure it’s FUN. I’m talking mad fun; 100 vs 30 people at the same time, defending a keep that will obviously fall but you still try because it’s your guilds keep….Oh wait. This game that requires $15 a month doesn’t exist. All I see is mmorpgs that are filled with dull and boring battlegrounds where your class weaknesses stand out like the sun on a cloudless day.

Rizzy.8293

OH certainly I would pay….but the problem is; a game like that doesn’t exist. In fact, name me one game out there that’s a sub game, that has large world battles without any apparent balance issues when it comes to classes. Also, make sure that my class is always needed for both pvp and dungeons. Most importantly, make sure it’s FUN. I’m talking mad fun; 100 vs 30 people at the same time, defending a keep that will obviously fall but you still try because it’s your guilds keep….Oh wait. This game that requires $15 a month doesn’t exist. All I see is mmorpgs that are filled with dull and boring battlegrounds where your class weaknesses stand out like the sun on a cloudless day.

Dark age of camelot.

Posted by: Attila.6348

Attila.6348

Dark age of camelot.

I knew you’d say that, and to this I say that it’s outdated as hell now. Not just graphically but skill/action wise too. I doubt I’d go back to any mmorpg that doesn’t have fast action, visual feedback and scale as GW2 does.

Posted by: Ulyssiah.8397

Ulyssiah.8397

Personally i got sick of paying a subscription to a game that makes approx $120,000,000 a month (about $1,440,000,000 a year) based on average of 8,000,000 subs paying $15 a month, that still makes you pay for expansions and gives you very little content in return for your loyalty (read money). For kitten’s sake they still using years old character models with very little customisation and i can speak from personal experience absolutely no fun grinding honor points for pvp gear when you finally get full set after weeks of playing just for a new patch to hit that makes that gear redundant because a new tier is introduced so you start over. like I said not fun at all and main reason I left. Now here i can pvp without the grind for gear where my skills are tested not gear score.

“going from alpha to beta to release an mmo is always in a perpetual gamma test”

Posted by: Rixileon.9018

Rixileon.9018

No. If I wanted to pay a monthly fee for a sense of accomplishment, then I’d go back to doing coke.

For games, once you stop chasing the carrot on a stick and start playing just to play they suddenly become more fun than they previously could.

Rizzy.8293

Dark age of camelot.

I knew you’d say that, and to this I say that it’s outdated as hell now. Not just graphically but skill/action wise too. I doubt I’d go back to any mmorpg that doesn’t have fast action, visual feedback and scale as GW2 does.

If only people could look past that.
or they would make a new Dark age of camelot.

Ironangel.1548

“For games, once you stop chasing the carrot on a stick and start playing just to play they suddenly become more fun than they previously could.”

K, let’s just have no sense of accomplishment, ever again, and slap a fun sticker on it! are you sure you are not a game scientist? you sure know the meaning of fun.

Rixileon.9018

K, let’s just have no sense of accomplishment, ever again, and slap a fun sticker on it! are you sure you are not a game scientist? you sure know the meaning of fun.

I must. I’ve been having fun playing the game. I also think board games are fun, as is riding a bike, taking my girlfriend on dates, watching football with friends, and many things that I don’t get +5 extra strength for.

I play because for me it is fun to go exploring in a fantasy world what with all the random adventures that I get into. The game not having an “!” over npc heads at quest hubs makes it a little more immersive for me, and not having to worry about gear gives me a sense of adventuring just for the sake of it.

But I suppose the world has a place for people who strive to make accomplishments fun. Most my friends who have fun by accomplishing things do so at work, and the more money they make the more fun they have. Perhaps you should try that? Better than “accomplishing” something in a virtual world which equates to jack kitten.

Rizzy.8293

I must. I’ve been having fun playing the game. I also think board games are fun, as is riding a bike, taking my girlfriend on dates, watching football with friends, and many things that I don’t get +5 extra strength for.

I play because for me it is fun to go exploring in a fantasy world what with all the random adventures that I get into. The game not having an “!” over npc heads at quest hubs makes it a little more immersive for me, and not having to worry about gear gives me a sense of adventuring just for the sake of it.

But I suppose the world has a place for people who strive to make accomplishments fun. Most my friends who have fun by accomplishing things do so at work, and the more money they make the more fun they have. Perhaps you should try that? Better than “accomplishing” something in a virtual world which equates to jack kitten.

OOHH Okay, i get it.
If it’s fun for you, it has to be fun for other people too right?
Because lets face it because you’re the leading authority on the subject matter of fun.

The value of fun is determined by you.
Clearly theres something wrong with the people whose expectations of fun differs from yours, clearly.

Munchkin is more fun at the moment than PVE GW2

Posted by: Duskmelt.9834

Duskmelt.9834

This game is undeniably a success. Guild Wars 2 has over 2 million copies sold it has over a 90% metacritic rating. The game itself is fantastic but some people just focus on the negatives and miss the positives.

Ulyssiah.8397

OOHH Okay, i get it.
Because lets face it because you’re the leading authority on the subject matter of fun.

Clearly theres something wrong with the people whose expectations of fun differs from yours, clearly.

so going on your logic if it isn’t fun for you it shouldn’t be fun for us??
or i think what i am trying to say what is fun for you should be what is fun for us??

“going from alpha to beta to release an mmo is always in a perpetual gamma test”

Ulyssiah.8397

why cant we just do (this is an extreme concept) what we think is fun anyway sheesh one man’s treasure and all that

DusK.3849

OOHH Okay, i get it.

Oh, okay, I get it.
If you think ideas that the game were founded on are bad, even if most players don’t, then clearly they should be changed, right?
Because let’s face it, you’re the leading authority on what makes GW2 what it is.

What this game should be is determined by you.
Clearly there’s something wrong with the people who think that a game should stick to its design philosophies instead of turning a 180 and spitting in the face of the people that actually knew what kind of game they were buying.

Rixileon.9018

OOHH Okay, i get it.

I don’t know, is it? Are there people playing the game right now who are not trolling the forums? I’ll answer that for you. Yes.

You are right though. The value of fun is, in fact, determend by the individual which brings us back to our point on accomplishment. Accomplishing something that holds any form of merrit like a life long goal, such as getting married or being promoted at work, is fun and exciting and meaningful. Accomplishing something in a virtual world which in the end holds zero meaning besides giving a false sense of accomplishment (being that you didn’t in fact accomplish anything at all) a little less so. But, if you think otherwise, I hear World of Warcraft is like crack for people like you

Posted by: Reihert.1509

Reihert.1509

So, let me see if I got people’s complaint right.

They all specc into glass cannon and wonder why they got one shot.
I really wonder how many of them actually works on keeping defensive buffs, rotate blinds (not only dodge), blocks and of course, stacking vit/tough to prevent one shots.

OH the nerve of wondering that.

There’s nothing wrong with the game, it requires some adjustments and EXPANSION to stuff to do at 80. New zones, new dungeons, new events. Just that.

On pvp, on the other hand, it does require some balancing, but that is totally expected to be unbalanced as the game just launched.

Rants I’ve seen usually narrow down to people wanting the same old end game they are used to: they rushed to 80 and now are stuck.
They want to be able to mindlessly farm the same raid over and over for that little piece of gear, that will become available to everyone in 2 months once their current “progression” gets nerfed beyond their dreams.

Others complain that how hard it is to get gear, to get that cultural skin to get this or that. Game is out in one month and they want it all, just to go back to complaints.

GW2 needs only more stuff to do at 80. Maybe more dungeons (dirty hard dungeons that will require you spec out of glass cannon and requires group coordination). The reward for that?

Just a very unique skin seems good enough for me. Status are good and what not, but the FUN of actually overcomming a challenge is by far better. However, I’d indeed increase the money reward from bosses to at least compansate for repairs.

Well, that’s just my opinion, but I’d hate to see GW2 become a remake of WoW. Please, go back to WoW.

Posted by: LastDay.3524

LastDay.3524

“If you like MMOs you should check out Guild Wars 2, and if you hate MMOs you REALLY should check out Guild Wars 2!”
Anybody remember that?

I find most MMOs incredibly boring after a week.
They just feel so much like work. They do give this lazy zen feeling but it gets old fast.

Maybe I like Guild Wars 2 precisely for the reason you don’t.
I enjoy that I’m not told to do something and instead I can just play it much like any non-MMO.
I just enjoy lazily wandering around in PvE and sometimes doing a whole lot of WvW.
Chatting with people and doing whatever I feel like doing.

GW2 does have many systems that need tweaks/fixes but I trust they’ll be sorted out eventually.

Benight[Edge]

Rixileon.9018

“If you like MMOs you should check out Guild Wars 2, and if you hate MMOs you REALLY should check out Guild Wars 2!”
Anybody remember that?

I find most MMOs incredibly boring after a week.
They just feel so much like work. They do give this lazy zen feeling but it gets old fast.

Maybe I like Guild Wars 2 precisely for the reason you don’t.
I enjoy that I’m not told to do something and instead I can just play it much like any non-MMO.
I just enjoy lazily wandering around in PvE and sometimes doing a whole lot of WvW.
Chatting with people and doing whatever I feel like doing.

GW2 does have many systems that need tweaks/fixes but I trust they’ll be sorted out eventually.

Exactly.

Earlier today, I was wandering around the 25-35 Norn area. I found my way up on to a vista on this huge friggin mountain. While I was looking around admiring how my sylvari looked perched up there all proudly, I spotted this human fighting like 5 mobs near the base of the mountain, and he was quickly being over run. Being a mesmer, I jolted down to him and blinked to him right as he was downed and made all these illusions while systematically taking out each mob one by one. Didn’t take any damage, and saved him. He gave me his thanks, and we then both decided to explore this cave since it had a point of interest. It took us a bit but we got to the end and there was this MASSIVE Ice Wurm champion that we somehow didn’t see till it was too late. We died, but it was absolutly epic.

Adventuring just to adventure. It makes things so much more enjoyable imo.

(edited by Rixileon.9018)

Posted by: Imperial Thor.5487

Imperial Thor.5487

Personally, I enjoy this game it’s a nice pace and break from gearcheck games, Which I think is what most people are use too. When people are taken out of their element they’ll hate it.

I don’t really have any complaints but a few bugs that prevented the story from progressing, Which were fixed. They’re working hard to fix their errors which should be good enough, I don’t wish to sound cliche but I do believe that a lot of gamers over the years have gotten spoiled to easily achieved things which has been noticeable.

None the less, It’s only my opinion, Agree or disagree I think they have made a fantastic game in my eyes.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

I must. I’ve been having fun playing the game.

I don’t think you’re allowed to use that an as argument considering there is plenty of progression while leveling up. It would be alot different if there was 0 sense of accomplishment while leveling up compared to how it is now.

Sure it would still be cute finding a few secrets/easter eggs and lore bits, but it would get boring much sooner, fighting stuff with the same few attacks doing the same dmg and effects, gaining no xp from killing things, or discovering things, no loot from mobs, no levels, no upgrading skills or traits, no “2 more levels til X trait/skill yay!!”, no crafting etc.

Posted by: Arsenal.2601

Arsenal.2601

Death Aggro

B/c only a small fanboy base is calling this game a success.

And the 2 million copies sold. And nearly every reviewer, professional or not. But what do they know; anyone that doesn’t want this game to be a carbon-copy of that other game is clearly a fanboy and doesn’t understand that it’s carbon-copies of that other game, like SWTOR, that go on to be succe- oh wait.

Interestingly, it is not only the early reviews which are good, but the “ongoing reviews” where the reviewers aren’t just giving quick impressions to make a deadline, but have played the game heavily since launch. People who play every game for a living, think and breathe video games all day every day, are very impressed with this game. In the end, reviews are just opinion, but overwhelming good reviews, or bad, are decent indicators.

So … using the tangible measures we can lay our hands on, this game is a success. The only real open question is “is it a lasting success?” Only time will tell us that.

And, I actually find it helpful when a poster denies this game’s success or throws about terms like “fanboy”. It lets me know they are blindly lashing out, and I can ignore them and move on to read a post from someone who has real, intelligent, considered criticism.

“I’m always achieving greatness!”