Why Isn't NPC & Player Culling Separate?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MrDmajor.7084

MrDmajor.7084

Forgive me if I’m mistaken. When I try to adjust the culling so I can run GW2 smoothly during public events, why do I have to make a decision between low frame rates and seeing NPCs and Enemy NPCs? Why are these 2 things not separate?

I honestly only care about seeing my friends, people in my party, and my guild mates (if I had any). Every other human player is expendable.

What I DON’T need is to take damage or be killed by something I can’t see until it’s too late. I need to see NPCs.

Thank you for bringing life to areas that used to be quiet and lacking, but now you’ve reopened an issue that should be priority in the next “feature” update.

Between enemy npcs not appearing and the inexcusable amount of particle effects how is anyone supposed to take “events” serious in GW2?

Does ArenaNet eve acknowledge these things as an issue? Sheesh.

ArenaNet does NOT play Guild Wars 2. This can’t be.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I agree very much. I’ve been thinking this ever since the culling algorithm was improved: it’s nice to see other players, but I still don’t see what’kittenting me!

Also kind of difficult to target invisible bosses.

Enemies should be loaded first :\

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

How do you decide what is and is not an enemy? The algorithm would almost have to be different for each computer then. They are all models and models get loaded.

let them optimize the game engine more first before you ask for such a complicated change.

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Of course the game knows the difference between a player character, a mob and an NPC. It knows it well enough to use different colored fonts (lol?)

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

Of course the game knows the difference between a player character, a mob and an NPC. It knows it well enough to use different colored fonts (lol?)

That is done after the figures are drawn, not before or during. If you understood modeling, you would understand that.

Pixelpumpkin.4608

That is done after the figures are drawn, not before or during. If you understood modeling, you would understand that.

I guess that’s why before the figures are drawn, the bosses don’t attack me, because they don’t know yet that they’re hostile? … oh wait

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

heheheh if the game doesn’t know whether it is about to draw a mob, an NPC, or a PC, we got much bigger problems than the annoyance that is culling

Posted by: MrDmajor.7084

MrDmajor.7084

Shouldn’t NPCs and enemy mobs be prioritized? I don’t care about seeing zergs. I need to see enemies and friendly NPCs. WTH

ArenaNet does NOT play Guild Wars 2. This can’t be.

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

Cursed Shore last night – Plinxx – last 2 Risen trash spawns were so culled you saw them fade in ONLY to immediately fade out from AOE spam.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Karka Queen. I should know better than to melee anything in GW2 (they really don’t like that, doncha know), but it’s 100x worse when you can’t even see the boss past all the players/shinykitten-effects.

And then, my game stalled!

Luckily, megaserver put me in with my friend so I could get my loot. (…still worth it, just aggravating.)

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

I don’t have an issue with the models, NPC or otherwise. I would just like to be able to down/off particle effects. With large groups of people doing the bosses, it gets to be so much I can’t even see anything. Granted I don’t have the best computer, but the partical effects are just annoying, even IF I did have the best hardware available.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

They should give different options for different types of player also. I’m in a small guild and it would be no problem for my PC to load the charactermodels of my guildmates already when I’m joining a map my mates are currently on. Same goes for commander squads and groups.