Why Represent another Guild Causes Rage?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

Heya.

I’m wondering since we can have several guilds, but really we can’t. Because all guilds don’t want us to stop representing them.

Why soo many rage? Why isn’t the multi-guild system working in a better way?

I have 2 guilds I’d like to play with, but they demand me to represent all the time. I just try to be Offline to avoid be warned about not representing and still be in the two of them.

The guilds aren’t really of the samething, one is PVE, other is WvW, and I hate when I’m events with PVE Guild getting rage from officers of the WvW one saying to represent it. Argh.

Update: I just left both of them right now, now i’m without guild, and wont be able to enter a new guild of my language because can’t find any without that rule… But that’s Ok.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

(edited by Max Lexandre.6279)

Posted by: Ahmrill.7512

Ahmrill.7512

Leave them both.

Problem solved and the consulting bill is in the mail.

Ahmrill
Proud member of [NORD] Nordvegr Guild
Jade Quarry

Posted by: laharl.8435

laharl.8435

Sounds like you’re in some crappy guilds. I get that each guild wants your points but making demands like that is overboard. As long as you’re representing sometimes, getting them points and not just taking advantage of the benefits I really don’t see a problem with alternating guilds.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

There is a player cap for guild. So if you are not representing, it could be used by another who is representing so there is more active guildchat and influence gain.

If you play like 10 hours a day and represent them for 5 hours each, I’m sure they dont’ mind. Else that spot is better given to someone else.

Posted by: Jue.6493

Jue.6493

It boils down to the type of guild really. From a leadership position I do my best to keep an active guild chat and activities going on throughout the day in the guild. Let’s say 75% of the roster is not representing then It’s harder for members who want to do WvW for example, to get a group.

I don’t see why it would cause rage, most guilds who ask for players to represent normally tell them upfront before recruiting them and if they don’t then they are bad guilds. It’s also not something that is “overboard” either, If you don’t like it then don’t join but just because some guilds like to keep an active roster of players then don’t be so naive to say they are crappy guilds.

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

Honestly, I think you should leave both guilds and research about the representation policies of future guilds before joining them. Maybe one guild wants you to always represent them when doing WvW content, while another guild wants you to always represent them when doing Dungeon content. Each guild is different when it comes to representation rules and should be questioned about it when joining a new guild.

For example, I’m a member of 5 guilds, but only one requires me to represent them as a “Primary” guild. The other 4 don’t mind if I represent other guilds. In most cases, the secondary guilds could be served more or less like an “Extended Friends List” for selected content. Many LFG-centric guilds are like this in which you have a list of like-minded people who want to run content and turn on their LFG flag as such while being able to represent their primary guild.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

From the guild’s point of view: If you are representing them, they get influence to spend on making members more productive in the form of all the banners, and upgrades. If you are representing them, they have the option to call on you in guild chat to see if you want to join them just by using the guild’s chat. If you are representing them you are an actual part of the guild instead of a lump on a list.

From the player prospective: Sometimes you just don’t want to do stuff with a guild. Sadly, this game doesn’t allow you to just log into an alt because all of your characters are guilded and the guild can see that you are playing an alt. Additionally, sometimes you want to do wvwvw, and sometimes PvE. Having guilds that are dedicated to one instead of both means that it can field more people of the playstyle. When you want to wvwvw you rep the wvwvw guild and off you go with 40 people. When you want to hit a dungeon you rep the PvE guild and ask for 5 to join ya and off you go.

There’s pros and cons to the multi-guild system. If there was some way to allow all guilds that you are a part of to gain influence, repping or not, I think that would go a long way to alleviate this issue. But of course that means that it’s ripe for abuse by people just filling the guild with random members that never rep and getting influence anyway…

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Bad guilds, leave them both.
A good guild can’t realistically “focus” on everything (those that say so are the worst guilds in the game imo) so you need multiple guilds that each focus on one aspect.
Never let a guild tell you how to play your game.

Posted by: Sirge.8934

Sirge.8934

When people log in, they represent the guild with the most people online. If members of your guild are representing other guilds, then when a player signs in, he won’t represent your guild, as no one else in “online”.

This isn’t a problem in large guilds. As long as you have a couple of people representing, guild chat is active, and the guild is “lively” on a day to day basis. In smaller guilds, however, its very easy to have ghost guilds, where nearly half the guild will be online, but each person is representing a different guild.

Of course, it could also be that no one represents because that guild sucks. But generally, guilds which require representation do so because they believe that multi-guild individuals will not participate in guild chat/events/other member stuff.

Posted by: salocinn.4120

salocinn.4120

well, you can see it this way… irl you can go out with 2 girl at the same time without any of them knowing that there is another girl. When you open guild tab and see “not representing” it’s like one of the two girl receive a text message saying that you are at the other girl’s home which is problematic. So either you make it clear to both girl that you have too much love to give for only one or you pick the one you prefer.

Aurell Hawk_80 Ranger
Kaze pewpew_80 Elementalist
Fergusons Crossing (Yarr)

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I know if people don’t rep in our guild i’d kick them, they are giving zero to the guild then they deserve zero back…

Posted by: Sil.4560

Sil.4560

This sort of subject always seems to bring out that primitive and creepy side of people who refer to everything as being “for the guild” as if it were anything other than just another social group within a video game.

I’d laugh in the face of any guild that proposed any sort of obligation that I represent them 100% of the time. They don’t own you.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

No they don’t own you, but you are non representing, you are not helping in any way shape or form, you are just taking a spot a meaningful player could use, you aren’t even bringing any conversation to the group so, its no loss if you moved on..

Posted by: Pustulio.8207

Pustulio.8207

The guild I’m in doesn’t demand that you rep. all the time, but, it does come with a small price. If you hop between guilds, then they just put your rank to “Part-Time Member”.

Posted by: Sil.4560

Sil.4560

No they don’t own you, but you are non representing, you are not helping in any way shape or form, you are just taking a spot a meaningful player could use, you aren’t even bringing any conversation to the group so, its no loss if you moved on..

This way of thinking supposes too much and seems to be looking for excuses to alienate people for the sake of the same sort of bizarre cult mentality which had come to mind earlier.

If I choose not to represent 10% of the time, it’s no loss if I move on? Guess whatever I do while repping the other 90% of the time amounts to squat then. I should think that in the vast majority of situations this wouldn’t matter anyway because most of the more tolerable guilds I’ve seen aren’t at their member cap.

Posted by: Rikimeru Tokesbudz.3816

Rikimeru Tokesbudz.3816

lol instead of complaining because a guild wont change the rules to suit what you want why dont you join a guild that has rules you like.

Posted by: lunarminx.3624

lunarminx.3624

This was the dumbest idea I ever saw for a guild anyways. One guild period, another lame idea.

Posted by: edjahman.9104

edjahman.9104

I like to represent myself and not participate in mob mentality.

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

There are plenty of guilds that do not require 100% representation. These guilds are aware that they cannot cater to every need of their members and allow them to rep other guild as long as you represent them some times.

Posted by: gillius.2856

gillius.2856

I just tell em straight that i like to rep another guild sometimes.. i have my own guild for bank space, a main big guild (who never asks to rep) but others have constantly bugged me more than once a day to rep… even when it was a shamless random invite..

yea this is annoying so i just leave the ones who constantly bug me… well screw them imo.

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

The representation system should definitely be reworked. The whole thing is kind of borked.

Posted by: Sokar Rostau.7316

Sokar Rostau.7316

The guild system is definitely in need of an overhaul. Right now, it favours big guilds that have been in-game for a long time, in fact it has been this way since Headstart. The main problem is influence and guild upgrades.

For a large guild to get enough influence for the highest upgrades, all that needs to happen is each member logs on and represents for a few minutes every day. That’s it. For a member capped guild, this is as much as 5000 influence every single day for doing absolutely nothing. Getting the most expensive upgrades is trivial, and they are limited only by the time it takes to research, maintaining buffs is… well I can’t think of a word for something that is less than trivial. The irony of big guilds demanding permanent representation is that they have nothing to spend that influence on.

On the other side of the coin are the small guilds. It is physically impossible for small guilds to get even close to the influence gain of the large ones. Depending on just how small, getting tier 3 upgrades (5000 influence) can take weeks, and the higher grades can take months of every player representing all day every day. Small guilds have a very good reason to demand representation because they need every scrap of influence they can get. That doesn’t make it “right”, it’s just a reality of the system we have.

And then there’s the upgrades themselves. Players want the banners and the buffs. Back when the game released, large guilds that had formed in Headstart already had most of the buffs by the end of the first week of general release. The effect of this was that players would represent the guild with the buffs rather than the guild that needed to gain influence to research those upgrades. I imagine that this is considerably amplified now and that forming a new guild and getting members to represent is extremely difficult.

I think that part of the solution would be graded influence based on representation and guild size.

1. Representing rewards 100% of influence gained. Non-representing members still earn influence for the guild, but only at 50-75%.

2. Guilds with less than 50 members get a 100% bonus to login influence (ie, the bonus you get for logging in and representing). Guilds with 51-100 members get a 75% bonus to login influence. Guilds with 101-150 members get a 50% bonus. Guilds with 151-200 get 25% bonus. 201-300 members get no bonus. 301-350 get -25% reduced login influence. 351-400 get -50% reduced. 401-450 get 75% reduced. Guilds with more than 451 members get no login influence at all.

3. Similarly, small guilds get a bonus to all influence gained, say 10% more if there’s less than 250 members, 25% more for less than 50. While large guilds get a corresponding penalty.

At first glance this may seem like penalising guilds for being too big, but the reality is that the large guilds would not notice it at all. At the same time, new guilds wouldn’t be stillborn and small guilds would be able to get upgrades at some kind of reasonable pace.

Dragonbrand – Reforged Vanguard [ReVa]
Kyxha 80 Ranger, Sokar 80 Necro
Niobe 80 Guardian, Symbaoe 45 Ele

(edited by Sokar Rostau.7316)

Posted by: Unspecified.9142

Unspecified.9142

I think that part of the solution would be graded influence based on representation and guild size.

Attendance

The game checks once every 24 hours for members who have logged on and represented the guild during the previous 24 hours. [verification requested]

10 Influence per member for the first 20 members.
5 Influence per member from 20 to 50 members.
1 Influence per each additional member.

Source: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Influence

Overall I agree with your sentiments though.

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

It’s very simple. Guilds want active players. If you’re not repping it’s very hard to believe you actually give a stuff about being in the guild if you can’t even see the guild chat because of it.

The multi-guild system is stupid. There was nothing wrong with 1 toon; 1 guild.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Wow so much silly attitude just because your pixels dont wanna show those few little letters next to your toon name.

Honestly, is it really worth all the childish prittel prattle just cos you are’nt repping for a certain guild, its not like their are any real tangeable benefits for guilds in GW2. Sure a few Guild points each time you log in, but they dont exactly do much for any guild.
The only thing even remotely worthwhile is the extra storage space and what’s the likelyhood of it being useable by many players in guild, cos if the guild leaders are smart they lock it down by ranks.

To be honest the vast majority of content in GW2 is solo play with occasional external assistance in PvE. Sure WvW has a few groups running round but they mostly just pick up stragglers who want to tag along in the zerg to get map completion or loot.
Only time Guild teams are useful in GW2 is for Dungeon runing.. and as its maxed at 5 per team.. most guilds never really get to do much on a guild scale.

So is the “you must rep my guild” blah blah blah really worth throwing your toys out of the pram for in GW2…

(edited by Bloodstealer.5978)

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

Wow so much silly attitude just because your pixels dont wanna show those few little letters next to your toon name.

Honestly, is it really worth all the childish prittel prattle just cos you are’nt repping for a certain guild, its not like their are any real tangeable benefits for guilds in GW2. Sure a few Guild points each time you log in, but they dont exactly do much for any guild.
The only thing even remotely worthwhile is the extra storage space and what’s the likelyhood of it being useable by many players in guild, cos if the guild leaders are smart they lock it down by ranks.

To be honest the vast majority of content in GW2 is solo play with occasional external assistance in PvE. Sure WvW has a few groups running round but they mostly just pick up stragglers who want to tag along in the zerg to get map completion or loot.
Only time Guild teams are useful in GW2 is for Dungeon runing.. and as its maxed at 5 per team.. most guilds never really get to do much on a guild scale.

So is the “you must rep my guild” blah blah blah really worth throwing your toys out of the pram for in GW2…

See this is exactly the kind of person most guilds don’t want. It’s as if he doesn’t even know that there are reasons worth repping. There are big boosts available, especially for WvW that make influence important. You don’t get the big influence just by logging in like this person believes, but by being active running the dungeons and grouping for events.

Most people not repping a decent guild aren’t serious about it. It makes sense to get rid of them.

Posted by: jwburks.9735

jwburks.9735

Me and my friends have our own personal guild for bank space. I mean, I’m the only member of my own guild and I worked on it since launch to cultivate enough points to buy a bank. That took a long, long time on my own, lemme tell ya. So . . . if some puffed up guild leader takes offense when I switch to my guild to access my guild bank, oh well.

We heard . . . we listened . . . we ignored.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

If a guild tells you you “must” do something, and that bothers you, find another guild. Seriously. There are many, many friendly people and guilds out there…

No guild is worth taking rage or abuse.

Posted by: Smoothy.1085

Smoothy.1085

Well, ur probably in the wrong guilds then. you must have joined the more “hardcore” guilds. for the big/organized WvW guilds it is really important to have everyone representing for guild chat and such things, im sure there are also smaller guilds that dont require representing all the time. but u must understand, running a big and organized guild can not be done without the representing requirement :/

Posted by: Omne.4603

Omne.4603

In my guild we do not allow multi representation at all. We have 200 actives and the people in the guild enjoy it. Not all guilds appeal to all players.

I Cant Stop/ Ocularis
NSP | Os Guild Master
www.osguild.org | www.youtube.com/osthink

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I wouldnt join a guild which allows representing several guilds. I am general in a guild with 200+ members and they all have to represent at least 90% of their playtime, otherwise they get demoted and eventually kicked.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Silvery Shadow.5036

Silvery Shadow.5036

Frankly, if a guild don’t accept the rules of the game, multi guild possible, then leave it. But even though, Rage, as OP putted it, is not acceptable…never…you should leave them right away just for that.

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

The way I see it…

…it’s a game, not a job.

My smallish guild is mostly made up of friends from other games…Diablo, LOTRO, and the original GW game. We’ve all known each other for years; if they want to go run with another guild because that much larger guild is doing dungeons and requires members to represent at least part of the time, I’m okay with that. As guild leader I think it would be mighty bad form for me not to represent at all times. It’s simply not worth getting one’s bloomers in a bunch over.

That said, I would like to see an alliance system implemented similar to the one we had in GW1. I think that would help everyone with regards to getting a lot of endgame stuff done.

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

Posted by: Sovta.4719

Sovta.4719

They should just give you option to see other guild chat.

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

So for people with guilds that don’t allow split representation, does that include personal guilds for guild bank storage? Are people bounced because they level their guild bank or stop representing to access an existing personal guild bank?

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

The multi-guild system is something that sounded good on paper or in the head of a designer who hasn’t played an MMO….ever….

…but goes entirely against the social constructs of an MMO community.

Not representing a guild is like putting it on hold. And nobody likes being put on hold. It’s like having a relationship with more than one partner. Good for you, but your partners are going to hate you.

Max Lexandre.6279

This is madness, I was in about 5 Portuguese Guilds since game started and they ALL demanded us to represent 100% of the time!

I don’t know what you guys are talking about just Guilds of my country there is none that doesn’t force us to represent all the time.

And The Big Issue is that If I want to go to guilds that doesn’t force me to represent, I can’t stay in my own Language guilds, that got that rule….

For example, I can’t WvW with my WvW guild because the main one doesn’t let me to stop rep, and they itself doesn’t do WvW, then i’m… lost.

Asura thing.

(edited by Max Lexandre.6279)

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

They both have a point and you can blame anet for allowing people to keep hopping guilds and be in 5 at a time.It removes the aspect of a guild community feeling,since people, when its not busy in guild 1,rep to guild 2 and stick there.If youre trying to build up a tight guild,this Will be a big problem.People asking you to rep,just want to have a big and active guild,and people constantly switching around for we reason are not helping.Anet needs to remove this and just allow people to be in one guild at a time.

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

Sorry but it’s not the guilds at fault here. If you join a guild than you have to abide by their rules. If you can’t than leave. Blaming guilds that they want you to represent them is nothing but being selfish as a player.

If you goal is to just have people around without building a community than by all means go around and hop all over the place, else abide by the rules set forth by the guild.

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I have no problem with my members repping for multiple guilds – in fact, I encourage it. It builds stronger ties across the server. When I see members dual repping, the first thing I do is try to make friends with the guild leaders of the other guilds they are in.

The way I see it, it is the guild’s job to keep members interested, through helping each other out and large group activities – not the player’s job to grind out influence for the guild.

If a guild cannot do that for all members 100% of the time (which none can), then the best option is allowing players to rep multiple guilds. Its a great system as long as guild leaders are willing to work with it – rather than trying to block it.

To those saying “rep or we will kick you,” I would say, if you really want them repping that often, then give them a real reason (other than punitive) to rep all the time.

(edited by Blaeys.3102)

Posted by: Power.2957

Power.2957

I have the same problem as the OP except I’m in 5 guilds, however this is less of ArenaNet’s fault and more of the super-controlling guild leaders :P

“Power is like the illuminati of Guild Wars.” -Loshon

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

The only reason they want you to respresent is to use you. If you represent, they get “fame” since more people will notice the guild, aswell as they gain influence. But they couldnt care less about you, they just want you to make influence. Leave the guild

Max Lexandre.6279

I just left thoose guilds. It’s sad because they were of my language but Now I need to find some new International guilds without that issues that block us to play only with them.

Asura thing.

Posted by: koroshi.2658

koroshi.2658

If they haven’t stated it from the start ask about it, don’t like it leave. Some guilds like to build a tight community.

It is as easy as that.

Guild leader of ZOMB.

Posted by: Lysico.4906

Lysico.4906

I am in a two person father/daughter guild and we are doing fine with influence.

If we do our dailies together (which we do) we bring in bunch hf influence.

Not saying I never spent 20 silver here or there to get some, but it works fine.

We have all the buffs we need for us (did not spend on the wpvp stuff atm).

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Noone asks people to represent for the influence. Its because there is no guild feeling if you represent another guild all the time.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: JungleNin.8379

JungleNin.8379

There is a player cap for guild. So if you are not representing, it could be used by another who is representing so there is more active guildchat and influence gain.

If you play like 10 hours a day and represent them for 5 hours each, I’m sure they dont’ mind. Else that spot is better given to someone else.

No there isn’t? I’m in a Guild with over 400 members, and our roster just keeps growing.

Max Lexandre.6279

Noone asks people to represent for the influence. Its because there is no guild feeling if you represent another guild all the time.

Then we should change the way we play and be limited because one X guild we are and like to be there doesn’t make WvW or PVP for example?

Thoose guilds should let us play with another guilds for we don’t have a limited playing. In a guild I was I also gone to WvW alone and tryed to manage myself, because the guild didn’t wanted to do any organized event for that.

No there isn’t? I’m in a Guild with over 400 members, and our roster just keeps growing.

There is, 500. For No idea why it just makes it worse, because guilds near cap very easy kick us if we don’t represent, I have NO IDEA why there is a cap since there are guilds with thousands of members that need to make multiple guilds to handle just 1.

Asura thing.

Posted by: Phoenix.3416

Phoenix.3416

Right ill explain this argument as a Large Guild leader.

I lead the largest guild on Underworld. I have a lot of players fighting for new slots, if someone isn’t repping much or is in 5 different guilds he is taking up a slot of someone who WANTS to rep 100% of the time.

How can a guild make a community if half of its guild wants to play elsewhere? :P You can’t blame guild leaders for wanting people to solo guild with them because they don’t get any benefit from a player who isn’t representing.

If you want to multi guild then that’s not going to be ok with a lot of popular guilds who have queues of players waiting to get in.

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

Heya.

I’m wondering since we can have several guilds, but really we can’t. Because all guilds don’t want us to stop representing them.

Why soo many rage? Why isn’t the multi-guild system working in a better way?

I have 2 guilds I’d like to play with, but they demand me to represent all the time. I just try to be Offline to avoid be warned about not representing and still be in the two of them.

The guilds aren’t really of the samething, one is PVE, other is WvW, and I hate when I’m events with PVE Guild getting rage from officers of the WvW one saying to represent it. Argh.

Update: I just left both of them right now, now i’m without guild, and wont be able to enter a new guild of my language because can’t find any without that rule… But that’s Ok.

Seems like you can speak english pretty well. You can always just join a normal guild. I’m not an american myself (I’m from the Phil) and I’m pretty sure there are a few Filipino guilds there. But just because we speak the same language doesn’t mean I should join them. I’m having more fun with my australian+us+someplace else and canadian-friends guilds. I’d suggest to find a group of cool people who are cool about representing or not. Imo, the quality of people is the thing you should look at first.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.