Why Scarlet again?

Why Scarlet again?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

This might help explain things – copy/pasted from the Lore subforum;

BobbyStein.2315:
Fractal work started back in August, which is when players first encountered Scarlet and around when the votes were tallied.

Hopefully the lesson is there for future releases as we have almost caught up to the point where the Scarlet feedback should be kicking in.

Why Scarlet again?

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Scarlet is a class of villain who once glimpsed perfection and thinks she can achieve it, even if it means undoing the universe destroying everything in the process. She’s basically became a tiny god where we can’t quite defeat her permanently but she enjoys the game too much to put us down permanently either.

So in other words she’s the joker.

Meh I’d put her with Judas Traveller.
“I’m so vast and beyond your mortal thinking.”

Which means to me the writers still don’t know how you fit into Spiderman.
“No…no that’s n-not true! Vast! Powerful…I don’t fit in do I? sigh

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Why Scarlet again?

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

I feel like I’m being trolled. Everything up until the invasions I could deal with. This Scarlett character is destroying my fondness for this universe. A universe that I have been apart of since starting in the Pre-Searing all those years ago.

About 70% of the decisions being made with this game is actually starting to make me dislike it. I don’t know what this is anymore. This game is beginning to feel a lot less like an MMO and more like a train wreck.

Why Scarlet again?

Posted by: Deacon.9725

Deacon.9725

The irony of this thread, is that I find the destruction of the Thaumanova Reactor to be perfectly within Scarlet’s purview.

She was initially revealed to be a super genius who was trained by Asuran colleges and rebelled because they didn’t let her do what she wanted… While I am personally miffed by the idea that salad could be smarter than the Asuran geniuses (my main character is an Asuran engineer), Scarlet is who she is.

If anyone was responsible for the Thaumanova Reactor fallout, Scarlet makes lots of sense. While I would have preferred an Inquest macro villain, Scarlet is who we have and she did have significant contact with the Inquest. The lore of the reactor could easily be seen to be the impetus for all of her work for the past few months with Molten and Toxic and Aetherblade…

Why Scarlet again?

Posted by: Qawsada.4251

Qawsada.4251

This fractal is basically confirmation that Anet does not listen — despite everything they say.

I remember a gazillion “TA UP BUG THREAD” in the dungeon section of the forum. There was always one made per week. Instead of fixing the the spider bug at the, Anet remove it outright. The reason? “We got a report that no one is running TA UP, so we deleted it”. Yeah, no one is running it if its bugged and never fixed for months!

I feel like I’m being trolled. Everything up until the invasions I could deal with. This Scarlett character is destroying my fondness for this universe. A universe that I have been apart of since starting in the Pre-Searing all those years ago.

About 70% of the decisions being made with this game is actually starting to make me dislike it. I don’t know what this is anymore. This game is beginning to feel a lot less like an MMO and more like a train wreck.

Want to feel more disappointed? The person that created Scarlet is now rewriting GW 1 lore to make it “fit” to guild wars 2? How? By retconning lots of stuff. Oh and that person name is Angel McCoy. Have a read.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/lore/Angel-McCoy-Interview

Why Scarlet again?

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

Want to feel more disappointed? The person that created Scarlet is now rewriting GW 1 lore to make it “fit” to guild wars 2? How? By retconning lots of stuff. Oh and that person name is Angel McCoy. Have a read.

Ooooh…..I was never part of GW1, but I can just imagine how painful that must be for those that were…

Why Scarlet again?

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

I personally urge Anet to advise Ms. McCoy to take a couple months off to get some fresh air of ideas in. Right now, the story is suffocating.

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

Why Scarlet again?

Posted by: Hell Avenger.7021

Hell Avenger.7021

Ooooh…..I was never part of GW1, but I can just imagine how painful that must be for those that were…

wtf is the lore turning into? Joker storyline? To be honest Joker isn’t even the most interesting villain out there, only movies made him a “big hit.” One dimensional villain, I can even think up multiple different ones better than Scarlett and I am not even a professional writer.

Why Scarlet again?

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

People seems to ignore the fact that Angel was already at ArenaNet back when Beyond was created, and people always kept saying how awesome the Beyond Chapters were.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Why Scarlet again?

Hell Avenger.7021

People seems to ignore the fact that Angel was already at ArenaNet back when Beyond was created, and people always kept saying how awesome the Beyond Chapters were.

too bad, I left GW1 after EOTN. So I do not say how awesome Beyond is.

Moreover, just because there was one good effort in the past, does not excuse for the garbage we are getting now in the present.

Why Scarlet again?

lordkrall.7241

too bad, I left GW1 after EOTN. So I do not say how awesome Beyond is.

Moreover, just because there was one good effort in the past, does not excuse for the garbage we are getting now in the present.

I know, I am just pointing out that it is silly to whine about all Angel do is destroying the lore, when quite clearly that is completely untrue.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Why Scarlet again?

Qawsada.4251

Playing the game does not count as working. She did not contribute to the Guild Wars Beyond and anytime she did try to “contribute” during the Beyond, it was turn down.

Learn to read:

Prior to my employment, I was a GW player for several years. I did some freelance at that time for ArenaNet to help write a GW atlas that never actually got published, but it meant that I spent a lot of time learning the world. My point is that I love Tyria every bit as much as you do, and I’ve dedicated almost as much time as many of you have to it.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/lore/Angel-McCoy-Interview/page/3#post2821776

Why Scarlet again?

lordkrall.7241

And where in that article does it say anything about when she started working with them for real or whether or not she was involved in Beyond?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Why Scarlet again?

Qawsada.4251

And where in that article does it say anything about when she started working with them for real or whether or not she was involved in Beyond?

Hint: there wasn’t. Angel literally say that playing the game count as her contribute to GW 1. Thats it. Her ideas were rejected at the time but god know what happen a year or so later when someone let her in charge of doing GW 2 Living Story.

Why Scarlet again?

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

I’m getting a very similar feeling. I find the game itself is really fun, but man. I never would have though lore could make me dislike a game world so much.

I used to lover Tyria. I would brag to people how much better the story in GW was than other mmos, and how story centric it was. Now that Scarlet has infected so much of the world I get depressed just looking at certain things. I used to feel nostalgic about certain things, now it’s like the writers are angry that I liked the old lore & are trying to get back at me for it. Like they want to destroy the stuff i liked. The gods are now op wizards, humans made up all of history, the only accurate portrayal of magic is the Eternal Alchemy, Scarlet is behind everything & probably has more insight & sway than the gods, magic wasn’t really from the gods, blahblahblah…. I don’t buy the whole “oh you’re learning more of the truth now!” that’s a cheap way of saying “nothing you ever experience in any story we make can be trusted to be the actual story. Retcon is always an option.”

Sometimes you can slide in this or that to match up lore with old stuff, but this broad-sweeping retcon of everything is ridiculous. And I can’t see any reason they needed to do this. having the dragons be villains didn’t require any of that. & having Scarlet be in the story was just a bad idea anyways.

Why Scarlet again?

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Hey could have been much much worse we could have gotten the Fall of Abaddon. I could see this now… Scarlet steal’s a TARDIS goes back and time and twist and warps Abaddon to be one of her minons.

To be fair, that would actually be hilariously awesome…. or awesomely hilarious… one or the other.

Why Scarlet again?

lordkrall.7241

Hint: there wasn’t. Angel literally say that playing the game count as her contribute to GW 1. Thats it. Her ideas were rejected at the time but god know what happen a year or so later when someone let her in charge of doing GW 2 Living Story.

Based on information from ArenaNet themselves she official joined (which would imply started working with) the writing team in 2007, the THREE YEARS before they released the first part of Beyond, so I would say it is very likely that she was involved in the writing of those parts.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Why Scarlet again?

Qawsada.4251

Based on information from ArenaNet themselves she official joined (which would imply started working with) the writing team in 2007, the THREE YEARS before they released the first part of Beyond, so I would say it is very likely that she was involved in the writing of those parts.

Again, read this particular part:

“Prior to my employment, I was a GW player for several years. I did some freelance at that time for ArenaNet to help write a GW atlas that never actually got published, but it meant that I spent a lot of time learning the world. "

She wasn’t part of the Beyond team. Chances are, either Angel is getting paid to play the game or was part of the giant bulk that was GW 2 that they were making. From what I can tell, I would say she was idling by until 2012, at least.

Why Scarlet again?

lordkrall.7241

She was hired as a WRITER in 2007.
Are you going to claim that she sat down and did NOTHING AT ALL for 5 years?

She talks about PRIOR to her employment, which wold mean BEFORE she got hired in 2007.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Why Scarlet again?

Qawsada.4251

She was hired as a WRITER in 2007.
Are you going to claim that she sat down and did NOTHING AT ALL for 5 years?

She talks about PRIOR to her employment, which wold mean BEFORE she got hired in 2007.

That is exactly what I said. She wrote stuff, the “smart” dev of Anet rejected them, and she have to wait for years until she made the Living Story.

Why Scarlet again?

lordkrall.7241

And where do you have any kind of proof about this?
Or are you just making stuff up to support your crusade against Angel?
Because the only thing you have linked talked about what she did BEFORE she was hired, as in BEFORE 2007.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Why Scarlet again?

Qawsada.4251

And where do you have any kind of proof about this?
Or are you just making stuff up to support your crusade against Angel?
Because the only thing you have linked talked about what she did BEFORE she was hired, as in BEFORE 2007.

Better yet, do YOU have proof Angel was part of the Beyond story? Last time I check, Angel was hired for GW 2 when Anet was moving on from GW 1 at 2007 after they rushed EotN. I already link mines. Maybe you should too.

Why Scarlet again?

lordkrall.7241

Seems like she was not actually part of the Live Team in GW1. So we will simply have to accept that we do not know if she was involved in the writing there or not.
But claiming that she did literally nothing from 2007 to 2012 is quite silly and you don’t have anything at all to back that up with.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Why Scarlet again?

Qawsada.4251

Seems like she was not actually part of the Live Team in GW1. So we will simply have to accept that we do not know if she was involved in the writing there or not.
But claiming that she did literally nothing from 2007 to 2012 is quite silly and you don’t have anything at all to back that up with.

She play GW 1 to count as her job, write stuff that were rejected, and was only active recently with the Living Story and the Retcon of Guild Wars 1.

I say, she did nothing until the Living Story occurs.

Why Scarlet again?

lordkrall.7241

And you have no proof of that, so stop claiming it as facts in order to try to discredit her.
It is actually quite likely that she was writing the main story-line of GW2 as well, including Halloween, Wintersday and the rest of those beloved releases.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Why Scarlet again?

Qawsada.4251

And you have no proof of that, so stop claiming it as facts in order to try to discredit her.
It is actually quite likely that she was writing the main story-line of GW2 as well, including Halloween, Wintersday and the rest of those beloved releases.

Its funny you mention that:

https://twitter.com/John_J_Ryan/status/273536268216983552
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/bam/Tassi-s-VA-and-the-writer-of-this-Event/

It wasn’t Angel but John Ryan. And you know what? John wrote a MUCH MORE compelling villain than what Angel could ever “dream” of.

Why Scarlet again?

Posted by: Medieval.1679

Medieval.1679

Scarlet appears, the volume goes down until she goes away. Nuff said.

Why Scarlet again?

Posted by: caiomacos.1694

caiomacos.1694

Scarlet remindes me of Carmen Sandiego (from the “Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego?” tv series). She just picked a random place on the world and started to do some random evil for no apparent reason. I guess we can say Scarlet Sandiego does the same: choose a random place on Tyria and start making trouble.

Why Scarlet again?

Posted by: grumbles.5412

grumbles.5412

I want to know how she pops into the Fractual and talks like its her past. How did she get into the fractual to begin with. She clearly wasn’t there as part of the actual event.

It makes zero sense. Though I have a feeling she’ll be identified as an Elder Dragon next.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Why Scarlet again?

lordkrall.7241

How can you claim that she “clearly wasn’t there as a part of the actual event” though?
She did work with the Inquest at one point after all.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Why Scarlet again?

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Hey could have been much much worse we could have gotten the Fall of Abaddon. I could see this now… Scarlet steal’s a TARDIS goes back and time and twist and warps Abaddon to be one of her minons.

Nah, this wouldn’t of happened. This is why Evon should of won. lolwpcost.

Like anybody voted for the waypoint cost. Thats something Woodenpatatoes also keeps saying. Many voted because of the story, many because the did not like the char and many because they did not like gem-store (especially rng). But there will have not been many people voting because of the way-points.

Why Scarlet again?

Posted by: Rynn.1324

Rynn.1324

I’m really sick of Mary Sue the Magical Plot Jumper at this point. Can we just retcon her out of GW2 completely, please?

[Tarnished Coast] Lizzibeth Huffles, Asuran Genius (Engineer) at Play

Why Scarlet again?

Posted by: matjazmuhic.1649

matjazmuhic.1649

Thank god we didn’t vote abbadon for new fractal. At least I can still apreciate the original lore now.

Why Scarlet again?

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Scarlet remindes me of Carmen Sandiego (from the “Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego?” tv series). She just picked a random place on the world and started to do some random evil for no apparent reason. I guess we can say Scarlet Sandiego does the same: choose a random place on Tyria and start making trouble.

Woa now, Carmen helped us learn geography when we were knee high. Scarlet helped me learn that weak writing can earn you a living wage.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Why Scarlet again?

Posted by: gebrechen.5643

gebrechen.5643

There is pve in this game? I love Scarlet, let her come into wvw, please!

Some people die on epidemic, other have skill.
- great warlord Waha of Sea 2981bc

Why Scarlet again?

Hell Avenger.7021

Woa now, Carmen helped us learn geography when we were knee high. Scarlet helped me learn that weak writing can earn you a living wage.

maybe I should take on some freelancing writing projects… hahahahahahahhaha

Why Scarlet again?

Atlas.9704

True but Carmen Sandiego has Rita Moreno as her voice while Scarlet has Tara Strong on a bad day. Tara has done better in other projects.
Also we learned things in Carmen’s show, but Scarlet’s hasn’t given us much except for the Reactor.

Carmen actually interacted with the show’s heroes. Scarlet really doesn’t in her show.
Yes I’m calling GW2 “Scarlet’s Show”, I’ve given up the idea of the game tagline “What’s your story?” and have adopted “So what is Scarlet doing these two weeks?”

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Why Scarlet again?

Posted by: Rynn.1324

Rynn.1324

True but Carmen Sandiego has Rita Moreno as her voice while Scarlet has Tara Strong on a bad day. Tara has done better in other projects.
Also we learned things in Carmen’s show, but Scarlet’s hasn’t given us much except for the Reactor.

Carmen actually interacted with the show’s heroes. Scarlet really doesn’t in her show.
Yes I’m calling GW2 “Scarlet’s Show”, I’ve given up the idea of the game tagline “What’s your story?” and have adopted “So what is Scarlet doing these two weeks?”

Scarlet’s voice is the only part of the character I enjoy.

[Tarnished Coast] Lizzibeth Huffles, Asuran Genius (Engineer) at Play

Why Scarlet again?

Atlas.9704

Scarlet’s voice is the only part of the character I enjoy.

To each their own, I just can’t see that voice work on someone who is supposed to be on the Player’s level of things.