Why are titles so divorced from lore?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

I can’t be the only one to have noticed this, but titles in the game are painfully generic most of the time to the point of actually avoiding referencing any GW2 lore. I think you can find more references to GW1 in them, and that just seems insane to me.

Here’s one of the more recent examples of lost opportunity: the HoT pact backpacks. You get two-tiered collections for Priory, Vigil and Whispers packs, then if you complete all three, you get another achievement and the title: The Great Reformer. Okay, and that references what, exactly? Did the Pact actually disband after the failure that was the initial Mordy assault, and did the Commander bring them back together? Thanks to some references in LS3, we know for a fact that it’s not true. And what exactly is the point of this title outside of the Pact context? Does it just sound good or something? I can’t imagine many RP situations calling for someone to be referred to as The Great Reformer. The title is meaningless.
What they should have done (in my opinion) is make all the top tier collections award the corresponding titles: Warmaster, Magister and Lightbringer. What are the downsides of those? There are multiples of people of those ranks in each of the orders, so it wouldn’t be THE thing to break immersion, especially not with so many other, much more immersion-breaking things in the game. Heck, make the lesser collections award lesser titles as well. I know “Agent” would be popular with a lot of people. It’s not like there’s a dearth of titles in the game at this point as well, so I can’t see any perceived prestige being a huge factor.

So why are the people responsible for titles shy away from the game’s own lore? I know the story is not exactly Shakespeare but when it comes to titles, it is avoided like a plague.

Posted by: Fenom.9457

Fenom.9457

Chicken Chaser when you follow the chicken to kick it again..

Want to read about a nice mini expansion to make Mordremoth and Zhaitan better?
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mini-Expansion-Vengeance/first#post6473305

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

We also don’t get the title “Champion of Orr” (or whatever that was) that the old Orrian king bestowed upon us at the end of the Personal Story… That’s one of my biggest complaints.

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

We also don’t get the title “Champion of Orr” (or whatever that was) that the old Orrian king bestowed upon us at the end of the Personal Story… That’s one of my biggest complaints.

Yes, that too. Ideally, you’d get the Order titles in the original PS as well, but the collection I listed as an example simply makes it easier to implement.

It’s genuinely baffling to me, it’s like whoever makes the titles is ashamed of the game’s lore.

Posted by: elrin.4750

elrin.4750

If theres one thing I really hate on GW2, it’s titles. They are a visual clutter. I wish I could turn just the titles off.

Anet won’t add an option to disable just the titles, anyone know why?

(edited by elrin.4750)

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

Some of them are ambiguous, yes. I don’t mind too much because, at this point, we have so many titles that they can be used to further identify your character. Some players will show off the most prestigious title they have. I find it’s often fun to choose a title to fit the character, such as Rift Warden on my Revenant, or Flameseeker on my Flameseeker Prophecies wielding Guardian.

I will be disappointed if we don’t get a “Well To-Do Hero Type” title in PoF though. +50 Lore Points!

Posted by: Alin.2468

Alin.2468

I must agree with this. Titles are way off lore. There is a huge lack of imagination here. For example “Elonian Envoy” from PoF prepurchase, what does it even mean? Why not Fire Envoy, or Flame Envoy, or Scout of Fire (because we are PoF scouts, and beta testers, and stress testers, and feedback providers). Those titles would have been way better, but this is just my humble opinion.

This is the best elementalist build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh5zjK7ITpQ

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I must agree with this. Titles are way off lore. There is a huge lack of imagination here. For example “Elonian Envoy” from PoF prepurchase, what does it even mean? Why not Fire Envoy, or Flame Envoy, or Scout of Fire (because we are PoF scouts, and beta testers, and stress testers, and feedback providers). Those titles would have been way better, but this is just my humble opinion.

Because you and an Envoy to a country or state from a different country or state not to a bit of fire. You cannot be an envoy to an object.

Posted by: Halan.7931

Halan.7931

Many of them are out of place, but “Knight of the Thorn” for restoring Caladbolg really fits for my Sylvari.

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

If theres one thing I really hate on GW2, it’s titles. They are a visual clutter. I wish I could turn just the titles off.

Anet won’t add an option to disable just the titles, anyone know why?

But then you won’t know that I’m the “Be-All End-All” or “Chicken Chaser”. Its of critical importance that you recognize my accomplishments, which is stumbled upon by accident while collecting feathers for a stupid anti-cold potion.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

GW2 has alot of titles, that I’d personally rename to make them fit better
But in the end its all just personal taste, which is different for everyone.

Id’ turn titles like these to

Chicken Chaser > Chicken Kicker (Hühnchentreter), because name it after what we have actually done, so that it kind of keeps its little own humor it has!

Slippery Slubbling > Slayer of Slothazor (Vernichter von Faultierion)

Siege Breaker > Siege Master (Belagerungsmeister or localize better for us into Belagerungsbrecher, not Belagerungsdurchbrecher)

Sanctum Sprinter > Blessed of Zephyr Winds (Gesegneter der Zephyrwinde)

Been Here, Done That >Tyrian Grandmaster Cartographer (Tyrianischer Großmeisterkartograph)

Champion-Illusionist > Champion-Charlatan (Champion-Scharlatan) (to avoid confusions with German localization with Mirage)

Champion-Magus > Champion-Sorcerer (Champion-Zauberer) (just sounds better)

Champion-Phantom > Champion-Occultist (Champion-Okkultist) /to avoid Phantom confusion with Mesmers)

Champion-Revered > Champion-Mistlord (Champion-Nebelherr/in)

Champion-Shadow > Champion-Reaver (Champion-Plünderer)

Champion-Paragon > Champion-Sentinel (Champion-Schildwache)

Reaper > Grim Reaper (Gevatter Tod) to avoid kind of ES name confusion

Light in the Darkness > Radiant Knight (Strahlender/Glänzender Ritter)

Demon’s Demise > Demon Hunter (Dämonenjäger)

Exotic Hunter > Relic Hunter/Collector (Reliktjäger/sammler)

The Great Reformer > Leader of Orders (Ordensführer)

Good Apple > Apple Lover (Apfelmöger) kind of better homge to Tybalt Leftpaw

Crab Toss Champion > Legendary Crab Tosser (Legendärer Krebswerfer)

The Be-All and End-All > Desert Storm (Wüstenstürmer)

I’m rich you know > Wealthy Salesman/woman (Wohlhabende/r Geschäftsmann/frau)

Lord Slayer > Legacy Bailee (Vermächtnisbewahrer)

The Unclean > Your Worst Nightmare (Dein schlimmster Albtraum)

Combat Healer > Paramedic (Sanitäter)

The Archdesigner > Creator of All Beings (Erschaffer von Allem)

The Emperor > Fashion Queen/King (Modekönig/königin)

Killer Queen > Karka Queen (Karka-Königin) (we killed one, so we are the new one for them, especially funny if karkas stop attacking us if we use this title as long we don’t attack them first!!)

Finely Crafted > Brew Master (Braumeister) fits better to the stuff you did for it.

Immovable Object > Righteous Defender (Rechtschaffender Verteidiger)

Leaves No Hero Behind > Paragon of Comradeship (Vorbild der Kameradschaft)

Unhappy Camper > Camp Invader (Lagerinvasierer)

Ultimate Dominator > Symbol of War (Symbol des Krieges)

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: hugo.4705

hugo.4705

I agree that a lot of titles should be changed, but “The Emperor/Empress” is cool, I don’t see me use fashion king instead :/ It’s prestigious and related to all gold you have to spend in it, your suggestions make it worst like you are just a fashion victim/designer walking through Tyria.

Secondly, I think, completing different dungeons collections should give us special title: For crucible of Eternity “Inquisitor or Kudu’s Henchman”, for Sorrow’s Embrace “Blacksmith”, for Catacombs “Ascalonian”, and so on……….

Join Inquest or Aetherblades that’s a terrible choice!
Please Anet, more underground, more asuran cities!
[TP] Bring back Moto’s boom box!

(edited by hugo.4705)

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

Chicken Chaser > Chicken Kicker (Hühnchentreter), because name it after what we have actually done, so that it kind of keeps its little own humor it has!

The humor of this title come from the wink at Fable: The Lost Chapter where the hero is called Chicken Chaser by NPC and can kick every chickens he sees.

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

I like my The Sunbringer title alot. Personally, I think the titles are there to suit different tastes and styles. Some of them are for good fun and jokes, and some players have player names that are funny, they might play casually or on the other hand play for the game mechanics not lore, and humorous titles fit. Some may take on more serious or cool looking titles and there are some of those to choose from. Not every title needs to be convincing and immersed in lore, because there are different player bases, and it’s good to have a selection. That said, some of them don’t make sense and don’t seem to be fair rewards in terms of effort needed

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

Personally, I think there could be more titles. Other games I’ve played have had way more, enough that you don’t see most players sporting a title from the same small group of titles.

Posted by: Glacial.9516

Glacial.9516

I definitely think the Order titles should be available and I was shocked that they weren’t when I first played through the PS. I’d love the Lightbringer title myself.

I’d also like to see more of the in-game NPC titles, or ones that relate to in-game groups. “Seraph” “Bandit” “Inquest” “Savant” “Mender” “Valiant” “Dreamer” “Courtier” “Flame Legion” “Shaman”. The kind of titles that suggest we’re just one Tyrian among thousands and a part of the world instead of a special snowflake, renowned dragonslayer, savior of the world-type. (Not that there’s anything wrong with those kinds of titles as well, but sometimes it’s more fun to play something simple).

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

Mine, too! I am now sticking to “Storyteller of Orr” with one character, but that’s still not the same.