Why are we still playing?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sai.5908

Sai.5908

I still play because

- We might get expansions like Nightfall and Cantha .
- No good MMO out at the moment .
- Waiting for another MMO to come out .
- I have a character attachment similar to my first character in GW1 .
- Hoping to have henchmen and heroes again maybe bring back Koss and Kormir .

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I’m building courage to hunt Meteorlogicus, but I’m not going anywhere unless I get precursor in hands!

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

(edited by Valento.9852)

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I highly doubt anyone’s done everything in this game.

Sure, you could have gotten all of the non-PvP/WvW achievements by now, and a good amount of the PvP/WvW achievements too. But to claim you’ve done everything would mean you’ve done:

• Every single event there is.
  • Every single personal story combination that alters dialogue/gameplay (approximately 15 full playthroughs)
  • Collected all miniatures
  • Collected all weapon/armor skins
  • Did all achievements – including maxing daily/monthly AP caps and the new collector achievements
  • Talked to all NPCs as each race and order (sometimes a combination of such) to see each dialogue

Even if you discount the whole dialogue thing, to claim you’ve done every event is unlikely due to how the system for them is. I still go through zones and occasionally find events I’ve never seen before, because certain previous events had failed/completed that were either the opposite previously, or were bugged when I last went through the area.

As for why I still play the game: friends, really. Though my gametime has greatly reduced in the past month. I’m hoping that the continuation of Season 2 can bring my interest back.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Plus he and I are lore nuts! So we’ll be here for a while.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

I highly doubt anyone’s done everything in this game.

Sure, you could have gotten all of the non-PvP/WvW achievements by now, and a good amount of the PvP/WvW achievements too. But to claim you’ve done everything would mean you’ve done:

• Every single event there is.
  • Every single personal story combination that alters dialogue/gameplay (approximately 15 full playthroughs)
  • Collected all miniatures
  • Collected all weapon/armor skins
  • Did all achievements – including maxing daily/monthly AP caps and the new collector achievements
  • Talked to all NPCs as each race and order (sometimes a combination of such) to see each dialogue

Even if you discount the whole dialogue thing, to claim you’ve done every event is unlikely due to how the system for them is. I still go through zones and occasionally find events I’ve never seen before, because certain previous events had failed/completed that were either the opposite previously, or were bugged when I last went through the area.

As for why I still play the game: friends, really. Though my gametime has greatly reduced in the past month. I’m hoping that the continuation of Season 2 can bring my interest back.

You can also count the grains of sand on the beach.

That doesn’t mean its fun or entertaining or a good way to spend your time.

I think you are mistaking worthwhile/fun content with busy work/chores.

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

I’m still playing mostly because I enjoy spending time with the people in my guild, regardless of what we’re doing. However, we seem to spend more time in the guild skype than we do in game at the moment. Game has become a bit stale. But Halloween is always fun and S2, which I’ve enjoyed so far, starts up again soon. I do hope something quite big is in the works though.

Posted by: Draconicus.7564

Draconicus.7564

Why are you still playing? What is this Guild Wars attraction that won’t let go even when there’s nothing left?

Point of this post is, I can’t figure out why I’m still spending hours playing this game.
I don’t do anything.

I was thinking about this same time ago! After some meditation on it, i realized it was all about the Beautiful game experience from GW1, and because in GW2 i listen the music from the original game! And i have a very strong bound with the game and it’s soundtracks!

Also because in the end…i still have hope…!

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I keep bouncing in and out. I like many aspects of the games, there just isn’t anything left for me to do. The season 2 updates are all completed in less than a couple hours.

The game needs some serious content updates. I can’t help but feel like the amount of content released is much lower than other mmos I play. Until we see some large content updates, I won’t do much more than log in to do the occasional dailies/world bosses. Luckily I have other games like Destiny(just got this, it’s amazing. I hope they release it for PC too), new WoW patch/xpac and some others.
The GW2 forum takes up more of my time than the game itself.

(edited by Fernling.1729)

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

classic MMORPG trap:

a) having conditioned yourself doing an activity over months and years.
b) the fear that if you leave the game all the time you invested will have been for nothing.

happens to the best of us, this is really the soul of all of these games

Konig Des Todes.2086

And I think you are mistaking the point of my post. Which was twofold:

1. It is inaccurate to say you’ve done everything. That’s a lot of things, and I find it unlikely. Whether or not you find it fun. If you were instead to say “I’ve done everything I care to do” – that’s not inaccurate, but it also is little different than saying “there’s more I could do, but I don’t want to, and I’m going to complain here that there’s nothing to do even though there is more to do” – even discounting the “chore” things. But what’s a chore for you, isn’t going to be such for others.
  2. Just going out into the game and exploring could lead you to finding new things. There is an insane amount of attention to detail in this game, and I’ve seen many, many cases of people – myself included – changing the common angle of the camera and going “woah, was this always here?” or going into a zone they don’t tend to visit and finding new, sometimes interesting, events to do.
Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

1. It is inaccurate to say you’ve done everything. That’s a lot of things, and I find it unlikely. Whether or not you find it fun. If you were instead to say “I’ve done everything I care to do” – that’s not inaccurate, but it also is little different than saying “there’s more I could do, but I don’t want to, and I’m going to complain here that there’s nothing to do even though there is more to do” – even discounting the “chore” things. But what’s a chore for you, isn’t going to be such for others.
  2. Just going out into the game and exploring could lead you to finding new things. There is an insane amount of attention to detail in this game, and I’ve seen many, many cases of people – myself included – changing the common angle of the camera and going “woah, was this always here?” or going into a zone they don’t tend to visit and finding new, sometimes interesting, events to do.

I think the problem here is the OP and you both think everyone else felt the same as they do.

The OP use the word “WE”, I’m not sure why he included everyone. Some other people may still be having fun, just because he isn’t, dont’ mean everyone else isn’t.

And you on the other hand think you are having fun, everyone else must felt the same way, if they didn’t, they just didn’t find it “yet”.

TheBlackLeech.9360

I had my “lets just go out an explore” phase…. but that nonsense came and went my friend.

I’ve climbed to the very top of the giant tree in Mt. Maelstrom

I’ve explored the very bottom of Rata Sum.

I’ve gotten out of every single map in this game by climbing or jumping….

I’ve searched every single corner of the game for things people haven’t found before, knowing as you stated that Anet has put great detail into the game.

I swam to the bottom of the ocean after beating Zhaitan in arah story….. looked for his body….. found it….. found the dragon champs i killed earlier….. then swam for an hour in one direction hopnig to find something besides open ocean.

I stood next to Largos npc’s and rotated my camera to see what their faces looked like inside of their masks….

I’ve read every single dialogue option from every npc/object at least 3 times.

I got excited when people started rumors about “Final Rest” and looked everywhere in the game that people may have just floated by without paying attention…. and got disappointed when anet snuck it into the SB chest instead of one of those areas where I had searched and did events that I thought nobody would have ever done.

I’ve played the game since launch, and I blast through new content faster than it is being delivered by Anet.

I used to be top 200 on leaderboards, and decided I would rather stick a fork in an electrical outlet than do “chores” in the form of daily categories to continue climbing/hold my place.

I’ve already started counted the grains of sand on the beach….

After I hit r80 in pvp there will be nothing left to do in this game.

Here are a handful of screenshots from my folder:

1) Random statue head that looks like a regular rock from the back…. but when you turn around its actually a head with an eyepatch!

Wow that was exciting for 2 seconds.

Oh look I captured in my screenshot one of my friends making fun of me for being in a zone where nobody even plays the game.

2 -3) I got threatened by a crab and I threatened back and it ran away!

Oh man I’m probably the only person who has ever done this…… but guess what? nobody cares.

4) What the Largos female face looks like inside the mask.

5) Me “out of the map” on top of Honor of the Waves Dungeon

6) Oh look that regular krait swimming around with all the undead krait in this personal story is still there….. I noticed it on my first playthrough 2 years ago, and now on my 12th playthrough its still there.

This is just from my fresh install of gw on this new computer about a month ago.

Bottom line is….. This game is so painfully boring now.
I’m not really even playing any more…. I’m just looking for bugs to report on the forums.
I don’t care if you tell me there are still things to do.

I want something fun and worthwhile.

New content.
A new race
A new class
A new continent
an expansion.

Giving us a wardrobe after we have played for a year and thrown out one of every skin at least a dozen times over, then saying collect these items you threw away a hundred times already is not fun.

I have my achievement for my 1,000 skins….. and I put more things in my wardrobe every day…

but its not fun.
If I wanted to play dressup with dolls and collect doll clothes, I’d go play barbies with a little girl.

Attachments:

(edited by TheBlackLeech.9360)

Konig Des Todes.2086

And you on the other hand think you are having fun, everyone else must felt the same way, if they didn’t, they just didn’t find it “yet”.

Where did I say I was having fun? I’ve past the point of having fun myself in this game, in all honesty – only friends retain my attention now. ArenaNet has been at an all time low in the past year and a half.

Where did I say anywhere that my post was talking about people having fun?

I am not talking about fun. I am talking about the phrase I’m seeing used repeatedly in the earlier portions of this thread: “I’ve done everything.” or “I’ve done everything except abc.”

And I am pointing out there is so much to do, I cannot believe that they are telling the truth in saying they did everything, or everything except a certain (few) thing(s).

I had my “lets just go out an explore” phase…. but that nonsense came and went my friend.

-snip-

I’ve played GW2 for nearly 3,000 hours over nearly 800 days. I have not even come close to doing everything, or so I keep proving to myself when I do go out and keep an eye for details.

So color me suspicious when you or others say “I’ve done it all.”

I don’t disagree that the game needs new content, preferably in the form of an expansion, but that doesn’t mean there’s nothing to do in the game. Maybe finding things isn’t just for you. I never said that you would have fun doing the things that are left in the game, I just said that the chances are very high that there are non-chore things in the game yet to discover.

Dear ANet writers,

TheBlackLeech.9360

Where did I say I was having fun? I’ve past the point of having fun myself in this game, in all honesty – only friends retain my attention now. ArenaNet has been at an all time low in the past year and a half.

Where did I say anywhere that my post was talking about people having fun?

I am not talking about fun. I am talking about the phrase I’m seeing used repeatedly in the earlier portions of this thread: “I’ve done everything.” or “I’ve done everything except abc.”

And I am pointing out there is so much to do, I cannot believe that they are telling the truth in saying they did everything, or everything except a certain (few) thing(s).

-snip-

I’ve played GW2 for nearly 3,000 hours over nearly 800 days. I have not even come close to doing everything, or so I keep proving to myself when I do go out and keep an eye for details.

So color me suspicious when you or others say “I’ve done it all.”

I don’t disagree that the game needs new content, preferably in the form of an expansion, but that doesn’t mean there’s nothing to do in the game. Maybe finding things isn’t just for you. I never said that you would have fun doing the things that are left in the game, I just said that the chances are very high that there are non-chore things in the game yet to discover.

I never once said I was out of “things to do”… I merely stated that these “things to do” are not worthwhile…. not rewarding in any way….. and are generally not accepted as fun in any way shape or form. Most of the things I have “left to do” are all things I need to go out of my way to do for AP.

AP does not interest me any more….. I was in the middle of the crowd…… climbed the leaderboards all the way to top 200, and I realized that nobody cares about your AP…… They see it and say….. oh you have a lot….. or oh you have a little….. but the actual amount doesn’t mean anything.

You get less AP for making 5 legendaries than you do for repeating your living story mission or donating gold to Ho-Ho tron.

Its all meaningless. Its just increasing some number to give a sense of progression.

I rode the crest of that wave for months and months…. and decided that AP grinding is just a list of chores to do, with no real reward, and certainly is no fun.

Attachments:

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

I don’t really, anymore.

The way Ascended gear was implemented planned the funeral. April megafailpatch dug the hole. Anet not giving a half a kitten about our concerns made the coffin. The ridiculous, mindless changes to the storyline hammered the lid shut.

I stick around in the vain hope that there are some signs of life before they start shovelling in the soil.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t really, anymore.

The way Ascended gear was implemented planned the funeral. April megafailpatch dug the hole. Anet not giving a half a kitten about our concerns made the coffin. The ridiculous, mindless changes to the storyline hammered the lid shut.

I stick around in the vain hope that there are some signs of life before they start shovelling in the soil.

Pretty strong on the hyperbole. The game still seems to have a lot of people, even if it’s not the same people, or it’s some returning people.

You don’t like the changes or the game, so Anet is burying it. The game is alive and well. There’s absolutely no evidence anyone has put forward to the contrary besides the annecdotal evidence of my friend, my guild etc.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I don’t really, anymore.

Pretty strong on the hyperbole. The game still seems to have a lot of people, even if it’s not the same people, or it’s some returning people.

You don’t like the changes or the game, so Anet is burying it. The game is alive and well. There’s absolutely no evidence anyone has put forward to the contrary besides the annecdotal evidence of my friend, my guild etc.

I still don’t understand hyperbole, afaik that was the guys opinion? So are Anet’s hype hyperbole too or worse since they may contain lies?

Posted by: ipan.4356

ipan.4356

I haven’t played in a while.

Playing Skyrim and Star Citizen (arena commander alpha)

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Because we are all waiting for Assassin’s Creed Unity, while simultaneously waiting for Destiny Beyond Earth to arrive on PC.

FTFY.

Also, still kind-of bummed that Arkam Knight is delayed. October was going to be such a good month too.

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

My answer: Because it’s fun.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

1) Not done finishing my characters’ looks (ranger and necromancer are the only ones left) and gear (four characters still need ascended trinkets, one of which is stuck because there are no ascended zealot/keeper trinkets).

2) Blade & Soul isn’t out yet.

Posted by: NEOCROM.8957

NEOCROM.8957

Lol, Blade & Soul, good luck with that. I’ll wait for next Mario instead.
Tbh, being lone wolf shows trully how much you like the game, you dont depend on friends, if they leave, you leave the game too, lol, you dont depend on a guild too much, if the guild is disbanded, you leave the game or dunno what else.
What is with all the talk about expansion? Didnt Anet told they wont do expansions in GW2? And even if they do, doesnt finally depends on NCsoft decission?
There are still tons of things to do in the game and i dont think it exists a player that completed all, are you rank 10k in wvw, did you get every single legendary, do you have 25k AP, are you the best in pvp? And much more.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

I don’t really, anymore.

Hyperbole (n.) rhetoric – “obvious and intentional exaggeration.”

Metaphor (n.) “something used, or regarded as being used, to represent something else; emblem; symbol.”

I believe Vayne needs a lesson on understanding common english grammar.

He was clearly using metaphorical instances in his speech. Personally I don’t believe any of that is exaggeration. It’s clear that his mind is made up as to how stuff was implemented. How he feels about this implementation and how you or I feel about it is completely irrelevant.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

Why are “we” playing? Excuse me but the things you’ve listed as stale, imbalanced, etc. might not feel stale and imbalanced to everybody so keep the whole “why are we” to “why am i”.

Posted by: Gaab.4257

Gaab.4257

I’m playing because I enjoy playing with my friends and my guild, I enjoy community on my server, I enjoy playing together with others. The game itself does not fascinate me that much anymore after the past two feature packs.

Posted by: MasterKitty.8205

MasterKitty.8205

Why wouldn’t I play the game? ^^ Even after 1.5 years of playing, I’m still not even close to bored of the game. I still want to master all classes, get better in PvP, get into commanding in WvW, know more about the lore, build a legendary or two (yea, I am a “bird”), I still love my awesome guildies etc, and the craziness, as well as the niceness that they have.

Just because you have opinion X, does not mean everyone has, nor should have, that same opinion X.

The devs are (in my opinion), very nicely doing their jobs. They do listen to the comunity, but they simply put what we want in a distant future, simply because the near future is already reserved. I just think too many people take devs changes for granted. GW2 changed a whole lot this year, I’m just sayin’.

Posted by: rozer.8042

rozer.8042

i only make the daily and some eotm wvwvw for rank ….
but i return to WoW for pre expansion and getting rdy for expansion …

(edited by rozer.8042)

Vayne.8563

I don’t really, anymore.

Metaphor (n.) “something used, or regarded as being used, to represent something else; emblem; symbol.”

He was clearly using metaphorical instances in his speech. Personally I don’t believe any of that is exaggeration. It’s clear that his mind is made up as to how stuff was implemented. How he feels about this implementation and how you or I feel about it is completely irrelevant.

I’m sorry but using language to imply something that there’s ZERO evidence to support is hyperbole. The game obviously isn’t dead or dying. Not unless a game that’s in the top 20 in Xfire, Raptr and Overwolf, that’s still making millions of dollars a month is dead or dying.

You didn’t like a change so you compare it to the game’s death, hence your creative use of the term funeral. It’s a gross exaageration, or commentary on the state of the game. The only thing that may or may not have died is your interest in the game.

Using language to exaagerate something is exactly what hyperbole is.

Even were this game to drop out of the top 20 in those three tracking sites, it still wouldn’t be close to dead. But as of now, the game is doing well.

Posted by: UndeadRufus.6832

UndeadRufus.6832

If there’s nothing to do, nothing new, I got everything I want, pvp/WvW is unbalanced, my story is complete, fractles/dungeons are stale, world completion is “been there done that” collecting spoons? No thanks. Crafting is done, legendaries are for the birds, there’s literally nothing else to do that intrest me.

So why do I keep coming back? Why are so many players who have done literally everything, keep playing? Why are you still playing? What is this Guild Wars attraction that won’t let go even when there’s nothing left?

Point of this post is, I can’t figure out why I’m still spending hours playing this game.
I don’t do anything.

I stayed with the game through thick and thin, from beta up until NPE, because it was really fun and the best thing going MMO-wise, even at its worst. As of the NPE, I’m not playing anymore, despite having dropped money for a new char slot mere days before the patch, and I really feel no compulsion to log in except to see if anything has changed. So far, nope, so I’m left to suspect things are now “working as intended,” and they’re still crap. Leveling new characters was my favorite part of the game, and that experience is gone.

“Fickle, wild, irrational apes aren’t qualified to boss each other around….”

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

We are still playing because despite it’s obvious flaws this game is still pretty awesome and fun too play.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

We are still playing because despite it’s obvious flaws this game is still pretty awesome and fun too play.

The game remains awesome. It just has glaring flaws and more glaring flaws are being introduced with every major updated.

I’ve gone back to European Truck Simulator 2 till something positive happens with this game. Just no motivation to log in anymore.

Posted by: Scipio.3204

Scipio.3204

I’d say wether GW2 is dying or not can be decided by using the logic of supply & demand. If something has high demand it is logical to deliver high supply or in other words if GW2 does have a stable or increasing playerbase that would mean anet has a stable or increasing income through gemstore and could deliver content in a nice & steady pace.
But that’s not the case. Content delivery is slower than ever and they show no sign of long term projects even after two year.
As for why I’m still playing, I’m not . I usually log in daily to see who is still online but I just stand around in a city.

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

The only glaring problem with the game is the community being full of people who overdramatize everything and the forums being full of people who actually don’t play just come here to comment.

Posted by: Liope.2948

Liope.2948

One reason to play is because after a while , the game world becomes a second ’’home’’ . Even if you feel like there’s nothing left to do(or you just don’t feel like doing anything) , you would still miss not visiting your virtual home everyday , even for a short time , to check how things are going :-P . Of course , not everybody has this kind of attachment. In my case , the attachment to the gw world started in GW1, and extended to the sequel , even if it has little in common with it’s predecessor. And….. I still hope to see Tyria as big as it was in gw1 (even bigger) …….one day.

Posted by: Dragonsegg.7615

Dragonsegg.7615

*I cant really afford a better computer system (PC and OS) so Im stuck with lesser graphically demanding games.
*I would love to run other games but cant afford to. Im thinking of trying a few other MMOPRPGs but waiting to see if I get a new job soon or lose even my broadband.
*I have tried a few other less graphically demanding mmorpgs and have not been happy with them.
*My guild in GW2 is friendly.
*I have tried some fps of late but frustrated with the big difference in play due the power of a pc, and also with cheaters and with pay to win features

I’ve found GW2 to be a really good stepping stone into other MMOs. Recently my drug of choice has been WoW, and if you haven’t tried it and you like GW2 then I recommend it. Granted some of the older content (lvl 1-70) feels a bit dated.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

*I cant really afford a better computer system (PC and OS) so Im stuck with lesser graphically demanding games.
*I would love to run other games but cant afford to. Im thinking of trying a few other MMOPRPGs but waiting to see if I get a new job soon or lose even my broadband.
*I have tried a few other less graphically demanding mmorpgs and have not been happy with them.
*My guild in GW2 is friendly.
*I have tried some fps of late but frustrated with the big difference in play due the power of a pc, and also with cheaters and with pay to win features

I’ve found GW2 to be a really good stepping stone into other MMOs. Recently my drug of choice has been WoW, and if you haven’t tried it and you like GW2 then I recommend it. Granted some of the older content (lvl 1-70) feels a bit dated.

Yeah, it’s my favorite mmorpg. With the expansion, it’s a good time for new people to jump on board.
I really don’t think it’s a game for the majority of GW2 players though. I remember some earlier surveys of why people were playing GW2 and no subscription alone was one of the leading reasons.

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

Because we are all waiting for Assassin’s Creed Unity, while simultaneously waiting for Destiny to arrive on PC.

Destiny will be an epic fail on PC, its not that good

Vayne.8563

I’d say wether GW2 is dying or not can be decided by using the logic of supply & demand. If something has high demand it is logical to deliver high supply or in other words if GW2 does have a stable or increasing playerbase that would mean anet has a stable or increasing income through gemstore and could deliver content in a nice & steady pace.
But that’s not the case. Content delivery is slower than ever and they show no sign of long term projects even after two year.
As for why I’m still playing, I’m not . I usually log in daily to see who is still online but I just stand around in a city.

This is backwards logic. Most games, when they go into a lull, produce more content to get people back. They come out with expansions to increase the playerbase. They make expansions to renew interest.

Games that are doing well don’t have to do that. That’s the logic of business.

The exception is when a game is in it’s last throws and you abandon it. Since the 9/9 patch was pretty robust, there’s no sign the game is being abandoned. Since we get new stuff on November 4th there’s no sign.

But if people weren’t playing and paying, the logical move would be an expansion.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

I don’t really, anymore.

I’m sorry but using language to imply something that there’s ZERO evidence to support is hyperbole. The game obviously isn’t dead or dying. Not unless a game that’s in the top 20 in Xfire, Raptr and Overwolf, that’s still making millions of dollars a month is dead or dying.

You didn’t like a change so you compare it to the game’s death, hence your creative use of the term funeral. It’s a gross exaageration, or commentary on the state of the game. The only thing that may or may not have died is your interest in the game.

Using language to exaagerate something is exactly what hyperbole is.

Even were this game to drop out of the top 20 in those three tracking sites, it still wouldn’t be close to dead. But as of now, the game is doing well.

I’d say there’s pretty strong evidence to support it – tracking sites/metrics aside, the number of players I see in LA during my time in the game has been significantly sliding for a while now. I don’t see this as any exaggeration (or hyperbole).

Player retention is something GW2 has always struggled with; the only instances where this can be argued is the release of LS updates and feature patches, and similarly for sPvP and WvW related patches. It’s why the NPE was created, because they wanted those people to revisit the game with a new structure for lower levels. This to me, is case in point.

The veterans of the game that still play are the achievement hunters (in ANY mode), the die-hards and the ones that still continue to hold out hope that this game can become what we always thought it would be, or at the very least what we wanted of it.

GuzziHero made a fairly strong point in his post, which unfortunately resonates very well with a lot of the forum topics. When that kind of sentiment is echoed continually through the General Discussions of the forum, you kind of have to wonder why there’s no deeper discussions with the devs about the game and how it can be improved. For sure, it would put to bed a lot of ongoing angst. Again, the policy is at fault.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

because no other game able to replace GW2 for me right now. AA is crappy Farmville with PK.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: ZanchinFissure.7981

ZanchinFissure.7981

I’ve been told and believe myself that everything gets boring. It’s only a matter of time before you get bored. Sometimes it takes a few moments, and sometimes it might even take a lifetime, but it all gets boring. If you’re not happy doing something anymore, than there’s no doubt that you will be bored, or are already bored.

Take a break or start roleplaying with people. Roleplay is fun because the story keeps changing and imaginary gameplay keeps evolving without new content needed to be added. Try it out.

Posted by: ipan.4356

ipan.4356

Star Citizen looks amazing right now.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Because we are all waiting for Assassin’s Creed Unity, while simultaneously waiting for Destiny to arrive on PC.

Well…….

I’m also playing AC:BF while waiting for Unity…. (just love the sailing!)

I still do my daily in GW2, but after that latest big patch, I found a lot of my enjoyment had vanished. I loved to level new characters, but with these changes, I feel like Anet thinks I’m simple or something. And the changes to the skill distribution system is the biggest problem I have (especially because of the daily, because now I don’t even get a skill point when I level… especially annoying when there’s a daily skill point task, which I can now almost never finish)

But I still love to explore, and enjoy the scenery.

Vayne.8563

@Valandil Dragonhart.2371

You seeing less people in LA continually can’t be compared to metrics though, for a whole lot of reasons. For example, there might be more people in different areas. There might be more people in Rata Sum or Divnities reach. Those programs that track player hours (and in one case player unique log ins) give actual data, which is better than any annecdotal evidence. For one thing, the human mind absolutely has issues with memory and seeing what it wants to see. There’s tons of evidence to support that. Testified to the fact that I haven’t seen less people in LA and you say you have. My own observatuions are largely worthless and can’t really be quantified.

At any rate, the ebbs and flows of the game are always going to be strongest on new release, then less until the next release In WoW it happens too, and no one says WoW is dying. WoW lost more people in the last two years than are likely still playing Guild Wars 2. But no one says they’re dying. WoW players, many, will be back with the next expansion.

Guild Wars 2 players, many, will be back for Halloween. And those tracking sites, particularly Xfire, show those ups and downs.

Seeing less people between updates if people log in for updates is nothing to comment on. Annecdotal evidence is inherently flawed, where as tracked data is more likely to be accurate.

Using the term a game is dying and using langage like funeral or buried, when a game is making millions and millions of dollars a month can’t be classed as anything but hyperbole. Why defend the indefensible?

He could have said that I don’t like stuff, instead he drew an unwarranted conclusion and expects us to swallow it. Why? Where’s the evidence? You see less people. Okay.

I’m biased and your biased. That’s why I prefer to depend on tracking software, and not any opinion.

Xfire and Overwolf have millions of players each. It’s statistically significant enough to judge how a game is doing, or at least trending.

This game is trending in the same spot across all three tracking sites for a long long time.

Many of us are still playing…no matter what spin you try to put on it.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’m beginning to think that ANet did themselves a disservice when they told us the NPE was being patched in due to players finding the game to be too difficult. Had they simply told us they were making the changes to better pace rewards to aid in new player retention, my guess is we’d be seeing a lot less of the, “ANet thinks I’m stupid.” comments.

Vayne.8563

I’m beginning to think that ANet did themselves a disservice when they told us the NPE was being patched in due to players finding the game to be too difficult. Had they simply told us they were making the changes to better pace rewards to aid in new player retention, my guess is we’d be seeing a lot less of the, “ANet thinks I’m stupid.” comments.

They did later say there were three reasons for the patch….but yeah, it was said too late.

Posted by: LeCreaux.3087

LeCreaux.3087

I play other MMOs, but I rate GW2 as the most casual-friendly. I have a bunch of level 80s, some are duplicates of the same class but as a different race. I enjoy just playing the game and usually make it to level 80 long before reaching any level 80 zones. For me the wardrobe, the exploring, the graphics, and the stories are the main features, not really the gear carrots. Plus the fact that ArenaNet actually bans antisocial players is unique, it’s refreshing to see a MMO at least trying to keep their game from becoming a ghetto.

I started out playing humans, but now I have several level 80 Asuras. I think their animations and personalities are funny. I gear and play them in very non-serious ways, in stark contrast to my real life where I’m unreasonably tall and stern.

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

I love the game. The artstyle, the core philosophies, the combat (if only the encounters took better use of it… Combat trinity, what?)

Conquest as the only game mode makes the PvP completely dull for me. It changed for a while when Courtyard was released, but they’ve dropped the ball on that one for now. Otherwise, I’ve loved MMOPvP since I was a kid.
More than one bloody game mode please – and more PvP exclusive armors and weapons would be nice! It was the big bait in previous games, and it worked splendidly!

WvW… Despise zerging. Otherwise a brilliant concept. Perhaps removing the 5-target cap would make a huge difference, but I assume that you don’t for the same reason that there’s condi-caps. (The hardware can’t handle it)

PvE is still too much about stacking and skipping (gold is at best secondary to fun guys. Or do you just not enjoy playing the game?).
And the only PvE content that I essentially always only wanted to play was dungeons, but those are super-casual. The only thing left for me to do is to play Fractals.

But since that’s the only thing in the game that I find worthy to spend my time on, it’s not nearly as fun as it should be; This goes against some of the core reasons why MMOs are enjoyable! There are supposed to be many things that you like to do. Now it feels like you’re funneled into one category. It’s terrible, actually.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

This is backwards logic. Most games, when they go into a lull, produce more content to get people back. They come out with expansions to increase the playerbase. They make expansions to renew interest.

Games that are doing well don’t have to do that. That’s the logic of business.

The exception is when a game is in it’s last throws and you abandon it. Since the 9/9 patch was pretty robust, there’s no sign the game is being abandoned. Since we get new stuff on November 4th there’s no sign.

But if people weren’t playing and paying, the logical move would be an expansion.

I apologize in advance.
I think it’s a mistake to play ‘pro-game-designer/producer’ and speak of believes as if they where facts.

Some games that do well also produces new content, but perhaps rather to stay on top; WoW started releasing expansions even though it was doing unbelievably well. Probably all about the cash in that case.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

Posted by: PistolWhip.2697

PistolWhip.2697

To kill people in pvp, to roam and have adventures in wvw, to see huge numbers in PvE and laugh at random PuG encounters.

Because it is my playground? And it is one of the only games that lets me do whatever I want in my time on it?

I have always said this and say this to people. Guild Wars 2 to me, is a playground, a sandbox if you will.

What you do inside it, and how much you enjoy aspects of it is all down to you. If you’re the type who finds something to do no matter where you are, and create your own adventures/games in general, then you will thrive. If you’re better suited or enjoy being given a goal or objective to work toward or content very often then it may not keep your interest.

Why am I still playing? The same reason I kept going back to GW 1 after every break for 7-8 years, because it was my playground and I could do whatever the hell I wanted in it.

(Within the user agreement and rules and regulations of course… <.<)

PLUS: This game has one of the funnest combat and movement systems I have ever tried personally, and I love the pvp engine despite all the hate thrown at the balance.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

(edited by PistolWhip.2697)