Why can people I havent friended see me?!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

As simple as that, it is not that i want to ignore them, nor completely avoid them, but sometimes some privacy wouldnt be too bad! They can see where Im, when Im on and all sort of things without my consent!

Please Anet, I dont want to log in as “invisible” just to avoid a couple of people, I dont have the heart to tell them to buzz off every time they whisper me, first because it is rude and unnecessary and because sometimes I would like to play with them.

Solution: Unless I accept their friend request they have as much information as someone who isnt in my guild/party/friend list!

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Just pretend you’re afk. :D

Fortus.6175

Just pretend you’re afk.

kinda hard when you are constantly changing maps and doing different activities that involves changing map, besides thats rude. All I ask for is at least to not show that where Im, nor when Im on.

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Fey Zeal.7032

Fey Zeal.7032

Just pretend you’re afk.

kinda hard when you are constantly changing maps and doing different activities that involves changing map, besides thats rude. All I ask for is at least to not show that where Im, nor when Im on.

I pretend I’m afk all the time while changing maps, moving directly in front of them, talking in the same chat as them, talking directly to them in the same chat as them. There is not a time when I am not afk. Even as I type this message, I am afk.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Isn’t there a way to log in invisibly from the log in screen?

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

Just politely refuse them. If they ask you to stuff, just reply "Sorry I can’t right now. Good luck " perhaps offering a reason if you feel inclined to do so. If they just want to engage in conversation, then the same principle applies. “Sorry, I’m kinda busy atm, can’t chat” should work in most cases.

Remember, this is a social game and I believe that the game’s community is benefited and enriched by this feature.

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

As simple as that, it is not that i want to ignore them, nor completely avoid them, but sometimes some privacy wouldnt be too bad! They can see where Im, when Im on and all sort of things without my consent!

Please Anet, I dont want to log in as “invisible” just to avoid a couple of people,I dont have the heart to tell them to buzz off every time they whisper me, first because it is rude and unnecessary and because sometimes I would like to play with them.

Solution: Unless I accept their friend request they have as much information as someone who isnt in my guild/party/friend list!

lolwut? rude? What kind of jerk thinks it is rude when you don’t want to be around them every second that they feel like you should? Anet should not have to waste time dealing with a personal issue that you can fix yourself :P

Better Solution: Just say “Not right now” or “I am busy atm”

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Yes, but if they have game messages enabled it will tell them in chat when you log on or off. And they can still see which map you are on if they check their friends list even if you are “invisible”.

Posted by: Moon.7310

Moon.7310

I honestly think this friendlist thing needs some work… but I think there are three aspects which need to be considered.
First friends/followers: I personally don’t mind that anyone can add me but I still think that it would be best to limit the option of followers (since these are people who put you on friend list, friends are mutual ones which you also put on friend list)… in my opinion they don’t need to see where you are, it would be enought that they can see you online when looking in their friend list (no message when you come online) because in my opinion followers can easily become friends / guildmates and if they could not see you at all it would be discouraging. But it would also help if you could put in a message that is automatically sent to followers whispering you when you enable it like “Busy at the moment, sorry for not answering”
Second is block option: It is ridicolous that people you block can still see you online even when you block them… since some people really go try find you… just crazy
Third is invisible option: This needs improvement. First we should be able to log in invisible and not have this option in the char selection screen where everyone will already have seen you logging into the game… second what use is an invisible option if everyone can notice you since all locations changes are still visible in guild / friend list… so my guild would know and the only thing that is invisible is the guild chat… makes real sense… not that I am hiding from my guild, but we were testing the options of the game and this is really a mess.
Hope to see some improvements to these issues in the future

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

The information that is shared with followers vs friends doesn’t even make sense. The most “sensitive” piece of info should be current location, but that is openly shared with everyone. The only additional information a mutual friend gets is profession/level and current server.

Followers should only see your account name, character name, level, and profession. There isn’t any reason for addition info to be shared. I think even the online/offline notifications should be limited to mutual friends as well.

If I like someone well enough that I want them to know where I am and be notified when I log in, I will add them to my friends list so that can be shared. This is exactly how location sharing worked in GW1, and is how it should work in GW2. GW1’s block list also prevent the blocked person from seeing that you were even online.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Fortus.6175

oh look! it is just another of the many people that only read the tittle and think they know it all before actually reading i…

/amused /sarcasm

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

This is a social game, yes. What followers can do is wrong however.
A friend of mine had a complete stranger starting to harass her, messaging her all the time as soon as she logged in, making sure she knew he knew where she was.

The system doesn’t need to be removed, but it does need to be changed to allow a bit of control. If you end up with someone stalkerish or harassing you, you should have the option to immediately bock them and actually have block work, unlike now where they can still see what you are doing.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Finding out what part of the world someone’s in is a pretty standard /who feature in MMOs. The friends list simply acts as that feature. If you’re not in the maximum amount of guilds, you can be invited to a guild while offline. This gives even more details.

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

A friend of mine had a complete stranger starting to harass her, messaging her all the time as soon as she logged in, making sure she knew he knew where she was.

The system doesn’t need to be removed, but it does need to be changed to allow a bit of control. If you end up with someone stalkerish or harassing you, you should have the option to immediately bock them and actually have block work, unlike now where they can still see what you are doing.

If you are harassed, report the person, and he’ll get a nice ban to think about his actions.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

Posted by: lostforever.3106

lostforever.3106

This issue is made worse by the fact that in GW2 people an see your account and not just a character. In other games you can “hide” in a different character

I never really understood why Anet allow people to see the whole account…

Bima – Warrior
Drona – Guardian

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Yes, but if they have game messages enabled it will tell them in chat when you log on or off. And they can still see which map you are on if they check their friends list even if you are “invisible”.

That is actually a serious flaw in the invisibility mechanic. All offline AND invisible characters should always show “offline” instead of an area location.

Also, checking up on the location/activity of other people by adding them to your own friend/ignore(*) list without the ability of the other person to do anything about it is just weird.

(*) does that last one still work? Can’t check at the moment…

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

There was quite a lengthy thread about this issue about 6 months ago. In the end, it was closed by a moderator. The only official word given in the thread was a suggestion to report anyone who harasses you.

Evidently, the issue was not deemed important enough to warrant any further attention.

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

Be more assertive if you don’t want people making conversation with you. Or block them until you’re ready to grace them with your presence.

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

“Mr troll” wants add you to friends list, do u want add him? And from here we should have option to accept/cancel

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

lol this game’s friends list is a stalker’s best friend. I don’t see that changing. Just get used to ignoring people you don’t want to talk to, or telling them to go to hell.

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

So you don’t need to remember hundreds of character names and who they belong too instead of a few account names

mrstealth.6701

So you don’t need to remember hundreds of character names and who they belong too instead of a few account names

I do like the idea of adding the all characters. I think Anet’s reasoning was something like “you’re adding the person, not the character”. I play a lot of different characters, so it would be hard to keep in contact with me otherwise.

However, GW1 handled this a lot more conveniently. There was no account name, and the person was permanently listed as the character you added, with the current character they are in parentheses next to it. If “Sir John The Warrior” that I added a week ago from a dungeon run is playing his alt “Alty The Ele Alt”, it’s a lot easier to know who he is on my friends list if I see the familiar Sir John instead of “jdawg.1234”. Maybe I should try the nickname feature again, but last time I attempted that it reset back to account names at every game udpate, which only made the problem worse.

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

Yeah, I showed this to one friend of mine and we both had the same consideration: Who the kitten cares?

So someone can see when you’re online and what map you’re on… And? How does that even matter? In real life this is an issue because in real life people can force you to interact with them… It’s illegal, it’s bad, but it can be done. This does not happen in this game. They can’t touch you, they can’t even body block you, and they can’t talk to you if you don’t want them to (/block is awesome btw). So who the kitten cares?

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

You would have loved GW1. You didn’t ever have a follower’s list. Anyone who added you was completely anonymous and could see every detail about you.

#StalkerWars2

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

You can always block and unblock them as needed…

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Fortus.6175

Yeah, I showed this to one friend of mine and we both had the same consideration: Who the kitten cares?

So someone can see when you’re online and what map you’re on… And? How does that even matter? In real life this is an issue because in real life people can force you to interact with them… It’s illegal, it’s bad, but it can be done. This does not happen in this game. They can’t touch you, they can’t even body block you, and they can’t talk to you if you don’t want them to (/block is awesome btw). So who the kitten cares?

once again, you are missing the point. Doing that while it isnt “rude” per say, it does show you are ignoring them on purpose, and they will most often than not take it bad.

Some days you are just tired from work, had a bad day,just want to log in, do your daily, and chill on the Grove. Some people get really attached to you, whether because you are friendly or good at your thing, or a guardian who doesnt play zerker but rather support/heal and is wanted to by everyone. Usually I aid them wit what i can when I can, but ignore them purposely too much and when you need them they will do the same.

Some people just need a breathing room without any social pressure, while I dont have to there are certain things called “manners” which prevent me from being a total jackas

Legendary SoloQ

Fortus.6175

they can still see where you are, and further more, now it is worse because they know you are blocking them when they see “User has blocked you” pops up…..

once again, this is not the solution.

Let me put this into perspective:

Imagine facebook logs you in in any place you are whether you want it or not, and suddenly EVERYONE who has a facebook account can see where you are and have access to your phone number and can call you for free, and even show up in the place. Sure, if it is a stalker you can call the police, if it is a close family member you can tell them to buzz off. But for friends and others it doesnt work like this.

I dont know why some of you dont understand this; privacy is important, I should have more power on who I interact with.

Legendary SoloQ

(edited by Fortus.6175)

mrstealth.6701

You would have loved GW1. You didn’t ever have a follower’s list. Anyone who added you was completely anonymous and could see every detail about you.

#StalkerWars2

All they could see was your character name and the character you are currently on. The only other info ever displayed to anyone was your location, and that was for mutual friends only. It was limited to mutual friends for privacy reasons, but apparently that was forgotten somewhere between GW1 and GW2.

(edited by mrstealth.6701)

Posted by: Tamaki Revolution.3548

Tamaki Revolution.3548

I’m not a fan of the followers system, at all. I also wish I could log on as invisible, even before I hit the character selection screen.

Ronah.2869

I think people having this issue is because of their real life friends, relatives co-workers etc. They tell them they are in one place and then those people see them in the game.
So it is not game fault, it is your nu-trusty personality.
Stalkers in the game are just /ignored so that won’t be a problem but people you know are hard to be ignored especially if you meet them in reality often

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

right click and block… not hard lol. If they still follow you around who cares… what are they hurting? Its a game not like they are following you home to kitten you.

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

they can still see where you are, and further more, now it is worse because they know you are blocking them when they see “User has blocked you” pops up…..

Imagine facebook logs you in in any place you are whether you want it or not, and suddenly EVERYONE who has a facebook account can see where you are and have access to your phone number and can call you for free, and even show up in the place. Sure, if it is a stalker you can call the police, if it is a close family member you can tell them to buzz off. But for friends and others it doesnt work like this.

I dont know why some of you dont understand this; privacy is important, I should have more power on who I interact with.

Ya thats not the same thing… a player doesn’t get personal info ABOUT YOUR REAL LIFE ADDRESS/PHONE/ or anything that could otherwise be used to stalk you or cause you harm in reality.

Its a game if they want to waste their time following you around then so be it… why does it bother you so much? are they causing you problems? Causing you any physical/mental harm?

NO they are not. Simply block them so they cant chat with you and go about your business if they follow you around don’t pay any attention they will get bored and leave eventually.

Posted by: kossman.8206

kossman.8206

Ya thats not the same thing… a player doesn’t get personal info ABOUT YOUR REAL LIFE ADDRESS/PHONE/ or anything that could otherwise be used to stalk you or cause you harm in reality.

Its a game if they want to waste their time following you around then so be it… why does it bother you so much? are they causing you problems? Causing you any physical/mental harm?

NO they are not. Simply block them so they cant chat with you and go about your business if they follow you around don’t pay any attention they will get bored and leave eventually.

none of that matters…. systems need to be in place… before you TLDR your response post…. read the thing….

Fortus.6175

ok, its obvious it doesnt bother you, and its obvious that you have never been in this situation, and if you have the congratz, you are happy with the current way it is.

While this is not “the real life” (is this just fantasy?) I dont judge things by whether its happening in person or through the PC, I value time, and if Im putting time into something I try to make the best of it.

Right now im not comfortable with the current privacy we get in-game, while you might be a small percentage that dosnt care, the vast majority who has had his issue would like to have some more privacy.

In fact, we can even compromise; an option that would let you keep the current settings, and another for the like of us which would let us turn off:

online status
server
character name
place

There, everyone wins, everyone is happy.

Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I have massive privacy concerns about the contact list, and I typed them all out very thoroughly before, including examples of gaming life seeping into RL that have happened to myself before and other people I know.

Buuut the thread was deleted, and I’m really too tired to explain the same stories and concerns every time.

If you’ve never had a stalker in RL, good for you. It does happen to other people, though.

ProxyDamage.9826

once again, you are missing the point. Doing that while it isnt “rude” per say, it does show you are ignoring them on purpose, and they will most often than not take it bad.

Some days you are just tired from work, had a bad day,just want to log in, do your daily, and chill on the Grove. Some people get really attached to you, whether because you are friendly or good at your thing, or a guardian who doesnt play zerker but rather support/heal and is wanted to by everyone. Usually I aid them wit what i can when I can, but ignore them purposely too much and when you need them they will do the same.

Some people just need a breathing room without any social pressure, while I dont have to there are certain things called “manners” which prevent me from being a total kitten

o, not only are you being “rude” (according to your standards….) but also a coward, a liar and a hypocrite? Oh, I see, much more polite.

There are so many things wrong with this post I don’t even know where to start…

First of all, are these people your friends or not? They’re not on your friends list… So they can’t be too much of a friend… So who the kitten cares if they decide to be upset? Boohoo, someone on the internet doesn’t like you. Big woot.

Second, since when it is considered “rude” to not want to talk to random people? Sometimes I don’t wanna talk to people. I’m tired, or I had a bad day, or that particular person is boring me. I tell them I don’t want to talk right then. If they choose to be upset, or emotionally distraught, that’s their problem. It’s one of those age old “offense is taken, not given” things. If people, especially people I don’t even consider my friends, choose to be upset because I may not be in the mood to talk to them 24/7 they can go suck a lemon.

Third, even assuming the incredibly flawed concept that it’s somehow rude to not wanna talk to people every time, wouldn’t the right thing to do, by any moral standard I know, be to have the cojones to be honest about it? I can’t think of any moral standard of any logic in which lying to people is the polite thing to do.

“Oh no, I don’t wanna talk to you. But the polite thing to do is to pretend I’m not home instead of telling you ‘not today’. Nothing says ‘polite’ like being lied to! No sir!”

Everything you do in life is a choice. Accept it. If you don’t wanna talk to someone make that choice and live with it. There’s a reason you don’t wanna talk to that person then.

Because this…. This boils down to you wanting the game to have tools that facilitate people being lying cowards without the intestinal fortitude to accept their choices. “I don’t want to talk to people… but I don’t want them to know!”. I’m not on board with that.

mrstealth.6701

It’s bad enough that anyone can follow you and see this info, but the worst part is (as claimed previously, I have not tested this myself) that even someone you have chosen to block can still see it. If I block someone, they should not be able to see any info at all. I should appear offline to them at all times.

Sometimes even a person you know in real life is not someone you want knowing when you are online in a game, or where you are in that game. A friend I played another MMO with had a former employee using his online status in the game to determine when he was home. Contact list additions in that game were character based, and required no authorization. All the stalker had to do was make another character to avoid block lists (I don’t recall if blocking even prevented status from being seen).

GW2 makes this even easier for the stalker by adding all of the victims characters at once, and ignoring the block list. The only “advantage” the victim has is that their stalker will show up on their followers list, but there isn’t much they do about it.

Looking at this logically, there is no valid reason for anyone to be able to obtain anything more than your character name by following you (maybe account name, but I would question why that is needed; simply show the added character name instead as GW1 did). There are many legitimate reasons to prevent this info from being shared, however. This basic level of privacy was included in the now over 8 year old GW1, so why does a sequel built around the same engine (very modified), by the same company, lack these features?

Ronah.2869

If you’ve never had a stalker in RL, good for you. It does happen to other people, though.

And how is this game’s fault? They didn’t force you to give them your account.
You can easily buy a new one and don’t give it to them so they don’t know you are online. ever

mrstealth.6701

So, not only are you being “rude” (according to your standards….) but also a coward, a liar and a hypocrite? Oh, I see, much more polite.

There are so many things wrong with this post I don’t even know where to start…

First of all, are these people your friends or not? They’re not on your friends list… So they can’t be too much of a friend… So who the kitten cares if they decide to be upset? Boohoo, someone on the internet doesn’t like you. Big woot.

Second, since when it is considered “rude” to not want to talk to random people? Sometimes I don’t wanna talk to people. I’m tired, or I had a bad day, or that particular person is boring me. I tell them I don’t want to talk right then. If they choose to be upset, or emotionally distraught, that’s their problem. It’s one of those age old “offense is taken, not given” things. If people, especially people I don’t even consider my friends, choose to be upset because I may not be in the mood to talk to them 24/7 they can go suck a lemon.

I think a lot of people would consider it rude if someone didn’t want to talk to them/do something in game with them, yet they can see that person online for however long they choose to play the game. Even if you’re just not in the mood to be social/talkative/etc, they are likely going to take it as being blown off, whether or not that is the intention. If you’re already in a bad mood because of something, you’re more likely to say something that could be taken as rude. Simply never appearing as online to them (or anyone else) is a better solution for both sides.

It’s not being rude, it’s not being a liar, and it’s not being a coward. It’s simply wanting to play a game without having to bother being social.

mrstealth.6701

And how is this game’s fault? They didn’t force you to give them your account.
You can easily buy a new one and don’t give it to them so they don’t know you are online. ever

Never had an ex-gf/bf/wife/husband? Or a disruntled co-worker/employee/boss that you formerly had a good relationship with? That cousin you had a falling out with? There are plenty of reasons why someone you formerly wanted to have this info would now be someone you wish could not see it.

Spending another $60, and throwing away nearly a year’s worth of game progress/items/etc is not an acceptable solution. The game having features that were part of its 8 year old prequel is a solution.

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

Here is the link to the old (closed) thread. It wasn’t as long ago as I had remembered:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Too-easy-to-stalk-Privacy-concerns/first

ProxyDamage.9826

I think a lot of people would consider it rude if someone didn’t want to talk to them/do something in game with them, yet they can see that person online for however long they choose to play the game. Even if you’re just not in the mood to be social/talkative/etc, they are likely going to take it as being blown off, whether or not that is the intention. If you’re already in a bad mood because of something, you’re more likely to say something that could be taken as rude.

That is exclusively their problem.

Simply never appearing as online to them (or anyone else) is a better solution for both sides.

I don’t see how.

It’s not being rude,

Yes it is.

it’s not being a liar,

Yes it is. I’m pretty sure lying is lying.

and it’s not being a coward.

Yes it is.

It’s simply wanting to play a game without having to bother being social.

/block

Or just ignore them. Whichever.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Ignore feature….. built in for a reason.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Rock.7324

Rock.7324

I don’t understand the question… what do you mean “people can see you”?
Who can see you? You mean the people around you in LA or wherever?

I’m asking this because I received a message from someone that they did something with my name (like a friend request I guess) and I can’t seem to ever see them online… so basically, I want you to explain what happens to you so I can do the same to the person I mentioned and finally find them

* ’Ko leži ne beži! *
Rockbaby – Asura Guardian, Desolation EU :)
Rockavenger – Dwarf Paladin, Bronzebeard EU :D

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I don’t understand the question… what do you mean “people can see you”?
Who can see you? You mean the people around you in LA or wherever?

I’m asking this because I received a message from someone that they did something with my name (like a friend request I guess) and I can’t seem to ever see them online… so basically, I want you to explain what happens to you so I can do the same to the person I mentioned and finally find them

She’s talking about the people that add you to their friends list, they show up under the ‘following’ tab on yours until – you ignore them, add them, or they remove you from theirs

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

True story, so you don’t have to use your imagination.
Here’s what happened to me in 2004/2005 when I played NWN.

I met this guy in uni. We did homework/study together a few times. He became increasingly intrusive, and I stopped hanging out with him. He then joined forums that I was an active member of (including the guild I ran), joined the NWN server I was playing on and other websites and games. He also showed up at my door uninvitedly and unannounced more than once, despite me not opening the door.

And he did so when he knew I was at home, and he knew that I was home alone (because he saw me online in NWN, and I wouldn’t play NWN for hours when I had friends or my boyfriend over).

I couldn’t get him banned in-game for out-of-game actions, and I couldn’t have him prosecuted in RL because hogging someone’s front door is not a crime.

I ended up both stopping playing NWN and moving houses.

He still sends me occasional messages via boards (all of which I ignore), but he doesn’t know where I live, and he doesn’t know that I play GW2.

But: You might meet your next stalker in GW2. Or you might meet them at uni. And you might find out about his stalking only after hanging out in RL or in the game.

If it can happen to me, it can happen to you.

It is now 8 years later, and I would feel a lot happier in game if I knew that I can protect myself from people like that. If I block someone on facebook, they don’t see my online status. I can’t think of a good reason why GW2 should behave differently.

(edited by Pixelpumpkin.4608)

mrstealth.6701

Simply never appearing as online to them (or anyone else) is a better solution for both sides.

I don’t see how.

It’s not being rude,

Yes it is.

it’s not being a liar,

Yes it is. I’m pretty sure lying is lying.

and it’s not being a coward.

Yes it is.

It’s simply wanting to play a game without having to bother being social.

/block

Or just ignore them. Whichever.

If you don’t appear as online, they don’t know you are online, you don’t get messaged by them, and their is no chance they will be offended by your not wanting to talk to them.

It’s being anti-social, but it’s certainly not being rude, lying, or a coward. It’s just hiding and being anti-social. There isn’t anything more to it than that.

What exactly is it supposedly lying about? Or being afraid of?

You accomplish the same immediate effect of blocking/ignoring, without the long-term damage of offending someone just because you had a bad day. That might be “their problem”, but you are a part of it. And simple features that should be in the game anyway (for the other reasons posted here) could help to prevent that from being a problem.

edit:
If I’ve had a bad day, I’m probably not going to share that with someone I don’t know that well. It’s none of their business. So that is going to leave them not knowing why I don’t want to talk to them (more likely to think I’m just blowing them off and being a jerk). Any other reason I gave them would be an actual lie. Is that really better than an invisible mode to prevent that conversation from happening? Just because I don’t know them well doesn’t mean I don’t care about not coming off as a jerk to them.

(edited by mrstealth.6701)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

If you don’t appear as online, they don’t know you are online, you don’t get messaged by them, and their is no chance they will be offended by your not wanting to talk to them.

But they do know, since the area you are in is constantly updated, and it does show. So, the first time they’ll see your info showing a different area, they will know you are online even if the game insists you are not.
And there’s absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Hmm. I’ve noticed if i don’t have mutual friends in my list, the only thing i can see if that they are online, unless they are in guild and i look at the roster. It’s interesting that we can see where people are, but not the last time they logged, seems backazzwards to me.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

mrstealth.6701

But they do know, since the area you are in is constantly updated, and it does show. So, the first time they’ll see your info showing a different area, they will know you are online even if the game insists you are not.
And there’s absolutely nothing you can do about it.

That’s part of the problem being discussed here. It makes the invisible option a bit pointless. It’s a major flaw in the system that needs to be fixed. Just like how setting yourself as invisible makes guild chat not work.