Why did you guys buy GW2?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gwaiyn.4395

Gwaiyn.4395

well kiddies, gather around, i have a story to tell,

this is the tale of how i ended up buying gw2~

once upon a time, i was just your average free to play mmo player, with wow being the only real mmo that i actually bothered paying for, and so, whenever guild wars 2 came up, i never really cared

i never followed the hype train to gw2, i never followed the devs through the development process, i didn’t relish in the beauty of the art the gw2 team was showing the world, to me at that point in time, gw2 was just another mmo comming into a market flooded with mmos

i was so used to the whole traditional, GRIND EVERYTHING, point and click type mmos that i really believed gw2 would be the same, but the day before the prerelease, i decided to watch a few videos of gw2 just to see what it was like,

well, i ended up watching this one video where a developer was showing off the asura starting area

during the character creation screen, he mentioned the asura are well known for floppy ears

at that point the hamster in my head stopped running and all i heard the rest of the video was his voice saying “floppy ears, floppy ears, Floppy Ears, FLOPPY EARS!!!”

and so i bought guild wars 2 a day before the prerelease JUST for the asura’s floppy ears, not the gameplay, not the art style, not the hype, it was the floppy ears~

that was the best $60 i’ve ever spent on an mmo, and i have absolutely no regrets, i ended up joining the crowds of fans, the gameplay was amazing and all that beautiful art that the devs had shown really came to life, and the best part is, i have my floppy ears

so, did you guys have any particular reason for buying gw2? maybe a similar story to mine? or did you buy it for a completely different reason?

Gwaiyn – 80 Thief
Ryfaul – 80 Warrior
Fluene – 80 Mesmer

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

I played other mmorpgs for years, and eventually left them feeling very bitter, because I hated the way they were manipulating my desire for escapism. I still loathe the genre to this day.

After not playing them for so long, I was getting kind of bored, so one night I went searching on the internet for a game I might like.
Not only did I find something, Guild Wars, but it turned out to have no sub and I could buy an account online. So I did buy a GW account that night, and I fell in love with it. Played it for years. It was the single best game investment I’d probably ever made. XD

Once GW2 was announced it was probably because of how much I like GW that I ended up getting GW2. And that’s the story of why I got GW2. Doesn’t reveal anything about how I feel about it. I’ll leave that up to anyone’s imagination. XD

(edited by Redfeather.6401)

Posted by: Fiesbert.9816

Fiesbert.9816

sPvP and WvWvW
That most of the rest turned out awesome as well was a nice surprise.

Necro autoattack/minion DPS http://tinyurl.com/8wd6lv6
DS battle tank http://tinyurl.com/8dv5q9p

Posted by: Sirevanac.3178

Sirevanac.3178

i had a great deal getting one expansion of gw1, didnt have money for more. After playing quite a bit, i found it amusing, but still, didnt have money. So i read that gw2 was going to be released, in many years, but it was going to be released. So I waited.

Now a days, i see the pvp of gw1 and kitten if the game wasnt probably going to die in some time, i’d so buy the other expansions :P

Posted by: Lifelike.5862

Lifelike.5862

I bought it because it was unfortunately a better game than Tera, and everyone else was playing it. I still prefer Tera for it’s art and combat, but GW2 just has more content and feels more alive.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I missed out on GW because I did not have an internet connection at that time.
I played DDO for a bit and I detested it.
I saw the manifesto and thought Mmmm this sounds like something I might actually enjoy.
Cancelled my DDO subscription and started reading up on GW2 and watched some early footage. Decided this was definitely for me and convinced my husband that he should try it too.
He pre-purchased 2 accounts for my birthday present and we have been playing happily since BWE2.
I convinced some of our friends to get it and they love it too.
It delivered exactly what I wanted and we are still enjoying ourselves immensely.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Surinen.9684

Surinen.9684

I’ve heard that this revolutionary game wont require grinding from me, then I met legendary weapon and in current precursor/mystic clover form it is unnaceptable. Legendary, same as any other maina chievement posted on character screen should be accesible by playing game – not one feature called Trading Post. GW2 PvE endgame is all about skins and those “optional” things are mandatory for most of the player base.

Posted by: Timze.7980

Timze.7980

I have played the first Guild Wars about 1500 hours. And I’m still loving it. But once every player just left the first Guild Wars game I did too finaly.

The reasons for bying Guild Wars 2 were it’s lack of subscription, different gameplay than other MMOs, beautiful graphics and, of course, to support ArenaNet to be the number one game developer one day.

If you are reading this, you are only waisting your time!
Still reading this? You know there is something better to be done for sure. -.-’’

Posted by: Ravenblade.7685

Ravenblade.7685

Been left in utter disgust about the future prospect of MMORPGs after SW:TOR I was highly skeptical at first, not really following the hype train at all because hype is just conditioned lack of pragmatism and loss of perspective and I didn’t read much manifestos. I watched however a lot of Totalbiscuit’s videos covering GW2. Played the first Beta and I was actually surprised that it was playing out like that. I didn’t like some of the chaos in DEs and WvWvW. I also was disappointed about dungeons still requiring full five player parties. Yet I felt positives outweighed negatives. Especially the one saying there are no exclusive high-end raids.

PS: I am still not swayed by dungeons and open world dragon encounters. I feel like there’s a cognitive dissonance between the game’s design principles and the way these are designed still.

Siqqa, Asura Engineer

When I’m playing WvW I’m really playing LSD.

Posted by: Halo.1064

Halo.1064

My boyfriend pre-purchased it so I did… for him (mostly). My instinct toward new games at this point in my life, after being burned so many times, is always to wait and read the reviews, but he has more trouble with patience than I do

(edited by Halo.1064)

Posted by: The LZ.7891

The LZ.7891

Well like a lot of you, I loved how the game looked. On top of that, NO subscription was also just an amazing feature and I thought that even IF I didn’t play it much, I wanted to support this ideal. Because really, subscription can go to ****.

I had just been playing SWTOR and thus left it, due to not having the time to play. But I also wasn’t so happy about the game…. And due to not having time or the want to play, I eventually cancelled my sub, as it was nagging at my consciousness; I was wasting money.

Then one day, when I was out, I brought some money. I was intending to buy GW2 then. But I couldn’t find it in any of the shops, as it was sold out. I then decided to opt for BattleField 3 Premium. However I was then pointed to a stand dedicated to GW2 which I had missed haha and then got that instead <3.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Played the hell out of GW1. To this day I’ve never put more hours into a video game than GW1 (around 2000 hours).

So I’ve been following GW2’s development closely since it was announced way back in 2007.

It’s for the most part lived up to my expectations.

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

I am sick of the same MMO with a different look being released for the last 8-9 years.

Posted by: Enthusiast.3057

Enthusiast.3057

I bought it because I naively thought it had something to do with Guild Wars.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

I bought it because I naively thought it had something to do with Guild Wars.

It’s very likely that down the road they will add GvG battles. The paid tournaments in the patch coming next week is probably the first step in that process.

Posted by: Fozzik.1742

Fozzik.1742

I followed the game and gathered every available bit of info for about two years prior to launch. It only took a few weeks of research (and seeing those first Gamescom demos) before I started to see what they were doing with the design, and I was hooked. The more I learned and the more I thought about the various systems and how they would work together, the more I felt this game would be great, and a good fit for me. Turned out I was right.

The game turned out to be what I thought it would be, and more. I’m loving it. The genre needed a game like this really badly. Not everyone is going to love it, but some of us have been waiting a very long time for a game like this. I’m glad it’s here, and I hope we see at least some developers move in this new direction with future games.

Posted by: Strelok.3051

Strelok.3051

I liked the original Guild Wars campaigns and wanted to see how the world had changed 250 years later. That’s really all there is to it.

Admittedly I probably wouldn’t have bought the game had they charged a sub fee. I’m pretty glad they stuck with the payment model of the original games.

Posted by: Wintyre Fraust.6534

Wintyre Fraust.6534

The game is designed from the ground up to serve my “world experiencer” (casual) playstyle, not exploit it in order to pay for functionally superior content reserved for hardcore gear-grinders. That’s why I bought it., have invested about $100 in bank expansions, and will continue to play and support it.

Well, that and the art. And the WvW. But without the game-design philosophy, I wouldn’t have bothered.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Here’s my story:

Long ago, in a time far far away…

Seven years ago, I had some colleagues that started talking about this MMO, called Guild Wars. Well, I don’t care about PvP, so I ignored them. But what they said had nothing to do with PvP so, as I some (free, as it was a gift) money to spend, I bought the CE. I had never played any MMO or any online game beside some LAN games. But I was hooked from the first minute on.

Fast forward some years. ANet announced they would make a new Guild Wars game. One that would have an open world. One that would have something called dynamic events. One that would have gathering and crafting. One that you could also play with friends from across the world.
By this time I had a bit more experience with MMO’s, not so much by playing (I did play Aion) but more due to reading. And I had already wondered what the world of Tyria would be if it had been open. And I always wanted to pick those flowers and swim those rivers…. And craft my own stuff instead of giving some stuff to an armour crafter who would do it for me.

So, I waited. And waited. And waited…

I had seen some gameplay videos when they released them. And I started to wonder if it was really a game for me. The more I saw and the more I read, the more I started doubting. Until the GamesCom in Cologne in 2010(?) when they had their first playable demo. I played it.
And fell in love within the first minute after setting foot in Tyria. I felt lost! I wanted to see, feel, taste, hear! It felt good! That demo could be played for 50 minutes and you had to leave the station. I swear, I could only play 5 minutes!

I was hooked all over again. But from this way forward, I didn’t watch youtube, I didn’t read the blogs that were about the game itself. Yet again, I started to doubt. The information that did get my eyes again made me wonder. So much time had passed between that demo and now, a lot of things had been changed, not everything for the good, etc…

But then the press beta arrived earlier this year. And I was invited on a press account. And from that moment on, all my doubts were erased. I knew then, that whatever they’d say and write and show, I’d love this game. That this would be the game for me, a game I could play for a long time. Actually, ever since that second press beta weekend, I started playing Guild Wars less… Nothing else had been able to do that since that September day in 2005, when I bought my first GW CE…

Is the game perfect? No, not by a long shot. There are still a lot of bugs, flaws and missing stuff. But, it’s still great. And that’s good enough for me. I have faith in ANet that they will cut down the bugs, remove the flaws and add the missing stuff. And do more things I can’t even imagine right now.

Posted by: ryndaris.2975

ryndaris.2975

I believed the hype. For several years I was sure that GW2 was going to change everything, that it’s going to be what WoW was (for me, as a personal experience) when it was released. So I pre-purchased in April. Played the BWE’s, kept telling myself the issues I was having with the game were because I only had a couple of days to play and because I knew the characters I was playing were going to be deleted.

Release came around. I enjoyed the game for a total of less than two weeks, then the mind-numbing grind killed all interest. I somehow got my Elementalist to 80, thinking reaching the level-cap was going to change something. After that turned out to be wishful thinking, I thought that maybe the class I had chosen was to blame (only having 1 viable weapon set for the entire game does seem a bit boring, doesn’t it?) and I made a Warrior. Somewhat enjoyed it up to level 40, then the novelty wore off and I realized I was doing the same awful, rewardless grind that is the core of this game.

I sincerely hope I’ll be able to come back to GW2 some day and enjoy it, be it because something in the game changes, or the way I play games changes. I was a fool to believe the hype and if I knew then what I know now, I would have been spared a lot of disappointment.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

I liked GW1, like MMORPGs in general and need some new game from time to time, 40 bucks or whatever the normal version costs in dollars isn´t much money – bought. I do not regret it the least, as I imensely enjoy the game and didn´t expect it to completely rock my world – which apparently a lot of people expected from a computer game. The only downer for me was the release date because I just discovered Secret world and was eager to try it out.

(edited by Algreg.3629)

Posted by: Masher.8051

Masher.8051

I’ll be honest here, i only bought it because i’ve never tried an MMO before and i saw that GW2 would have no sub fee, as soon as i heard about the no sub fee i had always intended to buy the game and try it out. Glad i did, i absolutely love it so far.

Posted by: LanceHavenbay.2067

LanceHavenbay.2067

I bought it because I bought the first one. xD

Posted by: Spawn.7014

Spawn.7014

I bought GW2 becuase i though it would be more like GW1 but open world. the lack of Guild Vs Guild is a slap in the face.

Posted by: domino.4603

domino.4603

I bought Guild Wars 2 because WoW Cataclysm and SWTOR left such a sour taste in my mouth. I had gone 7 months without playing any mmo’s because I was so disappointed in those. Enter GW2. I started seeing beta videos, reading about it’s game play, style etc and thought, this game is for me. It looked so different and it didn’t have a sub, so I figured why not. I pre-ordered a few days before it went live.

To make the story shorter, I now wonder if this is the game for me. I take my time, explore every corner of the map and do as much as possible, yet I am bored. I am no where near max level so there is so much more to do, I just don’t want to do it right now. I played for a little while last week and the game felt dead. I finished up a quest I was working on and there was nobody around, I thought that was a bit odd. I went into the city and it was near empty. There were a handful of players around and there was nothing going on in chat for the hour or so that I was on.

Maybe I was in the wrong place, maybe I was on at the wrong time, but this was the first MMO I had played that didn’t feel like an MMO. As poor as SWTOR was, at least there were people around. I logged out and haven’t logged back in. I just lost the desire to play right now. Maybe that will return soon, time will tell. This isn’t a bad game by any means, it just doesn’t feel like an MMO to me.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Here is my story.

Back in I think 2005-6 I was in an electronics store and I saw GW1.
I thought it was like Dungeon Siege or Diablo so I bought it.
Fell in love with it and played for 7 years.
Then I was completely disillusioned in the MMO market because beyond GW1 and partially Lineage 2, nothing lasted me more than a few weeks.
That’s when I started reading articles of GW2 and realized they were making the MMO of my dreams, and coincidentially it was the sequel of the only online game I got to really enjoy.

It seems like Anet’s tastes and preferences for games is, for some reasons, terribly similar to mine.

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Played a quirky little MMO lite game called Earth Eternal. Loved that darn game. Anthropomorphic characters and tongue-in-cheek sense of humor that pervaded the entire game. Played it throughout the never ending Beta only to have it go belly up.

After that, played Allods, Runes of Magic, DDO…then eventually EQ2 where we stayed for over 3 years before moving to TERA. TERA didn’t last long, however, and we moved back to EQ2. But, I’ve done it all in EQ2. Over and over. 17 toons, done the raiding thing, but running the same end game dungeons and instances over and over for that one super item just isn’t my style. Exploring is my thing and here is a whole new world to explore.

I’d been following GW2 as the next game to try. I purchased it with every intention of playing it and EQ2. But since the game rolled out, I haven’t had the least desire to play EQ2. Too much to do, too much to explore…in my limited game time .

I’ll be here for years.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

(edited by Raf.1078)

Posted by: Logun.2349

Logun.2349

I had my head buried in SWTOR hype, and then eventually the game over the last 3 years. Since SWTOR became a model for just about everything you never want to ever see done again in an MMO, I went looking for something else to scratch that MMO itch.

After researching GW2 a bit I really liked what I was hearing about the open world and how dynamic events would allow us to work together grouped or not.

GW2 just had a number of common sense MMO game mechanics that no one had done before and I had to see how that was going to work out.

Posted by: Cancer.9065

Cancer.9065

Bought GW1 on a whim during a sale (about 2 years before GW2 launch) always wanted to commit to a MMO but subs based gaming simply did not seem reasonable to me. F2P were easy to spot as “traps” after the first few levels so never stay with one more than a couple of days.

GW1 was… different. I didn’t get it… I was coming from D2 and sort of expected a similar experience but of course GW1 is anything but conventional. I got my first toon to max level (20) and quit… I did not get the playstyle and kept dying too “regular” mobs and could not figure why being max level and not even halfway through the storyline.

Yes, this was my lack of research I never really tried to get into the mechanics… I tried to apply my own experiences with other games and of course failed, badly.

Then came the announcement, GW2 was coming: the manifesto and art style got my attention and GW1 were getting rewards for the time they spent there! So I hopped into the calc to check my rewards and….. had a whopping 03/50 points there -__-

So back to GW1 it was (this was about 5 months before launch) and of course this time… I failed even worse.

huh? seriously wth?

So I went into research mode, read about builds, skill synergies, heroes, armor, etc. I joined guru and ask in the forums, the community was very helpful with somebody who was obviously a noob looking for the GW2 rewards, they pointed some of my mistakes, some offer to help me in game and I joined my current guild.

About 3 months later (2 before launch) I had 30/50 HoM rewards and I had started with 1 max level toon, not even with top armor and about 10 plat on my name and ended up with 3 toons max level and some nifty sets of armor.

During this “journey” I learned about Anet’s philosophy, GW lore and its community… Guess what I’m saying is that I came for the flashy trailers and hype but I’m staying because I know that Anet will deliver on a solid gaming experience, I know the GW community is great and I know that I can’t apply conventional gaming experiences to Anet’s games, so I don’t feel discouraged when I “don’t get it”.

Cancer is also a Zodiac sign.

Posted by: Blueroseknight.7954

Blueroseknight.7954

I bought it for the personal story. Honestly I am fairly disappointed.

Posted by: Xeres.3724

Xeres.3724

Mostly because I wanted something different / new.

When I first heard about this game I wasn’t interested. I was playing WOW and raiding and enjoying that. Come this past November I was tired of WOW. I had been playing that game since launch. Fortunately, TOR was being released in a month. I played in that beta and enjoyed it. So after TOR was released I cancelled WOW.

TOR held my interest for about 6 months. I canceled that and decided to give this a try when it was released. Kinda like, “why not?” I’d never played GW1 so didn’t know really much about either game at all. I think that my lack of knowledge of anything Guild Wars turned out to be good – I had no expectations about this game when it was released. I was just hoping I’d like it kinda.

Well I like it a lot. It’s been a pleasant surprise.

Posted by: Cortechs.3265

Cortechs.3265

• No loot squabbling or treadmill
  • DEs
  • cooperative design (shared nodes, mob exp, drops, etc)
  • WvWvW

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

I always loved Guild Wars 1, but I had this problem that the instancing meant I couldn’ run around and meet other players in the world, and I got tired of havin’ ta drag a party of NPCs with me everywhere I went. I said to myself, “self,” I said, “this game would be perfect if I could jus’ play it with one character, an’ the world was open; oh, and they had better items.”

Then, along comes the announcement for GW2 and I said “hurrah!”, then they talked about the changes and I said, “hurrah!”, then they told me how they were gonna fix problems that make for griefing in other games and I double “harrahed”.

Then, five long years ah teasing happened and one day they announced the pre-purchase offer and before I could worry about it too much sixty bucks vanished from me wallet; and I haven’t looked back since.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Posted by: TrickSmartly.7391

TrickSmartly.7391

the epic level hype train that it came with. Marketing > production.

Posted by: Zii The Mad.2563

Zii The Mad.2563

I bought it because I thought it was Guild Wars 2, not “another MMO with Guild Wars lore”.

Learned my lesson I suppose.

Posted by: Calavera.1086

Calavera.1086

Because it’s awesome.

Posted by: Calavera.1086

Calavera.1086

Elaborating:

- No loot/kill/harvest steal
- Dynamic events
- WvW (that I still haven’t touched)
- No sub fee

Posted by: BobJoeXXI.2493

BobJoeXXI.2493

I bought because it was overhyped.

Apicharr Science [ASci] – Maguuma
80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Warrior, 80 Mesmer, 80 Engineer.

Posted by: Mondy of War.8964

Mondy of War.8964

I bought GW2 to give MMOs a chance to change my perception of them, and it worked for the most part. I used to look at MMOs as shameless money grabs from developers who weren’t matching the dollar value versus content. Obviously, GW2 doesn’t have this problem.

Secondly, I was very disenchanted by the sometimes extremely hostile and antagonistic nature of some MMO players. Granted, GW2 DOES have this, but it is good to see that, due to the strong community cooperation the mechanics demand, that sort of behaviour is mostly frowned upon.

Posted by: Snores.7806

Snores.7806

1- No subs
2- RvR
3- Had a spare 60 bucks a kitten all else to do

Pretty happy with it so far, need to get guilded, Lvl capped, then I’ll sell my soul to WvW

Posted by: linuxfueled.6198

linuxfueled.6198

Word of mouth… awesome game and I’m looking forward to an expansion

Posted by: byolith.8160

byolith.8160

Because TERA sadly died.

:: Gandara ::
- Rhéidyn :: Thief

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

I played GW1 through all its expansions. So I guess it was just natural progression of the product line I’ve liked so much. While quite diferent from GW1 I’m have a lot of fun with GW2.

No regrets at all.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: Nismu.4019

Nismu.4019

I liked the first gw a lot and since gw2 was fixing the problems i didn’t like it (like open world) and didn’t have subscription i knew it was worth the price. also all the videos in youtube i saw from it were promising.

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

I played GW1, enjoyed it. Specifically, I heard about GW2, THEN got GW1.

Posted by: bojangles.6912

bojangles.6912

I bought the game because it was a hyped mmo and free monthly so if I got bored then it would be ok and I can play again whenever I wanted to. Got bored pretty quickly unfortunately though but like I said, if I get the urge to try it out again or once they add new things then I can always come back and play without re-activating an account and not have to pay.

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

I’ve always been fascinated by MMOs and always been disgusted by how they were implemented with their tedious timesinks and poor gameplay.

WoW was the first reasonably polished MMO I tried (and probably the first reasonably polished MMO ever made) but even it grew tedious. I’ve tried other MMOs and they all ended up becoming annoying timesinks that were not worth the time.

Then I read the Design Manifesto (the blog not the video) and there was so much that made so much sense that I knew I had to follow the game. And more I followed it, the more I wanted to play it.

Now that the game released I can see ArenaNet is delivering on their promises which is a nice change from the past MMO I’ve followed. I find I’m truly having fun playing the game and that’s also a nice change from past MMO’s I’ve followed.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

Posted by: Winterclaw.4273

Winterclaw.4273

Why do people buy lottery tickets or go to vegas?

You pay $60. If you win, you get a game you really like. If not, that’s life. Live and learn.

Wark

My Blog

Posted by: Mikki.5370

Mikki.5370

I thought it was the next big thing when it comes to MMO games. I was very wrong, quests in this game are generally more boring that most MMOs, only interesting quests were the story ones. WoW quests are more fun. Dynamic Events are little more than WoW daily quests without the need to pick up the quests or hand em in, that’s done automatically. The only thing this game has going for it is no monthly subscription fees, but then again there are more fun F2P games.

Bots seem to like this game at least, never seen as many bots in an MMO ever before. Btw that’s why the servers are still high population, because of bots. Most real players have long quit and gone back to more interesting games.

Posted by: Snarky Snarf.8463

Snarky Snarf.8463

I got it for the sexy charr ladies. JK. I got it because I enjoyed GW1, thought it wasn’t my favorite game. I purposefully ignored info on anything dealing with gameplay for a long time and focused on lore. I got into the beta without buying the game because i was downloading an update for my graphics card. Really liked playing the game, even though I only got to play it a little. We sold our we to gamestop and got a lot of points from it and the game and used those points to buy hardrive for my brother’s xbox 360. We had quite a bit left over so I got me a copy of this game. WOO. I was afraid i was going to have to wait until I got a job! Love the game. Greatly improved upon the first Guild Wars, which I could never keep playing for hours and hours and hours like i can with this one. Will buy expansions, even though I may not even be done with all the content in the game by the time they come out!
tl;dr I got this game because i herd they had dance parties.