Why didn't they remove warp costs too?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Unloveableone.6082

Unloveableone.6082

Is there a reason you can’t afford such a small fee to travel…?
It’s like a few silver at most >.>

Posted by: FLiP.7680

FLiP.7680

I didn’t like that they removed the repair cost. Now ppl will care even less if they die. -.-
If wp cost is removed then they won’t penalise the player for being unresponsible and don’t pay attention to what can kill em.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Because the Asura designed them. It’s their technology and there is a for use fee. And because you are a Bookah.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

They remove almost all exploration costs but they don’t remove warp costs? What’s the deal with that?

So they don’t spoil you too much. And because Kiel hates you and Evon loves you.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

Because the Asura designed them. It’s their technology and there is a for use fee. And because you are a Bookah.

Lol, you totally beat me to it.

Posted by: notabot.3497

notabot.3497

They still need gold sinks in the game. The gold inflation is still pretty severe.

Posted by: Acinonyx Rex.8609

Acinonyx Rex.8609

Yes the game needs some gold sinks, but i think they could be more balanced. Armor repair is very frequent in PvP or WvW, but less common on PvE. On the other hand, there is no waypoint cost in PvP or WvW, but is very present in PvE.
Events and Champ bags nerfing hurts everyone (PvE and WvW) but Gold sinks remains only on PvE…

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

Because that would actually help us unlike the armor removal costs. :P /sarcasm

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

Because it was just an excuse to nerf gold from events and from champ bags, mostly to deter champ trains. No one has usually got to repair in doing those, but they always include waypoints to use. Thus, a nerf upon their gainings.

Posted by: Beorn Saxon.4762

Beorn Saxon.4762

They still need gold sinks.

Armor repair mostly affected new players, and they don’t have much gold to start with.

WP fees mostly affect veteran players, as we have unlocked the map, and we have gold enough to afford it.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

A few silver is no small fee. I can’t even count how many times I have died and was forced to log out and back in as I did not have the silver to revive at a waypoint. And don’t even say “but the nearest waypoint is free when you die.” It’s not free if the nearest waypoint is contested and you are forced to choose a waypoint farther away.

I’ve stopped using waypoints. I now walk (yes, I walk. I don’t run.) from zone to zone and forsake all forms of fast travel whenever possible.

Posted by: piano man.1672

piano man.1672

It’s a small fee, why would it be that important. o.o

Kharros 80 Warr | Dead on Revival 80 Necro | Yoxx 80 Guard | Khoton 80 Thief | Thera Majere 80 Ele

Posted by: Neumonics.4603

Neumonics.4603

I dont mind the fee, but i do think its odd.

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

moving 10 toons around farming my daily mats on each, doing all meta events after reset. Rarely spend less than 2g some days over 3g when I play longer on wp alone. I would much rather they remove wp cost than armor repair. Of course I’m lazy so don’t walk much, time is money. I would believe there are those who farm far more than I do in similar fashion. I would think they spend at least that amount as well.

Anet knows full well people spend more on wp than they do on armor repair. Which is why it hasn’t been removed.

(edited by danielrjones.8759)

Astral Projections.7320

A few silver is no small fee. I can’t even count how many times I have died and was forced to log out and back in as I did not have the silver to revive at a waypoint. And don’t even say “but the nearest waypoint is free when you die.” It’s not free if the nearest waypoint is contested and you are forced to choose a waypoint farther away.

I’ve stopped using waypoints. I now walk (yes, I walk. I don’t run.) from zone to zone and forsake all forms of fast travel whenever possible.

Question. I thought if you died and logged out, you would still be dead when you logged back in. One time my warrior died and I logged out. She was still dead when I logged back in the next day. (She fell off a cliff in the Straits of Devastation, surrounded by contested waypoints). >.> Unless it’s because you don’t even have one silver in your account?

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Because it was just an excuse to nerf gold from events and from champ bags, mostly to deter champ trains. No one has usually got to repair in doing those, but they always include waypoints to use. Thus, a nerf upon their gainings.

Bingo.

Another side note, though: Some say that people will get careless if they don’t have to pay to repair their armor, and die more often. That may be true, but that will result in them using the waypoints more often to get back to where they died. Stupidity is a gold sink.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Way pointing is a HUGE, HUGE gold sink…in order to remove the cost, they would after nerf loot/rewards across the entire game by 20%+ to compensate…

Honestly, I prefer they keep repair costs and way pointing, rather than nerf loot.

Elbegast.6970

Question. I thought if you died and logged out, you would still be dead when you logged back in. One time my warrior died and I logged out. She was still dead when I logged back in the next day. (She fell off a cliff in the Straits of Devastation, surrounded by contested waypoints). >.> Unless it’s because you don’t even have one silver in your account?

I die and can’t WP because I’m too poor to pay and the nearest WP is contested. I log out, log back in and am very much alive and standing in my racial capital city. Often, I have only copper and nothing more in my wallet. I don’t know the game mechanics involved but I do know that it works. I’ve done it numerous times as I had no other choice but to sit and wait indefinitely for some player to come along and revive me.

Posted by: La Goanna.8142

La Goanna.8142

For all we know, WP costs may be removed in one of the upcoming Facilitating Friendly Play updates.

Astral Projections.7320

I die and can’t WP because I’m too poor to pay and the nearest WP is contested. I log out, log back in and am very much alive and standing in my racial capital city. Often, I have only copper and nothing more in my wallet. I don’t know the game mechanics involved but I do know that it works. I’ve done it numerous times as I had no other choice but to sit and wait indefinitely for some player to come along and revive me.

I see. It must be one of the game mechanics to let you log back in alive if you don’t even have enough to pay for a waypoint in your account. Maybe keep enough for a few waypoints in your account, maybe one gold, or ask a guildie for a loan instead of the long run or waiting for a helpful stranger is an option? It’s hard to believe that there is someone who has played the game for very long and has made only a few copper. If your money is tied up in the trading post for example, your decision to not even have 10 silver for daily expenses in inventory is a decision, not a problem with the game mechanics.

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

@Palador.2170 “Stupidity is a gold sink.”

Best line I read in weeks, love it.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

As I mention in this other thread:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Patch-will-again-hurt-players-for-Exploring/

My only problem with waypoints is that they always count the cost from where you are.

They should count the cost from what’s cheaper between where you are and the closest free waypoint.

What’s a free waypoint? Any waypoint you can reach from any place free to visit:
- The Hall of Monuments.
- All cities (for now not including LA).
- And, for now, also the orders and fort trinity.

This means that if you want to waypoint from Fields of Ruin to Shaemoor, the cost should be the same as if you travel to the Heart of the Mists or the Mist War, then travel to the Vigil HQ using the LA asura portal, then use the Divinitys Reach portal, then use the free Dwayna waypoint, then use the Shaemoor waypoint, because the Dwayna waypoint is free, an it’s closer than you to Shaemoor.

That is, if there’s a free waypoint closer than where you are, the price should be counted from there instead.

Instead, it counts the entire distance from where you are to the point. So if you want to save coin, you have to go through several loading screens, which might mean you’ll make people wait. And it’s not their fault that you are stingy and/or poor.

That’s the only fault in the system right now.

I don’t see the need to remove waypoint costs, but they should consider where the closest ‘free teleport’ is, not just your location.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

I die and can’t WP because I’m too poor to pay and the nearest WP is contested.

How do you manage to have so little money?

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

They remove almost all exploration costs but they don’t remove warp costs? What’s the deal with that?

Because if they remove waypoint costs then we have a HUGE problem regarding inflation. 2-4s each time doesn’t seem like much. But if those millions of players are allowed to keep their gold because waypoint costing has been removed, well…. expect to pay a lot more for your materials in the future. Inflation is bound to happen at a rapid speed. I’m talking 1g+ vials of powerful bloods and other t6 mats.

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

why do ppl think that when a player dies it means the player was careless?
there is something called a situation out of your control, when you are faced with an overwhelming force, your PC lag’s/keyboard reacts slow or a bug causes your dead
it’s a bigger punishment then you think.

Posted by: EmoDevo.3209

EmoDevo.3209

I kinda wish it was free to waypoint to any city kinda like map travel in GW1. Yes, I know you can do that whole Heart of the Mists to LA to other cities for free, but multiple loading screens is incredibly mind-numbing that I actually pay the cost rather than using the free method.

Elbegast.6970

I see. It must be one of the game mechanics to let you log back in alive if you don’t even have enough to pay for a waypoint in your account. Maybe keep enough for a few waypoints in your account, maybe one gold, or ask a guildie for a loan instead of the long run or waiting for a helpful stranger is an option? It’s hard to believe that there is someone who has played the game for very long and has made only a few copper. If your money is tied up in the trading post for example, your decision to not even have 10 silver for daily expenses in inventory is a decision, not a problem with the game mechanics.

I don’t join guilds. I don’t run fractals or other group dungeons. I spend most of my game time wandering aimlessly around Tyria, living in the moment.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

They still need gold sinks in the game. The gold inflation is still pretty severe.

Gems shop items are a better gold sink and they can improve them.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Astral Projections.7320

I don’t join guilds. I don’t run fractals or other group dungeons. I spend most of my game time wandering aimlessly around Tyria, living in the moment.

I see that you have been posting on the forum for 11 months now. I assume you have been playing at least some of this time. In all the time you’ve been playing you still don’t have more than a few copper in inventory? You don’t harvest anything? Sell the loot from kills? I don’t run fractals or dungeons either and I’m not so dirt poor that I can’t afford a waypoint. Just selling the drops is more than sufficient to pay for daily expenses. I’m sorry, but your story so far isn’t making sense to me.

If you are playing but not harvesting to recoup expenses or selling loot, then that’s a decision you made, not a problem with the game mechanics.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Because that gold sink actually works. It encourages you to make a choice between spending time logged in experiencing the world or burning some accumulated wealth for convenience. COMPLETELY different proposition from the gold sinks that are being removed.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Because that gold sink actually works. It encourages you to make a choice between spending time logged in experiencing the world or burning some accumulated wealth for convenience. COMPLETELY different proposition from the gold sinks that are being removed.

It also discourage exploring PvE world and encourage Dungeon and Champ farm grind.

PvE world is unrewarding AND costly.

Dungeons/champ farm are rewarding AND not costly.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

I didn’t like that they removed the repair cost. Now ppl will care even less if they die. -.-
If wp cost is removed then they won’t penalise the player for being unresponsible and don’t pay attention to what can kill em.

Yeah I always think to myself "oh kitten ! now I have to pay to repair my armor now that I’m dead! " except not..it was a trivial fee and removing costs mean almost nothing.

And it’s not like you always die due to your own fault. Sometimes a single member in a group can screw things up and result in a wipe, a simple lapse, or in most usual case, the lag. Lag has got me killed more then anything..

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Evon only has so much money and it’s not like Kiel is helping out with this.

Posted by: Duke Darkwood.4237

Duke Darkwood.4237

So they don’t spoil you too much. And because Kiel hates you and Evon loves you.

Apparently, Kiel hates us so much, she revives us when we are downed.
And Evon loves us so much, he doesn’t even acknowledge our efforts for his city.

To the topic at hand: They need to keep SOME gold sinks, or else TP prices will inflate because the people good at getting money will have more and more because they have less to spend it on.

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

This is what the game is about to become:

Hello, and welcome to the Pokémon Center Repair NPC.
We restore your tired Pokémon broken armor to full health good condition.
Would you like to rest your Pokémon repair your armor?

OK, I’ll take your Pokémon armor for a few seconds.

Thank you for waiting.
We’ve restored your Pokémon armor to full health good condition.
Please, come back again any time!

We would like to have HM02-Fly free waypoint cost too.

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

This. But more importantly, the fee encourages you to run and view the landscape and perhaps explore something new.

If there where no fee it would take some enjoyment out of the game for me. The fee is also very small, so why bother complaining about it.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

lol. The one game that gives you unlimited, instant teleportation to almost anywhere in the world, from absolutely anywhere in the world, and there’s a problem with it costing some pocket change?

Acinonyx Rex.8609

This. But more importantly, the fee encourages you to run and view the landscape and perhaps explore something new.

If there where no fee it would take some enjoyment out of the game for me. The fee is also very small, so why bother complaining about it.

I have a good news for you, if one day they remove that fee, you can send it to me by mail, i’ll accept all your silvers to help you keep enjoying the game.

I would prefer a huge tax on TP, which could benefit a lot to enconomy, than a tax on people traveling to help friends….

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

I have a good news for you, if one day they remove that fee, you can send it to me by mail, i’ll accept all your silvers to help you keep enjoying the game.

I would prefer a huge tax on TP, which could benefit a lot to enconomy, than a tax on people traveling to help friends….

There is a huge tax on the tp.

Acinonyx Rex.8609

There is a huge tax on the tp.

The tax allows speculation on too much items, so the tax needs to be increased… Speculation is what hurts economy, not players travelling.

Tax could rise when you buy more than a stack (250) of an item

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I suspect the reason why armor repairs were removed and waypoint travel left in is because of the following:

New players are much more prone to dying since they’re still learning the mechanics, while veteran players can go for weeks (possibly months if they don’t WvW) without a single death. Furthermore, veteran players are more likely to have amassed a small stockpile of Repair Canisters from AP chests and BLC’s, and thus just wait until their first broken armor piece before using a canister. I myself have not repaired my armor for coin in well over 4 months now.

In contrast, waypoints are used much more frequently, and veteran players who map hop for dungeons, world boss farming etc. are much more likely to be able to absorb the costs without any problems.

As such, armor repairs is probably a much less successful gold sink than waypoints, and it hit newer players a lot harder. It therefore made more sense to remove armor repair costs as a way to encourage players to be more daring in dungeons/WvW.

Posted by: fictitiousacct.1782

fictitiousacct.1782

Well, without a gold sink in a game, you’d start seeing outrageous prices for simple items due to money only being created, and not being destroyed or removed. Think about the next time you buy something off the tp, except prices are 10 times more expensive. As mentioned before, armor repairs were rarely being used and not as effective as a gold sink, compared to waypoint fees.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

lol. The one game that gives you unlimited, instant teleportation to almost anywhere in the world, from absolutely anywhere in the world, and there’s a problem with it costing some pocket change?

First World Guildwars Problems…
In other games people grind their butts off to buy a mount that goes 5% faster and people are complaining that they have to pay a small fee to OPTIONALLY teleport very near any spot on the map.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

(edited by Substance E.4852)

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

They still need gold sinks.

Armor repair mostly affected new players, and they don’t have much gold to start with.

WP fees mostly affect veteran players, as we have unlocked the map, and we have gold enough to afford it.

Armor repair cost scaled appropriately and was ultimately a non-issue.

The real reason was stated by ANet in their post…. “With the China launch coming up, there is no better time than now for us to improve the economy of the game.”

aka…Grind more. No Really.

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

I even think they should increase it. A lv80 should pay 10 silver for travaling all across the map. Right now it’s about 4 silver. There have to be multiple mechanics to destroy money. Like the trading post does. I mean really, every legendary sold destroys 200 gold xD Image that!

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

sorudo.9054

GW1 still smiles and thinks “you can travel anywhere for free yet it was never a problem”

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The simple reason that the warp costs weren’t removed was the armor repair costs was a double penalty. Armor still gets damaged, it will still eventually need repair, just that it won’t cost you money as well as time.

On the other hand waypoints are a time savings device. Now that’s something you charge for.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Substance E.4852

GW1 still smiles and thinks “you can travel anywhere for free yet it was never a problem”

Yes, and the only reason that game never had inflation problems is because every item was worth barely anything when you sold them to merchants combined with the relatively low drop rate of gear when in a group of 8. The flow of cash into the economy was insanely slow for a game with hardly any gold sink to speak of.

TP taxes probably nuke more money than all other system combined but the teleport fee helps.

sorudo.9054

Yes, and the only reason that game never had inflation problems is because every item was worth barely anything when you sold them to merchants combined with the relatively low drop rate of gear when in a group of 8. The flow of cash into the economy was insanely slow for a game with hardly any gold sink to speak of.

TP taxes probably nuke more money than all other system combined but the teleport fee helps.

lol, you really think ppl sold things to merch’s?
most are sold to other players with a huge price tag attached to it, just look for an armbrace and ask again how low the inflation is……you need 30 ecto’s for just one of them and ecto’s cost about 12K (as far as my memory remembers)

Substance E.4852

lol, you really think ppl sold things to merch’s?
most are sold to other players with a huge price tag attached to it, just look for an armbrace and ask again how low the inflation is……you need 30 ecto’s for just one of them and ecto’s cost about 12K (as far as my memory remembers)

How is that inflation? Armbraces had insane prices from day 1 and hardly ever changed even when people got really good at farming them. They didn’t start low and climb up from there.