Why do bosses have so much health?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: zetherin.8372

zetherin.8372

One of my friends and I were having a discussion about what we liked and didn’t like about the game. He was basically saying that he’s gonna take a break, while I was still loving it. However, there’s one thing I couldn’t help but agree with and that is that the enemies, especially bosses have way way way too much health.

The one thing I just can’t stand in this game is that the dungeons are not hard because of difficulty, but are hard because of the amount of endurance it requires to complete one. I try to go through a dungeon, but they all seem to take about 5 hours with PUGs.

I’m sure nobody needs an example but here’s one anyway: I’m running through SE with a PUG and we make it all the way to Kudu in about an hour. That was pretty sweet, got some more lore about Destiny’s Edge and I love lore, and things were going great. But then when it came time to fight him, at every 25% health decrement, he’d summon a golem. The first golem took about 25 minutes to kill.. the second one took 3x as long because I was the only one in the group that didn’t die every 10 seconds to his insane damage. The third one rolled around and consumed about 90 minutes because it reset 3 times. That’s an hour and a half for just this bosses spawn…

All that effort and my night was gone. A great many different shades of anger were boiling inside of me as I’d just spent like 4 hours doing a dungeon that we ended up having to abandon because of time constraints. It seems like the only problem is that the bosses have about 10 trillion ****ing health (I might be underestimating by a few trillion – haven’t really done the math). You know what else is funny, these bosses weren’t even legendary or whatever the purple outline of their portrait means. They were only champions.

The story is awesome, and I love this game so much, but I don’t know how I can do any of these dungeons when they take this outrageously long. I also love the idea of challenging gameplay but as previously mentioned this is not challenging because of difficulty. I don’t know how many avid video gamers are like me and have back pains from playing for extended periods of time, but this certainly is agonizingly painful by the time I finally finish it. Maybe I just suck or the PUGs I play with just suck.. idk.. but what I know is that I shouldn’t have to devote an entire night to doing just one dungeon.

Posted by: Guattanator.1524

Guattanator.1524

I do have to admit some bosses have a bit more health than seems necessary. I’d be fine with this if there weren’t occasions when the bosses could glitch out and think you pulled them too far or something and just go invincible while they regenerate 50% of their HP back after 5~20 minutes of fighting. Though I do like drawn out battles, I don’t like it when they are artificially drawn out due to bugs and glitches, especially since if one happens it usually starts the bosses off at “phase 1” if they have multiple “phases.” Granted if they didn’t glitch out I’d probably not have any problem with bosses having loads of health.

Posted by: Dead.7385

Dead.7385

Ahh your still on Story Mode. Just wait until you get to easy Explorable mode runs in about 30 minutes.

HP are quite a big thing though and on certain bosses (Puts eyes on HoTW Plunder Quaggans) can be too much. HoTW EM bosses have huge HP, and even with that a good group can do Butcher in 25-30 mins.

Posted by: Shaliphi.5291

Shaliphi.5291

simple reason……. because there bosses. There not meant to be easy lol.

Posted by: Dead.7385

Dead.7385

simple reason……. because there bosses. There not meant to be easy lol.

A large majority of HP sponges I mentioned are mobs poorly designed with lots of hp. A good example is Giganticus as it will go through 3 unique phases making a long fight seem less tedious. A bad example is HoTW butcher which has the mob repeat the same attacks for roughly 10 minutes as you mindlessly beat on them. Or even better yet the golem from CoE who offers no reward other than to slow you down.

Or even the dogs from Plunder path in HoTW: Two HIGH hp mobs that are insanely easy. One charges + lays down frost. The other fears + adds. You don’t even fight them at the same time which would be difficult. Its just one Vex Thall mob after another.

Posted by: Shaliphi.5291

Shaliphi.5291

^^ ill give you that one lol:) BUT… this might be because anet expected more people questing / DE/ Exploring together to make it not sooooooo ridiculous to kill them

Posted by: Lorana.2468

Lorana.2468

it’s because artificial difficulty is much easier to design than real difficulty.

slap 5 million hp on it, give it maybe 2-4 attacks and call it a “boss”.

a good example is the first boss in HotW exp Zealot path, all you do is kite, thats it, thats the whole fight, you kite for about 8 minutes running up and down the stairs.

Posted by: Xenite.7418

Xenite.7418

They have crossed the realm of challenging into ridiculous when it comes to “bosses” on many occasions.

Even the quick event mini-bosses (for lack of a better word) are fairly lame. Kite something around for 20 minutes and get no reward. Sorry but it’s just not worth the hassle for a pittance of karma.

Posted by: SoulTrain.2157

SoulTrain.2157

i have to agree with the hp’s thing. even when theres like 20 people fighting something and it takes so long. i keep thinking to myself yeah yeah i get it already. take about half the hp’s off stuff so when i get old and looking back on my life wondering where did it all go i wont remember the hours of it wasted attacking bosses in gw2 when that time coulda been spent on something else. loving the game, but i will agree on this.

Posted by: Okamifujutsu.1458

Okamifujutsu.1458

I’ve noticed this with a Centaur event chain, forget the name of the area, that ends with you fighting a single boss. There’s usually 20~25 players all targeting one enemy that barely has a chance to fight back, and it goes on for about 10 minutes. There’s no challenge whatsoever, it’s just spamming all your skills and waiting for his wall of health to slowly disappear.

Posted by: Rising Vengeance.2768

Rising Vengeance.2768

i dont mind a single boss having a very high hp. but having so many smaller bosses and monsters along the way that have very high hp is just time wasting and not fun.

Posted by: Phasmophobia.5398

Phasmophobia.5398

My guild and I just talked about this. Fights are only fun until you get control of the encounter, once that is done the boss should either die shortly after or change phases.

Sometimes when we have a boss backed in a corner I feel like we’re jumping him for his lunch money. 10 minutes of him in a corner getting his kitten kicked out.

Future boss fights need to have better mechanics and less HP.

Posted by: Amen.2630

Amen.2630

in CoE Story we practicly were just standing around and kite the bosses on autoattac, couse its SO LAME and BORING its not a challenge if it just takes LONGER of this crazy amount of HP, i absolutly agree, they could reduce it to a reasonable manner, so unimportant and extra bosses with no rewards dont eat our time

Posted by: Buckie.6251

Buckie.6251

Guess no one here played FFXI >.> Plenty of bosses took hours to kill not because they were hard but because of the insane health pool and the way the fight had to be done.. 1 boss even had a game report on it as it caused some ppl in a guild to actually get sick xD Long boss fights are fine, they’re bosses for a reason. Fixing the bugs is all that needs to be done imo.

And if your curious about the boss in ffxi here a link to the report lol http://www.destructoid.com/final-fantasy-xi-boss-causes-vomiting-takes-18-hours-to-beat-99391.phtml

Posted by: Satakal.6971

Satakal.6971

GW2 could halve the level of health of legendary bosses and it would not make them any easier, but it would make them less boring. There are bosses where i have two, sometimes three chances to pop an elite (180 sec CD). Quite honestly If the group survived 180 seconds there is no need to prolong the fight any longer because the group has obviously overcome the challenge of it.

Posted by: Dice Dragon.4326

Dice Dragon.4326

"

i dont mind a single boss having a very high hp. but having so many smaller bosses and monsters along the way that have very high hp is just time wasting and not fun."

this to the maximum, the scale is stupid. Bosses are so much easier then the 6 dudes you fight before them, cause the 6 guys have kitten amounts of HP as well, but there is so many of them it makes it a zerg die and get back up fest, and thats not fun at all. The bosses are fun, they take a while yes, but the trash mobs have 1 attack that does super damage, thats all they do, takes forever to get past them with pugs.

Posted by: Luisedgm.2375

Luisedgm.2375

Boss fights should last no more than 5 minutes, i find it insulting to have to sit my engineer and throw grenades at a boss for whole 10 minutes having “dodge the red circle” being the only challenge in the fight.

Bosses should be fast, have multiple attacks dont just rotate them in the same order all the time, huge health pools are lazy design, the boring bosses are the major flaw of this game and need adressing now!

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

Longer fights aren’t harder in a game with no mana-management. Not more fun. Not more challenging. Just longer.

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

and yet mana management is yet another lame archaic time wasting strategy designed to slow down the fights and it’s another money think.

Bosses are not that hard in this game, if you play it properly !
most dungeons except for certain paths in Arah and CoE can be done in less than 30 minutes.

Leutenant mobs go down in seconds.
champions go down in mere minutes.
legendary Bosses can be taken down in 10-15 minutes or so.

If anything I’d say the Bosses HP seems to large only when playing the game the wrong way.

I used to think the same as you lot, till I started to adapt to how this game is meant to played and stopped trying to play it like a traditional mmorpg.

Dice Dragon.4326

“and yet mana management is yet another lame archaic time wasting strategy designed to slow down the fights and it’s another money think.

Bosses are not that hard in this game, if you play it properly !
most dungeons except for certain paths in Arah and CoE can be done in less than 30 minutes.

Leutenant mobs go down in seconds.
champions go down in mere minutes.
legendary Bosses can be taken down in 10-15 minutes or so.

If anything I’d say the Bosses HP seems to large only when playing the game the wrong way.

I used to think the same as you lot, till I started to adapt to how this game is meant to played and stopped trying to play it like a traditional mmorpg."

Do you run with pugs? Cause the only people who say this have guilds. And yeah of course guildies will make your life easy peasy, but what about us who go with pugs?

Also can you clarify how I can make my dungeon runs cleaner even with pugs? how am I “supposed” to play this game.

Posted by: draylore.2837

draylore.2837

Because in GW2 high health is about the the only thing that makes them ‘bosses’.

Posted by: vjek.4270

vjek.4270

No innovation.

Innovation would be bosses that are smart. And by smart I mean better scripting rather than the default “1,2,3” most of them have.
They’ve also fallen into the same trap as all other MMO’s made since 2005, namely: One-shot kills, instant mob respawns, and more hit points = more challenge. All horrific mechanics that players despise, and with good reason; they’re not fun.

GW2 PvE tactics come down to this:
-kite (cripple/chill/immobilize)
-dodge twice
-death zerg

And they will be that and only that until ArenaNet shuts down the servers or makes a fundamental and global change to all combat.

Without predictable threat, anything else is impossible. Without roles that can actually stand in front of a mob for more than 8 seconds and not lose >75% of their health, you can’t have variety, depth, or real teamwork. Heck, in the past week I’ve seen three boss fights where the boss slides, stiff-legged, over the landscape. They don’t even have a crippled animation for it. Lame!

Even their current combo system is a gimmick as durations of combo fields are too short to have a meaningful effect on the outcome of a battle, condition durations are too short and/or condition damage and ancillary effects are too weak. Combo fields do not increase damage on their own, they simply apply effects. If they offered a damage multiplier or crit chance/multiplier, they would be tactical instead of gimmicks.

They have painted themselves into a very small corner with their so-called “innovative” combat system, which is nothing more than what EQ1 & DDO have, without the variety and freedom of both.

And to those that have never played against a good MOB AI, the Reaper Bot for Quake1 is open source and available to anyone that would care to try. Personally, at it’s best, one on one, I’ve never seen anyone beat the Reaper Bot on Skill level 3, and that was back in 1996.

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

it’s because artificial difficulty is much easier to design than real difficulty.

slap 5 million hp on it, give it maybe 2-4 attacks and call it a “boss”.

Pretty much.

Although for my gang, we usually find the bosses easier than some of the trash.

Posted by: Cinaed.2649

Cinaed.2649

I used to play FFXI. The bosses were stupidly hard with HP in the millions. But they also had tactics and only a guild (yes, you had to be a guild) with the most meticulous planning and gear could possibly hope to stand a chance. Strategy & tactics were a razor’s edge between victory and wipe-en-masse. And in that game, unlike GW2, dying meant losing XP and possibly de-leveling, which could also mean your armor and weapons are now “too high” for your level, causing you to be stripped of them, in the dungeon. This made the game VERY HARD, but also adding the strategy, tactics of teamwork + the risk of failure to = rewarding, thrilling fights that you had your “life” on the line for.

Posted by: Clem.2963

Clem.2963

Some bosses do have stupidly high HP. The annoying thing is; it doesn’t make them harder, it just draws the fight out and makes some boss fights incredibly boring.

Posted by: Animus.6073

Animus.6073

People are still learning how to play. That is why it feels like bosses have too much health and dungeons require abnormally large amounts of time. I am sorry to say but the groups you have been running with are just full of people who don’t understand how to maximize, or at least efficiently play their professions.

I’ve never had a dungeon take more than an hour and a half, and that was my first run through AC. People were learning the mechanics of dungeons and their characters. At level 80, you really should have a firm grasp of how to complete dungeons effectively. If you find yourself in a group that is taking longer than an hour for any given path, you should probably leave.

I was in a group for exp AC yesterday with all 80’s and they were getting downed on Kohler and Howling King…it is abysmal. Not to say that you don’t have your fair share of bad players in WoW, but back when I was playing people got kicked if they were that bad. It is a shame that there is no way to measure the value of specific players in your group, not to stroke egos but to know where your strong points and weak links are.

TL;DR: Dungeons are becoming easier and easier the more people learn how to play. This is a serious L2P issue. I don’t necessarily mean it in a bad way, but bads will be bads.

Posted by: arjeidi.2690

arjeidi.2690

Why so much HP? This is how ArenaNet does things. GW1 was the same way. What made bosses so tough? They simply had a lot more HP and they did double damage (maybe more?) Otherwise, they were the same as regular mobs for the most part.

Posted by: Alexander.4827

Alexander.4827

This is one area where I agree for sure. When watching the idea of the game unfold before release I kept hoping for the article that would talk about how they wouldn’t use fat pools of health to simulate challenge. It never came and then I played and was disheartened when I encountered it.

I was hoping the strategic style combat would mean a boss fight would be a fight with a smarter than average NPC with maybe twice the normal health who would use skills and counters to avoid damage. They would deal greater amounts of damage with less predictable patterns requiring players to be on the defensive with would also lengthen the battle.

However Guild Wars (one and two) both have come to closest to this idea so far.

GW1 was the same way. What made bosses so tough? They simply had a lot more HP..

I would disagree there particularly towards the end. Enemies knew exactly when to interrupt me, strip my enchantments, apply conditions, attack the weakest link and spread out. Boss enemies would have even more counters. In prophecies not so much but with each new content update combat became more evolved and complicated. I’m hoping it will be similar for GW2.

(edited by Alexander.4827)

Dice Dragon.4326

“TL;DR: Dungeons are becoming easier and easier the more people learn how to play. This is a serious L2P issue. I don’t necessarily mean it in a bad way, but bads will be bads.”

I keep seeing this, And no one explains what they mean, So until you clarify, you dont really hold any water. What is the effective way to do a dungeon, what do you need, what stats are important, what types of skills, etc.

Posted by: Stevoli.8795

Stevoli.8795

I keep seeing this, And no one explains what they mean

Meaning people are learning how to use combos effectively, and learning what utility skills work best for different situations. How and when to weapon swap to maximize dps/efficiency. How to work with other classes. etc. etc.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Look at the difference of HP for bosses in AC exp and Arah exp. In AC it only takes a minute or two to kill, whereas in Arah it takes 20 kitten minutes!

They NEED to fix this!

Latinkuro.9420

Dice Dragon

I run semi PUG or full guild, even with semi PUG it is easy to do dungeons.
I do agree however that running with a complete PUG is hard mainly because many of these PUG players are not exactly mmorpg players.

Latinkuro.9420

Look at the difference of HP for bosses in AC exp and Arah exp. In AC it only takes a minute or two to kill, whereas in Arah it takes 20 kitten minutes!

They NEED to fix this!

It is also the last dungeon in the game it’s meant to be hard, the most valuable cores and lodestones drop from this dungeon as well which is why most people want to run it even if they are not properly prepared for it. Asking for it to be made easier is not exactly what is needed just fix the bugs and Arah is a fine dungeon.

Latinkuro.9420

“TL;DR: Dungeons are becoming easier and easier the more people learn how to play. This is a serious L2P issue. I don’t necessarily mean it in a bad way, but bads will be bads.”

I keep seeing this, And no one explains what they mean, So until you clarify, you dont really hold any water. What is the effective way to do a dungeon, what do you need, what stats are important, what types of skills, etc.

What many mean by this is:
- Don’t be a 1 trick pony build a balanced character.
- bring support skills to help your teammates.
- bring more than just 1 set of weapons with you, NOT just your shiny great sword.
- depending on the dungeon you’re running at least get some decent rare armor.
- equip at least a major rune set that matches the roles you wish to play.
- diversify your team DON’T bring 5 of X class to a dungeon, it can be done but makes it even harder and requires more skill play, if you’re struggling DON’T do it.

These are just a few things that come to mind when talking about PUG’s and what they lack from what I’ve experienced.

This is gone to the extreme point that most in my guild refuse to join me for dungeons when I say “It’s a PUG group though” than you hear the polite “thank you but NO thank you” and it’s a shame because not all PUG’s are bad occasionally I’ve found some that are actually very good players.

Also worth mentioning is that in most cases when I run a semi PUG the pug players end up stating what a difference it makes to run dungeons with people that know how to play together, and that they have been trying to get that dungeon done for hours without any luck because the groups keep wiping or it takes more than 2-3 hours to get 1 path done.

They start asking how we can manage to do it in 30 minutes even though it’s not a full guild group and the inevitable “can I join your guild question is popped”

The answer may sound to them like we’re teasing or making fun of them or something but it is honest advice learn to play the game and your class they way it’s meant to be played.

Also these forums have a TON of great information and advice on how to documents for classes and dungeons.

(edited by Latinkuro.9420)

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

They NEED to fix this!

It is also the last dungeon in the game it’s meant to be hard, the most valuable cores and lodestones drop from this dungeon as well which is why most people want to run it even if they are not properly prepared for it. Asking for it to be made easier is not exactly what is needed just fix the bugs and Arah is a fine dungeon.

Time!= Challenge. I’m pretty sure Arah’s bosses would be just as challenging if you reduced their health.

There was this one boss I recalled with a Warrior and Ranger who, once you position correctly, could barely do much to harm you. However, they just take SO long to kill, it’s nothing more than mashing buttons for 10 minutes! What kind of design is this!?

(edited by Kain Francois.4328)

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

I think some people have pointed this out, but 3-5 minutes per phase is usually good for a boss fight… I think the Lupicious fight (pardon if I horribly botched the spelling) is about right… it’s 3 phases and about 12-15 minutes or so; though it might seem to take longer just because you gotta learn it if it’s you or the group’s first time.

Epic fight duration =/= an epic fight.

Posted by: Phasmophobia.5398

Phasmophobia.5398

Also to the guys stating L2P, I’m sorry but you’re wrong. My guild and I usually don’t do PUGS and many of us have the ‘Dungeon Master’ title or close to (I’m missing a few story mode runs).

At this point we don’t find these dungeons to be challenging but just time consuming because of the absurd amount of HP the bosses have.

I would love to see the fights become shorter, harder and loaded with different mechanics. The lava room with lasers from CoE path 3 has the potential to be fun and exciting; but it just becomes boring repeating the same action over for 10 years until he is said. Adding a force field that pops every ten seconds to a boss with HP in the millions is just not fun it’s tedious.

Posted by: Leon Trotsky.3674

Leon Trotsky.3674

Talking about ludicrous HP pools…

While not a MMO (albeit somewhat an offline MMO), Final Fantasy XII had a certain boss called Yiazmat.

That dragon kitten had 50 million HP, while your damage was capped at 9999 (and only way to do 9999 to him was to buff the hell up while debuffing him, as far as I remember) and when he reached 75% (once again, been a long time don’t remember), your damage is capped at 6666. He had also some very brutal traits, like random insta-death applied to his attacks and a proper insta-death attack (your party had 3 member, so one dies, the other two revive…). Also the arena was full of booby traps.

On the bright side, you could actually leave the fight, save, go on with your life and when you returned he would have exactly the same HP when you left… With a little twist though, you had to leave the arena REALLY fast, otherwise he’d cast Regen on himself, regenerating his health until you debuff him on your next meeting with him, when he’ll probably have his health pool completely filled.

Animus.6073

No the L2P guys, including myself, are not wrong. There are certain fights in which the boss has more HP and mitigation than others, but if any dungeon is taking you longer than an hour and a half you are playing it wrong.

Remember how much people kitten and moaned, they still kind of do, about the kaboomium event in Magg’s path? Then someone posted a video of a group doing it successfully without having to kite until the very end. Then you see a slew of posters saying “well i’ll be kitten it is possible.”

The game has barely been out for what, like 6 weeks? Just because you and your powerful guildies can’t do something efficiently does not mean that it is ridiculously overtuned. I’ve grouped with PUGs that outclass plenty of people in guilds. Guilds are just groups of players that tend to be coordinated, but that in no way ensures that they will be good at this game.

If everyone plays properly, and yes that includes gearing, traiting, and fighting, no single dungeon encounter should ever exceed 15 minutes. Even in WoW’s raiding environment, 15 minute + encounters weren’t exactly run of the mill. So again, once people start getting better, the dungeons will not seem so ridiculous. Group up with full exotics and make sure everyone is “good” and you will see you don’t spend more than 45 minutes in most dungeons.

Posted by: Leon Trotsky.3674

Leon Trotsky.3674

No the L2P guys, including myself, are not wrong. There are certain fights in which the boss has more HP and mitigation than others, but if any dungeon is taking you longer than an hour and a half you are playing it wrong.

Remember how much people kitten and moaned, they still kind of do, about the kaboomium event in Magg’s path? Then someone posted a video of a group doing it successfully without having to kite until the very end. Then you see a slew of posters saying “well i’ll be kitten it is possible.”

The game has barely been out for what, like 6 weeks? Just because you and your powerful guildies can’t do something efficiently does not mean that it is ridiculously overtuned. I’ve grouped with PUGs that outclass plenty of people in guilds. Guilds are just groups of players that tend to be coordinated, but that in no way ensures that they will be good at this game.

If everyone plays properly, and yes that includes gearing, traiting, and fighting, no single dungeon encounter should ever exceed 15 minutes. Even in WoW’s raiding environment, 15 minute + encounters weren’t exactly run of the mill. So again, once people start getting better, the dungeons will not seem so ridiculous. Group up with full exotics and make sure everyone is “good” and you will see you don’t spend more than 45 minutes in most dungeons.

Hey matey, there is no such a thing as ‘you are playing it wrong’.

There are no wrong ways to play, only different ways.

I mean, unless you take into account opportunity cost (but then again the time you ‘gained’ would be spent playing anyway), taking more or less time to kill a boss is irrelevant as long as you kill it.

Posted by: Alexander.4827

Alexander.4827

At this point we don’t find these dungeons to be challenging but just time consuming because of the absurd amount of HP the bosses have.

Exactly. Once you’ve predicted their patters the fights reach an event horizon where all the tension, enthusiasm and excitement goes away. Long predictable fights aren’t exciting they are just time consuming.

The game has such a fun combat system in place I just want bosses to take more advantage of it and less advantage of my time.

Posted by: Katie Feathermoore.5031

Katie Feathermoore.5031

Am I just crazy or did fights in general (but especially boss fights) get more boring when enemies stopped having classes and skills like in GW1? Somehow looking at a bunch of kraits wailing on me is far less interesting then when they used to all cast skills.

Granted boss fights usually did involve a lot of monster skills that were different, but they were still better. As mentioned before it was just a matter of controlling incoming damage and healing and managing energy, the actual time was short as long as you could survive the first 30 secs of an engagement or so.

Posted by: Zantai.9463

Zantai.9463

This thread mostly just given me FFXI nostalgia… and no, the bosses in that game were not just HP bags. Even the Zilart bosses, which were largely tamed within the first year, usually had at least one attack that could wipe a group that didn’t react very quickly, even if geared up.

I was gone by the time of the Destructoid article, but from what I remember, most of the long times for post-CoP bosses were because of the difficulty of doing sustained damage without wiping.

Animus.6073

I mean, unless you take into account opportunity cost (but then again the time you ‘gained’ would be spent playing anyway), taking more or less time to kill a boss is irrelevant as long as you kill it.

I hope this doesn’t come across as disrespectful but you are just wrong. MMO’s these days are notorious for encouraging people to try new builds and avoid the cookie-cutters without feeling like they are giving up too much in one way or another and it just isn’t quite possible in this iteration of GW2.

I blame most of this on the downed state and the ability to run back to an encounter. Not that I dislike the downed state, but in its current implementation it allows people to make all kinds of mistakes with virtually no consequence other than time. Like I said earlier in this thread, I just ran an AC exp where 3 out of the 5 people in my group were getting downed on Kohler and Howing King. When we downed them they were probably like “that was fun and we did it!” Meanwhile I and the other competent player were thinking “how are these people level 80 and still playing this poorly?”

Anyone who says, “well that was just one group and other people play better,” is absolutely right. There are others who play better because they have learned the game. You will not see those players taking upwards of 15 minutes on any encounter because they understand the value of not making mistakes and maximizing their damage output, healing, and support.

Guild Wars is a much much more casual friendly game than any MMO I have played before. Not to say that is bad, and I do think the PvP really shines in this game, but in PvE and dungeons, once you figure out how to play, you simply dominate the content. People who are not are “playing it wrong” and if you are of the opinion that you can play any way you want, you may want to wake up. There will always be builds that outperform others.

Posted by: Stevoli.8795

Stevoli.8795

That depends on your definition of “playing”.

Are you trying to be the best darn Mesmer you can be, trying to go as long as you can without dying, researching traits and skills for an optimal build… or do you just wander around willy nilly without a care in the world, and who cares if you die or not, it’s just a game.

Latinkuro.9420

If you’re taking 2+ hours for a dungeon you are playing it wrong there’s no room there for “play the way you want to play it” mate, that saying is meant for general PVE environment NOT for dungeons.

People said, CoF path 3 was hard !
- no it’s not, it just requires a bit more coordination than others so people avoid it.

people said AC path 3 was hard !
- no it’s not, again more coordination needed for the borrows room with the collectors.

people said CoE (can’t remember the path) was hard !
- no it’s not learn the AoE patterns and when to dodge them or not, again more coordination is required for this path !

Are you starting to see the pattern here ?
Not all dungeon paths are the same easy going plow through everything in minutes and that is fine.

My favorite dungeon Boss right now is subject alpha.

People complain about him all the time, they complain about the HP, they complain about the insane AoE abilities yet to me that is a masterpiece of a Boss, hard enough to put you on edge and perform to the best of your abilities but not insanely hard that cannot be done at all.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

I just did CoE story for the first time today.

Never. Again. It was such a drawn out, boring, unchallenging, piece of garbage I’ve ever wasted my time on.

That odd random mob that has a billion hp and ends up taking literally 15-20 minutes to kill, while it randomly one shots people, you have no idea how to avoid said one shot ability because you can’t see ANYTHING, you just drop. So you spend 15-20 minutes slowly beating on this mob while you just sit there rezzing anyone that drops, over and over.

Then the room that spawns like 30 golems/mobs that just completely annihilates everyone because it’s impossible to deal enough dmg to kill everything before more stuff just spawns. We basically kited everything in a giant circle for 30-40 minutes while we slowly killed off each mob.

Final boss, kill dude in his golem suit as he does nothing to challenge you, random lightning fields, I eventually just stood there auto attacking at ranged and sort of AFK’d, while we slowly killed it.

Finally kill the golem suit, actual boss pops out, teleports all over the place constantly again doing nothing to challenge you and again takes forever to kill, then near the end he starts doing his one shot mechanics, quickittentle charged shot that’s IMPOSSIBLE to see coming, again just run around rez anyone that get’s randomly shot, and dodge the aoe lightning volley thing (another one shot mechanic).

Finally kill him, now comes the giant cyclops thing, doesn’t do anything challenging, sit back at ranged and auto, I never came too close to the undead finger things. He has some one shot mechanic if you get too close to him, and near the end starts spawning random ice aoe’s that ALSO one shot. Stay back, ranged/auto/spam, avoid ice aoe, spend another 10 minutes to slowly kill it.

Not only is it a slow boring tank and spank essentially, you have no interesting rotations or abilities to keep you interested, for some classes your best dmg is just auto attacking. As a necro all I did was auto with staff, spam marks on cooldown, then sit in Death Shroud spamming Life Blasts for the most part.

On top of that the only reward was at the end with a nice amount of xp and a hat. The chests are just a joke.

In the end it feels like you waste your money on repairs to essentially waste your time doing something that’s god awfully boring. Dungeons need some serious help. They’re not actually CHALLENGING, nothing makes you think. You just zerg mobs down, spamming dmg at em, kite stuff around, then just rez people that get downed by cheesey one shot mechanics or crap you just can’t see coming/avoid.

You would think with the action elements of the game there would be more fights that function similar to Dragon Nest or Monster Hunter style fights. Where dodging actually matters, where you can actually see attacks coming, and they weren’t all just one shot mechanics either.

I partially blame Downed State for alot of this, it’s basically and excuse to have one shot mechanics and just non-stop streams of high dmg flying at you. People just getting killed constantly? Well it’s balanced because you can just run over and pick them up, over and over and over and over and over. It’s not fun, I don’t want to spend fights being the downed state 50% of the time. I’d rather have a balanced, fight where I’m actually on my feet for most of the fight not being dropped constantly.

Anyway, there’s my rant, Dungeons just suck atm. =/

Posted by: Leto.5642

Leto.5642

They’re unable to script a fight properly, or they don’t want to because it might discourage all the little kids playing this game, so instead they give really high HP to some mobs and called them “bosses”. But anyone who played a real MMORPG knows perfectly well that those “bosses” are a total joke.

(edited by Leto.5642)

Posted by: Bellatrix.5402

Bellatrix.5402

[…] I blame most of this on the downed state and the ability to run back to an encounter. Not that I dislike the downed state, but in its current implementation it allows people to make all kinds of mistakes with virtually no consequence other than time. Like I said earlier in this thread, I just ran an AC exp where 3 out of the 5 people in my group were getting downed on Kohler and Howing King. When we downed them they were probably like “that was fun and we did it!” Meanwhile I and the other competent player were thinking “how are these people level 80 and still playing this poorly?”

A lot of people who get to 80 haven’t even touched dungeon content. If their experience was the same as mine they simply followed their personal story line for Arah story mode as their first dungeon, which in and of itself is kind of a brutal introduction (inflated HP included).

As for Kohler and Howling King… it happens. It doesn’t even frustrate me at all unless I’m the guilty one (though it does seem lost on people that you can roll out of Kohler’s spin, but a lot of people use glass cannon builds for dungeons). There’s a semi-rare bug where Kohler doesn’t do the indicator for his pull, and I’ve never seen the indicator for the scavenger leap (they are supposed to lean back in a pouncing animation before leaping, at least according to videos and such – so I have to rely on prediction), so there’s that.

Anyway, I do agree with the overall premise of what’s being stated here by various people – bosses (and various trash) have inflated health and it doesn’t make it more challenging. As for the concern about people rolling glass cannon builds streamrolling content, that’s happened since people turned 80. More bosses and mini-bosses could use some anti-glass cannon mechanics. Dungeons in general seem rushed to be honest, but there is still enjoyment to be found.

Posted by: Xenite.7418

Xenite.7418

They’re unable to script a fight properly, or they don’t want to because it might discourage all the little kids playing this game, so instead they give really high HP to some mobs and called them “bosses”. But anyone who played a real MMORPG knows perfectly well that those “bosses” are a total joke.

Dude, I doubt many kids have the skill to stay alive on many of those encounters, specially if you become the focus of somethings attacks. I’ve seen so many players just stand in-front of something, beating on it like it’s WoW and they get face planted in the dirt because they don’t avoid it’s special attacks.

A good player will kite something, but again who wants to kite a mob around for 20+ minutes with virtually no reward? I’ve done it a few times already and it’s dull as hell, it’s to the point where if I see “group event” I just skip it.