Why do people play anything other than a war?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TylerWolff.7186

TylerWolff.7186

The meta is berserker DPS and when it comes to that formula warriors do it best. Anything else and you’re sub par and gimping yourself. This isn’t a troll post, I’ve played every profession (excluding engi) up to level 40 and played a necro/ele/warrior at 80 in full exotics. Warriors are pure faceroll. Walk up, smash a button or two and you walk away with a mob kill and 90% health. Other classes need to bounce around, worry about placing skills or their health bar. In fact, I never even use my healing skill because the regeneration on it does the work for me.

If the game welcomed builds other than berserkers then the other professions would be worth playing, but ATM everyone should just play a warrior.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

For fun.

/15 characters

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

They said to play as I want. I wanted to be a thief. I didn’t want to be a class that is drenched in monotony, in my opinion. I mean come on, adrenaline and the most uses of weapon types? Really? How is that fun if a professions unique points are just that? In my opinion of course.

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Some of us do more than PvE, and DEEPS warriors are far from the meta in WvW and PvP.

Feel free though to try your DEEPS warrior roaming in WvW and I’ll be sure to have him say hello to my 2200 condi damage necro.

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Everyone should play what works for them.

See sig, plenty of experience with multiple classes, including 6 or 7 warriors (I’ve lost track) in different specs/gear. In Explorables, Fractals and WvW. With only 4 of us in the group.

We’ve all seen these threads pop up from time to time and although it speaks to the game design, it also speaks to a perspective that is not necessarily embraced by all players.

Warriors are fun, and are effective.

And so are other classes, for other players, doing other parts of the game. Including PvP.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: Trixie.7614

Trixie.7614

I have every class to 80 (without thief and necro) geared with berserker and I can confirm that warriors are da best. While it’s true that speedruns are possible only by comboing classes, warriors are the most efficient choice for pugging.

I don’t think that other classes are weak, but I find their traits… lacking.

Glorious Human Master Race

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Because warriors are boring? And unless you are doing dungeons with hardcore speed runners it doesn’t matter if you kill things 0.5s quicker?

And because you wvw, or pvp?

But I think your real point is that warriors are OP in pve which is true. ANet should do something about that…

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Because warriors are boring? And unless you are doing dungeons with hardcore speed runners it doesn’t matter if you kill things 0.5s quicker?

And because you wvw, or pvp?

But I think your real point is that warriors are OP in pve which is true. ANet should do something about that…

warriors are boring is my best answer as well.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

People are under the false impression that they have the highest dps and group support. But it’s also because they’re very easy to play (for most… I can’t get past how boring it is though)

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: MrContrary.1264

MrContrary.1264

I agree zerk warriors are usually the most effective, but the other classes aren’t ineffective, they’re just less effective. The gap isn’t wide enough where it’s an issue for me.

If a speed zerk warrior team finishes a dungeon in 7 minutes, and a less optimized team finishes it in 14 minutes, they’re both within acceptable parameters, so I don’t care who’s better or faster. A lot of players probably feel the same.

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

The meta is berserker DPS and when it comes to that formula warriors do it best. Anything else and you’re sub par and gimping yourself.

And that’s where you’re wrong. Warriors don’t do it best. They just do it the simplest. In DPS the berserker Warrior loses to a berserker Elementalist. In groups for dungeon speedruns as well, multiple Warriors wind up being redundant, with other classes adding more than a second/third Warrior would.

Yes, even a Ranger.

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

Ranger, Guardian, Elementalist out damage a Warrior… :x

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Posted by: Seth.1308

Seth.1308

Walk up, smash a button or two and you walk away with a mob kill and 90% health. Other classes need to bounce around, worry about placing skills or their health bar. In fact, I never even use my healing skill because the regeneration on it does the work for me.

You have to smash buttons AND you took damage? Talk about gimpy.

If you were on a Ranger with healing/toughness gear you could have AFK’d and just picked up the loot bags. Anything else is sub-par!

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

Why do people play any game on anything other than easy?

I find warriors extremely boring. IMHO they’re the worst class to me, because they’re the most boring to play, and why would I play a boring game.

also, even in dungeons, 5 warriors won’t be as effective as other combos. I don’t know the exact numbers because I don’t really tryhard in pve, but I’m sure some of the more experienced in dungeon running will shut that down.

along with that, in pvp/wvw, warriors are par at best. they’re easy to play, but that means that aside from a few really good warriors, the skill ceiling is lower over-all, meaning being skilled at other classes could potentially put you at a level above 90% of warriors.

tl;dr warriors are boring and overused, which makes them easy kills a majority of the time

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

Posted by: mage.3570

mage.3570

I find warriors extremely boring. IMHO they’re the worst class to me, because they’re the most boring to play, and why would I play a boring game.

also, even in dungeons, 5 warriors won’t be as effective as other combos. I don’t know the exact numbers because I don’t really tryhard in pve, but I’m sure some of the more experienced in dungeon running will shut that down.

along with that, in pvp/wvw, warriors are par at best. they’re easy to play, but that means that aside from a few really good warriors, the skill ceiling is lower over-all, meaning being skilled at other classes could potentially put you at a level above 90% of warriors.

tl;dr warriors are boring and overused, which makes them easy kills a majority of the time

Wars are easy to play and perfect for grinding. Grinding is not fun, but that doesn’t make wars boring. Wars are fun to play too when the content is fun. So, blame the content and not the class.

Been there, done that. What’s next?

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

I’m sorry. I had to start laughing when you said warrior’s have the best DPS. Do Elementalists, Thieves and Guardians not exist now?
Eles make Warriors look like pillow fighters with their Staff and Conjures.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

For fun.

/15 characters

Absolutely agree.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Wars are easy to play and perfect for grinding. Grinding is not fun, but that doesn’t make wars boring. Wars are fun to play too when the content is fun. So, blame the content and not the class.

Pretty sure the problem is the class when it face rolls things so much easier than any other class.

Highest base armor and health allowing for less risk while in GC gear, massive passive health regen, and a damage output that doesn’t account for the two prior points trivializes most of the game’s content.

A one armed person who has never played videogames before could beat most everything in the game with a Warrior.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Hmm, 2012 called. They want their thread back.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

Warriors are the absolute perfect pve class, even good in pvp/wvw. They’re just a well put together class and that it makes other classes less appealing. But the major drawback is the fun factor, not everyone wants to be Superman.

If anything the devs should look at the warrior and add some of those features to the other classes to bring them up to par.

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

-snip-

In pve, every class can be pretty boring to me, but that’s because i find pve boring.

most of my “warrior is boring” point of view is wvw and partially pvp. When I’m playing my ranger, every fight is fun, because even if I’m playing against a bad player, I still need to play effectively to win. I feel as a warrior, even if you don’t play top-of-the-line, you can still win against bad/mediocre opponents, which is what I’m trying to say.

I’m not saying warriors are a bad class, just that, to me (Keyword: it’s just my opinion), they’re boring. I’m not even particularly saying they’re op, just that I have an easy time playing them, and from most people who I’ve seen talk about them, that’s the general case

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

Posted by: LittleZoe.4970

LittleZoe.4970

Because, even if you find it hard to believe, some people play the game to have fun, not to faceroll everything.

Zoe Clawstorm – Norn Necromancer

(edited by LittleZoe.4970)

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

Heaven forbid that I would play any class that doesn’t have the optimal theoretical damage numbers, wearing gear that doesn’t have the optimal damage numbers. Obviously survivability or support is not needed ever, since if I were adequate/sufficient/optimal/pro I wouldn’t ever get hit even in my training-wheels-for-true-omgdps gear. Gasp, I might even kill an enemy in 10 instead of 15 seconds, or run a dungeon in 15 instead of 20 minutes! Please note that the times I give here are purely fictional, I realize well that professional players are several nanoseconds faster than that! On the plus side, I have a rather fantastic meta wardrobe and dye collection.

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

I’m sorry. I had to start laughing when you said warrior’s have the best DPS. Do Elementalists, Thieves and Guardians not exist now?

But, but, but…..#2=WIN…lol

Posted by: Rhomulos.2089

Rhomulos.2089

Anything past 2 warriors is severely destroying your party DPS potential, in most cases i’d rather only have 1 warrior.

Kluzu – Engineer (Main)
Kluzukaze – Mesmer
Rhomulos Prime – Revenant

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

so many clueless people… that think warriors are the best in groups. L O L.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

school holidays

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

The meta is berserker DPS and when it comes to that formula warriors do it best.

Did I time travel and end up back in early 2013?

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

lv40 for every class mean you are at the grade 1 level of most class. I have all classes lv80. I hated my first lv80 ele and rerolled another lv80. Properly geared so to discovered the strength of playing an ele.

Each class has pro and con. Why players play classes out of warrior because other classes are as strong or stronger than a warrior due to good player skill.

Posted by: Eight O Eight.8257

Eight O Eight.8257

snip This isn’t a troll post,snip

With not one single reply from this tool, I have to call bullkitten on this NOT being a troll post.

Nothing to see here, folks. Move it along.

Posted by: Shjade.4697

Shjade.4697

This, at least in part. I don’t know how they compare to Thieves, and I’m skeptical about Guardians outdamaging Warriors 1 for 1, but NOTHING wrecks as hard as an Elementalist whose target is shoved into a corner. Not even close.

Personally, I’m really enjoying my Warrior all the same. I started with Thief, played pretty much nothing but Thief for a long time – dabbled in other classes but never really liked them (and re-grinding through the same content hurts my soul). When I started playing again a couple months ago, though, I was determined to level up some other class and just rode the EotM karma train for the last 30 levels or so to get it over with faster and, well…I just like the overall usefulness of the class. They don’t have a lot of the niche tricks you need for some things – no big reflects or absorbs, no healbombs, no real manipulative options, just effective damage and group support.

Honestly the class feels, in some ways, as much like a Bard as a Warrior: yeah, you bring some solid damage and you’re sturdy, but you also bring a bunch of buff options to fill out the rest of your party and make everyone more effective. Are you the best at it? Eh, probably not, depending on context, but there aren’t a lot of situations where you look at a task and think, “Well, I definitely don’t want a warrior’s help with this.”

I’m rambling. All I’m trying to say: Warriors are useful and have more to offer than just DEEPS all the time, but they’re far from being the be-all, end-all of the game. If I didn’t loathe the level grind so much I’d be working on a Guardian and a Mesmer right now to fill those gaps my Warrior can’t. And maybe an Ele, but eh. Ehhh. Maybe.

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

Warriors have immensely good survivability, mid-tier damage and a really easy playstyle, whereas other classes such as thieves and elementalists have less survivability and a lot of damage.

So, people play anything other than a war because:

• Fun.
  • Are better at the game.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

This is a role playing game. Once upon a time, playing a role playing game means you were playing a role. If all you care about is efficiency and nothing else, then of course, you might roll the most efficient character.

However, some people see themselves as a thief, and prefer sneaking and stealth to beating someone over the head with a single great sword skill.

And some people identify with casters…magic users. They play that because it’s what they enjoy because they’re playing an MMORPG not an MMOBME (massive multiplayer be more efficient).

Those of us who like to play and have a good time and leave efficiency at work are quite happy to play anything we want. It doesn’t mean some of us don’t have a warrior as well (I have a couple). It just means that was are playing role playing games as they were originally meant to be played.

This whole most efficient profession question comes from the fact that people have lost the definition of what an RPG actually is.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

To be blunt: That’s a stupid question. Same as asking “Why don’t people like things that I like”.

Every class has their play style.

Heavy
Warrior for high survivability and dps mixed together, very effective in melee combat. Can die quick when their defenses drop.

Guardian for better support play style with alot of boons. Low health and limited condition removal options makes them vulnerable against attrition combat.

Medium
Ranger for variety of combat styles, and even highly mobile support. Jack of all trades and part dps reliant on pet, most skills also more selfish.

Engineer for jack of all trades, alot of options, also possess a good condition burst. Doesn’t possess strong skills, some skills are also unpredictable.

Thief for fast, stealth and high single target DPS. Low health and medium defenses limits them to hit and run style gameplay only.

Light
Elementalist for jack of all trades and alot of AoE potential. Low health and defense leaves them mostly glass cannons.

Necromancer for attrition style combat, conditions and boon/condition manipulation skills. Doesn’t possess good spike options, only attrition style most viable.

Mesmer for deception, manipulation and with support options. Should their illusions fail to deceive foes, left vulnerable that way.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

There is a simple reason as to why I don’t main a warrior. They are boring and the damage actually isn’t that great. Thief and ele are way better. Thief can pretty much insta kill a lot of things (like the acolytes in CoF P1 for example) and teleport to it’s targets with ease, making it the quickest to start dealing damage in the first place. Ele has a lot of might and fury and if you mix that with shared conjure weapons, it’s far superior. The only reason to use a war for a speed run is for the survivability or buffs exclusive to that class. Though, in my experience it’s always the warrior that dies at melee range and rarely the thief or ele. I never have to worry about surviving as my full glass thief. S/P + healing signet puts warriors to shame.

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

Posted by: Vitus Dance.4509

Vitus Dance.4509

everyone should just play a warrior

Hmm, asking or telling?
I have 6 characters…and none are warriors.
Easy mode might appeal to some but i like a little more diversity in my games.

Posted by: Amnariel.3659

Amnariel.3659

To be blunt: That’s a stupid question. Same as asking “Why don’t people like things that I like”.

Every class has their play style.

Heavy
Warrior for high survivability and dps mixed together, very effective in melee combat. Can die quick when their defenses drop.

Guardian for better support play style with alot of boons. Low health and limited condition removal options makes them vulnerable against attrition combat.

Medium
Ranger for variety of combat styles, and even highly mobile support. Jack of all trades and part dps reliant on pet, most skills also more selfish.

Engineer for jack of all trades, alot of options, also possess a good condition burst. Doesn’t possess strong skills, some skills are also unpredictable.

Thief for fast, stealth and high single target DPS. Low health and medium defenses limits them to hit and run style gameplay only.

Light
Elementalist for jack of all trades and alot of AoE potential. Low health and defense leaves them mostly glass cannons.

Necromancer for attrition style combat, conditions and boon/condition manipulation skills. Doesn’t possess good spike options, only attrition style most viable.

Mesmer for deception, manipulation and with support options. Should their illusions fail to deceive foes, left vulnerable that way.

Agree with that.

InTopic:I play warrior because I like it,it’s the only class who I main in every single game what have a warrior option to be able to choose.
I like to play a plated armor class and imagine that I am that character.

But it’s hard to make it unique and not really requires much skill,especially hambow build still rocks or that bunker build.They are just good in everything.I know I should be happy for that because it’s my main class but I wish a little bit more challange.

I made a thief then but it lacks of diversity(weapons/usess) and it’s not really easy to adopt a new gameplay style after many years of ’’Plate’’.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Warrior doesn’t work for me as well as other classes. And I can’t really manage an Elementalist, Necro, or Thief so I stick with Ranger and try to be the one on the floor the least.

. . . and strangely I find it a heck of a lot more fun to play.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Its a pretty easy game for the most part. I’ve got two level 80 warriors and I haven’t touched them in months. My reasoning is the mobility of thieves. Essentially at 80 in PVE, you can kill anything solo. So why fight anything unless you’re farming? I love going into stealth and getting out of unnecessary encounters. In wvw, its all a numbers game. The size of your group determines who wins a good majority of the time, and my survivability skyrocketed in zergs after I switched from warrior to thief. In PvP maybe I sucked, but I felt like I had a massive target on my back as warrior. Once again, when I got decent at thief I found it much easier to win fights and escape outnumbered scenarios.

So for me personally, the question became, why use my warriors for anything?

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Because, even if you find it hard to believe, some people play the game to have fun, not to faceroll everything.

Handicapping yourself to do all the new countless “kill monster before it kills NPC or time runs out” LS S2 achievements by playing other classes does not fit my definition of “fun”.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Handicapping yourself to do all the new countless “kill monster before it kills NPC or time runs out” LS S2 achievements by playing other classes does not fit my definition of “fun”.

It’s good then what we all define fun differently. The world would be a boring place if we didn’t.

Posted by: Davey.7029

Davey.7029

This might be news to you, but some people play video games for fun. Personally I find most melee classes like Warrior super boring and uninteresting.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Because despite Patches and stuff, most LFG asks Always for 2-4 warriors.
Also its strong and extremely easy to play.

Even if you mess up your traits or part of the equipment the DPS is still good.

Warrior is indeed boring but when you need gold, its the safest bet.
Expecially being nerf proof.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

Boring as hell and everything is far too easy.

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

The meta is berserker DPS and when it comes to that formula warriors do it best. Anything else and you’re sub par and gimping yourself. This isn’t a troll post, I’ve played every profession (excluding engi) up to level 40 and played a necro/ele/warrior at 80 in full exotics. Warriors are pure faceroll. Walk up, smash a button or two and you walk away with a mob kill and 90% health. Other classes need to bounce around, worry about placing skills or their health bar. In fact, I never even use my healing skill because the regeneration on it does the work for me.

If the game welcomed builds other than berserkers then the other professions would be worth playing, but ATM everyone should just play a warrior.

Except that the number crunchers have shown that Warriors are not the top DPS. IIRC they’re more like mid-tier. Warriors are popular because people believe they have top DPS. And because their only good form of group support is adding more damage.

And people are always going to play what they find fun or exciting to play. People aren’t logical machines that only work towards achieving maximum efficiency. People are emotional, subjective creatures that will often take a sub-optimal solution to a problem because it’s one that they like. Or one that they have confidence in being able to perform best.

Posted by: hildegain.2106

hildegain.2106

I have every class at 80 (including 2 mesmers and 2 elementalists).

Guardians easily overpower warriors for sustainable DPS and group utility. Elementalists can outdo warriors in sheer damage and AoE (one reason why people want so many of them) and even a Mesmer played well is a good contender.

Thing is, the warrior might be the most ridiculously simple DPS to play. It’s not hard to spam 1 and then hit 2 now and then.

Except that the number crunchers have shown that Warriors are not the top DPS. IIRC they’re more like mid-tier. Warriors are popular because people believe they have top DPS. And because their only good form of group support is adding more damage.

And people are always going to play what they find fun or exciting to play. People aren’t logical machines that only work towards achieving maximum efficiency. People are emotional, subjective creatures that will often take a sub-optimal solution to a problem because it’s one that they like. Or one that they have confidence in being able to perform best.

Ding ding! Correct!

Posted by: hildegain.2106

hildegain.2106

I should edit my post to edit my character list but it wont let me, so I’ll say that in addition to the 2 mesmers and eles, I also have 2 warrs and guards. Guardians with %dmg boosts are a kitten good dps.

Posted by: Benjamin.8237

Benjamin.8237

Some of us do more than PvE, and DEEPS warriors are far from the meta in WvW and PvP.

Feel free though to try your DEEPS warrior roaming in WvW and I’ll be sure to have him say hello to my 2200 condi damage necro.

I met a full zerk warrior in WvW without berserker stance. My 2600 condition damage Guardian with 1300 burn ticks dropped him incredibly quickly.

P R I N C E | Best Renger EU
You can find me in PvP | I normally answer PMs

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

Why would you reply to a pve thread with a pointless wvw anecdote

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

The reason a lot of players like Warriors is because they are extremely easy to play and still do respectable damage. Compared to other classes that do significantly more DPS but are harder to play. Warrior is the class I had my GF roll because she’s terrible at video games, that way she can still hold her own and only has to worry about #1 and #2.

Personally I prefer Elementalist/Guardian over Warrior. Both are more useful than a Warrior in PUGs. You really only need 1 warrior for banners, then start looking for the actual useful classes.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….