Why do people stop playing GW2?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

How is the lore wiped?

Speed clears were not only among my least favorite parts of Guild Wars 1, but they were the one part of Guild Wars 1 that I really really hated. And if they’re gone, what the hell is CoF point 1 or any of the ultra fast dungeon runs? I hate them here too.

They lost a percentage of the Guild Wars 1 players, particularly PvP players. I agree with that. But there seem to be a whole lot of people running around the game with God Walking Among Mere Mortals title. Where are they coming from?

How is the lore wiped? well, they made a cheesy story that the world basicly got reset by a flood. BOOOM. Old world gone, lore = vanished. Elona & Cantha doesn’t seem to exist. Suddenly the Tengu & Stone summit don’t seem to exist. U know these core tyria monsters. They just wrote a lore that explains why everything is gone. Also, you aren’t seeing things from a human aspect anymore, suddenly u can be a charr. It feels so stupid if you are a charr and those humans & other races aren’t even enemies of u. I know why they aren’t, but it doesn’t feel verry charr like if you play them.

About speedclears, the towns where u started speedclears were the places where the most players were. (beside kamadan/kaineng/lionsarch). Speedclears were verry popular back then. kitten i miss UW & FoW

The lore isn’t gone…it’s changed and you don’t like the change. There’s plenty of lore. I read the novels, I think they’re pretty good (not great literature, but good for a guy who likes lore).

But you’re also confusing lore and story. Story is not lore and lore is not story (though they can interesect). Lore is more akin to backstory and there’s plenty of it here.

You might not like the story, but there’s plenty of lore.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

How is the lore wiped? well, they made a cheesy story that the world basicly got reset by a flood. BOOOM. Old world gone, lore = vanished. Elona & Cantha doesn’t seem to exist. Suddenly the Tengu & Stone summit don’t seem to exist. U know these core tyria monsters. They just wrote a lore that explains why everything is gone. Also, you aren’t seeing things from a human aspect anymore, suddenly u can be a charr. It feels so stupid if you are a charr and those humans & other races aren’t even enemies of u. I know why they aren’t, but it doesn’t feel verry charr like if you play them.

About speedclears, the towns where u started speedclears were the places where the most players were. (beside kamadan/kaineng/lionsarch). Speedclears were verry popular back then. kitten i miss UW & FoW

1. Elona and Cantha wasn’t there in the first GW game either
2. Elona and Cantha are not gone. They will be reintroduced with expansions. We have hints of what’s happening outside Tyria and the only reason why we haven’t ventured anywhere is because of all hell breaking lose and every continent having its own problems
3. Tengu do exist. You meet them while going trough your story.
4. Guess what happens when peace happens? Are you also surprised that when you are German other countries don’t condemn you? Also if you followed the story you know that the charr that were attacking humans and leading charr into battle before were the Flame Legion. Blood and Ash legions never actually agreed with the flame legion, therefore civil war, therefore peace with humans, therefore Flame Legion are getting shunned.
I don’t think that you actually followed the story in GW1 or GW2.

Posted by: pricer.5091

pricer.5091

I’m betting Wildstar with have a MUCH smaller affect on the Guild Wars 2 population than most people think. Why? Because they think that most people are hard core, while I believe most people are more casual.

I guess we’ll see soon enough.

I’m betting it will be a massive flop. Its basically a cartoon that looks like something from Earthworm Jim nearly 20 years ago. I hated it on sight.

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

I’m betting Wildstar with have a MUCH smaller affect on the Guild Wars 2 population than most people think. Why? Because they think that most people are hard core, while I believe most people are more casual.

I guess we’ll see soon enough.

I’m betting it will be a massive flop. Its basically a cartoon that looks like something from Earthworm Jim nearly 20 years ago. I hated it on sight.

Same bet here. Another one which tries to imitate WoW “hardcore” and which will fail because even with all the negative changes over year, Blizzard still does it better and also has a loyal player base that won’t move to games like Wildstar.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

Posted by: Arimahn.3568

Arimahn.3568

I quit because my first, and main, character is an engineer.

Need I say more?

That’s interesting. My first character, the first character I leveled to 80 was also an engineer. I still do quite well with him.

I like him a whole lot more than I like my 80th level warrior.

I like my engineer too, that’s why I can’t really bring myself to level a worthwhile class. I stuck with it long enough and kept on top of what’s good (read: not FUBAR) but every single patch so far has been an uphill struggle against the flailings of the balance team. Remember when Flamethrower was pretty good? Remember Grenades?

Vayne.8563

Need I say more?

That’s interesting. My first character, the first character I leveled to 80 was also an engineer. I still do quite well with him.

I like my engineer too, that’s why I can’t really bring myself to level a worthwhile class. I stuck with it long enough and kept on top of what’s good (read: not FUBAR) but every single patch so far has been an uphill struggle against the flailings of the balance team. Remember when Flamethrower was pretty good? Remember Grenades?

Nah I was more of a bomb guy. And I love rifle. I don’t particularly mind elixir gun in certain situations, either.

Oh, grenades underwater I still love. Just not a fan of ground targetting.

Mirta.5029

and what’s wrong with a flamethrower?
Rampager’s gear, full stack of might, a flamethrower and my engi is doing good.

Posted by: Arimahn.3568

Arimahn.3568

Okay, you’re pretty well of with bombs and such. I for one am tired of re-working my entire build and probably stat distribution every patch.

At least we’re not Rangers, kitten .

But even if I had a warrior as my main, I’d still not play much because I’m tired of daily grinds. There’s so little progress to be had I might as well not play at all, especially since I can return to the game whenever I want anyway. Sadly I’ve not encountered anything that holds my attention for more than a few weeks at a time.

Posted by: Sinifair.1026

Sinifair.1026

Because people are frustrated with some of the bugs and don’t have patience for bug fixes (they think ten months is a long time in programming terms).

Actually, it is. When it comes to bug fixing, much can be achieved within just a week… 10 months is a lot of of time for improvement, and there has been some, but not as much as I would’ve expected (although I must say that the gold sellers seems to be gone for good, and botting has been battled against to quite the satisfying degree).
- Many of the bug fixes that are frequently requested could have been solved months ago. It is a matter of where the priority lies.
- A lot of that focus goes to PvP, but then why not make a Dota, LoL or Smite instead of an MMO. PvE needs more attention since it makes out so much of the game… and Living Story is not enough. It’s not permanent content for PvE’ers, and I don’t like being forced each month to go to a few particular zones. I’d like to have a “breather” for a couple of months while they prepare a new chapter in the Living Story, but that’s just my opinion.

Posted by: bullettohead.9715

bullettohead.9715

• The core combat mechanics are bad/overly simplified.
  • Auto-attacking is sufficient to easily get through 99% of the content.
  • Skills are very generic. No choice in skills.
  • Most traits are ineffectual and barely change anything.
  • The AI is terrible.

When people have to resort to lies like these to bash a game, you know the game is good.

GW2 is not perfect, it has issues, but those listed in that post aren’t part of them.

Absolutely none of those are lies. At all. Don’t try and defend yourself by just saying “yeah well he’s a liar” without any actual substance to your argument.

Amusingly, you do exactly the thing you pretend I was doing. Ironic, isn’t it?

As I said, all the points are, at best flawed opinion of someone who thinks GW2 should be another trinity based WoW clone, at worse just plain lies to bash the game.

I didn’t make a claim. Burden of proof. Learn 2.

In any case, I’ll play your game.

1. Nobody mentioned the trinity. At all. Don’t try and dump anybody who disagrees with you as a WoW player. Gw2’s combat is very samey. You unlock almost all of your weapon skills by 30, and while utilities are nice, there’s only so much they can do to change your weapon. Elites across the board are underwhelming and then some (warrior has 1 really useful one, warbanner being on too long of a CD when traited to really be worth it save to pick up a group of 4 downed) and you pretty much do the exact same thing once you find that weapon you like till… well, forever. That makes the combat shallow and samey. It is not a good system. The dodging and whatnot is good, but the actual combat is not “exciting”.

2. I can get through the entirerty of CoE, CoF, AC with nothing but auto attacks. I can promise you I can. The only bosses I can think of in this game that require more than AA’s are things like the Jotun Stargazer, but he’s an exception to the rule.

In fact, please, give me examples of bosses that cannot be AA’d to death.

3. Engineers and maybe ele’s are really the exception to the rule. As explained in point 1, you unlock everything by the time you hit 30, or in my case 20. I haven’t had a new weapon skill for 2000 hours. Weapon skills like the axe are very… samey. There’s no real distinction aside from a minor debuff here and there. What skills are different tend to be on incredibly long cooldowns. Utilities tend to do this a bit better, but using racials is incredibly detrimental (as it should be) and half my utilities as a warrior will NEVER see the light of day in the current meta, and I’m not even a GS zerk warrior. Weapons, to be “different” would need different skill slots for their 3-5 skills at least. Right now, builds always end up the same, and you’re never surprised when you see a guardian with a staff because you know EXACTLY what to expect. If you say “Well don’t run those builds”, I direct you to point 2. You are outright gimping yourself for the sake of being a special snowflake, instead of the system encouraging new and diverse builds.

4. I’m not so hot on this one, but I can see what he means. A hammer warriors traits don’t actually change the weapon at all save for some CD’s. Doesn’t change the utilities save for CD’s ad a minor heal. If you think it really “changes the way you play”, you’re ignorant of most classes builds and workings since most are a boost in damage, which is nice but doesn’t “change” much. The fact is most builds are based around weapons, which means they’re all very samey at the end of the day. There’s no diversity here either. Of course, that’s not the point of the claim, but I feel it’s a bigger issue that leads into the initial problem.

5. Really? So when spire is stuck trying to autoattack a champion we all passed 5 minutes ago just to die again, that’s good AI? When bosses are pushed into a corner and suddenly run out for no reason at all, that’s good AI? When world bosses can’t focus on more than one PC, that’s good AI? The AI can’t even handle being knocked off a ledge, otherwise we’d “break” it, according to Anet.

AI in this game is atrocious at times, maybe “okay” at best.

EDIT: Cut out your section because 5001 character length

Korrigan.4837

It’s not because you lie as well as the person you defend that the lies are suddenly truths. Smart to keep my post’s quote out of your post, so readers don’t see what you are answering to.
You don’t make any sense. It almost looks like you don’t even play this game considering the amount of nonsense you put in your post.
See my previous post for all necessary rebuttals.

Posted by: Oni.7451

Oni.7451

For me, it was a combination of the Ascended Gear, my guild friends ONLY wanting to do Fractals, and the disappointment from the Cantha statements (as in its not in the works). I like a lot about the game, but the combination of getting burned out by something I didn’t even like on top of the Cantha thing caused me to look elsewhere for enjoyment.

I still love GW2, and the Dragon Event has be back for the time being. However, my entire guild/friend-group isn’t playing anymore. We will see how it goes.

Posted by: bullettohead.9715

bullettohead.9715

It’s not because you lie as well as the person you defend that the lies are suddenly truths. Smart to keep my post’s quote out of your post, so readers don’t see what you are answering to.
You don’t make any sense. It almost looks like you don’t even play this game considering the amount of nonsense you put in your post.
See my previous post for all necessary rebuttals.

How would you suggest I raise the 5001 character limit on the posts? Don’t patronize me. They can happily go to your post. And unless you’re sitting at 2400 hours or more, I play this game more than you.

Posted by: Zombo.1845

Zombo.1845

I think you underestimating the hardware Sony and Microsoft are putting into their new consoles.

My video card alone cost more than both the PS4 and Xbox One. That’s gotta say something about the graphics capability of those systems when compared to a high-end PC, no? However, it’s a non-issue with me since I see console gaming as a completely separate thing from PC gaming, and I will still buy a PS4 (mostly for Dark Souls…the greatest console RPG series of the last decade, imo). After all is said and done, I’m sure the new consoles will still have amazing graphics ( even my PS3 impresses me at times).

Back on topic….after playing for one week, I have decided that even if I only get a few months of playing out of it, then it’s still worth every penny of the initial investment. So I have no complaints.

Posted by: FourthVariety.5463

FourthVariety.5463

If push comes to shove, content is king. And not just linear story content which is depleted after playing it once, but real content focusing on extending the way players enact choices to interact with the game’s systems and mechanics.

To that end, GW2 players will hit a wall eventually. PvP-Minigames aside, the GW2 living story consists entirely of scripted events. Those events have a very limited shelf-life as opposed to the more dynamic systems we see in games such as DayZ or Minecraft. Two games which abandon scripted events in favor of a game which can create its situations dynamically. Sure, once you know all the components, you might get bored as well. In terms of popularity, randomized dynamic situations seem to be winning over scripted events when it comes to motivating players long term. Particularly groups of people buying and playing games together!

Posted by: dcypher.2590

dcypher.2590

I hear a lot of complaining that people quit playing GW2, and from the personal experience of my previous 80-man guild, that’s true. After two months since the release I was the only one playing, and after almost a year I’m only one playing.

So my question to you is, why do you think people stop playing Guild Wars 2?

I quit playing because it just lacks progression and doesn’t really make up for it in any other way that I can see. I stop by from time to time to see if the game is any better simply for the beautiful world they’ve created… but haven’t really seen anything to keep me logged in.

Posted by: stayBlind.7849

stayBlind.7849

• The AI is terrible.

When people have to resort to lies like these to bash a game, you know the game is good.

GW2 is not perfect, it has issues, but those listed in that post aren’t part of them.

Absolutely none of those are lies. At all. Don’t try and defend yourself by just saying “yeah well he’s a liar” without any actual substance to your argument.

This is obviously the opinion of a person you didn’t understand the GW2 combat mechanics, or someone who thinks having a “trinity” is deeply complex.
    This is just plain wrong, an obvious lie, anyone playing the game knows that.
    This is plain wrong too. Each weapon setup has 5 different skills, and the choice of slot skills is huge for each class. Each class also has at least one skill, most classes several, that adds 5 totally different weapon skills, be is morphing the character into something else, or stuff like grenades.
    Another plain lie, anyone playing the game knows it. Changing traits also completely changes the way you play and the weapons to use.
  • The AI is terrible.
    Is it? Please list me MMOs with better AI, please. And I don’t mean scripted crap like in WoW clones, where some “boss” mobs always do the same things at the same moment, I mean real AI. Or do you mean the nonsense AI of mobs who can be “taunted” and only hit the character with the best armor and with 5 healers healing him?

As I said, all the points are, at best flawed opinion of someone who thinks GW2 should be another trinity based WoW clone, at worse just plain lies to bash the game.

GW2 is a WoW clone without the trinity.

Before you derail people’s arguments into “trinity sucks”, maybe you should realize that most of the people that are upset about the GW2 systems are comparing said systems to GW1, not the generic MMO mechanics that GW2 has altered slightly.

(edited by stayBlind.7849)

Mirta.5029

My video card alone cost more than both the PS4 and Xbox One.

You overpayed for your card

That’s gotta say something about the graphics capability of those systems when compared to a high-end PC, no?

We’re comparing them to a low budget level PCs due to being limited to 3GB of ram, having shared memory (that will end up in bottlenecking) and only being able to play 32 bit. If you took those 400 dollars you could still build a more powerful PC, because you only need to get hardware from 2009 to beat the new console hardware.

After all is said and done, I’m sure the new consoles will still have amazing graphics ( even my PS3 impresses me at times).

If you really own the newest most expensive graphics card you really should not be impressed by console graphics. Just compare Crysis 3 on PC and PS3.

Korrigan.4837

Biggest stupidity written on this forum lately. Have you even played WoW to say such things? Because I have, for 8 years, with several years of hardcore raiding, and therefore when someone calls GW2 a “WoW clone”, I can only laugh about how stupid and ignorant that is.

GW2 is the antithesis of WoW in the theme park MMORPG genre. And that’s why so many players enjoy it. Because for the first time in 8+ years, an AAA quality MMO developer dared to try something different.

If you really own the newest most expensive graphics card you really should not be impressed by console graphics. Just compare Crysis 3 on PC and PS3.

Even more simple… just compare Skyrim on PS3 and on a PC, even with an older graphic card.

(edited by Korrigan.4837)

Posted by: taomang.2183

taomang.2183

They didn’t fail to deliver. They delivered fine. Some people want more than it possible, that’s all. I’ve yet to see an MMO offer this amount of content during their first year.

Rift.

/10character

Zombo.1845

My video card alone cost more than both the PS4 and Xbox One.

You overpayed for your card

That’s gotta say something about the graphics capability of those systems when compared to a high-end PC, no?

We’re comparing them to a low budget level PCs due to being limited to 3GB of ram, having shared memory (that will end up in bottlenecking) and only being able to play 32 bit. If you took those 400 dollars you could still build a more powerful PC, because you only need to get hardware from 2009 to beat the new console hardware.

After all is said and done, I’m sure the new consoles will still have amazing graphics ( even my PS3 impresses me at times).

I payed allmost $600, which is about average for that type of card (Evga Nvidia 680gtx). Yes, my PS3 has given me some pretty graphics (Uncharted, Heavy Rain, etc.). Are you saying that because I’m getting great graphics on my PC then I can’t appreciate what a lower machine can churn out? That doesn’t make any sense. Not to mention, I started my post by saying exactly what you’re saying…that the graphics capabilities don’t compare. Nevertheless, both platforms have games that look great (even if the PC’s look better).

Zombo.1845

ETA: when I said my card cost more than the PS4 and XB0, I meant each, not combined. I can see now how that could have been mis-read

Posted by: Rage.8429

Rage.8429

I logged back into gw1…

Posted by: X The Manimal.5293

X The Manimal.5293

This is really scary for me to say but I think one of the things that keeps me from logging on is the way dungeons and the gear “treadmill” work in this game. So, you pick and choose what gear you want for the sake of looking like a kitten and then when you’re done… then what? I kind of miss stats. I don’t think there was anything wrong with running a dungeon over and over to FINALLY get every piece of gear you wanted that not only looked awesome but were aa great upgrade to get you ready for the next dungeon. Sure you could go for ascended gear but I want to play the story-driven dungeons and have some reward for it and to have a real reason to do ALL of them.

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

Well I’m quitting for a while.
Reason:
1. slow or no fixes to things players want fixed
2.updates to think players dont care about instead of the things that need fixing
3.imbalenced pvp.
4.Lack of character diversity in available specs, and skills.
but idk. I’m not recommending a game to my friends that is trying to get them to buy a game that has lazy developers XD. In fact I would probably recommend other games /=
GW2 was original but it does not try to addict you to the game. For this reason, people have no desire to keep playing after they get the general aspects of the game.

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Need I say more?

Nah I was more of a bomb guy. And I love rifle. I don’t particularly mind elixir gun in certain situations, either.

Oh, grenades underwater I still love. Just not a fan of ground targetting.

I remember them all, I remember when I could press the #1 skill for grenades in Orr and kill anything with three hits. That was awesome, now everything takes at least 15 grenades to kill even in burst dps armor. They seriously need to go back and review the things they nerfed in PVE and fix them because they did alot of damage to engis in PVE by making it 1 patch to change it all instead of what they are doing now by separating the values of PVE PVP WVW.

I’d suggest that should be their very next patch.

Fix Condi damage values changes in September, fix grenade nerfs, fix pistol cast times there’s alot there they messed up along the way. (in PVE only I mean)

I’d also ask them to put back two of the changes to Kit Refinement for PVE the instacaltrops for toolkit and the AOE heal field for EG.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

and what’s wrong with a flamethrower?
Rampager’s gear, full stack of might, a flamethrower and my engi is doing good.

The same thing that’s still wrong with cone attacks across the entire game, they never fixed the miss bug they put a tiny patch on it to make the zone that is considered a hit bigger but it still misses quite often. I too am tired of seeing patch notes that say something is fixed when it’s not.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

once again, idk what the big mystery is about why people quit…..no content in pvp since launch AKA the game’s pvp has been untouched by the developers. dungeons look horrible with a really bad style to it…..dungeons feel like if ur in a tasteless location that looks uglier than anything else in the game. dungeons and bosses drop nothign worth your time, no creativity, no nothing, just a game that pretty much has you repeat the same doodoo. “ohhhh but adrian dinamic quest” uhhh ya ok buddy they are the same thing and nothign special, the game forces you to repeat the same shores over and over, nothign is challenging, nothing is creative, nothing is fulfilling…..the only good looking armor from a dungeon are from 2 dungeons out of the whole game…..random bosses drop nothing good…the list goes on and on and on AND ONNN

Posted by: Expansive.3716

Expansive.3716

A better question would be, what keeps people playing a game like WoW?

GW2 doesn’t have a monthly fee, or a strong flow of gear progression, or many tiers of content to unlock. WoW is constructed from the ground up to keep you involved in the game, to the point where people feel guilty about walking away from the game while their sub is still active.

It’s like going to an all-you-can-eat buffet and being unable to recognize whether you’re still hungry or not. You can go back for another plate of crab legs, or leave – but if you leave, you’ll wonder if you should have had that plate of crab legs. So you get another, and get up to leave… they just brought out a fresh roast beef…

GW2 was designed so that people can easily drop in and out. Some people will never leave, others will never come back. Either way it’s not a big deal.

I had to give you props for an awesome post dude. kitten good post.

It’s hard to resist those crab legs lol and then that roast beef!

Posted by: Expansive.3716

Expansive.3716

But to be honest, GW2 is a good game but it still is the typical MMO. People come and go, but for the most part you’ll have more that leave to play the next thing.. That’s just the nature of this genre.

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

But to be honest, GW2 is a good game but it still is the typical MMO. People come and go, but for the most part you’ll have more that leave to play the next thing.. That’s just the nature of this genre.

ur right, but that wouldnt happen if this game was actually good…..in reality the mechanics of this game and the pvp is great, but the people running this game are complete noobies.

Posted by: Reihert.1509

Reihert.1509

I just wish we had more coordination dungeons with sick skins as reward.

More like raids, but dint need to make it mandatory. Vanity gear that are unique are fine.

However, all cool gears comes as a sily lotery box :’(

Posted by: zabriel.4852

zabriel.4852

There is a point where you wait for class balance and instead you get Living story. Not saying Living Story is bad. Just plz fix your beautiful game stained with bugs and glitches.

ps. show all classes some love not just the warrior/guardian/mesmer.

Zabriel Dusk

Vayne.8563

• The AI is terrible.

This is obviously the opinion of a person you didn’t understand the GW2 combat mechanics, or someone who thinks having a “trinity” is deeply complex.
    This is just plain wrong, an obvious lie, anyone playing the game knows that.
    This is plain wrong too. Each weapon setup has 5 different skills, and the choice of slot skills is huge for each class. Each class also has at least one skill, most classes several, that adds 5 totally different weapon skills, be is morphing the character into something else, or stuff like grenades.
    Another plain lie, anyone playing the game knows it. Changing traits also completely changes the way you play and the weapons to use.
  • The AI is terrible.
    Is it? Please list me MMOs with better AI, please. And I don’t mean scripted crap like in WoW clones, where some “boss” mobs always do the same things at the same moment, I mean real AI. Or do you mean the nonsense AI of mobs who can be “taunted” and only hit the character with the best armor and with 5 healers healing him?

Before you derail people’s arguments into “trinity sucks”, maybe you should realize that most of the people that are upset about the GW2 systems are comparing said systems to GW1, not the generic MMO mechanics that GW2 has altered slightly.

Guild Wars 2 is a WoW clone in the same way that Pizza Hut is a McDonald’s clone. They offer different experiences for people. No WoW clone would be complete without raiding. Or is it the mounts you’re referring to.

This game has nothing to do with WoW. If you think it does, no wonder you’re not enjoying it.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

In fact I would probably recommend other games /=
GW2 was original but it does not try to addict you to the game..

This is a positive thing, and a good indication of your tastes that you don’t like it.

Vayne.8563

They didn’t fail to deliver. They delivered fine. Some people want more than it possible, that’s all. I’ve yet to see an MMO offer this amount of content during their first year.

Rift.

/10character

I played Rift. Rift offered far less content. If you take ALL of Telera, with it’s massive TWO starting areas, and the six races, two of which are human and two of which are elves, and you look at the size of the zones and the size of the world, you’ll find that even with all the upgrades of the first year, Rift didn’t offer the amount of content Guild Wars 2 offered AT LAUNCH.

Nice try. LMAO! Rift. Small zones. Small world. 500 some odd quests. A bunch of Rifts thrown on top of it. And half a dozen zone wide events. Too funny.

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

I Like this Game allot And want it to succeed , But here is why i think people quit

1. Lack of Builds/Game-play
2. Lack of rewards
3. Dungeons are boring and no decent loot drops
4. No GVG/HOH/

Also long time to fix things

[WM]give us in game ladder

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

In fact, please, give me examples of bosses that cannot be AA’d to death.

High Priest of Grenth
Activating the Temple of Balthazar
High Priest of Balthazar
Eye of Zhaitan

Just off the top of my head.

Aristio.2784

Rift.

/10character

I played Rift. Rift offered far less content. If you take ALL of Telera, with it’s massive TWO starting areas, and the six races, two of which are human and two of which are elves, and you look at the size of the zones and the size of the world, you’ll find that even with all the upgrades of the first year, Rift didn’t offer the amount of content Guild Wars 2 offered AT LAUNCH.

Nice try. LMAO! Rift. Small zones. Small world. 500 some odd quests. A bunch of Rifts thrown on top of it. And half a dozen zone wide events. Too funny.

Also, content=/=playing area. Rift through out 10 full content patches in their first year. Averaging new STATIC content at the rate of once every month and a half.

Vayne.8563

Rift.

/10character

Also, content=/=playing area. Rift through out 10 full content patches in their first year. Averaging new STATIC content at the rate of once every month and a half.

Rifts content patches during the first year included:

A giant one time event for which Trion had to apologize, afterwhich they sent everyone a bonus for missing it. Much like the karka event without overflow servers.

A set of new Rifts every six weeks including a set of new dailies every six weeks, which included new currency every six weeks…but the daily events within those six weeks didn’t change. They had special events that lasted the length of the special events, with the same boring dailies every single day of the event.

Eventually they came out with 1 and 2 man instances, two at first but if you’d been playing since launch you’d already outgeared them, they scaled in no way and they were ridiculous.

So, you have two starting areas, making leveling alts brilliant, because all three races of a faction shared the starting area. After the first zones there were a limited amount of zones to level in. And when you got to end game you had dungeons that led to raids, dailys for rep grind and events to grind currency that were the same as the event before with the exception of one race.

They did add raids with updates…whee. If you like raids, I guess that’s great. But for a guy like me there was just about nothing. Oh wait, you could get new sparklies if you got the thing that allowed you to look in the next dimension.

Good job that. They didn’t go free to play because the game was doing well.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

People stop playing because the game isnt what was promised. Its a grind, its a gear grind for ascended gear if you want BiS gear, and you cannot play the way you want.

With that said, it is the most gorgeous game to date, the most beautiful environment, and has the most potential.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Aristio.2784

Stuff

http://community.riftgame.com/en/2012/02/03/rift-one-year-later/

-5 Raids
-1 Huge Zone of Content (Ember Isle)
-2 New dungeons
-2 Master mode dungeons
-New warfront
-Wardrobe system, which blows the water out of our Transmutation system

Rift added a whole lot of content with every patch. They fixed bugs and added quality of life adjustments with every patch.

I’m not saying GW2 doesn’t have content, nor am I saying that Rift is superior to GW2. I’m saying that Rift added a lot within their first year. All we got so far that is permanent content is:

-Southsun
-Fractals of the Mist
-Three new SPVP maps.
Edit:
I forgot two mini-games. Which are Moa Racing and Keg Brawl.

(edited by Aristio.2784)

Posted by: namastex.8906

namastex.8906

The reason a ton of people quit is this simple fact: In November before the huge Karka event, they nerfed the game so badly that Rare drop rates dropped atleast 65%. You went from getting 25-30 rare drops an hour to maybe 10 an hour if you’re lucky. It was perfect, each event on cursed shore would net you around 4-5 rares. After the nerf, you wouldn’t get one an event unless you were lucky. I know this for a fact and I am one of the ones that quit back then. At the time this impacted people who used MF and those who did not. From my standpoint, MF does not make a shred of difference, and actually I found that people who equip to do more DPS usually get more exotics to drop compared to MF users.

I only log in once every other week to make some money after letting TP stuff sit for a while. Have they fixed it? I haven’t even used an attack button in this game since the Super event, and it wasn’t since November before that event. I also remember when a lot of people quit back in October because of the precursor nerf in the mystic forge. They never announced these nerfs and they enjoy watching you struggle. 2g+ for 100 diamonds is more than ridiculous and most people thought it would drop after holidays. Arena net would never allow their profit to drop just because holidays were over.

Vayne.8563

Stuff

http://community.riftgame.com/en/2012/02/03/rift-one-year-later/

-5 Raids
-1 Huge Zone of Content (Ember Isle)
-2 New dungeons
-2 Master mode dungeons
-New warfront
-Wardrobe system, which blows the water out of our Transmutation system

Rift added a whole lot of content with every patch. They fixed bugs and added quality of life adjustments with every patch.

I’m not saying GW2 doesn’t have content, nor am I saying that Rift is superior to GW2. I’m saying that Rift added a lot within their first year. All we got so far that is permanent content is:

-Southsun
-Fractals of the Mist
-Three new SPVP maps.
Edit:
I forgot two mini-games. Which are Moa Racing and Keg Brawl.

So guild missions don’t exist. The guild missions system is pretty big, but you completely ignored it. Lots of guilds make use of the guild mission system, probably more people than raided in Rift.

You forgot upgrades to WvW like the WxP which gives leveling which is something some people work for. You forgot how AC was completely redone, including all the bosses. You forgot 30 new dynamic events and 3 new jumping puzzles.

And let’s not belabor the fact though some content was temporary it EXISTED. Rift gave an event with some dailies for a new currency, NONE of their events included anything like the Mad King Dungeon, the MF dungeon, or even something as interesting/cool as Crab Toss.

Not everything will be for everyone but leaving out temporary content because it’s not there now, doesn’t mean people didn’t do/enjoy it. I absolutely love dragon ball, one of my favorite PvP matchs. Why isn’t it on your list? Because it won’t be there. The music game at Christmas was massively popular, as was the jumping puzzle. Halloween also had a popular jumping puzzle. These are all added content, just not permanent content. You can’t discount them if you could do them during the year.

Guild Wars 2 still has 2 months before it’s a year old, btw.

No I don’t think Rift offered more by this point in time, and most of the stuff they did offer in their monthly events was underwhelming.

Aristio.2784

So guild missions don’t exist. The guild missions system is pretty big, but you completely ignored it. Lots of guilds make use of the guild mission system, probably more people than raided in Rift.

You forgot upgrades to WvW like the WxP which gives leveling which is something some people work for. You forgot how AC was completely redone, including all the bosses. You forgot 30 new dynamic events and 3 new jumping puzzles.

And let’s not belabor the fact though some content was temporary it EXISTED. Rift gave an event with some dailies for a new currency, NONE of their events included anything like the Mad King Dungeon, the MF dungeon, or even something as interesting/cool as Crab Toss.

Not everything will be for everyone but leaving out temporary content because it’s not there now, doesn’t mean people didn’t do/enjoy it. I absolutely love dragon ball, one of my favorite PvP matchs. Why isn’t it on your list? Because it won’t be there. The music game at Christmas was massively popular, as was the jumping puzzle. Halloween also had a popular jumping puzzle. These are all added content, just not permanent content. You can’t discount them if you could do them during the year.

No I don’t think Rift offered more by this point in time, and most of the stuff they did offer in their monthly events was underwhelming.

1) Not ignoring Guild Missions/New dynamic events/Jumping Puzzles, I just forgot they existed.

2) I didn’t include WvWXP for the same reason I didn’t include Notoriety farming from Rift. It’s not actual content.

3) Crab toss is akin to Rift’s Carnival of the Ascended (Ring Toss). Again, temporary content isn’t content, since new players will never get to experience that content. Notice how I didn’t mention the World Event’s that came with EVERY SINGLE PATCH since release. From River of Souls to the Carnival of Ascended. Temporary content isn’t really content. If I joined yesterday, I won’t get to see the Holiday events that already passed so why should I care if it existed at all?

The rest is just a matter of perspective and opinions.

Vayne.8563

1) Not ignoring Guild Missions/New dynamic events/Jumping Puzzles, I just forgot they existed.

2) I didn’t include WvWXP for the same reason I didn’t include Notoriety farming from Rift. It’s not actual content.

3) Crab toss is akin to Rift’s Carnival of the Ascended (Ring Toss). Again, temporary content isn’t content, since new players will never get to experience that content. Notice how I didn’t mention the World Event’s that came with EVERY SINGLE PATCH since release. From River of Souls to the Carnival of Ascended. Temporary content isn’t really content. If I joined yesterday, I won’t get to see the Holiday events that already passed so why should I care if it existed at all?

The rest is just a matter of perspective and opinions.

Temporary content is content for those there who are playing it. Those coming on board now have TONS of content they haven’t done yet, since the base game itself is many times larger than Rift was at launch.

In other words, Rift had no choice but to add permanent content because the game at launch was laughably small. Everyone said so. So they put out a relatively polished game, which was tiny and then they worked really hard to get enough stuff out to make it so that it had more content.

Guild Wars 2 put out more content up front, which they’ve spent half a year fixing because it was a lot of content. I’m sure if they had two starter zones to work with and nothing like WvW, and not have 32 dungeon paths, they’d have had a smoother launch.

A lot of people left Rift in the first six months due to lack of content. Not end game content. Over all content. It was really really a small world. Fewer zones than Guild Wars 2, smaller zones, fewer quests, nothing like a personal story. I’m not even sure how you can compare.

So if Rift added and added during their first year and Guild Wars 2 added some stuff during their first year, even with everything Rift added, even with the new zone, it’s still smaller than Guild Wars 2.

Raids were what kept Rift going.

Posted by: Rosen Myst.7641

Rosen Myst.7641

In regards to the above posts: It’s not the quantity that matters so much, it’s the quality. There’s no point in trying to compare the amount of content between two games. In the end it only matters how much fun or enjoyment a player derives from that content. Sometimes less is more as they say. Obviously some people in this thread were less than satisfied with the content in GW2 others think it’s fine. That’s how opinion works.

There’s still plenty of content I never finished in GW2. But that content like dungeons for instance is not fun for me. I don’t care for the design of the dungeons. Of course, that means I didn’t care for fractals either. I don’t care for pvp because I don’t enjoy killing other players. So there’s more content that I won’t be delving into.

I’m glad there are people who enjoy GW2. But for me GW1 will always be my all time favorite game.

Mirta.5029

I payed allmost $600, which is about average for that type of card (Evga Nvidia 680gtx).

Then it’s only more expensive than one console and not both together. Also when buying the absolute highest GPU it’s only worth it if you’re planning to keep it for 8 years.

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

I can only speak for me and my friend, who got me into GW1 years ago: Granting players that played far longer than us have better stats, turning the acquirement of BiS gear for your character, let alone any alts, from a simple short term progression with never-changing plateau into a open-ended(new tiers are fair game starting Jan 1st 2014) long term progression is an unacceptable change in core game design for us.

All other points of critique, like a weak story, characters, VA, class balance(traits, unreasonable buffs) and the focus on RNG for example we would’ve been able to deal with and still enjoy the game, but not a grindy first step on a treadmill.

Most other people I know who stopped playing GW2 complained more about the grind in general(including gear), though.

Posted by: BadHabitZz.1856

BadHabitZz.1856

- poor dungeon design
- lack of builds variety
- WvW is a mess/badly optimized engine
- daylies + laurels
- bad immersion (too much “funny” stuffs)
- few questionable mechanics (downed state for example)
- too casual/simple
- separated pvp gear/appearance
- mounts > backpack pieces (just sayin…)

This is pretty much why i stoped…

(edited by BadHabitZz.1856)