Why do people stop playing GW2?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

I think it is because GW2 isn’t a traditional MMO that doesn’t follow the holy trinity of tank, healer, dps. I simply love this idea but other people don’t feal the same way. They think its dumb and imbalanced.

GW2 isnt the frst on its genra, and its dumb, i got builds that mostly instadown several classes builds the armor they have does not matter (usually use my thief when ultra bored), same happens when i play guardian people do that do me also, this isnt play skill but just press button to win, i guess most of players dont understand how really mechanics work here.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

The game feels one dimensional, at least in PvE. All content feels the same, no matter what class you play.

How to play any class in GW2 PvE:

Get berserker armor. You will be more or less useless if you do not specc for direct damage. Most damage is done by auto-attack, take the weapon with the highest auto-attack damage for melee. Dodge in between. Done.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

The game feels one dimensional, at least in PvE. All content feels the same, no matter what class you play.

Get berserker armor. You will be more or less useless if you do not specc for direct damage. Most damage is done by auto-attack, take the weapon with the highest auto-attack damage for melee. Dodge in between. Done.

Come with me to TA Aetherpath and I will laugh as you get downed over and over and over and ove-

Yeah.

Kaiyanwan.8521

Who is running TA Aetherpath anymore. It is not efficient. It is not profitable.
Isn’t it funny that ANet is trying to shift away from berserker meta, but people do no longer want a change?

The PvE meta is berserker DD melee. Anything out of that is not going to be fruitful for a long time. It will only get worse with ascended armor. People will grind out a set of berserker and than expect it to work for all PvE content.
There is no easy way to switch, so PvE has to work. Or people will get upset. Very upset for “wasting all their hard work”.

Too late, the damage has been done.

Posted by: mhamilton.3095

mhamilton.3095

The Reason people stop playing GW2 Iis because the game is a load of crap, compared
with other games on the market.
At present I am trying to get a Warrior through the map in Malchors Leap at one skill
point while communing a Champion ports to me and oneshots me . 12 times in a row !
How the f….. is that suppose to be fun ????

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

Who is running TA Aetherpath anymore. It is not efficient. It is not profitable.

Are you playing a game, or running a manufacturing plant?

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

This right here is a prime example of why I stopped “playing” this game.
GW2 twists the minds of players and makes them believe gold and rewards are more important than fun.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Kaiyanwan.8521

How can you blame them. ANet tells you to get rich or die trying. And to farm AP or die trying.
So people run the content for the AP, like TA Aetherpath and then say, why would I do this again. No special loot waiting, no new skill to gain, no progression at all.

The only feeling of progression is by amassing AP, grinding gold and farming for either ascended or legendary weapons (and grinding for more gold).

That is it. The LS is so abyssmally bad, that no person that has ever played any other RPG would log in for the story. Events can only entertain you for so long and leveling alts reset your ascended equipment status and therefore the grind back to the start with that one.

Why do people stop playing? Most of the time I ask myself why people still play.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

How can you blame them. ANet tells you to get rich or die trying. And to farm AP or die trying.
So people run the content for the AP, like TA Aetherpath and then say, why would I do this again. No special loot waiting, no new skill to gain, no progression at all.

The only feeling of progression is by amassing AP, grinding gold and farming for either ascended or legendary weapons (and grinding for more gold).

That is it. The LS is so abyssmally bad, that no person that has ever played any other RPG would log in for the story. Events can only entertain you for so long and leveling alts reset your ascended equipment status and therefore the grind back to the start with that one.

Why do people stop playing? Most of the time I ask myself why people still play.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

It is not efficient. It is not profitable.

Might sound weird but i dont care about “efficient and profitable” when playing a game.

This reminds me a bit of a thing that happened to me in wow. Ive been a hardcore pvper for ages and been a part of some of the best pvp guilds in EU. You would think that these players would love to pvp right?

One evening i was still doing some random battlegrounds when a guy in guildchat asked me “why are you doing random battlegrounds, arent you fully geared allready”

My answer: because i love to pvp. I simply love to pvp for the sake of pvp. Nothing more nothing less.

The same applies to your statement. I play this game to play this game….not because of potential rewards.

(edited by Locuz.2651)

Kaiyanwan.8521

But the topic is about why people stop playing.

If you say you play for the sake of playing, good for you. The people who left probably had a bit higher expectations, so it’s their own fault after all.

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

But the topic is about why people stop playing.

If you say you play for the sake of playing, good for you. The people who left probably had a bit higher expectations, so it’s their own fault after all.

My post was about questioning the entire mindset.

Imagine that an MMO launches in the near future. That MMO will have the most amazing instances and pvp ever released in any MMO. But the most effcient way to get currency and pvp gear is by doing the most boring and grindy content you can imagine (think wow archeology).

You would literally stop that game because you ignore all the cool stuff and go straight for the efficient content? (Which you end up hating because it sucks).

Its such a weird way of thinking, thats all im saying.

And if i had to give my own two reasons:

- If something better comes along.
- If i stop enjoying myself.

(edited by Locuz.2651)

Posted by: matjazmuhic.1649

matjazmuhic.1649

There’s a lot of small reasons I’m not playing anymore. But the one big reason is that the game is not what it used to be, they went in totally different direction from what I expected (and from what they state in the begining).

I had hope for this game few months ago now I still miss playing it but every time I log in I just run around doing nothing for 10min and log out. Heard alot of friends are doing the same.

I still read forums once or twice a month to see what’s happening though.

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

I haven’t stopped play, but i find myself playing less than ever and sincerely, i don’t regret it.

After countless of reasons, only one stands; Arena.net refusal to balance Overpower classes.

Well, lately out of nowhere, there seem to be an answer to my reasons, in the Dec 10 balance preview patch.

So my question to Arena.net, why take 1 year to balance the Op classes?

Were you not aware of their Overpowered status in the begining?

What did you gain by your refusal to balance them in the beginning? or soon after the majority of the community kept pressing you on their Outrageous Overpower status?

Or was it all Intended to begin with?

Why the change, all sudden?

what made you change from your vision from a Guild Wars 2 World of Favoritism to a Guild Wars 2 World of Fairness?

What guarantee will you give us the remaining players including new players, from ever repeating this again?

As i said too many times; I do want Guild wars 2 to succeed Arena.net, it all lies in your hand; to either be the voice of the people or to continue be the voice of our tormentors; who pride themselves in breaking your beautiful world, at will.

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

i havent stopped playing but i play alot less and i find if i play for two days in a row the second day ill be so bored of the game that sometimes i find myself falling asleep. Ive experienced many parts of the game and ive mastered (or at least have come close to mastering) the things i really like and now all thats left to do is to make more characters but theyre just a pain now. but im planning on leaving in a couple of weeks, theres just so little change in anets mindset especially when it comes to LS. Maybe ill come back when they add some new areas

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

I had high hopes for WvW, and that has been pretty crushed. If its not player vs door, its getting run over by a 50 man zerg, or when youre running to catch up with your teammates some 5 man vulture team will pick you off, immobilize stacking, orbs/ sigil stacks, siege monkeys, no real way to tank or heal (missing the holy trinity)…
The PvE content is an absolute joke. Everything is super easy because the AI is non existant.
PvP I dont really have an interest in anymore. It was fun for a while but it lost its appeal when I started to get into WvW. Anet wants the game to be an eSport so badly I feel other aspects of the game arent getting much attention.
The biggest problem I have is the trait system and number of skills. Anyone who has played GW1 knows what I’m talking about. The trait system is one dimensional and shallow, being able to go deep into skill trees and creating new builds is the main appeal I have for mmos. The number of skills available to each profession is a joke.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

There are so many reasons why players leave games, for me personally it was a few things.

Ascended Grind Tier added in a game that has no use for it. (Really Ascended only causes problems).
RNG heavy, DR stupidity, Nerf everything mentality.
The game is obsessed with its economy, to a point its killed all fun.
Anets lack of Fixes/Balance and real Content updates
Everything is a grind (to me anything worth doing in this game is a tedious grind)
Anets lack of Communication on all aspects.
Limited Cash Shop, with a focus on useless items.
Very Limited builds and build changes are way to expensive on the player.
No Rangers without Pets (yea i liked GW1 version better)

(edited by Dante.1508)

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Leaving and coming back is no longer an option. Many friends tried it but are disappointed of how far behind they are in: fractal level, ascended grinding, the new crafting to 500 and getting 500 dragonites for a single weapon, laurels, guild commendations and all the many many skins they missed and will never return. They now feel that if they want to “catch up” they have to grind and farm harder than any other game that actually has a treadmill.

Face it, GW2 is closer to Wow than GW1.

I disagree that it is closer to WoW…I just think that aside from a really cool nice leveling experience 1-80, at max level the game because like every other mmo. Its no unique snowflake anymore. Grind, craft, grind, grind, grind.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

There’s a lot of small reasons I’m not playing anymore. But the one big reason is that the game is not what it used to be, they went in totally different direction from what I expected (and from what they state in the begining).

I had hope for this game few months ago now I still miss playing it but every time I log in I just run around doing nothing for 10min log out. Heard alot of friends are doing the same.

I still read forums once or twice a month to see what’s happening though.

Yeah, I find myself logging in for daillies, and if I have any LS achievements to grind out I try to do those. Once done with LS achievements, I log out. I wish there were a point to simply play the game, any part of the game, be “on par” with everyone else, but there isnt. I wish I could go to my favorite zone and run some DEs, but I can’t because no one else will be around. Everyone is in WvW, dungeons, Queensdale or Kessex.

If I want to stay ahead of inflation in this game, I need to run with the zerg.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Dracones.9105

Dracones.9105

I quit because I got tired of spamming chat LFG to try to find a group for dungeon runs. The game itself I always found to be really fun, it’s just that I don’t care for single player MMO’s.

Any online game for me needs to have pretty instant group access. FPS games have always given me this experience and I don’t really understand why MMO developers think they don’t need to provide it. I want to get in, hook up with a PUG and be in a dungeon within a couple minutes of logging into their game.

WoW tends to pull me back now and again because of its group finder, but even with that if I’m not playing a tank or healer(both of which are stressful), it’s a 30 minute wait as DPS which just isn’t the gaming experience I want.

But it sounds like GW2 has added a somewhat decent LFG tool recently so I’m re-installing now to check that out. However… casual group content is key IMO for these games. I remember the 2012 Mad King Halloween event and that thing was just pure awesome fun. Easy to get into, not too hard, didn’t take long to run and groups were forming within a minute, any level could join.

I’ve been playing MMO’s since EQ 1’s beta and that made it into my top 10 MMO experiences.

Posted by: Azo.5860

Azo.5860

cuz of still no offical GvG.. not have endgame..

Azolina – Mesmer
“There Is No Shame In Not Knowing; the Shame Lies In Not Finding Out.”

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

I stopped playing a while ago because I don’t enjoy the way Anet makes decisions. The way they design content, write it and publish it seems to me like they employed a lot of people who just finished school.

Posted by: Gardavil.1762

Gardavil.1762

I only know why I stopped playing GW2, and won’t speak for others: in two parts…

Reason One: I started playing GW2 because of GW and how much I loved it… and it had Healers…. and I was fully aware, educated, and informed, that GW2 had NO Healing Class, just ever class has their own self Heals.

Well after playing for a while, trying out all classes except for Mesmer (I hate Psionics in any game) I came to the conclusion that I didn’t feel comfortable here without being able to run a Class that is a Healer by design.

Reason Two: I am getting older in RL, I no have a physical handicap that damaged my hands and arms, so playing MMO the way I used to isn’t working anymore. I can only get about 3/4 of exploration done because some of the locations I simply can not maneuver my character to like I could have years ago. Dodging? I don’t do it well at all to be honest, and the higher in level I climbed the more it was needed.

Also I loved RvR years ago in that other MMO, and I tried WvWvW, and even though I love it, I myself am nothing but an easy target now, I am just more points for the enemy Worlds. I am just too slow.

So what may work well for thousands of other Players was strike outs for me. That happens. I did enjoy myself but this MMO is not what I was looking for. I gave GW2 a good college try but it is me that is not up to Par.

stumble stumble crawl crawl

(edited by Gardavil.1762)

Posted by: Araris.7839

Araris.7839

After you’re done with alts and leveling, players focus on end game in an mmo. GW2 has no end game. Players finish leveling, and then quit. Plain and simple.

Posted by: coiwob.7289

coiwob.7289

Its not necessarily that I’ve stopped playing entirely, I just play a lot less than at launch. Personally, I like the combat style and the way professions are setup in WoW a lot better than in GW2. True, GW2 has much better graphics and has no subscription fee but that doesn’t make a bit difference to me. I also like WoW’s endgame better and I really dislike GW2’s dungeons. Also I have more friends who play WoW and a lot of my guildies that used to play have stopped as well.

So as I said, I haven’t completely stopped playing but I’m definitely playing a lot less than I was.

Xae Isareth.1364

The Reason people stop playing GW2 Iis because the game is a load of crap, compared
with other games on the market.
At present I am trying to get a Warrior through the map in Malchors Leap at one skill
point while communing a Champion ports to me and oneshots me . 12 times in a row !
How the f….. is that suppose to be fun ????

Get some friends to help. Also, just out of curiosity, if the game’s a load of crap, why are you still playing?

Xae Isareth.1364

People will grind out a set of berserker and than expect it to work for all PvE content.

And thats why I kick all those zerker facerollers who ends up eating dirt all the time. Someone’s gotta start the education.

Posted by: Cina Reas.6938

Cina Reas.6938

People will grind out a set of berserker and than expect it to work for all PvE content.

And thats why I kick all those zerker facerollers who ends up eating dirt all the time. Someone’s gotta start the education.

Another reason why people stop playing.

Grind Wars 2; the game that ate my brain.

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

Too many other games to play.

Are you Shpongled?

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

I still play, but very little.

Reasons are mainly:

- Lack of endgame challenge.
Beside Fractals and Teq, the rest of the game seems to be made for you to win.
I miss GW1’s ways of tearing you apart with enemy “teams” composed of healer+nec+mes+warriors… this gave me that “baldur’s gate” feel, while single bosses doing sporadic oneshots and phases is more WoW-like than Baldur-like.

- Lack of own char’s purpose.
Not sure how to explain this. In GW2 I sort of feel like my char is being a simple witness of events, a watcher.
The world plays itself, I don’t feel like I am needed, or that something is challenging me or my race or my belongings.
I.E. say Centaurs would drive a serious siege to DR, where you must defend or lose the city, I would fight.
But so far, I just feel like a spectator. Like the world doesn’t need me.

- Lack of guild purpose.
While GW2 has developed the guild system a bit during this year, there is still little do to with your guild.
Guild Quests are kind of a time killer or something you do for badges – but there is no real common goal beyond recruiting and mauling people in WvW.
Of course, challenging content that requires coordination would fix this, but as I said in point 1 there is very little.

When Anet added Fractals I was so happy. I thought they were determined to add some very hard places like they did back in the early 2000s with Furnace, then FoW/UW.
But then somehow the direction changed, as if Fractals were all that GW2 needed, and then it’d be just about stories and more stories.

That being said tho, it’s not like I’m playing any other MMO.
If I was to immerse into a MMO, this one would be it.

(edited by Red Falcon.8257)

Posted by: neostars.7029

neostars.7029

For me it the lack of gear progression and challenging dungeon content – raid / guild.
I still play but only because no other game really interest me.
Waiting for Diablo 3 ROS and HoTS.

Sea of Sorrows
(Level 80 Ranger/Guardian)

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I’m almost an exclusively PVE open landscape player. (I’ve enjoyed dungeons in other games, but I don’t have any firends playing GW2 right now and I find PUG groups too speedrun orientated.) So, this feedback is my entirely personal feedback focused around PVE open world from the perspective of someone who works full time with a family and thus limited to ‘casual’ levels play 1-3 hours per day, 5-6 days per week.
<snip>
3. Z2W: Zerg to Win

Is it me or is everything lucrative (tied to 5 below) in this game tied to a zerg? Pavilion, Invasions, World Bosses, Temples. So I’m pushed toward content where I as an individual I contribute little to the overall outcome and the risk is minimal along with potential maximum frame rates. I don’t mind being the faceless foot-soldier watching a PowerPoint slideshow of GW2 from time-to-time but when it is the easiest way of ‘succeeding’ in open world PvE that removes a lot of excitement and adventure.

4. RNG

Risk vs. reward in this game is totally off. I can spend 10 minutes taking down a serious boss and be rewarded with a blue. Then I open a chest from the simple jumping puzzle in Lion’s Arch I’ve been grinding umpteen times for the mats and boom, a rare exotic that goes for 5g. I rewarded myself for such good fortune by taking a couple of days off grinding the world event zergs for yellows and rare mats (tied to 5 below) so I could actually spend a couple of evenings – wait for it – playing how I want to play!

If there’s one thing that would stop me playing the game it’s some of the points you posted here.

First, the zerg. I hate that. Simple, pure, hatred. This game is too beautiful to just spend walking along one single path. But, the zerg is the most efficient way to gain gold. Kill 10 foes in 10 minutes will give you more loot than killing 1 foe in 10 minutes.

That brings the second thing I hate: the RNG in drops. The only reason the zerg is most efficient is because if you kill 10 foes in those 10 minutes, you have a larger chance of getting good loot than when you kill 1 foe in 10 minutes. The fact that you did 4% of the total damage against those 10 foes (as you had about two dozen other persons around you killing those 10 foes) doesn’t count. You did enough to get loot. While if I go alone against that single foe (which takes me 10 minutes to kill) and did 100% of the damage, I get exactly the same result. And that simply doesn’t feel right and unfair.

But, I still play, mostly by ignoring the zergs and giving up on getting nice skins.

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

I’m still playing after more than an year and the only things that bother me much are those silly RNG tickets for skins.

Everything else is about the playerbase, not the game itself. Alot of people just want to mold the game to their own preferences, mostly of difficulty, ignoring those of other players, while the game should be fit for everyone.

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

(edited by Hermes.7014)

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I’m still playing after more than an year and the only things that bother me much are those silly RNG tickets for skins.

Everything else is about the playerbase, not the game itself. Alot of people just want to mold the game to their own preferences, mostly of difficulty, ignoring those of other players, while the game should be fit for everyone.

The problem starts when the two play styles clash. Like when you’re being called a troll if you kill a “zerg champion” out of order. Or recently, when you kill a champion who doesn’t have the sickness before it gains it.

Posted by: McSlappy.1372

McSlappy.1372

Well I gave it an honest shot after leaving after the Ascended release last year. I’ve decided to leave again after WvW Season One is over. Given the purpose of the thread I’ll state way.

In a nut shell this game is nothing but unrewarding grind. In the last 4 weeks I’ve leveled up a war from 1 to 80. Got it nearly completely decked out in crafted Exotic gear and am probably a week or two away from farming out my ascended GS. But the amount of grind to make it is honestly not worth the time. I’ve been doing PvE waiting for hours to get in to WvW and it’s been like grinding teeth. Orr is solid mobs which I’ve basically gotten around but just tanking and regen to the point of I out regen 5+ Orr mobs. Then just run around as if their not there because theirs TONS of them and they don’t drop loot even if you bother to kill them. I’ve been watching and gotten two exotic drops as loot.

So basically you grind out tons of stuff and get hardly any money for it. Then I look at how much gold you can buy for gems. First thought was OMG it is totally pay to win. I could drop $20 and have my ascended sword done tonight. Or 1-2 weeks worth of hellish grinding. So we’ll see what drops from the WvW chest at the end for the meta achievement but if it’s not something totally awesome after all the work over the last two months this will be an uninstall and recommend to pretty much everyone I know and all forums to steer very clear of this garbage.

Posted by: DarkSpirit.7046

DarkSpirit.7046

Despite it being called GW 2 and it is obviously marketed to GW 1 player as a successor to GW1, its design philosophy couldn’t have been more different from GW1. I am talking about night-and-day kind of differences like 180 degrees change in directions.

For GW1, it is a lot easier to find maxed equipment. GW2 maxed equipment are ascended/legendary weapons and armor. After playing for more than a year in GW2, I am still not able to equip all my characters with ascended gear. There is also no such thing as account bound items so things are more free flowing and trade-able. GW1 is a more casual friendly game and rewarding game. In GW2, you can kill a veteran and still get junk.

GW2 basically takes what makes GW1 great and unique then does the opposite. Perhaps this game is not for me even though I tried to like it, like I did all 8 years of GW1 but it is just too frustrating. The games feel like they were created by entirely different companies.

The build system in GW2 is so shallow it is just not engaging enough. Yes, I know that they wanted to make it easier to balance, but at what cost? Most characters in GW2 all use berserker weapons, armor and trinkets with almost the same build. The only difference is cosmetic. There is no build variety and diversity like in GW1. This makes the GW2 build system blend and uninteresting.

GW2 is all about zerg and uses RNG and account/soul binding items to the extreme.

(edited by DarkSpirit.7046)

Posted by: lolnotacat.9814

lolnotacat.9814

In all honesty, I just don’t find the game to be all that entertaining.

Like DarkSpirit said, the game was heavily marketed to GW1 players, but failed to deliver on what made GW1 fun for me. I enjoyed having a plethora of builds I could use depending on the situation. It was also fun experimenting with guildies when trying to find new ways to complete content (Splinter B/P in Urgoz’ Warren was a fun disaster). In GW1, the simple act of vanquishing an area or doing a hardmode mission was actually fun! Granted, I hated doing grinding for reputation or other “achievements”, but grinding sucks in every game.

Also, GW1 forced players to be social. Guilds had their uses. Not only were there guild halls and guild battles, but being only in 1 guild required us to interact and get to know one another, even for seemingly trivial things. Sure, that’s been severely negated with heroes and improved henchie AI (oh god, how bad were Lina and Little Thom when the game first came out?) but I would still rather clear a mission, dungeon, or quest with an experienced group than use heroes/henchmen.

One of the reasons I played GW1 regularly for nearly 7 years was also because of the ease of getting to max level and fully geared. I could make a new character, try it out, play with some builds, and work with my team. If I didn’t like it, I didn’t feel like I was really losing anything because of the minimal investment in the character. In GW2, the gameplay can change drastically over the leveling process. A level 10 Ranger does not play like a level 80 Ranger, and if I happen to dislike the playstyle of the 80 ranger, all that time spent leveling and acquiring rare or exotic gear seems like a waste.

1/2

Posted by: lolnotacat.9814

lolnotacat.9814

2/2

Finally, whenever I play Guild Wars 2, Mike O’Brien’s manifesto keeps going through my head, particularly the big, bolded titles on the manifesto page. https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-design-manifesto/

Shouldn’t great MMORPGs be great RPGs too?

Guild Wars 2 is not a great RPG. Infact, as far as RPGs go, it’s mediocre at best. The writing, voice acting, and machinima(?) is so bad half the time it’s actually laughable. Despite having great talent like Steven Blum and Claudia Christian, the ONLY part of the story that had ever stood out to me was Tybalt’s death. The living story content…hell, I don’t even need to go into that. The living story threads elaborate far more than I ever could. And the quests/leveling; if anything they make me feel more detached from the game world. Oh noes, it’s been 5 minutes, save my hay (again!) from the bandits!

It’s time to make MMORPGs more social

Guild Wars 2 is NOT more social. Infact, if anything, GW2 is a very anti-social game. Social interactions in games spring up from necessity, forced or accidental. In GW1, this was obviously facilitated by the need to use a party to complete 99% of the game’s PVE content. And really difficult content (Urgoz’ Warren or the Deep at Factions’ launch come to mind) absolutely required a good team (usually guild members) who could strategize and communicate. You practically needed to join a good guild to have any chance at most PVP as well. But, in GW2, there’s no reason to get to know who you’re partying up with. As long as you have zerker gear and know the path, why bother? And since any combination of classes can clear content (although some combinations are much better at it than others) there’s little reason to stand out or learn which individuals are good at their class on your server. It almost feels like queueing up for a heroics run in WoW.

But, to make matters worse, social interaction is curtailed further because the game’s economy actually disincentivizes interaction. Every character can learn every trade. Everyone can collect every node, and trading with others without using the TP is impossible. So, instead of relying on other players to gather and craft, players can either do everything themselves, or just head to the TP, which has absolutely zero interaction, for their needs. It may not have been a great solution, but at least the trade channel in GW1 promoted people to message one another to trade. And while the upside to your system definitely helps with competition for resources, it (along with the loss of the trinity) gives players no reason to interact at the most fundamental reason why people are social and interact; to engage in the division of labor.

Rethinking combat

This is something I have very mixed feelings about. I really want to like the more twitch based combat. I like dodging and the need for positioning. I like having skills which I can use as gap closers or allow me to jump back and evade. But, to me, combat feels unfinished, particularly because of the lack of skills/trinity. Since the classes are no longer complete specialists, they have become jack of all trades; good at everything, but great at nothing. To me at least, that’s boring. I miss hopping on my ranger because I was great at using traps for CC, or timing my distracting shot, broad head arrow, and savage shot. I was known in my guild specifically for those skills. It made me stand out. It was also a large part of what promoted my social interaction in the game.

I’m sorry I wound up vomiting this essay when I was originally going for a short, to the point response, but I really do think the game has a lot of potential, which is why I keep coming back every few months to check it out. Unfortunately, It just seems like this game is turning into a modern Star Wars Galaxies. I hope that isn’t the case, but I don’t think I’ll be holding my breath.

(edited by lolnotacat.9814)

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I didn’t stop, but reduced the play time drastically (maybe 2-3h per week). Mainly be cause lack of content: no new areas, no dragons, no main story progression etc. I made 3 legendaries and leveled to 80 with 6 professions (the other 2 nearly 80 too).

I just wait and hope that they will dish out an expansion or an update woth an expansion. If they don’t do that, I won’t coming back in a serious way.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

This right here is a prime example of why I stopped “playing” this game.
GW2 twists the minds of players and makes them believe gold and rewards are more important than fun.

Guild Wars 2 did that? No, that is just MMO. Go to any MMO out there and you will see that same mentality over and over and over again.

Posted by: neko.9028

neko.9028

It is hard to not have one shallow combat when every class is the same. In a game where there’s no tanks, no control, no healers there’s only one thing left; and that is DPS.

In this game the AR of enemies is fair, but their healthpool is very high, making it only good with direct damage. And that’s why the meta is warriors; they have the highest DPS in the game.

The combat is shallow and that’s why everything feels the same. Everyone has only one thing to do; watch yourself. There’s no team play in this game, just group play.

mehh

Posted by: GuildWarsPlayer.5608

GuildWarsPlayer.5608

They stop, but always return.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

GW2 is still probably the best MMO for anyone who’s looking to start playing an MMO. However, the replay value is a bit sparse.

If you love the mini temporary living story content or if you like farming world bosses in zerg circles, there’s plenty to do. However, most everything else hasn’t had much of a big update in a while.

Fractals was the only substantial dungeon addition since launch, but even as great as it was, it’s just about a year old now.

WvW has received some small tweaks, but at least there’s a new map coming out soon.

sPvP has received some new maps, but they are still pretty much the same conquest stuff we’ve had since launch.

What we haven’t seen:
– New profession skills
– New race
– New class
– Instanced content for groups larger than 5

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I frequently get depressed (overstatement, it’s just a game) about the direction of the game. I feel like you have to work quite hard to get quite little. ANet rewards things you don’t like doing in order to get you to do them, and doesn’t reward things that are fun.

The game is so very different from what I thought it would be. So much more grindy. So much more tedious. Each update is just more of the same zergy combat. Who cares what we are fighting if it kills us before we can do anything if not in a zerg and we kill it before it can do anything if we are in a zerg?

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I frequently get depressed (overstatement, it’s just a game) about the direction of the game. I feel like you have to work quite hard to get quite little. ANet rewards things you don’t like doing in order to get you to do them, and doesn’t reward things that are fun.

The game is so very different from what I thought it would be. So much more grindy. So much more tedious. Each update is just more of the same zergy combat. Who cares what we are fighting if it kills us before we can do anything if not in a zerg and we kill it before it can do anything if we are in a zerg?

Yea, I agree with this. One of the hardest things for me to deal with in the game now is how different it is compared to what it was supposed to be. So much of PvE is all about grinding bosses and gear, which is almost comical considering that there’s almost nothing that makes use of better gear. There’s one dungeon in the entire game that requires special gearing (Fractals) and it’s been around and has been the same for close to a year now.

I feel little to no reason to group with friends for anything in the current state of the game. Dungeons are all outdated and sPvP only really works well if you have exactly 5 people with you.

I still don’t have any draw to WvW. Between the player size and the game length, your effort does almost nothing to make a difference and the outcome of the game doesn’t really matter anyways. Back in GW1, a solid group of players could win HoH and doing so would be announced to the entire playerbase while unlocking the premier PvE content.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

I stopped playing Guild Wars 2 because I have been playing it exclusively for 3 months now, getting to the burn-out point despite how fun it is. This is just how my cycle goes, play an MMO for 3 months straight and then take a break from it for a 2-3 months, and then come back for another 3 months. I don’t play any other MMO in between, instead I play lots of my single player games. Tomorrow I will start to play X:Rebirth, since space sims are my favorite genre of all. I also started to play Legend of Grimrock and having a blast playing that.

So some people who are stopping are like me, after dedicated playing we stop for a while before reaching the full on burn out point, doesn’t matter how fun a game is or how excellent it is, it is still always possible to hit a burn out point and one needs to take a break from it.

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

It is hard to not have one shallow combat when every class is the same. In a game where there’s no tanks, no control, no healers there’s only one thing left; and that is DPS.

In this game the AR of enemies is fair, but their healthpool is very high, making it only good with direct damage. And that’s why the meta is warriors; they have the highest DPS in the game.

The combat is shallow and that’s why everything feels the same. Everyone has only one thing to do; watch yourself. There’s no team play in this game, just group play.

Did you ever read a post and just feel very, very sad for the person that posted it?

Ever read a response and realize that person didnt fully understand the op?

I agree 100% with the shallow combat and lack of synergy with players. Why would I not go dps? Combos are random and not planned. Zerg and dodge are mechanics for the entire game. One shots make healing and toughness builds non viable. I can do events while going afk. I don’t even have to think when playing.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

To start off, part of the problem is that people (including myself) expected more of the core systems that made GW stellar to be updated and brought forward (like the skill and build system). Barring basic lore, GW2 is essentially a totally unrelated game.

The way I see it, GW2 had four elements that had huge potential for keeping players interested in the long term:

• Exploration – There’s no denying that Tyria is beautiful. Unfortunately, exploration and expansion into new areas of Tyria have been largely ignored.
  • Living Story – Continuous story updates had huge potential, but they’ve been so poorly handled (in general due to horrible scripting, negligible impact, and mediocre content) that many have given up on it. The few exceptional updates (Bazaar) have not been enough to counterbalance the poor ones.
  • WvW – This was a huge selling point for the game. It’s the biggest reason why many of my friends bought the game. But again, it’s been handled so poorly (primarily the broken matchmaking system) that it may as well not exist anymore as far as I’m concerned.
  • sPvP – People expected PvP on the level that GW had. I don’t PvP, but evidently that hasn’t happened.

The only other long term goal left is achievements, of which there are plenty, but why would anyone concern themselves with achievements in a game where large portions of the content have become major frustrations and continuous disappointment?

So, looking at those things, I suppose my over-arching answer to why people would choose to leave is that their favorite major aspects of the game have become frustrating for many varied reasons (never a good sign in a game), but primarily because ANet is not handling those individual aspects of the game well at all.

One last thought: despite the game being buy-to-play, the gem store is a gigantic turn-off to many people, whether or not you can buy things with in-game currency, and ANet has gradually turned it into one of the primary sources of game “rewards”.

If ANet can turn some of these trends around, they’ll likely see some of their ex-players return.

(edited by Vick.6805)

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

I wont be as the title “stop playing”, this is a b2p so I will at times log in the future, I just will stop supporting it financially (only support one mmo at a time). I will point out for gamers thinking of buying GW2 that it is well worth the shelf price for the content.

That being said, why will GW2 not be my “main”?

Trinity- I miss it, flat out. I have now had first hand experience on what happens to a MMO when it has no hard trinity, ZergZergZerg.

Granted I don’t miss from trinity based MMO’s “lfm healer/tank” etc..but that in no way trump all the good trinity brings to a mmo gameplay and community.

B2P/F2P- RNG boxes, Gemstore only items (soulbound makes it worse), new content benefiting gem store more so than gameplay. Sub for me now on.

Beta- This game seems it was released 1year early, past year has seemed like one big beta.

Optimization- Is just bad. Not only has it been bad, but once again feeling like a beta. To touch further on this, GW2 doesn’t seem like it can handle GW2! Why build something on a structure that can’t handle it (culling, cond, spell particle, skill lag, etc..)?

Fun factor- This point changes on the player, imo Anet lacks a fun department. Based on reasons given above. They seem to do well sterilizing content, “balance”, and community relations.

GW2 has made a great puddle hopper waiting for NCsoft other title that fits more of my style of MMO.

JQ Druid

Posted by: Zalman.8719

Zalman.8719

Because it’s a dissapointment. GW1 was fun just by playing the game. Mindless gear for a piece of gear is not worth it.
I did everything I wanted, seen everything I wanted but the game doesn’t give more interesting points or events to keep me here.
WvW is fun IF you’re on the right server. Otherwise you’re zerged.
Pve is not interesting anymore. I’ve been playing for a year and done every meta event,dungeon a lot of times. Dungeons, stacking in every corner is not fun. I’ve done them so many times, they can’t show me anything new now.
Legendaries. Pretty items put behind a curse called RNG. The worst part of any game ever. LS, if they won’t change their ways, I’m done with this. Not interesting, minimal, unrelated story, with grinding. No, thank you.
Zerging, running in a big mob mindlessly is not cutting it, sorry.
Then comes ascended. Not only kills a part of the lore, but I’m always wondering “What’s the point of this” ? What was the problem with exotics? Why they have to be replaced? Found no logical reasons for that. I’ve had high expectations after GW1, I admit. But this…I never was this patient with any game yet. Will be around to see the changes though. But I find myself playing less and less and less…