Why do you play the class you play.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: jknrich.1549

jknrich.1549

I’m a little stuck with what to make my next 80. And need your input with what makes you play the class you play. Why do you log on and keep levelling, levelling that class.

Thanks.

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

I play 5 toons…. I like them all as they all have unique parts to play.

I use my Warrior when I want to bring high DPS.
I use my Guardian when I want more stability and survivability but still good DPS.
I use my Engineer because he has so many fun tools and gadgets to use that I can change my build up often and feel like it’s a new character.
I use my Elementalist for fun. I love swapping attunements while I dance around dropping fire/earth/water/air fields all over the place.
I use my Thief in WvW as I love being able to stealth and run around where ever I like.

Their all fun. I have a Ranger too but haven’t used him much and still want to get 2 more slots so I can have all the professions.

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

Posted by: ArthurDent.9538

ArthurDent.9538

I love playing my ele simply because it is fun. 4 weapon sets > 2 at least from an interesting perspective.

14 Dungeon paths soloed
Lupi solos on 9/9 professions
Wost Engi NA

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

Guardian when I feel like surviving stuff and come out with a very good DPS. Also it is the character that has gotten all the good looking skins, weapons, minis and the one I use the commander tag the most in PvE events.

My elementalist is my go-to in WvW and some dungeon paths. I also use its commander tag but mostly in WvW when there is nobody repping or in some guild misions where they need ranged DPS

My mesmer is still a baby kinda, but Im starting to use it more often to fullfil what the guardian and ele do alone; DPS while getting utility out of it.

Warrior and thief when I feel like having an easy time and faceroll people, then I feel bad for playing such cheap classes and let them sit in the character screen for another good month

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

I started on the ranger but hated how the pet ai handled. I then swapped to thief and played that alot, tons of wvw. That got boring really fast, so i swapped to my low level mesmer. Been roaming with that in wvw for the last few weeks and freakin love it. Has the stealthy aspect but requires a lot more than the thief. Tons of fun.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I have them all but still leveling an engineer. I cant quite get into the class but this was my least wanted class in whole of guild wars.

I like to play my ranger in wvw because I like the control it has on a distance. What I dont like is the squishyniss my current ranger has. I got a new build from one of the players in wvw but need new gear completly.
I use my d/d ele because it has unique gameplay, nothing in the game plays like the d/d ele in my opinion.
I play necro because in wvw it gives me a build to slowly chip away small groups or solo players. It’s a nice change from burst damage.
My warrior is getting some more love after the 10th december patch because it could change the way you need to gear/trait and play. Dont care for warrior too much right now.
Thief is also fun to play, but for me hard to master. I am noway near as good as some of the thiefs I meet in wvw. But I like to be.
Guardian is on my what to do with this profession list. I have no idea to make it zerg proof or small group proof. Staff or hammer, I just dont know yet.
I sometimes use my mesmer, but not very efficient. Shatter builds look like fun while perplexity abuse looks terrible unfun.

My problem is that I cannot decide what to main and get max gear for. :/

Posted by: Oghier.7419

Oghier.7419

Thief My current main. The gameplay style is action-based, challenging and fun. The thief is a great solo character in WvW or PvE.

Staff Elementalist My favorite alt right now. In groups, especially large groups in WvW, I feel like he contributes more than any other class I could play. Some of the powers are also just fun to use (meteor storm!)

Guardian Specced heal/ tank. He’s blindingly easy to play. Unlike my staff ele, I can play the guard with a beer in one hand and one eye on the TV, and I still never die.

Alts rock!

Snit Dirtnap (Thief)
Ratbag Dogsticker (Guardian)
…Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Imbune.5497

Imbune.5497

The only two classes I play (albeit that has become a rare thing now) are Guardian and mesmer-tried everything else and wasn’t impressed. I was always a fan of defense and the aesthetic of the guardian (blue fire ftw…and norn t3, not going to lie) was really appealing, the mesmer kind of reminded me of the pscionicist-a control class with clones that I liked from another mmorpg that’s why I stuck with those two. However as time went on I started liking the mesmer less and less as it just felt I wasn’t particularly useful outside of a 210s elite, unlike the pscionicst int that other game and compared to what my Guardian could do. Recently I’ve been entertaining the notion of re-leveling a ranger as the thief is just horrid and I like to have one profession of each armor type…no deep reason behind this-just something I need to do.

This is from a non-fractal, non-elitist, non-role playing pve oriented perspective (basically I’m not obsessed with white numbers, like having utility and spending time in regular dungeons and open world events).

When free speech ends, tyranny begins.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name.

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

My main is an elementalist.

I chose it because after having played a warrior in WoW for 5 years I got extremely tired of just swinging a sword.
So when I saw the Yogscast’s elementalist spotlight I was absolutely mesmerized by the ridicolous amount of different spell animations. I was sold.

I do have a warrior now as well – because I need to have one – but I rarely play it, and then I have ever class except mesmer and guardian.
I just don’t connect with those two.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: Krispera.5087

Krispera.5087

Main mesmer. I thought gw2 mesmer would still be the same as gw1 mesmer : shutdown, hexes, mind play, etc. Leveled it anyway and still playing it despite being a little upset.

Guardian : Because I wanted an easy open world event mob killers (like Clockwerk Chaos and Queen Jubilee)

Engineer and Elementalist : Wanted to challenge my multitasking. Probably one of the hardest professions for me.

Ranger : Wanted to play more easily while having a stronger AI pet.

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

Elementalist- because it has the most appealing aesthetic and play style for me.

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

Posted by: Zyst.3514

Zyst.3514

Well, i have 6 classes.

Primary, ranger. With a tanking set and traps, ranger can survive alot of aggro by laying frost trap and kiting around dps’ing, this constant dps and the fun i get supporting my group and making the dungeon easier for everyone keeps bringing me back. It is low dps, but high control, feels more like leading a group than being the star player.

Warrior. Greatsword, spam hits for 15k, enough said. Good for joining those elitist groups or just the fun of seeing large numbers occasionally. Survives better than guardian does, but less than ranger as it feels like swapping to a ranged wep on warrior is a waste of time (no big dps).

Guardian. Supporting group with shouts and staff and reflects, and being accepted into any group makes this a good group class for support oriented players.

Mesmer. Spamming reflects and illusions, but low dps, its still a very fun class to play, specially in wvw, watching the zergs fall after spamming their ranged attacks into reflect bubble, or supporting the zerg with portals and veils.

Elementalist. Built it as glass, It dies way too fast so i rarely play it, will sometimes bring it to AC for ice bows. (probably needs a rebuild, lol)

Necro. My primary for wvw. Necros can tank whole zergs while punishing attackers, or lay large amounts of aoe. Never tried a minion build shrug. Necro is great as a pressure class that survives very easily, with double health(lifeforce), and utilities to help survival.

On the subject of engineers and thiefs, I can’t stand how slow it is lvl’ing a char from 20 with empty zones, and refuse to farm the champ train. Thus they have been neglected for a long time, though this new lvl up thru glory and gold might get me playing them again, specially if i can boost to 35 then join some ac exp with friends to level. For pvp, i’ve only heard glowing praise for these 2 classes, and i’ve seen the solo engineers and thieves owning ppl, but just the time investment.

Ranger main, no matter what nerf bat they hit us with!
SF guild on Jade Quarry.
Fav pet; Reef Drake

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

I have an ele, mesmer, necro, and ranger. My ele is primarily for wvw zerg fighting & dungeons. My mesmer is for wvw roaming/small groups. My necro and ranger are pretty much only pulled out of hibernation for harvesting t6 nodes. I find the ele more useful in large fights, but I feel like I have better defense and utilities on my mesmer for small fights. I have no problem bringing any of them to world bosses.

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

Ranger because it’s fun. Great survivability even with zerk gear. Cute pet.

I have 4 classes at 80 now and really only play the Ranger. Necro isn’t as good at tagging mobs, I die pretty much instantly when I try to play warrior, waiting for crafting update to gear Guardian, but not too hopeful that she will replace Ranger as main due to the annoyance of having to use a staff and make a symbol on cooldown to go fast. Ranger is the best casual class by far, which is why so many people complain about bad Rangers, and so many people play Ranger anyway.

Posted by: STRanger.5120

STRanger.5120

Ele (main): I just love the class, it’s not easy to play, that’s maybe the reason.

Engi(Alt lvl 70): It’s fun throwing nades here and there, pop, putting bombs here and there, pop, burning the hell outta enemies, you get the idea Another difficult to play proffesion.

I have two other 80s, but I don’t play them, easy = boring for me….

#ELEtism 4ever

Posted by: Wiseman.4075

Wiseman.4075

I leveled all professions to 80 to know thy enemy…I ended up really enjoying all the professions but they all have issues that drive me crazy. I’m mostly a WvW player so I may have leveled a profession once in PvE but the rest have been in WvW. So what kept me leveling them was the enjoyment of a new style of play and learning the pros and cons of the profession.

Favorites:
Engineer: can do anything your imagination can think of as long as you build for it. Engi profession is like legos and playing it is like playing a piano.
Guardian: Immortal zergling and team player. Equip a staff and point and shoot. Hammer for blasting fields or GS for pulling enemies into them.
Elementalist: Staff support, Good at being both support, CC and Dps at the same time. Not good at 1vX most times so don’t get serrated.
Warrior: I’m at odds with Warrior these days. Its good at everything, I mean everything. Super high dps, Survivability, Decent support, Amazing Conditions dmg, Amazing CC, Insane mobility, AoE attacks or Single dps. This class has it all but because of that I have started to really dislike the class because it is just silly easy to play.

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

10 level 80’s

1. Guardian (Norn) .. she’s my superhero, leads zergs and can take a huge beating while reviving seas of downed players.

2. Ranger (Human) .. when I’m in the mood to fill Tyria with rainbows and unicorns. Oh, and when I want to have the range of her longbow for Golem Mark II.

3. Necromancer (Human and Norn) .. Easy soloing around PvE with her entourage of minions. Continuous speed buff and death shroud is so much fun.

4. Mesmer (2 x Human) .. portals!

I’ve done world completion three times now, and on each run through I’ve always found new adventures hidden in the sea of chaos which is Tyria!

Posted by: eekzie.5640

eekzie.5640

Mostly Guardian.

This allows me to carry people when I have to.
Other classes can be too reliant on the team (or have too few ways of making sure the team survives).

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

I have all the classes in 2-3 copies (I created 3 characters of each race to see all the storylines and put in all the beautiful racial sets). I can say that the best balanced (within the class) is necromancers and warriors. Very strong classes that can do anything (do fractals solo, for example, very easy). Thief is a very strong, no matter what stats you put on him – he is very soft and requires accurate management, and good skills to controll him (many like it). After engineers and mesmers shared the place . Very interesting classes, but each has its drawbacks. Will not talk about it. Cond engineers – one of the most frightening classes in combat. In smallscale pvp destroys anything. Mesmer is interesting in itself. Plenty of options for gameplay. Interesting mechanics. Variety of builds. Most of all I disappointed by guards and elementalist. A lot of bugs that still unfixed. Unbalanced weapons. Unbalanced mechanics. Minimum variance. These two classes, in fact, will push you in a very rigid framework of gameplay and builds (well, at least if you want to be effective). For example you will soon realize that for a comfortable life and benefiting for group elementalist simply MUST spam attunements switch and use the most powerful skills of the other elements. For boons and effects. Almost all builds are based on water and arcane lines. As well as guardian’s on valor line. Although every man to his own taste.

(edited by MeGaZlo.9516)

Posted by: Elenire.7306

Elenire.7306

1. Ranger, 80: Sylvari this is my main, has all my best skins and so on. Mostly pull him out for open world PvE and 3W zerging, occasionally I’ll roam in 3W as well with him. I’ve always played a ranger in MMOs all the walk back to my EQ1 days.

2. Guardian, 80: Norn, use her mostly in dungeons. Tons of survivability fun to play, recently started playing her in 3W, she feels very useful there

3. Thief, 80: Charr, don’t really play him, probably because I feel he is so squishy. I primarily use him to harvest T6 nodes in Orr.

4. Warrior, 80: Human slowly replacing my ranger main. Warriors are pretty fantastic in all areas of the game.

5. Elementalist, 80: Asura. Haven’t played him in a long time pulled him out the other day and forgot how fun it is. Dagger/dagger is such a blast to play and a Staff Elemntalist in 3W and dungeons is great support

6. Necromancer, 41: Human: Just leveling her up.

7. Engineer, 21: Sylvari, Used the level 20 experience scroll, haven’t played her much. Engineer seems like a complex class to play.

Haven’t rolled a mesmer yet, will one day.

Elenire Manyshot – Dragonbrand Ranger
Band of Exiles [BoE]

(edited by Elenire.7306)

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

I always play Warrior, as I do in every MMO and RPG, no matter how bad they are as a class in any game, I like to make them work, especially with war hammer as a weapon.

I was never much into casters and magic in general, I always like the feeling of getting right up in the fight and beating on people.

Warriors are tough and rarely need to kite or flee vrs caster classes. Warriors are a class that they are likely to be the last man standing in a fight. I guess I like being the tough, “knight in shining armor”, leading the way type of player.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

Mostly play warrior and ranger. Warrior has high enough dps even when balanced with some survivability. Ranger is tanky melee GS ranger, which i so love because the build is so tanky i can be facetank some champs that heavies cant. :p

Posted by: dusanyu.4057

dusanyu.4057

Warrior my go to class in Guild wars 1 I play warrior in GW2 out of loyalty to a class that gave me thousands of hours of fun.

Posted by: Finnway.2183

Finnway.2183

I’m always drawn to the Templar/Paladin archetype. When I saw the Guardian I knew right away it was the class for me.

This game is not about out-DPSing you. It’s about out-flashing you.

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

A sword and board (w/ longbow) warrior is my main. It’s what I played in gw1, what I used to fight with in Markland/SCA, and what I play in tabletops. So it was a bit of a no-brainer to continue the trend here. Spent well over 1k hours lumbering as my max height norn. Very nice defensive options (even if I don’t do much damage). Nothing will beat some of the things that have happened to me in my knights armor (thanks to the way some bosses aggro). Seeing the ACp1 boss follow me in a circle and ignore everyone else is pretty funny. By far my most favorite character even if he sometimes states the obvious, “Fire….burns!”

I’ve also played/leveled (maybe ~100-150 hours each) of a necro, ele, and ranger.

Necro: scepter/focus, staff: didn’t have any problems with it, I liked having minions. And I like the staff marks.

Ele: staff: got bored with it around level 30-40. It could have been that i was just using staff or that I really dislike their elites (I love getting the fgs when I’m on my warrior, but I hate using it as a skill). It just felt that I had to wait for the lesser and elite elemental summon skills to come off of cd before I got to go into the next big fight. It isn’t bad, just feels way too squishy. I did build him for healing, so it is always nice when there’s a group nearby that I can help out, but solo it’s pretty sad.

Ranger: shortbow, axe/warhorn. when I got bored with my ele I went to my ranger (and finished my ele after I was done with my ranger). I like the quick attacks of the sb, I feel like I need the speed from the warhorn, but overall I had lots of fun. Until trying to solo the labyrinth I only had ~15 or so deaths getting to 80. The pet was a great tank. It has some stupid moments, sure, but I liked it for PvE. And the really fast atatck from the sb kept things exciting (or very annoying with confusion).

So if I had to rank the fun for the classes that I’ve played it would be:

war > ranger > ele (with a group) > necro > ele (solo)

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I have an 80 Mesmer, Engi, Ranger ,Necro.
A second Mesmer at 60, Ele at 40 and Thief at 16.
Only open world pvE

Mesmer was my first class and I love my Human Mesmer because it is so fun and the utility is amazing it is also great 1 on 1.
I love the elegant dance of a Mesmer- playing a Mesmer when you are in the zone is a thing of beauty.
GS/staff

My Human Engi is very very fun and she is bada-big-boom babe.
She is for when I want to blow off steam set fire to stuff, pull a Lara Croft with my dual pistols and bomb on dodge and just cause general mayhem with a flame thrower and walk away.
Pistol/Pistol. grenade/ flamethrower

My Sylvari Ranger is a female Legolas and I love the control of 2 bows and she is my number one explorer because she can go anywhere and poke her nose in and survive to tell about it- she is actually pretty squishy but you can’t tell.
She is my champ solo er and the person I hang in Southsun with.

My Sylvari Necro is my newest 80 and she literally blew my mind
Because of her look and her skill animations she seems so elegant but she is AOE mass murder on wheels.
then for seconds you have death shroud.
Never had any minions
Axe/Warhorn. Scepter/dagger/wells

My Sylvari Mesmer is now 60 and she is awesome- different build from my Human
GS/Staff

My Sylvari Elementalist is 40 and she is a staff Ele- I really like the support and the fields and I love the dancing between different attunements but she is not great at surviving yet and if she gets mobbed she is dead.
Will see how she is at later levels but I don’t think she will ever be great at solo stuff

my thief will be deleted the same as my warrior and guardian because I find them unutterably boring to play.

Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Morrigan.2809)

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

I have 8 Lv80’s and I play them all on a weekly rotation, makes the game interesting since I’m always learning from each profession new ways to kill and stay alive. I do have a Warrior as my main and a Guardian as my 2nd, all the others are fun to play but I’m really partial to my Asura DD Thief he kicks some serious kitten for a little guy.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I play the class simply because I enjoy playing it. I’m not even sure I can articulate it beyond that. I presently have 10 character, 1 of each class plus a 2nd mesmer and a 2nd ranger. 3 are 80, the rest are all over the board because I can’t focus on a specific one as being more enjoyable than the others.

My current ‘favorite’ (I think) is mesmer. It’s an interesting challenge to play well.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I’ve got 8 characters, 1 of each profession: 80 Engi, 80 Ranger, 80 Necro, 80 Thief, 53 Mesmer, 52 Ele, 46 Guardian, 18 Warrior

By far, I play my Engi the most. Dynamic playstyle means I’m never sitting back autattacking. My utilities aren’t situational but used all the time. I’m never waiting for cooldowns. I’ve got a ton of builds for variety. I can fit into any group, in any setting.

On a more personal level, my Engi has the most gear & looks the coolest. Plus, I’m proud to main such an underappreciated class and not simply one the thousands of zerk warriors.

I vacillate between all of my alts for the sake of variety. I’m an alt-aholic. Each week I have a new favorite alt.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

I play guardian. Most balanced class in the game, atm. Most others are either horribly underpowered (ranger, ele come to mind) disturbingly OP in all situations (warrior) or just not to my taste (engineer, necro).

Doesn’t leave a lot of wiggle room. Were they to remove pets, or make them optional, I’d drop the guardian in a heartbeat and bring my ranger back out – I find the class far more fun.

Right now, guardian fills the fun vs. useful role for me the best.

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

for my elementalist. Variety. Its the only class so far I didn’t get bored of within the first few months. despite some of its short coming.

#ELEtism

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

I play all 8 classes. 11 of them are at 80, but the remaining five who I’m still leveling bring the overall average down to 65.4375. Unfortunately, I had them all at 20 or higher before the One Year Anniversary gifts started appearing, otherwise I’d have a lot more progress.

Anyway, class by class, here’s what keeps me coming back to them:

Elementalists - Melchior Caradoc (Human Male, 80) and Madeen Cinderthorn (Charr Female, 40): Melchior is currently my main character for Roleplaying purposes, and my oldest character. Those two facts are what keep me coming back to him, because I’m more frustrated with the current Elementalist state than any other class. If you like to work twice as hard for half the result, play an Elementalist. Madeen only sees play because her RP concept is really strong, and because of my OCD need to cap the whole roster.

Engineers - Hugo Clashcannon (Charr Male, 80) and Ekko of Magpie Labs (Asura Female, 40): Like my Elementalists, my Engineers get by on personality more than gameplay right now. Their most efficient gameplay options are ones I find obnoxious (Grenades) or dull (Bombs), while the ones I enjoy the most conceptually (Flamethrower, Turrets) are a lot less effective. Still, the crazy versatility this class affords is a lot of fun, if I’m not being fussy about maximizing the potential of a single option.

Guardians - Celene the Amaranth (Sylvari Female, 80) and Griever Stormlion (Charr Male, 80): More so than any other class, I consider this one “easy mode”. My Guardians may not always dominate, but they’re never completely outmatched. I know whatever content I’m looking at, I can take them through it without too much stress.

Mesmers - Bái Lixúe (Human Female, 80) and Clarent the Redcap (Sylvari Male, 20): These two have sort of the opposite problem my Elementalists and Engineers do. I enjoy the heck out of Mesmer for damage, survivability, options and tactical versatility, but I can’t settle on good RP concepts for either (the 80 had a pretty solid concept, but I renamed her and let a friend take over the original version, since my inspiration for that version came from this friend’s character in another RPG before said friend decided to give GW2 a chance). It takes a little more work to be good with a Mesmer, but unlike my Elementalists, I feel like the extra effort pays off in stronger results.

Necromancers - Zigg of Magpie Labs (Asura Male, 80) and Kára Maronsdottir (Norn Female, 80): Necromancer is a big heap of fun… solo. Once I team up, Condition Stacking becomes a major problem, outside of power builds, which I find kind of dull on this class. This was the second class I had two 80’s of, and Guardian only beat it to the punch because I was RPing my second-string Guardian almost as much as my main Elementalist for a while there.

Rangers - Cadfael the Dogwood (Sylvari Male, 80) and Mallor Leblanc (Human Female, 20): Honestly, Cadfael is probably my least-played 80. I love the idea behind Ranger, but there’s just some missing spark. All the Utility Skills kind of bore me, and the build diversity offered by Pets gets countered by the degree of mental separation I have from the pet. I just can’t encapsulate pet damage and conditions as being my own, and always feel like I’m under-performing as a result.

Thieves - Rukhsana Gallowtree (Norn Female, 80) and Alastor Malich (Human Male, 47): I struggle with this class. On the one hand, I am a sick single-target thrashing meatgrinder. On the other hand… that’s all I am. I go through gaps in my enthusiasm for this class, due to that heavy focus, and I probably won’t play either of these a whole lot outside of RP once I’ve got them both leveled.

Warriors - Günther Ironfang (Norn Male, 80) and Eden Donovan (Human Female, 80): My third class to hit x2 80’s. Warrior is almost… too strong. While Guardian felt like Easy Mode, Warrior felt like cheating. The whole time I was leveling these two, I was expecting the Nerf Bat to pulp them. I still am.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

The reason I keep going back to my Warrior is that I simply love the way a Warrior plays.

I have a level 80 Thief and I love playing around with Stealth, but I keep getting bored of how all the useful Thief utilities are extremely situational, which results in most of them seeing very rare use.

I have played around with a Guardian, but I just don’t see that much potential in their ranged capability, which worries me as I prefer to have one weaponset that is melee and one that is ranged.

I also messed with an ele for a bit, but I dislike the requirement of switching attunements rapidly. I would prefer being able to use a specific attunement for a specific purpose (e.g. healing, single target DPS, AoE DPS, ranged?), but that just doesn’t happen.

Posted by: Mega Messiah.1734

Mega Messiah.1734

I play my Guardian because I like the Paladin archetype.

I plan to play a Warrior because I also love the savage, in-the-fray kind of gameplay as well.

Never been a big fan of casters.

“73 + 22 = 100!” – Nexus

Posted by: Fuzion.4193

Fuzion.4193

I enjoy playing a Well Necro the most in PvE, because it doesn’t aggravate the tendons I’ve developed Overuse syndrome in as badly as most of the other classes do. I can control the Necro play with one hand easily on the keyboard and have developed the character to take advantage of traits, abilities and gear so she doesn’t have to flip and dodge all over for survivability.

I enjoy using my Ranger specifically for Champ farming and WvW, finding that character easier for “On-the-run” play with one hand, and have also developed the character around that playstyle.

The rest of the classes I’ve tried to varying levels and dumped them due to not finding that playstyle that helps me get away from the pain. Aside from that, I love the playstyle of a well necro, tanking off mobs while standing in one spot in red circles while everyone around me is dodging and avoiding hits and yucky stuff. I get get a kick out of that.

Posted by: Requiem.8769

Requiem.8769

Mesmer: Incredible build diversity. Favourite: shatter; burst, active, risk/reward.
Engineer: Team utility.
~Thief: Roaming DPS.

Posted by: Sanduskel.1850

Sanduskel.1850

Thief. Can kill any other class in 1v1 or 1 v2

OP’d thief, lol

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

warrior, because i like warrior.

the rest i rotate daily for chests.

Posted by: Ellewind.9640

Ellewind.9640

Play necro 5 years in GW1 and love it! but I really don’t want play again a spell caster class. Try a ranger too but Gw2 was close to launch so my ranger never go far (Ah, that was the ranger “Touch” era)

Gw2 arrive, and thief play style was amazing so I do my main Human – Thief. Want again the Ranger but “Pet” thing make me abort the mission, instead get a Norn Engineer and was awesome! cause the class fit my second favorite play style, Supporter and healer.

Really, really want try guardian. But I’m on the fence, don’t want another human or Norn character. But I just hate Asura and Charr race, think Sylvari could fill that spot but the real problem from me is how armors looks plain awful on all that races, so my guardian must wait to Anet give us a new race. A good looking one :P

Posted by: Natsu Dragneel.1625

Natsu Dragneel.1625

Since the head start, iv played pretty much all the classes,

However,

I always come back to my guardian, hell, I have 2 of them, I just love playing my guardian more then any of the other classes right now,

She has all my best armour, best weapon skins, ascended stuff and soon to be ascended armour hehe.

Attachments:

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I play all on most of the classes most days except Mesmer. I just haven’t found a mesmer build/setup I really like. There is nothing about mesmers that really stand out for me. I still play my mesmer from time to time.

Edit: Oops forgot the why. I enjoy playing the different classes. I try to spec each slightly differently.

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’ve got one of each at 80. While I was still playing, I found myself playing my engineer the most, at least once I got my full build. There’s just something about bombs, grenades and flamethrowers that appeals to me.

Posted by: jonnis.2946

jonnis.2946

I played Ranger in the Beta weekends having played another popular MMO and came to it when I started the game. I got to the high 70s or so before I became incredibly bored with PvE. I was never grabbed by WvW as I didn’t ever feel I was contributing anything, dungeons were tank and spank and even fractals didnt do enough to change that for me, though I didn’t really give them a proper go.

So I play PvP and have since picked up Necro and Guardian through necessity when my classes have fallen out of the meta. Never really had any desire to level them though.

One of the best things by a long way about this game is the unique feel of every class. I really think you should give every single one a go, not from 0-20, but from 30+ if you want to know which one you actually enjoy.

For me I started leveling again, playing WvW (as a roamer/defender rather than zerger this time) and even doing dungeons and fractals because I started playing Engineer. Theres nothing more fun in the game for me, sure you only get one weapon, but that just means you have access to every single cooldown all the time. 5 weapon skills that are always available, 4 toolkit skills likewise, all the time. Then you pick your utilities which affect your toolkit skills, its like being able to choose each individual skill in your secondary weapon set, thats amazing!

But for me the thing that really makes the Engineer is kits, I play triple/double kits in every form of the game and enjoy my Engineer in WvW and PvP. I still find PvE a bit lackluster but its a bit more engaging for me now and Im mainly doing it to gear up for WvW!

For me there’s nothing nearly as fun in this game as the Engineer. Warrior/Ranger feel like classes from any MMO, they’re pretty standard, thief is not far off that, think Initiative instead of Energy. Guardian has virtues and a lot of support, heals, boons, go with that if you enjoyed healing/tanking in other games, there’s a bit more to it in that sense. Mesmer is a very unique class as MMOs go, I could never get my head around it, but shatters/clones are a cool mechanic. Necromancer death shroud can be fun, probably one of the less unique ones though, its like having 3 weapon sets instead of 2 really. The elementalist has a really wise range of skills, but they go on cooldown, its very hard to master as there’s a lot of micromanagement involved, I’ve never really got there. Engineer wins every single time for me now, but try out the different class mechanics, see what takes your fancy and give it a go.

Posted by: My Sweet Lily.1952

My Sweet Lily.1952

I have always played healer classes (Resto druid in WoW, Monk in gw1) and I was leaning on Guardian when it was first announced, but I have always been drawn to Ranger. The play style, the concept, everything in this class is just fun to me (bouncing, evading, dodging and rolling to avoid damage). The pet is a nice idea, but it could be way better. I’m not sure if I would have chosen Ranger as my main if I had known the amount of crap we need to take. But I don’t let that bother me and l do enjoy this class.

Nymeriali #Druid
[TLA] Desolation (EU)

Posted by: jknrich.1549

jknrich.1549

What great answers. Thank you.

The reason I ask is I want a class different from the one I’m running. I have a level 80 asuran engineer. Yes its hell a lot of fun. With tons of viable options. I want to level and play something different for a bit. So I don’t bore myself of my engineer.

This is why I ask your advice. And so far its amazing to see what great and wonderful answers there are.

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

Thief is my fall back character, although I play all professions. And I’m such an altoholic that sometimes, I play them all in the same night. No joke.

I like my Thief for two key reasons. First, combat is fast, mobile and unforgiving if I get lazy. No other character that I play moves as much in combat or is so reliant on properly executed combinations. Second, stealth. I can go anywhere on the map, grab any node or any chest, out from under the nose of any champion, without taking a scratch. It let’s me simply skip confrontations that I just can’t handle alone or simply don’t wish to waste my time on. Given how empty maps are these days, you just can’t rely on other players being around to help with tough encounters anymore. It’s nice to have the option of ignoring those fights altogether.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I play a necromancer, because it is the class that gets the best updates, and the most dev visits in its forum.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: TChalla.7146

TChalla.7146

I play necromancer because I have always had a fascination with the living dead, and the necromancer fits that nicely. It’s as simple as that. I’ve started up a thief, and I enjoy the slinkier side of that class as well.

My wife thinks it humorous that I find these two classes the most fun, since, in real life, I come across as a paladin.