Why does Anet keeps nerfing Engineer?

in Engineer

Posted by: Disunity.8423

Disunity.8423

I started playing this game since the early access, I decided to leave after numerous nerfs to the engineer class. Stopped playing for 2 years, came back recently, just to see my main class getting nerfed again.

I don’t get it, Engineers are far from being overpowered in any way. Also engineers is the least preferred class in the game.

in Engineer

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

What are you talking about? Engineer has been quite possibly the best class for years. As of this moment this patch made it the strongest class

in Engineer

Posted by: Disunity.8423

Disunity.8423

What are you talking about? Engineer has been quite possibly the best class for years. As of this moment this patch made it the strongest class

Mortar Shot: Reduced the damage by 28%.

in Engineer

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Yes and maybe it was needed since class was to strong ever thought about that bud?

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Because he’s the profession Guild Wars deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we’ll nerf him, because he can take it. Because he’s not our warrior. He’s a celestial turreteer. A arthritic grenadier. A engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: Jumanji.8724

Jumanji.8724

in Engineer

Posted by: Kodama.6453

Kodama.6453

I can understand him, engineer weapons are very weak competed to weapons of other professions. Mortar kit was the last long range weapon left for engineers and it didn’t do much damage because the best damage came from it’s AA, now it got nerfed to the same level as rifle aa. That’s really weak. No long range option for engineers anymore….

in Engineer

Posted by: Headcase.4618

Headcase.4618

Not to mention since they got rid of “Deployable Turrets” we can’t ground target turrets anymore, which really hurts turret engis.

in Engineer

Posted by: Aazo.2841

Aazo.2841

Yup…. my condi eng is now a crafting/gathering bot… my whole trait setup got totally squished to oblivion by this last patch. Mind you thats for my playstyle.. problem with this new system is it compresses folks into a much less versatile (more focused) set up. And that does not work for the way I play my toons. When I need some skills that are in 4 different trait lines, and now forced to 3… I don’t want to be without one or more of those skills for the way I play.
The problem is its forcing people to play in narrow linear ways… and I am a non linear player.

in Engineer

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

Here’s the real issue with this post. You have a player gone for 2 years complaining about nerf to skill that has existed less than 2 days on a class that uses so many skills that it is the least individual skill (not trait mind you) dependent in the game and that skill happens to be an auto attack.

Really?

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

in Engineer

Posted by: ottokarma.5208

ottokarma.5208

Im forced to admit, i agree with the OP

Most of the traits i used are in the 4 diff traits lines
since the new patch, i try to create a new build for my engi , but to no avail, i feel completely underpowered for my usual playstyle.
Globaly, the new patch is ok,but for engis…bleh

in Engineer

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

I rebuilt my condi engi and I thought I was going to have a hard time.
But you know what, I found my new build/traits made him far more powerful! If you’ve not lost hope you can message me in game and I can pass build details on if you want.

Kitten.

in Engineer

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

Get real please. Engineers have been buffed.

in Engineer

Posted by: Tryhard Pants.9745

Tryhard Pants.9745

Seriously if you’re doing badly at any game mode with your engineer right now, you’re doing it wrong.
The mortar AA was kind of unnecessary because it didn’t deal a whole lot of damage to begin with and it’s easily avoided because of travel time. But I use mortar just for fields anyway, then switch back to nades/bombs.

in Engineer

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

-28% damage on an Elite range skill that reduces its dps to lower than auto-attacking with a rifle or using an already nerfed grenade kit is not a buff. It it were a buff, then please give that -28% damage buff to every other classes’ ranged skills in the next 24 hours.

Tuesday’s patch convinced me that the expansion was a good buy. Twenty four hours later, this nerf update took that all back. I am sick of everything fun to play getting ruined by people complaining that they aren’t automatically winning against a class they don’t like.

Even with the nerf, mortar still does more than rifle.

in Engineer

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

If you want the damage back then be prepared to lose the utility provided by the mortar. The amount of different effects and fields it provides is just way too good to be coupled with a strong autoattack.

in Engineer

Posted by: Arkblue.6129

Arkblue.6129

-28% damage on an Elite range skill that reduces its dps to lower than auto-attacking with a rifle or using an already nerfed grenade kit is not a buff. It it were a buff, then please give that -28% damage buff to every other classes’ ranged skills in the next 24 hours.

Tuesday’s patch convinced me that the expansion was a good buy. Twenty four hours later, this nerf update took that all back. I am sick of everything fun to play getting ruined by people complaining that they aren’t automatically winning against a class they don’t like.

And it’s AoE.
And it has a 1/2 second cast time compared to Rifle’s 3/4 seconds.

in Engineer

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

If you want the damage back then be prepared to lose the utility provided by the mortar. The amount of different effects and fields it provides is just way too good to be coupled with a strong autoattack.

Yea wouldnt want a relyable long range attack that takes my ELITE slot… My kittening bad…

in Engineer

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Mortar was made actually useful with the most recent patch when it was useless last week, so this nerf was more bringing it in line a bit.

Engineers received a lot of buffs, so one nerf does not even things out.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in Engineer

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

I’ve logged in just for this post -.-

Listen the mortar kit as it was. giving everything it was doing was too OP – Fact!
Engi isn’t nerfed to become useless it’s still a very insane class.. Personally you just want to whine about anything and not learn how to play your class otherwise you would know how strong it is.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Engineer

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Exegeration is an art. And you are an artist.

Just last year Engineer was the second least played profession in higher levels of pvp, barely more popular than Mesmer. In pve and wvw it has always been one of the least played professions.

Engineer has most definatly been one of the worst professions for the longest time. Untill in pvp the meta changed enough that annoying bunker builds, who cannot kill but just stand on a point, were good. Outside of Player versus Gimmick engineers remained unpopular.

Not like Guardians, or Thieves, or Warriors. About all of which you can say, without a hint of irony, that they are quite possible the best professions for years now. And i’d honestly drop the “possibly”.

in Engineer

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

Just last year Engineer was the second least played profession in higher levels of pvp, barely more popular than Mesmer. In pve and wvw it has always been one of the least played professions.

Engineer has most definatly been one of the worst professions for the longest time. Untill in pvp the meta changed enough that annoying bunker builds, who cannot kill but just stand on a point, were good. Outside of Player versus Gimmick engineers remained unpopular.

Not like Guardians, or Thieves, or Warriors. About all of which you can say, without a hint of irony, that they are quite possible the best professions for years now. And i’d honestly drop the “possibly”.

How is he exaggerating? Engineers have always had a few options with which to make life a nightmare for pvpers. HGH, Static Discharge, decap, condi based on IP, turrets, cele rifle…

in Engineer

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Lol… plays the most OP class in the game… complains one skill that was literally an “I WIN” button gotten nerfed…

/facedesk

5/10

in Engineer

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

Lol… plays the most OP class in the game… complains one skill that was literally an “I WIN” button gotten nerfed…

/facedesk

5/10

How was a slow moving low damage aa an I win button?

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

in Engineer

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Engi has been toptier in PvP since day 1 and will remain toptier.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in Engineer

Posted by: Jake.1430

Jake.1430

Honestly, engineer don’t deserve more buffs.

in Engineer

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

Is it only me who 1-shot mobs by conditions(!) and killing packs at aether TA solo(!)? Spreading AOE cond-s triple better than necro with their epidemic. Have endless stability with flamethrower, full line of boons with elixirs, could apply all possible conditions, etc etc etc.?

I certainly agree that nerf of mortar was completely useless. Developers, again, came from the wrong angle. But whining that you’re “weak”! Pfff… for pity’s sake…

in Engineer

Posted by: ocirne.7915

ocirne.7915

And it’s AoE.
And it has a 1/2 second cast time compared to Rifle’s 3/4 seconds.

It has a longer aftercast, the amount of attacks per minute is the same as rifle. Its simply lower DPS, and can be sidestepped unlike rifle.

in Engineer

Posted by: LunacyPolish.4602

LunacyPolish.4602

What are you on about? Engineer is good and always has been, its only flaw is its lack of a place in the GWEN meta, and hopefully that meta is going away or at least diminishing somewhat.

While I don’t think the nerf to Mortar auto attacks was in any way necessary, I kind of understand why they did it. Mortar kit is insanely good. You have FOUR fields on it, and a projectile finisher as an auto attack, with 1500 range!?

I just started playing with it yesterday, with those fields, the new shield recharge trait, the new trait to heal on blast combos… yeah this sucker’s got some legs, I just need more practice with it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

That’s my thinking as well. It’s often hard to tell trolls from the uninformed on these forums.

It’s still a fairly viable PvP class, but Engineer is horrible in PvE. Mediocre DPS at best with complex, cumbersome skill and weapon sets. Even Necro seems to outperform ’em since the update.

in Engineer

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

People say that the engineer was buffed. I still have to understand where they see those buffs.
Sure, toolbelts have got some decreases in their cooldowns…but that’s due of the profession stat partly made baseline (and some skills weren’t even decreased enough to actually match, even with the added tools trait, mostly those with stun breaks).
Kits have seen most of their traits gutted and not made baseline. Rifle and pistols’ range was removed as well, along with pistols’ recharge trait, even if now there is a 50% conditions increase (but it partly offsets the missing 30% condition increase that line gave). Sure, grenades have their 3rd grenade baseline, but the kit was always balanced around that third grenade. And they nerfed their range, the poison grenade skill (again) and the Shrapnel trait was made grandmaster by adding a pitiful 15% chance of 2s cripple. Also, no 20% recharge trait anymore (was bundled with the bomb one).Flamethrower users can get stability via juggernaut, but just staying in that kit is detrimental in itself (because outside of flame blast the rest is terrible for offensive purposes, even if napalm’s burning can stack now – but no one will ever stay in that tiny line, anyway; and both it and flame jet still suffer from extreme retaliation damage).
Elixir gun deals less damage due to the lack of deadly mixture, but if one gets HGH that can be offset by the might stacks on some elixir skills, and its recharge trait was made baseline. It gets some additional support (mostly to allies) with the “cleansing-to-convert” trait on EG whose name i can’t remember right now.
Bombs can be traited for lesser bomb delay, and that’s it (that effect took the place of the grenade recharge one).
Tool kit was unchanged.
Turrets were gutted even before the patch came. Now they have even less range (making even the rocket one easily outrangeable), can’t regen their health, can’t be placed at a distance, but there is still the experimental turret trait around (and now useless, since the only way to use turrets is to destroy them yourself, despite whatever the profession page may say about them).
Gadgets lost both the 20% adept recharge trait and the boons given by the grandmaster gadgeteer to get…a grandmaster that to give a 25% recharge requires to be struck 5 times, per single gadget. The little effects added in aren’t enough even to make it as useful as the old adept one, let alone a grandmaster. It can get used right now only because it is bugged and sees the overcharged and normal ones as different skill.
Elixirs lost their recharge trait, but got cleansing formula 404 and the duration one as a minor alchemy trait. No one used acidic elixirs anyway, so its loss won’t be mourned. They’re kinda the same as before. Nothing added when untraited, same when traited.
Sure, they’ve put new traits.
Some of those were nerfed even before they got ingame (kinetic charge’s 40s cooldown, despite the 20s one it had in the livestream; gadgeteer’s 25% recharge was supposed to be a 50% recharge; Thermobaric Detonation’s internal cooldown, albeit this may be a bug, since the trait doesn’t list it). Others had cooldowns that weren’t even known before (medical dispersion field’s 5s cooldown, and that alone makes it useless). Some are modifications of traits that the class already had before (bunker down takes the old one, puts a med kit along and gives it a 2s cooldown versus the 1s old one; would say it is comparable to how it was before, especially seeing as EI Bombs don’t exist anymore).
Some traits got buffed, sure. Mecha legs combines power shoes and leg mod while still retaining a master trait, after all.
And indeed the class got an elite toolbelt slot. That’s nice, and it helps making up for the lack of the second weapon engineers have by default. Indeed a buff, but i think it was needed to make the baseline more equal – a stronger class mechanic in exchange for half of base weapon skills.
The engineer has got new good traits and new bad traits. It got good traits removed, and bad traits removed. Even some kits changed, and their traits with them. Some lines had mildly useless traits or overly specific ones, and more general traits have been put in instead.
The class has changed, that’s sure. But that’s all there is to it, imho.

(edited by Manuhell.2759)

in Engineer

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

mortar was a worthy replacement for the buffed supcrate (you can overcharge blast its water now)… yesterday. it’s just ‘some fields’ now.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in Engineer

Posted by: Roo.2037

Roo.2037

/facedesk

5/10

How was a slow moving low damage aa an I win button?

It was if you were a point-glued snail expecting to tank everything because “I’m a guardian!”. Said snails will still rage when Engineers switch to back nades.

Also this thread is rubbish, people barge in here to argue about different things that make Engineer annoying in pvp when in reality what OP was referring to was the Mortar, which was never close to being overpowered.

in Engineer

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

Not to mention since they got rid of “Deployable Turrets” we can’t ground target turrets anymore, which really hurts turret engis.

not to mention they got rid of rifled turret barrels and autotool installation as well
thus making turrets useless

whoever dev is fanboying with his bubble shield elite needs his pay reduced

in Engineer

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Like you were really going to stand back at 1500 range in pvp autoattacking a point, when you could actually be in the team fight CCing everything and doing tons of damage with grenades.

This nerf is literally negligible.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Engineer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

I don’t know what you’re talking about Disunity, all I’ve been seeing is buffs.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in Engineer

Posted by: PierPiero.9142

PierPiero.9142

In my opinion engineer has not been nerfed in this patch. It has been changed quite a lot but now we have a good invention traits and we can have really a lot of healing ( taking alchemy and inventions ) . Mortar is a support weapon and if you use it with the blast on dodge it can be really op in my opinion.

in Engineer

Posted by: Frightlight.3796

Frightlight.3796

heres what you do revert the damage nerf change to AA on mortar reduce the fields damage on impact by half or drop it by close to 80% this way the fields dont have close the same burst but the AA will still be strong.