Why does it constantly drop my targets?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

I’ve recently observed this issue in a number of boss encounters, namingly Tequatl and the Golem Mk II. I assume however the issue pertains to other encounters as well.

So I’ll be targeting the boss, blasting away…doing my thing and despite not clicking anything and not pressing TAB or any other related button the game will drop my target after roughly 10 – 15 seconds, forcing me to reacquire it.

This happens in the turrets during Tequatl as well where the game will just drop the target for now apparent reason.

Needless to say that this is really annoying and actually impairs game-play quite a bit.

I’m not sure if this is relating to the new targeting system or a game-setting but it would be great if this was fixed asap.

I don’t recall having this issue prior to the patch I must admit.

Edit: I too use a Logitech G700

(edited by Dee Jay.2460)

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

You’re not alone with this issue. I’ve spoken to other people about it in game and it’s not rare for targets to drop. It’s been happening for quite a while.

What causes it? I don’t know. I hope the changes anet is making to tab targeting in the next month fixes the issue but I think it will only end up making it worse.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Yeah this happens to me at every boss fight, and sometimes in dungeons as well. Even when I put a target on a mob for my party to attack, while focussing on it somehow I end up with a party member or some inanimate object selected.

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

I’ve suffered from this from day 1. I’m not sure if there’s any pattern, even.

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

Yeah I get that as well and it sometimes ends up flicking my target to random things. I wasn’t sure if it was just me.
It is particularly annoying on mes who requires a target to actually use most of the skills and my condi necro who I generally wanting to target a specific enemy to epidemic them.

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

Posted by: LITTLE.9864

LITTLE.9864

I used to get this on a Logitech G500 when holding right-click. I would target random objects. Tested in the Logitech utility and found my right-click was releasing and re-clicking quickly. Switched to a Corsair M90 and it has worked since. Expensive fix though.

Must add that it was only an issue in GW2, but the Logitech utility definitely said the right-click wasn’t holding. Maybe need to address how targeting with right-click works? Seems to be a common problem.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I used to get this on a Logitech G500 when holding right-click. I would target random objects. Tested in the Logitech utility and found my right-click was releasing and re-clicking quickly. Switched to a Corsair M90 and it has worked since. Expensive fix though.

Must add that it was only an issue in GW2, but the Logitech utility definitely said the right-click wasn’t holding. Maybe need to address how targeting with right-click works? Seems to be a common problem.

I’ve experienced this problem and I have a logitech G700…are we saying this is a logitech problem?

Anyone else have this problem who’s not using a logitech gaming mouse.

fellyn.5083

I’m using a Logitech G500, too.

What logitech utility are you referring to? Setpoint?

Although I’m fairly certain at least one friend of mine is using a razer mouse and has the same issue. So I don’t think it’s specifically a logitech issue.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’ve had other problems with my logitech mouse, I’m wondering now if I shouldn’t just get something else. Gah.

Posted by: Oxe.6142

Oxe.6142

Golem has always done this, but it’s new for Teq since it was changed. Super annoying.

Posted by: Aajolea.8132

Aajolea.8132

I think they change their hit box/targetable objects when they do different combat phases. for example on golem mk2 when he is swaps to turret phases than i need to retarget, similar for dragons when they take off or do some exaggerated animation/attack.

fellyn.5083

I’ve had other problems with my logitech mouse, I’m wondering now if I shouldn’t just get something else. Gah.

This isn’t the thread to discuss it but yeah.. I’m on my third G500. The first two both had double click issues within a year of purchase/replacement. I keep wondering how long my third one is going to last.

Sad because for the most part every single one of my Logitech purchases have been great.

I think they change their hit box/targetable objects when they do different combat phases. for example on golem mk2 when he is swaps to turret phases than i need to retarget, similar for dragons when they take off or do some exaggerated animation/attack.

For me at least, it’s not just during golem MK2 or Tequatl. It can happen at any time with no rhyme or reason.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Hmm yes I have this problem with a logitech mouse as well. I was thinking it was related to holding down the right mouse button to scroll, with inadvertent right-click selection at the time. Maybe it’s just buggy instead.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Yes i had it months ago, seems too affect Ranger really bad now…. just switches targets mid fight, i always wondered if it was broken Anti bot code..

Golem has done it forever too..

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

For me at least, it’s not just during golem MK2 or Tequatl. It can happen at any time with no rhyme or reason.

Me too, and yeah I’m using Logitech as well.

I’ve been going after a LOT of open world boxes lately with all of my alts and their target selection sucks donkey balls. I often have to physically click each target in turn or the character drops target on the almost dead mob that is still beating on her head, and instead fires at the mob that is as far away as possible.

The other problem is that I still lose my mouse cursor in the boom, bang and flash on the screen. So, go ahead and try to target anything at all.

This is not the first time this complaint has showed up here. Nothing has been done about it of course.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

it’s probably so that you don’t stand there and afk auto 1

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

happens a lot to large bosses when your target (the red circles to click on to target the boss) moves off your screen so your game assume you don’t want to fire at it anymore (wtf)

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

I don’t think the problem is mouse related. I use a Razer Naga and I’ve had targets drop many times for no apparent reason at all. ANet knows that their targeting system sucks and have admitted to some of the problems. Just because they haven’t admitted to this one doesn’t mean it isn’t their fault.

Supposedly they will be fixing some of this in the October patch … keep your fingers crossed.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

it annoyed/annoys me badly on teq and almost made a thread about the issue so +1

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

I’ve recently observed this issue in a number of boss encounters, namingly Tequatl and the Golem Mk II. I assume however the issue pertains to other encounters as well.

So I’ll be targeting the boss, blasting away…doing my thing and despite not clicking anything and not pressing TAB or any other related button the game will drop my target after roughly 10 – 15 seconds, forcing me to reacquire it.

This happens in the turrets during Tequatl as well where the game will just drop the target for now apparent reason.

Needless to say that this is really annoying and actually impairs game-play quite a bit.

I’m not sure if this is relating to the new targeting system or a game-setting but it would be great if this was fixed asap.

I don’t recall having this issue prior to the patch I must admit.

This has happened for every boss/mob that takes more than a few seconds to kill for me and has been happening since launch, BUT, there is SUPPOSED TO BE a targeting fix coming up on 10/15/13, we’ll see if it’s fixed at that point.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I have been getting target drops from regular mobs for awhile now. Back when I was meleeing or using AoE attacks it wasn’t that big of a deal, because a hammer is still bashing an enemy. But with my new mesmer… it is a pain in the butt to play. It’s like every 5 seconds or so the game decides to pretend the enemy doesn’t exist anymore.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Avatara.1042

happens a lot to large bosses when your target (the red circles to click on to target the boss) moves off your screen so your game assume you don’t want to fire at it anymore (wtf)

I believe this is correct, for most of the issues.

However, it also happens on large packs like the Aetherblades.

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Logitech stuff is a nightmare for me. I have the G500 too, as well as the G700 keyboard and as of late they just constantly crash. Apart from that, yes, pressing the right button usually loses target and camera movement is laggy too.

Switched back to an old basis keyboard and mouse, and apart from feeling prehistoric, everything is working far better.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: Exosferatu.2961

Exosferatu.2961

I hate it when I always click my teammates and target them instead of invaders.

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

Annoys me too. It always seems to switch to friendly targets which is no flamin’ use at all. We also really really need a better mouse cursor. The current one just vanishes amongst all the fireworks. I’ve said it before, and it’s sadly still true, the UI is frequently more of a challenge than the mobs.

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

It’s in game. This problem occurred @golem all the time, since launch. I lose target, and even then tabing the kitten out of it i can’t re-target it for another 5 seconds cuz it is still broken.

There is another problem with right-click targeting. Meaing you target an enemy with right click just to correct the camera (which i do constantly, like most other players i assume). I turned right click interaction completely off, it is now a bit better. Though i have now a bit problems with interacting with F.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

The targeting system in this game is terrible and actually the #1 reason I stopped playing. Clicking anywhere loses your target which is ridiculous, but there are also random target drops like the OP is explaining.

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

It’s not a Logitech problem. I have had this happen with a Razer Naga, and a standard, garden-variety USB mouse. It’s an issue with the game.

Posted by: Downfall.2671

Downfall.2671

This is an incredibly annoying problem. And the game doesn’t even offer any settings to work around it (like “don’t drop the target when i click somewhere else”). My axe warrior sometimes jumps to death in that uncategorized fractal because the game suddenly decides that the harpy in front of me isn’t a threat anymore

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Dropping the target when you click somewhere else is actually a good thing. Until the command to draw/sheathe weapons is more than cosmetic and actually puts your weapons away in combat, even facing the enemy, there needs to be some way of losing targets.

Posted by: Whitey.6185

Whitey.6185

Yeah I don’t know what it is, but the targeting seems to really annoy me sometimes. The most notable target drop is on the Golem boss though not sure if that’s supposed to be like that due to boss mechanics.

Another big issue though, like some have mentioned already is that I’m targeting an enemy attacking it and I use right click to move the camera around and when I let go I almost always end up targeting a friendly player when there’s a big group fighting a boss. This is really annoying when attacking with projectiles or target skills like signets and such because it means you just wasted a CD trying to attack an ally.

I use a Razer Naga and also though it was down to my mouse double clicking when I let go of right click, however it does seem that is not the case, and is due to something within the game. I also think target boxes are too big.

Whitey.6185

Dropping the target when you click somewhere else is actually a good thing. Until the command to draw/sheathe weapons is more than cosmetic and actually puts your weapons away in combat, even facing the enemy, there needs to be some way of losing targets.

You can press ‘escape’ to manually drop a target.

They should at least give you an option to change so you can pick if left click or right click drops a target.

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

This Has been happening since the game released , very annoying Also i might add , especially in PVP . But i have noticed the target switch’s if you hit any target with splash/aoe damage too

[WM]give us in game ladder

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I use a Razer Naga and have target drops. It is especially annoying with something like the Scarlet Invasion. I would use a utility skill with a long cooldown, like signet of spite, and suddenly I’m targeting another player and the skill was wasted. :/

In my case, I suspect it’s because I am keeping my mouse over the target area in case I want to do a ground targeted skill. I think this sometimes causes the target to switch, that a player moves under the mouse pointer and when I hit the skill it switches target to them.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

I use a Razer Death Adder and its definitely suffering the same issue.. targeting has always been tosh in this game but its gotten worse with recent patching for sure imo

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Until they made an option to toggle it off, I would constantly drop my target because I use the mouse to rotate my map all the time. Whenever I’d right click to start rotating I’d often accidently click on a friendly or an option and then it would target them. Not saying this is always what is happening, but if you don’t have the right click target option turned off this is likely the culprit in at least some of the cases.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Whitey.6185

Until they made an option to toggle it off, I would constantly drop my target because I use the mouse to rotate my map all the time. Whenever I’d right click to start rotating I’d often accidently click on a friendly or an option and then it would target them. Not saying this is always what is happening, but if you don’t have the right click target option turned off this is likely the culprit in at least some of the cases.

That’s the only annoying thing, I want to be able to target/attack with right click because often that’s how I will start a fight just by right clicking to auto attack. I just wish I could then rotate the camera with right click without always selecting other targets or allies.

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

Because despite thousands of comments in hundreds of threads, targeting has been crap from launch and has been resolutely ignored by the Devs.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I used to have a wireless Logitech mouse. It eventually met my wall and they didn’t get along.

I’m using Death Adder and it does this~ right click-moving the camera is probably doing it. Although with Teq it does it automatically when he does certain animations like raising his hands.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Mimir.4690

Mimir.4690

I use a USB mouse, and this happens a lot, especially on turret duty during the Tequatl event… It always liked to retarget on nearby creepers or fingers rather than staying where I want it to stay.

Posted by: Grumpdogg.6910

Grumpdogg.6910

This happens constantly to me too.

“I swung a sword, I swung a sword again, oh look I swung a sword again!”
- Colin Johanson while spamming key 1 in GW2

Posted by: JK Arrow.7102

JK Arrow.7102

This happens all the time to me too. I have a G600 mouse but it happened before I got it when using an old Dell 3 button mouse.

The problem is magnified at boss events because of the size of the bosses which is related to the FOV issues we have complained about since launch as well. Once the boss hit box goes off the screen you will lose target. I understand losing it during phase changes, no major issues with that mechanic.

Another targeting issue, during zerg events it is extremely difficult to pick the specific target you want. You can tab cycle but I find that to be a lackluster alternative.

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

Logitech trackman marble. This is an old issue. It’s been worse lately though. Even to the point where I click on a target, the selection ring is clearly locked, then my fire ele totally lobs a fire ball in the opposite direction at some other target, while the original target is still clearly locked. like lol?
I also have a standard microsoft wireless mouse (for work projects), no issues, but I like the trackman for gaming.

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

I always assumed it was so you couldn’t press 1 – auto attack – and go AFK.

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

I always assumed it was so you couldn’t press 1 – auto attack – and go AFK.

You are giving ANet WAY too much credit, especially since they have already officially confirmed that their targeting system needs a lot of work (i.e., sucks).

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Add me to the list of target loser (originally with a MS mouse and now with my G700).

Recently my Thief lost a target (Tamini) as it ran over to my left and I stop firing. I thought, fine I’ll just use auto target and start on a new one in the group as I’m using a shortbow. What does my Thief do when I hit fire? Starts shooting at the original Tamini. Why did I stop firing in the first place?

I wish they would just make it that you never stop firing at enemies until they die, you cancel the attack or change target. Offscreen, into water, hiding behind a tree, on your shoulders etc. etc. you never stop shooting at them until one of you is dead or you cancel the attack yourself.

Posted by: Laurelinde.4395

Laurelinde.4395

FWIW I lose target regularly and also use a Razer Naga (about 2 years old iirc) which I know has multi-clicking issues on both the right and left button. I’m loath to replace it as it still ‘works’ for the most part and it is not cheap. It is very frustrating.

Laurelinde & Cookie/Beorna Bearheart
[TWG] – Gunnar’s Hold
Always remember Wheaton’s Law

Posted by: Mattargul.9235

Mattargul.9235

Logitech trackman marble. This is an old issue. It’s been worse lately though. Even to the point where I click on a target, the selection ring is clearly locked, then my fire ele totally lobs a fire ball in the opposite direction at some other target, while the original target is still clearly locked. like lol?

I noticed that switching targets seems to “lag” behind what’s actually shown on screen, resulting in your behavior. For best effect, switch targets and immediately use a jump skill / gap closer. lulz! I’ve got into the habit of counting 1, 2, before I hit my next skill after switching targets.

Dances with Leaves – Guardian – Sanctum of Rall (SoR)

Posted by: Cruril Darksbane.2318

Cruril Darksbane.2318

You’re not alone with this issue. I’ve spoken to other people about it in game and it’s not rare for targets to drop. It’s been happening for quite a while.

What causes it? I don’t know. I hope the changes anet is making to tab targeting in the next month fixes the issue but I think it will only end up making it worse.

The cause is that he goes out of range or atleast has invincability frames (untargetable) when he rears back (on hind legs). This causes the game to retarget on the closest target to you in present field of vision.

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

I noticed that switching targets seems to “lag” behind what’s actually shown on screen, resulting in your behavior. For best effect, switch targets and immediately use a jump skill / gap closer. lulz! I’ve got into the habit of counting 1, 2, before I hit my next skill after switching targets.

yeah but it was the first and only target I had lol. Has happened many times. I’d say it’s definitely server side tracking of some sort, but not lag. Though maybe packet loss (they are using UDP?), then the server gets really confused. Unrelated to the mouse button problem, yet a part of the targeting issues. I’ve noticed that sometimes the server and client gets out of sync, as either a result of lag and/or packet loss. Then I need to re-log to fully recover. I thought I’ve seen everything, even dinking around with my own server code, but I’ve never seen random targeting like here hehe.