Why don't we have more GW1 skins?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

So – it’s been well over a year since the game launched. Over one year and a half.

When the game launched I was fairly certain we’d have a lot of the old GW1 skins that we loved. The addition of primeval, krytan and profane made me think that these skins weren’t far away but it’s been very long now and we’ve seen no new skins brought over.

The question that pops to mind and won’t go away is : why?

I doubt it would be very difficult from a technical point of view to bring them into the game.
I also doubt they would not sell easily since a lot of them looked very awesome and a lot of GW1 players feel nostalgic about them.

Given that we’ve gone so long in the game without them I almost feel that they’re not being brought over intentionally and I really can’t seem to understand why.
What would they have to lose? The way I see it it would be a gain for both the player and the devs if they brought these skins in the gem store instead of the sad jokes we have now.

I mean – just compare:

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Elite_Templar
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Warrior_Elite_Platemail_armor

with :
http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/gw2-rampart-heavy-armor-skin-sylvari-male.jpg

The difference is obvious. The first two actually look like cool heavy armor while the last one looks like somebody who’d be seen fighting the power rangers.

So – what gives?

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

I actually like the new armours, at least the female versions of Rampart and Strider (saw my gf trying them on, haven’t checked yet myself). with the right colour scheme (daffodil and evergreen, i think) Rampart might as well be called “Loki armour” which is sort of awesome

that said, we do need the GW1 sets to make a triumphant return, especially now with the wardrobe in place

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Harper.4173

It would be nice if everyone posted what armor they’d like brought back so we could make a list. I’ve already posted my two choices in the example above.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Not a fan of the heavy or light but the medium is nice. Nice enough for it to be tempting despite not playing much anymore!

There are better looking heavy armor in the game than Rampart. Actually most of the non-gemstore heavy armor are better than the gemstore ones.

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

They can only add so much in the gemstore every two weeks.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: BlazerellaNine.1026

BlazerellaNine.1026

Blazerella Nine – Human Elementalist
Mercenaries Of Anarchy[MOA] (SBI)

Posted by: Khorrax.2108

Khorrax.2108

Considering they’ve added armour and weapon sets to the gem story only, I’d rather not have the gear I liked in Guild Wars added there. If it’s attainable through some in game activity (dungeon, sPvP, WvWvW, etc.), then sure.

Stormcrow.7513

Considering they’ve added armour and weapon sets to the gem story only, I’d rather not have the gear I liked in Guild Wars added there. If it’s attainable through some in game activity (dungeon, sPvP, WvWvW, etc.), then sure.

It wont happen any time soon. That would factor in two things.

1. It doesn’t make Anet money. Anet needs to make money via the greatness that was GW1 not through a difficult high risk/ high reward dungeon…that would just be dumb. Pfft. Like people using Tormented weapons were in the Domain of Anguish or something…….

2. I don’t think we are getting any content for some time now. Better to just look at the clock and do your world meta events for the next two months.

Harper.4173

1. It doesn’t make Anet money. Anet needs to make money via the greatness that was GW1 not through a difficult high risk/ high reward dungeon…that would just be dumb. Pfft. Like people using Tormented weapons were in the Domain of Anguish or something…….

2. I don’t think we are getting any content for some time now. Better to just look at the clock and do your world meta events for the next two months.

If these were to be introduced in the gem store it would make them money. That’s the whole deal.
As far as people who want to feel they earned them through in-game activity- you can always do ANY form of in game activity to earn the gold – buy gems with said gold and boom – there you have it.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I like the Rampart armor better than either of the armor pics you posted (though the Templar one is also nice). Except for the stupid broken eyepiece anyway. Opinions and all that.

I imagine they don’t want to add too many GW1 items for fear of people accusing them of being lazy. “Can’t even create new armors, just port the old ones over, lame!” And if they make them different enough so they don’t just seem ported over, then people complain that they’re too different.

Posted by: Teniz.5249

Teniz.5249

“Why don’t we have more GW1 skins?”

WHY don’t we have ALL gw1 skins?!

Lets be honest every single one prestige armor in gw1 looks 10.000x better then any combination of armor sets in gw2. Even with the old graphic and everything the design is just beautifull!

No matter how much gems it would cost, i would buy all gw1 armor skins and especially the glove skins (chaos glove, destroyer gloves, etc.)

I wonder if the same ppl that created armor in gw1 are doing it still in gw2, I’m not really sure but if so, what happened?! I’m not raging but you all have to agree that between gw1 and gw2 armor skins are worlds of difference.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Armor_art

But anyway, yes more gw1 skin +

Also sry for my bad english…^^

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Lore wise, I guess fashions change in 250 years.

But if they introduce a chaos axe….. Just take my money now…

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

I support this thread.

GW1 had some great armor. I especially loved the Halloween sets.

Posted by: Idris.9351

Idris.9351

I would LOVE to see the FoW armors show up sometime. I don’t know how it would work considering some of the classes didn’t exist and obviously some never made it into gw2. But even if there was no class restriction, I would totally buy the FoW armor out of the shop for my mesmer.

but not if they did it the way they did tormented weapons. i want it to actually LOOK like the original…

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Mesmer_f_fow_color_chart.png

Harper.4173

I like the Rampart armor better than either of the armor pics you posted (though the Templar one is also nice). Except for the stupid broken eyepiece anyway. Opinions and all that.

I imagine they don’t want to add too many GW1 items for fear of people accusing them of being lazy. “Can’t even create new armors, just port the old ones over, lame!” And if they make them different enough so they don’t just seem ported over, then people complain that they’re too different.

If they just ported them over I honestly doubt anyone would go " just ported the old ones – lame".

Old GW1 fans would rejoice at seeing their old armor sets brought back and having the chance to wear them again. There’s a reason for that – we loved those sets in GW1 and see no reason we wouldn’t love them in GW2.

New GW2 players wouldn’t complain since they most likely wouldn’t even know what set was ported or that it even was a GW1 set.

So I doubt that this is the case.

Teniz below makes a good point – why did the dev team change the design of armor so much between the games?

Heavy armor in GW1 looked impressive, stoic and serious. Even so there were spiky sets and more over the top choices available.

GW2’s heavy armor sets in their majority look silly. Too many tidbits and spiky things on top of them.
Sure – a lot of people like that but give the players that don’t something to work with.
There isn’t ONE heavy armor helm in the game that has a closed visor and doesn’t have some form of spiky, wingy or horn-ish accessory slapped onto it.

Posted by: Zepidel.5349

Zepidel.5349

Only if they bring back revamped GW1 dungeons to get the new skins. Tired of no new content and only cash shop money grabs.

Stormcrow.7513

If these were to be introduced in the gem store it would make them money. That’s the whole deal.
As far as people who want to feel they earned them through in-game activity- you can always do ANY form of in game activity to earn the gold – buy gems with said gold and boom – there you have it.

YAY !! I can grind COF to buy BLC keys for my RNG item from an elite dungeon skin from GW1!!!! SIGN ME UP!

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Many of the developers/designers haven’t played GW1.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Pache.9406

Pache.9406

The list is long, but here we go, Armors:

Warrior: Silver Eagle, Elite Platemail, Elite Charr Hide, Elite Kurzick, Obsidian.

Ranger: Elite Druid, Elite Sunspear, Norn.

Monk: Labyrinthine, Elite Suxon…sorry…Luxon, Obsidian.

Necro: Vabbian, Primeval, Norn, Obsidian.

Mesmer: Elite Canthan, Elite Kurzick, Vabbian, Primeval.

Ele: Elite Iceforged, Primeval.

Sin: Elite Kurzick, Ancient, Asuran, Obsidian.

Rit: Ancient, Vabbian, Norn, Obsidian.

Paragon: Ancient, Norn, Obsidian.

Derv: Ancient, Norn, Obsidian.

Weapons:

Axe: Chaos Axe, Eaglecrest Axe, Fiery/Icy Blade Axe.

Swords: Elemantal Sword, Obsidian Edge, Vampiric Dragon Sword.

Daggers: Dragon Kamas, Storm Daggers.

Hammers: Tetsubo Hammer, Wingcrest Maul.

Schytes (whenever they decide to bring them back as a new weapon): Bonecage Scythe, Dhuum’s Soul Reaper, Saurian Scythe, Soulbreaker.

Bows: Silverwing Recurve Bow, Storm Bow.

Spears (they already have the skins I liked [Voltaic])

Staves: Bone Dragon Staff, Hourglass Staff.

Focus: Celestial Compass.

Shields: Draconic Aegis, Amethist Aegis, Aureate Aegis, Demonic Aegis, Exalted Aegis, Eternal Shield, Magmas Shield. And please let them be as big as they actually were, not the bs shrunken shields we have in GW2, same goes for Hammer skins (ffs the staves look bigger and more intimidating than the hammers, with the exception of 3 or 4 skins).

I’ll gladly pay for all of these, specially now that we can actually collect skins.

Posted by: Pache.9406

Pache.9406

BTW I didn’t include any of the costumes, but if they release all of them, I’ll buy them again. (Yes, I do have every single costumes they released in GW1)

Posted by: RaM.8523

RaM.8523

And Elite Kurzick!!

This!

Harper.4173

Only if they bring back revamped GW1 dungeons to get the new skins. Tired of no new content and only cash shop money grabs.

So you’d rather have no new armors as well. Or ones that look terrible instead of ones that are actually great.

Harper.4173

Bumping so others can see and contribute.

Posted by: Harak.8397

Harak.8397

A little off topic but I’d love to see Charr NPC town clothes from THIS game be buyable in the gem store… I mean, all the work is mostly done already.

Harper.4173

It would be interesting.
It would also be nice if the devs gave us some form of reply or attention. I see a lot of threads in this sub forum getting replied to – and yet we’ve asked this so many times for so long but nobody says anything.

Even if it’s a " we’re working on it – it will be in the game " – it would mean a lot.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I would love more skins. I think they need to release the PVP skins to PVE vendors, I think they need to port more skins from the older title including from the areas they haven’t opened up in this title yet, and I think they need to improve upon the already good wardrobe system by allowing us the ability to switch between armor looks.

That would be awesome if they adopted those few things. I don’t recall there being a CDI on wardrobes however I would love to have them open a CDI on that topic so we can be more direct about what we’re trying to convey to them about this system.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

Chaos axe should be a new legendary.

Posted by: FallDownkaBoom.8216

FallDownkaBoom.8216

Posted by: Neko Dudley.2495

Neko Dudley.2495

female mesmer: obsidian, elite sunspear, krytan, elite canthan, and Norn (my favorite)

male monk: monument
female monk: all of them
female necro: obsidian
male necro: krytan
dervish: any; both genders
paragon male: any, but need to sprout wings every time we use a shout

Gate of Madness [MAL] EB
Yarr! I be keeping me pirate runes, Matey. Yarr! You’re welcome. Yarr!

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

First off. I actually like the newest sets, for a change I could actually consider buying them, or at least medium, if it was not that I have become so bored of the game :/ which makes me sad, because I loved it so much and want to keep loving it.

Anyways. Though I like these new ones, I would also chime in on bring back GW1 armor, though I think some exaggerate the amaizingness of them somewhat, sure they were good, but there were crappy ones too… will never get the love everyone had/have for mesmer armor… anyways. I would like even those sets I did not like that much in GW1 to make their way to GW2… as long as it also includes a few I did love.

Skins that I like (with emphasis on I)
Warrior: Gladiator, Silver Eagle. Ranger: Elite Druid. Monk: Elite Labyrinthine. Necromancer: Elite Cabal. Mesmer: Rogue. Elementalist: Elite Sunspear, Elite Luxon. Assassin: Seitung, Elite Luxon. Ritualist: Elite Luxon, Ancient, Norn. Paragon: Vabbian, Deldrimor.Dervish: Elite Sunspear.
I can actually see why sets from Factions and Nightfall would be difficult to implement as some of them are sorta orders armor, like… what would be the reason for Sunspear armor with no Sunspears. How does Imperial armor exist outside of Cantha, especially with them turning to xenophobic, they definitely would not make it fittet for other races. Still one can dream.

As another note, some of the hero armor would be neat too…
Koss starter, Jin Primeval, Sousuke Sunspear, Melonni Primeval, Magrid Ancient and Primeval, Razah Primeval, Zenmai Primeval, Jora all 3, Pyre Deldrimor, Livia Deldrimor, Gwen all 3, Vekk Deldrimor, Anton all 3, Xandra all 3, Hayda Brotherhood. This actually adds some old asura, norn and charr looks too, which would be extra cool. Like a heroes of yore collection. Meant as a tribute to ancient heroes in regards to lore.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Harper.4173

Chaos axe should be a new legendary.

How very true! That would be a legendary axe worth wielding!

And yes Zeefa – GW1 had some bad skins as well – I just don’t see why we can’t have the good ones – the ones Anet knows we loved because of how many were used in game.

And yes – a CDI regarding future skins now that the wardrobe system is in place would be a fantastic idea. I hope the devs see this thread and pick up on it – it would be wonderful to be able to collaborate and have our requests heard after such a long time.

Keep posting and keep spreading the word. We have to stay positive !

Posted by: serapheles.5409

serapheles.5409

I would love to see Vabbian armor make a return, despite being from another continent. But more than that, I want the Celestial Compass. While there are a couple nifty focus skins (I use the HoM skin, which is a throwback), that was possibly my absolute favorite skin in GW1 (I assume they made sure to have unlimited future rights to it).

The Random Number Gods are nothing if not predictable.
Crafting is designed for gear accessibility, not profit.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

The time to cater to GW1 players has long since passed. Most have left the game already. So we likely will never see any GW1 skins in this game.

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

They added those Tormented weapons skin weapons from GW1. All it did was cause a massive whinefest thread about people saying it shouldn’t have happened. Better to give the GW1 people nothing than hear them cry.

(edited by danbuter.2314)

Harper.4173

The time to cater to GW1 players has long since passed. Most have left the game already. So we likely will never see any GW1 skins in this game.

I disagree – we have no real data on what part of the GW2 demographic also played GW1. While I believe that GW1 players are a minority now, I don’t believe the sales wouldn’t benefit from a set brought back from GW1.

Most of the sets are good looking and unique enough to be bought on their own merits, with no nostalgia added, but throw that into the mix and you’ll have a set of gear that carters to both new comers and old franchise veterans alike.

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

Any GW1 armour would be nice (well, mostly) but the only thing I really want is my Ele’s plain old Krytan Armour.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/3/39/Elementalist_Krytan_armor_m.jpg Notice the lack of dress or longcoat. I miss it a lot.

Harper.4173

Yeah – that one would be great. Indeed more short-ish costumes would be welcome in this game.

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

Chaos Axe as a new legendary – now that is something I would definitely love!

And +1 on the GW1 armor skins, we need more of these!

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

Because Charr. That’s why we rarely get new skins.

Posted by: Elaine Larion.2859

Elaine Larion.2859

Good topic! Wanted to make one too.

I would love to get all those awesome GW1 armors back. Thought there is one problem with it. I dont want them to appear all on the gemstore. The gemstore is kittening me off. Every new armorsets gets only sold trough the gemstore, although there are so many ingame currencies who get used for it. Why not selling new armor for fractal relics or karma, even laurels would be viable. But pls, dear god, not the gemstore again.
I know anet needs to male money, but i think they already do enough trough the store. Its time for some new non gemstore armorsets. Or the game will feel more and more like pay2win. Dont complain about this comment, GW was always about skins!
And it was always easy for casual player to achieve good looking armor. With the fast increase of the gem price, this is not the case anymore.

I’d rather see a new campaign oder bigger content update (DLC) for which I pay. and get full access to new maps and armorskins, than seeing new skins only added to the gemstore alone…

Edit: To the Charr problem: Well, thats kinda not an excuse for it. Anet knew what Charrs would bring with them, but thats no excuse to make no new armorsets. They could do Charr-only armor etc, of course it would be more work, but you need to address this problem in a new way, and not “ok lets dont do any new armor because Charr”.

(edited by Elaine Larion.2859)

Posted by: Vyndieco.6187

Vyndieco.6187

I’d much rather see new awesome skins than having the same skins that I’ve seen in GW1 for 6 years. And if they add more, they’re probly just gonna mess them up again (see Zodiac weapons).

Harper.4173

I’d much rather see new awesome skins than having the same skins that I’ve seen in GW1 for 6 years. And if they add more, they’re probly just gonna mess them up again (see Zodiac weapons).

Have you seen the quality of skins that have hit the Gem store lately?

There’s no heavy armor that doesn’t have spiky tidbits or looks ridiculous. I want to go back to when heavy armor also had a " serious " theme if you so wanted.

Where’s the serious heavy armor in this game ? – Human T3 Cultural – what else?

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

I think that the TAT armor sets should be brought over from GW1. Granted the following link shows this being used on the Monk class, BUT, is also used on the Norn, Ele, and Sin which IMO would/could be used and look good on the Norn, Ele and Mez. http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/Monk_Star_armor. What do you guys think?

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Dark Armour
AC armour
CM Armour
WvW Armour

And then bits and pieces of other armour sets, though shoulders seem to be the biggest culprits.

There is a lack of ‘conservative’ armour though, I agree.

There are some weapons I’d love to see a return from as well:

Gothic Axe
Deldrimor Weapon Sets
Charr Weapon Set
Undead Weapon Set
Tengu Sword
Gothic Sword

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Novalitus.7382

Novalitus.7382

I support this thread!
I didn’t play GW1 for a long time but now I have seen the pictures of some epic GW1 armors and the crappy GW2 ones I am all game for bringing back the guildwars 1 armors now!

Wouldn’t mind paying for it either.

Posted by: exelion.2369

exelion.2369

One set that I wish I could have is Elite Charr Hide. Although I would imagine it would be awkward for Charr to wear it.

Don’t mess with Ascalon!

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Skins take time to develop due to the multiple races that exist in the game.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Harper.4173

Dark Armour
AC armour
CM Armour
WvW Armour

And then bits and pieces of other armour sets, though shoulders seem to be the biggest culprits.

There is a lack of ‘conservative’ armour though, I agree.

There are some weapons I’d love to see a return from as well:

Gothic Axe
Deldrimor Weapon Sets
Charr Weapon Set
Undead Weapon Set
Tengu Sword
Gothic Sword

The weapons I fully support. Especially the Deldrimor ones!
The issue I have with the CM armor are the flashy wing things. And the Dark Armor’s horns really ruin it for me.

AC armor works but sadly the helm is open at the bottom.
An armor set that looked like the art for the Endure Pain skill would be nice though. I would so love that.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Endure_Pain

Posted by: Vyndieco.6187

Vyndieco.6187

Have you seen the quality of skins that have hit the Gem store lately?

There’s no heavy armor that doesn’t have spiky tidbits or looks ridiculous. I want to go back to when heavy armor also had a " serious " theme if you so wanted.

Yeah i agree, but what i said is what I would love them to come up with something NEW and that look just as good as the skins from gw1. Seeing the same weapons that i’ve played with for over 5-6 years is a bit disapointing to me..but I guess it’s better than the kitten that they put up recently

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

I work as a fashion photographer so looks are important to me. In general I like many of the GW1 fashions much more than GW2 ( at least for female outfits).
It seems like GW2 makes more unisex outfits where GW1 seem to have a similar outfit but generally modeled for the sex of the character. There are exceptions of course.

One outfit that I really miss form GW1 is the “Raiment of the Lich”

Head piece: “Cat ears”

Off topic wish: Sleek Catsuit to go with the above ears