Why haven't you built a Legendary Weapon?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I’m still working on The Predator. I’ve been gathering materials and such, but I need to complete the Mai Trin fractal in order to progress. I’ve been trying to get my guild mates to go with me because I don’t want to PUG, but for a variety of reasons, it just never seemed to happen.

In the mean time, the resource gathering shall continue.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: McKelly.6317

McKelly.6317

I enjoy unlocking items and skins through challenges, like the luminescent armour in Living World 2. That’s why I was initially interested in the HoT legendaries. I knew they would require a fair amount of materials, but once I saw the list, it’s not worth the investment. I’d rather sell the extra materials and use the money to buy a few things from the TP, rather than sinking almost every material I have (and more) to create one legendary. (edit: English)

Isle of Janthir
Cirilaa – Druid, Galaxy Idol Tetora – Mesmer, Aintno Hoelbrakgirl – Guardian

(edited by McKelly.6317)

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

I don’t like any of the skins (except The Dreamer)
I would rather spend my money on multiple sets of ascended gear for different builds
I have never even seen a precursor
Inability to freely swap sigils means little to no functional advantage over ascended

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Because the idea of grinding out 2,000 t6 mats makes me find other games to play.

I have most of the other stuff including 2 precursors.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Why? Because I’d rather keep my money and sanity. That’s why.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: moonstarmac.4603

moonstarmac.4603

Simple answer…never really cared too much for them. Some look good, others not so much, but I never had a real ‘need’ to obtain one.

Jade Council~ Jade Sea Haven [JADE]
System – Luna One: R-Matrix
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Ny4qqs

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The only ones I like, are only a little bit cooler than the skins I’ve obtained over time. And if I did make one, I’d feel like I “have” to use that skin, else it’d be wasted.

I could purchase a couple outright with the gold I’ve made since the game started, but really not worth it to me. I’ve had a few precursors as well, though sold them instead of using em.

Right now, I “might” get the Spark, just cuz the precursor skin is kind of cool looking lol.

Too bad about the glow on Sparks blade though.

or are you referring to the old skin?

Khisanth.2948

I have several but if I didn’t the reasons seem like it would be pretty obvious.

1) I don’t like any of them
2) The ones I like are for classes I don’t play (doesn’t apply since I have at least one of every class).
3) The sound is horrible (Dreamer, Incinerator if you use it with an elementalist and possibly a necromancer but not reaper). This one can also be in the list of things people regret about after making a legendary. It is especially bad if it resulted from a change after it was already made.

Despite what people have said they do not actually require much farming. Just ignore it and check your material storage from time to time to see if you can complete anything.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Lol and people got all kitten about the devs canceling the next set of legendaries…

Different groups of people. Some people are quite upset about this, presumably because they would be willing to go through the process to acquire one they really wanted, and also they more than likely weren’t a fan of the current Legendary for their weapon. Other people were not that bothered because they are either satisfied with their current weapon or more than likely thought the existing Legendary paths were more hassle/cost than the result was worth, and wouldn’t pursue it.

I gather that there were relatively few people bothering with the existing Legendary quests, otherwise ANet probably wouldn’t have cancelled the upcoming ones.

I enjoy unlocking items and skins through challenges, like the luminescent armour in Living World 2. That’s why I was initially interested in the HoT legendaries. I knew they would require a fair amount of materials, but once I saw the list, it’s not worth the investment.

Yeah, exactly. I have a full set of Lumi, I have my Daredevil’s staff and might eventually pick up a few more of the Elite weapons, but the Legendary Crafting just had way too much “Legendary Shopping,” and that’s not what I want in the game. To my mind, good design is to have either A. A lot of work involved, but relatively negligible costs, or B. A lot of cost involved, but relatively negligible hassle, but asking for both at once is a bit of a dealbreaker.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Taltevus.3289

Taltevus.3289

1. Instantly knew when I purchased GW2 in 2013 that this was the main way that Anet uses a process of frustration to leech money off of it’s customers instead of making a fair and engaging way to make a legendary weapon AND draw players deeper into the game.

2. Everything else in Gw2 is short lived except crafting…obvious pointless grind.

3. There is absolutely nothing legendary about legendary weapons in their effects, crafting or acquisition.
3a. The Legendary system is bigger than the game. The vastness of the crafting system is too large for the extremely small size of Gw2. Obvious grind/give us money for the convenience. (least creative route possible)

Note: This ties into the grind…the game is not big enough to legitimately support the system as a whole for obtaining a legendary weapon.

4. Unless there was content specifically made for legendary equipment I will not bother with it. Even if there was specially made content the kind of rude, demeaning, destructive players that Anet lets go unchecked would just use that content as a hub for kittening sycophants and their ilk.

5. All of them…yes this is my legitimate opinion not me just attempting to be rude to the art team for no good reason…all of them are ugly. The worst possible concepts to try and style with a character.

Note: Legendary weapons should have 4 dye channels. And special (additional) colors and/or effects should be tied to completing certain events and tasks…(not useless grind) <——Need bigger more in depth game which is not Gw2 as current.

The weapons should alter the colors and effects of ALL skills. Now, you are starting to at least fake a legendary weapon. Of course you can’t gain skills from them (even though you should) because….

Gw2 is like the MortalKombat to Soul Calibur of all action combat mmo’s (Closed combat system) Zzzzzz….

Also, The Matrices for producing legendary weapons should have gone: Race : Profession : Weapon

Biofrost is for what or whom?
NightFury has not a dang thing to do with a Sylvari Chronomancer.
Or a Norn Necromancer?What on earth is Twilight? Dawn? Dusk?
Liker really….waste all that time crafting an ugly weapon that’s only good for style?

Please note I am deliberately leaving out stats of legendary anything as none of it is legendary.

Posted by: Lady Deedra.3126

Lady Deedra.3126

Well I already have every legendary in game. Actually 2-3 of all of them since my wife has all of them as well on her account. I wont be making any more beyond the new SB when its released because Anet said they arent giving us anymore at this time. But when they do release more I will make those also. Aside from running around doing aimless things it gives me something to do while in game. HOPE was a blast to make. Astralaria is just beautiful. Nevermore was a bit tedious but looks nice all the same and is a nice alternative to Bifrost. Although lately I have been skinning all of them over to random skins for the kitten of it.

Skjold Pjod
I am “That” guy you have all heard about.
1,073 precursors forged and counting.

Posted by: Siobhan.5273

Siobhan.5273

Main question is in the title.

I’m just curious why I don’t see more of them since the game has been out for 3 years.
Are precursors truly that rare (that theyre not enough on the tp)?

Myself, my husband and my son have been playing 3 years. Never had a precursor drop. BoooHisss!!

However, my husband is currently making me Kudzu for my Ranger. It’ll take awhile, and that’s okies. I’m in no rush.

I’m at 83% or so map completion (have all the Hot stuff completed and got those ‘Gifts’) myself so I can craft one for him in return, but he doesn’t like any of them and was looking forward to seeing what some of the new one would be (besides the 3 we have and the …. short.. bow thing we’re getting) but that seems to be on.. hiatus.

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

Might be a surprise, but some people already have a job irl and they just play games for fun and to relax, not to get a second job ingame.

Posted by: Haralin.1473

Haralin.1473

Because i played mainly WvW

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Lol and people got all kitten about the devs canceling the next set of legendaries…

Look it at this perspective:
So what is stopping them to cancel something in next or this expansion someday which they promised or advertised?

And they did disappoint a LOT of ppl recently with HoT.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

The simplest answer is that I always seem to find something else to spend the gold on.

The longer answer is that I’ve never been one to chase items in games purely for prestige. In GW1 you’ll find all of my toons wearing the cheapest max armour (from the docks iirc). My main has an ascended weapon and two bits of ascended armour that all dropped from somewhere. One day I might get round to making the rest of the armour but probably not.

One thing that puts me off those legendaries is the really annoying sounds that some of them make. That would drive me nuts, or at least make me turn off the sound.

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

Initially it was a load of grind for weapons which didn’t suit my tastes or my characters’ styling, plus the fact the precursor was RNG. Now precursors are something you can make, I almost thought about it - except it would send me into content I don’t enjoy. If I’m going to grind something out, I at least want to enjoy what I’m doing! But mostly it’s still the fact the legendaries’ looks don’t fit in with my characters. The skins I do use, however, look much better.

Plus the footprints occasionally gave me the impression of a cowpat plopping out behind people as they run away. It doesn’t seem too flattering... XD

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

(edited by Ceridwen.6703)

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Too ugly and overscale to even consider, ever. The effects are ludicrous.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

I crafted a dusk from the mystic forge once….
Now I have a personal trading post, personal merchant, mystic forge conduit and a bottomless belcher’s bluff kit. Maybe next time I find a dusk…. except then I might have a personal bank contract.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

2 Reasons——RNG says no you are never getting a precusor.
—-- My main is a Ranger and I don’t want or would I want a My Little Pony Bow!

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

bad mistake, it’s not a reference to MLP, it’s a reference to Robot Unicorn Attack.

Posted by: NSevenDanny.4107

NSevenDanny.4107

Crafted the Predator and Sunrise. Kept the former and threw a RP friendly skin on it, sold the latter for a perma-self style hair kit. No regrets on the second part, the hair kit’s seen more use than Sunrise ever would have.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

bad mistake, it’s not a reference to MLP, it’s a reference to Robot Unicorn Attack.

Regardless, it’s in the eye of the beholder and it looks like something from the little kids cartoon. From the 1st time I saw it I said to my self, what were they thinking? Made by someone who watched MLP all the time.

Posted by: whitz.7246

whitz.7246

RNG hates me, thousands of hours in game and no precursor, the grind for mats and forcing me to play parts of the game that I never will. Won’t craft a Legendary, just like I will never finish 2 of the collections in game because the game forces me into fractals, I know my limitations

(edited by whitz.7246)

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

because i spent my fortune buying all of the old unobtainable skins which are now miraculously dirt cheap on the auction house >_<

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

Note: Legendary weapons should have 4 dye channels.

That would be pretty cool, if Legendary Weapons could be Dyed.

Personally, I think it’s a waste that we can’t dye or weapons, back items, or breathers.

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

Posted by: Rinn.2375

Rinn.2375

I have a Dawn now and I am on my way to forge my first legendary from it. I’m playing this game since closed beta, so it’s about time But I have to play WvW for this…
I hate every single form of pvp and it’s a very thick wall between me and my first legendary. I think I have to be lvl 14 or something in WvW for a component I have to have to craft another component.
I would like another way to craft that without pvp.

Ad astra per asperas

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Previously, I didn’t bother with a legendary weapon because I didn’t like that the only reliable why to acquire the precursor was by grinding out gold and buying it from the trading post. I have this thing about making other people rich…I don’t like to do it.

After pre-crafting was introduced, I did start working on Bifrost. I’m just….slow. I don’t have a whole lot of funds or materials to begin with (due to limited play time), which means I try to focus on one goal at a time. Right now, my goal is getting my guild hall built, so legendaries (while nice) are on hold for a bit (again). Which I suppose isn’t a bad thing, have they had their stat options updated to include the new 4-stat combos?

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Tasida.4085

Tasida.4085

Who wants something common? Find a great weapon and re skin it in something not many have Seriously legends are so common now they’re no big deal and definatly not worth the time and grind and overall cost to achieve. GAME ON

Noble Dragons (NOBL) rocking GW’s since 2005 now rocking the Sorrow’s Furnace Server!

Posted by: Lite Ning Strike.5203

Lite Ning Strike.5203

I agree with almost everyone, it is not worth the grind or expense. I prefer playing the game instead of playing the trading post or grinding for specific mats.

This is from someone who started with GW1 played Beta for GW2 and HoT and has 23 level 80 toons and 16 with full map completion.

I play dungeons (have the DM Title from playing not buying paths) Do Fractals a little (personal level 24).

My account has over 4200 hours played last time I looked.

The First and Only Blaq Sheep

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I spent most of my money on other things, mostly account unlocks, ascended gear and bltc skins.

I would like a legendary weapon, but I’m currently focusing on getting the stuff ready for PvP wings.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

There was talk of a ‘Legendary Quests’ shortly after launch (2013), where earning a legendary would require you to complete challenges and quests. The legendary quests never came.

Legendaries are gold sinks that only reflect the amount of time you’re willing to grind grind grind for gold. They do not give me a sense of accomplishment, because I don’t need to overcome any challenges other than boredom.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Why have I not you built a Legendary Weapon?

• I do not particularly like the way any of them look.
  • The fact that the legendary aura and footfall effects are attached to these skins which I do not like, instead of to the weapon item itself, means I cannot reskin the weapon to a skin I do like and keep the non-weapon related legendary effects. As an example, I much prefer the look of the Frostfang precursor over the actual Frostfang skin, but I cannot change the legendary weapon item to use the precursor skin without losing the non-weapon related legendary effects. Very poorly planned and designed in my opinion.
  • Stat-swap at will is not useful for my style of gameplay.
| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Lol yeah, they ARE rare. I play since June 25th 2012 and I never got any precursor. I had to buy mine for 1000 gold. Never again.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Because I can make several sets of ascended weapons for a lower cost and more realistic materials grind. I dislike everything legendaries stand for, frankly.

I’d rather keep the skins overdone and ridiculous as they are on the basis that I’m completely content with keeping what I find as the good skins more affordable.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

I haven’t made a legendary because the process would make the game feel like work to me. My RL working allows me to afford games, it’s not for creating me more work.

~EW

Posted by: Lite Ning Strike.5203

Lite Ning Strike.5203

I haven’t made a legendary because the process would make the game feel like work to me. My RL working allows me to afford games, it’s not for creating me more work.

~EW

LOL I love this you my friend deserve a standing ovation!!!!

The First and Only Blaq Sheep

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

The only legendary I have ever liked is HOPE. But I don’t use pistols.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

I made Dreamer very recently. My first legendary, playing since beta. Just decided one day I should have a goal and then got the precursor so rather than sell it figured I’d make it.

Not half the grind people imagine it is in their heads.
Expensive enough tho, maybe 1,000 gold for the mats I didn’t have.
I got the precursor as a drop from the MF for about 90 gold of throwing stuff in.
I also got a bunch of other stuff drop that I resold so I got some of that 90 back.

I made the mistake of wandering up to the wvw vendor and spotting a bunch of skins I could buy with wvw tokens before I started making Dreamer because I was level 6 and figured tokens probably drop like candy. Yeah not so much.. took me until level 16 or so before I had enough tokens again. Pretty terrible time getting them given that my server had everything capped and nobody from the other servers seemed interested in retaking them so I could flip them back.

Other drag was getting TA tokens but PUGged and Guilded a few runs and I already had some from earlier so less annoying than wvw, this may get easier with dungeon un-nerfs.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

Main question is in the title.

I’m just curious why I don’t see more of them since the game has been out for 3 years.
Are precursors truly that rare (that theyre not enough on the tp)?

cause they are generic at this point. so many players have them. wuts legendary about a weapon when half the people running in the group also have them? also i’d rather have a weapon that fits my char’s theme than try to adjust my char’s looks to match a weapon.

Khisanth.2948

I’m still working on The Predator. I’ve been gathering materials and such, but I need to complete the Mai Trin fractal in order to progress. I’ve been trying to get my guild mates to go with me because I don’t want to PUG, but for a variety of reasons, it just never seemed to happen.

In the mean time, the resource gathering shall continue.

It is much cheaper to buy The Hunter than to craft it. Buying is around 50% to 60% of crafting it.

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

Because they look ridiculous and are difficult to fit to any look I’m trying to have.

Khisanth.2948

The second factor for me was that I like specific content. I enjoy wvw and pve but being forced to pvp was not something I wanted to do. I gave it a go and was unimpressed. Matching seems unbalanced and poorly done and people seem to want to only play 3 of the same maps over and over and over again.

PvP is completely unnecessary because Shards of Glory are dirt cheap. 250 to buy the Gift of Glory is only 50s.

Yeah, exactly. I have a full set of Lumi, I have my Daredevil’s staff and might eventually pick up a few more of the Elite weapons, but the Legendary Crafting just had way too much “Legendary Shopping,” and that’s not what I want in the game. To my mind, good design is to have either A. A lot of work involved, but relatively negligible costs, or B. A lot of cost involved, but relatively negligible hassle, but asking for both at once is a bit of a dealbreaker.

Legendary tree chopping …

Posted by: Kalendraf.9521

Kalendraf.9521

These are the main reasons you don’t see more:
1 ) Cost for most of them is prohibitively high.
2 ) Appearance of most of them isn’t that appealing, especially when factoring in #1
3 ) Pre-cursors are extremely rare.
4 ) The alternate crafting/collection method to get pre-cursors is expensive, grindy, and in some cases, the collection items are (or were) blocked by game bugs.

I did make Bifrost, but I sort of regret doing so. I got extremely lucky by obtaining The Legend pre-cursor from a mystic forge attempt. Once I got it, I soon discovered that I needed to sacrifice an absurd number of ectos (salvaged into crystalline dust for gift of magic, gift of energy and gift of color, as well as raw ectos for making clovers) to make all the intermediate parts before I finally finished the legendary. I like the look, but there’s no way it was worth the amount gold & mats that I used up to make it. I would strongly caution against anyone making one – the skin is sort of cool, but there’s no way it’s 3K to 4K gold cool. If you want to outfit characters (mains and alts), that gold would be better spent on making several ascended weapons instead. You can transmute ascended weapons with a lot of nice-looking staff skins in the game (some of which even have lighting or particle effects) that cost a tiny fraction of the price of Bifrost. Let the GW2 population’s 1-percenters can waste gold on stuff like this if they really want it.

HoD – [CV] Charter Vanguard

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

They’re far too too expensive and time consuming to craft. I could get full sets of BLTC skins for two or three characters (including alternate weapons) for about half the cost of most legendary weapons.

Also don’t like how many of them look. Too ridiculous or garish or whatnot. Even the ones that I do like, well….I’d rather not tie myself to a particular skin. I completely re-do my favourite characters every couple months. My wardrobe is full of moderately expensive skins that I’ll likely never use again.

Posted by: skigorn.7910

skigorn.7910

1. I don’t like grinding.
2. I have never looted a precursor even though I played since pre-release.
3. I like other skins more than most of the Legendaries.
4. Old legendary can be bought, no prestige to own one or two.

This about sums it up for me, except #2. I’ve gotten a few precursors and I’ve only played for a year. The first thought I have when I get a precursor is: “do I sell it and make a bunch of gold, or do I keep it an lose a bunch of gold grinding mats?” I typically sell it within 30 seconds of looting it.

To me it’s a waste of time and gold. I’m not going to spend years grinding for 1 weapon. There’s no fun in that. I prefer the Lotro approach, get your weapon and build it over time. Not every weapon is identical, some are more powerful than others because of the time put into building it.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

They look ridiculous.

Posted by: Dav.9152

Dav.9152

I have very limited playtime and I like to spend what time in-game that I do have actually playing the game, instead of grinding/farming mats & gold. I typically do zone completion on alts because that is what I enjoy and it takes zero commitment to pick up and put down as needed.

Legendaries are nice long-term goals but I’ve found ascended to be a more achievable and practical goal. I’ve crafted Zojja’s Razor and am close to making a chest piece just from the mats I’ve picked up playing casually.

Whenever I manage to save up a chunk of gold (~100g) I usually blow it on bumping a crafting profession from 400-500. I’ve just got artificing and huntsman left to go. Maybe after that I’ll be able to save up for a precursor since I know one will never drop for me.

Live, learn, level up.

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

I’m at 92% map completion and deciding which one to get — I’m thinking of Predator. In the meantime, I’m trying to finish up Treasure Hunter, so after that, I can get the money I need to finish a legendary.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Waste of resource. Making legendary could have gotten ascended for the many characters I have which I used to play pve and wvw.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com