Why is everyone so obsessed with legendary?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: gamersuman.6943

gamersuman.6943

Q:

Hello all!

I am just wondering why people are so obsessed with legendary weapons. I am not 100% sure but I think legendary weapons don’t offer any + stats and have same weapon attack as ascended weapons. So, my question is, what’s the point of farming legendary?

P.S. I personally feel that most of the legendary skins look awful.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Bragging rights.

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

Because they look awesome.

Even if they changed it’s process into a scavenger hunt, the desire would still mostly be for their awesome skin.

Posted by: gamersuman.6943

gamersuman.6943

Even if they changed it’s process into a scavenger hunt, the desire would still mostly be for their awesome skin.

Dunno what’s wrong with me but I just don’t find those legendary skins appealing at all.

Posted by: SlackerATC.5934

SlackerATC.5934

Can’t speak for everyone but for some it might be the ability to switch the stat of the weapon whenever out of combat. It’s almost like buying 1 of every stat combo for a weapon without them all taking up your inventory space.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

They are ugly as heck (IMO) and can be bought with real world money. So (IMO) they don’t really work as trophies or as status symbols.

Decide for yourself whether or not you want to carry around a weapon that others (some/many ?) think looks atrocious and makes some (many ?) think that you spend a lot in the gem store.

Your call.

But stat swapping !

Posted by: Arzo.8671

Arzo.8671

For some, like myself, it’s also about having a long term goal. I have an 80 of every class now, all fully geared in exotic. One in full ascended. I’ve wvw’d, pvp’d, dungeon’d, fractal’d. But I haven’t done the grind for Legendary yet. So, that’s the current plan until I either get bored and move on to something else, or finish that up and then struggle to find another goal.

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

I don’t see what’s “cool” about legendaries. Any event has dozens of players running around with the same weapons. Boring. How does being a copy-cat impress anyone?

And most of them are ugly, too, in my opinion. I don’t think my practical, serious Norn girl has much interest in shooting bad guys with flowers and unicorns…

To each their own.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I never encountered any other player wielding Frenzy, no. Not that it would bother me, I don’t pick weapon and armor skins for their “exclusivity”.

I did it for something to do.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

i’m not obsessed with legendary weapons at all.

i find the legendary weapons to be very ugly, and i will not be bothered to get one for myself.

even if i do get one, i will replace the skin with others.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

I am not obsessed with them.

Some are nice, some not so much, but the amount of effort/luck needed for even one makes it not worthwhile for me.

There are plenty of other weapon skins that I like that I can fit with my armor better, and don’t require anywhere near the trouble for a legendary.

And, bragging rights/titles mean little, if anything to me.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Generally, it’s for the following reasons:

1. For aesthetics. Some people really, really like the theme of the Legendary in question. I know someone who really loves his Twilight, for example. He just loves the whole black, razor-thin space blade effect. Another friend of mine got the Dreamer solely because he wanted to shoot rainbow unicorns at people. XD

Personally, the only two Legendaries whose skins I like are Kudzu and Kraitkin, but sadly, neither of those themes suit the aesthetics I’ve chosen for my characters, so I’m not going to get them.

2. As a long-term goal. For some people, it’s less about the final product than about the journey. Making a Legendary is something for them to work towards, something to represent the time and energy they have invested in the game.

3. As an indicator of wealth. You can’t deny that acquiring a Legendary requires an enormous investment of time and gold (or money). For some players, a Legendary is simply a convenient package to show to other players that “I am rich!”. It’s the same reason you saw so many players back in GW1 wearing Obsidian armor with Chaos Gloves; it wasn’t because the look was special or that it looked awesome. It was just a way for these players to say “Hah! I have made it to the ranks of the wealthy!”

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

Dunno what’s wrong with me but I just don’t find those legendary skins appealing at all.

i dont either but the statement that they made they would be top gear always and with the wardrobe i change it to a skin i prefer makes me prefer it over an ascended weapon

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

I don’t like legendary weapons at all. Period.

Please don’t make sweeping statements like “everyone loves” and/or “everyone hates”.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

sometimes, I compare people who want legendaries to this guy

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/59438/gan-kon_ch2_by_japanzai/14

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

I like some of the legendary skins. In fact, I recently made the Dreamer even though it’s useless in my Ranger and I hardly play a Thief.

My other legendaries I made for convienence really. I hate Bolt, but I made it because stat swapping for my Mesmer is a real blessing to inventory space. Ironically Bolt was the first legendary I made. I also made Sunrise and Bifrost for this reason, but the skins are OK in my opinion.

The legendaries I really do like are Kraitkin, Kamhoali, Dreamer and Meteorologicus.

I can’t get myself to actually make an underwater legendary so I guess my next one will be Meteorologicus.

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Because Guild Wars is a franchise of dressup simulators, going back to the original GW1 and the legendary Obsidian Edge.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Hello all!

I am just wondering why people are so obsessed with legendary weapons. I am not 100% sure but I think legendary weapons don’t offer any + stats and have same weapon attack as ascended weapons. So, my question is, what’s the point of farming legendary?

P.S. I personally feel that most of the legendary skins look awful.

Some people like them for bragging rights/status symbol (“look I have a 3k gold item”). Personally I feel the same as you, and I’m enjoying the fact that I’m sitting on 1k gold with nothing to spend it on right now. Maybe eventually I’ll have thousands and feel like throwing it away on a style I’m not overly fond of.

To me it seems the standard look has killed the specialness of these items. I see far more t3 cultural + Fractal Backpiece + Eternity/Twilight/Sunrise than anything else, especially that on a human female.

The people that impress me are the ones that go away from that and create an entire look for their character.

Posted by: sirflamesword.3896

sirflamesword.3896

What else is there to do? Honestly, if you can tell me something I haven’t already done in game multiple times then I’d be surprised.

Pinnacle of Responsibility[Mom]-Yaks Bend
Unstable Shield, Unstable Light

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

can be bought with real world money.

But stat swapping !

But using real world money to buy stuff is against the rules, and can result in temporary or permanent ban.

But yes, Legendary are prestige items.
Including the fact that you can swap the stat sets infinetely, instead of once with some gear, allowing you to adjust them accordingly.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

Pride. Generally.

Also, once you have full ascended armor and weapons there’s nothing else for you to get but skins and bags. Rare weapon skins like Wings of Dwayna and Infinite Light are the only real alternative to Legendaries.

P.S Looks are relative, but I personally find many of them terrible as well. Quip being one of the worst offenders since it isn’t just visuals, but has annoying sounds on top.

Only legendary I really like aesthetically is Kudzu, but then there’s no real build for any class that uses a Longbow which doesn’t do better with another weapon set, so it seems a bit off spending gold on it when I pretty much will never use it. The Predator is the ‘most likely’ candidate for where my t6s are going since it isn’t ugly and stat swapping on a weapon will be useful for my engineer, but I don’t really find it ‘pretty’ either.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

can be bought with real world money.

But stat swapping !

But using real world money to buy stuff is against the rules, and can result in temporary or permanent ban.

In case you’re serious:

Buy gems with money. Trade gems for gold. Buy Legendary with gold.

This is not against the rules.

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

I made a legendary for the guarantueed best stats.

EverythingOP

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

I made a legendary because the precursor has chosen my character, i had 6 characters all in different classes when i got a precursor through open world roaming. But that precursor decided to drop on the character who should equip that particular legendary.

I have never intended to craft one and through out 2 years of game play i believe i am not able to afford a precursor cost with my limited play time and no grind having fun play style.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

There’s a whole variety of reasons, and it will be slightly different for each person. Some common ones include (in no particular order):

The challenge (or time/money commitment) of making them means it gives people a goal to work towards and a sense of achievement when they get it.

Some people like the skins. Some people like the ability to change the stats. Some like both.

Some people just want to make sure once they hit max level they get the best and rarest gear in the game, even if they know it’s not got higher stats.

Personally I’m working on The Dreamer because the idea of a bow that shoots rainbow unicorns is so absurd I had to have it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Rayti.6531

Rayti.6531

I am considered very unlucky in this game. I have yet to get a precursor as a drop after nearly 4k hours of playing this game and actively trying to get a Spark out of the Mystic Toilet, and yet…

I needed to get an Incinerator for several reasons:
1.) It’s the only dagger you can see on an Asura without zooming in on max
2.) It’s the only dagger that fits my elementalist and its overall gear/looks
3.) Those huge flames around the arms look awesome on an Asura (at least in my opinion)
4.) Now with the wardrobe out, I didn’t need to craft 2 – and the thing about the Incinerator is: it only looks good when dual wielded… So the wardrobe change was what actually made me finish the legendary I started crafting/collecting for 1 year ago (with lots of help from my guild mates who helped me getting that precursor when I gave up gambling)

I couldn’t care less about bragging rights, prestige, stat changes etc. It’s really just about the looks. That’s what made it worth the effort for me.

If you don’t like the skins just don’t craft/buy a legendary. I don’t think you are missing out on anything. The stats swap isn’t worth it, since most builds also require different sigils – and you can’t swap those… And as long as there will be no higher weapon tier than ascended, it’s easier to get max stats just crafting an ascended weapon (even if you decided to craft all stat combinations).

(edited by Rayti.6531)

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I’m not obsessed with them, but if someone happened to send me The Dreamer, Quip, Juggernaut, Howler, Meteorlogicus, or any of the other ones I like, I’d love to have the skins.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Xiem.4719

Xiem.4719

In my opinion, only underwater legendaries looks good. This should be staff http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kraitkin :C

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

I made Bolt be cause I liked the lightning effect. It’s about the only one that I actually like. All the others have annoying particle effects

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

I’m quite the fashion collector, but I never saw the appeal of the legendaries either. While all of their models are definitely well made, I only like the looks of about one third of them. Furthermore, I wouldn’t want my characters’ carefully crafted looks be overshadowed by a bunch of super flashy special effects!

For me they’re absolutely not worth the massive effort it takes to acquire them, let alone the sheer amount of gold and materials needed. By not pursuing a legendary, my gold is free to spend on tons of other pretty stuff. I’ve never been into the whole status symbol gear either, an ugly mace is still an ugly mace even if it dropped from the most difficult boss ever. :P

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

i wanted the predator for the stat swapping and because the skin is bad kitten
i made frenzy cuz i got 2 map completion tokens and rage is cheap
i wouldnt buy one off the tp, nor will i prolly ever do map completion again

what im really obsessed with is SAB skins and im really disappointed that im being held back from completing my collection >.>

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Bam!
Instant prestige and rareness surpassing legendaries! (for a few more months at least)

Sunrise / Twilight / Eternity are so overdone.

Attachments:

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: Anmida.4058

Anmida.4058

Not obssesed myself, either. The effort is hardly worth the outcome, the skins are just particle effects that don’t fit most of my characters, and they aren’t even toggle-able so I could at least choose whenether I want to leave rainbows behind or not.
The amount of time/effort/money necessary to make a single one just for, as mentioned before, “bragging rights” is simply a failed attempt at giving longevity to the game through crafting.

As also mentioned before, I don’t even consider legendaries something of prestige, either. You spent a lot of time looking up at guides and pooling money by running dungeons and farming? Go you. I am sure that was worth it.
Now if legendaries actually required some sort of skill/questline/challenge to actually get them? I probably would love to get on it.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

Bam!
Instant prestige and rareness surpassing legendaries! (for a few more months at least)

Sunrise / Twilight / Eternity are so overdone.

Good for you!

Personally, if this is the skin for sunrise, i will indeed sold my dawn instead of craft myself a legendary.

But you are right, its prestige and rareness surpassing legendaries!

And yes all the legendary are skin, nice or not depends on players. If Belinda’s Katana is released, i will cover my sunrise with it in a heart beat, seriously.

(edited by Crossaber.8934)

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

It is not everyone. Not everyone cares about Legendary weapons. I don’t care about the legendary weapons. It depends on way to much grind and luck. When something that depends on grind and luck, the prestige of what it is supposed to be gets severally less.

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

For me, personally, it’s more about having something to do, something to work towards. I will say that unless they were weapons I wanted it wasn’t worth the time or effort, so I did have to pick legendaries that interested me. But after that it was more so that I had something to work for.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: WasAGuest.4973

WasAGuest.4973

Still waiting for a Legendary Item that doesn’t look silly here. I’m hoping someday we get an artist in game that doesn’t think Oversized Anime-ish weapons are “Legendary”.

Give me a Longword with a subtle glow (not flames or overly bright particles) or Rapier with a slight blur effect and I would be all over it.

Prestige is lost the second one has to enter the TP or play the RNG for the items. It’s no longer awe-inspiring; it’s simply another item that can be bought.
Last time I saw a game with true Prestige items was EQ. Items that took months to get, required groups, teams and real effort to take down huge foes in dangerous areas to get parts for long quest chains.
Prestige is also lost when items don’t fit the general theme of the game. Bows that shoot Unicorns?? Stuff like that just break immersion and are silly, not Prestigious.
As GW2 seems to try and fit within a Victorian/Steam-Punk lite theme, many of the items just don’t fit and come across as desperate “What can we make next?” items rather than something nice.

My opinion of course, but Prestige items is something GW2 severely lacks and desperately needs. And I personally wish there was an option to turn off ALL other players back items and weapon effects… I would just love to see what I’m hitting now and then rather than the particle light show that covers the great art on some of the mobs.

<— proud owner of Krytan and Lion’s Arch weapon skins.

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

You’re not the only one…

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Not everyone, everyone with bad taste you mean. I’d be interested if they didn’t look like the ugly sister of my little pony weapons that leave puddles of vomit footsteps on my screen when others use them. I wish there was a checkbox to turn off the effects tbh.

(edited by Paul.4081)

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Don’t sorry good sir.

I too find a lot of the legendaries pretty ugly.

The ones that I like are:
-Eternity
-Predator
-Twilight
-Sunrise
-Incinerator
-Bolt (I don’t even want Bolt because I think Whisperblade looks better)

All the other ones can kiss my purple kitten .

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Personally I only want a legendary because it’s “legendary”. It gives me a goal to work towards.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Another friend of mine got the Dreamer solely because he wanted to shoot rainbow unicorns at people. XD

How do you know me? :-p

Because seriously, that’s the reason my old guild helped me build The Dreamer for my ranger… because it was so hilariously awful. Beyond that, I can’t say I’ve been particularly driven to get another.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

When the game originally came out I thought Twilight was the greatest thing I’d ever seen and promptly started working towards it. Almost 2 years and no precursor later, I’ve essentially stopped caring. Problem is: I have all materials except for the precursor, which I am saving up for. Second problem is: I see so many people with Twilight/Sunrise/Eternity that I no longer care enough to actually save my money. I keep spending it on other skins I want, or crafting Ascended.

Pretty sure getting Dusk to drop magically from a mob is the only way I’ll get Twilight finished. I’m sure as heck not saving up 1000g+ for a skin I only kinda sorta want at this point when I can spend that money elsewhere.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Clear.8512

Clear.8512

1. Stat change on the fly when out of combat
2. If not purchased with money the journey of crafting all the pieces needed ( excluding the random for the precursor)
3. In the ***opinion*** of some they love the look.
4. For me getting mine is a nice status symbol for myself. Yes a legendary is old news but for me I like seeing the skin and know I worked on all the materials to get one.

I can’t stress the word opinion on reason 3 enough.

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

I hope all of you talking about the stat change on the fly realize that you can buy all stats of an ascended weapon (yes buy, that means pay for everything except Vision Crystals) for about the same price as a Precursor alone. With the other thousand gold (or more, depending on what Legendary you’re going for), you can get max bag slots and fill them with 20 slot bags. From there, you now have stat swapping weapons on the fly while out of combat.

If you’re going to say: “But Esplen, we don’t have that much inventory space!” 1000g is more than enough to reach 160 inventory slots and I have 8 full armorsets on my Mesmer, 6 of which I carry or wear with me at all times. I also have 14 Swords, 10 of which I carry with me, 3 Staves, 2 of which I carry with me… want me to continue…? I haven’t even reached my Potions/Foods/Consumables/Fun Items.

Did I mention I rarely ever run out of inventory space? The one time I ran out was because I went a week without going to a bank or merchant, so my inventory was filled with Sigils, Runes, and Junk (Gray).

Although, yes, I do have a Legendary. I don’t wear it all the time, nor do I care that it’s “super awesome rararaaa”. I made it because I wanted it as a part-time goal to work towards when I was bored. I slowly gathered up the materials, then right at the end, did a burst buy and sell spree where I liquidated a lot of my assets and bought the materials from people in LA (did not use TP to save myself a few silvers). Also bought my pre for somewhere between 200-300g back then. I don’t use my legendary as a symbol of money or prowess. I like the purple glow and, because I’m Asura, you can’t see the weapon itself, anyways. Also, Mesmers and lots of confetti play well together. If only they affected Phantasms somehow. Sucks having only one attack (on a 25/20 second cooldown) that makes the sound and shoots the animation.

Tl;dr:
Woooooooooo~ can go from Berserker to Berserker while out of combat! Or Rabid to Rabid! Wooooooo~. Wait a minute…

Posted by: pho.9412

pho.9412

cos I can poop rainbow flower unicorns with it. and that makes me feel warm.

on the “more serious” note, Some people got em a year ago, or even longer, when they were cheap. Some people got lucky and get them as drops, so might as well make it. if you don’t like it, don’t get it. But, don’t complain because you don’t have one.

and looking good or not, that depends on the owner. If they think their legendary looks cute, good, nice, grand, glorious. That is their opinion.

I don’t really care if people flash those legendary at my face. I mean, in my guild there are a group of guys that own eternity. And every time someone says legendary, they would say “did someone say legendary/ etenity?” and they would fill the chat with eternity and legendary links. which get quite annoying. But, I think they just want to have fun. They are not bashing anyone for not having a legendary.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

You do realize they weren’t “cheap” when the richest players had less than 1000g and most had never seen 100g, right?

The fact that so many on these forums talk about nothing but how to get (or not get) a Precursor (obvious obsession with obtaining a Legendary) is to some degree disturbing. If your only reason to play this game is to “poop rainbow flower unicorns” (not my words….but they ARE awesome ones), then you might want to take a step back and examine WHY you are playing at all.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Spiderbite.8049

Spiderbite.8049

i want rainbow footprints

“No, I don’t.”

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

They’re largely a status symbol. Like the guy who buys an expensive car to show off.

It’s sort of like people desiring to be rich and famous.

They’re also the end-endgame of gear for some players. Sure, ascended weapons have the same stats, but legendary weapons are, well… legendary. They’re viewed more as the pinnacle of gear acquisition.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to “poop rainbows”

It’s a video game, let the player do what they want. They bought it, they got the legendary, and they apparently have fun shooting rainbows.

You can’t shoot rainbows in real life. You can in this game though. And maybe that is the reason they are playing, who knows.

Also, being able to switch stats on the fly is really convenient. Never will I have to craft newly released ascended stats like Nomad for some of my weapons.

Besides, on my Mesmer, I already have 4 sets of different armor stats, and I would need to use more space had I went for Ascended weapons.

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

(edited by LumAnth.5124)