Why is there not a PvP Server?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: okaygo.5473

okaygo.5473

Q:

The playerbase wants to know, why no open world pvp?

You would think that a game with 5 races, a world vs world system, an arena style pvp system, plus a down-scale leveling system would have one PvP server where you could attack mostly everybody while leveling. Many successful games have done this, and this game is lacking it in all aspects. Even if it was something really simple or basic, there should be a server where the PvE leveling has an element of PvP to it.

I think the ideal system would be a mashup of a lot of features that already exist in the game.

I know this type of server would be amazing for a lot of people. I’ve picked that style of server in many games: UO, WoW, SwToR, (I know many more have existed and I have tried many, EVE, Darkfall, even Runescape had open world pvp) and it is missing from this game. The WvW is pretty fun but I don’t want to level my character in a zergfest, I still want to quest and have to run from and kill players. The server can be extremely cut throat too, we do not care about pvp blocking progress in this server. Seriosuly ANet, why the complete lack of server style? Guild Wars 2 should of also been the ultimate open world pvp game.

Posted by: Ukaei.8694

Ukaei.8694

inc care bears stating why they don’t want world pvp.

They out number us true pvpers. The red coat organized BS is fun for awhile.. but nothing compares to TRUE SAVAGE WORLD PVE ENVIORMENT PVP.

Posted by: Atrixer.9275

Atrixer.9275

Because there are no factions, and the PVE is casual. /Thread

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

It compromises the vision of the cooperative gameworld. One of GW2’s great strengths is that a player in the area isn’t competing with you for drops or resources or mobs or whatever, and because of that, everyone in the world is on your team. I like that about GW2.

That it does this while offering sustainable world-style PvP is amazing and eliminates the need for a PvP server ruleset.

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

Posted by: Bhuta.1480

Bhuta.1480

Must admit I would love to see a proper open world pvp server.With the down scaling of zones would make for a great pvp environment. Though must admit I personally prefer some sort of faction divide rather than the total free for all type pvp. Unfortunately I don’t think gw2 is that game, shame as I’m desperately trying to find a replacement for Faxion online, darkfall unholy wars releases next month though so hopefully that will give me my open world pvp fix that I’m missing.

(edited by Bhuta.1480)

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

Um, you are not the player base, you are one person.

PvP servers are fail. No point to it when there’s no point to world PvP.

OMG, you’re red, you’re dead, I keeel you. So compelling.

Posted by: Tirien.1326

Tirien.1326

Real PvP is when both know what is about to go down.

If i fight someone irl i dont charge someone from behind with full force, i’m not a bi*ch and i’m not weak.

Be a man you girls, the only real PvP is when both knows what is about to happen.
:)

Posted by: Deth.4109

Deth.4109

there are no factions bro, so if they were open world pvp servers whos the enemy?? youd just be killing random people who are completley oblivious to your intention. like for example, doing a DE and just killing the people your working with that realy doesnt sound fun.

okaygo.5473

Each race could be a faction, just make that treaty never happen and then you have the conditions for a open world pvp game.

Guilds can then create they’re own factions and alliances. It’s only limited by the devs imagination.

Bhuta.1480

Real PvP is when both know what is about to go down.

If i fight someone irl i dont charge someone from behind with full force, i’m not a bi*ch and i’m not weak.

Be a man you girls, the only real PvP is when both knows what is about to happen.
:)

I get bored very quickly with structured pvp, the thing I like about open world is going about my business not knowing if I’m going to get jumped at some point. It adds that extra bit of excitement. For me it’s not actually about killing other players but instead about other players not killing me.

Posted by: Tortun.5946

Tortun.5946

Open world PvP could come in at any point as Treaties between the races are in place and could collapse at any time for whatever reason

At the moment though sPVP and WvWvW should be enough for any man… it’s only been two months and for me a few weeks so it’s not high on my list of priorities as I’ve having so much fun in W3

Tortun – Protector of Gandara and Bessie!
WvWvW Player Who Doesn’t Have Much of A Clue

Posted by: Deth.4109

Deth.4109

id say gladiatorial pits placed at random all over tyria to allow players to go and scrap it out would be best as opposed to all out war.

Posted by: silencer.5028

silencer.5028

EVE and UO both feature total equipement/gear/etc loss on death. In short, only in this case does open PvP make any sense at all and that is only when backed by strong sandbox elements.

WvWvW is “open” PvP, you can even gank people who are trying to get exploration, etc. Without total loss/sandbox mechanics (where said losses play a major part in the games economy and also make sure that the risk of oPvP actually offsets the silliness of it or serves a different purpose in general) open PvP servers are generally huge gank fests, further made unfair by gear differences.

Surprise, surprise the “harr open world PvP kill everyone” ego stroking tends to vanish much when one mistake costs you all your stuff.

In short, WvW lets you do all the things you can do with non-total loss MMO oPvP servers with the exception of only dealing with people aware of the danger and willing to deal with it. Sorries, no noob ganking and high school bully-like behavior for you ;P

Posted by: Budg.3064

Budg.3064

This really wouldn’t work with things like dynamic events and big world bosses as the targetting system makes spells and other projectiles hit the first enemy in its path rather than passing through all other entities before hitting. The sheer amount of friendly fire would cripple any sort of teamwork and make actually hitting enemies in large events almost impossible.

The only way around this I can think of at the moment would be grouping up, but unless you shell out 100g for a commander tome then you’ll be stuck with only 5 players that won’t be affected by each others attacks.

Posted by: lollie.5816

lollie.5816

Comes down to one thing – economics. Not enough money in it to justify running the server for you and the 30 other guys left on this server at the end of three months’ worth of beatings from all the open world pvp/gankings.

Posted by: Humor.5763

Humor.5763

I do believe it was stated long ago in a Developer video, that “Guild Wars 2 is a social community” (correct me if I’m wrong).

To me, and from what I’ve heard, Guild Wars 2 is simply following the storyline from Guild Wars 1, the novels, etc. And is all about working together to defeat the “End Threat” of the game. Why would you even think for a second, that a game coming from all this, would have open world PvP?

I don’t doubt games with Open World PvP are awesome, taking a look back to Lineage 2, Tera, Aion, etc, and all the mass PKing I’ve done, I did enjoy it. But, since Guild Wars 2 is first and foremost story driven, the addition of open world PvP, on top of the hordes, and hordes of monsters always around you, would kind of be pointless. If you’re expecting the type of open world PvP where you would just sneak around, and kill unexpecting “Victims” it just wouldn’t happen in that manner, you’d either be swamped by monsters, before, or after you’ve killed the other player, and the end result would lead in your death anyways.

Open World PvP games are great, but Guild Wars 2, is more less for the “Casual” players out there, of course this is simply my opinion, but it’s nice to sit down, play a game, and just not worry about watching your back 24/7. And you know what? If you want to, you can do that as well, heck, the entire game of Guild Wars 2 could be turned into PvP in the blink of and eye, and one mouse click, only without causing anyone else harm to their version of “Fun”. Guild Wars 2 still needs tons of improvements, but overall, just because they left out open world PvP, doesn’t make it anything short of a “Good” time.

Like God…
Only Better…

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

Must admit I would love to see a proper open world pvp server.With the down scaling of zones would make for a great pvp environment. Though must admit I personally prefer some sort of faction divide rather than the total free for all type pvp. Unfortunately I don’t think gw2 is that game, shame as I’m desperately trying to find a replacement for Faxion online, darkfall unholy wars releases next month though so hopefully that will give me my open world pvp fix that I’m missing.

Down-scaling doesn’t work all that well. First, it puts you at least one level above the target level for the given area. Second, you’re still going to be “over powered” compared to the fresh lower level. The player in level appropriate greens (Rares start at what, 35?) is still undergeared compared to the downgraded Exotics. If it’s not clear, imagine running around Orr solo in greens versus in Exotics.

And to answer the OP’s question: There is no PvP server because the game and lore has no inter-racial conflict among the playable races. Add in the fact that “servers” are all just virtual nameplates and anyone can be on any “server” at any time. It would just make no sense.

okaygo.5473

All the lore needs is to have a cutscene where everyone backstabs each other and then have ONE SERVER where its like this. Technically they really only need 3 servers for this to work. 6 if they want to have EU and NA regions. It’s not as easy as a switch in the code, but as a smaller addition down the road, is this something planned?

(edited by okaygo.5473)

Bhuta.1480

@Pennry, I agree it is still unbalanced but nowhere near as unbalanced as most open world pvp games.

It’s a nice idea op and I would defiantly transfer to a pvp server but like many have said it would probably need to many game changes for it to ever happen, so I will keep holding out for another good open world pvp mmo to come out while GW2 stays as my casual love everyone mmo

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

World PvP would make no sense, there is no warring factions in the game among playable races. In a future expansion they could do this, but in terms of the story delivered with GW2 it would make no sense for you as a Charr to go attack a Asura. The entire system is designed around cooperative play between the races so how could you do this?

Now open world duels (1 on 1) matches performed on an request duel/accept duel basis would be cool and I believe that’s coming.

Posted by: Tiresias.6473

Tiresias.6473

Because it doesn’t work.

ArenaNet has answered this question already — multiple times.

The dynamic events are supposed to bring people together, but on a PvP server they act as beacons for people who just want to grief. Due to event scaling the “spoiler” players in the event cause the event to grow more difficult while acting AGAINST the event’s goal.

Furthermore: area combos. Remember, this game is specifically designed to allow you to remain outside of a party with someone while still being able to combo with them, help them, rally/revive them, etc. Now you have a bunch of people with PvP flags all turned on — whom can you combo with? Is that smokescreen supposed to be a friendly effect or a hostile one?

Stop for just a minute and think about all the game systems that are SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED to encourage organic, spontaneous group play. Now think about how you would account for them on a PvP server.

This game is not WoW. You aren’t supposed to go out solo and grind quests in static areas where you can set up a basecamp of sorts and be on the lookout for gankers. This game has events that are specifically designed to draw people to certain areas from long distances, and that operates on the principal of everyone in an area working together.

Main character: Winter Harvest (Necromancer)
[BICE] Black Ice / Maguuma Server

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

A game designed for open PvP can be fantastic.

However, a game designed for PvE with PvP in set zones, which then has PvP enabled everywhere in some last-minute PvP server will almost certainly be awful.

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

okaygo.5473

A game designed for open PvP can be fantastic.

However, a game designed for PvE with PvP in set zones, which then has PvP enabled everywhere in some last-minute PvP server will almost certainly be awful.

Pretty much every other pvp server in all other mmorpgs that werent designed with this mindset from the beginnings.

Posted by: Ryth.6518

Ryth.6518

I think this is one thing where GW2 went the wrong way. Most of us came from WoW in my group and we all miss the world element of PvP.

Problem is, this game’s factions all get along. It would literally be a all out war out there if you could attack anyone.

I do wish they had somthing similar to Alliance vs Horde. I mean maybe they could do something where they have 2 factions that you decide to pick from in the storyline and then those individuals are always tagged in red so at least you know who’s friend or foe. Won’t happen but I do miss that about WoW.

BTW, my friend is playing MoP and showed me the other day…holy cr-p on how bad that game looks….looks soooo bad and outdated…lol.

Ryth.6518

World PvP would make no sense, there is no warring factions in the game among playable races. In a future expansion they could do this, but in terms of the story delivered with GW2 it would make no sense for you as a Charr to go attack a Asura. The entire system is designed around cooperative play between the races so how could you do this?

Now open world duels (1 on 1) matches performed on an request duel/accept duel basis would be cool and I believe that’s coming.

They could enable something at end game where you pick a certain ‘group’ or ‘faction’ and quests send you into PvP enabled zones (like say WvWvW) and it becomes part of the storyline, questing, etc.

Consider it server only WvWvW but just your server and only in certain parts or new areas.

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

because anet clearly stated in their interviews that they want to make the game all about helping each other, building a community up. a pvp-world server goes against this philosophy.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: Dead.7385

Dead.7385

Ok first. How would this be done without interfering with the game at all? Tossing in random PvP somewhere doesn’t make PvP good at all if the components don’t work with it.

The DE scaling system would go BONKERS with Open World PvP. I can just image people running a team of 10 and grefing lower levels by upscaling DEs and camping their Meta events. Add on top of that allied NPC’s won’t even assist the lower level player.

Games with open world PvP have to be built ground up to support it. No way in any shape does the PvE world in GW2 support any PvP aside from duels and arena inside cities/hidden.

Posted by: Gallian.7630

Gallian.7630

Because it’s not necessary in GW2 according to how the game was built.

You have a separate dedicated game-play mode that focuses on PvP called WvW.

In WvW even the environment mimics that of the regular PvE maps. You have mobs around if you want to grind, you have Vistas and PoI’s to find by exploration. There’s a system of supply and you can build some structures, there’s mobs waging war and you can help the ones you chose to have them at your side for a time. It’s all indirectly a form of questing in a PvE-like environment with ongoing PvP at any given moment or location, provided of course that you run into the enemy players. It is a form of “world PvP” (I.E. within an actual quests and leveling-based PvE portion of a given game) but at a smaller scale (still large enough on its own).

There’s even players whom never bothered playing the PvE portion of GW2 yet and exclusively play GW2’s WvW as a game on its own right. Additionally, there’s not as much of an actual conflict between the races as I understand it so far as it is when compared to similar games to justify (lore-wise) an open Tyria-wide conflict (which would itself justify open world PvP). But even if you do have a lore that permits that kind of constant conflict between races, it still doesn’t hold up since there already is that sort of conflict being implemented in WvW anyway. It’s there, just use that game-play mode. If not then GW2 is not the game you seek if you like other types of PvP.

Finally, as far as an actual dedicated server for PvP goes… it’s not necessary either, since PvE and PvP is already split in two effectively by having the “regular” PvE game, and the WvW portion which itself is already separated from said PvE portion.

(edited by Gallian.7630)

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

I love how people refer to themselves as “true pvp”ers. I am happy to meet you over at Eve online, where death can destroy real life weeks of work in an instant. Also, that is spitting into the face of GW1 pvp veterans who fought on a world class level, those were not “true pvpers”?

No, GW2 is not tailored for open world pvp, we do not need ganking at promising event points and all the nice stuff open world pvp brings with it.

(edited by Algreg.3629)

Posted by: Greiger.7092

Greiger.7092

GW2 does not need oPvP.

Open PvP here would quickly devolve into ranged classes camping level adjustment spots. You know that spot in frostgorge south of earthshake waypoint that has a bunch of lv 80 drakes but you get leveled down to 74? Imagine going through there with an elementalist or ranger camping on the level adjustment line instead of just some easily evaded drakes.

Or parties will become a necessity, with groups of 4 or 5 running over anybody they see.

Open world PvP is and always will be, this system included, a completely one sided gankfest, with one side not having any hope of defending themselves from attack. In games with no level restrictions in zones it’s a max level in PvP gear running around in a level 20 area goomba stomping everyone they see and being proud of their victory. Here it would be guilds running around flattening anybody who dosn’t spend 10 minutes putting together a pug before going out and stomping moa. (And the gankers will still kick their kitten because chances are they have the advantage of voice comms.)

Ryth.6518

Ok first. How would this be done without interfering with the game at all? Tossing in random PvP somewhere doesn’t make PvP good at all if the components don’t work with it.

The DE scaling system would go BONKERS with Open World PvP. I can just image people running a team of 10 and grefing lower levels by upscaling DEs and camping their Meta events. Add on top of that allied NPC’s won’t even assist the lower level player.

Games with open world PvP have to be built ground up to support it. No way in any shape does the PvE world in GW2 support any PvP aside from duels and arena inside cities/hidden.

You could ‘enable’ open world PvP in new maps or zones…plus the best way to do it is involve the personal storyline where again you pick some sort of ‘faction’ and those that are of the opposite faction are ‘red’ in that zone and you are feel to engage…consider it something like a small scale WvWvW with quests and objectives.

Posted by: Xander.9024

Xander.9024

I remember playing RIFT for a little while, it was my first taste of PVP. I rolled my toon on a PVP server just to see what it was like. In the lower zones it wasn’t to bad, as you got out to the higher level zones it became a gank fest. You would have one person, or more at some places, who would just camp a node or a world boss spawn point and wait for the opposing faction to come in and..well..let the beatings begin…neither side could finish any event since every time we tried to team up some people would get trigger happy and all you see is “stop hitting def’s, stop hitting guards.” Then it was chaos. Also, with all the aoe friendly fire, as one poster pointed out, no one really knew if the opposing faction meant to hit us or not, so again, people went for the players instead of finishing the event. Now I did find one or two people from the opposing faction that was cool to travel with, but not many.

Posted by: Methesda.5198

Methesda.5198

I don’t get it.

There is a WvWvW arena, with PvE content in it…

And people want to put PvP content in the PvE world, and remove the PvE content from the PvP place.

wtf? /sigh

Posted by: Dikeido.8436

Dikeido.8436

I think this is one thing where GW2 went the wrong way. Most of us came from WoW in my group and we all miss the world element of PvP.

Problem is, this game’s factions all get along. It would literally be a all out war out there if you could attack anyone.

I do wish they had somthing similar to Alliance vs Horde. I mean maybe they could do something where they have 2 factions that you decide to pick from in the storyline and then those individuals are always tagged in red so at least you know who’s friend or foe. Won’t happen but I do miss that about WoW.

BTW, my friend is playing MoP and showed me the other day…holy cr-p on how bad that game looks….looks soooo bad and outdated…lol.

You left wow to fine something new or different but in the end instead of accepting what is new or different you insist on turning that game into the same game you just left. In short you basically saying GW2 is wrong for not being a WOW clone.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

When I first heard of GW2, I was imagining that at least the WvW if not the pvp would have been on Tyria instead of on the separate mini-map games. I played another NCSoft game, Lineage 2, where your pvp very much was in the main world (no instances at all) and affected the world.

That’s just not the game they decided to build – keeping pvp and wvw completely separate from the game world.

Posted by: Erhnam.5732

Erhnam.5732

You are not the player base

Posted by: Raging Bull.5048

Raging Bull.5048

That’s a really good question. While I don’t know the answer, I do know that this is what’s hurting this game THE MOST – on so many levels.

Posted by: genoshan.4608

genoshan.4608

I would join an oPvP server straight away.

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

There is an open pvp server called WvWvW. It basically is a PvP server.

Posted by: Raging Bull.5048

Raging Bull.5048

It has NOTHING to do with open world PvP. People claiming so haven’t got a clue of what open world PvP is.

Posted by: aleiro.8521

aleiro.8521

Game was designed as Coop PvE, true PvPers do structured PvP, and if you want to, you can totally gank in WvW, if you can’t you are just not trying hard enough.

beren.6048

@aleiro well no, because everybody is 80 and the fun of open world pvp is to stand in front of Divinity Reach gate and gank people new to the game.

@OP Why you want to interrupt peoples PvE entertainment? Go fight people who want to fight you in WvWvW, in a situation where player skill is more important than the armor you wair. Guild wars 2 is the first game with a real innovative vision on PvP. There are so many gankfest games out there.

In general, to satisfy people who like power play, there could be a weekly PvP fight to own each of the major cities.

Posted by: ZaiTh.6378

ZaiTh.6378

Big Thumbs up if it was faction based. I would move there in a second. For all of the others saying no why even speak about it? Just dont join that server, it is simple. I don’t understand why people try to come off that way, it has zero effect on you and w/e blue server you play on.

My avenues of game play is always a bonus irregardless of “anyone’s” stance.

Tranzik 80 Mesmer (Stormbluff Isle)
400 Tailor/400 Weaponsmith
I beat the Game in less than 2 Months.

Posted by: Fenes.6013

Fenes.6013

It has NOTHING to do with open world PvP. People claiming so haven’t got a clue of what open world PvP is.

It offers PvE content, and is PvP enabled. You can gank people exploring it.

beren.6048

@ZaiTh Indeed, most certainly I won’t join. I don’t like PvE only nor PvP at every moment. Imo you can have such a server as long as they leave my GW2 style server alone.

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

The PvP I suspect you’re looking for isn’t sustainable. Not in the MMO market, anyway.

GW2’s WvW system is set up in many ways to be sustainable, with three-sided, rotating PvP matches in zones that allow for various scales of combat to occur. This ensures that PvP players always have content (other players) without being able to press those players to the point that they either break morale as a group, or quit as individuals.

Other games have had good design for PvP, most notably in recent years games like Rift, Aion, and Warhammer, and each failed to have sustainable levels of action because no matter how well the design, there’s no content without players. One group of players drives the other away from the game, gets bored and quits themselves.

Do you know that Rift has THREE NA PvP ruleset servers left? Weren’t there something like twenty originally? It’s because the PvP players drove each other way. And yeah I’m sure Rift has suffered a general loss of players, but it’s the ratio of PvP to PvE servers remaining that’s telling.

Aion and Warhammer both suffered because of an inflexible two-sided design where one side’s morale was eventually broken. Non-consensual PvP via Aion’s rift system was nerfed and nerfed again and nerfed again until, at the time that I stopped playing, the only consistent PvP that was happening was the large scale fort fights in the abyss, and even that only if both sides decided to field a force.

The reason why I go out of my way to explain all of that stuff is to reiterate that truly open PvP just doesn’t work with this crowd of people, and it’s largely because people take advantage of the open system to hunt other players.

Which is cool, but as I said, it can’t last. You’ll drive your victims away, then you’ll get bored and quit yourself. Besides, there are better options nowadays if you want to hunt players. I highly suggest the game Dark Souls, which allows players to invade each other’s worlds for the express purpose of hunting them. Predator and prey. That’s what you want, right?

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

Posted by: Veenix.5248

Veenix.5248

your right, in open world pvp your just hoping to catch people off guard and in some 1v1 scenario.

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

That all depends how you define W-PvP. It also depends strongly on how the game is designed.

In this case two solutions would work.

1) ! FFA PvP server i.e a Mordred style server. It would still make no sense, since you would need more than just a PvE envoirment server to go with the FFA server. You’d need a special WvW zone aswell for the FFA server that would be purely guild based. Otherwise it wouldnt make much sense running around killing everyone then suddenly you are all happy campers fighting together in the mists.

2) Open world PvPvE zones in a future expansion. Zones shared by 3 servers, much like the current WvW zone with a few changes.

-No keeps or other structures to claim.
-Seperate major heart locations in your “home area” for each server. You would be able to do all of them eventually when your servers color/starting spawn changes every two weeks.
-Neutral shared hearts/events in the central map
-No queues.

In addition to these zones there would be PvE zones of the same level range for those that dont want or cant PvP while leveling, like small servers for instance if they face large servers in their rotation. This would solve everyones needs without having to split up server populations or create new rulesets on servers. It would also work completely like any regular PvP server in any other MMO.

@: Corian.4068: Very true what you wrote. It happened in WoW too. That game was a blast in W-PvP, just ganking and being an kitten but slowly it died away due to changes to this and that. People leveled on, zones died out, instance systems changed, camping stones got “nerfed” and so on.

Finding that one guy in a zone and camping his poor body just wasnt fun anymore.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

(edited by SneakyErvin.3056)

Posted by: Luthien.8026

Luthien.8026

Hey actually i wanna say thanks for something new here. Copy after copy after copy of mmos that have almost no lore and turn into total ganking feest. Hey this one is different! Why u “player’s base” wanna change it? There is a long list of mmo’s “open world pvp in ur liking”. Why u wanna change this?

Posted by: Xia.3485

Xia.3485

No world PvP was one of the selling points of this game. If you want to PvP, either do WvWvW or structured PvP.

And if all you want is griefing lowbies, this isn’t the game for you.