Why is there not a PvP Server?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ZaiTh.6378

ZaiTh.6378

And we will continue to have them in the future with other MMo’s.

Tranzik 80 Mesmer (Stormbluff Isle)
400 Tailor/400 Weaponsmith
I beat the Game in less than 2 Months.

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

No world PvP was one of the selling points of this game. If you want to PvP, either do WvWvW or structured PvP.

And if all you want is griefing lowbies, this isn’t the game for you.

This, I agree with Xia. Some people are bored and then usually lowbie ganking starts. Suprise, not possible in GW2.

One reason for me to buy GW2 is because it has this separation. There are nice games that have this open world ganking. Don’t understand why you buy a game that has this as a selling point. You never read anything about it?

(edited by beren.6048)

Posted by: Ditton.3149

Ditton.3149

Ive never been in a pvp server that didnt end up degrading itself into nothing but a bunch of gankers wanting to kill whoever the “new guy” was. Its not worth the resources and would die quickly, you can bet me anything you want. Show me a FFA pvp game that survived. If it survives its like Eve..a complete niche game, eeking out an existence with the crowd it has and not backed by huge corporate investors…just isnt going to happen. Not enough revenue in it for them.

In a server where nobody cares about lore or how they look..how is Anet going to make cash? boosters..no, costumes..no…so then what? Sorry guys, it sounds on the surface like a good idea, it never is.

and Ive played on real open world ffa pvp games..shadowbane, ultima online..where the minute you stepped outside of the beginner zone..you were nothing but meat with dollar signs above your head.

Posted by: ZaiTh.6378

ZaiTh.6378

Ive never been in a pvp server that didnt end up degrading itself into nothing but a bunch of gankers wanting to kill whoever the “new guy” was. Its not worth the resources and would die quickly, you can bet me anything you want. Show me a FFA pvp game that survived. If it survives its like Eve..a complete niche game, eeking out an existence with the crowd it has and not backed by huge corporate investors…just isnt going to happen. Not enough revenue in it for them.

In a server where nobody cares about lore or how they look..how is Anet going to make cash? boosters..no, costumes..no…so then what? Sorry guys, it sounds on the surface like a good idea, it never is.

and Ive played on real open world ffa pvp games..shadowbane, ultima online..where the minute you stepped outside of the beginner zone..you were nothing but meat with dollar signs above your head.

Alas you kept playing pvp games. Contradiction is a (fill this in). Again, don’t roll a toon their and problem solved, you won’t get ganked.

Tranzik 80 Mesmer (Stormbluff Isle)
400 Tailor/400 Weaponsmith
I beat the Game in less than 2 Months.

Posted by: chasingfuries.9635

chasingfuries.9635

i havent read this whole thread but i say yes i would join one in a heartbeat. how bout when you have pvp mode activated when you’re in the area of a currently running event, it causes you more/all mob aggro, and possibly extra dmg taken from mobs. that way pvpers wouldnt camp event areas and grief. also, lvl 1-15 areas would be nonpkable, obviously, pking people that are trying out new weapons etc would be lame
then pvp kills could work like this- giving you a small % of the money the pked person had in their inventory, possibly make their body lootable with a small amount of items they had in their inventory (like 1 or 2) give you pvp points (which go down 1 by 1 after a period of time), and the more you have make you drop more items from inventory and/or equipped gear and money on your own death
fun pvp

(edited by chasingfuries.9635)

Posted by: bcbully.7289

bcbully.7289

Because there are no factions. This is a friendly place.

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

Open world pvp just leads to griefing, but if it was only some servers you have to pick I couldn’t care less how someone else plays. I’d never step foot on there though.

That said it just wouldn’t work in the game’s current state, for one thing all the races are at peace so it would go against established lore.

(edited by Shinzan.2908)

Posted by: Raging Bull.5048

Raging Bull.5048

GW2 as a whole isn’t sustainable, nor is any feature it offers. So please don’t lecture me on what’s sustainable and what isn’t.

Posted by: Sin.8174

Sin.8174

Open world pvp just leads to griefing, but if it was only some servers you have to pick I couldn’t care less how someone else plays. I’d never step foot on there though.

That said it just wouldn’t work in the game’s current state, for one thing all the races are at peace so it would go against established lore.

Bandits? Flame Legion? Inquest? Sons of Svanir? Nightmare Court?

…You were saying?

Orphyn X – 8X Thief – Tarnished Coast
Lady Raevyn – 11 Necromancer – TC
Fanboy- The New Godwin’s Law.

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

Those are the bad guys our characters aren’t part of any of those groups. Just explaining they would need to rework the whole game to allow for factions and allegiances, it’s not as easy as turning on a pvp flag so would require time and resources that could be spend elsewhere.

Posted by: ExDead.3945

ExDead.3945

best open world pvp ever was when DAoC released the pvp servers. no realm guards just straight up fighting everywhere. didn’t even matter what faction you were in just grab a guild group and have epic guild wars….with the entire server!

Raging Bull.5048

best open world pvp ever was when DAoC released the pvp servers. no realm guards just straight up fighting everywhere. didn’t even matter what faction you were in just grab a guild group and have epic guild wars….with the entire server!

I envy you, because I haven’t played DAoC. If only the sequel was on the horizon…

Posted by: moirweyn.9872

moirweyn.9872

Any argument I could make against open world PvP has probably been said, not going to read 117+ posts. Besides, this game was never designed with that in mind, it would completely destroy the PvE & WvW mechanics of the game.

“There are two types of people in the world…and I don’t like them.”

Raging Bull.5048

Any argument I could make against open world PvP has probably been said, not going to read 117+ posts. Besides, this game was never designed with that in mind, it would completely destroy the PvE & WvW mechanics of the game.

Does PvE/WvW “mechanics” really need additional destruction? Can they be degraded even further? I mean, they suck so bad at the moment it’s hard to believe they can be any worse.

Ditton.3149

Im not speaking against the idea, Im just saying it wont happen. Ganking has nothing to do with it, there is no money in it. You can keep wanting all you want, until you give a reason that pays, nobody will care.

You are talking entire code reversal and changes, world changes, lore changes, spell and weapon changes..all for what? 1-3 servers at best? with like…1k people? yeah…thats going to sell to the investors.

(edited by Ditton.3149)

Posted by: Nomaq.3521

Nomaq.3521

I see these types of posts all the time and it’s really not helping our cause. All we’re ever going to get is an avalanche of negative responses from people who would probably never play on the server in the first place. We’re not proposing we change all the servers, we’re only asking for an ADDITIONAL server type which is OPTIONAL. I’m certain if there was this type of server it would be full of players who DO enjoy it, including myself and my friends.

Back in the day I played on DAoC’s PvP server Mordred (http://camelotherald.wikia.com/wiki/PvP_Server_Addendum) and it was probably the most fun I’ve ever had in an MMO. While on the subject of DAoC, the WvWvW in GW2 is a lot like DAoC’s RvR (Realm vs Realm); large scale PvP vs the opposing realms zerg of players, taking keeps/holding relics etc. Still, DAoC could see that this game-type does not cater towards PvPers who enjoy smaller scale skirmishes in a persistent world, which is why they created a new server type (Mordred) and completely went against the games traditional lore/rules/story and allowed you to group with anyone from any faction or race, attack anyone anywhere except in designated safe-zones (capital cities), or people from your guild/party. Also you may be thinking this must have been a total gank-fest, on the contrary, killing “greys” (low level players) was also considered extremely lame in the community so you could quite comfortably level your char without being ganked by someone higher than you. There was the occasional lamer, but not often, and those players were usually dealt with quite swiftly. The best guilds didn’t run around in huge packs either, the top guilds only ever ran with a team of 8 men, the scrubs tried to zerg yet they were still no match for the better players. Your reputation and your guilds reputation was important and guilds/players became famous within the PvP community for their triumphs while honoring the rules set by the community. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to turn Guild Wars in to DAoC the two games are completely different – I’m just saying Guild Wars has the potential to deliver the same experience as Mordred.

Continued….

Nomaq.3521

When I apply the thought of an open PvP server to Guild Wars 2:
I love the idea of not knowing who or what may lie on the other side of that waypoint, whether the people at the dynamic event are going to be with me or against me and the small skirmishes that would break out between other groups, rival guilds, or players while I’m exploring the world. In my opinion this server type gives the game more depth and realism where people actually get to choose their friends and foes, whether to be the hero or the villain instead of the current format where we’re forced in to helping everyone around us (boring). The world design is absolutely amazing and there are probably loads of PvPers who are stuck in structured PvP and would probably never even step foot in the PvE environments simply because they don’t like the idea of only being able to PvE there. It’s such a waste. Not to mention it would serve as a bridge between WvW and sPvP where players can use tactics / skills they’ve acquired while fighting in the PvPvE environments if they fancy a zerg fest or something a little more competitive. I thought that was the whole idea behind the PvE zones from memory?

Continued …

Nomaq.3521

The only minor hurdle I see with this server-type is the extra development time required to handle the friendly fire in larger dynamic events. I still don’t think this is a strong enough reason to can the whole concept though. The solution is quite simple, they just need to implement more ways of avoiding friendly fire:

E.g.

You cannot attack players who are:

In your group
In your guild
In your guilds alliance
<insert another way to link groups of players at dynamic events>

I actually think this would make dynamic events a whole lot more fun, where you could potentially end up competing with another guild/alliance for that boss kill (you know that thing called a guild war). Or they may even end up helping you, which could lead to an alliance. The scenarios are endless which is why it would never become stale or boring. In the current state of the game you run in to a dynamic event and there is really no incentive to interact with other players, you band together, kill the boss, grab your loot and go. The players may as well be NPC’s… I understand many may enjoy this because every event feels “safe”, but please ArenaNet, there are other players to cater towards with little effort on your part being a company of your size and talent. I believe your game would be even more successful than it already is because of it…

I really hope they decide bring out a PvP server despite all the nay-sayers. Guild Wars claims to be a PvP focused game, yet even WoW has more PvP options. Why should the war between guilds not persist in the PvE environments anyway? The game is called Guild Wars after all. This server type has proven to be successful in other games, and those games are better for it.

My two cents.

beren.6048

Im not speaking against the idea, Im just saying it wont happen. Ganking has nothing to do with it, there is no money in it. You can keep wanting all you want, until you give a reason that pays, nobody will care.

You are talking entire code reversal and changes, world changes, lore changes, spell and weapon changes..all for what? 1-3 servers at best? with like…1k people? yeah…thats going to sell to the investors.

This I say also, except I say ganking has everything to do with it. Because of ganking people get bullied out of these servers. Not enough people enjoy being killed every minute by a level 80 top clan character being bored. So… not popular enough and so no return of investment and if they would implement such a thing on existing servers they will loose 80% of their population. GW1 didn’t have this mix either and sometimes it seems people really ended up in the wrong place; hating everything that makes guild wars guild wars.

(edited by beren.6048)

Posted by: Owyn.1382

Owyn.1382

There is no PvP server because it would require maintaining a separate code branch and the game was not designed around open-world-pvp.

Raging Bull.5048

This I say also, except I say ganking has everything to do with it. Because of ganking people get bullied out of these servers. Not enough people enjoy being killed every minute by a level 80 top clan character being bored. So… not popular enough and so no return of investment and if they would implement such a thing on existing servers they will loose 80% of their population. GW1 didn’t have this mix either and sometimes it seems people really ended up in the wrong place; hating everything that makes guild wars guild wars.

Yes, that’s why EVE Online failed. Right? It’s wonderful how you apply your own preferences as a general rule.

Ditton.3149

The only minor hurdle I see with this server-type is the extra development time required to handle the friendly fire in larger dynamic events. I still don’t think this is a strong enough reason to can the whole concept though. The solution is quite simple, they just need to implement more ways of avoiding friendly fire:

E.g.

You cannot attack players who are:

In your group
In your guild
In your guilds alliance
<insert another way to link groups of players at dynamic events>

I actually think this would make dynamic events a whole lot more fun, where you could potentially end up competing with another guild/alliance for that boss kill (you know that thing called a guild war). Or they may even end up helping you, which could lead to an alliance. The scenarios are endless which is why it would never become stale or boring. In the current state of the game you run in to a dynamic event and there is really no incentive to interact with other players, you band together, kill the boss, grab your loot and go. The players may as well be NPC’s… I understand many may enjoy this because every event feels “safe”, but please ArenaNet, there are other players to cater towards with little effort on your part being a company of your size and talent. I believe your game would be even more successful than it already is because of it…

I really hope they decide bring out a PvP server despite all the nay-sayers. Guild Wars claims to be a PvP focused game, yet even WoW has more PvP options. Why should the war between guilds not persist in the PvE environments anyway? The game is called Guild Wars after all. This server type has proven to be successful in other games, and those games are better for it.

My two cents.

What game..has been created without open pvp in its code and then changed to open pvp has been successful? Im just asking, because I dont know of any.

The idea is simple, the actual coding could take weeks..and they already have their programmers doing other things. Fixing bugs, doing events, balancing classes..what is their motivation to pay their staff to make a server for a very limited group of players?

(edited by Ditton.3149)

Posted by: EvoNeiko.8930

EvoNeiko.8930

I read this and i LOL i played wow and i played others i don’t like pvp much. and a Opvp on here would be fine but here’s my problem. i’m going around doing a heart and out of no where there this guy that just comes walking up and kills me. (Revives me) and kills me again. I Left wow cus of this Ganking. noob highlevels going to Low lvls just to prove How old they are. i love PVE and if i want to PVP i’ll go to WvWvW. happy witht that. LIKe others say on here. this GAME was MADE for Coop and the STORY. leave if you don’t like it

beren.6048

Yes, that’s why EVE Online failed. Right? It’s wonderful how you apply your own preferences as a general rule.

I don’t know, it has millions playing it? Imo (= in my opinion) their is not enough market for a PVP server, that is all. You can have it, I don’t care. Making existing servers PvP servers would be very bad for the GW2 population, many people I know hate PvP servers and the gank feast it brings. The WvW separation is much better, imo.

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Open World PvP never works though. Never. Not using any ruleset. Except for a very small market segment.

Show me a wildly successful open world pvp game?

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

I don’t get the opposition. It would be a seperate, new server (most likely set of server)

You wouldn’t be forced into it. You wouldn’t be required to play on any of the PvP servers.

So something that would not affect you in any way unless you choose to play on it and you’re like “nope, can’t have it, don’t want”

Anet make Rev great again.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Because Anet wants to promote player cooperation, not world PvP which encourages griefing. If you want PvP, try WvWvW. It’s a very large area. GW has always had designated PvP areas only.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Velg.3170

Velg.3170

Yeah, we wouldn’t be affected. Except they would have to:
- rebuild event system (‘cause most of event aren’t meant for open world PvP).
- redesign LA and its purpose to fit it in new, open worldly PvP situation – if lore would encourage some warfare, this community wouldn’t be possible, period. And possibly tune other cities to accomodate server populaces.
- possibly change something about personal story (‘cause lore would have to fit).
- prepare two versions of seasonal events – making sure the open world PvP wouldn’t get in line.
- etc.

And yeah, we wouldn’t be affected at all by designers attention swapping to PvP servers we don’t want and not to fixing some issues with game.

Posted by: Kruunch.3714

Kruunch.3714

I’d love an FFA PvP server.

Posted by: Zuggy.4501

Zuggy.4501

One of the major issues with open-world PvP is it would effectively break the dynamic event system. If you split the pvp down race lines none of the DE’s would ever get done. If you split it down the middle with some sort of arbitrary factions the smaller events would probably get finished, but once you ran into large popular DE’s like the world bosses they wouldn’t get done because you’re fighting both the dragon and the enemy faction. Even worse, by destroying the event system you make dungeons like CoF, CoE and Arah almost permanently inaccessible. The level of cooperation needed for DE’s is not conducive to open-world PvP unless they did it only in certain zones, but then we already have that in the form of WvW

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

A FFA PvP server would be awesome. Just make everyone who is not your race an enemy.

Let’s say you are in a Human in Human territory. You cannot attack other Humans. If a Char is in the area, you can attack him, but he can’t attack you until you attack first, or unless you flag yourself for pvp. If a Char meets an Asura in Human territory, it’s fair game.

The best part about open pvp isn’t ganking and getting ganked— it’s the element surprise. It’s variable and unpredictable. It’s the tension of knowing that you’re in contested territory and you need to be on your guard.

I think the biggest thing we are missing out on are the great settings which we could be battling in. I find myself staring at the set pieces in PvE, fantasizing about how cool it would be to actually fight people there.

As it stands, WvW is fun and sPvP is also a thing. The lack of FFA PvP wont keep me from playing, but the possibilities of it’s implementation could be fantastic.

Posted by: TheBob.9863

TheBob.9863

To be honest it would make dragon fights a lot more interesting and they would get done, it would just spark an intense 3way world battle PvPvE though I agree with the dungeon aspect

Ditton.3149

..there is no opposition. I have no problem with there being a ffa pvp server, Im just telling you why it isnt going to happen. You would need weeks to months of code changes and that is not free, so what is their incentive? You guys who want it are already playing the game, without new money, it wont happen because its too cost prohibitive at this point.

Why would there be dragon fights? if lore is changed and everyone is fighting everyone..why would the pact exist? if races contest one another..how are you going to get over there? all waypoints points would be closed off to you save your town or whatever..it would take hours of traveling just to reach somewhere to fight. Its a complete change of their engine and story..that server would be a complete scrap of all the code thus far..again, whats in it for them?

(edited by Ditton.3149)

Posted by: Velg.3170

Velg.3170

..there is no opposition. I have no problem with there being a ffa pvp server, Im just telling you why it isnt going to happen. You would need weeks to months of code changes and that is not free, so what is their incentive? You guys who want it are already playing the game, without new money, it wont happen because its too cost prohibitive at this point.

Why would there be dragon fights? if lore is changed and everyone is fighting everyone..why would the pact exist? if races contest one another..how are you going to get over there? all waypoints points would be closed off to you save your town or whatever..it would take hours of traveling just to reach somewhere to fight. Its a complete change of their engine and story..that server would be a complete scrap of all the code thus far..again, whats in it for them?

This – and mind that some ones already criticized them for putting some efforts on Halloween events over some other changes (changes in question depends on critizian). And ANet has got limited human resources committed to the developement of GW 2 – so if they would work on open world PvP, they wouldn’t have time for pretty much anything… at least if they actually planned to finish it soon.

And honestly, committing that resources to developing some other content would probably make much more people happy.

Posted by: Healingpistol.5829

Healingpistol.5829

I made similar thread some days ago, and most of the customers stated they don’t like open world PvP. I doubt we will ever see PvP server in this game.

There were times when games were played by gamers, now its all about the customers.

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

A: PvE was not designed with PvP in mind and was specifically designed to be extremely cooperative in general, which PvP would run directly counter to.

/thread

Posted by: Dware.4259

Dware.4259

GW2 is the most casual MMO i have ever played in my life.

casual = noob friendly

You cant even see peoples names in WvW for gods sake..lol

No PvP will ever come to this game, have to wait for next game.

Posted by: ExDead.3945

ExDead.3945

anyone on a pvp server most likely would not care at all about the pve, all they would have to do is make lvling in pvp viable. you still scale to whatever level an area is which would reduce ganking a LOT i would think. and can’t you level from wvwvw? so the pvp level code is already there.

Nomaq.3521

How can you claim everyone who wants PvP servers for this game are already playing? I have been asked on more than one occasion by friends/randoms as to whether or not there are PvP servers like in WoW, only to be disappointed and not give the game a chance. Before you claim there is no target market for this, please visit this page: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/status now count the PvP servers and tell me there isn’t an audience for this.

(edited by Nomaq.3521)

Posted by: Casca Longinus.3168

Casca Longinus.3168

Nomaq.3521 can you tell me what happend to mordred? the dicks on that server ruined it. No one ever wanted to help someone level, they just griefed them over and over and over with the phrase “welcome to mordred”. I loved and hated that server, and the dicks eventually killed it and returned to the blue servers. This game doesnt need Opvp, its called WvW, and before all you WoW kitten say i dont know what Opvp is, i played daoc for about 10 years.

Nomaq.3521

See: World of Warcraft.

Also because PvE exists on PvP servers too? Just because you can choose fight each other does not mean there aren’t guilds/parties/friends/allies that you can progress through PvE content with. When we say we want a FFA server it doesn’t mean literally FFA all the time, without exceptions everyone is your enemy, you’re all alone, kill or be killed. Have you ever played on a PvP server before?

People in this thread cry this game is made for COOP, and it should remain like that. Don’t you think PvP servers would encourage even more cooperation and organisation if anything? I don’t know about you but mindlessly running around like blind ants killing AI with people I’ll never talk to feels less cooperative than actually having to interact with people to achieve PvE objectives and avoid friendly fire.

What’s in it for ArenaNet? Only loads of players from every game that has PvP servers and who enjoy this play-style. For a few weeks of coding you say? Definitely worth it.

For many of us, PvP servers are a lot more fun and catering to this playerbase would be huge for Anet.

(edited by Nomaq.3521)

Nomaq.3521

Nomaq.3521 can you tell me what happend to mordred? the dicks on that server ruined it. No one ever wanted to help someone level, they just griefed them over and over and over with the phrase “welcome to mordred”. I loved and hated that server, and the dicks eventually killed it and returned to the blue servers. This game doesnt need Opvp, its called WvW, and before all you WoW kitten say i dont know what Opvp is, i played daoc for about 10 years.

This must have happened after I played the game. I’m sorry to hear that. At least in GW2 players are down-scaled to that area which might give them half a chance. With crowd control timers in this game being pretty low I imagine it wouldn’t be too hard to escape a higher level player with speed boosts etc until you’ve managed to make it to a safe area/found other players to come to your aid. I don’t see the ganking as much of a problem in GW2 as it has been for previous titles to be honest. If anything, form a guild, form a group, play with friends, you know cooperatively (lol) work together to bring down the griefers.

(edited by Nomaq.3521)

Ditton.3149

WoW was built with a certain level of PvP within it, this game was not. You would have to rebuild the engine and would take many hours of code for a gamble at best, no ffa pvp game has lasted..WoW was not ffa pvp, it was “combat zone” pvp and this game doesnt have that ability. You guys talk like this is nothing and a sure thing..well then why is this not more populated then? There’s more people talking about how they hate the halloween kids than this topic. So what makes you think it would last? where are your numbers?

and no, it would not make people more organized, its going to break down into sparse teams of a few people hunting down others across 6 world maps with only about 500 people in it. It will be a ghost town without waypoints.

You’re speculating and giving no fact and no precedent. You want them to completely rebuild their game for a handful of people, id be amazed if it happened.

would you guys be willing to pay for it? pay a sub every month for that server? I think that would work, that way they could hire new designers and developers for your server.

(edited by Ditton.3149)

Ditton.3149

This must have happened after I played the game. I’m sorry to hear that. At least in GW2 players are down-scaled to that area which might give them half a chance. With crowd control timers in this game being pretty low I imagine it wouldn’t be too hard to escape a higher level player with speed boosts etc until you’ve managed to make it to a safe area/found other players to come to your aid. I don’t see the ganking as much of a problem in GW2 as it has been for previous titles to be honest. If anything, form a guild, form a group, play with friends, you know cooperatively (lol) work together to bring down the griefers.

The problem is nobody wants to be the “good guy” in a ffa pvp server, they just want to hide behind being evil and kill whoever they want without reciprocity.

Nomaq.3521

WoW was built with a certain level of PvP within it, this game was not. You would have to rebuild the engine and would take many hours of code for a gamble at best, no ffa pvp game has lasted..WoW was not ffa pvp, it was “combat zone” pvp and this game doesnt have that ability. You guys talk like this is nothing and a sure thing..well then why is this not more populated then? There’s more people talking about how they hate the halloween kids than this topic. So what makes you think it would last? where are your numbers?

and no, it would not make people more organized, its going to break down into sparse teams of a few people hunting down others across 6 world maps with only about 500 people in it. It will be a ghost town without waypoints.

You’re speculating and giving no fact and no precedent. You want them to completely rebuild their game for a handful of people, id be amazed if it happened.

And you’re speculating that it would be a ghost town, and that an engine that was built with it’s focus on PvP couldn’t easily be adapted to this? I don’t believe it would be a ghost town at all. Sure WoW is split up in to contested PvP areas but I’m not asking for that, how ANet decides to implement it is up to them. I was just using WoW as an example to prove that PvP servers are extremely popular which is why there are so many of them, and not only in WoW either. This server-type has been requested and supported beyond this thread, on this forum and others for Guild Wars 2 and many other games. Without a doubt the carebears are going to out-weigh the players who enjoy this server type which is why there is more people against it than for it on the forums. We may be in the minority but there are still enough of us out there to populate the PvP servers I guarantee it. (Again see WoW PvP servers) I haven’t played swtor so I don’t know how this game works, but it looks like they have PvP servers too which are high in population. Remember GW2 is built to attract pvpers, if that’s their target market then it only makes sense don’t you think?

Nomaq.3521

The problem is nobody wants to be the “good guy” in a ffa pvp server, they just want to hide behind being evil and kill whoever they want without reciprocity.

Speculation. Not from my experience, and I’ve played on PvP servers for many years in multiple games.

Posted by: zippo burntfur.9307

zippo burntfur.9307

I’m not a fan of open world pvp, but if they want a open world pvp server. I’d say give it to them. It won’t hurt any of us that don’t like it, and there would be less complaining, imo of course.

“We don’t need to make gear treadmills”
Colin Johanson on how arenanet measures success

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

ROFL at the people saying others here are “whining” that the game was built for co-op and can’t do PvP.

People are saying that because it’s objective fact. ArenaNet built PvE to be extremely cooperative, above and beyond that of most MMORPG PvE.

The reason that means that PvP is not viable to just “drop in” or something is not because people here think it’s a bad idea, but because the game was not designed with it in mind which means it would take a monumental re-development effort to change it.

It’s not about whether or not PvEers like the idea, it’s a matter of development resources. You can’t just randomly drop PvP into a the PvE portion of a game that was never designed to have it.

It might come as a surprise to non-programmers, but the fact that PvE was built from the start to be extremely cooperative means that it would take massive amounts of work to change. There’s no Magical Game Making Fairy that can just wave a magic wand and suddenly the game has PvP in the PvE zones. It just doesn’t work like that.

Posted by: Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

I don’t agree that this game should have open world pvp…doesnt fit the lore. I do however agree that all games that have open world pvp should have this games downscaling system.

Ditton.3149

And you’re speculating that it would be a ghost town, and that an engine that was built with it’s focus on PvP couldn’t easily be adapted to this? I don’t believe it would be a ghost town at all. Sure WoW is split up in to contested PvP areas but I’m not asking for that, how ANet decides to implement it is up to them. I was just using WoW as an example to prove that PvP servers are extremely popular which is why there are so many of them, and not only in WoW either. This server-type has been requested and supported beyond this thread, on this forum and others for Guild Wars 2 and many other games. Without a doubt the carebears are going to out-weigh the players who enjoy this server type which is why there is more people against it than for it on the forums. We may be in the minority but there are still enough of us out there to populate the PvP servers I guarantee it. (Again see WoW PvP servers) I haven’t played swtor so I don’t know how this game works, but it looks like they have PvP servers too which are high in population. Remember GW2 is built to attract pvpers, if that’s their target market then it only makes sense don’t you think?

You keep dodging the question. Ive played true ffa pvp games like shadowbane, UO, daoc, darkfall…Ive ran nations, destroyed “evil” guilds and shattered “gankers” to the wind. Im not against ffa pvp, Im being a devils advocate. This game was built for a specific kind of pvp, you want pvp in their open world that isnt built for it. That would mean adding lines of code to every single event, npc and action in the game. This game isnt built to attract pvpers, its built to attract casual players, if it WAS built to attract pvpers..there would be hardly any leveling, open ffa pvp would have been created from the start and the story would have been much more ambiguous. So I will ask again, why would they invest that much time and effort into it? If they already took it into consideration and decided against it at the creation of this game as is evident in their design, then why would they do it now? They obviously dont think that there is enough money in it for them. So would you pay for it? Would you pay a separate sub for the game so that they wouldnt lose development in the pve game?