Why isn't it free to respec traits?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: souldonkey.9534

souldonkey.9534

You just explained why respecing costs (including travel to town) is limiting your choices, therefore contradicting your previous post.

Why only 2 free builds and not 3 free builds? Or 4?

I can’t believe people would argue against having the freedom to swap between builds with ease and convenience.

No I didn’t. I never said I felt that having the ability to have 2 saved builds was necessary. I said it would be convenient to have 2 builds. And as for why not 3 or 4, simply because 2 would be good for solo play or group play. Those 2 seem to be the only things that would benefit from different builds (since your build in PvP is already different).

As it is now, I can easily fulfill both roles by simply swapping to different utility skills and different weapons. Example:

While solo play on my warrior I run with mostly signets in my utility slots and GS/rifle weapon set. Maximize my DPS and my self buffs. When I do a dungeon I bring mostly Banners to help my team and my weapon set changes to mace/shield and longbow for the AoE. It’s very effective as is and I don’t think it needs to be changed by any means. It would just be convenient to have 2 builds and I wouldn’t be bothered by that change. If they made re-specs free or gave us the ability to have infinite builds, that would bug me because it would make the trait decisions you make worthless.

As it is now, I trait for a combination of damage (solo play) and support (group play). I like this as it promotes diversity instead of min/maxing. Adding the ability to have a second build would hurt this a bit and I understand that, but if you were limited to 2 builds and had to pay to re-spec either of them the decisions you made would still have to be carefully thought out.

Posted by: ZannX.4058

ZannX.4058

The cost is not the issue for me, it’s the fact that I have to physically visit a trainer.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I understand gold sinks. But re-traiting shouldn’t be one of them. GW1 originally had a sort of XP currency to re-spec attributes, but Anet eventually realized that this was counter to the theme of the game: creating strategic & unique builds not gear grinding. So they got rid of it. GW2 is the same way. i think eventually retraiting will be free, but not until Anet adds more skills and improves upon the existing trait system. As it is, traits don’t add the flair that GW1 had with its buils system. When it does, and people are retraiting more often, they’ll make it free.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

souldonkey.9534

I understand gold sinks. But re-traiting shouldn’t be one of them. GW1 originally had a sort of XP currency to re-spec attributes, but Anet eventually realized that this was counter to the theme of the game: creating strategic & unique builds not gear grinding. So they got rid of it. GW2 is the same way. i think eventually retraiting will be free, but not until Anet adds more skills and improves upon the existing trait system. As it is, traits don’t add the flair that GW1 had with its buils system. When it does, and people are retraiting more often, they’ll make it free.

We covered this on the first page. In case you missed it:

“This. Is. Not. Guild. Wars. One.”

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

And yet GW2’s design is similar enough to GW1 to mention. Both games are designed around the premise that gear isn’t the important thing, the build is. If creating strategic builds and changing it up to support the situation is what’s important, then playersr should have the ability to freely do that. After all, there is no holy trinity here, so each player can spec very differently to support, deal dmg, etc depending on the situation. No monk rocking a straight heal build anymore that can be used in all groups. Now we can bring a support ranger or a condition ranger or a sniper ranger…all of which require retraiting.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

souldonkey.9534

And yet GW2’s design is similar enough to GW1 to mention. Both games are designed around the premise that gear isn’t the important thing, the build is. If creating strategic builds and changing it up to support the situation is what’s important, then playersr should have the ability to freely do that. After all, there is no holy trinity here, so each player can spec very differently to support, deal dmg, etc depending on the situation. No monk rocking a straight heal build anymore that can be used in all groups. Now we can bring a support ranger or a condition ranger or a sniper ranger…*all of which require retraiting. *

Not if you spec right they don’t. If you spread out your traits a bit you can very viably perform any of those roles with one build. I’m not arguing that having multiple builds available to you wouldn’t be convenient, it would. But it would also devalue the uniqueness of an individuals build and devalue the effort it takes to learn what the best build for your play style is.

Posted by: Chris.7653

Chris.7653

You just explained why respecing costs (including travel to town) is limiting your choices, therefore contradicting your previous post.

I can’t believe people would argue against having the freedom to swap between builds with ease and convenience.

Ok for one…ANet can’t just give you everything, lets just get that out of the way now.

You can’t just have it to where you can swap with no penalty…it devalues a players roll and how they have built their character.

I think have 2 or 3 builds saved up would be the absolute worst idea you could possibly do.

I vote for ANet to keep it as is.

souldonkey.9534

Ok for one…ANet can’t just give you everything, lets just get that out of the way now.

You can’t just have it to where you can swap with no penalty…it devalues a players roll and how they have built their character.

I think have 2 or 3 builds saved up would be the absolute worst idea you could possibly do.

I vote for ANet to keep it as is.

Reading your comment just made me re-read mine (I’m not the one you quoted, but am the one he quoted) and I realized I left something out. I think having 2 specs that you can save would be a good idea, but I think there should still be a fee to swap them. Something maybe little less than the current re-spec fee (though if it stayed the same that wouldn’t be unreasonable either) since you’ll be likely swapping specs more than re-specing all together.

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

It is basically free. You kill some mobs and/or otherwise play the game, get some coin, buy the respec. Done.

Why do people cry about playing the game? /boggle

Posted by: Silver Chopper.4506

Silver Chopper.4506

I don’t see any crying in this post. I only see people disagreeing with the current respec mechanics. With some good reasons.
If these things are not challenged they won’t be improved upon.

Don’t you remember the whole potions fiasco before the game launched. Anet was pretty adamant the potions were really needed to pace the combat in pve, but then they realized it wasn’t the best system (amen to that). I’m pretty sure that if potions hadn’t received such a backlash we’d probably still have them in-game right now.