Why "kitten" as the bleeper?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Robert Andrews.7168

Robert Andrews.7168

Now I know, some people have a tendency to get foul. And yes, we do have some younger players who may read these forums. But I have to ask, why do you think “kitten” was chosen to bleep out the words?

Not complaining, really. In fact, the way kitten pops in now and then actually makes the sentence quite funny.

So… any clue anyone? Or any particular reason Anet people?

Oh for the love of little green tomatoes…

Posted by: Yata.8932

Yata.8932

Good question, I wonder if there is a running joke that made them use ‘kitten?’ Or maybe they chose it because kittens are cute and harmless. Idk

Posted by: AVHero.7382

AVHero.7382

Why not?

You are asking the wrong question, my friend.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Probably because it’s funny.

In my experience (specifically my experience creating/modding forums) you’ve basically got 3 options with a word filter:
1) change it to a polite/technical term. For example the S word becomes ‘excrement’
2) change it to [Censored] or some variation on that
3) change it to something funny

The 3rd one IMO has a big bonus over the other two because the fact that it can be amusing makes it far less likely that members will be offended by having their posts censored. It also tends to take the wind out of ranting or trolling posts by making them sound rediculous, which again leads to less hurt/offended members.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Regina Buenaobra

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

Next

Kittens are cute. Even the most hardened internet denizen has a soft spot for kittens. :-p

The filter words in the German, French, and Spanish official forums are different.

• In German, the word is “Liebsche” (a term of endearment roughly equivalent to ‘honey’)
  • In French, it is “papillon” (butterfly)
  • In Spanish, it is “minino” (the more harmless form of the word ‘kitten’ in Spanish)

The goal for these filter words is to diffuse the abrasiveness and take the bite out of posts containing profanity.

Content Marketing Lead
Twitter: @ArenaNet, @GuildWars2
In-Game Name: Cm Regina Buenaobra

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

@Regina, I know I should probably post this in the forums bugs section, but I thought maybe you’d see it here anyway.

Currently, when the forums censor a word and replace it with “kitten” it doesn’t preserve the space before the word, so stuff like:

This is [badword]!

becomes

This iskitten!

Just a minor annoyance.

Edit: Just so it’s 100% clear, I didn’t use any expletives in my post, every instance of “kitten” in this post was written that way to begin with.

Posted by: Dgenerate.1948

Dgenerate.1948

I was wondering why I was being called a “kitten” for my honest opinion.

Arenanet, I challenge you to impress me.
I say it like it is.

Posted by: Apotheosis.3786

Apotheosis.3786

I have personally started saying bull kitten in real life instead of well the standard way.

Posted by: LastDay.3524

LastDay.3524

When I first saw it I instantly thought of Charr cubs.

Benight[Edge]

Posted by: Ahwoo.8029

Ahwoo.8029

I think it’s hilarious, and well done.

Posted by: Think.8042

Think.8042

Regina, small word from a german native speaker: “Liebsche” is not a word in our language. What you’re probably talking about is Liebchen – I dunno if that word was spelt wrong when the forums were set up, or whether it’s intended to be like that, but I can tell you the word filter wreaks havoc on a lot of german words that are completely harmless just because they contain some letters that slightly resemble (after replacing some letters like k→c) a bad word in english.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Diego “Godot” Armando approves of this.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I laugh every time I see it !
I have started typing kitten on forums and saying it in RL-
kudo’s ArenaNet!

Gunnar’s Hold

Previous

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

Next

Regina, small word from a german native speaker: “Liebsche” is not a word in our language. What you’re probably talking about is Liebchen – I dunno if that word was spelt wrong when the forums were set up, or whether it’s intended to be like that, but I can tell you the word filter wreaks havoc on a lot of german words that are completely harmless just because they contain some letters that slightly resemble (after replacing some letters like k->c) a bad word in english.

Martin (German Community Manager and ArenaNet Head of Community) told me this: ‘Liebchen’ is the “regular” German form, ‘Liebsche’ is “Mundart” (dialect).

:)

Content Marketing Lead

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

I’ve started using it in my day-to-day life, since I work with the public and lapsing into profanity is frowned upon. Anet may have inadvertently started a language trend.

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

I love the use if the word kitten to replace profanity
i kitten love that kitten

Posted by: Think.8042

Think.8042

Point taken – I’d like to suggest Schätzelein for the next time

Still doesn’t really fix the general problem of the filter (or it’s normalization algorithms) for german words – even ingame chat links to items and locations are affected and effectively censored (but forum URLs are not).

Posted by: Cazliostro.7140

Cazliostro.7140

Well – the kitten devs can kitten shove their kittens up their kittens for all I kitten care – kitten this kitten if you think I’m letting a bunch of kitten kitten kittens ruin my kitten kitten rants!

…just kitten.

Posted by: Piccolo.7296

Piccolo.7296

So you know what would be epic? If you say a bad word in game, it automatically filters it with the word Kitten.

Posted by: Tsaritsin.5364

Tsaritsin.5364

So if Jay ‘double it’ Wilson worked for Anet he would of said -

“Kitten that loser”

Not quite got the same ‘sting’ to it, but kinda works.

I shall not be there, I shall rise and pass,
Bury my heart at Wounded Knee.

Posted by: tapewormlondon.4390

tapewormlondon.4390

HAHA – I saw the word being bandied around all over the forums, and had no idea why everyone was using it. I thought it was some sort of internet slang specific to MMOs……I even Googled it.

Well I will just sit here feeling like a kitten

Posted by: melkathi.5203

melkathi.5203

Martin (German Community Manager and ArenaNet Head of Community) told me this: ‘Liebchen’ is the “regular” German form, ‘Liebsche’ is “Mundart” (dialect).

I recognise it as dialect, but I do not understand why you would want to use dialect instead of propper Hochdeutsch? I would find it alienating to have some southern dialect in my posting.

Posted by: Kailthir.6384

Kailthir.6384

I would of used puppies… Everyone loves puppies… except satalite. They hate puppies.

Posted by: Elydian.1763

Elydian.1763

“In Spanish, it is “minino” (the more harmless form of the word ‘kitten’ in Spanish)”

There’s a harmful word for kitten in Spanish?

Posted by: melkathi.5203

melkathi.5203

Probably words that could have a double meaning with references to female genitalia or something :P

Posted by: Kailthir.6384

Kailthir.6384

“In Spanish, it is “minino” (the more harmless form of the word ‘kitten’ in Spanish)”

Depends on which spanish dialect you are refering to. Not all have the same meaning. For instance in cuban spanish papaya: No1. papaya Noun The Cuban word for female genitalia.

I think there might be a more offensive word in spanish for the kittencat. Every language has it’s dual words that are normal and vulgar depending on the way they are used.

Dam “kitten” wasn’t even a swear. Anyways you get the point

(edited by Kailthir.6384)

Posted by: Tito.3270

Tito.3270

Regina, small word from a german native speaker: “Liebsche” is not a word in our language. What you’re probably talking about is Liebchen – I dunno if that word was spelt wrong when the forums were set up, or whether it’s intended to be like that, but I can tell you the word filter wreaks havoc on a lot of german words that are completely harmless just because they contain some letters that slightly resemble (after replacing some letters like k->c) a bad word in english.

As someone who has studied german and knows about the different dialects, liebsche is only known in very specific regions, most german speaking people haven’t heard that word ever before, you could also put some chinese or japanese symbols there instead.

Posted by: atticus.2897

atticus.2897

Just as another little bug report, if the title is censored, the URL isn’t :P

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

It is Liebsche in German??? Man, that is hilarious (if it is really the case). Well, it means something like honey, but I assure the connotations are really a version of honey being voiced by a tipsy man from the cologne area for most germans.

Posted by: Schakal.6091

Schakal.6091

Yeeeaaah. “Liebsche” most likely points to the Rhineland, specifically Cologne. A Hessian/Rhine Hessian origin is possible as well but it’s not common. To people from other German-speaking areas it will likely just seem bizarre.

The proper form “Liebchen” is not really used in common parlance in Germany these days either. Moreover, replacing a verb or adjective you deemed offensive with Liebsche will come out far more awkward and jarring than replacing an English verb or adjective with kitten.

Never mind that it’s far from the cuteness factor of “kitten”.

The internet is for Norn

Posted by: VakarisJ.5619

VakarisJ.5619

Using euphemisms won’t take out the bite out of anything – the result is the same, the context is the same. Words are just sequences of sounds, it’s our brain that gives those meaningless sounds “color”. If you think that some word is bad, profane, you might want to look into how perverted your own mind is. Overtime, maybe people will realize this, but currently – this is kittened up.

(edited by VakarisJ.5619)

Posted by: Fox.1054

Fox.1054

The cutest thing around has to be a motherkitten.

Posted by: Osborn.4891

Osborn.4891

Using euphemisms won’t take out the bite out of anything – the result is the same, the context is the same. Words are just sequences of sounds, it’s our brain that gives those meaningless sounds “color”. If you think that some word is bad, profane, you might want to look into how perverted your own mind is. Overtime, maybe people will realize this, but currently – this is kittened up.

this is not euphemism…. ?

Posted by: Jello.1689

Jello.1689

Kittens are cute. Even the most hardened internet denizen has a soft spot for kittens. :-p

The filter words in the German, French, and Spanish official forums are different.

• In German, the word is “Liebsche” (a term of endearment roughly equivalent to ‘honey’)
  • In French, it is “papillon” (butterfly)
  • In Spanish, it is “minino” (the more harmless form of the word ‘kitten’ in Spanish)

The goal for these filter words is to diffuse the abrasiveness and take the bite out of posts containing profanity.

Regina I disagree!! I for one find kittens, and their full grown counterparts “cats” repulsive and evil!

Name another animal that stalks humans as if we were no better than the mouse they would normally pray on in the wild? What is the most common animal to be found on your face attempting to murder you while you sleep? Survey says, a freaking CAT! They make me itch, sneeze, and make my eyes water, clearly all clever ways of slowing me debilitating me to a point of attack!

These cat videos on the internet, yeah just propaganda from the cat overlords used to brain wash the masses! Everyone is worried about terrorism, disease, and economical crisis I however keep my eye on the cats!

Clearly Regina you are either one of the blinded who foolishly fell to the cats plan or you are a under cover representative for the cause of cats. I for one will be watching your kitten.

Good day!

VakarisJ.5619

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphemism
A euphemism is a generally harmless word, name, or phrase that replaces an offensive or suggestive one.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I though it was some meme I was missing out on. Didn’t realize it was the profanity filter.

Posted by: Tlu.4269

Tlu.4269

So, if I’m understanding you correctly, you’re saying that since we humans are already perverted, we should just avoid trying to clean up our speech?

And that is a scientific fact!

Posted by: LittleZoe.4970

LittleZoe.4970

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphemism
A euphemism is a generally harmless word, name, or phrase that replaces an offensive or suggestive one.

An offensive word will remain offensive, no matter if you look at it innocently.

On the other hand, a kitten will always be kitten.

Zoe Clawstorm – Norn Necromancer

Posted by: Tallenn.9218

Tallenn.9218

“smurf” was already taken.

Posted by: darkwombat.3695

darkwombat.3695

this is bull kitten

Posted by: Irkm Desmet.3928

Irkm Desmet.3928

As a native German speaker i must add that i find the use of ‘Liebsche’ just bizarre.
Why would you use a word which looks to most germans like some mispelling of another word.

Not to mention that Liebsche looked to me like a mispelling of Liebste. Wich is clearly female. Replacing swear words with an female endearment struck me as somewhat tasteless. Mispelled or not.

Why not use something like kitten in german. Häschen could be appropriate.

Oh and by the way, could you add a way to disable this filter if i’m logged in? I find word filters annoying because they often twist the meaning of sentences.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Let us choose our own filtered words based on a list lol.

I wanna see “pudding” everywhere.

Posted by: Gauradan.8361

Gauradan.8361

Fortunately, I know enough synonyms for the profanity words that are filtered by the system. Thank you, Witcher 2 and A Song of Ice and Fire! -cackles maniacally-

Aed f’haeil moen Hirjeth taenverde.

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

I had recognized that “kitten” was being used as a placeholder for swearword in the forums – I first thought users had somehow decided on that themselves
Anyway, I immediately adopted that to not-swear when I want to make apoint ^^

Btw: I propose “Haasi” or “Schatzi” as surrogate swearwords in German (It’s what I tend to use when swearing while driving XD)

Polka will never die

Posted by: zerospin.8604

zerospin.8604

You know, this can also backfire, someone may innocently say he’s playing with his kitten right now, and people will think he’s obscene :P

Posted by: Ten.8421

Ten.8421

I find the German choice weird too. Why not simply Kätzchen? Schnuckel? Haasi would be funny. But eh, it’s just a word replacement. Maybe Martin is from that region.

Gamut Gaming Group [GGG], an inclusive non-oppression, non-prejudice, non-normativity group.

Previous

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

If you have a better suggestion for German, please let Martin know on the German forums. If you have a better suggestion for Spanish, please let David know on the Spanish forums. I’m out of my depth here.

Content Marketing Lead

Posted by: tiennen.6890

tiennen.6890

but…..you’re REGINA!

brown nosing aside, I didnt even notice the filter, just figured that people were throwing around some meme that I didn’t know about.

VakarisJ.5619

So, if I’m understanding you correctly, you’re saying that since we humans are already perverted, we should just avoid trying to clean up our speech?

I’m saying that people that are perverted enough to take offence at sequences of sounds shouldn’t be catered for. Yet we see the opposite all over and that’s perverting the perversion even more – teaching people to shun what they shouldn’t be bothered by.

Using euphemisms isn’t cleaning up speech, it’s just temporarily hiding the truth from the shortsighted.

An offensive word will remain offensive, no matter if you look at it innocently. 

On the other hand, a kitten will always be kitten.

That’s why I began using “kitten” instead of “offensive words” here on the forums. With time, I suspect, the sound sequence “kitten” will instantly invoke the same reaction as motherF. No matter which word we use, if we tie it to a negative situation it will gain a negative meaning, even kittens are not absolved from this.

(edited by VakarisJ.5619)

Posted by: LittleZoe.4970

LittleZoe.4970

That’s why I began using “kitten” instead of “offensive words” here on the forums. With time, I suspect, the sound sequence “kitten” will instantly invoke the same reaction as motherF. No matter which word we use, if we tie it to a negative situation it will gain a negative meaning, even kittens are not absolved from this.

Doubt it. You just see too much into it.

Zoe Clawstorm – Norn Necromancer