Why no Achiev for max lvling every class?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: raynemaker.2731

raynemaker.2731

There are achievements and titles in every corner of the game, but none for max leveling every profession to 80. Am I the only one that would like to see this added? It takes quite a bit of time and effort for most people… more so that a lot of the achievements and titles currently.

Who else has achieved or is close to achieving this? Do you think you should be rewarded for doing so, just as a person is rewarded for being a master crafter or dungeon master?

Posted by: Mist.6217

Mist.6217

The only issue with that is it would ‘force’ people to buy character slots they might not really want to get just to get those extra points.

Posted by: Achrisos.1360

Achrisos.1360

Even worse than this is the awesome amount of achievement points u get for making a legendary……

raynemaker.2731

I understand where you are coming from Mist, however, it is not forced upon you to do this achievement or get that title (if it were to exist). It’s not like the achievement points would be so monumental that you had to have them… and the title is mainly for the people who want to go for that anyway. Also, you would not have to spend a dime of real money for a character slot anyway because gems can be purchased solely from in game gold.

I see this addition as an opportunity for people to have that extra push to get their last characters to 80 after the long roads of leveling all of the others, it gets quite tedious going through the same deal 8 times and have no proof to show in game. I believe it is an achievement to get to this point, just as any other achievement that takes less time/effort to accomplish.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

No one is forced to make a legendary and no one is forced to make 8 characters to 80, its a choice.

I agree with the OP why was no achievement and title made for this?

Posted by: banana.9038

banana.9038

I have every class at 80. Come on “Altoholic” title!

Would make sense to have achievements for this. There are already achievements for doing personal story on different characters/joining different orders, but those are completed in the 30s or so. Similar to how you get achievement points for crafting every 50 points, it would be nice to have achievement points for every 10 or 20 levels on each class.

Posted by: VitisVinifera.2834

VitisVinifera.2834

I’m not a fan of any achievement you MUST pay money for first

that’s a big conflict of interest and would be pretty distasteful

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

uh huh….. cut it down to only requiring 5 classes, and you might be onto something…

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

Because contrary to popular belief, grinding 8 characters to 80 is not a achievement. Achievements by definition are suppose to be skill based not time based

achievements plural of a·chieve·ment (Noun)
Noun
A thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill.
The process or fact of achieving something.
Synonyms
feat

…… but then again, this is Guild Wars 2. How many skill based achievements are actually in this game? Seems you might get your title/achievement after all.

I bought something off of every vendor… that should be a achievement!

Posted by: Fringilla Vigo.8594

Fringilla Vigo.8594

First of all – you don’t have to pay real money for it – at all. You may exchange in-game gold for gems then buy character slots. At the moment 1 slot is around 30 gold.

If you mean by paying money for it in-game money, take legendary achievements and wardrobe achievements, mini pet achievements – they require WAY more money to accomplish – this way or another.

Having said that, why on earth you get rewarded for something that is relatively simple (all crafting professions maxed out) and not rewarded for something that requires more work and is kind of similar achievement?
on the top of that, it will encourage players to actually repeat all of the content to the degree, which may (or may not) result in quiet maps getting a bit busier. What would be wrong with that?

Fringilla Vigo.8594

Because contrary to popular belief, grinding 8 characters to 80 is not a achievement. Achievements by definition are suppose to be skill based not time based

Yes, especially wardrobe and mini-pet ones require a lot of skill.
or WvW maybe? they aren’t time based at all…
Let me think.. oh, all of the killer ones and weapon master… yes, they do require a lot of skill. If you count patience and being stubborn as a skill.
I may continue, but i think you get my point.

Game terminology doesn’t necessary match real terminology.

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

No, sadly it doesn’t. That is why 98% of all the achievements in this game are carebear achievements. I am surprised we don’t get achievements points for taking 100,000 steps.

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

Because the achievement should be:

80 of each profession, per race, per gender.

lol. jk.

This achievement (the one described by OP) would be great.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

Not a bad suggestion.
I need more incentive to get the last 3 classes to 80. I try to get motivated but sometimes it’s just hard to talk myself into moving into those mid level zones devoid of players.
Besides it can be done by purchasing slots with gold→gem conversion. A small tier reward of 5pts per class. would add up nicely. And everyone has the opportunity to get at least 5 classes to 80 for free.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Fringilla Vigo.8594

No, sadly it doesn’t. That is why 98% of all the achievements in this game are carebear achievements. I am surprised we don’t get achievements points for taking 100,000 steps.

That was exactly my point :-) Whether we like it or not, game achievements don’t have much to do with a the real meaning of the word.
But there are some exceptions. I would say that gauntlet achievements are the perfect example of skill based ones. You actually need to accomplish something to get it.

But… there’s another thing. It all really depends whether were having achievements for purely cosmetic reasons (like it used to be) or were having them as something that has real value (like it is now). Then time investment vs number of AP starts to be important – and this is where Anet fails big time. (check wvw vs some of the living story ones)
And 1 more thing. Since they reward some of the accomplishments with the title, I think that 8×80 deserves it way more than 8 crafting professions maxed that gives you a title and (as far as I remember) 320 AP.

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

I guess you’re advocating for the removal of most of the achievements in the game, then?

Mist.6217

I understand where you are coming from Mist, however, it is not forced upon you to do this achievement or get that title (if it were to exist). It’s not like the achievement points would be so monumental that you had to have them… and the title is mainly for the people who want to go for that anyway. Also, you would not have to spend a dime of real money for a character slot anyway because gems can be purchased solely from in game gold.

I see this addition as an opportunity for people to have that extra push to get their last characters to 80 after the long roads of leveling all of the others, it gets quite tedious going through the same deal 8 times and have no proof to show in game. I believe it is an achievement to get to this point, just as any other achievement that takes less time/effort to accomplish.

Because I didn’t state it in my first post, sorry bout that, I think it would be nice if there were something for maxing every class. I think however that those that didn’t want that many characters would complain, similar to those that prefer one character vs multiple characters for completing anything because people will complain solely for complaining sometimes.

Fringilla Vigo.8594

Because I didn’t state it in my first post, sorry bout that, I think it would be nice if there were something for maxing every class. I think however that those that didn’t want that many characters would complain, similar to those that prefer one character vs multiple characters for completing anything because people will complain solely for complaining sometimes.

Based on that you may complain at leveling crafting that you dont want for AP, buying unwanted minis and cultural gear, spending karma on futile drinks etc, etc…
If someone don’t care about AP at all, he wouldn’t do any of unwanted things.
If someone is desperate about AP, he would do all of the things, no matter how silly, pointless or stupid.

So why have some of these things (maxing craft) and some not (maxing professions)?

Mist.6217

Based on that you may complain at leveling crafting that you dont want for AP, buying unwanted minis and cultural gear, spending karma on futile drinks etc, etc…
If someone don’t care about AP at all, he wouldn’t do any of unwanted things.
If someone is desperate about AP, he would do all of the things, no matter how silly, pointless or stupid.

So why have some of these things (maxing craft) and some not (maxing professions)?

There is no point in not having them other than some would see it as they were’ forced’ to buy gems, be it with cash or gold. Some people are completionist and would do all that just to get it done and some are achievement completionist that would only do it if there was an achievement for doing.

As I said in my last post it would be nice to have but I can see where others might complain about it being added.

To your question maxing every craft does not cost as much as buying three extra character slots and maxing all eight professions.

Fringilla Vigo.8594

As I said in my last post it would be nice to have but I can see where others might complain about it being added.

To your question maxing every craft does not cost as much as buying three extra character slots and maxing all eight professions.

Those “others” may complain about anything really. For instance time limited achievements. Or not AP rewarding enough (like legendaries). Or too much rewarding (like bumped GW1 retro achievements). So that’s Irrelevant.

As for the cost? At the moment around 90 gold. As I said before – Wardrobe achievements costs way more, if you are completionist. And that isn’t a problem but 3 extra slots would be? I really don’t see any issue here.
And I think we should apply same rules for all of the achievements.

Mist.6217

Those “others” may complain about anything really. For instance time limited achievements. Or not AP rewarding enough (like legendaries). Or too much rewarding (like bumped GW1 retro achievements). So that’s Irrelevant.
As for the cost? At the moment around 90 gold. As I said before – Wardrobe achievements costs way more, if you are completionist. And that isn’t a problem but 3 extra slots would be? I really don’t see any issue here.
And I think we should apply same rules for all of the achievements.

You seem to have misunderstood that I am not saying it shouldn’t happen. Again it would be nice.

I am not arguing against the idea, it is a good one, I am simply showing the other side of the coin also complaints are only irrelevant if they hold no merit which someone claiming this would ‘force’ them to buy something they didn’t really want just to get AP does have a touch of merit to it.

Being a completionist the person A would most likely already have the character slots BUT if person B only cared to get the AP without worrying about everything they most likely would not, and more so probably focused solely on one character to do everything minus the personal story achievements.

raynemaker.2731

I’m loving the discussion going on here guys. People have brought up some good points. From what I gather, there has not been an agreeable reason why not to add this. Some other achievements also require gems spent, and many other achievements take far less effort and time.

I personally am about 30 lvls on one profession from achieving this, and those last 30 lvls have become a brick wall after leveling all the other 7. It has been no easy ride, and I would love that extra push to get me to the end. Some people have stated its not something that is particularly hard to do, but I believe the time and patience required running through the same content most of the time alone in certain zones and playing a class that isn’t necessarily your favorite is worthy if walking up to a vendor and buying some cultural armor is worth it. The first 5 toons was a breeze and for fun, after those you have to be pushing for a goal to keep going. Learning every profession, gearing every profession, refining your build for every profession, etc… is not a walk around Lions Arch for most. Don’t get me wrong, I know there are probably some that had gobs of gold and nothing better to do with it than craft every profession to the top and slap endgame gear on them that they had just lying around, but that can be said for most things in the game and people with obscene amounts of gold.

I do agree that gw2 has fallen short of what a true achievement really is, as most current mmo’s have. Leveling a character to max level for instance is a breeze as compared to say EQ, especially with the crafting shortcut available that of course would be used because people want the most efficient way to the end and that is just logical. But it is designed in a way that attracts a wide number of people… Not many people now a days want to camp a boss for 4 days strait to maybe get a drop they need or maybe not, or take a year or more to lvl just one toon. Yes, there are some of us that would stick with it for a sense of accomplishment, but it would be a small crowd. So in gw2 those people have to make up our own sense of accomplishment in a casual game to keep us going… Such as maxing every profession even if it is a small feat compared to what once was… it is what we have, and an achievement is still warranted for this particular game.

Posted by: Sean.8274

Sean.8274

I too would like this achievement (posted in suggestions before about it).

As for people saying “it would force you to buy gems”: it would not. You could always delete a character and make a new one of a different profession. Yes that would be stupid and it would just be easier to just get a new character slot… but it would still achievable without ever actually buying a new slot.

Also, like all achievements….totally optional.

Lucy Ursa~80 Guardian | Worf Rozhenko~80 Warrior | Vera Valentine~80 Mesmer | Cupcake~80 Engi
King Arcturus X~80 Ranger | Suki Serra~80 Thief | Count Charon~80 Necro | Regulus Leo~80 Ele
HoD since launch

Posted by: JeroenXP.5364

JeroenXP.5364

An achievement would be nice yeah but I prefer they give us more stuff too lvl faster… At the moment I´m busy lvl´ing my 6th character too 80 but it just gets soooo boring after an hour. I have seen the zones too much esp the starter ones :P and lvl´ing through WvW is not fun for being almost completely useless.

Kemy Support ele – Kesia Berserker War – Miruto Wolfhowl Berserker ranger:
Sakurashi Tank Mesmer – Cutie Pewpie Grenadier Engineer – Neesa Misaki Support Guard:
[Underworld]

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Even worse than this is the awesome amount of achievement points u get for making a legendary……

Just because you got more points for breaking dragon pinatas (pressing F 150 times in Lion’s Arch) than you did for equipping three Legendary weapons (100% world exploration x2, 1000 Badges of Honor, 360 gold for recipes, 400 crafting in at least two different crafts, 3000+ T6 mats, 1000+ globs of ectoplams, 1000+ skill points, three precursors, or alternatively a crap-ton of gold to buy them outright) doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with the Achievement Points system.

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

Individual achievements are a pretty minor part of the game. I don’t see the issue with rewarding people for leveling up a lot of characters.

Furthermore, you COULD always convert gold to gems to cover the cost of the new character slot. Real-world money doesn’t have to come into play here.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Posted by: Lucentdragon.3429

Lucentdragon.3429

I would also like to see this added. I am getting pretty close to this myself, and while I have all 8 professions, the last 3 are just sitting around collecting dust at lower levels. Adding an achievement would definitely help motivate me to dust them off again. I’m not sure why this achievement wasn’t in place already honestly. In comparison to the mountain of other achievements in gw2, it’s actually one of the ones I would consider an actual accomplishment.

Posted by: Reihert.1509

Reihert.1509

I wish achievements were WoW/Rift style.

Those MAJOR ones should be announced in party and guild (World Explorer, Dungeon Master, Legendary, lvl 80, Liadris kill)…

But if they make it an achievement it could be “How does one kill who has no life”?

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

There isn’t an achievement for an 80 of every class? Odd. Of all of the things in this game that I’ve heard of people do, that is one of the few I honestly look at as being an “Achievement”, far beyond making a “legendary” weapon or completing some instance.

In fact, the only other thing someone could tell me that they have done in this game that would actually impress me would be beating Liadri. :-P

Posted by: The Boz.2038

The Boz.2038

The only issue with that is it would ‘force’ people to buy character slots they might not really want to get just to get those extra points.

..yeah, the same way the game is FORCING players into WvW to grab the Dolyak Slayer achievement.

Posted by: Zindrix.1750

Zindrix.1750

I don’t really understand the perspective, but just by the way things have panned out it seems as if Anet prefers not to support the idea of people playing alts(even though the classes are so shallow I would die of boredom if I had to stick with just one).

Mist.6217

@The Boz – Not sure if you missed my previous post, where I state that the idea is good. It also looks like you missed the ’ ’ I put around ‘force’ because I wasn’t saying it forces anyone but that “it forces me to buy characters” would be a likely excuse from those that don’t like it.

Posted by: Dog.1472

Dog.1472

When I finally got my last character to 80 it certainly felt like one heck of an achievement even without the game giving me shinies for doing so. I’m more happy about the fact that I’m a “Class Master” than anything.

It certainly could be an achievement and a title, but I don’t care either way. I just love having so many different abilities to choose from.

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.
As an asura, I do this all the time.”

Posted by: The Boz.2038

The Boz.2038

@The Boz – Not sure if you missed my previous post, where I state that the idea is good. It also looks like you missed the ’ ’ I put around ‘force’ because I wasn’t saying it forces anyone but that “it forces me to buy characters” would be a likely excuse from those that don’t like it.

Sorry, I wrote that post then forgot to hit submit while I went and had dinner, so it came in a bit late :p