Why no WvW tournament or SAB right now?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

It’s been months since we’ve gotten a content update, when we were all used to getting one bi-weekly for over 2 years. Why haven’t we gotten a WvW tournament or a SAB return during this down time? It would literally be the perfect time to bring either of these back and give us a chance to get some weapon skins in this down time before the expansion.

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

See this thread for a discussion already on the topic.

From that, Inculpatas cedo has a perfect explanation for the reason:

“I think I’d rather the Devs not take time out to develop something that would likely only entertain players the same amount of time it would push back the release of Heart of Thorns, leaving us exactly where we started.”

Posted by: ades.1386

ades.1386

oh yay the whole “Why no WvW tourny again??” See every post about having another tourny the general consensus is people hated it. It destroyed server population balance, burnt out wvw commanders, mass exodus of guilds being bought by T1, low tiers couldnt compete at all meaning there was no incentive to try because the reward system was horrible.

Its been 2 years and WvW is still a mess, if you want any proof look at the ppt/glicko scores for T2 -T3 going on for the past 7 months. People are crying for balance changes but Anet refuses to aknowledge or dare step foot in a wvw thread.

Crystal Desert

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

They’ve already explained why SAB isn’t out right now, but in case you don’t want to search for the answer, SAB is essentially broken at the moment since it relied on game mechanics and some tricky dev tricks to get it to work the way it had been working and since the last time it was in the game there have been significant changes to the game engine (how things work, etc) that have in turn broken SAB and while they want to bring it back, they are in spare no man mode for getting the xpac done and out the door because they have deadlines to meet. In short, it will be worked on and released once HoT is out and they can focus a team on it again.

As for a WvW tourney: meh. I’m frankly tired of seeing the bandwagon dance that each one brings to every single server. Megaservers have done enough to kill servers, and the tourney just further wrecks them. They can keep it as far as I’m concerned.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

SAB is broken until they can dedicate a team to fix it. WvW tournaments aren’t likely to happen again until they change things, due to how unpopular they were.

No Walking.6349

“I think I’d rather the Devs not take time out to develop something that would likely only entertain players the same amount of time it would push back the release of Heart of Thorns, leaving us exactly where we started.”

That’s a pretty BS answer… activating another tournament or reactivating the SAB takes the push of a button, they’re not being asked to make new content. Wouldn’t take up any dev resources at all.

No Walking.6349

oh yay the whole “Why no WvW tourny again??” See every post about having another tourny the general consensus is people hated it. It destroyed server population balance, burnt out wvw commanders, mass exodus of guilds being bought by T1, low tiers couldnt compete at all meaning there was no incentive to try because the reward system was horrible.

Its been 2 years and WvW is still a mess, if you want any proof look at the ppt/glicko scores for T2 -T3 going on for the past 7 months. People are crying for balance changes but Anet refuses to aknowledge or dare step foot in a wvw thread.

Then they should make a new way to get the tournament ticket weapon skins.

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

That’s a pretty BS answer… activating another tournament or reactivating the SAB takes the push of a button, they’re not being asked to make new content. Wouldn’t take up any dev resources at all.

Very incorrect.

Not only from other posts in this thread that have explained why, but the way those events work would break the game if suddenly re-implemented. Some development time would still be required for a WvW tournament, regardless of whether it is a lot or a little.

RoseofGilead.8907

You’re not a dev, and you don’t work for Anet. How do you know that all they have to do is press a button to turn it on?

Regardless, in the case of SAB, they have said (recently, too) that it is BROKEN. It will not currently work in the game, due to changes they made to the game’s engine over the past year or two.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You know…that ‘answer’ was posted in a thread that asked for new content to be created while waiting for HoT to release. So, not so much BS, as perhaps, out of context. Not to mention, it was my opinion/wish/desire; unless you are stating no one can have an opinion different than yours. I’m sure you weren’t saying that, of course….

Also, you might consider watching the latest PoI where Colin (Game Director) specifically addresses the whole ‘just-push-a-button’ uninformed answer/request to adding/re-enabling/etc. content in the game.

Good luck.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Posted by: Roundabout.1752

Roundabout.1752

SAB is broken until they can dedicate a team to fix it. WvW tournaments aren’t likely to happen again until they change things, due to how unpopular they were.

I’m really sorry to hear that WvW Tournaments were so unpopular, the only reason I do any WvW now is because I played during the last Tournament and found out I didn’t completely hate it.

RoseofGilead.8907

I’m really sorry to hear that WvW Tournaments were so unpopular, the only reason I do any WvW now is because I played during the last Tournament and found out I didn’t completely hate it.

I think there are people who, like you, very much enjoyed the tournaments because they were a decent introduction to wvw. But there were a lot of people who didn’t like how the tournaments were set up, partially due to how easy the achievements were. I also remember a lot of griping from the “real” wvw players about the “pve achievement hunters” coming in for ten minutes every day and then leaving, repeating the next day.

I hope the tournaments do come back in a way that can appeal to both the less initiated wvw players and the more hardcore players.