Why no capes?

Why no capes?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: sly nightmare.9486

sly nightmare.9486

So, I’ve been playing GW2 since beta, and I’ve seen quite the variety of back items released. Some of them have been really awesome, and extremely well thought out. However, I find the vast majority of them to be little too gaudy for some of my toons. I’ve always wondered if Anet would look into giving us capes. I mean, cloaks/capes are the most knightly back decoration I can think of; and I would very much like my Guardian to look knightly. Doesn’t even have to be an intricate design. Just some decent texture and a little physics added to make it flow in the breeze like several legging items already do.

Point being: Does anyone agree with me?

Why no capes?

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Makes me wonder too when i see loading screens with capes on characters (whoever they are) in certain maps. But I think they’d have an issue on Charr definitely.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Why no capes?

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

Anet is already working (or at least thinking) about implementing this.
It’s a lot more work that you would think to get the capes to fit, with everything else and avoid clipping.
It have been rumored that legendary back skins will be capes. But then again, legendary back skins is a rumor itself

Why no capes?

Posted by: sly nightmare.9486

sly nightmare.9486

It’s a lot more work that you would think to get the capes to fit, with everything else and avoid clipping.
It have been rumored that legendary back skins will be capes. But then again, legendary back skins is a rumor itself

I could definitely see the clipping and physics being a challenge, you’re right. Especially with all the races, body types, etc having to be taken into consideration.
As much as I’d love to see them soon, I’ll be glad if Anet takes their time and just gives us something polished when it’s ready. Was just something that crossed my mind once again whilst roaming the map.

Why no capes?

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

A rumor within a rumor leads to this….

Attachments:

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Why no capes?

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Why no capes?

Posted by: DiazKincade.2891

DiazKincade.2891

I believe the hardest issue here is giving charr capes. their stance kinda limits the ability of a cloth modifier to be used. That is unless you like having your cape hanging over your shoulder all the time. Every other character race just has to worry about clipping, which is a minor issue given that capes normally clip in games in general.

lvl80{Insert Class Here} Current main: Meana Mischeif-Mesmer

Why no capes?

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

They should make capes the way Tera did. This would remove clipping from charr and look pretty good to wear on any race.

Attachments:

Why no capes?

DiazKincade.2891

They should make capes the way Tera did. This would remove clipping from charr and look pretty good to wear on any race.

Except charr are hunched forward and run on all fours. the way cloth modifiers work would have the cloth shifting to one side or the other, not staying directly down the back. That is the problem charr have.

Why no capes?

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

I’d like to see them implement capes like we had in GW. Guild Capes were so much better than the crappy Guild Armor we have now. You could actually see the Guild Symbol on them.

Why no capes?

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

The physics would be complicated, with all the dodge rolls, leaps and and spins. Games with capes are often less animated than GW2.

Why no capes?

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

This topic always brings these images to my mind.
Using charr as an excuse is just that, an excuse, not sound reasoning to justify their non-implementation.

Charr should not have capes then, in the traditional sense.
It is not one size fits all (or one style for all). Give the other species capes or variations of capes (like the pics) and give charr something that functions appropriately for their body type and animations.

Nowhere is it said that all things must be identical across all species in the game. There are plenty of examples where things are intentionally different across the various species. Capes (or whatnot) should be no different.

Attachments:

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Why no capes?

Posted by: Kyrie Dark.3628

Kyrie Dark.3628

I’d love for my guardian to have a cape, if the Charr are the main issue than I say release it for all but the Charr race.

Why no capes?

DiazKincade.2891

Using charr as an excuse is just that, an excuse, not sound reasoning to justify their non-implementation.

It is not one size fits all (or one style for all). Give the other species capes or variations of capes (like the pics) and give charr something that functions appropriately for their body type and animations.

Nowhere is it said that all things must be identical across all species in the game. There are plenty of examples where things are intentionally different across the various species. Capes (or whatnot) should be no different.

Did you read my post at all? There IS sound reasoning. Have you ever messed around with a 3d design program? A cloth modifier? Unless they were to add in extra wind based physics system into the movement of the cloth (which would take more data and processing power than what is already use, Gravity physics system if you are not sure what I mean.) or make the majority of the mesh static, (which looks horrible btw, See DAoC if you don’t believe me.) the cloth WILL fall to the side of the character if they are hunched over. Its the way the physics works. (Gravity physics in this case)

Another “great” example of the screw ups inherent in cloth like apparel and the horrendous clipping issues they create on hunched characters would be Champion’s Online. Go play around with those capes for awhile and see what happens.

If you were to give all the other races capes but not the charr how many charr players will come here and complain about it? Pretty much every one of them. As far as intentionally different, its only different in the mesh design. The styles are the same.

Why no capes?

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

A relatively simple solution would be to add capes… that are belted at the characters waist, and flow free below the waist. Theoretically solves the problem for Charr, and other races.

Why no capes?

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

A relatively simple solution would be to add capes… that are belted at the characters waist, and flow free below the waist. Theoretically solves the problem for Charr, and other races.

That doesn’t though, because then we still run into tail clipping.

Why no capes?

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

That doesn’t though, because then we still run into tail clipping.

Tails already clip with everything, but at least belting a cape/cloak at the waist would solve the Charr’s bend over and run on all fours issue, at least partially.

Simplest solution for tail clipping with a cape would be to have the lower part of the cape split up the middle, so it more or less falls to either side of the tail.

Why no capes?

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Did you read my post at all? There IS sound reasoning. Have you ever messed around with a 3d design program? A cloth modifier? Unless they were to add in extra wind based physics system into the movement of the cloth (which would take more data and processing power than what is already use, Gravity physics system if you are not sure what I mean.) or make the majority of the mesh static, (which looks horrible btw, See DAoC if you don’t believe me.) the cloth WILL fall to the side of the character if they are hunched over. Its the way the physics works. (Gravity physics in this case)

Another “great” example of the screw ups inherent in cloth like apparel and the horrendous clipping issues they create on hunched characters would be Champion’s Online. Go play around with those capes for awhile and see what happens.

If you were to give all the other races capes but not the charr how many charr players will come here and complain about it? Pretty much every one of them. As far as intentionally different, its only different in the mesh design. The styles are the same.

Ok. My post was not directed at you. However, I did read your post (and all of the others). I like reading your posts. I would ask if you read all of mine as well as you seemed to have missed where I addressed the points you brought up in your response.

You gave reasons for why traditional capes would not work on charr. I agree with that reasoning. But that does not supply reasoning to the real issue. Many seem to be hung up on thinking that charr need to have the exact same type of cape that all non-charr receive.

I stated that charr should receive something different that does work with their species’ characteristics in the game. You have not progressed the concept further. Styles would not be the same (as stated). There will then be no complaining from charr players of being the only species to not get capes as they would have their capes, though they would be different from the capes on other species much like other game elements are different between species.

Once again, there is no sound reasoning for not implementing capes in any fashion from all species in the game simply because the same style that functions properly on others would not function properly on them.

You seem to be wanting to pick a fight by the level of aggression in your post and I am not seeing any reason as for why.

And since you had asked:
“Have you ever messed around with a 3d design program?” – Yes.
“A cloth modifier?” – Yes.

I will not be returning to the thread, by the way, as this topic has been discussed many times. Just a heads up so you know not to spend time composing a response that will not be read.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Why no capes?

Posted by: Ve Salu Sigtyr.4807

Ve Salu Sigtyr.4807

Charr could have like cloaks or something, or nifty side capes. Or scarf cape hybrids, or , OR instead of capes they could have like special tail ornaments/ mane ornaments that other races can’t have. I mean asura shouldn’t really have capes, they’d like fly away anytime the wind picked up, give them like walk spider leg backpacks like Doc Oct, or something.

Give sylvari leafy growth capes with various blooms etc, humans could have guild capes, norns could have trophy cloaks made of various monster kills.

I don’t think every race needs to have like ONE cape to rule them all, different cultures, different ornamentation.

Why no capes?

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

make it cultural backpieces.

each race gets their own unique style of capes

something like cabal online

Why no capes?

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

There are many capes in GW2 you can jump off. Some have even diving goggles.

Capes as backpieces will cause a lot of troubles – especially for Charrs. Engineers will not enjoy them I guess.

Why no capes?

Posted by: Ve Salu Sigtyr.4807

Ve Salu Sigtyr.4807

OH MAN FREIKEN CABAL. OH GOD.

That game, just. Freiken. Tron X DnD X Korea. Just too much. Shame it wasn’t more open worldy I freiken loved that games combat/ animations and abilities. WOO, nostalgia. But yeah Cabal had awesome capes, from trench coats to scarves. Great way to diversify and I’d love to have cultural based equipments that fit with their basic armor styles.

Just, just give me a giant bearskin cloak so I can run around as a bear within a bear. A bearception if you will.

Why no capes?

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

Anet doesnt care about charr. Just take a look at armors – after nearly 2 years we still have clipping issues everywhere. Charr inst the reason why we don’t have capes. I won’t even mention the ugly armros we have in general, like heavy armors with a skirt..

Oh btw..wats dat

Attachments:

Why no capes?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Colin stated during his Pax 2013 interview with Matt Visual (youtube it) that capes were something they wanted to do. However, due to some of the newer tech being used in GW2 they weren’t as simple to do as they were in GW1. It was a bit more complex, but something on thier to do list. Some people were working on it in their spare time, but they had other priorities that needed to come before capes. Nothing has changed as far as I’ve heard.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Why no capes?

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Anet doesnt care about charr. Just take a look at armors – after nearly 2 years we still have clipping issues everywhere. Charr inst the reason why we don’t have capes. I won’t even mention the ugly armros we have in general, like heavy armors with a skirt..

Oh btw..wats dat

Honestly I remember cape physics being pretty bad in that game……rather not have those.

Why no capes?

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I’d like to see them implement capes like we had in GW. Guild Capes were so much better than the crappy Guild Armor we have now. You could actually see the Guild Symbol on them.

It’s these Charrs you see, in GW everyone was human so you could easily animate capes, or write simple algorithms for animation.

I’d love for my guardian to have a cape, if the Charr are the main issue than I say release it for all but the Charr race.

Well I’d want to warn about the massive player uproar, but unfortunately Charr aren’t the most popular.

make it cultural backpieces.

each race gets their own unique style of capes

something like cabal online

This could work I guess, you’d be stealth introducing capes, without having all of them be exactly the same type of cape.

(edited by CureForLiving.5360)

Why no capes?

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Because this is not Marvel Universe Online…

(looking at players in LA wearing sparkling and on fire gear)

Ok, maybe this is more similar to a superheroes saga than I expected… bring the capes, its not gonna be worst that it already is.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Why no capes?

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

Capes perfectly fit guild wars world, we certainly need some other features from gw1.(like guild halls, gvg, championships, build sending/presetting etc.)

It would be a perfect way to represent your guild. (Pic from gw1)

Attachments:

Why no capes?

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

Exactly. I’ve always thought a cultural backpiece that could display your guild logo made sense:

Humans – Capes.
Asura – Glowing Hologram.
Sylvari – Giant leaf .
Norn – Fur cloak.
Charr – Armoured shell.

Very simple, allows for diversity (not everyone in a cape) and deals with clipping. Plus a glowing hologram of your guild emblem would be awesome on an Asura.

Why no capes?

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

I like the idea of racial capes to be honest.

Charr with Tail Adornments…
Asura with Leaves or such…
Norn with Fur Cloaks…
Sylvari with Jet Packs or other movement type stuff…
Humans with the traditional Capes…

Why no capes?

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

there is something called shoulder capes, a char could have that as compromise.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6047/6878862452_b71585f336.jpg

Why no capes?

Posted by: Ouimette.5902

Ouimette.5902

Here’s an answer from Colin the man himself. Creds to MattVisual too

http://youtu.be/Jy7CcwnfUdU?t=35s

Why no capes?

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

takes a drink

Why no capes?

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

more variety is always nice, but capes are too similar to so many things we already have. not so much back items, but a lot of coats are cape-like.

Why no capes?

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I’m guessing the real answer is processing power required to make this look halfway decent is just not available under the games technology.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Why no capes?

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I’m not against them, provided I can hide them, and if they come with stats, there is a way for a casual player to at least acquire a reasonable exotic version of it.

Having said that, with my luck, they’ll introduce it, and someone’s OCD will flare up because of some completely inconsequential clipping issues, and then they’ll change the running animation on my characters again, to something even ‘more’ atrocious than the first round of running animation changes, and my characters will all look like Lurch.

Why no capes?

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Look at one of your characters that has a great sword or staff from the side. See how it floats off the back of your character. They float to avoid clipping and even then with some armors they still clip. That is why capes won’t work. Well I guess they would work if they floated them even more than that and then floated back placed items even further than that. Imagine how that would look from the side. LOL

Attachments:

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Why no capes?

Posted by: Omar Aschi Popp.7496

Omar Aschi Popp.7496

1327 AE
Not being Human master race character
Not openly contemptuous of players who have Charr characters
Caring about lesser races and clipping.

Humans don’t have clipping problems.

List of people whose posts speak on my behalf:
Lunar Sunset.8742
Rogue.7856

Why no capes?

Posted by: Bozidar.8645

Bozidar.8645

I would love to see capes. While clipping sucks, as long as they’re willing to fix the issue for all races and animations, I would even be okay if they were released before it was perfect. Since it would be a back item, it would be able to be hidden if people didn’t like seeing theirs … or they could use a standard back piece already available.

Why no capes?

Posted by: slamb.4781

slamb.4781

Let me just leave this here :p

Sir Kitty Litter
[QOP] Quaggan Op – Guild Leader