Why no flail skins?

Why no flail skins?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: spork.8379

spork.8379

Q:

Hi everyone, I was just wondering what people thought of the current mace skins. I’ve been playing a lot of guardian/warrior and really enjoy the mace skills; however, I hate the way most of the maces look. The mace skins look kitten y to me and I would really like to see flail skins for maces. The flail is just as iconic as the mace for brute force weapons. I also think they just generally look way more awesome. I am also curious as to why they haven’t been implemented yet. Does it clash with the mace animations? Tell me what you think.

Why no flail skins?

Posted by: Stitch.1794

Stitch.1794

They’re certainly capable of doing it – the SAB mace skin is a flail.

Why no flail skins?

spork.8379

That skin is goofy! I just want a normal flail!

Why no flail skins?

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Obviously, the SAB skin isn’t a normal flail. Stitch was pointing it out because you asked if there’s an animation-based reason for not making flails. If the SAB skin works, a normal one could probably work just as well.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Why no flail skins?

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Asurans had to make a choice between developing waypoint technology and flail technology. They didn’t have the budget for both. Atm those purse strings are held by Councillor Phlunt.

~EW

Why no flail skins?

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

Asurans had to make a choice between developing waypoint technology and flail technology. They didn’t have the budget for both. Atm those purse strings are held by Councillor Phlunt.

~EW

i don’t usu like anything u say, but this was pretty funny

Why no flail skins?

spork.8379

Obviously, the SAB skin isn’t a normal flail. Stitch was pointing it out because you asked if there’s an animation-based reason for not making flails. If the SAB skin works, a normal one could probably work just as well.

You are right; I apologize

Why no flail skins?

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

So far, most of the maces have been lackluster, at best. Generally boring, eye-roll-inducing.. You get the gist.

I think adding some flails would add some life to an otherwise stiff and boring weapon (that nobody uses. >.>)

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Why no flail skins?

spork.8379

So far, most of the maces have been lackluster, at best. Generally boring, eye-roll-inducing.. You get the gist.

I think adding some flails would add some life to an otherwise stiff and boring weapon (that nobody uses. >.>)

I completely agree. Imagine a flail with the same animation as the anomaly at the ball part! It would look sweet. It would still need spikes tho…

Why no flail skins?

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

Engine limitation i guess. Had “The Crossing” on my rev and they chain did some funky kitten.

Why no flail skins?

Posted by: Trise.2865

Trise.2865

There is no technical reason they haven’t done it. Both the Super Mace and Chain-whip Sword prove a flexible weapon skin is possible with current technology.

If I were to assume, I would guess the reasons are either lore-based (existing mace skills make less sense using a flail, except as a joke), or motivation-based (nobody wanted to do it or felt there was demand for it).

Why no flail skins?

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

That skin is goofy! I just want a normal flail!

Something similar to > this design < perhaps?

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Why no flail skins?

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I’d rather have flails as a new weapon type in the future than see a few flail skins slapped on maces. While flails CAN do most of the stuff maces can, they can also some stuff maces CAN’T. It’d be a shame to waste that potential just turning them into maces, IMO.

Of course, that’s assuming new weapon types are ever going to happen at all. I guess if the devs have already decided they’re never making new weapons then they may as well make flail-maces. But if new weapon types are still possible, I’d just as soon save them for that possibility.

Why no flail skins?

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I’d rather have flails as a new weapon type in the future than see a few flail skins slapped on maces. While flails CAN do most of the stuff maces can, they can also some stuff maces CAN’T. It’d be a shame to waste that potential just turning them into maces, IMO.

Of course, that’s assuming new weapon types are ever going to happen at all. I guess if the devs have already decided they’re never making new weapons then they may as well make flail-maces. But if new weapon types are still possible, I’d just as soon save them for that possibility.

Flails should be be a new weapon type since the animations for them should be different as well.

Why no flail skins?

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

well flails are a much different kind of weapon than a mace.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Why no flail skins?

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I don’t think it’s realistic to hope that flails will be their own weapon type, but however odd flails might look on certain mace skills, they can’t look any stranger than Scythe-staves or daggers that come in regular- or reverse-grip while using the same base animations. There’s some wiggle room for sure.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~