Why no /inspect ?

Why no /inspect ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

Horrible in THEIR view, that’s the problem here. My characters all have great builds and can hold their own in most fights, I don’t need elitists whining about my build because it doesn’t measure up to THEIR standarts.

That’s great. For solo play. In a group it is more than reasonable to expect everyone to play with the group’s interest in mind.

And I suppose you decide what kind of build everyone should play with?

No. There’s 4 of us to tell the 5th guy what to roll, how and why is it better than his current way.

Even more reason to keep /inspect out of this game so people like you might get off your ‘you play what I want, up yours’ high horse.

Oh no, feel free to play whatever you want, you just won’t be in my groups, s’all. No hard feelings and I won’t hold anything against you.

I’m too used to being refused groups before I’ve even played with them based on gear and not my skill / knowledge of my class and encounters to be able to agree to an /inspect option.

Maybe there’s a reason for that? Just suggesting.

(edited by Iehova.9518)

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Horrible in THEIR view, that’s the problem here. My characters all have great builds and can hold their own in most fights, I don’t need elitists whining about my build because it doesn’t measure up to THEIR standards.

That’s great. For solo play. In a group it is more than reasonable to expect everyone to play with the group’s interest in mind.

So basically it’s ‘play my way or don’t join’, regardless of the fact said person may have a build that doesn’t hold the team back, and may very well contribute?

I’m too used to being refused groups before I’ve even played with them based on gear and not my skill / knowledge of my class and encounters to be able to agree to an /inspect option.

Maybe there’s a reason for that? Just suggesting.

There is. I’ll say it again, since you didn’t seem to read it the first time:

‘I’m too used to being refused groups before I’ve even played with them based on gear…’

Before my mates started to play, I used to pug, keeping to AC mostly because I liked the weapons. Despite having rares, I was still refused because I didn’t have exotic gear.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Ricky Da Man.5064

Ricky Da Man.5064

Brilliant. Because gear is the only thing used measure of a person’s play skill. Bravo.

Assuming that the players are equally skilled (or equally unskilled), then it is gear that matters. Besides, isn’t building an effective gear a part of being a skilled player?

no because the builds just copy and paste from everyone else and has no imput from the player, so if anything, they are infact a bigger noob.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

WOW is that —-—————————————> way.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Why no /inspect ?

Iehova.9518

So basically it’s ‘play my way or don’t join’, regardless of the fact said person may have a build that doesn’t hold the team back, and may very well contribute?

No. I always give benefit of the doubt. It’s “what’s your build? why aren’t you build-i’m-used-to-running and why do you think it’s superior?” first. Then I see whether to keep this guy or not.

Before my mates started to play, I used to pug, keeping to AC mostly because I liked the weapons. Despite having rares, I was still refused because I didn’t have exotic gear.

Well, it’s not like crafted gear is expensive or anything.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Imbune.5497

Imbune.5497

So after watching some of the pvp spectating it seems they added a viable inspect window. Why dont we have this in PvE? Seems all the complaints of MF in dungeons, Multiple Condition people, and players not carrying their weight could be helped by this. You could make it group only or add an option to make it public or not. Perhaps even make it a link from the player like a /Show build command instead.

To answer the question posed in the title, I think only a representative of Anet will be of any real worth-everyone else will just give their opinion (myself included) without actually knowing the reason why it isn’t in.

Regarding the body of the post, I personally would rather see a graphical representation for mf on the player similar to the effect of food or those 25stack sigil and the decrease in effectiveness with more than two condi players is a flaw in the mechanic that needs to be addressed-not accepting the flaw then proceed to alienate players imo. As mentioned gear does not equate to carrying one’s own weight-at best all it means is the player is mindlessly following a cookie cutter build (omitting the obvious exception of mf gear). I like to use AC as a reference because it’s the most experienced and readily shows up bad players/habits/mind set; a warrior in knight/zerker gear (a sound-but not the ONLY viable, offensive oriented set up for pve) passes the ‘inspection’ test. Proceeds to rez downed players in red circles, does not bring any condition removers for spider, no stun break/stability for kholer, doesn’t dodge the pull, doesn’t kill adds, tries to kill the warrior ghosts first when rest of party focuses down the squisher aoe oriented mobs (resulting in party receiving more damage than necessary…him probably going down as he gets bombarded with foefire and feared/chilled/poisoned/bled/burnt out of existence), doesn’t get out of the way of the howl or doesn’t run lings into fire on path 1, tries to attack invulnerable boss in path 2, face tanks the ceiling in path 3…a player like that might as well had been playing naked.

Making it optional is of no consequence-as mentioned, once it’s there in the game players will demand you turn it on for the ‘inspection test’ (see above why the test is of little use when dealing with anyone who goes to their class forums/guild/friend advice for builds and gear set-ups). The option of show build is even worse imo-what it will lead to is “gear, build and play my way or gtfo” (read: I don’t actually have a way-I just follow whatever the cool kids on the forums are doing for the fotm but I’m part of the vocal minority now so that gives me the right to turn my nose up at anyone who dares think for themselves ….I’m lonely, someone hug me ).

I understand where you’re coming from but I think you’re only looking at the positives and not the full picture…ironically one could say you aren’t factoring in gamers-scratch that, ONLINE gamers

When free speech ends, tyranny begins.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

I agree on /show build, like in GW, where you could save/ping builds, but I don’t like the /inspect idea

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

People get into ‘build of the month’ insanity. There really is no such thing as a vastly superior build in GW2 – but people think there is.

Like the whole obsessions some have with ‘zerker’ – a notably inferior choice in many situations that because it works when you glitch runs of CoF p1/2… people are obsessed with.

The last thing you need is to copy WoW, and empower such idiocy.

The experience of both seeing the negative impacts this had to the WoW community, AND the severely negative impacts it had to the GW1 community after it was added there, are good reasons to avoid that mistake here.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

No. I always give benefit of the doubt. It’s “what’s your build? why aren’t you build-i’m-used-to-running and why do you think it’s superior?” first. Then I see whether to keep this guy or not.

So it still amounts to the person has to live up to ‘your’ expectations, before even seeing them play.

Well, it’s not like crafted gear is expensive or anything.

This was more or less a few weeks after launch.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

]No. I always give benefit of the doubt. It’s “what’s your build? why aren’t you build-i’m-used-to-running and why do you think it’s superior?” first. Then I see whether to keep this guy or not.

would be nice if people are like this. However, the sad reality is some are even worse. Some even discriminate against class. I believe if implemented people are gonna be like “what’s your build? lol noob condi eng /kick*”

The most beautiful thing about gw2 is that a player in inferior gear who knows how to play is >>>>>>>> than a player who is in superior gear but doesn’t know how to play his class. That’s why the first thing I ask when someone joins a dungeon run is not “what is your gear?” but “are you new to this dungeon/familiar with this dungeon?” Mechanics > stats any day. (I’m not saying I accept only experienced players. If they are new, I make sure to guide them accordingly throughout the dungeon, to equip condi removal at some encounters/stunbreaks, mechanics of the boss fights, etc)

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

(edited by penatbater.4710)

Why no /inspect ?

Iehova.9518

There really is no such thing as a vastly superior build in GW2 – but people think there is.

Prove it.

Like the whole obsessions some have with ‘zerker’ – a notably inferior choice in many situations that because it works when you glitch runs of CoF p1/2… people are obsessed with.

Disregard what I posted earlier, you have no idea what you’re talking about.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

There really is no such thing as a vastly superior build in GW2 – but people think there is.

Prove it.

Disregard what I posted earlier, you have no idea what you’re talking about.

I actually disagree (with kichwas, and agree with you). There are some superior builds than others. However, having the build is only half, maybe a third of the battle. Knowing how to use the build is a greater factor to consider. You may have full zerk on your warrior, but if you don’t know how to play it, you’re better off getting tanky items. As I’ve said, knowing how to play your class/knowing the dungeon mechanics >>>>> any build, superior or not.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Here’s a question I’d be interested in knowing the answer to. Are the people who want /inspect because they demand perfection from their random group mates the same people claiming the game is too easy?

As far as the feature itself: the people who want to ensure their group members are perfect have expectations over and above what the game itself requires. This is because they don’t want to be inconvenienced. I have no problem with them playing with whom they want.

That said, those making special requirements should be the ones going out of their way. I see no reason to add a feature for their convenience if it will be detrimental to others’ game experience — which is patently the case.

Why no /inspect ?

Iehova.9518

Are the people who want /inspect because they demand perfection from their random group mates the same people claiming the game is too easy?

Erase that word and you’ll have a ‘yes’ from me.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Jaall.3420

Jaall.3420

Why do people demand perfection? It really does elude me as to why people would want others to play exactly as you want to rather than the way they play, even if it works. It’s all very well saying you ask a lot of questions before inviting and check gear through pings etc, but this is a game! It all seems a lot of effort just to be efficient and that is fine if you want to be, but don’t drag others with you.

Introducing a gear check system will inevitably drag every single player, no matter what their play style, into the pro-efficient way of playing and that would be disastrous for this game. I have no worries about it being implemented because I’m sure it won’t given the reaction on here is mostly against it, just making the point.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

I swap out utility skills and weapons all the times depending on the situation. My Traits match that of my prefered playstyle. So what does it matter what my build is before I go to the dungeon as long as I have something on me that will make it work and I am light on my feet.

I find knowing how to be light on your feet and positioning is more important than my build.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

Let’s not forget that builds can sometimes be trade secrets. I know quite a few sPvP regulars who make it a rule to not share their builds publicly. People are less secretive in WvW, but I can understand why someone wouldn’t want to share.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

Yeah, people can still be bad with gear that “checks all the boxes”, so I’m not sure this really helps much. You weed out some people you don’t want, you weed out a few people you do want but think you don’t, and you pass through a decent number of people who look good but are actually worse than group 2.

Ultimately there’s no shortcut for finding out if someone can play – you have to watch them play. For that reason, in random groups you’re always going to run the risk of picking up the wrong people. Luckily, for almost all of the content you don’t need to care, because while they may not be top-notch with substandard gear or substandard skills, they’re good enough to help you beat it anyway.

For the toughest content, there’s still that problem, but I kind of figure you don’t want to random group for that.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

If it is pre-organized group they should be willing to share their build anyways with you. Perhaps even ask for advise.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

This is a great idea, it lets me know which groups to avoid. The second someone asks to check my gear I can leave and find someone I’d rather play with.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Why no /inspect ?

Iehova.9518

This is a great idea, it lets me know which groups to avoid. The second someone asks to check my gear I can leave and find someone I’d rather play with.

You don’t understand. With a feature like /inspect, you will be checked for gear anyway and probably kicked immediately after.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

People get into ‘build of the month’ insanity. There really is no such thing as a vastly superior build in GW2 – but people think there is.

There’s a quite big difference between Berserker GS/Axe/Mace Warrior compared to Heal/Vit/Prec shout-heal Hammer Warrior.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Sovta.4719

Sovta.4719

Because builds don’t equal skill. And in PVe, even if my build isn’t a “standard” build, it works quite well for me.

In Guild Wars 1, people used to ask me to ping my build, after which they wouldn’t accept me in their groups. So I’d go solo the content with heroes, come back and wave at them, trying to build their group.

A lot more people out there think they have a clue than actually have one.

^So much this

Yes, cause we all now best PvE players run bad builds, it has nothing with skill!!!!!

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

Just no! there is enough elitism going on without it.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

No, I want to inspect everything. From traits, gear, and skills. Everything from the ground up.

When the party members ping their build onto the chat, I can fully utilize this information. Is that elementalist a bunker or support? Should I use this warrior as a backline or frontline? Etc etc.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Mastermavrick.2439

Mastermavrick.2439

I seriously think “Iehova.9518” is just trolling by this point. My answer to /inspect = no it causes drama/elitism/antagonism in the player base which we DON’T want at all.

The Revenant Apostle [Rvnt]→ DragonBand
Kaiji Ruko – 80 Ranger, Revanat Shadowdeath – 80 Necromancer

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

When the party members ping their build onto the chat, I can fully utilize this information. Is that elementalist a bunker or support? Should I use this warrior as a backline or frontline? Etc etc.

Who died and put you in charge?

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Jaall.3420

Jaall.3420

Funnily enough Lehova is proving our point that gear inspect is a bad thing because it’s just making it quite clear the attitude that people have and how much it would effect the casual player.

Why no /inspect ?

Sovta.4719

No, I want to inspect everything. From traits, gear, and skills. Everything from the ground up.

Shoud i waste 3h on this fotm daily or find 1h30min group?

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Josip.8267

Josip.8267

Because people that use Mf don’t want to be inspected. This is biggest reason in my opinion.

Why no /inspect ?

Julie Yann.5379

Because people that use Mf don’t want to be inspected. This is biggest reason in my opinion.

Nobody wants to be inspected, we just put up with it to please the vocal minority.

Why no /inspect ?

Sovta.4719

Nobody wants to be inspected, we just put up with it to please the vocal minority.

Vocal minority vs MF majority, let the battle begin!!!

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

That is your problem if you want to waste 1h30m-3h.

Knowing what the other builds are, I can get my team to coordinate better. It is much more helpful than hurtful. I rather have you cry about the exaggerating time it takes to find a group than me wasting hours learning each and everyone of my teammate’s build in order to coordinate better in WvW or instances.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Why no /inspect ?

Julie Yann.5379

Vocal minority vs MF majority, let the battle begin!!!

Wasn’t trying to start a battle. just saying that the majority of people don’t give 2 kittens about what gear you have or build your are running but for the sake of not going through the hassle of finding another group we will ping our gear to please these guys.

Why no /inspect ?

Sovta.4719

That is your problem if you want to waste 1h30m-3h.

Knowing what the other builds are, I can get my team to coordinate better. It is much more helpful than hurtful. I rather have you cry about the exaggerating time it takes to find a group than me wasting hours learning each and everyone of my teammate’s build in order to coordinate better in WvW or instances.

Hey, i’m on your side actually, i don’t want to enter lvl 48 with cond dmg warrior, glass canon necro or guardian that doesn’t know what reflection is if don’t have too.
This way if for example other guardian is more defensive i can go for more offensive, if we need something else i can reroll cond necro or retrait or something.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

Some people are better as a full berserker.
Other people go down every 2 hits because they don’t react fast enough.

Some people are better as a tough/vit tank.
Other people will go down just as fast because they aren’t using their skills at the right time.

Some people are better as…
Well, I could go on for days.

The point is, just as people have different personalities, they also have different play styles. We can’t all be the sneaky-one-hit-kill Assassin’s Creed master. We can’t all be the Kratos-God of War smash-and-laugh master. We can’t all be the sit-quietly-in-the-back-of-the-room-and-buff-the-party guy.

When you try to make everyone play with the same armor stats, there’s going to be those who excel in it, and those who are always taking a dirt nap. Not everyone has lightning fast reflexes, not everyone has the patience to condition an enemy to death, and not everyone has the knowledge needed to know when to pull chains to disable traps in fights.

The fights in GW2 are dynamic. In other games, you can give someone a sword and board, give them a 10 skill rotation, and they can do it. As long as they keep their rotation, and don’t change anything, they can tank/dps/heal through any PvE content.
In GW2, you give someone a sword and board and all they have are 10 skills and a dodge. They need practice and experience to know when to dodge, where to dodge, which skills to use, and which skills not to use.

Common Mistakes:

Enemies put up reflection – most of the berserker bursters go down. Only some have the sense to cease fire and live.

Red circle on the ground – most people don’t dodge, thinking they can tank through it, and as a result die. Only those with experience know they need to dodge out of the deadly circles. Some circles are worse than others.

Multiple red circles on the ground – most people dodge from one red circle right into another red circle. Only those who take a moment to look before they dodge will dodge to safety.

Invulnerability – when a mob becomes invulnerable, most people will wail on it even though they are doing 0 damage. (Maw comes to mind). Sometimes a lever needs to be pulled, or another mob killed first before the original monster will become vulnerable again.

All of these mistakes is what separates the good from the bad. Not their armor. You could have a fully decked out party of exotic berserkers, and wipe 10 times easily in a single dungeon run.

What you should do: Find a group of people you enjoy running with. Whether it be a guild group or random pug group that meshed well together. Take that group and dungeon together. Synergy. Work as a team, keep each other safe, and learn their weaknesses so you can help them. Example: If you have a guy who is a pure toughness tank, then he’s going to be weak against conditions. TA will be a nightmare for him. Make sure you and your friends put on a few condition removers to compensate for him or be ready to rez him when he goes down.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Mace Fist Mojo.9083

Mace Fist Mojo.9083

Everyone has a different playstyle. Some people just want to get things done and you can’t blame them for that. If the build you make doesn’t fit what they need, you shouldn’t force yourself on that team. If you are arguing before you even enter the event you plan on doing, its not going to be any fun on either person’s side.

I personally like going on rag-tag runs for dungeons EXP or Story. You meet all kinds of interesting people. My typical run ins for example have been a husband/wife combo, dead quiet guys, foreign people or just a bunch of dudes always cracking jokes. Sometimes being able to carry a team on your own makes you feel awesome and usually those teammates are extremely grateful to you.

Honestly I think gear inspection won’t do much, people already ask what gear you are running with. If you feel like you have to defend yourself against said person, then you probably are not a good match.

Add me if you are just looking for folks to play with!

Why no /inspect ?

Julie Yann.5379

Everyone has a different playstyle. Some people just want to get things done and you can’t blame them for that. If the build you make doesn’t fit what they need, you shouldn’t force yourself on that team. If you are arguing before you even enter the event you plan on doing, its not going to be any fun on either person’s side.

I personally like going on rag-tag runs for dungeons EXP or Story. You meet all kinds of interesting people. My typical run ins for example have been a husband/wife combo, dead quiet guys, foreign people or just a bunch of dudes always cracking jokes. Sometimes being able to carry a team on your own makes you feel awesome and usually those teammates are extremely grateful to you.

Honestly I think gear inspection won’t do much, people already ask what gear you are running with. If you feel like you have to defend yourself against said person, then you probably are not a good match.

Add me if you are just looking for folks to play with!

^^^
This

Why no /inspect ?

Iehova.9518

Funnily enough Lehova is proving our point that gear inspect is a bad thing because it’s just making it quite clear the attitude that people have and how much it would effect the casual player.

1. My name begins with an ‘i’.
2. Casual players do not care if they’re being inspected or not. Bads, MF leeches, 5-signet/healing shout warriors, condition damage guardians and the rest of people who do not know their classes and expect being piggybacked do.
3. It’s spelled “affect”.
4. There is nothing inherently wrong with the ability to see what other players are wearing. You do not have to party with elitist jerks, they already have static groups to steamroll all the content.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: kitanas.3596

kitanas.3596

1. My name begins with an ‘i’.
2. Casual players do not care if they’re being inspected or not. Bads, MF leeches, 5-signet/healing shout warriors, condition damage guardians and the rest of people who do not know their classes and expect being piggybacked do.
3. It’s spelled “affect”.
4. There is nothing inherently wrong with the ability to see what other players are wearing. You do not have to party with elitist jerks, they already have static groups to steamroll all the content.

1. “I” “l” one is lowercase L, one is uppercase i. which is which.
2. I’m causal, and I care
3. no argument, your grammar is gooder.
4. While true, adding gives elitist jerks incentives to roll with pugs, because they can control said Pugs gear. this leads to a worsened environment for puggers (like me)

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Escthiil.3210

Escthiil.3210

Because my gear is none of your frigging business.

Ditto.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

But but… we NEED inspect so that I can make sure the people in my group can carry me effici-… I mean, so that I can know they are up to par with what is “needed” in the dungeon. Yea, that’s it…

tl;dr- skilled players don’t need inspect and don’t have to dictate their teammates builds. They can succeed even when one player is a little behind the others. The rest just cry and whine and chime about “teamwork” as being the reason for them needing inspect; aka: people carrying them quickly and efficiently.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

You don’t understand. With a feature like /inspect, you will be checked for gear anyway and probably kicked immediately after.

Sorry, sarcasm doesn’ come across well on the internet. No, this is a horrible idea and I wouldn’t play with anyone who made an issue of my gear.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: GoddessHrist.8472

GoddessHrist.8472

We already have the ability to ping gear. High performance groups already require it. Adding an inspect feature will simply make it impossible for dishonest players to lie.

I regularly speed run CoF and it is easy to tell when a new addition to the group is not running the required gear and a kick at the acolytes follows. Gear inspection would save everyone time.

How would a toggle-able inspect feature promote elitism anymore than gear pings do currently?

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

We already have the ability to ping gear. High performance groups already require it. Adding an inspect feature will simply make it impossible for dishonest players to lie.

I regularly speed run CoF and it is easy to tell when a new addition to the group is not running the required gear and a kick at the acolytes follows. Gear inspection would save everyone time.

How would a toggle-able inspect feature promote elitism anymore than gear pings do currently?

An inspect feature would not save “everyone” time, just the players who have gear requirements. Don’t like the current system? Take the advice offered to people who complain about groups with gear requirements. Make the effort to accumulate a friends list that wants what you want, then you won’t have to pug.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

Being asked to ping gear at least lets you know that the group is oriented towards efficiency so you can choose to join or not. An inspect feature takes that control out of your hands and will be misused more than it will be used appropriately.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

it’ll lead to elitism.

Problem is thats already happened.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

it’ll lead to elitism.

Problem is thats already happened.

well into deeper elitism

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Because my gear is none of your frigging business.

I am an elite.

I am not an elitist.

And I agree with this post 100%.

PS: whether or not an /inspect would lead to elitism is beside the point. Reread the quote.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: bewhatever.2390

bewhatever.2390

So after watching some of the pvp spectating it seems they added a viable inspect window. Why dont we have this in PvE? Seems all the complaints of MF in dungeons, Multiple Condition people, and players not carrying their weight could be helped by this. You could make it group only or add an option to make it public or not. Perhaps even make it a link from the player like a /Show build command instead.

How do I detest inspect? Let me count the ways…

Inspect is designed for WoW PvE raiding, where the combat math allows encounters to be designed with a knife edge stat requirement (below this total sustained dps is a guaranteed wipe, below this total tank mitigation is a guaranteed wipe, below this level of aggregate healing is a guaranteed wipe). WoW 5-mans were similar (at least some years ago the last I played). Progression was by gear, not by player skill. So having the ability to make sure all the players coming into an encounter had the gear it took to complete the encounter was entirely reasonable…but…

what really happened was people wanted to faceroll content very fast in PUGs so started taking only those who radically outgeared the encounters, in turn creating the haves (who could keep facerolling the content) and the have-nots (who couldn’t get a PUG and therefore were excluded from significant amounts of content). So then the devs started giving away raid badges for dungeonfinder random dailies to incent the haves to group with the have nots, which caused gear inflation that trivialized the entire 5-man content of the game. Slippery slope indeed. Starts with inspect.

In GW2, what are you going to measure? Defensive movement skill is a huge part of this game, and once defensive movement skill is mastered people tend to migrate to dps oriented gear (ie Beserker). But when you /inspect and see zerker gear, are you seeing someone who bought zerker gear because they’d heard it was what the best players wore (and who has no defense skill so will be eating dirt every pull in a Fractal or Explorable), or are you seeing the best player in the game? You don’t know. So what good is /inspect in this game?

Besides, one of the great things about this game is that specs and gear are not trivialized with some best practice and everything else is wrong. There actually are variations, which might be to suit a particular player’s strengths and weaknesses, or might be unique invention a player thinks gives “unfair advantage” so doesn’t want to see the devs rebalancing around. This is why it’s “none of your business”.

/Inspect, in the hands of people of mediocre intelligence, tends to become " is the person running what everyone else does" rather than “does this indicate sufficient ability for the encounter at hand”. This is why /inspect would take away from the game play experience. It would discourage players doing the unique specs+gear which makes GW2 GW2.

Why do I detest “inpect”? let me count the ways…