Why no /inspect ?

Why no /inspect ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: GoddessHrist.8472

GoddessHrist.8472

Except that finding a group of elitists takes far longer than it takes for a group of people to complete the content with less popular builds.

Not to mention the lack of drama by not going with elitists. It’s pretty refreshing.

Depends on the number of runs. If it’s your standard 3 runs and done, then the builds don’t really make a difference. But if you’re doing 30+ runs back-to-back, shaving off a few minutes per run is huge.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: RoChan.1926

RoChan.1926

I guess I should ask more directly… how does gear tell you that I am built for group play?

If your gear contains an inkling of MF, you’re not built for group play.

That’s just one example, others really depend on your class.

Regardless of MF as that everyone knows isn’t group play oriented. You still haven’t answered my question though. You can provide me an example, I’ve got most classes except a necro up to 80 and understand their basics and have taken them into a variety of dungeons so I’m fully aware of what each class can bring to the table in a group setting. Therefore any example you provide me won’t be outside the scope of my understanding if that’s why you didn’t want to answer.

Optee Kaal Allusion | The Evil Empire
[TRY][POV]
“Kitten the yaks, so persistent about everything.” -Ebay

Why no /inspect ?

RoChan.1926

I guess I should ask more directly… how does gear tell you that I am built for group play?

I could write an elaborate post, but the best way to answer your questions is to type two letters : MF.

MF is such a small aspect for such a large request though. Also it’s being proposed in a much larger scope so yes please do an elaborate post. Like Microsoft’s current handling of information, being vague is only doing you more harm than good.

Also don’t bother with MF in explaining this because MF indication can be done in other ways without an inspect feature as well is a minor issue overall to warrant such a huge feature.

[TRY][POV]

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

There you have it, gentlemen. For people who run with a static and/or friends, this is not an issue.

It is an issue when you don’t have any friends playing and it still an issue period. Inspect feature just doesn’t cause elitism it promotes it and further divides the community. It leads to players that are forced to pug to be dictated in changing their build to suit the elitists whim because it thinks its idea of the build is the right one.. Really? According to whom is the build the right one.. Too many elitist have their blinders on and fooling themselves into believing their own bs.. The only good build is the one that is working for you period. There is a reason A-net left inspect gear out and I hope they leave it out. Like I said before my gear is none of your friggin business. If you want to inspect builds and dictate the group go back to wow. Stop ruining this game.

I’m a rebellious kitten and will not be dictated, I will wear what I want.. Enough said.. Have a good day.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

That leads directly tho the only two things necessary on a /inspect:
- MF
- AR

all others are not relevant and lead to elitism.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Another reason this game will never see /inspect is because of the idea of build secrets.

People are saying that skilled players will always run the optimal build- indeed. However, they will be running the best known optimal build.

Lets face it, the majority of players who consider themselves skilled really aren’t so much when it comes to character building and determining stats. They go on the forums, find what others claim to be the best, do a few test runs to make sure the DPS seems solid and run with that. But few sit down and actually figure out for themselves what produces the highest DPS, HPS, etc.

Now the question is… where is the rule that the person who finds the most optimal build must share that build? Sure, it’s a kitten move to keep it yourself, but it is also their right. So that means one of two things happens- either some imbecile who is too unskilled to see to what is going on looks at the dude’s armor and goes “wtf? You aren’t wearing what forums says is the best build layout! You are crap! FAIL! /boot” OR someone who does know what they are doing looks at the armor and then the player’s playstyle, puts 2 and 2 together and has a pretty solid chance at remaking their build.

To some players, neither is acceptable.

Forgetting people who don’t want to be looked down on, even among elitists the idea of the inspect wouldn’t fly. It would really only server 2 purposes- being used by fails to find people to carry them more quickly or it could be used by snoops to steal others’ builds.

Luckily for us, the post has been filled with almost unanimous comments replying “Please no” to /inspect. Arenanet would have to be on something majorly trippy to add it at this point.

(edited by Tolmos.8395)

Why no /inspect ?

RoChan.1926

That leads directly tho the only two things necessary on a /inspect:
- MF
- AR

all others are not relevant and lead to elitism.

Or this information could be displayed in the party window.

[TRY][POV]

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

Oh no, feel free to play whatever you want, you just won’t be in my groups, s’all. No hard feelings and I won’t hold anything against you,

Don’t worry, players like you wouldn’t be worth our time.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Konrad.9587

Konrad.9587

MF is such a small aspect for such a large request though. Also it’s being proposed in a much larger scope so yes please do an elaborate post.

Omitting Magic Find, another example of being not suited for group play is not using certain utilities that in certain cases are crucial for success, using burst weapons and zerker gear while traiting for condition damage and vice versa, using 5 signets as a warrior or using gear and/or traits with odd and randomly mixed attributes regardless of class. You may do this when you are alone, but come on, show some respect and don’t when in a party.

Also don’t bother with MF in explaining this because MF indication can be done in other ways without an inspect feature as well is a minor issue overall to warrant such a huge feature.

Except for sigil of luck, what are those other ways? Even if someone pings a set of gear, he may as well carry two sets and wear the other one.

Don’t worry, players like you wouldn’t be worth our time.

Isn’t it funny? Those againt /inspect are so offensive in their posts.

(edited by Konrad.9587)

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

Tbh, I’d prefer someone in full MF gear but knows the dungeon well enough than a zerker/cleric/pvt/whatever guy who knows nothing about the dungeon and falls flat on the floor every 2 minutes =/ But still, I’m all up for showing AR and MF (at the very least, AR for fractal runs).

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Why no /inspect ?

Tolmos.8395

Isn’t it funny? Those againt /inspect are so offensive in their posts.

Isn’t it funny? Those for being carrie- … for /inspect are so offensive in their posts.

What a pity, I would love to see how someone with such low teamwork sense performs in a party.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’ve said all along that games train people how to play them. Give people the tools to be elitist and they will be elitist. Of course, some people will be elitist no matter what you do, but most people follow the herd.

The community in Guild Wars 2 is better than that of most MMOs. The people the least happy here are griefers, because it’s harder to grief. If you make it harder to grief, most griefers will find other games to play. If you make it hard to be an elitist most elitists will move on. The more the merrier I say.

Why is the Guild Wars 2 community such a good community. Because the game fosters it, particularly in Pve. You’re not fighting each other over kills, or tags, or crafting resources. Everyone gets their own nodes, everyone gets experience, every gets the same rewards for killing something. You don’t roll against people in your party for a single piece of loot. Everyone can rez everyone else. These are all elements that make this game better for players like me, and probably not so great for elitists. We’ve already seen posts of people saying if they do more work/damage they want a higher reward. That’s really what this game is about.

So having the ability to inspect gear won’t happen in this game, because it fosters the very type of player that Anet isn’t interested in courting. It’s one of the things that makes Guild Wars 2 the best MMO for me.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

Tbh, I’d prefer someone in full MF gear but knows the dungeon well enough than a zerker/cleric/pvt/whatever guy who knows nothing about the dungeon and falls flat on the floor every 2 minutes =/ But still, I’m all up for showing AR and MF (at the very least, AR for fractal runs).

This.

I would prefer someone with full mf set too that knows what he’s doing than some player who dies every now and then and spams party chat “Y U NO RES ME!?”

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Why no /inspect ?

RoChan.1926

MF is such a small aspect for such a large request though. Also it’s being proposed in a much larger scope so yes please do an elaborate post.

Omitting Magic Find, another example of being not suited for group play is not using certain utilities that in certain cases are crucial for success, using burst weapons and zerker gear while traiting for condition damage and vice versa, using 5 signets as a warrior or using gear and/or traits with odd and randomly mixed attributes regardless of class.

You still haven’t answered my question though… how does inspecting gear provides that information? You said zerker gear while traiting for condition damage… you’d only see zerker gear. How would you know how they are traited? How would you know that they are carrying the utilities that are needed to provide group play (other than signets) or that they will swap out those utilities later? Weapons can be visible but in the heat of battle you won’t see those either or if they swap out right before a battle. Therefore an inspect gear option is neither helpful to your mentioned information nor is what you are actually looking for.

Except for sigil of luck, what are those other ways? Even if someone pings a set of gear, he may as well carry two sets and wear the other one.

MF or even AR can be proved as a number on the party menu along with the other important party member info. It doesn’t even have to be an icon can be text based showing you the total MF/AR the person currently has making it easier to see. Inspecting gear is a feature with larger repercussions for something that can be easily implemented in other ways. You can suggest other ways instead of just holding onto inspect gear that doesn’t even do what you want it to do as stated above.

[TRY][POV]

(edited by RoChan.1926)

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

/inspect leads to less people lying.

Why no /inspect ?

Tolmos.8395

So does making your IP address visible and forcing you to use your real name in game. Doesn’t mean it’s a good idea…

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Konrad.9587

Konrad.9587

You still haven’t answered my question though… how does inspecting gear provides that information? You said zerker gear while traiting for condition damage… you’d only see zerker gear. How would you know how they are traited? How would you know that they are carrying the utilities that are needed to provide group play (other than signets) or that they will swap out those utilities later? Weapons can be visible but in the heat of battle you won’t see those either or if they swap out right before a battle. Therefore an inspect gear option is neither helpful to your mentioned information nor is what you are actually looking for.

As I see it, /inspect feature gives information about gear, trait and utilities. Similar to PvP Spectator Mode.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

I’m a rebellious kitten and will not be dictated, I will wear what I want.. Enough said.. Have a good day.

Good luck finding groups, good sir. I know for sure you will not be welcome in mine.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

Good luck finding groups, good sir. I know for sure you will not be welcome in mine.

Fine. He/she will be in my group

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Phoenix.7845

Phoenix.7845

I mean look at it…you judge people by a number.

And gear, race, titles, looks or style of play. Didn’t kick anyone because of low achievement score though or because of the race (even asuras).

Then eventually it will be you sitting in the city looking for a group for hours at a time and not finding one. I stand with the rest..

Or I’ll make a post on gw2lfg and find party in 5 minutes. In CoF p1 it is easy, in everything else I haven’t seen a single gearcheck.

Go to gw2lfg – you’ll see tons of “zerker warrior and 1 mesm only” – wth is with that?

Good start

Except that finding a group of elitists takes far longer than it takes for a group of people to complete the content with less popular builds.

We have to be playing a different game then.

Why no /inspect ?

RoChan.1926

As I see it, /inspect feature gives information about gear, trait and utilities. Similar to PvP Spectator Mode.

Ah I see. That does provide all the necessary information except one: is it conductive to group play?

We could argue that if you know all the classes well enough you could determine if someone is or isn’t bringing something to the group in their set up. However most people barely understand their own class before trying to understand another player’s class let alone all the classes. I still get taught something new by other players from time to time and I like to think I know all my classes inside and out. Also there are many classes that need to build towards more selfish areas to be effective i.e. my zerker thief does better in some instances than my venom share/support thief (no one ever expects the thief to heal or provide 6 to 9 stacks of might) yet both have done well in many dungeons. Likewise some people feel a sword on a thief is not very good overall or a scepter/torch on a mesmer yet I can use them both creatively to tank/support along side the cookie cutter zerker mesmer build. BTW just dropping this in just in case someone brings it up a zerker warrior is just as selfish as a signet warrior, the only difference is that sometimes the zerker warrior may equip 1 or 2 group utilities.

Also creates the idea of “The One Build” for each class that is a community created meta ala 4 zerk wars and 1 mes even though I’ve had a ranger not only DPS bosses faster than the zerk war but also take out the gate in about as fast as my theif. I’ve also had an amazing ele running the cookie cutter build w/ staff dps school me. This also helps to foster this idea in the community that if you’re not running with the current then you have no idea what you are doing. This creates even more boring build diversities than we currently have atm and stagnates the game.

[TRY][POV]

Why no /inspect ?

Phoenix.7845

I’ve had a ranger not only DPS bosses faster than the zerk war but also take out the gate in about as fast as my theif.

Did he use a bow?

Why no /inspect ?

Iehova.9518

I’ve had a ranger not only DPS bosses faster than the zerk war but also take out the gate in about as fast as my theif.

So you played with horrible warriors and thieves. We all did.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Jaall.3420

Jaall.3420

I love how a lot of the people saying inspect is a good idea say that you need full zerk gear with the optimum builds to be most efficient and that it’s “respectful” to do so because you have to consider others in the group. Is it just me or is kicking a guy because he/she isn’t amazing, like you claim to be, extremely disrespectful in it’s own right?

Also playing full zerker build does not mean you are a group player, and in a way means the opposite. You’re sacrificing the ability to stay alive to do as much damage as you can with the typical dps meter mentality, but without the meter. I would bet that the high majority of players who want the inspect feature would also want a dps meter. Can’t help but think they’d be better off in WoW.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Not asking about someone’s gear leads to NO ONE lying. lol3

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Sovta.4719

Sovta.4719

Because builds don’t equal skill. And in PVe, even if my build isn’t a “standard” build, it works quite well for me.

In Guild Wars 1, people used to ask me to ping my build, after which they wouldn’t accept me in their groups. So I’d go solo the content with heroes, come back and wave at them, trying to build their group.

A lot more people out there think they have a clue than actually have one.

Same. It’s so funny to see people looking for elitist groups only. We wanted to do COF123 with guildies and needed one more. A mesmer begged for invite and when he saw engi, ranger, necro and guardian, he left. He was still there after our 3 runs.

Yea, cause we all now how hard is to find farm group as mesmer. C’mon, at least stop lying on forums if you want your argument to be valid.

Why no /inspect ?

Phoenix.7845

I love how a lot of the people saying inspect is a good idea say that you need full zerk gear with the optimum builds to be most efficient and that it’s “respectful” to do so because you have to consider others in the group. Is it just me or is kicking a guy because he/she isn’t amazing, like you claim to be, extremely disrespectful in it’s own right?

Most people advertise that they want full zerker people, so if someone comes and isn’t one they have the right to kick him and it isn’t wrong. People just need to remember about posting all the requirements so that a person wanting to join knows what to expect.

Also playing full zerker build does not mean you are a group player, and in a way means the opposite. You’re sacrificing the ability to stay alive to do as much damage as you can

When you have a good zerker party the mobs die too fast to actually kill something. I had some 2 mes/3 war parties where effigy died in 2 timewarps – you don’t care about survival with such people.

Why no /inspect ?

RoChan.1926

Did he use a bow?

Yes and no. He was clearly a skirmisher with short bow and greatsword;sword/dagger (he’d switch between them at times). The gate went down instantly but I didn’t see what he used on it. I was so impressed I didn’t ask him just complimented him.

So you played with horrible warriors and thieves. We all did.

You are being unclear at to what you are insinuating. I neither said I did or did not play with good or bad thieves/warriors and that I was the thief (unless you are saying that I am a bad thief). I’ve been in the ping gear $$$$ groups quite a few times and there have been warriors that take the bosses/gate down quickly but no one could rival that ranger. He was a beast who knew his class and how to play it well. Also I said as my thief not other thieves who originally showed me just how fast they can burst the gate down. I have played with both good and bad warriors/thieves however I’ve played with more classes outside of the ‘meta’ set that have proven to be more effective. What I was show casing is that leaving the power up to the community has proven that they don’t know how to use that power correctly as they often operate under assumptions that are often untrue.

[TRY][POV]

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I have no good words for those who require “berserker/exotic/ascended ping gear” when doing runs. It is a game not some kitten heart surgery where you need everything and everyone perfect.

This…

Because builds don’t equal skill. And in PVe, even if my build isn’t a “standard” build, it works quite well for me.

In Guild Wars 1, people used to ask me to ping my build, after which they wouldn’t accept me in their groups. So I’d go solo the content with heroes, come back and wave at them, trying to build their group.

And this…..

Because my gear is none of your frigging business.

And so this….

Because people will use it to demand you have the right build, which is stupid. We should be able to use whatever build we want. Being able to turn it off doesn’t help either because they will simply require you to turn it on.

And this…

it’ll lead to elitism.

And sadly, we’re already to this…
To wrap it all up… Skill > Gear / Build. Just because someone isn’t specced how you THINK they should be specced doesn’t automatically mean they suck, aren’t good enough, wtfe. It means that they play how they want to play, and if it works for them, that’s all that should matter. We are more than just the gear we wear, the traits we spec, and the weapon we bring. Good players could do it naked. Been there, done that. Moving on…..

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Why no /inspect ?

Sovta.4719

I have no good words for those who require “berserker/exotic/ascended ping gear” when doing runs. It is a game not some kitten heart surgery where you need everything and everyone perfect.

This…

And this…..

Because my gear is none of your frigging business.

And so this….

Because people will use it to demand you have the right build, which is stupid. We should be able to use whatever build we want. Being able to turn it off doesn’t help either because they will simply require you to turn it on.

And this…

it’ll lead to elitism.

And sadly, we’re already to this…
To wrap it all up… Skill > Gear / Build. Just because someone isn’t specced how you THINK they should be specced doesn’t automatically mean they suck, aren’t good enough, wtfe. It means that they play how they want to play, and if it works for them, that’s all that should matter. We are more than just the gear we wear, the traits we spec, and the weapon we bring. Good players could do it naked. Been there, done that. Moving on…..

Guardian without wall of reflection in fotm 30+ (or any) is not skill, MF warrior in CoF farming is not skill, ranger/thief/ele dying (not downed) once every 3-4 min is not skill. If you are not skilled go with soldier gear, after you learn switch to zerker (or else) for more DPS. Eventually if you are really skilled you will go full DPS (with some defensive traits if needed) So it is skill>gear but you need gear in order to get to that skill.

Why no /inspect ?

RoChan.1926

Guardian without wall of reflection in fotm 30+ (or any) is not skill, MF warrior in CoF farming is not skill, ranger/thief/ele dying (not downed) once every 3-4 min is not skill. If you are not skilled go with soldier gear, after you learn switch to zerker (or else) for more DPS. Eventually if you are really skilled you will go full DPS (with some defensive traits if needed) So it is skill>gear but you need gear in order to get to that skill.

I see you’ve never seen an ele tank before. :P DPS isn’t the end all to be all in every dungeon so it’s not the one and only solution people make it out to be.

[TRY][POV]

Why no /inspect ?

Sovta.4719

I see you’ve never seen an ele tank before. :P DPS isn’t the end all to be all in every dungeon so it’s not the one and only solution people make it out to be.

I play ele tank in pvp, what would they bring so good in dungeons?

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Jaall.3420

Jaall.3420

Most people advertise that they want full zerker people, so if someone comes and isn’t one they have the right to kick him and it isn’t wrong. People just need to remember about posting all the requirements so that a person wanting to join knows what to expect.

Also playing full zerker build does not mean you are a group player, and in a way means the opposite. You’re sacrificing the ability to stay alive to do as much damage as you can

When you have a good zerker party the mobs die too fast to actually kill something. I had some 2 mes/3 war parties where effigy died in 2 timewarps – you don’t care about survival with such people.

I have no problem with kicking when advertising for zerk only, but only if you specify that first. I just find it funny that people imply they kick people in any group because they aren’t zerk-built and then talk about respect. If you do indeed ask only for zerk all the time and that is the only time you’ve kicked people then I’m fine with that, but why do you need an inspect option just for that?

Also yes that is the typical zerk attitude, but I’ve spent a lot of time getting zerker warriors or guardians up because they didn’t dodge in time or just simply had a massive lack of hp. It does take skill on top of that if you cannot kill quick enough, and if you can’t kill quick enough where does the blame lie if you have 4 identical players and a mesmer? A gear inspect tool won’t fix anything only make it easier to be a jerk .

Why no /inspect ?

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I never said that it was true in EVERY case. However, there are PLENTY of players that seemingly have crap gear, or a crap build, that are actually awesome players. Simply being able to ‘inspect’ someone’s gear/traits/build is not going to tell you if they are good or not, period. Judge not the book by it’s cover

Guardian without wall of reflection in fotm 30+ (or any) is not skill – and i bet there are those that take it and STILL suck

MF warrior in CoF farming is not skill – Gimmick builds so you can face roll don’t denote skill either. Just means you can follow a 1-2-3 template and are trainable.

ranger/thief/ele dying once every 3-4 min is not skill – true, but in a lot of these instances, even gear wouldn’t help them…. these people fall into 1 of several categories:
a) genuinely terrible players (they do exist, but aren’t really that numerous. most quit)
b) still playing under the assumption that some healer is going to save their kitten
c) haven’t quite got their class or the mechanics down
d) could be their first time through specific content, which (for some) tends to mean higher casualties
With the exception of A, this doesn’t mean that they are bad players necessarily. Also doesn’t mean that slapping them in another gear type would help either.

So it is skill>gear but you need gear in order to get to that skill – lol tell that to the people that have done the dungeons naked to prove that they were too easy (after the changes)….. Wonder if I can still find that youtube vid…

Why no /inspect ?

Sovta.4719

I never said that it was true in EVERY case. However, there are PLENTY of players that seemingly have crap gear, or a crap build, that are actually awesome players.

How are they awesome? Only reason to “seemingly” have crap gear or a crap build is if i want some challenge, but then i don’t want to bring my whole PuG down cause of it. Challenge brought by content – Yes
Challenge brought by players (not including pvp ofc) – No

Why no /inspect ?

RoChan.1926

Without elaborating too much, you can fulfill the holy trinity if you grab the right people.

==========

Oh and one more thing. Those ping gear $$$$ groups I was in was often not by my own design. I was a mesmer looking for a group and grabbed up to run with the warriors. Not once was I ever asked to ping my gear and had they I probably would been kicked out as at the time I was in those groups I was in all greens. Yet, amazingly, the groups never felt as if I was a burned on them as I was always complimented/asked to do more runs/asked by groups into runs many times. Imagine my skill as a mesmer over ruled my gear, especially my unique ways of spiking the last boss (which happens now more often in more mesmers). Gear isn’t a measure of skill, nor traits. It’s only a small portion of it and relying on some notion that it must be ‘this or GTFO’ limits your ability to meet some incredibly skilled players.

[TRY][POV]

Why no /inspect ?

LanfearShadowflame.3189

How are they awesome? Only reason to “seemingly” have crap gear or a crap build is if i want some challenge, but then i don’t want to bring my whole PuG down cause of it. Challenge brought by content – Yes
Challenge brought by players (not including pvp ofc) – No

Because it works for them and they make it through the content without feeling the need to upgrade? Why the heck would you make it easier? Again with the facerolling. This is a game, you play it for the enjoyment. We don’t all ‘conform’ just because some idiot thinks we should.

Once again skill > gear / build. A GOOD player can make ANY armor and ANY build work. (Even the crappiest ones) Efficiency is not the be all, end all, of game play.

Why no /inspect ?

Sovta.4719

Without elaborating too much, you can fulfill the holy trinity if you grab the right people.

Elaborate too much, i wanna see it. I know you mean fulfill healer and just lol.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Wiser with Age.3714

Wiser with Age.3714

If GW2 was the kind of game that dropped unique pieces of loot that had custom stats and only dropped through RNG at specific areas, then I could understand having /inspect in the game. Over the years that I played in EQ2, I found the inspect option to be very interesting since it sometimes provoked some very interesting conversations. When I saw a piece of gear that I was unaware of, I often sent the wearer a PM to ask where it dropped from. Or if they were wearing something rather unorthodox, I would often get into a conversation about why they chose to use that item. The exchange of different perspectives was usually pretty interesting and it helped me to refine my own gear build philosophies.

However that same kind of thing just doesn’t work in GW2. We can PM each other and asking about gear appearances since the rarer ones tend to deal with the RNG systems, but we can make about anything in this game. In this game, we don’t have to scavenger hunt all over the place for the right pieces of gear. Instead we just craft whatever we want, and equip ourselves accordingly.

We are Test Group F. (Don’t ask about what happened to the previous Test Groups.)

Why no /inspect ?

RoChan.1926

Elaborate too much, i wanna see it. I know you mean fulfill healer and just lol.

No the ele was the tank and I was the support role on my zerker mesmer with the other 3 classes DPSing along side us somewhat smacking the boss. The only thing I couldn’t do was heal the ele but they were able to do it on themselves. As to how they were tanking, I would google TERA warrior tanks to get an idea of how it was visually. They were evading side to side and when they saw I switched to support role buffing their boon production/condition removal and keeping them from getting hit by projectiles, they trusted me more with letting me do that so that they could use their dodges effectively. Because the other 3 classes (I can’t even remember what they were atm though I do remember 1 was a warrior) didn’t have the aggro and benefited from my reflects, they could just smack the boss without having to stop to heal damage or dodge out of it except for any aoe condition damage and even then that got nulled too because of my null field and the ele’s dagger 5. We pretty much collectively, without speaking, worked as one team in the traditional roles, tank/support/dps to take down the boss quickly and efficiently. That’s why I said you can potentially do the holy trinity as long as you grab the right people. I was in a PUG but you can build this team set up.

[TRY][POV]

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Zoldyck.6241

Zoldyck.6241

After 4 pages all i can say is that…

For those who feel that there is a “requirement” to join your party based on gear alone, I hope that someday you will be discriminated for something in real life to understand the other side’s point of view and hopefully learn from it.

Why no /inspect ?

Sovta.4719

No the ele was the tank and I was the support role on my zerker mesmer with the other 3 classes DPSing along side us somewhat smacking the boss. The only thing I couldn’t do was heal the ele but they were able to do it on themselves. As to how they were tanking, I would google TERA warrior tanks to get an idea of how it was visually. They were evading side to side and when they saw I switched to support role buffing their boon production/condition removal and keeping them from getting hit by projectiles, they trusted me more with letting me do that so that they could use their dodges effectively. Because the other 3 classes (I can’t even remember what they were atm though I do remember 1 was a warrior) didn’t have the aggro and benefited from my reflects, they could just smack the boss without having to stop to heal damage or dodge out of it except for any aoe condition damage and even then that got nulled too because of my null field and the ele’s dagger 5. We pretty much collectively, without speaking, worked as one team in the traditional roles, tank/support/dps to take down the boss quickly and efficiently. That’s why I said you can potentially do the holy trinity as long as you grab the right people. I was in a PUG but you can build this team set up.

So they tanked but you REFFLECTed projectiles for them? Pretty good, so much better then guardian tank i admit.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I am very glad there is no /inspect command. It’s nobody’s business what gear I run, which runes I choose, how I spec my character, or anything else.

I won’t run dungeon’s who insist I ping gear. I don’t want to explain to someone why I chose (for example, a cavalier amulet over a beserker one).

I definitely don’t want to have to listen to a “helpful” person explain to me how it’s the best way to add critical damage is to get beserker pants.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Too many casuals will probably disagree with this.

It’s much better to remain hidden and not talk; not contribute. Especially when you’re wearing terrible equipment; specced into the worst traits and using the worst utilities.

Why no /inspect ?

LanfearShadowflame.3189

It’s much better to remain hidden and not talk; not contribute. Especially when you’re wearing terrible equipment; specced into the worst traits and using the worst utilities.

lol yup

Because the ‘elitists’ know exactly how we should play. What class we should roll, what traits to take, what weapon (down to the specific skin even) that we should be using, what gear should be worn – down to the insignia and runes.

Oh yeah, I love having someone else dictate how I play my character.

No thanks.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

lol yup

Because the ‘elitists’ know exactly how we should play. What class we should roll, what traits to take, what weapon (down to the specific skin even) that we should be using, what gear should be worn – down to the insignia and runes.

Oh yeah, I love having someone else dictate how I play my character.

No thanks.

The feeling is mutual my friend; believe me.

I don’t like playing with people that choose abilities because they look nice or the color of the butterflies matches their dress.

Why no /inspect ?

Iehova.9518

It’s nobody’s business what gear I run, which runes I choose, how I spec my character, or anything else.

In open world, yes. In a group, no.

I won’t run dungeon’s who insist I ping gear. I don’t want to explain to someone why I chose (for example, a cavalier amulet over a beserker one).

Enjoy your 1-hour paths, my good man.

I definitely don’t want to have to listen to a “helpful” person explain to me how it’s the best way to add critical damage is to get beserker pants.

So basically what you’re saying is “up yours buddy, you’re carrying me whether you like it or not”. Good luck finding groups with that attitude.

Why no /inspect ?

LanfearShadowflame.3189

The feeling is mutual my friend; believe me.

I don’t like playing with people that choose abilities because they look nice or the color of the butterflies matches their dress.

I don’t think I’ve ever run into anyone that picked skills for those particular reasons… Although, in GW1, I did run into an E/R that to this day, I share his skill bar just for the laugh.

But, in regards to GW2, for those that are going to fail that spectacularly, no build or armor could possible help them…ever. They could be speced exactly as desired, and still be nothing more than minion fodder (figuratively speaking, since we don’t actually need bodies for minions anymore -scowl-).

Yet, at the same time you could have taken someone in say…all rare armor of appropriate level, had a blast because they are a cool person, and still get through the content.

An inspect command isn’t going to give you that information. All an inspect command is going to do is make you more inclined to take person A over person B because they are geared/speced appropriately to your narrow view of ‘correctness’

Disclaimer – ‘you’ is used in the general sense. Not specifically aimed at individual poster.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

It’s nobody’s business what gear I run, which runes I choose, how I spec my character, or anything else.

In open world, yes. In a group, no.

Enjoy your 1-hour paths, my good man.

So basically what you’re saying is “up yours buddy, you’re carrying me whether you like it or not”. Good luck finding groups with that attitude.

I really need to remember to be very explicit. I don’t have 1 hour runs (can COF even take that long). I just don’t need 6 minute runs. Any class set / build combination can faceroll COF (path 1 of course) in 10 minutes. But if a dungeon takes an hour, that’s cool, as long as everyone is calm about it.

Also, beserker pants are the absolute worst way to add critical damage to your character (tied with the mask). If you want to go full zerker you should have zerker pants but if you want anything else (for example, if you WvW) then pants and the mask are the first things you should swap out.

I used this as an example of where someone who doesn’t know what they are talking about will insist that they do.

Finally, I suspect that in a group what will happen is .. join, /inspect, kick. No explanation, to attempt to help someone out. After all, that would slow down the gold / hour.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

(edited by TooBz.3065)

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: MakersMark.8420

MakersMark.8420

I don’t do “speed” runs and I don’t see GW2 adding any content difficult enough to require “gear inspections”. FOTM is the closest with AR but you can always tell about what lvl someone is once you’re playing and even then it’s not that big of a deal if they’re a good player.

I would uninstall before joining 24hr lol zerkwar only speedrunz for cash. Nothing against that, just not my cup of tea. I wouldn’t be against the option of a voluntary gear inspection option (say when in party or private chat), but don’t really want ppl randomly walking buy to inspect me. I’ve always found that odd in other MMOs.