Why no /inspect ?

Why no /inspect ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

The feeling is mutual my friend; believe me.

I don’t like playing with people that choose abilities because they look nice or the color of the butterflies matches their dress.

I don’t think I’ve ever run into anyone that picked skills for those particular reasons… Although, in GW1, I did run into an E/R that to this day, I share his skill bar just for the laugh.

But, in regards to GW2, for those that are going to fail that spectacularly, no build or armor could possible help them…ever. They could be speced exactly as desired, and still be nothing more than minion fodder (figuratively speaking, since we don’t actually need bodies for minions anymore -scowl-).

Yet, at the same time you could have taken someone in say…all rare armor of appropriate level, had a blast because they are a cool person, and still get through the content.

An inspect command isn’t going to give you that information. All an inspect command is going to do is make you more inclined to take person A over person B because they are geared/speced appropriately to your narrow view of ‘correctness’

Disclaimer – ‘you’ is used in the general sense. Not specifically aimed at individual poster.

We all play for different reasons. Some of these reasons change on the same day. Sometimes I want to play to win; other times I want to laugh with friends. When I play to win I expect the best. I don’t expect to carry dead weight on my shoulders.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Would inspect even make it any worse?

There are already players with specific requirements and gear-check. Current game already supports that kind of behavior. With inspect they could pre-kick more effectively meaning some people wouldn’t get kicked mid-run.

Then there are players who want good players but can’t be bothered with gear-checks. If stuff doesn’t go smoothly people will get kicked mid-run. Inspect would allow seeing these problems earlier (it’s not really rocket science).

Then there are players who want some decent players but don’t care that much. They may have to kick people who aren’t just pulling their weight. Again inspect would allow figuring these problems earlier.

Then there are people who don’t care at all and nothing would change.

Yes, more people would get kicked pre-run. But also less people would get kicked mid-run saving lots of frustration.
Would it be so bad if you could easily figure out people you want to play with?

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

We all play for different reasons.

/Agree

Some of these reasons change on the same day.

Lol yup, can /agree there too

Sometimes I want to play to win; other times I want to laugh with friends.

Sill on the same page here…

When I play to win I expect the best. I don’t expect to carry dead weight on my shoulders.

An inspect command isn’t going to help you here.

Like I said, you could take someone with exactly the gear/build/whatever that you want, and still fail miserably.

Just because someone chooses a different option does not make them ‘dead weight’ just like someone that specs exactly as expected could be dead more than alive, and therefore dead weight. /inspect is not going to solve your problem.

Edit: I guess I should also point out that it didn’t really solve the problem in GW1 either. Just lead to a lot of discrimination and overall kitten-head attitudes.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Abhor.5602

Abhor.5602

I would only want it to bash on people bringing MF gear to dungeons.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

15characters o.o

Attachments:

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s nobody’s business what gear I run, which runes I choose, how I spec my character, or anything else.

In open world, yes. In a group, no.

I won’t run dungeon’s who insist I ping gear. I don’t want to explain to someone why I chose (for example, a cavalier amulet over a beserker one).

Enjoy your 1-hour paths, my good man.

I definitely don’t want to have to listen to a “helpful” person explain to me how it’s the best way to add critical damage is to get beserker pants.

So basically what you’re saying is “up yours buddy, you’re carrying me whether you like it or not”. Good luck finding groups with that attitude.

I find groups all the time with that attitude. And no one carries me, because I wouldn’t team with a min/maxer or an efficiency nut. So no one has to carry me. I’ve often carried other people and that’s completely fine. I don’t mind helping out.

It’s one of the best things about being in a community.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

ITT: people not understanding the big leeway between not taking people with kittened builds and ‘OMFG, Zerker or GTFO, $$$$$ yolo swag’.

After 4 pages all i can say is that…

For those who feel that there is a “requirement” to join your party based on gear alone, I hope that someday you will be discriminated for something in real life to understand the other side’s point of view and hopefully learn from it.

Except, that in real life, if you’re doing something as a group, and you deliberately cripple your group by being either a solo player (signet warriors) or just being absolutely no real addition to the group (cleric gear), just because it’s how you roll, I’m pretty sure the group has a right to discriminate against you.

If you get picked for a basketball team, and you refuse to pass the ball, because it’s ‘your playstyle’ or you just hoover next to another one of your teammates, never really moving so you can be a meaningful player, they’re in their kitten ed right to kick you and find a better player.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

I find groups all the time with that attitude. And no one carries me, because I wouldn’t team with a min/maxer or an efficiency nut. So no one has to carry me. I’ve often carried other people and that’s completely fine. I don’t mind helping out.

Good for you. I personally wouldn’t take you in, though.

Why no /inspect ?

penatbater.4710

All the people Iehova wouldn’t take, party with me and my fabulous quip!

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: TheUndefined.1720

TheUndefined.1720

I try to avoid this topic, because it seems /inspect has joined the ranks of politics and religion when it comes to public posting on MMO forums.

Still, I’d like to raise a point.

The /inspect function has not been added at all in the game for PvE. The game has run completely fine without it. Why add it?

For those arguing about the MF armor,

How do you even know MF armor is affecting your group when you cannot be sure anyone is even wearing it? Could the reason a run is ‘failing’ not be that the group’s skill just isn’t upto par with the content?

If you’re in a bad group, do you stick with the group or leave to find another one?

If you have managed to play the game successfully without /inspect, how do you know it is going to make your game better with it?

These are more rhetorical questions to help reflect on the issue. Of course, if you want the /inspect function there is nothing either I or anyone else can say to help illustrate our opposing opinions.

(edited by TheUndefined.1720)

Why no /inspect ?

penatbater.4710

Just to add: there is also the inclination to blame someone of their gear rather than of their skill when a group goes bad. =/

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

See, you’ve been able to determine at least three people you don’t want to group with and you did it without an /inspect command.

I think that with the current lack of a dungeon finder and the ability to say “LF1M ZERK WARR PRO FARM$$$$$$$$ ping plz” an /inspect command isn’t necessary.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

Because is not needed.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: iFocus.3781

iFocus.3781

/inspect would be used by people who suffer from the Dunning-Kruger effect (incompetent people that not only fail to realize their own incompetence, but consider themselves much more competent than everyone else) more so than anyone else. Those with more than a pea for brains know that the game is relying on timing, awareness, creativity and the ability to work well under pressure.

Based off my own observation:
I had a group running CoF. Me and two guildies ran with MF gear. We did die a few times due to one player being fresh on the dungeon and not knowing the routine. The funny thing is, the last player, an elitist, started QQ about the wipes and started talking down on the new guy (mainly), rather than helping him understand the mechanics. After kicking this poor, incompetent worthless piece of skritt dirt, we actually managed to get the right spirit in the group and complete it a lot faster and without dying.

(edited by iFocus.3781)

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

I come from a background of playing MMOs with inspect features being standard, so i was surprised GW2 didn’t have it.

That being said, i think it would be a cool addition.

I often see people with cool gear or something i hadn’t seen before so it would be nice to inspect and check it out.

On a personal note, i got called out for being a noob in CoF, specifically because of my gear. Although i have full exotics, the’yre mostly transmuted into blues/green aesthetics, so i could see how someone would make that mistake. If there was an inspect that probably wouldn’t have happened.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Would inspect even make a difference?

Let’s say, I have two sets of armour, identical looks. One is full MF, the other is, let’s say, as that seems to be hot, berserker. I wear my berserker armour pre-run. You inspect, see that I wear that “good” armour. But once we get in the dungeon, I swap into my MF armour. You won’t see the difference as they are identical…

Personally, I don’t care about that inspect. I don’t PUG anyway (mostly because most unknown people I’ve come across are one of those min/maxers, while I’m a average type of girl…

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Sovta.4719

Sovta.4719

Too many casuals will probably disagree with this.

It’s much better to remain hidden and not talk; not contribute. Especially when you’re wearing terrible equipment; specced into the worst traits and using the worst utilities.

lol yup

Because the ‘elitists’ know exactly how we should play. What class we should roll, what traits to take, what weapon (down to the specific skin even) that we should be using, what gear should be worn – down to the insignia and runes.

Oh yeah, I love having someone else dictate how I play my character.

No thanks.

You don’t have to be elite to tell that some build is bad, you just need brain.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I think opt-in inspect would be nice, but then I guess people would demand it anyways.

Although most of you need to drop the moral high ground. I find cleric gear to be lulz too but don’t go on some moralistic rampage about how if one isn’t min-maxing then they are hurting the group because only berserker gear people can be selflessly benefiting their group. What you should say is that people in MF/cleric gear are hurting YOU and YOUR interests. Which is fine, and would be far more honest.

My opinion is that you should not join speedrunning groups with non-dps gear. But where does it end? Will full ascended be a requirement now?

Although I have to ask people. Are all people that don’t play the chosen classes in PvE untermensch that should be excluded and selfish because they want to play their own way and drag everyone else down?

It’s pretty laughable. If this were a competitive situation I would care, but this is just PvE lol. What exactly does faster accumulation of gold do in this game? Is the world going to turn off if you make 20 gold less? And if you were really that determined to grind out legendaries, then I would think in all that time they’d you’d find some time to run an organized group to run with at most times. If not, I think that’s pretty inefficient play in an MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER ONLINE rpg, no?

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

This issue has already been addressed:

/inspect would be used by people who suffer from the Dunning-Kruger effect (incompetent people that not only fail to realize their own incompetence, but consider themselves much more competent than everyone else) more so than anyone else.

Basically, there are many people that are actually bad at the game, don’t know it, but insist on trying to force others to do it their way (since they are self appointed experts). If it is not some cookie cutter build from some random internet guide, several of this vocal minority that want an inspect function are basically too incompetent and rude to give it a second glance.

There is already enough cookie cutters running around, do we really need more incentives for forcing people into cookie cutter builds? Additionally as was also mentioned earlier ITT, some people like to keep their exact builds a bit of a secret. Also, if you are good enough at the game, you can basically tell what someone’s build is simply by observing them in action.

Why no /inspect ?

Surbrus.6942

And if you were really that determined to grind out legendaries, then I would think in all that time they’d you’d find some time to run an organized group to run with at most times.

You know the funny thing about this is (grind for legendarily in CoF)? The CoF farmers are basically the unproductive leeches of the GW2 economy. The only thing that they produce is gold (inflation) and Molten Cores/Lodestones, and they use the gold they introduce to simply purchase the actual mats from those other players who actually are the ones producing the mats that they need.

Why no /inspect ?

TooBz.3065

It’s much better to remain hidden and not talk; not contribute. Especially when you’re wearing terrible equipment; specced into the worst traits and using the worst utilities.

lol yup

Because the ‘elitists’ know exactly how we should play. What class we should roll, what traits to take, what weapon (down to the specific skin even) that we should be using, what gear should be worn – down to the insignia and runes.

Oh yeah, I love having someone else dictate how I play my character.

No thanks.

The problem isn’t that some builds are bad. The problem is that some people think that there is only one BUILD and all the others are bad.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Konrad.9587

Konrad.9587

The problem isn’t that people don’t use the only one right build (I don’t agree with ‘zerker or gtfo’ approach btw), the problem is that in group play people use just plain bad builds unsuited for any kind of teamwork and cooperation and see nothing wrong with it.

Why no /inspect ?

Sovta.4719

And if you were really that determined to grind out legendaries, then I would think in all that time they’d you’d find some time to run an organized group to run with at most times.

You know the funny thing about this is (grind for legendarily in CoF)? The CoF farmers are basically the unproductive leeches of the GW2 economy. The only thing that they produce is gold (inflation) and Molten Cores/Lodestones, and they use the gold they introduce to simply purchase the actual mats from those other players who actually are the ones producing the mats that they need.

It’s TP flippers, not CoF farmers.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

We have enough elitism in cof already. “OMG A RARE BACKPACK NOT EXOTIC ROFL!” We don’t need that.
If you don’t trust a person with his/her gear, just get some friend/guild.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

90% of the time, when I see someone boot someone because of their gear, the sub-par skills of the person doing the booting is the main reason we lost.
instead of /inspect for gear, an /inspect for win % or survivability or how well you’ve performed might actually help.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Good for you. The feeling is 100% mutual. Fortunately, the guild I’m in isn’t elitist and some people just aren’t good enough players and yes, we carry them.

It doesn’t hurt anyone.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Guns and Giblets.9308

Guns and Giblets.9308

If you join my party, it is my business, because I will have to make up for your bad gear.

Let me assure you, I have no interest in even being on the same server as you.

The arrogance is overwhelming.

“A soft answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.” -Jewish Proverb

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Guns and Giblets.9308

Guns and Giblets.9308

Perhaps the most ironic thing in this thread is all the anti-elitist elitism.

“A soft answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.” -Jewish Proverb

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

I’m a rebellious kitten and will not be dictated, I will wear what I want.. Enough said.. Have a good day.

Good luck finding groups, good sir. I know for sure you will not be welcome in mine.

Like I said before… Don’t worry your kind and your group isn’t worthy of my time.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Why no /inspect ?

Eladriel.7295

Because people that use Mf don’t want to be inspected. This is biggest reason in my opinion.

Excuse me? But this post is total bs and proves you don’t know what the heck you are talking about…. I don’t use MF except for food buffs and I sure in the hell don’t want inspect. And I have already given my reasons on it. Good day!

Why no /inspect ?

Eladriel.7295

A mesmer begged for invite and when he saw engi, ranger, necro and guardian, he left. He was still there after our 3 runs.

Perhaps he did 6 runs in the meantime and simply took a break?

My gear is none of your friggin business.

Another fine example of not understanding the difference between solo play and group play.

Dude I could care less! When I create a group it is for fun and fun only. It’s not to analyze this or that.. Max this or that whatever the freak else.. And I’m sure in the hell not your puppet and you are not my dictator.. I run my own builds and wear my own armor if you don’t like it.. gtfo… I remember this is a game not a freakin job. I already have a lame job, don’t need another one. It’s something you people seem to have forgotten. And Wow is back that way…….

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Firefly.5982

Firefly.5982

I am SO glad, there is no /inspect.
I hate people copying looks. I hate people copying stats and builds. And I hate elitists who STILL think, they need a certain kind of gear set up and nothing else to succeed in whatever they are LFGing for.

Just because someone has the ‘right’ set up for your taste, does not mean they can play. I have been with countless zerker warriors, who just die all the time and contribute nothing. Rather than looking for people with the right gear, try looking for experienced people only, LFG for people that know what they are doing and if you doubt them, ask them a specific question that would prove their worth to you.

Partying with randoms is ALWAYS a risk. Nothing will ever change that. If you don’t want the risk, make your party search as specific as possible – or party with guildies/people you know only. Problem solved.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Well it’s true to some degree, but it’s hard for me to really say much because none of us are under any obligation to contribute anything. That, and because open world loot is not very good, I can’t really blame anyone for running CoF either.

The only wrong is when people consider the game as they play it to be the only way to play. This to me includes people that impose themselves on other, demanding only the best PPC gear or those that do not cooperate with others, such as joining a speedrun with MF gear.

Although I have to say. I know berserker gear greatly benefits Warriors who have an inherently high health pool, but it seems to me when people say that, that it sorta ignores many of the other professions. Is berserker the best for all?

Personally, I have no trouble admitting I am a selfish jerk that wants things my way. It may seem to be the same thing, but in reality, I don’t think I’m inherently entitled to better treatment. And truth is, pushing inspect on all, comes across as valuing your part of the game above others.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Mepheles.2087

Mepheles.2087

With all this arguing over one tiny feature, I doubt Anet will ever put it in…. People will ultimately abuse this like GearScore was abused… But come on. Honestly, it’s a useless feature that the game has done fine without, and someone brings it up many months later, and people are quick to take sides against eachother… obviously it isn’t in the game for a reason.

Gates of Madness

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

what’s the point of being worried of people wearing magic find in dungeons when you are never killing trash mobs and just speed running from boss to boss to open a chest that isn’t affected by magic find?
there are only couple of dungeon worthing magic find and they are all in fractals (dredge only in corridors, shaman (only the first part), the svanir (only in the dark forest), the ascalon assault, the jade maw… you can all be magic finder there and nobody is going to die.

that said i won’t allow you to inspect me. and not because i’m wearing magic find or have something to hide, but because i know what i’m doing with my gear and stats, and i presume you do the same, so i won’t bother asking you if you are doing well even if we are of same profession i’m not asking you to play like i do.
the only thing you should inform your party is if you are a first timer at certain content (good luck explaining to people who won’t listen or understand but will not tell you they didn’t).

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Would inspect even make a difference?

Let’s say, I have two sets of armour, identical looks. One is full MF, the other is, let’s say, as that seems to be hot, berserker. I wear my berserker armour pre-run. You inspect, see that I wear that “good” armour. But once we get in the dungeon, I swap into my MF armour. You won’t see the difference as they are identical…

Personally, I don’t care about that inspect. I don’t PUG anyway (mostly because most unknown people I’ve come across are one of those min/maxers, while I’m a average type of girl…

Yeah you could do that. However, doing quick inspect mid-run when something feels wrong would quickly solve the issue.

Personally I would like to have it as a learning tool. See what kind of builds smooth groups use and vice versa.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Zyphent.2967

Zyphent.2967

Why do people feel the need to see everything?

I have no good words for those who require “berserker/exotic/ascended ping gear” when doing runs. It is a game not some kitten heart surgery where you need everything and everyone perfect.

Because if they want to get to a point where they add actually challenging content to the game, people’s gear should matter, and the group should be able to see if you’re wearing blue shoulders, yet trying to get into a dungeon thats tuned for people in full ascended (keep in mind this is a future scenario).

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I play my character the way I want, and if that means you don’t want to play with me … I got over that in kindergarten. Twenty-five years later, I don’t care if people want me in their little playgroups. Your behaviour doesn’t suit the age requirement on the box.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Llyren.3904

Llyren.3904

Lots of folks seem to consider playing nicely with other people to be beneath them. Is sad.

If the group leader advertises a funny hat group, then I’ll wear the funny hat if I want to play with them.

If I want to play the same content, but not wear a funny hat, then I’ll start my own group.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Ping.5739

Ping.5739

it’ll lead to elitism.

Elitism is awesome. It provides a legit way to rock the dungeon, brings teammate to work together, and eliminates selfish acts like “signets are awesome”, “thief does big dmg in dungeons”, “too lazy to press 789”, “how to set my pet to passive?”, “MINION BUILD!”, “FLAMETHROWER!”, etc… Yeah you are having a great time, but I have to do twice/three times amount of work to keep your alive.

But, inspect what people are doing is a totally different thing… For me, it violates my privacy.

This useless bar doesn’t make you awesome. However, stuff above does.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Jaall.3420

Jaall.3420

Some elitists can be really decent people just take the game seriously so in no way am I anti-elitist. What I am against is forcing elitism on everyone which is what an inspect option will do because it’s happened in every other mmo. I quit every mmo I used to play because the pressure to keep up with everyone else was overwhelming, and it made me realise they are just games, they aren’t my job. I have good gear in GW2 but when ascended armour becomes available I don’t want to feel obligated to go out and get it the next day just because I wont get invites unless I do. Also I like my build and don’t want to be put down for it in a game where I go to let my hair down as such. That pressure should never exist in a game unless designed to be like that which GW2 clearly was not.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Raestloz.7134

Raestloz.7134

I won’t approve of /inspect unless it’s for cosmetic preview only. :P

If I can /inspect, I expect the thing to only show:

[Noble Mask]
[Pirate Coat]
[Assassin Leggings]

etc etc etc without the actual stat/upgrade/prefix/suffix. Just the base skin. Period.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Pointing out the flaws in hate against gays does not equate to discrimination of religion.

Telling a racist to shut his mouth is not the same as being racist for denying his white pride.

Explaining an elitist that I want to play a fun build instead of a cookie cutter, does not equate to elitism.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Why no /inspect ?

penatbater.4710

it’ll lead to elitism.

Elitism is awesome. It provides a legit way to rock the dungeon, brings teammate to work together, and eliminates selfish acts like “signets are awesome”, “thief does big dmg in dungeons”, “too lazy to press 789”, “how to set my pet to passive?”, “MINION BUILD!”, “FLAMETHROWER!”, etc… Yeah you are having a great time, but I have to do twice/three times amount of work to keep your alive.

But, inspect what people are doing is a totally different thing… For me, it violates my privacy.

none of those selfish acts can be eliminated by having the right gear nor by being able to see people’s gear.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Llyren.3904

Llyren.3904

Pointing out the flaws in hate against gays does not equate to discrimination of religion.

Telling a racist to shut his mouth is not the same as being racist for denying his white pride.

Explaining an elitist that I want to play a fun build instead of a cookie cutter, does not equate to elitism.

Everyone plays to have fun, everyone.

There are some folks that are mean, don’t play with them.

There are many folks who are not mean, play with them.

Some people at a different spot on the min/maxer spectrum then you have fun by playing a more “math based” build, and playing with others close to the same spot in that spectrum. If you don’t like to play that way then don’t.

Telling a min/maxer they can’t have a parser or inspect or other math tools is like telling a roleplayer they can’t make their character look different from everyone else.

Mean peoples will be mean without tools, all mean peoples need is to type, or better yet voicechat.

Min/maxer does not equal mean peoples. Anyone can be a mean peoples.

(edited by Llyren.3904)

Why no /inspect ?

Surbrus.6942

Some people at a different spot on the min/maxer spectrum then you have fun by playing a more “math based” build, and playing with others close to the same spot in that spectrum. If you don’t like to play that way then don’t.

Telling a min/maxer they can’t have a parser or inspect or other math tools is like telling a roleplayer they can’t make their character look different from everyone else.

That isn’t a fair comparison. I’m one of those math heavy players, and prefer no inspect function. That is because it is mostly going to be used by people who basically don’t like math, but love cookie cutters… and then they will generally force many other people to use there cookie cutters. Again, you should be able to kitten someone’s build by watching them in action if you are actually one of those math heavy players.

Simply saying, “well keep doing what you’re doing and don’t care about the cookie cutters” isn’t enough, because that is not going to stop the majority from adopting these cookie cutters. I like seeing variety of builds, its boring having to pick up the same berserker build off the ground every dungeon, and even kind of boring stomping the same berserker build in WvW every day (or having the same annoying bunker/run away build pestering you in WvW).

Edit: I always get a bit of a chuckle when word-filters for “bad language” censor “normal” words.

(edited by Surbrus.6942)

Why no /inspect ?

TooBz.3065

Mean peoples will be mean without tools, all mean peoples need is to type, or better yet voicechat.

I don’t agree with this. Everything a mathematical min/max enthusiast needs to min/max his toons is available in game. Build calculators are available on websites. Dungeon running guilds are available for individuals who want to do speed runs.

The only thing an inspect function would do is allow a min/maxer to determine if someone else had min/maxed to his satisfaction. I’d rather not have it. If you want to talk about gear choices, I’ll chat all day.

But I’d rather you not have the ability to inspect my gear and build and make an arbitrary decision about whether I am worthy.

Why no /inspect ?

Sovta.4719

I don’t agree with this. Everything a mathematical min/max enthusiast needs to min/max his toons is available in game. Build calculators are available on websites. Dungeon running guilds are available for individuals who want to do speed runs.

The only thing an inspect function would do is allow a min/maxer to determine if someone else had min/maxed to his satisfaction. I’d rather not have it. If you want to talk about gear choices, I’ll chat all day.

But I’d rather you not have the ability to inspect my gear and build and make an arbitrary decision about whether I am worthy.

Not worthy. Next!

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: RiWiJo.7502

RiWiJo.7502

So people can be kicked from groups because other people are idiots and don’t realise you don’t need perfect build and gear to complete content? It’ll result in people who’ve never played a specific profession passing judgement on others because they think it’s not a good build.

I’ve already run into this. People who have never played a day as an engineer telling me I should respect as 100nade build because of some youtube they watched.

In WvW every night I see spam “if you are dying in melee you need PVT armor” which may or may not be the reason someone dies in melee. I can only imagine if people could actually see builds in WvW.

(edited by RiWiJo.7502)

Why no /inspect ?

TooBz.3065

Not worthy. Next!

You are apparently confusing the subject matter of this discussion. This is not a thread to find out which of us can run with you. This is a topic to discuss why there is no inspect function, which as moved to a topic about the pro’s and con’s of an inspect function.

Please stay on topic and stop trolling.