Why no /inspect ?

Why no /inspect ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I’m noticing over the course of the last many pages a lot of names against inspect, and only one name posting for it.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Uther Deathhand.1570

Uther Deathhand.1570

I carry around a set of blues to ping,i never pug,just like to read the reaction of the idiots when they see it.:)

lol I bet that is fun to see the elitists heads explode.

Work for a cause, not for applause.
Live life to express, not to impress.
Don’t strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt. ~ unknown

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I’m noticing over the course of the last many pages a lot of names against inspect, and only one name posting for it.

With quality posts like yours, I’m not sure if you can count any of them. How is this relevant to anything?

In my opinion it has been already quite well established that they should also implement a privacy option to prevent inspecting. Yet they still bring this “privacy”-issue all the time.

Also I see some signs of “everyone should take me on their group no matter what build I use”. If you don’t see how self-centered that is I’m not sure if there’s much point to try argue. Even in normal situation, it’s as huge miracle if someone changes his opinion.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

I’m still having a hard time understanding…. maybe im just slow, so i apologize… what is wrong with just gear pinging? Have i ever wanted to know what gear a guy was wearing when i saw them around in game? Yes, but only for cosmetics, i could care less about their stats though I know and acept other ppl might go so far as to being curious abt the stats too. Did I ask the person? yes i tried whispering, he didnt answer. But i left it at that. I didnt put much thought about it short of trying to look at dulfy or gw2armorgallery.

“interacting with strangers is an MMO thing " or sumthin like that, somewhere up there one of you said that, (im so lazy to browse thru again) so whats so wrong with just asking. Will we get an answer? well maybe, or maybe not, but then it shud be a given we wont always get everything we want all the time here. I mean i wanted the jetpack, didnt get it though and i had neither sufficient gold nor real money to get it, so well i just had to deal with it.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

do you want a inspect function? why?

lets see what the people want and their reasoning behind it.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

No, for all the reasons that were in the thread a few days ago.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Why-no-inspect/first

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Jaall.3420

Jaall.3420

We really don’t need yet another thread on this, it’s exactly the same as what was answered in every other thread.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Phoenix.7845

Phoenix.7845

what is wrong with just gear pinging?

Nothing, inspect would be just a nice feature that would make it easier, especially for build checking.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Dangerkips.6035

Dangerkips.6035

It would be a step in the right direction. Inb4 elitist jerk.

Why no /inspect ?

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

We really don’t need yet another thread on this, it’s exactly the same as what was answered in every other thread.

that thread is “why” and this one is “do you want?” so its a bit different.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

You have a funny way of counting then…

I just gave up a couple of pages ago. I’m all for the privacy button as well, it would make both sides happy I think. It’s just like Wethospu said, most people with a decent opinion have left the thread a bunch of pages back. The only people that remain are the special snowflakes who think I should tolerate their terrible builds in my team, because Anet told people they could play how they want to play.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

It is not different at all and will either get merged or deleted.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

No, for all the reasons that were in the thread a few days ago.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Why-no-inspect/first

Another one? I also say no for the obvious reasons.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Overkillengine.6084

Overkillengine.6084

/jranger

Why no /inspect ?

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

well, when i started the “do u want ascended armor” topic, majority of those who replied are against it.

for this “inspect” topic i am not sure. so lets see how it goes.

though it seems so far those who replied do not want an inspect function.

Why no /inspect ?

Jaall.3420

Read through the other thread and you will see your questions answered.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

/jranger

I salute you sir. Never thought I would see that again.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

This one also asks why.

quoted from topic: “do you want a inspect function? yes? no? why?

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

As I stated on another thread – no. Why? Because once that is implemented, the only viable gear would be Berserker and probably the only viable class is War/Mesm followed by Guard.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Why no /inspect ?

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

This one also asks why.

that one is “why no inspect function?”

this one is …
“yes! i want an inspect function because …”
“no! i dun want an inspection function because …”

basically a battleground for the 2 sides to duke it out.

fair?

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

YES!!!! We need it bad. I’d love to see the gear people are rocking.

Why no /inspect ?

Jaall.3420

This one also asks why.

that one is “why no inspect function?”

this one is …
“yes! i want an inspect function because …”
“no! i dun want an inspection function because …”

basically a battleground for the 2 sides to duke it out.

fair?

Have you looked at that other thread? It’s definitely a battleground lol. Honestly that other thread is exactly what you’re saying but with a different title, you just need to read it not make a whole new thread to spam the forum with the same topic.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

No. I don’t think it is anyones business what gear anyone else is running. The game is not heavily gear dependent and people should be free to run with whatever set up works best for them. Especially when GW2 does such a good job of letting people play how they want – people should have to play how everyone else wants them to just because a handful of delusional people think that specific things are the only viable options.

The ONLY place this would actually be acceptable is FoTM, because Agony Resistance is kind of vital and people should be able to ensure that their party members have the appropriate AR.

Why no /inspect ?

Phoenix.7845

As I stated on another thread – no. Why? Because once that is implemented, the only viable gear would be Berserker and probably the only viable class is War/Mesm followed by Guard.

This has already happened.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

Certain topics come in waves. Inspect creates exclusion and is a tool for elitist to exclude people. On the other hand, I prefer them to check my gear and kick me right away rather than being in a bad attitude party.

There are many many other functionality that has higher priority to me. A LFG tool for one (or GvG or GHs or etc. etc.)

Why no /inspect ?

Tolmos.8395

With quality posts like yours, I’m not sure if you can count any of them.

lol You’re so clever. Weren’t you supposed to end that line with “bashwingaaaaa!” or something like that?

If I could give you a cookie for your efforts, I promise I would. >_>

Why no /inspect ?

Tolmos.8395

There are many many other functionality that has higher priority to me. A LFG tool for one (or GvG or GHs or etc. etc.)

Pretty much this. If they waste resources on a /inspect any time in the next 2 years it will show a massive a lack of vision on Anets part when it comes to priorities. There are so many things that are missing, so many bugs that need to be fixed and so much endgame content that needs to be added that this is really one of the extreme “bottom of the barrel” options. This should be up there with a DPS meter on priorities.

Why no /inspect ?

Phoenix.7845

Pretty much this. If they waste resources on a /inspect any time in the next 2 years it will show a massive a lack of vision on Anets part when it comes to priorities. There are so many things that are missing, so many bugs that need to be fixed and so much endgame content that needs to be added that this is really one of the extreme “bottom of the barrel” options. This should be up there with a DPS meter on priorities.

Oh, this argument again. Inspect is alredy implemented in SPvP, so there is minimum work to be done.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

Inspect could lead to… elitism?

You do realize that every exotic has the same exact stats…. right? Please explain to me how this can lead to… elitism? Everybody is the same, there is no gear progression what so ever. All the people who bother to max out their profession can just cough up their exotics and be the same as everybody else.

An inspect option would be useless, unless you wanna see what vanity gear/skins people are wearing, because ofc, those do get upgraded. >.>

I think the majority of ‘elitism’ mentioned here isn’t about getting higher and higher numbers, but rather the preference on specific type of stats, namely Berzerker. the concern of ‘anti-elitists’ here is that they dont want to be forced/encouraged/pushed towards only the type of stats, and thus build, that the ‘elitists’ prefer.

Why no /inspect ?

Wethospu.6437

I really don’t get it why it is so bad that you are being pushed to efficient builds. Most of the players/elitists won’t care if you have one trait “wrong” or bit “wrong” setup (like some defensive stats).
However it is a real issue when someone is running a full tank-spec. Or if half of the party is using a condition-spec. No matter how creative you feel, you won’t get around that.

And still, you can make your own group if you want to be a full-tank.

With quality posts like yours, I’m not sure if you can count any of them.

lol You’re so clever. Weren’t you supposed to end that line with “bashwingaaaaa!” or something like that?

If I could give you a cookie for your efforts, I promise I would. >_>

Yet another useless post. No cookies for you.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Ordika.9513

Ordika.9513

I really don’t get it why it is so bad that you are being pushed to efficient builds. Most of the players/elitists won’t care if you have one trait “wrong” or bit “wrong” setup (like some defensive stats).

Your assuming this to be the goal of every player or even the absolute necessity for every player to achieve. I’m not say efficiency is bad, or undesirable, but I used to see this all the time in WoW/Rift/take your pick MMO. If you weren’t doing things as efficiently as possible you are looked at as crazy. But if you can get things done, and you are in a group of like minded people who cares what your build/gear are as long as you are enjoying yourself.

The solutions are already in game, force ping or no invite, and/or only group with like minded people. There every ones problems solved without an intrusive (and rude in my opinion) mechanic.

To give you an idea of what I speak, I only run with my guild. I run a Engineer with a Carrion FT build that outputs great damage. Is it the most damage I could squeeze out of it, no, but by the same token no one in my party ever has to rez me because I have over 26K health and know how to avoid the bad. I also know at least 3 of the other people in the group have none conventional builds, and we don’t wipe (regularly, there have been some moments where our over enjoyment lead to bad decisions)

Ordika Skirata || Keirstaad Rhith || Rhun Turold || Quinten Vigar || Ahrung Park
Swansonites of North Shiverpeak – Northern Shiverpeaks

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

Your assuming this to be the goal of every player or even the absolute necessity for every player to achieve. I’m not say efficiency is bad, or undesirable, but I used to see this all the time in WoW/Rift/take your pick MMO. If you weren’t doing things as efficiently as possible you are looked at as crazy. But if you can get things done, and you are in a group of like minded people who cares what your build/gear are as long as you are enjoying yourself.

The solutions are already in game, force ping or no invite, and/or only group with like minded people. There every ones problems solved without an intrusive (and rude in my opinion) mechanic.

To give you an idea of what I speak, I only run with my guild. I run a Engineer with a Carrion FT build that outputs great damage. Is it the most damage I could squeeze out of it, no, but by the same token no one in my party ever has to rez me because I have over 26K health and know how to avoid the bad. I also know at least 3 of the other people in the group have none conventional builds, and we don’t wipe (regularly, there have been some moments where our over enjoyment lead to bad decisions)

How do you consider /inspect intrusive? Every game i’ve played that had /inspect, i honestly couldn’t tell you how many times i’ve been inspected. It could’ve been zero times or it could’ve a thousand times. I will never know because it has never intruded on my personal being.

Why no /inspect ?

Ordika.9513

How do you consider /inspect intrusive? Every game i’ve played that had /inspect, i honestly couldn’t tell you how many times i’ve been inspected. It could’ve been zero times or it could’ve a thousand times. I will never know because it has never intruded on my personal being.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it does it make a sound?

Yes – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound

The tree falling causes the oscillation of pressure through the air, just because no one is there doesn’t mean this didn’t happen.

So how is it intrusive, that person still looked at your character without your permission. Just because you don’t know it happened doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. What your arguing is whether or not someone was inconvenienced by it, which they may or may not end up being.

Ordika Skirata || Keirstaad Rhith || Rhun Turold || Quinten Vigar || Ahrung Park

Why no /inspect ?

Scrambles.2604

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it does it make a sound?

Yes – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound

The tree falling causes the oscillation of pressure through the air, just because no one is there doesn’t mean this didn’t happen.

So how is it intrusive, that person still looked at your character without your permission. Just because you don’t know it happened doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. What your arguing is whether or not someone was inconvenienced by it, which they may or may not end up being.

Seems much less inconvenient then being asked to ping your gear. What bothers you about people seeing your gear? If someone looks at your gear, without you knowing, and doesn’t do anything as a result, what’s the issue? I wont accept oscillating air pressure as an answer, unfortunately.

I mean, they can already get an idea of what you’re wearing just by looking at you. Maybe you should suggest an image blur so people can’t see what your character looks like, since you’ll just look like low-rez pixels.

Why no /inspect ?

Wethospu.6437

If someone doesn’t are about efficiency and wants to run “creative” builds then why should I be pushed to play with him?
Also I don’t get it how is it intrusive if you can block all inspects?

Why no /inspect ?

Ordika.9513

Seems much less inconvenient then being asked to ping your gear. What bothers you about people seeing your gear? If someone looks at your gear, without you knowing, and doesn’t do anything as a result, what’s the issue? I wont accept oscillating air pressure as an answer, unfortunately.

I mean, they can already get an idea of what you’re wearing just by looking at you. Maybe you should suggest an image blur so people can’t see what your character looks like, since you’ll just look like low-rez pixels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum

I am not afraid of people looking at cosmetic aspect of my gear. I can’t really not nor do I want to hide it (cosmetic aspect is pretty much a show and tell / look at me look at me kind of thing).

Inspect so much that it is an automatic access to all the inner workings of my avatar is intrusive whether the person being inspected knows about it or not. It’s not about convenience, I have never argued from this perspective, you have from the perspective that you don’t want to inconvenience people by asking and you don’t want to be inconvenienced by being ignored when you do. To me personally it is rude,to believe you are entitled to see the inner workings of someone else’s avatar without asking their permission first.

Why no /inspect ?

Ordika.9513

If someone doesn’t are about efficiency and wants to run “creative” builds then why should I be pushed to play with him?

I had no idea you where “pushed” to play with anyone. You might want to take umbrage with whomever is forcing you to play with people you don’t want to and not push for a tool that will probably not solve the issue of you being forced to play with people you don’t want to.

It would only become if the person who was denied took it upon themselves to start pestering me about it. But I have said the /inspect with a block feature is ok, but won’t solve the issue most people want it for (to prevent leeches in their group), as ping basically serves the same function and if they can lie via ping they will figure a way around inspect.

(edited by Ordika.9513)

Why no /inspect ?

Tolmos.8395

As annoying of a poster/person as you are, and as much as I disagree with the need for /inspect, I agree with this post.

It’s not intrusive if I can block someone’s ability to /inspect me. And it isn’t fair for the “elitists” if they are forced to play with someone who doesn’t fit their playstyle.

I don’t want a mandatory /inspect because it would hurt my playstyle. But at the same time I have to respect that not having ANY /inspect would hurt the playstyle of others.

For the people against /inspect, an optional implementation of it would only hurt those who want to lie their way into a group that doesn’t want them. Why would you even want to do that? If a group doesn’t want you in it, why would you want to impose yourself upon them?

Yes, this feature would cause something of a rift in the population of the game. You’d be either in the “inspect enabled” or “inspect disabled” camp… but it can’t be helped. It would be a quality of life feature for players who play a specific way, and the number of those players might be pretty hefty. They deserve nice things just like the rest of us. Some of the stuff I’ve wanted in game came at the cost of annoyance for some other players… I have to accept that my turn will come, as well.

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: data.4093

data.4093

After 15 pages it looks like the community knows what it wants. Bring back pingable builds Anet! w00t!

Why no /inspect ?

Tolmos.8395

After 15 pages it looks like the community knows what it wants. Bring back pingable builds Anet! w00t!

Those were useful. Also being able to save builds and switch without having to go to an NPC to do it.

I don’t care that it costs me $$$ to respec. I care that I have to track down a trainer to do it >_>

Why no /inspect ?

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

If a block feature with /inspect would be in place, what’s the difference then between that and pinging?

Path 1 (with /inspect and block)
Player A: Can you unblock /inspect so I can see your gears?
Player B: No.

Path 2 (status quo)
Player A: Can you ping your gear?
Player B: No

alternative if someone does allow it

Path 1
Player A: Can you unblock your /inspect so I can see your gear?
Player B: Sure. unblocks

Path 2
Player A: Can you ping your gear so I can see what you’re wearing?
Player B: Here you go. pings gear

If the only difference is convenience… well, that’s not really a good enough reason. Add further the fact that pinging gear only happens in cof1 and high level fractals, I see no need for it.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Why no /inspect ?

Scrambles.2604

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum

I am not afraid of people looking at cosmetic aspect of my gear. I can’t really not nor do I want to hide it (cosmetic aspect is pretty much a show and tell / look at me look at me kind of thing).

Inspect so much that it is an automatic access to all the inner workings of my avatar is intrusive whether the person being inspected knows about it or not. It’s not about convenience, I have never argued from this perspective, you have from the perspective that you don’t want to inconvenience people by asking and you don’t want to be inconvenienced by being ignored when you do. To me personally it is rude,to believe you are entitled to see the inner workings of someone else’s avatar without asking their permission first.

lol, why is it rude for someone to see what gear your wearing? It may be the case that i simply cant put myself in your mindset, but privacy and rudeness in regard to looking at someones gear, in a game about acquiring gear, seems pretty absurd to me.

edit; Yes, on the one hand, you could argue i’m simply dismissing your argument by calling it absurd.

On the other hand, maybe you have simply failed to consider that, to someone that is not yourself, your argument may appear absurd?

(edited by Scrambles.2604)

Why no /inspect ?

penatbater.4710

lol, why is it rude for someone to see what gear your wearing? It may be the case that i simply cant put myself in your mindset, but privacy and rudeness in regard to looking at someones gear, in a game about acquiring gear, seems pretty absurd to me.

Try walking down the street demanding people to tell you where they got their clothes and tell me if it’s not rude. Same basic principle applies.

Why no /inspect ?

Tolmos.8395

If a block feature with /inspect would be in place, what’s the difference then between that and pinging?

Path 2 (status quo)

Path 1

Path 2

If the only difference is convenience… well, that’s not really a good enough reason. Add further the fact that pinging gear only happens in cof1 and high level fractals, I see no need for it.

Because if you don’t want to be inspected, you don’t have to be. BUT if you do want to inspect, you can still narrow down your search by just treating those who don’t want to be inspected as if they don’t meet the criteria to get into your group.

It’s a semi-win/win. A compromise, basically. Both sides get something that they want, though neither side is entirely happy.

Why no /inspect ?

Scrambles.2604

Try walking down the street demanding people to tell you where they got their clothes and tell me if it’s not rude. Same basic principle applies.

Is it rude to glance at their cloths and notice what theyre wearing, if it doesn’t effect them?

Also, we’re talking about the application in a video game, where real-world factors may not be as applicable. It would be different if i could right click someone on the street, but well….i cant.

Not to mention, in the current state, where you have to ask someone to ping their gear, is pretty much exactly the same as stopping someone on the street and asking them. Not that that is entirely rude, but it could be inconvenient for either party.

Why no /inspect ?

penatbater.4710

Path 2 (status quo)

Path 1

Path 2

Because if you don’t want to be inspected, you don’t have to be. BUT if you do want to inspect, you can still narrow down your search by just treating those who don’t want to be inspected as if they don’t meet the criteria to get into your group.

It’s a semi-win/win. A compromise, basically. Both sides get something that they want, though neither side is entirely happy.

So… basically it… uh… alienates people who don’t want to be inspected, on the hunch that their build might be wrong? That seems rather… unfair. =/

Why no /inspect ?

Tolmos.8395

On the other hand, maybe you have simply failed to consider that, to someone that is not yourself, your argument may appear absurd?

That’s the case for almost everyone, but most people are socially adept enough to know to keep it in.

I’ve thought the entire “OMG I NEED /INSPECT” argument has been absurd since the first post, but I haven’t gone around dismissing everyone over it.

I’m singling you out here, but you aren’t at all the only person, nor is it limited only to people on the “I want /inspect” side. It’s like this entire forum has aspergers or something.

Why no /inspect ?

Ordika.9513

Agree to disagree.

It’s all about mindset here, the presumption that you should have access to someone else’s avatar. I personally find it rude so I personally hold myself to that standard. As such I would prefer it not be in the game, or at least if it is, then as has been suggested, make it opt out/in.

Also the game isn’t about acquiring gear, WoW/Rift style progression is about acquiring gear. Here once you have what you want you don’t have to acquire another piece of gear as long as you play (presumably unless ascended gear is expanded or added to).

Why no /inspect ?

penatbater.4710

Is it rude to glance at their cloths and notice what theyre wearing, if it doesn’t effect them?

Also, we’re talking about the application in a video game, where real-world factors may not be as applicable. It would be different if i could right click someone on the street, but well….i cant.

Not to mention, in the current state, where you have to ask someone to ping their gear, is pretty much exactly the same as stopping someone on the street and asking them. Not that that is entirely rude, but it could be inconvenient for either party.

/inspect ~ being able to see what people are wearing, their brands, when they were bought etc WITHOUT their prior knowledge or consent.

pinging – asking people what they are wearing, giving them the appropriate knowledge and consent.

That’s the major difference, methinks.

Why no /inspect ?

Ordika.9513

That’s the case for almost everyone, but most people are socially adept enough to know to keep it in.

I’ve thought the entire “OMG I NEED /INSPECT” argument has been absurd since the first post, but I haven’t gone around dismissing everyone over it.

I’m singling you out here, but you aren’t at all the only person, nor is it limited only to people on the “I want /inspect” side. It’s like this entire forum has aspergers or something.

To clarify the reason I linked Reductio ad absurdum, was not his argument for inspect was absurd. It was because:

Maybe you should suggest an image blur so people can’t see what your character looks like, since you’ll just look like low-rez pixels.

reductio ad absurum does not have to do with the statement in and of itself (we need inspect because X or we don’t need inspect because Y) only the counter argument to the statement:

“is a common form of argument which seeks to demonstrate that a statement is true by showing that a false, untenable, or absurd result follows from its denial, or in turn to demonstrate that a statement is false by showing that a false, untenable, or absurd result follows from its acceptance”

My statement was that it was intrusive because I personally believe there is a level of presumption/entitlement to the desire to look at the details of someones avatar without their permissions.

He countered this by saying the we should have low res avatar’s because I shouldn’t want anyone looking at the cosmetics of my avatar. This is an absurd reach. A better counter argument would have been speaking about the opt out/in in the sense that I could still block them, but I have already said I am fine with that compromise, but would still fight for no inspect at all as that is my personal preference.

(edited by Ordika.9513)