Why not add Duel.

Why not add Duel.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Guizzer.2901

Guizzer.2901

This is just someting that i always liked in games, and sometimes i miss it in guild wars 2. The game it self is already awsome but why not add duel in open world and WvW maps? Always fun to duel people you meet

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Nausiation.1469

Nausiation.1469

That’s what I’ve been asking since the beta weekends.

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

This is just someting that i always liked in games, and sometimes i miss it in guild wars 2. The game it self is already awsome but why not add duel in open world and WvW maps? Always fun to duel people you meet

I don’t see why they wouldn’t as long as an option was in the game settings to turn off duel requests. Personally, people running around challenging to a duel all the time is annoying and not conducive to having fun, but as long as I could turn duel requests off I don’t see why they couldn’t do it.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Guizzer.2901

Guizzer.2901

yea ofc the setting should be added

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

As I have not experienced Dueling in previous games, I am having a problem understanding.

• A duel is between one player(or team) and another aka Player vs. Player. Isn’t that what the PvP part of the game is all about?
  • Why should they bring the game type of PvP into PvE? Isn’t that what WvW is all about?

To me, PvE is about helping your fellow player not smiting her bones to ashes and dancing on her grave.

I guess I just see it as a conflict of the idealistic purpose of the individual game types.

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

No to Open World Dueling, for all the reasons posted in the countless other bi-weekly Dueling threads.

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

The game is not balanced with 1v1 in mind it made for teams. So if they did add in duel one to two classes will be the best and that is what happens in the wvw dueling.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Not this topic again…. ><

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Why not add Duel.

Aeonblade.8709

As I have not experienced Dueling in previous games, I am having a problem understanding.

• A duel is between one player(or team) and another aka Player vs. Player. Isn’t that what the PvP part of the game is all about?
  • Why should they bring the game type of PvP into PvE? Isn’t that what WvW is all about?

To me, PvE is about helping your fellow player not smiting her bones to ashes and dancing on her grave.

I guess I just see it as a conflict of the idealistic purpose of the individual game types.

You can’t use your gear in PvP.

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

During the BWEs, one of the devs said that dueling in the open world was a feature that they would like to add. It would be a very low priority feature however, even more so since custom arenas were added.

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Oiy vey, not this again… If people want to duel in a private instance or PvP setting, go for it. But please not in open world. Even an option to disable dueling isn’t enough. I don’t want to be whispered “Duel me! Duel me!” over and over again, or be harassed in map chat, or have their guildies start in when I block. I’ve had it happen to me, I’ve seen it happen to others. Put it in PvP if you want, but keep it OUT of PvE!!!

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: SaltyDave.7346

SaltyDave.7346

I think ANet takes everything too seriously. Dueling isn’t something we need an arena / special place for, or rewards or “some new system mechanics we are working on but can’t say more about that now”.

It’s playing out there in the world, meeting somebody, “Hey nice to meet you, want to do duels”, you right click on him / her, Request Duel, she/he accepts/declines it. You both bow to each other (would be a nice addition before the fight starts) while there is a countdown timer from 3, then the duel begins. One will keep standing, the other isn’t. Another nice addition would be to not “kill” your opponent, just simply win when he would get downed and help her / him up.

THAT.
SIMPLE.
Takes a day to add it to the game.

Why not add Duel.

Nausiation.1469

Oiy vey, not this again… If people want to duel in a private instance or PvP setting, go for it. But please not in open world. Even an option to disable dueling isn’t enough. I don’t want to be whispered “Duel me! Duel me!” over and over again, or be harassed in map chat, or have their guildies start in when I block. I’ve had it happen to me, I’ve seen it happen to others. Put it in PvP if you want, but keep it OUT of PvE!!!

If you are being trolled through pm, map chat and then by multiple people of the guild, it’s probably not about dueling whatsoever. Also, report them and they will get banned. But I have a feeling you aren’t innocent if a ton of people dislike you enough to get everyone to troll you.

Also @ the arguement of “game isn’t balanced for 1v1”
….how is that even an arguement…just because it isn’t balanced doesn’t mean it isn’t fun. We’re not asking for dueling brackets or some crap, we just want to be able to fool around and fight our friends without having to teleport to the mists, find an open, empty server, wait for the game to start, meet in the middle and hope that no one elae joins. That is autistic.

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Cooperative PvE environment isn’t meant for dueling. You’d need specific PvP places for that. Arenas run by the Consortium in Southsun, access to a dueling arena in the Mists, these would possibly work. Open world challenge anyone you meet… no, the game is built to recognize us all as allies.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Why not add Duel.

VOLKON.1290

I think ANet takes everything too seriously. Dueling isn’t something we need an arena / special place for, or rewards or “some new system mechanics we are working on but can’t say more about that now”.

It’s playing out there in the world, meeting somebody, “Hey nice to meet you, want to do duels”, you right click on him / her, Request Duel, she/he accepts/declines it. You both bow to each other (would be a nice addition before the fight starts) while there is a countdown timer from 3, then the duel begins. One will keep standing, the other isn’t. Another nice addition would be to not “kill” your opponent, just simply win when he would get downed and help her / him up.

THAT.
SIMPLE.

You’ve never even taken a programming class I’m willing to wager. Tell me… what happens when you and another guy are dueling and I decide to cast a chaos storm on the top of you two?

#TeamJadeQuarry

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: George Steel.1804

George Steel.1804

To be honest, open world duelling is the only simple fix to re-populate the beautiful and under-utilized zones in this game. Could you imagine seeing people hanging out, chatting, and dueling in all the scenic areas? Some call it a negative, I call it taking advantage of the beautifully crafted game world. Because right now all I see is the inside of FotM, some random dungeons, LA, and WvW.

Yes, please. Yes.

Platinum – Guardian
Technical Strength – Engineer
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

Why not add Duel.

George Steel.1804

THAT.
SIMPLE.

You’ve never even taken a programming class I’m willing to wager. Tell me… what happens when you and another guy are dueling and I decide to cast a chaos storm on the top of you two?

If you’re implying that a “AAA MMO” doesn’t have the know-how and knowledge to code-in dueling, after the game has been out this long, you are kidding yourself.

Platinum – Guardian
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Also what if someone pulls a champ or enemy mob on them?

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Why not add Duel.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I can see it now:

Your duel is interfering with my event!

Your event is interfering with my duel!!

Rrrggg!

Why not add Duel.

George Steel.1804

Also what if someone pulls a champ or enemy mob on them?

Just as a reminder, in WoW (2004) the developers were able to code dueling entities as non-friendly (couldn’t buff/heal them) and mobs that were pulled into the dueling area were still aggressive/hittable/etc (no changes). And it worked fine. So fine actually that I spent a WHOLE lot of my endgame dueling other players and as a consequence got very good at my profession and developed a lot of great relationships with other duelers. And many others did the same.

Platinum – Guardian
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

No… leave me alone.
Click “b” … enjoy

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

I always hated duels,on WOW i hated it with passions and i just wished that there was button to turn it off so that people dont annoy me with requests.Then i played some open world MMORPG games and come here.I WANT DUEL NOW ! Even though i hated it everywhere here is just needed.I dont want to go to WvW and cracking my head will i find some enemy guy to add to pt and do duel with it just so i can test my skills…also Open World Duel is amazing for many other reasons.First of all people that wait for World Bosses and other events will have something to do instead staying AFK all day in LA,second is as i said…people wont camp in LA!.Anet should do something seriously to get those people that sit there doing nothing outside on the World Map so that they really make this game “living”.Atm only life in Tyria have npc’s that no1 visiting and why whould we when we can do all from LA?Duel is good reason to make other "random"places and maps more populated and not just this main city that i try to avoid

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Aaaaannnnd here we go again. Enough of these threads. There is an area specifically for PvP. There is an “open world” area in WvWvW. I agree with another poster that the PvE area, so far, has been about teamwork and helping others, not about duels.

Seriously, I will unistall this game if ever that is implemented and just go play something else.

#noway

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Why not add Duel.

Aeonblade.8709

This thread reads as “I don’t want it so nobody else should get it either!” stamp feet pout throw tantrum

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

No to Open World Dueling, for all the reasons posted in the countless other bi-weekly Dueling threads.

you want dueling go to the mists !
if they enabled dueling sinside the mists I’d have no problem with it but……
NO to PVE world dueling !

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: coolmanx.5726

coolmanx.5726

If duels were added it would be best if it was on it’s own map and the only place in the game where you can request duels would be this map, if you request a duel on any other map (via private message, map chat, guild chat, open chat etc) would be a punishable offense if reported. This is the only way I can think of to make both sides happy (one side gets their duels, and the other doesn’t even have to know they exist and if someone brings it up they get punished)

Why not add Duel.

VOLKON.1290

We have the Consortium trying to get people to Southsun. They have crab toss, a fairly violent pastime to help blow off stress. It’s the perfect place to stick little dueling arenas. You could even create them as spectator style arenas with stands, a controlled neutral environment, etc. If you want to add dueling in a way that fits in with the lore of the game as it stands as opposed to simply dumping it in there this would be one way to do it. Another would be to add dueling arenas off of the Mists, an already PvP area.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Why not add Duel.

Nausiation.1469

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Why not add Duel.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

you want dueling go to the mists !
if they enabled dueling sinside the mists I’d have no problem with it but……
NO to PVE world dueling !

Ha ha. Not sure if you are agreeing or disputing. Regardless…No to Open World Dueling, again.

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

The game is not balanced with 1v1 in mind it made for teams. So if they did add in duel one to two classes will be the best and that is what happens in the wvw dueling.

So I have to transfer to a different server to duel my friend? Forget that. Just give us the option, and let that be that. Also a nice way to quickly test WvW builds, by being able to duel your friends, and they give you accurate feedback.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

All of the things that are balanced differently in PvE… like confusion. If you thought PU mesmers were bad in WvW…

Then there’s the PvE-only consumables.

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

As long as there would be an setting to automatically refuse duel requests I would support this request.

Why not add Duel.

Latinkuro.9420

As long as there would be an setting to automatically refuse duel requests I would support this request.

it’s not about your ability to auto deny duels !
it’s about immersion and how PVE dueling goes against the established lore, all races cooperating with each other instead of fighting each other.

that’s one of the main reasons a lot of players me included do NOT want to see dueling in the PVE world !

wanna duel go to the mists, that’s the pvp place !

Why not add Duel.

Ashen.2907

it’s about immersion and how PVE dueling goes against the established lore, all races cooperating with each other instead of fighting each other.

The established lore involves having to challenge members of the other races to duels in order to convince them to join in the crusade against the dragons. Anet specifically chose to include PvE dueling in the lore. Also not all members of all races are cooperating.

Why not add Duel.

Latinkuro.9420

The established lore involves having to challenge members of the other races to duels in order to convince them to join in the crusade against the dragons. Anet specifically chose to include PvE dueling in the lore. Also not all members of all races are cooperating.

ugh, this has been discussed to death NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !
NO dueling in PVE world !
if they want they can enable it in the mists and I wouldn’t care !
but NOT in PVE world !!!

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

This again. Here is why I don’t want open world dueling. I don’t want to see /map and /say filled with dueling banter. I don’t want to be at a merchant or what not trying to do what I want to do and have skill effects spamming all over my screen because people are dueling.

So let’s say there is open world dueling with an auto decline option. If that is the case then duels should not be allowed within say 3000 units of any merchant, crafting station, trading post, bank, and so forth. This would allow duelers to have at it in areas all over the place where it would not affect players trying to do other things.

Excessive duel chat in /map and /say would need to be punished the same as other chat violations via suspensions.

I can see maybe open world dueling only available via a gem store item. For this example we will call it a “duel ticket”. If you don’t have one you can’t challenge and if you don’t have one you can’t accept. This would work in a way the same as auto decline but since if you don’t have the “duel ticket” you don’t have to worry about the “duel me brah” garbage because someone with the ticket would get a message saying, “this player does not have a ticket”. Then they would move on knowing they couldn’t duel you no matter how much they tried to provoke you.

tl;dr I just don’t want to see /map and /say messed up with duel garbage talk. I don’t want to see a bunch of attack effects all over my screen while I’m trying to do something at a TP, merchant or what not. Duel your brains out as long as it isn’t in my face and isn’t trashing chat.

The Burninator

Why not add Duel.

Ashen.2907

ugh, this has been discussed to death NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !
NO dueling in PVE world !
if they want they can enable it in the mists and I wouldn’t care !
but NOT in PVE world !!!

I completely understand your preference for a lack of dueling in the open world. It was your inaccurate attempt to cloak your preference in terms of lore and immersion that I was disagreeing with.

The lore of the game supports it.

You do not want it.

Fine.

If you were not required to participate in dueling in PvE, and (as previously pointed out) the lore of the game supports it, why are you so vehemently opposed to something that other people could enjoy with little if any impact or even interaction on you ?

Why not add Duel.

Latinkuro.9420

gw1 lore and gw2 lore is different, that said.
there are countless threads about this kitten issue already !
not gonna keep responding to something the community as a majority has agreed should not be in PVE !

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: nopoet.2960

nopoet.2960

One of these days I going to write a long post about how all the major cities should specialize in different aspects of the game. What relevant here is that the Black Citadel would make a perfect pvp capital. Anyway…
1. The floor of the Bane should just be tagged as a FFA area plain and simple. 2. There should be a drink at every bar that marks you for pvp. This would only work in the Black Citadel and is completely consensual. If you want to pvp buy a brew and get busy. 3. There should be one on one dueling refereed by a guard. Both players walk up to a guard and tell it they want to duel and the guard will allow it and monitor the fight (no duel request directly with other players).

Why not add Duel.

Ashen.2907

gw1 lore and gw2 lore is different

This game is GW2. GW2 lore supports dueling in PvE.

not gonna keep responding to something the community as a majority has agreed should not be in PVE !

Luckily for you the majority of the community have not done so.

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: pupi.2465

pupi.2465

Thats why Anet should make PVP servers, for PvP crowd that would like to duel/fight in open world, i know you (pve lovers) will say the goal is to the Races be united against the Dragons and bla bla bla…

There are Chaos everywhere, GW2 should be no exception!

Why not add Duel.

JustTrogdor.7892

Thats why Anet should make PVP servers, for PvP crowd that would like to duel/fight in open world, i know you (pve lovers) will say the goal is to the Races be united against the Dragons and bla bla bla…

There are Chaos everywhere, GW2 should be no exception!

I have no problem with that… PvP servers so you all can duel your brains out in a PvP server. Free transfer. Good luck making that server good for anything else though.. Have fun.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: Kaos.9162

Kaos.9162

There’s a bit of a difference between an open pvp server and the ability to duel people, and by a bit I mean massive.

Why not add Duel.

JustTrogdor.7892

There’s a bit of a difference between an open pvp server and the ability to duel people, and by a bit I mean massive.

Wow! Total eye opener there… LOL

The Burninator

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: nopoet.2960

nopoet.2960

There should be one on one dueling refereed by a guard. Both players walk up to a guard and tell it they want to duel and the guard will allow it and monitor the fight (no duel request directly with other players).

Another thing is that the guard could take bets. That way you can duel for gold!

Why not add Duel.

JustTrogdor.7892

Another thing is that the guard could take bets. That way you can duel for gold!

No. If there were open world dueling there should be no achievement points or other rewards tied to it. The pro-dueling crowd says the reward is being able to duel with friends or what ever it is they want to do. If you start adding rewards to dueling then PvE turns into duel wars 2.

People that want dueling keep saying they just want to be able to duel friends, guild mates and so forth where they want to. That should be the only reward if open world dueling was to happen.

The Burninator

Why not add Duel.

Ashen.2907

No. If there were open world dueling there should be no achievement points or other rewards tied to it. The pro-dueling crowd says the reward is being able to duel with friends or what ever it is they want to do. If you start adding rewards to dueling then PvE turns into duel wars 2.

People that want dueling keep saying they just want to be able to duel friends, guild mates and so forth where they want to. That should be the only reward if open world dueling was to happen.

As long as the guard was only holding bets between players I don’t see it as a reward system. I do have concerns about betting though.

Why not add Duel.

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

As some others have said, pvp uses separate gear, alot of stuff is standardized to make it more balanced.

On the other question, what they could get from bringing dueling into pve is allowing pve players to dip their toes into pvp. When you jump into wvw for the first time it can be extremely overwhelming and brutal. Having the dueling option (maybe even make it where you don’t stomp the player, or don’t kill them, after the duel both players resume back to full health) would allow pve players to get friendly practice at pvp. I just introduced a guildie to pvp, took him into an empty pvp server and we dueled, and he freakin loved it, wants to practice but loved it. It could potentially help bridge all the game modes.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB