in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: AVM.5746

AVM.5746

For example:

Golden: +5% gold
Dungeon Master: +3% defense
Faithful: +10% exp (600 radius)
Hero of Lions Arch: +10% Karma

Doesn’t have to be all titles or these numbers I’m showing. I’d just think this would offer a better incentive to earn titles and choose which one you wanna show. Cause right now, I personally don’t think they practically do anything.

Why not have Titles give passive buffs?

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

Because they become part of the meta and requirements for elitists to exploit instead of purely showing achievement.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Because they become part of the meta and requirements for elitists to exploit instead of purely showing achievement.

^this. If they give personal buffs, that would be cool. Like in GW1. But I don’t seen the need for them. Plus there are boosters that do theses things. ANet wants you to buy them.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: AVM.5746

AVM.5746

Then lets not have the buffs have stat increases and give it in an aoe. Only personal karma, magic find or gold find buffs and have them increase as you get the higher tier titles. I know there are boosters, but if you played that long and worked that hard to get them, I’d say think you’ve supported the game long enough to earn it.

(edited by AVM.5746)

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I want to choose the title that I love and I’m proud to have, not because it’s the title that give me the best buff.

That would like having to take a ugly armor because it’s the best one I have. We already have account wide buff of gold finding, karma and MF. Why add another one?<

That said, they could improve the Title system. There is so much worthless title that you can gain with almost no effort. There is very few title that tell a story about what you did in the game.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

(edited by Thaddeus.4891)

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

Maybe have certain titles give optional visual effects like auras or apply particle effects on weapons, but no stat buffs please.

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

Then everyone will run around with the title that gives the best buff.

Like most other things in this game, it should stay purely cosmetic.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

What Thaddeus said exactly.

I don’t want to have to wear a title because it makes my build better, or choose a title I don’t really like simply for better loot/rewards. Everybody would be wearing the same small selection of titles in this way instead of choosing a title that they feel is an achievement, or one that fits their character’s theme well.

How about an alternate version of your suggestion- something that is more player friendly overall? How about award increase gold/magic/exp/karma find tokens to existing achievements that already have titles too? So when you get the title, you also get a small buff (and it doesn’t matter which title you use, too). Gold % increase already drops monthly from the log-in rewards, so my guess it’s not something very precious to Arena net.

Moreover, you get a load of these account bonuses from hitting AP tiers. You also get titles from large AP tiers, so this is also kind of the same thing.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

“OMG you don’t have Master Carver title?!” /kick

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Make them situational and cosmetic buffs in stead of raw stat buffs.

For example:

Golden: When you sell to a vendor you make an audible “cha-ching” sound.

Honorary Skritt: Red skritt in the open world are now yellow to you. This ability does not effect event mobs.

Other mob collections: Similar effect, only works on ambient mobs and never in instances

Dungeon Master: Parties you list in dungeon LFG have a special icon.

etc. etc.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

How many reasons do you want?

Mostly because it is an abysmal idea. And that is coming from me, a player who has a vast list of titles.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

It was tried in GW1 where certain pve only skills had their damage and ability progression tied to title tracks. They ended up being so powerful they superseded many character skills. It also meant title grind.

Posted by: The Tee Why.4807

The Tee Why.4807

Id rather they just be fun little name/titles than have buffs.

It makes it somewhat unique, as opposed to everyone having ‘meta’ buffs.

Thumbs down on this idea

Leader of [iLL] iLLuminatriots. | Gate of Madness

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

From a WvW players point of view, please no.

Not keen on title grinding for buffs through WvW like yakslapper, hell, not keen on grinding at all. I play for fun and fun only, grinding and PvE does not fit into the fun category for me.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Posted by: Conaywea.5062

Conaywea.5062

Champion Magus = 100% More Ring of Fire

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Would we be able to reskin our titles so we get the bonus we need with the title we want?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

We already are rewarded for earning titles, just not for specific ones. Every achievement chest includes a boost to MF, gold find, and/or karma gain.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

I don’t like the idea as stated, but if unlocking the title also gave you some kind of boost (not to effacity; then they just become mandatory or highly required, which achievements shouldn’t be), for instance the dungeon master one could give you 5 extra tokens per dungeon run, honorary skritt could give you a chance of obtaining extra ‘junk’ items whenever one would normally drop – little things which have little significant impact but still make earning the title feel a little more like an accomplishment.

none of the effects would require you to wear the title in question, though.

Posted by: StrangerDanger.3496

StrangerDanger.3496

Its a nice layer of depth adding stats to titles. However, it kinda sucks if you are into showing off specific achievements, which imo, are what titles are all about.

I think a better way of managing such a system is to create a new system where achievement unlock stats that can be mixed and matched, like add 3 from all you’ve unlocked. This way people could show off the title they want without side effect.

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

I don’t like the idea as stated, but if unlocking the title also gave you some kind of boost (not to effacity; then they just become mandatory or highly required, which achievements shouldn’t be), for instance the dungeon master one could give you 5 extra tokens per dungeon run, honorary skritt could give you a chance of obtaining extra ‘junk’ items whenever one would normally drop – little things which have little significant impact but still make earning the title feel a little more like an accomplishment.

This I could agree with. Gaining a title gives permanent gains, regardless of showing title. Since if you make buff dependant on showing said title, it then negates the meaning of titles, since you won’t wear a title due to personal reasons, but just to gain said buff.

Posted by: Envy.1679

Envy.1679

God walking amongst mere mortals: +20 swag

Yak slapper: Dolyaks gain a 1% bonus to movement speed when pathing away from you.

The sunbringer: Deal 1 bonus damage to undead

Sanctum sprinter: +1% movement speed in Dry Top and divinity reach Cantha District.

Faithful: Wololo was ineffective on you.

Honorary skritt: All trophies are considered rare.

MARATHON CIV 5 DIFFICULTY 10 STILL GOING

(edited by Envy.1679)

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

I would much rather they just add more titles I actually want to use.

Narrrz.7532

Honorary skritt: All trophies are considered rare.

i can just imagine.

“OOOH, SHINY” every time a piece of junk drops.

actually, they should change your voice callout when you loot a rare or better item to Rikkity’s “SHINYYYYYY”

Posted by: Quiznos.4296

Quiznos.4296

There’s plenty of reasons not to do this listed above. Here’s another:

This encourages a gap between old and new players, as some (many) titles are earned over extensive time. (And gaps for casuals)
Old players get boost for titles. New players unboosted.
New content & associated title comes out.
Boosts (not necessarily skill) help old player get title faster. New unboosted player is still working on it when…
New content&title comes out, to give old player something to do.
Boosts help old player get title faster, New player still working on the prev title let alone this one when….

See the pattern? After a while, New people won’t come in, they’ll have no hope of “catching up.”
Then a decision must be made; do you slow content release so casuals and newbies/casuals can catch up?

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

No stat boosts! It always leads to people being annoyed that there is an advantage, and since balance is unlikely, cause bias to certain titles.

What about unlocking a title giving you an extra visual effect to your wardrobe?

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Narrrz.7532

There’s plenty of reasons not to do this listed above. Here’s another:

This encourages a gap between old and new players, as some (many) titles are earned over extensive time. (And gaps for casuals)
Old players get boost for titles. New players unboosted.
New content & associated title comes out.
Boosts (not necessarily skill) help old player get title faster. New unboosted player is still working on it when…
New content&title comes out, to give old player something to do.
Boosts help old player get title faster, New player still working on the prev title let alone this one when….

See the pattern? After a while, New people won’t come in, they’ll have no hope of “catching up.”
Then a decision must be made; do you slow content release so casuals and newbies/casuals can catch up?

That’s definitely a strong argument against the original suggestion, but it could be turned around too; a minor boost, which doesn’t markedly improve effectiveness but just gives a small increase in rewards, gives veteran players a nice little increase in rewards, while giving casual players extra reason to work towards these achieves, especially the simpler ones.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Right now they are about the same thing as I ran into. I got looked down on earlier for not having the thing that said I did world completion. So what? If you are not crafting a legendary it is just bragging rights.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Right now they are about the same thing as I ran into. I got looked down on earlier for not having the thing that said I did world completion. So what? If you are not crafting a legendary it is just bragging rights.

Fortunately, world completion now gives you a star beside your name, whether you wear the title or not.

Unfortunately, you now get people asking you “What’s that star beside your name?”

But for laughs, I could imagine wearing the “golden” title and having a sunbeam shining on you wherever you go. Or wearing “honourary skritt” and gaining a tail.

Quiznos.4296

That’s definitely a strong argument against the original suggestion, but it could be turned around too; a minor boost, which doesn’t markedly improve effectiveness but just gives a small increase in rewards, gives veteran players a nice little increase in rewards, while giving casual players extra reason to work towards these achieves, especially the simpler ones.

The new content, rewards for overall AP, and things like Faolain’s Blossom, Karmic converter, etc. Already provide incentive…
What’s the point of getting boosts? To make it easier to get achievements/titles. The point of getting achievements/titles? Strictly for show, and sense of achievement IMO.
If it’s to get boosts, to get achievements, where’s the cycle stop? Even if boosts are minor, without an end point the gap grows.
Also, when boosts are added it becomes a grind to feel like you’re not falling behind, the TP would become, albeit gradually, inflated at an ever increasing rate. Not good.

If, for example a super bowl winner was allowed a +1% cap room bonus, it would screw up all kinds of things after a few years. People seem pretty well satisfied with a ring and something to list in their history.

It would seem to me, that the issue isn’t that achievements need boosts. It’s that most achievements are grind over time, and not skill based.

Menadena.7482

Fortunately, world completion now gives you a star beside your name, whether you wear the title or not.

Unfortunately, you now get people asking you “What’s that star beside your name?”

But for laughs, I could imagine wearing the “golden” title and having a sunbeam shining on you wherever you go. Or wearing “honourary skritt” and gaining a tail.

This was the opposite though. It was in the tone of that I was basically a newbie because I did not find it worthwhile to complete everything on every map. In other words, by having it be a title only people would need to choose what to be snobby about but by having the star now they can be snobby about 2 things just from your name-tag.

Sure, a person did some achievement. Yay for them. Just do not assume everyone else places the same value on what to do though.

Narrrz.7532

The new content, rewards for overall AP, and things like Faolain’s Blossom, Karmic converter, etc. Already provide incentive…
What’s the point of getting boosts? To make it easier to get achievements/titles. The point of getting achievements/titles? Strictly for show, and sense of achievement IMO.
If it’s to get boosts, to get achievements, where’s the cycle stop? Even if boosts are minor, without an end point the gap grows.
Also, when boosts are added it becomes a grind to feel like you’re not falling behind, the TP would become, albeit gradually, inflated at an ever increasing rate. Not good.

If, for example a super bowl winner was allowed a +1% cap room bonus, it would screw up all kinds of things after a few years. People seem pretty well satisfied with a ring and something to list in their history.

It would seem to me, that the issue isn’t that achievements need boosts. It’s that most achievements are grind over time, and not skill based.

I’m not familiar with Super bowl rules, but i presume that would improve your ability/chances of winning. That’s not what i’m suggesting.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

This was the opposite though. It was in the tone of that I was basically a newbie because I did not find it worthwhile to complete everything on every map. In other words, by having it be a title only people would need to choose what to be snobby about but by having the star now they can be snobby about 2 things just from your name-tag.

Sure, a person did some achievement. Yay for them. Just do not assume everyone else places the same value on what to do though.

Ah, my misunderstanding. Indeed, that snobbery is uncalled for. Those people don’t deserve you.

If only there was a title that showed you have titles but choose not to show them. Like.. “Title left intentionally blank” ..or “If you’re reading this, you’re standing too close.”

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Id rather leave it as is.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

I’m good with the remaining useless.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

I’ve never used any titles and really would not want to start using one just because it gives the best buff.

Posted by: Lakanna.2073

Lakanna.2073

Better that they remain just a title. Giving in-game bonuses, no matter how small, leads to them becoming just another piece of equipment. Giving them cosmetic effects leads to the same problem we currently have with backpacks: people with slower computers can’t actually turn them off, because they aren’t a part of the base character model. just leave them as floating wors that do nothing.

“entitled”: Ad Hominem fallacy condensed to a single word.

Posted by: Xyvol.1265

Xyvol.1265

It amuses me greatly to give my Necromancer the “Finders Keepers” title.

Better that they remain just a title. Giving in-game bonuses, no matter how small, leads to them becoming just another piece of equipment.

This. They become game mechanics and no longer a fun little extra for those who wish to pursue them.

Quiznos.4296

I’m not familiar with Super bowl rules, but i presume that would improve your ability/chances of winning. That’s not what i’m suggesting.

Haha, yes it would give you an advantage over others.

Ok, so you get more dungeon tokens with the dungeon master achievement, now the “get all skins” dungeon oriented achievements are easier to get, now the sense of achievement for those is lowered and must be increased via an additional even larger reward. Again fueling a cycle that overall is unhealthy for the game.

Menadena.7482

Ah, my misunderstanding. Indeed, that snobbery is uncalled for. Those people don’t deserve you.

If only there was a title that showed you have titles but choose not to show them. Like.. “Title left intentionally blank” ..or “If you’re reading this, you’re standing too close.”

No problem, maybe if I quoted another post it would have been more clear. I was saying that titles already have a use, most probably not the one that was intended, but hey. What is funny was we were talking about past game experiences and I jumped in for organization as soon as I realized the map was not as organized for the event as I thought.

Not that a title that says you have been everywhere means anything. I have came across those titles afking in rather stupid places which anyone who had been there at least once would know. I try to use as wide a range of my titles as possible, some humorously.

Menadena.7482

There are things I would love to see as an achieve/title. For example, everyone has weapons they love and ones they hate. We have 1000 kills for all of them. What if there was one for 1,000 kills with all of them? Sure, you could grind it but part of that time you would be using something you did not like.

Take the hammer. The revenant is the only time I actually liked it as swinging around a stick with a heavy piece of metal on one end strikes me as a bit uncouth.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Cause right now, I personally don’t think they practically do anything.

That’s completely correct and also a good thing. They’re not supposed to do anything.

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Because people then pick the most effective title instead of it being a cosmetic or “I’m proud I did this” thing, everyone in game running around with Combat Medic because it gives the best buff is a little meh.

Quiznos.4296

There are things I would love to see as an achieve/title. For example, everyone has weapons they love and ones they hate. We have 1000 kills for all of them. What if there was one for 1,000 kills with all of them? Sure, you could grind it but part of that time you would be using something you did not like.

Take the hammer. The revenant is the only time I actually liked it as swinging around a stick with a heavy piece of metal on one end strikes me as a bit uncouth.

Weapon master achievement definitely needs a title. It’s the most influential on my gameplay of all the achievements. I helped make the wiki page for that in early days. Determined the least number of professions needed to achieve it… Guardian, Ranger, Engineer (at the time, the elite specs may have changed that).

But I don’t need a buff for it. I’d wear the title with pride regardless.

Posted by: Dreamslayer.7659

Dreamslayer.7659

I don’t mind the idea of some cosmetic or audible changes, but I think titles should be their own reward. They show off what is important to you – pve, crafting, acquisition, etc.

If you add something else, it distorts the motive for going after a title.

Also, two of my hardest accomplishments don’t even have titles (max dyes, max luck) so I’m voting no just out of bitterness.