Why not just be honest?

Why not just be honest?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Clark Skinner.4902

Clark Skinner.4902

Wow this became a topic about something else entirely. I was talking about the farm spot in the bottom of malchor’s, not the one with the walls (i’ve heard of that one but don’t know what it’s called).

Whether it was a reset to end this glitchy endless respawn, or to remove it, there’s no harm in telling us. We have had lots of hidden changes in updates. It’s only practical to be suspicious whenever an update comes.

Why not just be honest?

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Well, it has been answered now. It was just routine maintenance, which was unrelated to whatever happened to the Lyss event. A dev was asked, a dev answered.

Why not just be honest?

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Just another good spot to farm wiped out oh well, not surprised at all since almost every spot that people have gone in mass has be wiped out where it is almost useless to farm anymore. Why can’t they leave some of these places in? Spend more time fixing other content that needs a boost not removing a farm spot that people go to generate cash to enjoy the game!

Because in this particular case, it prevented people from opening a temple they may have wanted. Nice that people want to farm but not at other people’s expense.

This in no way kept people from opening up the temple.

If a group of people really wanted to open the temple all they would have to do is finish the event. Simple as that.

No hard feelings on either side.

Agree with just finishing the event.. disagree with no hard feelings, at least last night when, oblivious to the fact that it was a farming place, I just went to where I saw a bunch of people, assumed that’s where the event chain was for the temple, and started to try to help by destroying the walls… some of the tells I received I won’t repeat here because it would end up as “kitten kitten kitten kitten” anyway.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Why not just be honest?

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

Although I was aware of the farming spot I was reluctant to take part in it myself, even though I could have used the gold/materials generated. It caused quite a bit of acrimony in map chat between those that wanted to farm the event versus those that wanted to complete the event with some rather harsh words going back and forth between the two sides. I stayed out of it.

However ANET seems to have a contradictory philosophy when it comes to farming. They do everything they can to prevent it yet add in everything they can think of to encourage it or even make it a necessity. Even the new Southsun event requires that you farm the area extensively in order to get the chance at a “prize”. The sheer cost in materials for legendary and even ascended items promotes farming yet everything they do prevents it.

They have to decide one way or the other because if things remain as they are now people will find other means/methods/ to use game design glitches to get what they want.

Theftwind (HoD)

Why not just be honest?

Posted by: Dagnis.2936

Dagnis.2936

This is in regards to patches, both mentioned and non mentioned server side ones. I wish you would be more transparent with the changes that you do. It seems like you only mentioned half of the patched content that is changed, and for some of the fine tuning that is changed, you simply say “adjusted the rate for xyz.” In what why did you adjust it? did you increase it? decrease it? I care alot about xyz, I wanna know! Thats only for the stuff mentioned too. I just wish you would explain your patch notes further, adding everything. Another good example is the addition of ascended accessories for 50 ectos and such. When it was added, I read nothing of it in the patch notes (to the best of my memory).

A prime example about an unmentioned server side patch is the loot changes at the popular farming spot that just happened today. I myself farmed there, and I find it annoying that it was not flat out mentioned, even if it wasn’t from the new patch we downloaded. I’m not saying I want to know everything, ie I don’t care if you changed how common a bit of npc dialogue is, But I want to know the stuff that will cause a question in the game (Like how you guys added the npc and achievements for bar brawl but haven’t mentioned it AT ALL in any patch notes, not even a “This npc was added, along with achievements for it. The event is not currently implemented and will be activated in the coming months.”)

Just my 2 cents about the whole patches and the notes you do.

Why not just be honest?

Posted by: GimpCent.9268

GimpCent.9268

Well, it has been answered now. It was just routine maintenance, which was unrelated to whatever happened to the Lyss event. A dev was asked, a dev answered.

It has been answered, but hasnt answered the question…. you dont seem to understand the question

Why not just be honest?

Posted by: Boyd.5438

Boyd.5438

I really wish people would stop quoting the dictionary…anyways…

This was absolutely NOT an exploit.

If a quest specified you needed to kill 10 Undead….but you killed 15 instead, accidentally or on purpose…would that be considered an exploit? Would you report yourself for doing so?

Right, because making sure a word is used properly never helps things :p

This is quite simply a game design/mechanics exploit. Not saying that if it was a crime it’d be a life sentence type crime or even just a “minor” felony (this type would be a misdemeanor). While I don’t doubt this will get changed (probably just remove the drops/exp) I don’t see them banning anyone over it.

why do you guys use the word “exploit” so often? because you think its not right? so not right means exploit?

who are you to judge if its an exploit or not?

it was build this way, intended to be, will be. is that not sufficient?

everything you don’t like is an exploit?

god bless america.

Why not just be honest?

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

This is in regards to patches, both mentioned and non mentioned server side ones. I wish you would be more transparent with the changes that you do. It seems like you only mentioned half of the patched content that is changed, and for some of the fine tuning that is changed, you simply say “adjusted the rate for xyz.” In what why did you adjust it? did you increase it? decrease it? I care alot about xyz, I wanna know! Thats only for the stuff mentioned too. I just wish you would explain your patch notes further, adding everything. Another good example is the addition of ascended accessories for 50 ectos and such. When it was added, I read nothing of it in the patch notes (to the best of my memory).

A prime example about an unmentioned server side patch is the loot changes at the popular farming spot that just happened today. I myself farmed there, and I find it annoying that it was not flat out mentioned, even if it wasn’t from the new patch we downloaded. I’m not saying I want to know everything, ie I don’t care if you changed how common a bit of npc dialogue is, But I want to know the stuff that will cause a question in the game (Like how you guys added the npc and achievements for bar brawl but haven’t mentioned it AT ALL in any patch notes, not even a “This npc was added, along with achievements for it. The event is not currently implemented and will be activated in the coming months.”)

Just my 2 cents about the whole patches and the notes you do.

Why not just be honest?

Posted by: MrSmiley.1543

MrSmiley.1543

If a quest specified you needed to kill 10 Undead….but you killed 15 instead, accidentally or on purpose…would that be considered an exploit? Would you report yourself for doing so?

This is quite simply a game design/mechanics exploit. Not saying that if it was a crime it’d be a life sentence type crime or even just a “minor” felony (this type would be a misdemeanor). While I don’t doubt this will get changed (probably just remove the drops/exp) I don’t see them banning anyone over it.

why do you guys use the word “exploit” so often? because you think its not right? so not right means exploit?

god bless america.

If it was intended they wouldnt have changed it

Why not just be honest?

Boyd.5438

god bless america.

This counters your reply in full.

There were an excessive number of bots at that location on several servers, so the spawns during the event (only) had their loot reduced. No changes were made to any creature outside the event, including wraiths in other locations. We tried to find the simplest, safest change possible. I hope that answers the question, but I really don’t want to get into a debate about “What is farming?” or “Does farming hurt the economy?” or “Economy? It’s a game, who cares?”

Why not just be honest?

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

god bless america.

There were an excessive number of bots at that location on several servers, so the spawns during the event (only) had their loot reduced. No changes were made to any creature outside the event, including wraiths in other locations. We tried to find the simplest, safest change possible. I hope that answers the question, but I really don’t want to get into a debate about “What is farming?” or “Does farming hurt the economy?” or “Economy? It’s a game, who cares?”

Not once did he mention the word exploit.

Why not just be honest?

Boyd.5438

god bless america.

Not once did he mention the word exploit.

read all the quotes.

Why not just be honest?

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

when an unpopular measure is taken without any information, than it becomes suspicious. This was bound to fall ill with most in terms of honesty.

Most changes are either announced, or at least reflected in some patch notes or update post at the news section.

This one wasn’t. Heck, it wasn’t even mentioned untill players sort of pointed at it.

That’s asking for drama and accusations.

Even if it was coincidence, than it would have been better to mention it just to avoid the suspicion.

Change the game the way you see fit. People will play or not.
But you might want to do it less sneaky, or at least ‘less prone to misinterpretation because of coincidence’

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Why not just be honest?

Posted by: lekyii.9856

lekyii.9856

Is this the nerf in fractals all over again!?

Why not just be honest?

Posted by: Tifa Lockheart Ex.9614

Tifa Lockheart Ex.9614

ha and no one believed me when this first incident occurred with pent/shelt stealth nerf back in november. it was all a maintenance patch and nothing more, but yet drop on rare was dramatically decreased. everyone flamed me saying “but it was not in the patch note, your crazy” talk about bad business ethic. expect more bending over and getting the shaft.

Why not just be honest?

Posted by: EXireXs.3602

EXireXs.3602

Isn’t change in amount of loot also called a “change”? hahah
seriouslys bots cant even farm there. he’ll get pushed over by the legde and die instantly. even if the the bot fall into the water, do you expect the bot to come to the place again (through the long stairs) and not die? simply its a BS reason to nerf the farm cause of bots.

(edited by EXireXs.3602)

Why not just be honest?

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

Okay – it’s not an exploit but I think it’s not intended as well – so they fixed it. Now, move on.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Why not just be honest?

Posted by: void.6705

void.6705

when an unpopular measure is taken without any information, than it becomes suspicious. This was bound to fall ill with most in terms of honesty.

Most changes are either announced, or at least reflected in some patch notes or update post at the news section.

This one wasn’t. Heck, it wasn’t even mentioned untill players sort of pointed at it.

That’s asking for drama and accusations.

Even if it was coincidence, than it would have been better to mention it just to avoid the suspicion.

Change the game the way you see fit. People will play or not.
But you might want to do it less sneaky, or at least ‘less prone to misinterpretation because of coincidence’

Well put and agree 100%

Why not just be honest?

Posted by: Moderator.1462

Moderator.1462

Hi everyone,

As the dev team has answered this thread and adressed the topic, th discussion has run its course.

This thread is now closed. Thanks for your understanding.