Why play anything besides guardian?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Guardians out-DPS warriors.

That’s the biggest bull heard on this forum since launch.

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

Also, is it just me, or is the war/guard/ele/thief/ranger setup being ‘best DPS’ mirrors what setup Destiny’s Edge have?

They actually lack a Guardian because Logan always runs away :P

Posted by: Advent Leader.1083

Advent Leader.1083

Also, is it just me, or is the war/guard/ele/thief/ranger setup being ‘best DPS’ mirrors what setup Destiny’s Edge have?

Oooh, so that’s why Snaff died. He had no one blinding/stopping (using Line of Warding)minions and reflecting or absorbing enemy projectiles, as well as aegis’ing him. KITTEN YOU LOGAN!

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Nope. Fully buffed guardian deals more damage than fully buffed warrior.

You may find it hard to believe after looking at your massive hundred blades number, but it’s true.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

Use swiftness on kill runes. Use staff to run long distances.

Posted by: jwaz.1908

jwaz.1908

Ignorance is bliss.

Don’t worry 4 warrior 1 mesmer way will always be the most optimal team setup in dungeons.

Brom Svánigandr – Druid
Nemata Sapshield – Dragonhunter
Lillian Estre – Tempest

Red Falcon.8257

You may find it hard to believe after looking at your massive hundred blades number, but it’s true.

Claims are only true when supported by evidence. I see none here.
“False until proven” is how reality works.

colesy.8490

Claims are only true when supported by evidence. I see none here.
“False until proven” is how reality works.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/guardian/Guardians-in-Dungeon-Runs/first

Guang

I finally got around to modeling thief, which gives me a full DPS tier list, and it looks like this:

Max buffed, from best to worst:

Mesmer (Sw/Sw with 3 phantasms) = ~15k
Thief (D/D backstab) = ~13.5k
Elementalist (fire staff or LH) = ~13k
Guardian (GS+Sword) = ~11k
Necromancer (D/F+WH with all minions) = ~11k
Warrior (Axe+GS) = ~10k
Ranger (Sword and Feline pet) = ~9.5k
Engineer (Grenades) = ~9k

Off the top of my head, anyway. As you can see, ,the difference between the top three and the rest is fairly severe (Ele sits at 13k, while Guardian and Necro are around 11k) but the rest are pretty close together. You can also tell that the top three have “special conditions” on achieving max DPS, as does Necromancer, so Guardian is actually the highest unconditional DPS you will get.

So assuming all buffs, guardian > warrior.

He hasn’t posted his spreadsheet, but his calculations are perfectly in line with what happens in-game. Unless you want to tell us about your 40k hundred blades? Which when divided by its cast time is actually on par with the 10k DPS figure Guang writes?

Red Falcon.8257

That post shows no proofs, those numbers could easily be pulled out of the Great Hole in Divinity Reach if you know what I mean.
There is no data on how he got those numbers at all.

Proving this is pretty simple; just have one Warrior and one Guardian deal his best possible DPS chain for one minute minumum (else it just proves burst but not DPS).
Then compare the total damage and divide it by 60.

Until that test is done, properly and with no mistakes, your claim as the same validity as saying god exists.

colesy.8490

Sigh.

If you don’t want to believe me, make a post in the dungeon forum asking them what you’ve asked here and I’m sure you’ll get a response. I haven’t got access to a computer capable of running GW2 at the moment so I can’t test it.

Red Falcon.8257

Sigh.

If you don’t want to believe me, make a post in the dungeon forum asking them what you’ve asked here and I’m sure you’ll get a response. I haven’t got access to a computer capable of running GW2 at the moment so I can’t test it.

You’re the one making the claim and demanding it is accepted as truth, so you’ve the burden to prove it.
You can’t demand that we just “believe it”, take your word for it.

That is just an unexplained list of arbitraty numbers.
No mention on how he got them, what traits/gear used, for how long the test occurred, what situations he tested, what rotation he used, etc.
Hell, there is no video evidence that he actually did any testing at all.

If you buy into stuff just because “this guy said this” it’s ok, but you can’t expect it to be a norm.

Posted by: Melfice.5091

Melfice.5091

Sigh.

You’re the one making the claim and demanding it is accepted as truth, so you’ve the burden to prove it.

No mention on how he got them, what traits/gear used, for how long the test occurred, what situations he tested, what rotation he used, etc.

If you buy into stuff just because “this guy said this” it’s ok, but you can’t expect it to be a norm.

where is your proof that warriors out dps guardians then?

Professional noob guardian

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

the fury on this forum outdps every class

colesy.8490

Sigh.

Make a thread on the dungeon forum, I insist.

The number crunchers can respond to you better than I can.

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

High survivability, excellent damage, wanted in groups all the time. Really no cons

haha. You said excellent damage.

Posted by: Caramel Ham.4891

Caramel Ham.4891

No wonder its been so hard to find descent players in pugs lately…..the amount of crap here is astounding. In NO other game can you see the amount of ignorance here. In fact, in no other game are there this many noobs playing the game at THIS stage of the game (1 year).

My response to the op is on the first page. You either believe it or remain a bad.

Posted by: Caramel Ham.4891

Caramel Ham.4891

Sigh.

Make a thread on the dungeon forum, I insist.

The number crunchers can respond to you better than I can.

Don’t you know what the noobs call the dungeon sub forum? I think it goes something like the scum of the game.

Its a shame too. If most noobs would learn something from there, the quality of pugs would go up.

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

High survivability, excellent damage, wanted in groups all the time. Really no cons

As a owner of 2 fully geared Guardians and over 4.5k hours on them, they’re very solid for PVE, but then again PVE pretty much any set up works there(Dungeons are pretty meh). SPVP and WvW they have the cons of not being mobile and having to gear and spec a certain way to kill anything above a average player. Most guardians are pigeon hold into a bunker builds. especially in Spvp. If you want to deal damage then you have to gear and spec for it. If you want to survive then you have to do the same, as opposed to other classes. It’s pretty easy to face roll guardians that aren’t exactly healway specced. Especially with Engi, necro and, faceroll condi spam builds or even mesmers.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

At least until the next set of profession adjustments.

/cough

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: Ensabah Nhur.1064

Ensabah Nhur.1064

Max buffed, from best to worst:
Mesmer (Sw/Sw with 3 phantasms) = ~15k
Thief (D/D backstab) = ~13.5k
Elementalist (fire staff or LH) = ~13k
Guardian (GS+Sword) = ~11k
Necromancer (D/F+WH with all minions) = ~11k
Warrior (Axe+GS) = ~10k
Ranger (Sword and Feline pet) = ~9.5k
Engineer (Grenades) = ~9k

Any of these DPS numbers are “spreadsheet dioramas”, where any person knows that the true DPS they do is circumvented by gameplay factors not aligned within a spreadsheet. Does the boss mob you are fighting have higher armor resistance? How long can you stand toe to toe with said boss without getting 1 or 2 shotted? What kind if AOE has the boss placed on the ground to cause you to stop DPSing, dodging, moving out of the way to avoid getting downed or dead? In most scenarios, there are too many mechanics to say which toon can do the most or the best DPS – unless we’re talking about a certain Abomb from WoW. All in all, enjoy the game as it was meant to be played. No one can multitask the perfect DPS in every situation, simply because that isn’t possible and it isn’t all that much fun. Every toon has a purpose, some can execute that purpose better than other toons, perhaps marginally, but when placed in a predicament (let’s go with the new Tequatl encounter, for example), your DPS will not be all that stellar. It’s about helping yourself to help others establish a more rewarding endeavour to overcome these obstacles. Take it as you will…

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Its a shame too. If most noobs would learn something from there, the quality of pugs would go up.

I’d say they would ascend.

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

He says guards has low DPS and then goes on to say his GS ranger does more damage, lol ok.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

Posted by: Dementia.8621

Dementia.8621

[Walks in and reads]
“Guardians out-DPS warriors.”
[Walks out laughing hysterically]

Zackie.8923

As a owner of 2 fully geared Guardians and over 4.5k hours on them, they’re very solid for PVE, but then again PVE pretty much any set up works there(Dungeons are pretty meh). SPVP and WvW they have the cons of not being mobile and having to gear and spec a certain way to kill anything above a average player. Most guardians are pigeon hold into a bunker builds. especially in Spvp. If you want to deal damage then you have to gear and spec for it. If you want to survive then you have to do the same, as opposed to other classes. It’s pretty easy to face roll guardians that aren’t exactly healway specced. Especially with Engi, necro and, faceroll condi spam builds or even mesmers.

i am just curious, why do you need to make 2 charr guardians?

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Because warrior is anet’s goldenchild.

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

i am just curious, why do you need to make 2 charr guardians?

I have multiple reasons. One is I do love the guardian class and has been my main class since launch. Two, i don’t like carrying around extra armor sets, and each character I make excels in a specific area the other doesn’t. Three Charr are awesome and all 6 of my characters are charr. I’m a roleplayer to so that should help explain that last bit.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

My guardian is only level 26 or something so I could be wrong, but it seems like you constantly have to use skills and weapon abilities to keep your movement speed up.

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

I will tell you why…

Because Elementalists are OP in some dungeons.
There is no dps equal to the berzerker Warrior in PvE.Yes thieves and Eles are close to it.
Thieves and Mesmers make a good port-stealth combo.
Necros are awesome for FotM 50+ being used as tanks with their double hp.

There are many reasons to play other classes different from the guardian

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

…because there might just be people (like me) who don’t enjoy the guardian gameplay as much as they enjoy other professions. Also, fun beats efficiency in a game.

Polka will never die

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Why stop at just having all buffs? Lets presume all conditions on the targets as well. Then a mes with 3 iwarlocks out then swapping to 1h sword will have the highest dps. ’Cause I mean all bosses/mobs just run around with everything on them naturally and we run around with all buffs all the time. Phantasms are immortal as well.

(Aka why that more damage stuff with full buffs/max vuln is meaningless bullkitten)

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

He has 16k health because he can’t play very well and has to use defensive gear to compensate for his inability to dodge.

Lol. I like how this guy immediately associates a bad player with defensive gear but i’ll forgive him since he has no idea who i am.

I’ll even throw in a hint why theory doesn’t align with practice sometimes.

Mob hp and burst damage.

Guardians do have good sustained damage but their initial burst if you factor in the chain potential of certain “other” classes make their damage not as par in the initial 10 seconds of a fight, which is usually how long it takes to kill the casual off the batch boss type mob that doesn’t have good mechanics with a cohesive group.

You know what, i’m going to throw you another bone here so you can learn a thing or two. To say that a guardian with defensive gear (I don’t know what you classify as defensive tbh, anything that’s not zerker, yeah, you’re probably one of those lol) is kinda silly. You obviously don’t go around carrying pugs all the time because if you did, you would realise that playing as a zerk build guardian is not capable of doing that. When defensive guardians play, they play to ensure that other party members survive. Even, in the worst case scenario where the party fails, you can still solo the boss yourself easily.

By the way, when I think defensive, i’m talking about knights gear, which basically sacrifices the crit % for some toughness.

Also, just some homework. It’s very possible to get about 16k hp with a zerker build/gear <I think it’s about 15k-16k, it’s been awhile>

(edited by Lafiel.9372)

Posted by: Breaking Bad.6241

Breaking Bad.6241

Why stop at just having all buffs? Lets presume all conditions on the targets as well. Then a mes with 3 iwarlocks out then swapping to 1h sword will have the highest dps. ’Cause I mean all bosses/mobs just run around with everything on them naturally and we run around with all buffs all the time. Phantasms are immortal as well.

(Aka why that more damage stuff with full buffs/max vuln is meaningless bullkitten)

It’s not that hard to get max buffs in an organized group.

colesy.8490

Any of these DPS numbers are “spreadsheet dioramas”, where any person knows that the true DPS they do is circumvented by gameplay factors not aligned within a spreadsheet. Does the boss mob you are fighting have higher armor resistance? How long can you stand toe to toe with said boss without getting 1 or 2 shotted? What kind if AOE has the boss placed on the ground to cause you to stop DPSing, dodging, moving out of the way to avoid getting downed or dead? In most scenarios, there are too many mechanics to say which toon can do the most or the best DPS – unless we’re talking about a certain Abomb from WoW. All in all, enjoy the game as it was meant to be played. No one can multitask the perfect DPS in every situation, simply because that isn’t possible and it isn’t all that much fun. Every toon has a purpose, some can execute that purpose better than other toons, perhaps marginally, but when placed in a predicament (let’s go with the new Tequatl encounter, for example), your DPS will not be all that stellar. It’s about helping yourself to help others establish a more rewarding endeavour to overcome these obstacles. Take it as you will…

Of course it’s theoretical DPS, (obviously any class with minion mechanics isn’t going to be consistently hitting their peak) but it’s not that hard to maintain a basic DPS rotation to get figures close to this, especially for classes with skills with built-in evades so you don’t have to stop attacking for that half second of dodging.

The last part of your post was just the usual play how you want rambling.

He says guards has low DPS and then goes on to say his GS ranger does more damage, lol ok.

Who did?

[Walks in and reads]
“Guardians out-DPS warriors.”
[Walks out laughing hysterically]

Awww, you mad your hundred blades isn’t actually all that good?

There is no dps equal to the berzerker Warrior in PvE.Yes thieves and Eles are close to it.

Did you even read the thread? There are five classes with higher theoretical DPS than a berserker warrior.

If your group isn’t stacking buffs and vulnerability in a dungeon, then they’re really not that good. In a decent group, all buffs is easy.

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Oooh, so that’s why Snaff died. He had no one blinding/stopping (using Line of Warding)minions and reflecting or absorbing enemy projectiles, as well as aegis’ing him. KITTEN YOU LOGAN!

Nah. Snaff was just busy putting the psionic beatdown on Kralky … and forgot about fun things like Blurred Frenzy and Distortion. That’s a Mesmer’s life for you, always getting done dirty by those darn party members … until someone wants a Portal.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

You totally missed my point.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Yep, so glad it was the class I chose as my first 80 … it totally payed for all my other class’ gear no matter how crappily I played it in mostly MF armor

You forgot it’s also getting more buffs this next patch and no nerfs.
Warrior’s getting almost the same treatment too it looks like.

PVE is easy enough that it doesn’t matter what class you bring.

Uh huh….. * looks over at the Twilight Assault forum * … ya keep telling them that :p
I don’t think the people who use the LFG tool can hear you though

(edited by ilr.9675)

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Now, as for the actual topic. Some of us happen to main Mesmer – and, frankly – after that, it’s kinda annoying to level a Guardian. Similar kind of slow OOC speed, more simple playstyle. It’s honestly as if nothing entertains me unless I’ve gotta run my behind off to smash enemy faces. /shrug

Although, I’m working on a burner build, Guard-wise … that might be enough to keep me entertained for a while.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

haviz.1340

You obviously don’t go around carrying pugs all the time because if you did, you would realise that playing as a zerk build guardian is not capable of doing that. When defensive guardians play, they play to ensure that other party members survive. Even, in the worst case scenario where the party fails, you can still solo the boss yourself easily.

It definitely is possible to carry the worst pugs with berserker guardian. I’m sure I did that even in Arah.

By the way, when I think defensive, i’m talking about knights gear, which basically sacrifices the crit % for some toughness.

Knights doesnt sacrifce crit damage for toughness but power for toughness and crit damage for power.

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

I’m not one to advocate the “berserker is the end-all gear”-mentality, however, some of you should do a little more research before mocking Colesy.
Like it or not, the concept of Guardian outdps’ing Warrior under the most optimal circumstances is not new and has in fact been proven. I have yet to see any pull out the calculations to prove otherwise here.

So generally speaking a Warrior will consistently outdps a Guardian, but the Guardian has the higher damage potential. Also, if you run dps Guardian you’ll notice the damage is quite significant all around. It just comes in faster but smaller packages.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: guanlongwucaii.3162

guanlongwucaii.3162

what I’m not sure about is whether or not the optimal DPS for guardians includes a GS rotation or if sword AA is enough. in any case, their damage is on par with warriors in a decent group.
people should stop being blinded by big HB numbers when in actual fact axe/mace is equivalent or even better DPS than GS axe/mace unless the boss is up against a wall.

tbh I would only include thief/ele in the comfortably higher DPS than warrior category, because many fights end before a mesmer can summon 3 clones (and they die sometimes) and guardian DPS isn’t that much better than warrior.

as to why not everyone plays guardian, I guess it’s because some people don’t find the playstyle fun. I myself enjoy it (though I never get to use mine in guild runs)

Zackie.8923

i am probably an oddball

but i play guardian because it’s main color is blue :S

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

i am probably an oddball

but i play guardian because it’s main color is blue :S

dont worry I understand you. Id give anything for mesmers “purple” to be red. Anything. or Gold.

Anyway Guard has the potential to out DPS warrior, as do many other classes. The numbers are there and if you refuse to believe it run it yourself. However Warrior reaches its max damage much easier than most other classes except maybe thief.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Because when/if they nerf guardian, everyone who thinks like you do will be totally screwed. At any rate, most of the world is easy enough and some people like to challenge themselves…not everyone, but some people.

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

You obviously don’t go around carrying pugs all the time because if you did, you would realise that playing as a zerk build guardian is not capable of doing that. When defensive guardians play, they play to ensure that other party members survive. Even, in the worst case scenario where the party fails, you can still solo the boss yourself easily.

It definitely is possible to carry the worst pugs with berserker guardian. I’m sure I did that even in Arah.

Knights doesnt sacrifce crit damage for toughness but power for toughness and crit damage for power.

Your definition of carry isn’t able to support other players the same one a tougher guardian can. For example, you can’t soak a decent amount of damage to keep a player from dying in a down state.

Also, I don’t know if any of you realise, a lot of the mobs basic ai actually naturally targets high toughness players, even bosses have a natural tendency for target high toughness players in certain phases or (the whole phase) e.g. Lupi. Just by wearing the gear, you’re saving your party members skin unknowingly already.

Some people may define carrying as being the sole survivor, I define carrying as being a player which brings the ability of the party as a whole higher by giving the right supports at the right time while doing good dps.

Last bit:
I’m talking about it in general as a stat (yes you get more toughness because it becomes the primary in knights gear).

(edited by Lafiel.9372)

haviz.1340

Your definition of carry isn’t able to support other players the same one a tougher guardian can. For example, you can’t soak a decent amount of damage to keep a player from dying in a down state.

Also, I don’t know if any of you realise, a lot of the mobs basic ai actually naturally targets high toughness players, even bosses have a natural tendency for target high toughness players in certain phases or (the whole phase) e.g. Lupi. Just by wearing the gear, you’re saving your party members skin unknowingly already.

Some people may define carrying as being the sole survivor, I define carrying as being a player which brings the ability of the party as a whole higher by giving the right supports at the right time while doing good dps.

Last bit:
I’m talking about it in general as a stat (yes you get more toughness because it becomes the primary in knights gear).

Carrying a pug means they completed a dungeon but without you they wouldn’t have.

Posted by: Breaking Bad.6241

Breaking Bad.6241

You totally missed my point.

Then you missed the point of the guy who did the calculations.

Posted by: Advent Leader.1083

Advent Leader.1083

Minor nitpick on toughness bit: it initially helps in focusing first aggro on you if everyone enters aggro range at the same time BUT damage will even out the aggro table within the fight.

Unless the boss has frontloaded attacks in which shield+toughness works due to you soaking it up (even then, you can probably just dodge it if it’s not a channel/AOE/etc), you can aggro even better if your damage is more or less the equal or greater than the group while having higher armor (i.e, guards/warriors will most likely get targeted first unless mobs have custom scripts [see: golem boss in CoE] or higher armor enters combat last, in which case inherent armor cannot trump already dealt DPS).

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

I’ve ended up playing mostly Guardian because they feel so solid in every aspect of the game. From zerg WvW to roaming, zerg events to solo exploration, dungeons and spvp, they seem to have a good role to play in each.

Elementalist comes close to feeling that way, but got some whack-a-mole balancing a while back that left them feeling flat to me (after it had been my main the first six months or so of the game).

On all of the other professions I’ve played, I feel like they are clunky and not much fun in some area of the game. Guardian, however, I can take anywhere and feel like I’m contributing.

They may not be the best at everything, or even anything, but that sort of versatility has made Guardian my main for a while now.

I’d love for this aspect of the Guardian to be the touchstone for how they balance the rest of the professions. Guardians have felt like a very stable class for a long time. They don’t seem to suffer the buff/nerf swings of ANet’s balancing, and are able to function well wherever you take them.

Caveat: I haven’t played warrior or ranger much yet, so that sort of “solid in any portion of the game” may apply to them as well. From reading the forums, I’d guess it’s true of warrior, but not ranger.

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

That post shows no proofs, those numbers could easily be pulled out of the Great Hole in Divinity Reach if you know what I mean.
There is no data on how he got those numbers at all.

Proving this is pretty simple; just have one Warrior and one Guardian deal his best possible DPS chain for one minute minumum (else it just proves burst but not DPS).
Then compare the total damage and divide it by 60.

Until that test is done, properly and with no mistakes, your claim as the same validity as saying god exists.

The hilarity is you don’t realize the same can be said about your claim.

Posted by: Astewart.8415

Astewart.8415

[quote=2980348;colesy.8490:]