Why play anything besides guardian?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

Does AH support the party – Y/N

Yes, mentioned above several times, it supports the party through aggro management and direct player support.

Healing yourself is not supporting your party. Aggro management is primarily through dealing the highest amount of damage, which is precisely why I’m constantly taking aggro when I PUG dungeons, the no-skills in the group who stack toughness and vitality are doing jack all damage while I’m carrying almost all of the DPS so the boss sticks to me like glue.

Yes, and healing especially if your group is in an idealize position will help you live through burst damage. Sure it’s not as great as dodging since that dodges everything. Also, dodging only works so well against things that can be dodged… there are some things that can’t be dodged but I guess you guys don’t play those content much.

To offer you examples, Subject Alpha and Lupicus. Healing is not going to save you if p2/3 Alpha lands damage on you, only a condi-cleanse will for the bleeds, and that’s provided that you even survive (it’s OHKO for low-HP classes). Also, there are hardly any undodgeable attacks, the only attack recently which I’ve seen and that I feel has a poor choreograph is Alpha’s teeth attack (teeth of mordremoth?), he literally raises his hand for a split second and then does an unblockable attack.

Of course it still is, you can still build enough healing for a significant amount by yourself. It just works much more effective with other party members.

So for AH to be effective you have to use bad gear, which means it doesn’t even matter at that point if it’s any good, your build will just be bad right there.

Yes, of course it is, unless you’re ONE shotting that boss so fast it doesn’t even hit you, I don’t see how ANY healing is NOT relevant.

So you go against a boss and you’re all going full DPS. Say you’re a standard 10/30/0/5/25 sw/f + gs guard. That’s three blocks on focus, your passive aegis, virtue and retreat for more aegis, two dodges, vigor on crit for more dodging, projectile reflection if needed and even hold the line for protection, but then you could just roll sw/f + hammer if you wanted protection.

Healing is not relevant, I speed clear content every now and then, and I can assure you that healing outside of your class burst heal (for longer fights) is irrelevant.

Just going to bring up the major points since I stand by what I said above most mobs actually pull from high toughness rather than highest damage. It varies with mob of course but in general. AH itself doesn’t support others directly but it enables the player to support them through other means. (again, I actually still don’t understand why all the hammering on AH lol, if lets say a guardian magically decided to swap out AH for let’s say, purity, does that build magically become not selfish and good because it now removes 1 condition from you instead of providing consistently healing lol.

Actually, there is quite a few mobs that do unavoidable attacks nowadays. AOE wise not so much but the old AC spider aoe used to be like that.

I’m going to say this again, unless you’re one shotting those bosses, healing will always be relevant, healing might not save you if you don’t have the base HP to survive it, but it’s what is after (i.e. bringing your hp back up from that damage) that is important.

Also, I notice you guys like to talk about the most idealize situation. Where you have the strongest premade group, everyone wearing the same gear, knows what they’re doing, makes no mistakes at all and rolls through content without trouble. I have done my fair share of speed runs in full zerker gear in most dungeons and I can tell you, even the best player makes mistakes, I’ve seen plenty of players down or even die while bursting down a boss. I guess in the end the boss did go down but someone did occasionaly die but I mean yeah, it just happens. But I mean, god forbid, i’m sure that kind of stuff never happens to you. I mean, if that did, that would not only justify the use of non zerker gear in whatever pve environment you’re playing in but by DYING, it actually made you a bad player because you couldn’t survive. no…wait, it’s not the zerker guys fault, it’s the guy who wore PPT and so there wasn’t enough dps and thus the lead to the death of him 4 seconds into the fight. Shame on him

I for one like to play with pugs and teaching newer players how to get through the content. I use PPT gear but not necessarily AH, It depends on what I was doing before hand (wvw etc) but I find it’s a good all rounder to covers all sorts of content (oh hey look, another reason to use PPT).

(edited by Lafiel.9372)

Posted by: Konrad.9587

Konrad.9587

Tell me more about how those zerkers are doing more damage on the ground than I am during my uptime. I’ll just be here, laughing.

Had all the party been zerker, not 2 or 3 players, no one would have died. The foes would perish first.

No reason to laugh at zerkers going down in melee, while you stay ranged with your PTV/AH.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Oh, more examples. Sweet. Until zerker is considered the “meta” for literally 100% of the content in the game, or even half, it’s still a moot point.

Excluding uncrittable bosses zerker is considered meta everywhere. I’m sure that’s more than half of the content.

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

Had all the party been zerker, not 2 or 3 players, no one would have died. The foes would perish first.

And yet, I never hear about these Aetherpath zerker speedruns. Interesting.

No reason to laugh at zerkers going down in melee, while you stay ranged with your PTV/AH.

I don’t use AH, and I’m in melee right there in them. Knight’s armor, soldier trinks, zerker greatsword, and a still-respectable amount of damage. The difference between me and the zerkers on the ground is that I’m actually making that red bar go down. This, of course, with your typical boss lovin’ on me somethin’ fierce with my high toughness.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: Adam.4103

Adam.4103

And yet, I never hear about these Aetherpath zerker speedruns. Interesting.

I don’t use AH, and I’m in melee right there in them. Knight’s armor, soldier trinks, zerker greatsword, and a still-respectable amount of damage. The difference between me and the zerkers on the ground is that I’m actually making that red bar go down. This, of course, with your typical boss lovin’ on me somethin’ fierce with my high toughness.

I’m laughing at how clueless you are… Of course people speed run the Aether path in full zerker groups. And if I survive for an entire fight in full zerker gear I’m doing significantly more damage than you and you’re only being a liability.

Adam The Vanquisher
Gandara

Posted by: Konrad.9587

Konrad.9587

Knight’s armor, soldier trinks, zerker greatsword, and a still-respectable amount of damage. The difference between me and the zerkers on the ground is that I’m actually making that red bar go down.

The joys and sorrows of no DPS meter. I’d be curious to verify your respectable amount of damage in correlation to what a zerker did before going downed.

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Except they’re actually carrying you because without their DPS the fight would go on for longer, leaving more room for error, leaving more time to faceplant. You’re contributing nothing by using defensive stats, it makes you a leech.

Tell me more about how those zerkers are doing more damage on the ground than I am during my uptime. I’ll just be here, laughing.

Zerker is used to clear Arah, Fractal 48 and Fractal 79.

Oh, more examples. Sweet. Until zerker is considered the “meta” for literally 100% of the content in the game, or even half, it’s still a moot point.

If you make it harder for zerkers to speed run it, you make it 4x harder for your average PUG to run it. Please think before you type.

Numbers pulled out of thin air, completely unrationalized. Nice. You should really take your own advice on that last bit.

If you’re doing such a great job supporting the zerkers in PVT, why are they dying? Cause you’re obviously not DPSing any and if you’re not even helping keep other people alive I don’t know what you propose to be doing.

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

In situations where I definitely have to go ranged, such as fire shaman in fractals. Scepter is the only way to go. So you are incorrect in saying that Guardians lack ranged attacks.

You should have instead said that Staff is horrible and Guardian shouldn’t be using it unless in open world farming to leech as much loot as possible….which is what I do.

You being serious? Why would I stick a sceptor into a perfectly fine swap slot? I can just use a vendor kit and salvage the scepter for dark matter. Vendor kit prolly more dps than a scepter, plus I can still have good melee weapons slotted. Or even a staff for group run speed. A scepter??

First, you gotta specify if you are talking about pve or pvp. Pvp I know nothing about as I find both spvp and wvw as boring as throwing rocks in a river.

Let me answer you question since it seems like you never bothered to read what you just quoted.

“In situations where I definitely have to go ranged”

Also, scepter does a ton of dmg for it being a RANGED weapon. Obviously NOT a replacement for melee weapons.

Equipping a staff for the sole purpose of grp speed run is so worthless I do not even take the time to do so in PVE. Other classes can do it better than Guardians can without sacrificing 99% of dps. Sure I can unequip it and equip something else….but why bother? The only exceptions where staff is better is for farming events (leeching) and TA dungeon to run through the skippable parts (then instantly it goes back into my bag).

No, run speed is important in this game. About every guard has a staff for wvw and places like AC the run speed on the staff is valuable. But engaged in general combat, I’d much rather equip a vendor kit charzooka than need to decide weather to drop my GS or mace/shield for a sceptor.

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

High survivability, excellent damage, wanted in groups all the time. Really no cons

Eh, be close minded if you like. you payed for the game, so you play it how you like. I, on the other hand, care more about the fun I have with the player, and not the profession they play.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

High survivability, excellent damage, wanted in groups all the time. Really no cons

Wanted in groups all the time? Sounds like a solo PvE player’s complaints… LFG tool works good for that. Moving on…

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

Summary of the thread:

Someone thinks guardian is best.

Bunch of folks mock them, some bring up civil points like playing for fun, not liking Guards and a challenge.

Zerker elitists come in with “lol noob l2p” arguments, mock everyone who isn’t on the zerker train.

Support Guard players argue back.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled pointless gear fight.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

Cuz we guards are the best? duh!

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Zenix.1706

Zenix.1706

Tarinis.6054:

Hahaha

High survivability maybe but warrior is immortal with tank/shout build
Excellent damage omg you play GW2 ? warrior has the best damage for dps, guardian is good for burst but not for dps.

Guardian solo lupi in 5:29 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFARUv413kk
He use the skill “reflexion wall” without it he kills in 10mn or more

Warrior solo lupi in 4:48 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExJRVBrgbdo
He use GS and S/A, no wall dude, just awesome damage dude.

A guardian is far to do more damage than a warrior.

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

I like such fun topics, a good way to lighten up!^^

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Posted by: Trice.4598

Trice.4598

Tarinis.6054:

Hahaha

Excellent damage omg you play GW2 ? warrior has the best damage for dps, guardian is good for burst but not for dps.

First off, wall of reflection is a huge part of guardian DPS, it’s like saying a warrior would take 8 mins without using hundred blade.

Second, It has been said many time, Warrior are better self buffed, Guardian start shinning when fully buffed in party.

And I’d like to point out, being a average guardian is easy, being a good guardian is hard. Using aegis at the right moment, blinding foes, removing party conditions it look easy but believe me, I have yet to see a guardian (other than my guild) actually use a aegis right before the spider queen “bite” in AC, it’s a little thing, but that’s how people die, that’s why bunker guardian think zerker sucks when they see the warrior die ( because they didn’t aegis )

Guardian are often the most important part of the party in DnT and their jobs is much harder than warrior in my opinion.

Posted by: Nurgle.6597

Nurgle.6597

because unlike a warrior, guardians can’t do 25k dmg with a single skill

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

I like a guardian in the group for the buffs. I could care less about his/her damage. Is it really that much better than, say a thief? With my thief, I can rock consecutive 8-9k unloads(back to back). Not sure a guardian and pump out 8-9k swirleys back to back.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Zenix.1706

Zenix.1706

Tarinis.6054:

Hahaha

First off, wall of reflection is a huge part of guardian DPS, it’s like saying a warrior would take 8 mins without using hundred blade.

Second, It has been said many time, Warrior are better self buffed, Guardian start shinning when fully buffed in party.

And I’d like to point out, being a average guardian is easy, being a good guardian is hard. Using aegis at the right moment, blinding foes, removing party conditions it look easy but believe me, I have yet to see a guardian (other than my guild) actually use a aegis right before the spider queen “bite” in AC, it’s a little thing, but that’s how people die, that’s why bunker guardian think zerker sucks when they see the warrior die ( because they didn’t aegis )

Guardian are often the most important part of the party in DnT and their jobs is much harder than warrior in my opinion.

Ah ok I understand but a guardian can’t use reflexion wall everytime, all boss don’t have projectile :/